Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,738
    You have to be the original owner of the car, and of course still own it, to be eligible for the class action suit award. Perhaps that is what was meant by "not eligible."
  • smith20smith20 Posts: 256
    I agree we need to drive it more to truly understand its fuel economy . . . probably over a few tanks of gas. But, the predicted mpg by the trip computer was just so much better than I was expecting that I decided to post a message. I agree the Elantra is very quiet. We were going about 55-60 on the highway and between the quietness of the car and people passing us (at about 15-20mph probably) I *REALLY* felt like we were going about 35mph . . . definitely a great feeling. I can see we're going to have some fun (and affordable if the mpg keeps up! haha) road trips this summer! :)
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    I looked at my letter again, and it states that I am in group D, and not eligible for any compensation. I am the original owner, and did not accept any extended warranties or other compensation. Does this vary by state? I am in Texas. Where gas prices are the highest in the states history. Cheapest in town is $1.74 for self serve regular.
    If you are in Group D, you ARE eligible for compensation--the $50 debit card or $100 dealer card.

You are lucky re gas--it's $1.89 or more for self serve regular in the Twin Cities. Glad my wife is driving that Elantra GT now instead of our old Grand Caravan.
  • "You have to be the original owner of the car, and of course still own it, to be eligible for the class action suit award."

I transferred a 2001 Elantra to my married daughter. Is she eligible?

Also, on gas prices -- regular was about $2.159/gallon on my way to work this morning...don't know what they will be on my return home after work...(Southern California).
    If your daugher has title to the car, then I think the answer is "no", since you are no longer the registered owner.
  • You may be right! I was hoping that since Hyundai treats all family members as original owners for warranty purposes (at least they did in 2001), that the same logic would apply to the class action award.

BTW, regular unleaded was 2.199 last night, the same this morning. There are plenty higher -- these prices are the lowest in my area, other than extreme off-brands which are as low as 2.159 this morning...
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Good lord! And I was getting so ill with $1.89 89 octane that I switched to $1.79 87 octane on a few of my cars. I guess us Floridians don't have it too bad.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I spoke too soon!! 87 octane is now at $1.93!!!! My god, what a huge increase from the last time I filled up! I think I need to retire my Tiburon V6 for awhile and tough it out in my 84 VW without AC.
    Up 16 cents from yesterday. $25 to fill up my GT. And it isn't even close to Memorial Day!
  • @$2.199 -- at least as of this morning...maybe you guys will catch up!
  • baber1baber1 Posts: 49
    Averaged 30.2 mpg with my Elantra GLS 5 spd. This is very close to what my Accent auto got. I am pretty pleased since the Elantra is much bigger and more powerful then the Accent. I payed $1.859 a gal here in Florida.
  • hmownerhmowner Posts: 23
    While balancing the tires, the TireBarn people noticed that two of my steel OEM wheels were slightly warped and this caused the tire to wobbled a bit causing vibration at 65+ mph.

Hyundai Dealer near by was asking $80 for a new OEM steel wheel, so I purchased a set of new custom aluminum wheels instead (about $75 each). Unfortunately, this did NOT immediately remove the shimmy problem. At our wits end, the TireBarn people speculated that the wheel may not be mounted exactly at the center and installed "Center Hub Ring" which acts like a guide to ensure that the wheel gets mounted exactly at the center to the car.

Boy! that fixed the problem. I cannot feel any shimmy. It's smooth all the way to 95mph -- yeah I pushed Elantra to test when I could feel the shimmy, but no shimmy at all! :->
    I read somewhere that the Elantra can be bought with a 2.0 liter turbodiesel in Europe. I think it is rated at 115 HP. I wonder what kind of mileage this Elantra gets?
  • firemanjackfiremanjack Posts: 122
    Hey bro...Have you had a shimmy in the front end since new?.Do you have a standard tranny? I've never heard of a center hub ring, but the science makes sense..Good for you bro...Jack
    Glad to hear you fixed your problem too. I picked up my Elantra GLS 5 speed last week. So far no shimmy problem thank goodness!! I have to remember about your fix in case my car develops the problem. Happy motoring!!!
  • jprybajpryba Posts: 201
    I wonder if those hub centering rings would do the trick on the OEM wheels...

We've been discussing Elantra tire/wheel vibration issues on the problems and solutions board. If you haven't read that yet, please do so and leave any helpful comments that might help us solve our minor (but still annoying) to major vibration/shimmy issues.

Maybe we can get this silly issue figured out once and for all and get back to enjoying our Elantras for the otherwise good cars they are : )
  • granolajgranolaj Posts: 10
    Do the back seats in the Elantra GT hatchback fold down flat? I've checked Hyundai's web site, but I can't really tell from the photos.

Thanks!
  • jprybajpryba Posts: 201
    Yes, they should fold down flat if you remove the headrests.
    To elaborate on that a bit, the back seat folds down almost flat if you don't fold the seat bottom. If you fold the seat bottom (simple procedure), then the seat backs fold fully flat. Also, the seat bottom is divided 60/40 just like the seat back is so you can have just part of the seat folded flat or all of it. The other little touches I appreciate are the retainers built into the seat back, to hold the seat belt buckles so they don't get buried when you fold the seat, and the fact that there is enough room under the folded seat bottom to store the headrests, so they don't get in the way.
  • I called my daughter over the weekend (I transferred a 2001 Elantra to her in 2003) and she received the class action settlement papers.

So the settlement does transcend original owners into the immediate family like the warranty does (did?).
  • granolajgranolaj Posts: 10
    Thanks for info, backy and jpryba!

I have another question: Does anyone have information about specs for the 2005 Elantra?
    All I have is an educated guess, based on some facts. Hyundai's normal cycle for new designs is five years, and I've seen references on some car sites to the Elantra redesign due for the 2006 model year. Here's a link to the most info I've found on the '06 Elantra:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 37591

That would mean there would most likely be few changes in the '05 Elantra, since it was just refreshed for '04.
  • cgr45cgr45 Posts: 33
    Hello everyone.

My girlfriend is in the market for a new car. After much research and test driving a few cars she decided to buy an 04 GT Sedan with moonroof, ABS and TCS. She loves everything about the car. She says that it's "cute."

Anyways, my question is how much should she pay for this car? The TMV for the car is $14,440. With taxes and registartion we should be looking at about $15,500. Is this a good price or should she offer something along the lines $14,000?

She's paying cash for the car. I don't know if this will be an advantage for her. We live in jersey City, NJ and the dealer that we visted is Difeo Hyundai.

Does anyone have any experiences dealing with this dealer? Any recommendations to other dealers?

Thank you for your time and help.
  • browneybrowney Posts: 104
    Just wanted to pass on to everyone to watch out for shady service departments.
    I had a transmission speed sensor go bad on my 01 elantra the other day. It was repaired under warranty but the service tech told the service manager that my car also should have a throttle body cleaning and it needed new front brakes.
    I asked why it needed the TBC and was told by the service manager that it is part of the normal hyundai preventative maintenace in the manual.
    This of course is a crock and is nowhere to be found in the owner's manuals or even the shop manuals which I own.
    I had also just checked the brakes a few weeks ago so I asked how bad the tech said they were. The tech said there was only 10-15% left.
    I said I would check them again when I got home.
    I checked them and they measured 5.5mm of pad left of the original 11mm. The minimum spec according to the hyundai shop manual is 2mm.
    So I called the hyundai customer complaint dept and told them all about this service dept.
    This particular one is Rick Case Hyundai in Duluth GA. Be careful out there y'all and watch out for these rip off artists. ;-)
    Hyundai specifically states DO NOT perform the throttle body cleaning as it generally does more harm than good on their particular design.
    SERVICE MANUAL
      Applies to: Accent 2000-2002 and Elantra 2001-2002
    GROUP
    Fuel System Fuel Delivery System

INSPECTION
    Check the throttle body for cracks.

Check for restriction in the vacuum port or passage.

Check for interference when moving the accelerator cable.

CAUTION
    Throttle valve set screw was adjusted in the production line with the air volume (0.516 ± 5% g/sec) during idling. So please DO NOT ADJUST IT voluntarily.

When the idle rpm is out of specification, check the relevant sensors and their input or output value first.

The throttle body does not need to be cleaned because carbon in throttle body does not affect the system's operation at all.
  • altsuvaltsuv Posts: 53
    Does anyone have any experiences dealing with this dealer? Any recommendations to other dealers?

Since you are right accross the river, I can recommend Hyundai of Manhattan. I bought my used 02 GLS at the end of February, and I thought they were very good. Don't know what happens when you buy a car out of state as far as taxes & stuff.

One other suggestion is to check out any dealers on Better Business Bureaus website - I think it's bbb.com - and see how many complaints they have against them. When I was shopping, I checked out the quantity of complaints against H. of Manhattan & 2 others in Queens & long island - the other two had ALOT more. Bear in mind that almost every business will have some complaints against them. Look to see if they resolved their complaints, and compare the qty of complaints to other dealers.

good luck
    I brought my 99 Accent in early this year to have the oxygen sensor replaced. I told the service manager the engine light was on and the engine was running rough. When I told him it was probably the O2 sensor he said a bad O2 sensor wouldnt cause a rough running engine. He later told me the new Bosh platinum plus 4 sparkplugs I had installed 30,000 miles before were the wrong plugs. He wanted $150 to replace the plugs and plug wires that he said were dry rotted. He also wanted to do the throttle body cleaning for another $100 or so. He also told me the O2 sensor was bad. I had him just replace the O2 sensor. The car ran great afterward.Some dealer service shops are pretty bad.
    Uh, sorry guys, but silicon wires do not dry rot. Over time (mileage) they can lose some conductivity, but this can only be determined by a scope shot of the spark waveform, or, if they are really getting bad, misfires at idle. But we are talking >75K miles or 5 years. If then.

And I trust you saw the earlier posting out of the Hyundai service manual with regard to throttle body cleaning.

Jim