Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    I think Elantra's mpg is pretty good..
    I always do sudden acc. but it still give be 21 mpg in city.

Someone said he/she does not recommand because of
    erratic mpg, misalignments, reluctant fuel doors, loose screw covers, and idle idiosyncrasies, I think it is nothing compare to the Elantra's safety fetures. Also, its crash test results are better than honda accords.

2001 Elantra's Crash Test Results
    Driver: Rating = Good
    Passenger: Rating = Excellent
    Side Impact Front: Excellent
    Side Impact Rear: Good
    Crash Offset: Acceptable
    Bumper Bash: Good

Recently in Florida, there was side impact accident which Nissan Tundra hit Honda Accord from side..
    and guess what?? Because of that hit , the accord cut in half.. The police said they were driving about 45 - 50 mph..
    If you are interested in wooden dash board..

then visit this site..

http://www.exoticwooddash.com

they got wooden dash board for every cars..

but 2000 Elantra's wooden dash board costs about $180 but 2001 is about $300...

they say there's more piece in 2001..

• jkempskiejkempskie Member Posts: 49
    Hello all,

I've been following this board for almost 2 years now in hopes of eventually getting an Elantra. Finally the circumstances have permitted me to get one, as my piece of crap '92 Subaru died a horrible death last week. Just tonight I closed the deal on a 5-speed Midnight Gray with Package 3 (cruise, keyless entry, CD) plus mats, mud guards, and CA emissions for 12,884 before taxes, tags, etc. I could've and maybe should've gotten the car for a few hundred less, but I'm content with this deal. For anyone interested and who lives in the area, I went to Herb Chambers Hyundai in Auburn, MA (central Massachusetts). The experience was mildly stressful. They seem okay, though.

I was originally hoping to wait and get the upcoming hatchback, but because I'm in need of a car now, I'm settling on the sedan. Besides, I'm not sure I could afford the hatchback. I was also hoping to special-order a package 5 which includes the ABS. I decided not wait out the 3-4 weeks they said it would take to get the car.

I tried my best to find out info about getting a factory CD/cassette put into my Elantra. I believe the optional system from the Santa Fe would fit into the slot for the Elantra stereo (and the space below it). The salesmen and manager did not know much of anything about it, but doubted it would work. I'll continue to try and find info so I might eventually replace my CD with the CD/cass. combo. I know I could install an aftermarket unit (and cheaper), but my pickiness requires a factory unit.

Once I get my car and drive it for a while I'll update everyone on what I think.

JEFF
  • ebekinsebekins Member Posts: 21
    Well after about 7 weeks of looking and studying all kinds of car information, we purchased our pewter 2001 Hyundai Elantra automatic with option package 3. We got it through Frank Hyundai in National City, CA (near San Diego.) We got it for just what it says on Edmunds TMV, but after reading others posting here, I think TMV might be a little high. Some of you seem to have bought yours for a lower price. I guess you could consider ours $500 lower, since the dealer credited us the rebate after figuring the price.

I like the car but I'm also nervous about being in debt. Our salesman was a very nice guy. But we had to sit for an uncomfortably long period of time while the "sales manager" did the financing end of it. Then the F$I guy did his talk about all the wonderful products that we could add on to our car. I was grateful that I have been reading these boards so I knew what to expect and how to just say "no thank you." I can see that they really can make a lot of money off a slim priced car with all the other stuff they throw at you.

Ours has a build date of Feb 17 2001, and only had 12 miles on the OD. So I feel like I got a nice fresh virgin. Hopefully we'll have this car for a good 10 years or more, and the sales experience will be a distant memory. Happy driving!
  • therhinotherhino Member Posts: 21
    Hey Everyone! Bought an '01 Elantra last month, auto,white, pkg two, ten miles on it, $12,300 + tax,tag,etc. Appreciate being able to read all the comments in this forum before purchasing. My wife and I have been driving two Acura Legends for the past six years, and I was surprised at how good the ride is in the new Elantra. I'm planning on selling both the Legend's to get a second Elantra, or maybe the Sante Fe.

Anyway, have about 1500 miles on it so far, not a single problem. Bought it from Ft.Myers Hyundai (in Florida). I used to sell Toyotas, and owned other Honda's as well, but the value of the Hyundai was too good to pass up.(Higher marginal utility per dollar spent for all of you economics students out there).

Take it easy! Rhino.
  • jcaccjcacc Member Posts: 10
    Well, I knew my new Elantra was sharp, but something happened yesterday that really took me by surprise. Somebody tried to pry off the name badge from my front grill. It broke while they were trying to get it, so I was able to put it back on and will get it replaced. What is so strange is that this happened on a city street in a town that is so prosperous that most of the people drive a Lexus, Infiniti, or a Mercedes. Why they singled out my little Hyundai when there were so many prestige badges on the cars around me beats the heck out of me!
    Who knows? Maybe we'll start seeing people wearing Hyundai emblems on gold chains in the near future!? Hyundai mentioned in pop songs??...
  • pewtermanpewterman Member Posts: 17
    I nightly park my '01 silver Elantra next to my neighbors 01 silver Lexus; it's BIGGER than his and cost almost $18,000 less! I'm not surprised that someone would want to steal your Hyundai logo and put it on their Lexus--so their neighbors don't think they're dumb for spending so much on that car!!

I've noticed a few posters mentioning an occasional surge or race in their idle--after warm-up or extensive driving. This has been mostly from people with manual trannies. I have an auto and the same thing has happened to me. I mentioned it to my service manager and he thought it was odd. Needless to say, on the occasions when I've brought it in, it doesn't happen. Sooo... is this a design problem or a design innovation? Why it happens, I don't know. In gear (drive, reverse)it's reving at about 750. I put in park and it jumps to 2,000! Anyone have any concrete info on this?

But, Hey!! For those who gripe about such "little annoyances", I say: I like the thrill of unpredictability! And my Elantra is STILL more reliable than my Mazda was (AND quieter, heavier, more comfortable).

And for those who think their Elantra mileage isn't that great, my Mazda Protege had a 1.8 engine (stick!) and never got better than 25 mpg! Elantra's 2 liter (auto) with about 30 mpg is a pleasant change for me!

Also, nice to see so many other new owners are joining this forum!
  • jsapiejsapie Member Posts: 28
    Just installed a new Kenwood CD player in my 2001. I ordered the connector from Crutchfield and it took about an hour . Can anyone tell how to install new rear speakers. Looks like you need to remove the whole back seat.
    Thanks!
    BTY I now have 5000 miles with no major problems at all. Great car!
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    moledad125....

You have to order it. Depending where you live, places like Pep Boys, Car Parts, Autozone usually carry them. Thats over here in New Jersey. Now, for 2000 Elantras, such as mine, I had to order the filter for the 2000 Tiburon since they had the same engine and same airbox. However, ask the sales person about for 2001. Things may have changed...

Jsapie...Thank goodness you asked here before you attempted to do the rear speakers!

The grills are clipped on to the rear deck. I learned this the hard way when I tried to pry off the grills to put in dynamat under the rear speakers and snapped one in half! Turns out the speakers have some kind of foam underneath it..so that was a waste. But you have to remove the backseat to get to remove the rear deck. then you can get to the speakers. Hope this is helpful.

And i would have to agree with peweterman on the "thrill of unpredictablity". Sure, my car rattles, some of the trim looks like cheap, weird noises come and go upon warming up. But he's right! Car has never left me stranded. I get great gas mileage. Its comfortable. Engine is quiet and the car moves. You step on the gas and its like ::whoa::
  • smitty4049smitty4049 Member Posts: 4
    G'day all,
    I finally picked up my new El antra today and so far it's been great. I've noticed only one small thing that bothers me: I got the "Official" El antra mats and I find that the driver's side mat is constantly getting caught on my clutch pedal and riding the pedal back up when I change gears. I then have to tap the mat back to the floor off the pedal. I checked and I see the latches are all properly secured so I guess I'll need to use carpet tape to fix this. If this is the only problem I have with the car over the next 5 years I'll be very pleased to put up with it. :-)
  • jlim1jlim1 Member Posts: 50
    My 00 Elantra has been experiencing this weird squeaking braking noise whenever (sometimes) you apply the brakes. It sounds like "ke-kung" and when you release the brake, the softer "ke-kung" comes back up. I mentioned this to the service personnel of my dealership last year and we actually took a ride and he concluded that the noise is normal especially when the weather is humid, such as early in the morning. Guess what, I've been hearing the noise every now and then, no matter how the weather looks like in the day or night. The car has 17000 miles in it now. I drive mostly in the city with very little stop-and-go. Lately, whenever I apply the brake, it feels it needs to be stomped on a lot harder. I would like to know if there's anyone out there with similar experience. And the car doesn't have ABS. Thanks.
    To the 2001 owners:

Does anyone have a white Elantra? This might be my next color choice if I can't find a Midnight gray with the right package...

How does the paint hold up?
    Is K and N air filter fit in 2001 Elantra too?
    or is it just for 2000 Elantra?

jkempskie: the white paint is bad... it peels off easily.. My friend used to have '97 Camry but after 3 years the paint started to peel off.
    Also, it can get scratch easily..
    jlim1....you could have a hot spot on the rotors. I had that problem on my 2000 Elantra. While traveling at highway speeds and have to stop short, the car will make like a "thumping" sound. also steering wheel shakes. Fixed under warranty. Resurfaced the rotors. Not a big deal; took under an hour to fix.

Smitty...use velcro to keep the mat in place if the latch isn't working. I have my car "double matted" because my friends come in it with muddy shoes. The mat on top of the factory one use to get caught under the clutch. I used velcro and it stays in place now. Hope that helps!
  • moledad125moledad125 Member Posts: 14
    Hey,, had my 01 El antra (5 speed) in the service department for the third time now in an effort to correct the off again, on again idling problem. First time, re programed PCP(main computer). Problem persisted. Second time, Changed MAP sensor, problem still persisted. Today changed throttle body and accelerator cable. We'll see what happens, I'll post the outcome as soon as I know. Incidentally, except for this annoying problem I love the car! Al
  • cyanogelcyanogel Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know when did the current rebate start?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Sorry for delay in responding, I was on the road on business all week and too busy/tired to get to Edmunds.com. Re your questions: I got a Pkg 2 (cruise, keyless) 5-spd '01 Elantra with mats at the end of October at Denny Hecker's Rosedale Hyundai, which would not be very far for you if you are northeast (White Bear Hyundai is probably closest, right?). I paid $11,800 + TTL, which is $100 more than an offer I had from Metro Hyundai, but Rosedale had the color I wanted (champagne) in stock and Metro refused to trade for it. Based on all the posts I've seen since then you might be able to do a little better than that if you stick to your guns, but I felt I got a decent deal (especially since I was pressed for time and the negotiations, directly with the sales manager, took all of 10 minutes). Also I liked Rosedale's service policies (free loaners if car held overnight). I did consider the '00 Elantra last summer and drove a few (test drives and as rental cars), and I decided not to buy one mostly because of the engine noise on the 5-speed. Other than that I liked the car, but I like the '01 much better--it seems more refined, quieter, a little more upscale. I also like the 10-year warranty, which you don't get on used Hyundais (unless it's an extended warranty). By chance I drove the Sonata for the first time this week, an auto/6 cyl. rental, and was impressed. But I actually prefer the Elantra. The driver's seat is more comfortable to me (the Sonata had a raised section in the center of the seat) and I like the tossability of the Elantra. But the Sonata was very smooth and quiet, a nice highway cruiser.

Re when did the rebate start: there's been $500 off the '01 Elantra almost continuously since at least last October. Up until 10/31 it wasn't called a "rebate", but a "dealer coupon" (whatever that is). So it was kind of secret, but fortunately I found out about it here before I bought mine.
  • interlukinterluk Member Posts: 17
    Hi,

Could you please tell me the model number of the Kenwood CD player you installed?
    Did it go in smoothly with a perfect fit and finish or does it look a bit after-market?
    Did the cable connector attach without a hassle?

I very much want to replace the stock cassette player in my 01 Elantra and, if at all possible, want to avoid any fit and finish or interface surprises.

Thanks a lot
    I am really enjoying my new Elantra, now that I've had it for a whole 3 days. However, yesterday as we were driving along listening to the radio, the volume suddenly jumped up to full blast, and then cut out just as suddenly. It sure scared my wife and me. The unit has illumination and looks like it works, but there is no sound in any speaker, not even static. I thought it might have blown a fuse of some kind. Took it to the dealer today, and they say that it must be an internal problem, and they are ordering me a new CD player, which should be in on Tuesday. No charge, of course.

But it got me thinking. I wanted Package 3 because it had the CD player, but that's the only thing different from package 2, and the difference in MSRP is $350. I think I should have just went with package 2 and then went and got an aftermarket CD player with that $350. I now realize this Hyundai CD player isn't all that good.

I also checked the Hyundai service manual online at http://www.hmaservice.com/ and looked at the diagrams on how to remove and install the radio, and it really doesn't look too hard. But right now I'll just survive the weekend with no tunes, and let the dealer put in a new Hyundai CD player on Tuesday.

• moledad125moledad125 Member Posts: 14
    Hi, does anyone know if there is a K&N airfilter available for the 01 Elantra? If so, do you know the part #? I've been looking all around and none of the auto stores have been able to help. Will the model from the 2000 Tiburon fit? Thanks Al
  • bobcook54bobcook54 Member Posts: 79
    The current rebate has been $500.00 since November,I believe. Hyundais rebates and programs run month to month,with the current ones due to expire at the end of business April 2nd(since the 1st is on Sunday). No word on what they will be in April. Bob
  • tomcrysatomcrysa Member Posts: 1
    I don't have any experience with Elantra's white paint, but overall white is probably the best color one could have on a car.
    I used to run an auto detail business and white cars always showed less scratches and wear than all other colors.

TA
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    white is the best color to have for a car? no way-- to me, white means rental car--- anyone who chooses white or black for a car color signifies that, they threw up their hands when deciding on a car color, couldn't decide, so they got white or black. get the champaign color, baby
    I just bought a white Elantra. White is great, especially in Florida, it reflects the most heat. My Acura Legend is ten years old and the white paint is still fine, although I wouldn't expect the same longevity from my Elantra's paint job,( just being realistic ). Just an opinion 8^)
  • jsapiejsapie Member Posts: 28
    Since this CD player came out of my totaled 94 Camry I do not know the model number. It is just a standard size CD Radio. It was simple to install. I used the connector from Crutchfield. They have a large range of units too.

I looked up the dash removal at http://www.hmaservice.com.

Took about an hour. Looks and sound great.

BTY

The unit that came with the car was good too.
  • reganonareganona Member Posts: 9
    Did anyone get a cup holder in their 2001 Elantra? It can be removed from the center cup holder area...you can use either side of it. It is used to hold cans and larger cups I believe. Also, where would I get repair paint for my car? It already has a scratch on it and I can't find the paint on the Hyundai website. Anyway, I am definitely enjoying it. It has 2,000 miles on it already and I haven't had any problems with it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
  • rgwphotorgwphoto Member Posts: 1
    Just closed today on our 01' Elantra GLS pewter auto, package 4 for $13,800 (inc rebate). Had a great sales staff at Hyundai Glendale, Wisconsin. No pressure, gave us good price up front (comparable to what I've been reading in this message list). Love the car but only has 25 miles on it so haven't discovered any quirks. They offered to extend to 10 year bumper to bumper warranty for $709 additional. We declined but now I'm wondering if we should have accepted. Is it worth the extra coverage from years 6-10? Any thoughts on when to buy warranty, under what conditions.
  • rab613rab613 Member Posts: 8
    i have been considering buying a 2001 elantra, but i have noticed several posts describing a problem with the idle settings.does this problem also affect the auto. transmission, and, in fact, how significant a problem is this?

recently, i was driving behind a 2001 elantra and noticed something moving under the car. is it possible that some part of the car is quite near the road surface, or, should i assume that this guy had some debris stuck in the undercarriage?

thanks for any and all help on these matters.
    To buy white or not to buy white.....ahhh that is the question! That,folks,is why they offer different colors....no one can agree on what color is best! Henry Ford said "They can have any color as long that it's black." So,pick yor favorite and enjoy!!! Bob
  • sfchewsfchew Member Posts: 8
    I got a price of $12082 or $13350 drive out for a 2001 Elantra with Automatic. This sounds like a very good price. What do you think?
    Something moving under an Elantra? How was it moving? Maybe it was the rear anti-roll bar. Maybe it was Indiana Jones, who snagged the undercarriage with his whip and was trying to climb up onto the car to catch the German soldier who was driving it, with the Ark of the Covenant in the trunk. Hard to tell.

Paint color is one of the most personal decisions you can make on a car. The person who asked about it wasn't asking for an opinion on his/her color of choice, white, but information on problems that owners of white Elantras have had. I've got a champagne car so I can't help there, but one thing I've noticed is that the primer is white (yes, I've got a couple little scratches already) so a white car should help hide those. I struck out trying to find touch-up paint through my dealer, but that was a couple of months ago so maybe they have some now. You might try an auto parts store, depending on the color they might have something real close. I've found that even the factory touch-up paint never seems to match exactly anyway. Touch-up tip: I've found the scratch-remover kits (available at most auto parts stores and Target etc.) with the color sticks that look like fat crayons work really good with fine scratches that are just deep enough to show the primer. You just rub the stick that is closest to your paint color over the scratch, wait a few mintues, and rub the excess off. Works great on my light blue Caravan, but none of the sticks seems to match my champange Elantra real well. The touch-up is less noticeable than when done with a brush-type touch-up paint.

I'm intrigued by the cupholder question. My Sept. vintage '01 Elantra just has a two-hole molded cupholder in the center console, non-removable. One hole holds water bottles and big cups.

sfchew, $12082 for an Elantra auto is pretty darn good, right around the dealer cost (but letting the dealer keep most of the holdback so they made something on the sale--they gotta pay the bills). But your drive-out price seems high--do you have a high sales tax rate where you live?
    well, here are your choices....

If you get white, you will see all the dirt on it. However, the pros of this color is you wont see the rock chips from highway driving and scratches

Black on the other hand, (the color of my elantra) it will help hide the dirt and road grime, but any scratches or road chips will show up. especially road trips, because they show up white.

Maybe if you go with pewter or red, maybe teal. you can get an even trade off. Black and white are exact opposites in colors of what it shows.
    road chips, not trips. oops
    The "new" Elantras have a little removeable plastic thing in the big round cupholder. One side is small, if you flip it over it's a little bigger, and if you remove it, you just have the big cup holder. Then the one in front of it is shaped for bottles and stuff. Backy, maybe you can go to the dealer and demand one... no reason why your Sept. Elantra shouldn't have one! :)

About the white... the reason I asked was because I'm aware of the past paint problems with Hyundai. I saw many an Elantra (I'm talking 99s and 00s) with peeling paint on the back bumper or other spots. What was worse, the under-coating was black, so the white Elantras showed the peeling very badly. Seeing I've warmed up a little to the beige interior on the 2001s (the seats are ugly, but I like the dash), I've been considering it as a color choice instead of the strangely hard to find midnight gray I originally wanted, but was still concerned over the black under the possibly peeling white. I think the car looks very sharp as white. Oh, and the champagne... no offense, but in my opinion, it's a little too middle-aged looking for me. I'm 21. It looks like a Toyota Camry color to me, though I admit it's nice.

Oh, in case anyone happened to be interested... I finally found out the real deal on a possible CD and tape stereo for the 2001. There is apparently a CD/tape that will be available later this year that fits both the Santa Fe and Elantra (I think). However, the price is going to be ridiculously high... like $900 or more. That's the word I got, anyway. And supposedly they aren't able to stack a CD and tape player on top of eachother due to the wiring or something.

Cheers,
    JEFF
  • tmundartmundar Member Posts: 70
    Elantra00,

It sounds counter intuitive, but white is actually the best color for hiding dirt and black is the worst color. Dark colored cars look best when they are freshly washed and shiny, but just a little dirt dulls that shine and makes the car look crappy. A long time ago, I had a white (and blue) full-sized van that got washed about 3 times a year, and looked fine most of the time, but my father's black car needed to be washed every couple of weeks or it looked horrible. I personally try to avoid dark-colored cars.

Jeff,

I had some small problems with peeling paint on the back of my white 1997 Tiburon. The dealer claimed that someone must have scratched the paint off (BS), so I purchased some touch-up paint from the dealer.

Personally, I think that the problem was that the factory did not use primer on the (black) plastic bumper cover, so the paint came off easy. I also do not think that the problem was only with the white cars. I have seen both green and red Tiburons with all of the paint scratched off around the driver's side key hole. I don't think that my brother's white 1998 Elantra has had any paint problems (aside from him hitting things).

Tom
  • serpentkiserpentki Member Posts: 20
    I just bought a new KIA Optima early in March. There were two manual transmission Optimas on the lot, a dark maroon and my gold beige. I chose the gold because I work offshore and park my car at the air terminal all week. My black 300ZXT really looked bad after a week of morning dew and afternoon dusty breezes.

I think my pale gold must be the color of dirt, it looks clean whether washed or not. SK
  • lsr777lsr777 Member Posts: 2
    I've been shopping for a new vehicle since after this winter in New England my nerves cannot take another winter driving my rear-wheel drive Thunderbird. I've test driven about five `01 Elantras both automatic and 5 speed. I really do like them alot and probably enough to buy one. These are my two dilemnias: The first, what is that funky interior smell? Has anyone else noticed it (besides me and Edmunds). My friend who went with me didn't notice it and I almost fell off my chair when I read it under Edmund's cons list. My second dilemnia is that I would really like to buy the 5 speed but cannot find one with cruise control. Does anyone know if they make a 5 speed with cruise control? As to the funky smell, if you have it and have been successful in getting rid of it, I would love to know how you accomplished this. Thanks.
  • lsr777lsr777 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to hear from people about how the Elantra handles in the snow and on the bumps. I live in the country in New England -- experiencing dirt roads daily and snow daily this winter. Thanks.
  • hotvelumhotvelum Member Posts: 1
    I live in central MA and am in the process of getting a 5-speed with package 3 (includes cruise control and more). They exist, they're just harder to find. Most of the Elantras I've seen on the lot are automatics, and then the 5-speeds are often just the base models. I hate how they do that.

JK
    See my post #103 under the hatchbacks topic for the prices on the all new Elantra GT !!!! Bob
  • serpentkiserpentki Member Posts: 20
    The smell is from some protective coating they spray on engine parts, from what I've heard and observed. I purchased a KIA Optima, 5-spd w/ cruise in early march, BTW. I use an air freshener that plugs into the cigarette lighter or accessory jack. The scent I use is "New Car Smell" which is a bit too sweet but counteracts the smell problem you speak of. I think this unit cost me about $6 from Wal-Mart.

The scent pads are replaceable but I have been adding some cedarwood oil to the pads as they dry up and reinsert them into the freshener unit. This is not as sweet smelling as the original scent but compliments well. I get the comment regularly, along with a smile, "Oh, I just love that new-car smell." -Serpent Ki
    I've read other people mention a "funky" smell in the new Elantra, but I didn't smell it. I only smell "new car smell." I did get a little burning kinda smell the first day I had the car, but that went away, and I assumed it was whatever coating was on the engine or brakes that wore off after it had been used a few hours. I've had the car a week now and I think I'm already starting to lose the new-car smell. So the funkiness is probably on select cars only. Or else I just don't notice it.
  • formula94formula94 Member Posts: 22
    I live in New England, got my wife the option 4 5sp with cruise, had a few at the dealer. Paid 12.7k plus ttr. She has loved the way it handles in the snow/ice. We had a tough year this year and I was a bit worried (first non american small car) it came through with flying colors.

I bought at Herb Chambers
  • billod2billod2 Member Posts: 1
    I've got almost 1500 highway miles on my Ocean Blue 2001 Elantra with auto and pkg 4 ($13900 without ttl). So far so good. Smells great. Runs great. 31 mpg highway. Only complaints are how easy the paint scratches (little white ones) and the doors. More often than not, the doors don't close right. Might take me two slams to do it. Dealer says its air pressure. Anybody else having these door problems or do I need to sit on the dealer some more? If you're in the Cincinnati area, I would avoid Superior Hyundai and Pat the sales manager. They promise alot but don't deliver. But I won't let that stop me from enjoying this car.
  • uttutt Member Posts: 16
    When I test drove the '01 Elantra (twice), it took me several slams to close the door too. Anybody have concerns about this? I am waiting for the GT and hope I don't notice this issue on the 5-door.
    Yes, I've noticed that the doors don't close quite as easily as some cars I've owned, like my previous car (Sentra). But it doesn't seem like an alignment problem, as the door seams are perfect. I wouldn't doubt it's the air pressure, or maybe the density of the rubber door seals, as I've seen this before on cars with triple door seals. I notice the doors on my Caravan, for example, close easily when a window or another door is open but take more force otherwise. It has the triple door seals too. It hasn't bothered me enough to want to do anything about it--if I ask the dealer to start messing with it, maybe the seams won't be perfect anymore.

My experience in shopping for Elantras was exactly the opposite of lsr777's--it was hard to find a car without cruise, since every package has it. The dealer I purchased from had no cars without cruise, and in fact has only a couple of 5-spds on the lot. Many more automatics are sold instead of 5-spds, and I think some dealers order the 5-spds stripped so they can advertise a loss-leader price on one car. Keep looking--if your dealer of choice doesn't have a 5-spd with cruise, maybe they can trade with another dealer.

Re handling on snow/ice and bumps: I just went through the worst winter since '79 in Minnesota, and the potholes are terrible too. I've been happy with the Elantra's handling on snow and ice (in-town driving). It's no Subaru, but quite competent. I especially like the brake feel--no grabbing, nice smooth stops, very controllable on the slick (this is w/o ABS). My car has the Michelins. I try to dodge the big potholes but can't miss them all. There's no noticeable alignment problem or rattles/squeaks from all those bumps. And it's a much smoother ride than you'll get on, say, a Protege. I figure if it can take this winter OK, it can take just about anything.
    Still love my new Elantra, but the CD player that went out on me last week, that was supposed to be here today, is now on back-order, and I'll have to wait at least 7 to 10 working days until they can get it! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! I really need a radio or something to drive around. I'm so tempted to just go to some car stereo place and get one, but that would defeat the whole purpose of me spending the extra money to get the CD player as an option. This is really frustrating, and is a big fly in the otherwise fine ointment.
  • elantra3elantra3 Member Posts: 7
    has anyone noticed that elantras with a 5 speed seem to hold back or maybe delay when axcellerating or is it just mine that does this. also when the car is started when cold there is a bearing noise coming from the motor.performance is lousy,gas mileage maybe 15 miles per gallon.70%highway\30%city 13.9gallons of premeium gas did 204 miles clocked 4 fill ups.this car is no toyota or nissan. engine is quite nosiy when pushed a little it grouls and lets you know its a 4 cyilinder ride is faily comfortorble and quite at cruising speed 50 to 60 mph air conditioning gets cold then warm seems if we get a hot day its fair to middling as far as cooling the cabin.this car needs much more refinement.my other car a 1998 camry 49,000 miles perfect no problems oh what a feeling.also i noticed compared to my camry the shifter throws are longer.had a 1986 toyota celica 296,000 woderful miles this car might make to 60,000 miles with a lot of TLC.