Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Those headrests were not optional equipment. They are part of the standard safety equipment of the '96-up generation van. It's too bad the previous owner lost them (or maybe chose to sell them to someone else like you who was looking for headrests). You might try eBay, but like the salvage yards you'll probably find people like to buy seats that have the headrests. Have you priced them at your local Dodge dealer? They may be a little pricey, but since they're saftey equipment it could be worth it you--and those who ride in the back seats.
  • jsiesjsies Member Posts: 26
    My latest understanding is that in 1997 (and you're right they were not an option), but an upgrade from the base model to the SE model. The inserts in my caravan also have the shaft holes plugged with a plastic cap, indicating they were never even used. I tried ebay, but I never see them there. I inquired at the dealer a couple of months ago and the price floored me. I don't remember exactly, but I recall it being in the triple figures each. Probably my best alternative is to get a dealer to lift them from a trade-in that's pretty well used or real high miles and on it's way to the auction. That's what I'm hoping will happen. Thanks for getting back.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Hi. My 2001 Voyager started a little light show last night. The dash lights would be the normal brightness, then get real bright for a second, then back to normal. Sometimes they would blink a couple of times in a few seconds, sometimes they would not blink back and forth for a few minutes. Anyone else had this? Thanks.
  • jsiesjsies Member Posts: 26
    Did you notice any strange objects hovering overhead? Seroiusly though... never had this problem, but I'd replace the fuse for starters, then maybe check the voltage regulator. Good luck.
    Just got back from a 2500-mile trip to/from Central Texas. My '99 GCS performed flawlessly. The new Regatta 2's also performed well, with good grip in some light snow and icy conditions and a very quiet ride on blacktop (not too quiet on rough surfaces). I was reminded again what a great highway cruiser the GCS is. Even after two days of 10 hours at the wheel, I did not feel stiff. Also, it has one of the most stable cruise controls I've ever used, varying at most only about +/- 1 mph and holding speed very well up and down even fairly steep grades.

Using the trip computer, I noticed some interesting mpg numbers (3.8L), on level ground with light winds:

60 mph - 35 mpg
    65 mph - 31 mpg
    70 mph - 26 mpg
    75 mph - 22 mpg

I can see now why Nixon set the national speed limit to 55 during the oil crisis in the winter of '73-'74.
    No UFOs or anything. They did not blink last night. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.
  • homer61388homer61388 Member Posts: 54
    My sister is looking at a new minivan. The dodge seems to be her favorite. She does frequently drive in less then ideal conditions like snow and ice and she is wondering if she really needs the all wheel drive? Her current Durango gets slim gas mileage with the 5.9 liter V8. She does however need the extra room which is why she is going to a minivan. And after her ordeal with the "gas pig Durango" she wants to get something that wont need fill-ups quite so often. A front wheel drive caravan with the 3.3 V6 gets much better fuel economy than a 5.9 V8 Durango. But the elements might cause her to switch to a 3.8 V6 caravan with all wheel drive which gets a few less miles per gallon than the front wheel drive version. Also the front-wheel drive version has a better ride and doesn't cost so much!
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    Kevin, I'd say you will get all variety of opinion on your question, so here is mine. I live in Denver and since my kids began driving about 10 years ago I have have a set of studded snow tires for winter. My wife drives a '95 Caravan FWD and I drive a '95 Subaru Outback. On plowed streets/roads the FWD seems fine (with traction control even a bit better). I have cable chains that have never been on the Caravan. Studs are not legal in some states including Wisconsin and Minnesota. AWD is helpful for off pavement or unusual grades. Add chains and you can really get back where AAA won't come get you. Last weekend I saw 2, 4WD SUVs in the ditch because they do not stop/turn any better than FWD and were driving too fast for the conditions.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Check this one of a kind minivan out.

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_045102
  • chevyguyokchevyguyok Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Grand Voyager I am preparing to install a RKE kit on. Looking at a Haynes book, I believe it may already have the RKE option, but I am trying to find out how to confirm that. Any suggestions??
  • opa1944opa1944 Member Posts: 16
    I am the "ORIGINAL" owner of a Dark Green "LE"(power seat/16" alloys/driver slider/rear AC) with 98K with 2K/6mos.left on the extended warranty. I truly love the way it rides but 100K is time to pass it along. I am about to look at Dodge, Kia Sedona and Mazda MPV. I can hardly afford the Kia but am very impressed with the warranty and the "ALL IN price" of $23K for the EX.

Description of my van:
    not garaged,average scratches, crack in the front bumper, paint is excellent, interior is excellent,
    rides very much like new.

Replaced:
    Struts/shocks (last 30K)
    Oil change every 3K
    Tires only have 18K (very good)
    Transmission ($2000 repairs under warranty-55K)
    Water Pump-55K
    Power Steering Unit-60K
    Power motors replaced-3 under warranty

Summary:
    The van is still a good running vehicle and looks very nice. However I want a new one!!

Ques:

1) Can I get $5500-6000 (more) in the metroplitan NY area? If not how much?

2) Does it pay to trade it in??

3) Looking for a new 2003(or new 2002)GC Sport 3.3L-16"alloys, CD,rack,captain chairs,cloth interior, power drivers seat,spoiler. Anyone bought one recently "ALL IN" 8 1/2% tax for $24-25K???

Comments please (especially about the value)!!

Thx,

Opa
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You almost always get more money if you sell a used car yourself, although the tax situation in your state may play a part. Then there's the hassle factor.

Try asking in the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion for value advice.

Steve, Host

• miata94miata94 Member Posts: 17
    Backy, thanks for posting the trip report. How fast were you driving over the light snow/ice? Did you encounter the icy condition on the expressway or on local roads? I have tested my Regatta 2s, and they are just fine in light snow (haven't tried ice yet and hopefully won't have to).
    I was going on I-35, four lane freeway, at posted speeds (65-70 mph). It was very light snow, but enough to make the roads wet and probably a little bit icy. Meaning I was probably going too fast for conditions. But I was just about the slowest one on the road, almost everyone else was going past me in the left lane.
    Looking for a deal on GC ex with 3.8L/CD/16"alloys/power seat/quads.

Any comments? I live in Metropolitan NY area but would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Opa
    I took my GC to the local car wash on Sat., parked it next to the car wash and put a few signs/flyers on the windshield.

Three hours later I got a phone call-sounded very interested. Next day (Sun.) the caller road tested the car and gave me my asking price plus $1 dollar=$5,000.

I received no other calls and bought a new 2003 GC ex on Tues.

Ain't life beautiful!!!

Opa
  • rpotworarpotwora Member Posts: 2
    opaa 1944
    What price did you end up paying and with any options? I am starting to see some good prices for new 2002 TC Limited.
    $26,992 (includes 8 1/2% sales tax) plus plates
    Ext Warranty-7/85K/$100 Ded.=$1,260 add'l
    (28 free oil changes/roadside/loaner)
    couple xtras N/C
    4.49%/60 mos.

Major standard features: include 3.8L V6, quads, 16"alloys,touring susp, pass side power slider, power lift gate, cloth, split bench, CD, abs 4 wheel disc, rack, keyless entry, removable center console, rear A/C, power drivers seat

Only option I paid for was: xtra power driver slider

My shopping included 6 phone calls to Sales Managers =3 very good deals and 2 internet inquiries which =1 excellent deal.I made a few follow up calls and got the price down and was offered 4.09%/60 mo. from one dealer.

A few days later I visited the best 2 dealers (price/professional/finance rate) and left 2 deposits. Bottom line I got a better deal from one and finalized the deal on the same day.

I requested the 2 dealers to complete "my form" which requested best price, finance rate, monthly rate, various extended warranty prices and finally asked for a commitment of free pin stripe, oil changes, other freebies. Both dealers were a little shocked about the form but complied. We negotiated off my form.

Winning dealer: Merrick Dodge, Merrick, LI, NY

NOTE: I suggest you start with the sales manager and work down.

Good luck,

Opa
  • ralphv1ralphv1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking for a mini-van for my wife and 2 kids. It would be used primarily in town. At one dealer thers is a 2000 Voyager, 2.4L, 3-spd auto., 3 door, basic, 27000 miles. Asking price is $10,990. The other is a '99 Caravan, 3.3l, 4-spd auto, 4th door, basic as well. Asking $8990 for this one. I know about the 4-spd auto problems, but am wondering about the 2.4, 3-spd. Any opinions? Thanks.
  • swoodyswoody Member Posts: 1
    The headlights on my 99 Voyager are terribly weak. The headlight covers are not clouded or scratched. The bulbs are just too weak. Does anyone have a suggestion for a brighter stronger bulb? Don't want the blue ones all the teeny bopers are using. Anyone have any experience with this problem?
    Purchased a new 2003 Dodge GC on 01/17/03 and received a $500 rebate. On 01/24/03 the rebate was increased to $1,000. Any chance I can get the additional $500? hOW??

I CONTACTED CHYRSLER AND RECEIVED AN E-MAIL-"SORRY".
    Of course they said "Sorry." What did you expect? Did you buy a box of Cheerios last week only to find a coupon for them in the Sunday paper a few days later? Did the grocery store give you back 50 cents? Rebates change all the time. Watch the expiration dates and buy accordingly. If the rebate does not seem real big (like $500) then wait until it expires and see what they offer next. Also, don't let a salesman say "You have to buy today becuase this big rebate ends tomorrow and then you will not get any rebate at all!" Of course they will still have a rebate after the current one ends. You don't see the vans flying off the lot as fast as they can get them off the trucks do you? I would not let $500 ruin the feeling you have for your van or dealer. The dealer can't do anything for you, the decision is DaimlerChrysler's--not the dealer's. How much lower would your payments have been had you had the extra $500? A couple of bucks?
    Thanks for your comments.

Everything you said is perfectly logical. However, 9 out of 10 customers in my position just give up after the first try. My experience is that you must continue your fight until the last round. The final bell has not rung yet!!

I will take whatever I can get. Consumers are too easy when dealing with Corporate Giants!!

I will not let this sour me for the sake of $9/month for 60 months. I enjoy the challenge!!

Thx,

Opa
    Edmunds' Long Term Road Test of the Grand Caravan is winding down.

Steve, Host
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    You put the poor young guy into a Grand Caravan loaded with almost every bell and whistle known to mankind, and he obviously didn't even think to look in the manual before setting off, then he complains about not knowing how to use the controls?

Oh well, the rest of the writeup was complementary. Especially notice: No maintenance issues, no repairs.
    Our editors are consumate professionals. They don't need no stinking manuals :-)

Steve, Host
    Who don't know how to read the international standard contol symbols?
    or does the type on this message board seem to change from small to large and back from time to time?
    Well, some of us posters don't know how to spell "consummate" either :-) Serves me right for running to the ski hill without spell-checking that last post.

I was more concerned about the loose stuff running around on the floorboards. I have similar problems with my van even though I have a little box that fits under the "purse" net between the seats. I'm not sure how they parcel out the test cars in the garage in Santa Monica - could be that the manuals are kept in a file cabinet somewhere.

And the fonts have been tweaked some since the latest site upgrade, but they shouldn't be changing much now. The last time it happened someone was messing with the style sheets and didn't check with the right person I guess.

Steve, Host
    I think people missed the point.

Having driven a GC for almost 7 years ('96 LE and '03 ex) I dont know if I can ever go back to a passenger car.

I can tell you that in Austria last year I drove a '02 Chrysler Voyager on the Autobahn at 180 kilometers (that's 110 mph) and it was smoothhhhhhh and quietttttt!!

Please keep sharing the adventures/opinions of other mini van drivers (good and bad).

Thx,

Opa
    My brother has an '00 Caravan (can't ever remember the flavor). It's a nice ride - did a 14 hour road trip in it two summers ago. Our Quest is pushing 79,000 miles now and it's still comfy.

But we're planning on adding a wagon to the fleet here in Boise. That'll be interesting since we've mostly only driven vans since '89.

Steve, Host
  • redvrexredvrex Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a used DC, and It's important to me that the rear seats be easy to remove and/or the middle seat back folds down. Does anyone know what year these features were implemented, or where I might find out?
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    All the seats are easy to remove but they are heavy, especially the last row. The middle seat backs don't fold down.
    If the middle seats are the quad seats, the seat backs do fold flat.
    Anyone out there purchased or even seen a Caravan SXT with ABS? I've seen some great deals advertised on SXTs recently, as low as $17,500, and the equipment on them is just about perfect for me except for lack of ABS. The Dodge web site does not mention ABS on the SXT. GCSes are being advertised close to $20k and those have ABS, but I've been thinking about getting a short-wheelbase van the next time (have a GCS now).
    Magic Minivan Moments

Steve, Host
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    And I've only owned two, an 85 and a 96 (still have the 96). They'll probably be up to 13 million or so by the time the next one is purchased. Maybe I should enter and could own a new one at no cost!
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    >"Our game plan is to take any vehicles in the line of Mercedes commercial vans in Europe that are appropriate for sale in the U.S. market," said Jim Schroer, Chrysler's executive vice president of global sales and marketing.

This means not only the Vito, but any other vehicle "that make sense," he said.

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=41553

So the next Dodge van might be a caravito... or a vitavan. Dodge styling with MB engines and trannies might be an irresistible combination.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    No comments?
    This thread is not among the most active, in case you haven't noticed!
    With all the rebates and special financing Chrysler is offering, I'm considering trading. My 2001 Voyager is about $5000 upside down, but my dealer is offering me a 2003 Voyager LX with quad seating, ABS, keyless, and roof rack (all things my current van does not have) for a payment the same as what I have now. I just have to figure out if I want to start over on a new loan or have mine paid off in only 3 more years. I would love the captain's chairs, though!
    Today I traded my 2001 Voyager for a 2003 Voyager LX. It has quad captains, ABS and a few other things my 1st one did not have. Thanks to the interest rates they have today, I lowered my payment $25/mo--not bad considering I was about $5000 upside down on my trade!
    I have noticed three things right away where Chrysler is attempting to save production costs with new vans. My 2001 Voyager had two lights on the inside of the rear hatch for illumination while my 2003 has only one. The 2001 had vents in the arm rests of the front doors to help direct air to the back, the 2003 does not. The third is one I noticed with the 2002 models. They took the name "CHRYSLER" of of the front doors and put it on the rear hatch. The name on the side was great as the new ones look much more generic on the sides. Oh well, I guess they have to save money somewhere. I noticed the 2003 says it gets 20 mpg on the sticker, where my 2001 advertised 18 mpg (which is about what it would get). I wonder how they squeezed out 2 more mpg?
    >>> I wonder how they squeezed out 2 more mpg? <<<

Fewer parts = less weight = better mpg? ;-)
    Congrats on the new ride!

Steve, Host
    Maybe. I did notice last night a piece at the base of the windshield that I do not remember my 2001 Voyager having. It is a curved piece of black plasticy material near the windshield wipers that--IMO--works to help push air over the van to maybe lower drag and raise mileage. I don't know. Maybe the fact that my last van was dark green and my new van is white means I just did not notice it before.
    Just got back from a week in Florida in my new 2003 Voyager LX. It did wonderfully. I took out half of the split rear bench and had tons of space. The captain's chairs meant no fighting between my 2 and 4 year old boys at all! Chrysler must have changed the suspension or something between 2001 and 2003 because my new van seemed much more stable on the road. At highway speeds a passing semi in the other direction had no affect on my van. It rained almost the whole way down and the van seemed to hold the road real well. I had one pretty hard braking incident on the way down in the rain and I could feel slight pulses in the brake pedal from the ABS doing its job. Overall, I'm very pleased!
  • tollelegetollelege Member Posts: 10
    I have a 97 Voyager with 3.0 liter V6 nearing 100K miles. I can't find any recommendations on changing the timing belt vis-a-vis mileage. I have the official Chrysler shop manual and the procedure looks pretty ugly. I would assume that since it is a chain, it is a little more robust than a belt. What's the concensus on if and when it should be changed. Thanks.