Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    "Minivan sales remain strong with Dodge Caravan sales increasing 33 percent."

Dog days of August (nwitimes.com)

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Two months ago we had the clock spring replaced in our 2002 Caravan. Well, the air bag indicator light is on again. Has anyone has a problem like this with a newer van? I know it was a problem mid 90's.
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    You should get it checked out. I have not had this problem, sorry.
  • We have an appointment for this Fri. am. We are going to have them look at the noise in the steering since the power steering hose re-call too. Also there is something clunking underneath when I drive. I am going to have them check that out too. Sounds like a broken shock mount or something. The hazards of living in the frozen north!
    That's too bad. Good luck getting it fixed!
  • We had the van in to the dealership on Fri. They tell us the air bag light is on due to something in the seat belt malfunctioning. They have ordered the part and we go back in two weeks. The clunk from under the front end turned out to be a bad stabilizer bar and some other part. The work was done under warrenty but we can't help wondering why with only 48,000 km( approx 27,000 mile)did it go bad? This is a 2002 after all!We asked about the shudder on deceleration and they said it was *normal* for a Caravan.
    We finally figured out why the van steered so poorly when we bought it in May, the stabilizer bar was bad. Why were they not able to figure it out then?
    It handles much better now, we still like the van. The dealership is working things out and we are pleased. Anyone had to have this work done?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    Everything you always wanted to know about the minivan that saved Chrysler.

Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth Minivans

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    We recently traded in our 96 ES for a 2003. The 96 was an absolute delight with no major problems for the 7 years we had it. I'm amazed at how many new features the new van has, automatic doors, automatic rear hatch and all kinds of features the 96 didn't have,like automatic headlights that go on whenever it starts to get dark, the lights also go on automatically when the wipers are on, (required in our state), the front and rear lights flash on the side of the car you unlock or if you open the rear side door on that side, and both rear lights flash when you open the rear hatch. These features are great when approaching the car at night, as you can tell which side is unlocked, and if you need to push the remote again to unlock the other side. The only things I notice that is missing is the wiper heater in the windshield and a glove box light, but both floor consoles have lights in them. So far It's a great ride and quieter than the 96. As an aside, one of the sales people at the dealership bought our old van and loves it too.
  • Has anyone experienced a problem with the van not moving when you are in reverse? I put the van into reverse , the motor raced up but it would not move! Another thing, all the letters ( PRD3L)
    had a circle around it like it does when you put it into gear. Only the reverse should have had the circle. This has happened to me twice.
    I just play with changing back to park and the reverse and the other gears and it finally works.
    This is a 2002 Caravan SE. If anyone knows what this is, please help ! Thanks
    this has not happened to me in either our old 2001 Voyager or current 2003 Voyager LX (both with 3.3l V6 and 4 sp transmission). Good luck getting it figured out!
  • pb17pb17 Posts: 33
    Are rear discs brakes available on the Voyagers? If so, when was this offered as an option? Was it a single option or bundled with some other stuff? A sales rep for Chrysler says any Voyager equiped with ABS had rear dics. How about Dodge? Did the Caravan every have rear discs?
  • the van is a front wheel drive so it is better in the snow than rear wheel drive. i have an '01 grand voyager crd and it is doing great in the snow. of course, one must drive with reasonable care in inclement weather. i don't think chicago gets worse winter than the alps.
  • Me and my Wife just purchased a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan EX in September 2003 with only 37,027 miles. We really love our van a lot, but was wondering how it handles in snow? We live in the windy city, Chicago, and can get a lot of snow. Any feed back would be appreciated especially for the same make and model as ours.
    I believe the Voyager has rear drums--even with ABS. My 2003 Voyager LX has ABS, so I'll check my window sticker--but I believe it has rear drums.
    Has anyone ever seen a loaded Voyager/Caravan? By loaded I mean, power seats, trip computer/homelink console, v6, rear buckets, etc.., Checked on Voyagers last weekend and all the Chrysler dealer had was 4 cylinder, base models. It's the smaller size that appeals to me.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    look at the mazda mpv
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,746
    You can get a loaded Caravan, e.g. the Caravan Sport with whatever options you want. The Voyager is no more, but for 2004 DC sells a Town & Country short wheelbase model. Since it's a T&C, I'm assuming you can get it loaded, but you can check with your Chrysler dealer or right here at Edmunds.com.

P.S. There's a special "anniversary" model Caravan and T&C available now with DVD, leather, and lots of other goodies at a really good price. I've seen the Grand Caravan model priced at just over $24k. I don't know though if there is a short wheelbase version. If you want a small, loaded van, clpurnell is right, check out the MPV ES--there's great deals on the '03s right now if you can find one, and they aren't that much different than the '04s.
    My 2003 Voyager LX is pretty loaded up. It's got the V6, ABS, quad captains and split folding rear bench, roof rack, etc. It is correct that the Voyager name is no longer offered, but a SWB van is available under the T&C name. A couple of years ago, Chrysler offered the Voyager with power sliding doors and overhead console type options, but that quit for 2003 I believe. I guess no one was buying the SWB vans equipped like that, so they dropped the options from the line.
    Were rear discs available as an option?
    No. I have the standard front disc/rear drums with added ABS.
  • Me and My Wife own a 2001 Grand Caravan EX. It has the powerful 3.8L engine with aluminum 16 inch tires. (4) captain chairs and 50/50 split rear seats (and all seats do recline and are fabric material). The drivers chair is an eightway power seat where as the passenger seat is not. There is an overhead console that gives the outside temperature and direction only. Triple zone manual filtered air/heat (driver, passenger and rear seats). ABS and 4 disc braking system. Driver and passenger front and side air bags. Nice sounding 6 speaker premium sound system with equalizers, tape player and single CD player. (4) 12 volz outlets. Removable center console w/storage bin, cell phone holder and power supply. Passenger side power sliding door and power rear hatch. Heated front and rear Pak for wipers. Power 3 way folding mirrors with heat. Power locks with automatic lock feature. Power front and rear vent windows. Storage drawer under passenger seat and two 3rd row seat hideaway storage compartments. Not to mention the storage compartment on both the driver and passenger doors. Automatic headlights off when you forget to turn them off. Remote keyless entry keyfob for all doors. Convenient storage compartment for jack and spare tire crank/cable system. Lighted entry system. Roof rack and cargo storage organizer. I might have gone a little to far with this, but these are the things that I love about our van. We purchased it used.
  • dcrobdcrob Posts: 2
    I just purchased a new 2003 Caravan in Canada. It was built in Fenton Missouri in January 03.
    My question ? Where has my van been for the last 10 months ,seems to me that this is a long time between construction and sale. should I be concerned ? An interesting point I purchased this vehicle within 1-2 miles of the Windsor On. assembly plant.
    That is great about your van, but it does not answer the question posed by pd17. He was asking about loaded Voyagers and Caravans--the SWB models. You have a Grand Caravan--the LWB model. My 2003 Voyager LX is about as loaded as a SWB van can get.
    Who knows? You know the SWB vans are not in huge demand. It is possible your van sat on a lot somewhere and was kind of "forgotten about" for a while. When I bought my 2003 Voyager back in April, the dealer had to go to their overflow lot about 10 miles away to get it so I could test drive it. I found the van on the Internet and showed up to see it. They did not even keep it on their lot. They had 1 Voyager on their lot for customers to see. If they don't stock it, they can't sell it. Unfortunately, folks like us who want the SWB vans on purpose are more rare so the dealers don't take up a lot of "show room space" to keep them on their front lots. I would not be worried at all. Your warranty did not start until the day you bought it.
  • Your absolutely right uga91. From the way that you and pd17 conversation was going, it seems that some of the features that pd17 is looking for is not found on the Voyagers or Caravan SWB, but on the Grand Caravan LWB. All I'm trying to do is give pd17 something to consider and think about even though they like the SWB Voyager/Caravan. I learned a lot about the Chrysler Town and Country and Dodge Grand Caravan when I was researching each module and trim level. I found that what I was willing to pay and what features I wanted made a big difference on the final decision since certain models had specific things that other ones didn't. I'm not sure how many trim levels there are or what options are available on the Voyager/Caravan. I wanted to give pd17 some information on the Grand Caravan if the features he/she is looking for wasn't available on the SWB Voyager/Caravan. The way I see it. The more choices the better.
    I, for one, bought the Voyager over the Grand Caravan or another LWB on purpose. I wanted the SWB van. I did not, however, want a stripped van. I have ABS like the T&C does. I have quad captains and the split folding rear bench like the T&C does. I have the same engine, transmission, wheels, tires and stereo as the T&C LX as well. I just wanted the shorter van.
  • Not sure about what you mean when you said, "I did not, however, want a stripped van".
    Some people, I believe, buy the SWB to spend as few dollars as possible. After all, it's always the basic 4 cylinder Caravan the dealers advertise for $15000 so you'll come in the door to see them. I think many people DO buy the SWB vans because money is tight so they have to forgo options to get the space they need. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm sure many people could have bought a nicer van, but they did nto see the need in spending the money to do so. That's fine. I think, though, that there is a stigma that if you didn't buy the LWB van it is because you could not afford one. I, on the other hand, actually WANTED the SWB van. However, I wanted some things usually found on "nicer" LWB vans. Things like quad captains and 50/50 split folding rear bench. The roof rack. ABS. That is what I meant. I wanted a SWB van on purpose. I could have bought a LWB van for what I paid for my Voyager LX, but I did not want a LWB van. Many SWB vans are not real well equipped for monetary reasons. I did not want one of those vans.
  • I liked how you explained that. I totally understand your point.
  • dcrobdcrob Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply, I believe your right about the warranty, I should not be concerned,but still seems like along time for a dealer to have a vehicle hanging around. Do you know if all Caravans are asembled in Fenton and all Grand Caravans in Windsor.? I thought both were asembled in each plant. Thanks again