Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    One possible reason that DC has not been able to fix the 2100 RPM problem is that DC does not build the drive train for the AWD minivans. It is my understanding that Chysler contracted "Steyr-Daimler-Puch Fahrzeugtechnik" to design and build the components for the (now) DC line of AWD minivans, in which case, the problem most likely needs to be fixed in Graz, Austria.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    I was under the impression that the 2100 RPM vibration had been fixed in the 2002 model year. Someone claimed that he had a 2002 AWD and it was perfect.I sure hope so since I have a 2002 AWD on order.

Ed
  • rolfe2rolfe2 Member Posts: 81
    ed12, you are correct. To the best of my knowledge, the problem is fixed on the 2002 models. (I've test driven a 2002 and own a 2001.)

Mark, the problem has been described before, but it's nearly impossible to search back thru old posts, so here goes:

- Not everyone will agree, but I'm convinced that the problem only exists on 2001 AWD Caravans and T&C's;
    - I'm convinced it is a problem on ALL such minivans (doesn't vary by individual unit);
    - It occurs at approx. 2,100 rpm and disappears above 2,300 rpm or so;
    - It presents itself as a 'droning' or 'resonance' or 'vibration';
    - You mainly hear it, but the driver can also feel it in the accelerator pedal;
    - It only occurs when there is at least a slight load on the engine. In other words, when climbing or accelerating or at cruising speed. You won't hear it when coasting even at 2,100;
    - It's worse when the outside temperature is lower.

Thus, if you are cruising on the freeway at about 68-70 mph you'll hear it, of if you are climbing a hill at constant 2,100 rpm you'll hear it. Doesn't matter what gear.

When I took the vehicle in for diagnosis and repair a year ago, the technician called the Star Center for help and was told that Chrysler Engineering was well aware of the problem, that they were working on a solution, and that pending such a solution, the dealership would not be reimbursed for any parts or labor they threw at the problem. I've been trying to get updates ever since.

I've been variously told that this was a "number one" priority and that a TSB would be issued "shortly." I'm no longer holding my breath.

I'm aware of one buy-back Chrysler did over this issue last year. Personally, I didn't prefer that option because I would prefer to have the problem fixed in my AWD than to have to trade for a FWD.

Now that the problem has been corrected in the 2002's, ...

--rolfe.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    95 MPH? Isn't that a bit over what manufacturer's usually recommend during the break-in period?

Enjoy the ride.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    We kept the speed, acceleration, braking, etc. very moderate until after it had gone over 300 miles. Now has 512 miles but we will still drive conservatively for a little bit longer.
    The Manual stated that occasional brisk acceleration within local laws would be helpful ... but not in first gear.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I remember reading some posts regarding the clicking/ticking noise coming out the steering wheel column. Have anyone of you had that problem? Did you fix it, if so what was the cause of the noise?
    If I remember correctly, the ticking noise is the turn signal ratchet (only an issue when the turn signal is engaged), which prevents the turn signal from disengaging prematurely.

If you are asking about a noise that occurs when the turn signal is NOT engaged, well, that is a different story.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • tahoeretreattahoeretreat Member Posts: 3
    We had a problem with a clicking sound coming from the steering column every 30 seconds or so in our 2001 TC. Took the van to the dealer, they said there was a service note on the problem...replaced the steering column under warranty and the problem was resolved.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I think I have the same problem as tahoeretreat had. The noise comes every now and then (never time it) even when the turn signal is not in use. I guess I need to take it to the shop then...Tahoeretreat, did you wait long for the job or you just left it there for a day?
  • tahoeretreattahoeretreat Member Posts: 3
    For repair of the clicking problem, they had to order the part then it took just one day for them to install the new part.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    What does the Ec stand for, extra cheap? These models list for approx. $17,090 with 5 passenger seating. Where is the bench, in the middle or the rear? I know the auto 4 speed is an improvement over the old 3 speed but I'm still worried about reliability. Maybe when mated to the 2.4 engine it will last longer? With cash-back and free 7 yr/100k warranty this looks like a good deal. Any feed back from anyone who has purchased this model?
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    And NO, I do not think eC is as you asked. A nice, large, spacious vehicle with Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Automatic Transmission, AM/FM/Cassette Stereo all as standard equipment is quite a bargain in 2002.
    The bench seat is in the middle. 7 passenger seating is an additional cost...but with 7 passenger seating, Power Door Locks, and Rear Defroster and Wiper the MSRP is $17,955. This is far less expensive than any comparably sized vehicle.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    I was just kidding about the "extra cheap". My friends think I'm crazy, thinking about purchasing a mini-van, AKA mommie mobile. I drove two as company service vehicles. Both were driven very hard with no TLC. The 1st was a 86 Caravan w/2.6, turned it in at 162,000 still running great except for timing chain noise. 2nd was a 93 Caravan C/V which came standard with tilt, cruise, capt. chairs, AC, AM/FM cassette,and interior light pkg. Also driven hard. The infamous 4 speed trans gave out at 111,000 miles, had it repaired and still ran great until it was totaled by Hurricane Floyd :( in '99. Been in a '98 Chevy Astro since and I HATE it. I don't need the space for a mini van but my past experiences with them are leaning me towards one.
    My dealer wants about $850 to extend the warranty on my new T&C minivan from the basic 3/36 to 60000 miles. This would cover every non maintenace item. I know it comes standard with a 100000 mile powerrain warranty, so is the extra warranty worth it? I must make a decision by tomorrow.
    I just picked up a 2002 T&C LX minivan. Is there any storage space available that is not immediately obvious. For example, I have a small air pump that will not quite fit into the underseat drawer. Any suggestions?

Ed
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    I put a plastic bin in the back, in front of the liftgate for all the little stuff that seems to collect. You won't need the air pump while you're driving so it will be just fine back there. When you fill that up with stuff there is still room for another bin but we haven't gotten to that point. I try to avoid carrying people in the rear bench for safety reasons so by folding down the rear seat I get a nice big shelf for stuff.
  • dragonfly18dragonfly18 Member Posts: 3
    My husband and I are looking at a 2000 GC ES at a local dealership. We live in New Hampshire and the mileage is 48,664. The dealership is asking $16,550. We were also told that it would be a good idea to get an extended warranty on any used vehicle. I'd like to be able to find reasonable warranty quotes from a source other than the dealership. My questions are as follows:

1. Is this a good price?
    2. Can anyone recommend a good place to get warranty quotes?

Thanks
  • dragonfly18dragonfly18 Member Posts: 3
    The 2000 GC I need advice for is an LE, not an ES. I incorrectly wrote ES in my last post.
  • bundl1bundl1 Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for a used van and have narrowed it down to the Chrylser T&C or the Dodge Grand Sport. The T&C is a 1999 50k miles and comes with a 4yr warranty. The Sport is 2000 17k miles and $2K more. Any suggestions on which is a better buy? Thanks!
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    We have a trouble free 2000 Town & Country that we really like. We almost got a 2000 Grand Caravan Sport instead at the time of purchase. Based on the information you gave, I would probably go with the 2000 Sport over the Town & Country, simily because it has fewer miles and is a newer vehicle.

I am assuming the GC Sport in question has the upgraded interior, Infinity sound w/CD player, trip computer, dual zone A/C, power drivers seat, bucket seating, ect.

-Adam
  • iwanawagoniwanawagon Member Posts: 4
    I have a question hopefully someone here can answer. Is the 3.8L engine available as an option on the FWD GC Sport? Page 19 of the 2002 brochure lists a max towing capacity for FWD Sports and ES's w/ the 3.8 and the towing package, but I don't see the option in the charts and I can't configure it that way on the dodge website. I have had two dealers each tell me it was and was not an option on the Sport. I would like to get a GC or T&C with the 3.8 and towing package, but don't necessarily want everything that comes witht the ES trim (or T&C equivalent). Any clarification anyone can offer would be most appreciated.
    The answer to your dilemma is simple, order the Dodge Grand Caravan eX which has the 3.8L engine as part of the package. This van has few options, however, it has a fairly complete content setup as is, and has a base price of $26,790.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hmmm, it seems that I spoke too soon. The "eX" model does not have the Trailer Towing package as an option. That leaves you with two alternatives.

1) Add an aftermarket package to the "eX".
    2) Upgrade to something like the T&C LXi with the "R" package. I just configured one with the 3.8L, Touring Suspension, 16" Aluminum Wheels, Traction Control, Trailer Tow Group and AM/FM stereo Radio with Cassette/CD Player for $31,885.

There is also a similar "Stripper" Dodge ES at a similar price point. Both vehicles, as a result, do not have many of the amenities of the normal LXi/ES vehicles, however, they do have the parts that count.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo,

Your correct, I could move up to the LXi or ES, but I don't think I should have to. I am going to question the dealer about this. I don't understand why they would show this powertrain/towing package option in the brochure if it isn't available. I also think that DC may be missing a significant niche in the market if they don't offer an all muscle few frills version for around 25K. I could get an Odyssey LX with towing package for considerably less than $32k.
    When is $31,885 not $31,885? When you buy a new car these days.

There is a fair bet you can negotiate the price closer to $30,000, and that is before you apply the incentives, which by the way, are $2,500 if you buy or $2,700 if you lease. Now, that $31,885 is really more like $27,500.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Oddly enough, there is a way to get the GC Sport with a 3.8 Liter engine, with AWD.

I configured a GC Sport AWD with Power Drivers Seat, AM/FM Radio with Cassette and CD, Infinity Speaker System and the Trailer Tow Prep Group, which totals to $32,060. The GC Sport AWD has the same incentive package as the LXi if you buy, however, if you intend to lease, there is a $4,800 incentive, which could mean that you could get this vehicle for $25,200.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • asastryasastry Member Posts: 1
    Know of any good mechanics in the Calif
    Bay Area (San Jose, and surrounding
    areas)? I have a '96 Chrysler T&C with
    71K miles on it, and it has sundry electrical problems

- control LEDs (a/c, rear wipers, defroster, etc.) flashing
    - horn, cruise control kaput
    - AIRBAG warning light on
    - etc.

Thanks.

- as
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    The flashing LEDs indicate an AC malfunction (likely gas leakage). You need that looked at by a good AC shop. Common failures include the condenser (parts=$350, labour=$600 or so). Or it may be as simple as a rest required due to replacing the battery.

The horn/cruise control/air bag light points to a clockspring assembly failure (parts=$125, labour=$100 or so). Remember, the air bag may not deploy in case of an accident, so you may want this repaired rather quickly.
    I contacted my local dealer last night and confirmed that the only way to get the Sport with the 3.8 is with AWD, he admitted that the brochure is in error by showing the FWD Sport with 3.8 and towing package. Don't want or need AWD and no way I am paying more than $25k, so I guess I'll be looking for a used ES or at something else altogether. Anyone done much towing with a GC with 3.8? Any thoughts?
  • jmortega78jmortega78 Member Posts: 2
    asastry, try DanNick's auto repair at Lawrence and Reed in Sunnyvale. Dan's shop was rated well in the SF Consumer's Checkbook.
  • jmortega78jmortega78 Member Posts: 2
    I traded in my '96 GC SE 73.5K for a loaded '02 GC eX at South County Chrysler in Gilroy, CA. Got a fair trade-in price and an excellent price and service on the new one. This is the second van I have bought from Todd Foster, Director of Fleet.
    On both occassions, he made the purchase experience an easy and pleasant one (which is why I went back to him!). If you are in the market for one in the bay Area, I would recommend him very highly. Todd is at (408) 842-8244 ext 26 or 800 266 2100.
  • toledo19toledo19 Member Posts: 119
    I wish I were ready for a Voyager purchase. Chrysler has continued their incentives till 4/01/02: $2500 cash back AND cash incentives to the dealer. Also, if you plan to lease they are allowing $4000 for leases. These are fabulous deals for a great mini van.
  • bobpanicobobpanico Member Posts: 1
    We just completed our lease on a 99 T&C LX van and leased a new 01 GC Sport. We love the new van as much as the T&C but were real disappointed to find out that in 01/02 models that DCX doesn't offer the rear cabin reading lights in most models. My children 14 and 12 used them all the time to read or play video games. In the Chrysler line up we would have had to purchase the upper end Limited model or the LXI and get the Electronics Convience Group for an additional $300+. Dodge didn't even offer them (to my knowledge) and I asked.

The new van has a light in the center of the intermediate cabin that can be turned on independent of the other internal lights but blinds the driver via the rear view mirror. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to change this light to the aircraft type directional light or other change to resolve this ongoing battle between my kids and myself/wife (depending on whos driving).

Thanks
  • scarab105scarab105 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE READ SEVERAL POST HERE ABOUT THE AWD 2100 RPM VIBRATION. I AM LOOKING FOR SOME INFO ON ANY CHRYSLER BUY BACKS DUE TO THIS PROBLEM. rolfe2 HAS
    POSTED THAT HE IS AWARE OF ONE. I WOULD LIKE TO RESEARCH THIS MORE AS I HAVE A AWD AND THE DEALER TOLD ME LAST FEB THAT CHRYSLER WAS AWARE OF THE PROBLEM AND WOULD HAVE A FIX FOR IT IN OCT AND NOW TELLS ME IT NEEDS A REDESIGN IN THE PTU AND DUE TO THE COST INVOLVED THEY WERE NOT GOING TO FIX IT. I WOULD LIKE THEM TO TAKE IT BACK IF POSSIBLE.
    I have a 2002 AWD and its is perfect. Why can't they replace your 2001 AWD components with 2002 components?
  • ted_d_bearted_d_bear Member Posts: 3
    Let me first say, I love my 2001 Caravan EX. I have had no mechanical problems whatsoever. But it seems like the safety problems keep coming up. First the fuel tank problem, and now abcnews.com has a story on seatbelt problems.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/primetime/DailyNews/primetime_chryslerseatbelts_020307.html#

I'm starting to really get upset about these things. Obviously I can't ever guarantee the safety of my children in an accident, but I have done everything I can to make them the safest possible in the child carseats, but I feel like I'm letting them down because I bought a crappy van. It would be different if Daimler,Chrysler would admit to the problems and correct them, but they aren't Somebody, please ease my fears of this van.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Before I purchased our GC I made sure it had the newer style release buttons on the side of the buckle because we had a GM vehicle with the release button on the face of the buckle and these were alleged to release too easily. I agree that DC should replace the Gen-3 buckles and will probably be forced to if enough people complain. The Gen-3 buckle is probably better than those old GM buckles
    I'm not too concerned about this report, just like I wasn't too concerned with the gas leak in the 2001 GC Sport that was tested. But what is the difference between the generation 3 and generation 4 buckles that are used in these vans?
  • sdmansdman Member Posts: 65
    Just got a 2002 ES. It came with the tire pressure monitoring system, and after reading about this system in the owners manual (it's really vague), I came away not understanding how to interface with the system.

Is this system supposed to display the actual tire pressure in PSI, or does it just alert you if the tire pressure exceeds preset low and high limits?

I have stepped through all the menus in the overhead console, but beyond an entry that says "calibrate tire pressure sensors", I don't see any other options that pertain to the tire pressure monitoring system.

Any ideas?
    scarab105 (post 1484) and ed12 (post 1485):

Here's what (little) I understand about "buy-backs." You need to research your state's lemon law procedures (you can find them on the web). In my state, I need to verify that my type of problem is covered under the law, and that the dealer has had sufficient attempts to try to fix it. Then I need to send a letter to DC requesting that they buy the vehicle back under that statute. They have 40 days to respond. After that, I can request an arbitration hearing.

The zone rep of course knows the lemon law backwards and forwards and probably never winds up in arbitration unless he's confident of winning. In my case, I'm interested in getting a 2002 awd as a replacement, since the problem has been fixed or at least reduced to an acceptable level.

In this state, the way it works (if either the zone rep decides to settle or I win in arbitration) is that I'm "responsible" for paying a usage charge based on mileage. The formula is not favorable to the consumer unless you have neglibly low mileage (I don't). In this state, I take my mileage divided by 120,000 and multiply by my original purchase price. That's what I have to give the dealer, plus or minus any difference in the MSRP of the replacement vehicle compared to the original MSRP. DC takes care of license, sales tax and everything else. Any rebates aren't considered. I'm told that DC won't negotiate anything different from what's stipulated in the lemon law.

For example, if I have 20,000 miles on the van and paid 30K: 20/120*30 = $5,000 I'd have to pay for my usage.

My zone rep is confident that some kind of "fix" will be available by early May based on discussions he's had with those who do the testing. He believes it will involve weights on the driveshaft or the like, and that it will reduce but not eliminate the problem. (I've heard these kinds of assurances for a year, so I don't share his confidence.)

ed12 -- He also told me that the 2002's have some kind of different mountings or brackets or something such that whatever was done in the 2002's won't fit a 2001. Sorry I can't be more specific.

That's all I can offer for now.

--rolfe.
  • autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    Did they fix the off-set wrecking issue? I read on www.iihs.org that they had fuel line problems and wrecked it twice. I reread it twice. Am I understanding that this problem is fixed on the new '02's? Thanks.
    chrysler has fixed the potential leak in the fuel line in the late 2001 and all 2002 models.
  • paul164paul164 Member Posts: 11
    Rolfe, thanks for the update. On our 2001 with approx 9,000 miles - problem has not abated at all, maybe gotten a little more noticeable. I used to think it was just a resonance in the intake or something, but now figure it must be related to the drivetrain - it seems to occur when the transmission is in lock up mode, i.e when cruising. Very disappointing that the car would be brought to market this way and obviously re-engineered for model year 2002. Mind you, this is a $35k plus vehicle! I am surprised that none of the testing done by auto mags or Edmunds found this problem, but GC probably made sure their vehicle had whatever fix was put in place. I do find it hard to believe that the 2001 cannot be retrofitted with the 2002 parts - sounds too much like the leaking gas tank to me (simply too expensive to repair not too difficult). As to the lemon law, my general understanding is that the manufactuer has to be given a few tries to fix the vehicle or at least a few notices of your dissatisfaction - you cannot simply walk in off the street and demand a buy-back or other remedy. So, you must complaind and try to get it fixed first, which for most of us who have busy lives this is rather difficult, so most people just live with the problem.. Keep after them for all of us, Rolfe!!!
  • newvan2newvan2 Member Posts: 30
    Does the tranny in the 2001 grand caravan sport have overdrive. I am used to that cool little overdrive button in other vehicles and just noticed our "new to us" 2001 gcs does not have overdrive. Is this true for all GCS.
    thank you
    paul164,

You are correct about the dealer getting a few chances to correct the problem. In my case, after the first try, the dealership was informed by the factory that Engineering was aware of and was working on the problem, and that the dealership would not be reimbursed if they threw parts or labor at it. That was over a year ago.

I completely agree that it's hard to believe that 2002 parts can't be put on a 2001. If they replaced enough stuff, they surely could do it.

I have 26,000 miles on mine, so the "offset for use" charge as it's called in our lemon law is almost $7,500. Seems expensive to me. But in your case, with only 9,000 you might want to press it before your mileage gets any higher. If I could trade my 2001 and less than $3,000 for a 2002 (with drive train warranty) I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I didn't press for a buy back in 2001 because I wanted AWD and there were no fixed 2002's back then. But that's changed now. Meanwhile, my mileage went up!

--rolfe.
    Aside from this vibration problem, which must be very annoying, im curious as to how you guys like your DC minivans? What models do you guys have?

Also, isn't it possible to trade your 2001 vans in for newer 2002 models which probably won't have the vibration problem?
  • tm4419tm4419 Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased a 2002 carvan ec and checked the seat belt buckles with the 40mm ball test.
    The front buckles were fine but the back seat buckles all failed the ball test and are the gen3 buckles. I sent a message to the nhtsa and prompted them to force Chrysler to have a recall.
    I think if more people contacted them it might do some good.
    I just bought a 2002 caravan ec with the 2.4 litre engine and four speed automatic. The owners manual says I can pull up to 1000 lbs. . I intend to install a transmission oil cooler and pull a 800 lb boat once a year for about 800 miles. Anybody out there had any pulling experience with the 2.4 litre and four speed automatic?
    I bought my 2002 ec for $14,398 and also got a $300 rebate because I had a cdl. It has the 7 passenger seating and rear defroster for options. Elmhurst Dodge is the voluum dealer in the Chicago area and advertises special prices in the sun times about twice a week. If you go there to buy one call first to make sure they have any left and bring the add with you. It is like a coupon and only good on the day of publication. The way they make any money is by giving low trade in or by finance charges so if you want a great deal dont trade anything in and dont finance. PS I bought a factory cruise control from the dealer for $235 and installed it in 1hr and 25 mins.. It is a very easy installation for any mechanic with know how and a good set of tools.