Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• pb17pb17 Member Posts: 33
    Are rear discs brakes available on the Voyagers? If so, when was this offered as an option? Was it a single option or bundled with some other stuff? A sales rep for Chrysler says any Voyager equiped with ABS had rear dics. How about Dodge? Did the Caravan every have rear discs?
  • eandlcubedeandlcubed Member Posts: 78
    the van is a front wheel drive so it is better in the snow than rear wheel drive. i have an '01 grand voyager crd and it is doing great in the snow. of course, one must drive with reasonable care in inclement weather. i don't think chicago gets worse winter than the alps.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Me and my Wife just purchased a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan EX in September 2003 with only 37,027 miles. We really love our van a lot, but was wondering how it handles in snow? We live in the windy city, Chicago, and can get a lot of snow. Any feed back would be appreciated especially for the same make and model as ours.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    I believe the Voyager has rear drums--even with ABS. My 2003 Voyager LX has ABS, so I'll check my window sticker--but I believe it has rear drums.
    Has anyone ever seen a loaded Voyager/Caravan? By loaded I mean, power seats, trip computer/homelink console, v6, rear buckets, etc.., Checked on Voyagers last weekend and all the Chrysler dealer had was 4 cylinder, base models. It's the smaller size that appeals to me.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    look at the mazda mpv
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You can get a loaded Caravan, e.g. the Caravan Sport with whatever options you want. The Voyager is no more, but for 2004 DC sells a Town & Country short wheelbase model. Since it's a T&C, I'm assuming you can get it loaded, but you can check with your Chrysler dealer or right here at Edmunds.com.

P.S. There's a special "anniversary" model Caravan and T&C available now with DVD, leather, and lots of other goodies at a really good price. I've seen the Grand Caravan model priced at just over $24k. I don't know though if there is a short wheelbase version. If you want a small, loaded van, clpurnell is right, check out the MPV ES--there's great deals on the '03s right now if you can find one, and they aren't that much different than the '04s.
    My 2003 Voyager LX is pretty loaded up. It's got the V6, ABS, quad captains and split folding rear bench, roof rack, etc. It is correct that the Voyager name is no longer offered, but a SWB van is available under the T&C name. A couple of years ago, Chrysler offered the Voyager with power sliding doors and overhead console type options, but that quit for 2003 I believe. I guess no one was buying the SWB vans equipped like that, so they dropped the options from the line.
    Were rear discs available as an option?
    No. I have the standard front disc/rear drums with added ABS.
    Me and My Wife own a 2001 Grand Caravan EX. It has the powerful 3.8L engine with aluminum 16 inch tires. (4) captain chairs and 50/50 split rear seats (and all seats do recline and are fabric material). The drivers chair is an eightway power seat where as the passenger seat is not. There is an overhead console that gives the outside temperature and direction only. Triple zone manual filtered air/heat (driver, passenger and rear seats). ABS and 4 disc braking system. Driver and passenger front and side air bags. Nice sounding 6 speaker premium sound system with equalizers, tape player and single CD player. (4) 12 volz outlets. Removable center console w/storage bin, cell phone holder and power supply. Passenger side power sliding door and power rear hatch. Heated front and rear Pak for wipers. Power 3 way folding mirrors with heat. Power locks with automatic lock feature. Power front and rear vent windows. Storage drawer under passenger seat and two 3rd row seat hideaway storage compartments. Not to mention the storage compartment on both the driver and passenger doors. Automatic headlights off when you forget to turn them off. Remote keyless entry keyfob for all doors. Convenient storage compartment for jack and spare tire crank/cable system. Lighted entry system. Roof rack and cargo storage organizer. I might have gone a little to far with this, but these are the things that I love about our van. We purchased it used.
  • dcrobdcrob Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a new 2003 Caravan in Canada. It was built in Fenton Missouri in January 03.
    My question ? Where has my van been for the last 10 months ,seems to me that this is a long time between construction and sale. should I be concerned ? An interesting point I purchased this vehicle within 1-2 miles of the Windsor On. assembly plant.
    That is great about your van, but it does not answer the question posed by pd17. He was asking about loaded Voyagers and Caravans--the SWB models. You have a Grand Caravan--the LWB model. My 2003 Voyager LX is about as loaded as a SWB van can get.
    Who knows? You know the SWB vans are not in huge demand. It is possible your van sat on a lot somewhere and was kind of "forgotten about" for a while. When I bought my 2003 Voyager back in April, the dealer had to go to their overflow lot about 10 miles away to get it so I could test drive it. I found the van on the Internet and showed up to see it. They did not even keep it on their lot. They had 1 Voyager on their lot for customers to see. If they don't stock it, they can't sell it. Unfortunately, folks like us who want the SWB vans on purpose are more rare so the dealers don't take up a lot of "show room space" to keep them on their front lots. I would not be worried at all. Your warranty did not start until the day you bought it.
    Your absolutely right uga91. From the way that you and pd17 conversation was going, it seems that some of the features that pd17 is looking for is not found on the Voyagers or Caravan SWB, but on the Grand Caravan LWB. All I'm trying to do is give pd17 something to consider and think about even though they like the SWB Voyager/Caravan. I learned a lot about the Chrysler Town and Country and Dodge Grand Caravan when I was researching each module and trim level. I found that what I was willing to pay and what features I wanted made a big difference on the final decision since certain models had specific things that other ones didn't. I'm not sure how many trim levels there are or what options are available on the Voyager/Caravan. I wanted to give pd17 some information on the Grand Caravan if the features he/she is looking for wasn't available on the SWB Voyager/Caravan. The way I see it. The more choices the better.
    I, for one, bought the Voyager over the Grand Caravan or another LWB on purpose. I wanted the SWB van. I did not, however, want a stripped van. I have ABS like the T&C does. I have quad captains and the split folding rear bench like the T&C does. I have the same engine, transmission, wheels, tires and stereo as the T&C LX as well. I just wanted the shorter van.
    Not sure about what you mean when you said, "I did not, however, want a stripped van".
    Some people, I believe, buy the SWB to spend as few dollars as possible. After all, it's always the basic 4 cylinder Caravan the dealers advertise for $15000 so you'll come in the door to see them. I think many people DO buy the SWB vans because money is tight so they have to forgo options to get the space they need. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm sure many people could have bought a nicer van, but they did nto see the need in spending the money to do so. That's fine. I think, though, that there is a stigma that if you didn't buy the LWB van it is because you could not afford one. I, on the other hand, actually WANTED the SWB van. However, I wanted some things usually found on "nicer" LWB vans. Things like quad captains and 50/50 split folding rear bench. The roof rack. ABS. That is what I meant. I wanted a SWB van on purpose. I could have bought a LWB van for what I paid for my Voyager LX, but I did not want a LWB van. Many SWB vans are not real well equipped for monetary reasons. I did not want one of those vans.
    I liked how you explained that. I totally understand your point.
  • dcrobdcrob Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply, I believe your right about the warranty, I should not be concerned,but still seems like along time for a dealer to have a vehicle hanging around. Do you know if all Caravans are asembled in Fenton and all Grand Caravans in Windsor.? I thought both were asembled in each plant. Thanks again
    I don't know if that statement is true or not; but, my Voyager was assembled in Fenton, MO.
  • joel_in_nolajoel_in_nola Member Posts: 6
    When we purchased our van last year, we also went with the SWB caravan. We chose the caravan over the voyager due to the fact that we had a special rebate for dodge vehicles (but not chrysler). We chose a SWB over a LWB because my wife, who is the primary driver, hadn't driven anything larger than a honda civic coupe. We felt that starting out with a SWB van would be a better choice. Also, since all she will be doing with it for 90% of its life is running around town with the kids, we wouldn't need the extra storage room of the LWB van.

We wanted something loaded, so, we chose the SWB caravan sport model with the 25H package (I think). The only things it didn't have (remember, this is April 2002, the sxt and alloy wheels weren't package options yet) is the few options that were added by the ultra-rare touring package and AWD. Our only regret is that we don't have the split folding rear seat and instead have the monsterous 1 peice seat.

We shopped it against the only other SWB vans out there (MPV, villager, and old quest). The villager and the old quest were tossed out early as being too much for too little. The MPV was very nice, and the LX wasn't much different in price than the Caravan sport-H (before a tall stack of rebates). But, after you added all the rebates, we were able to get the Caravan for thousands less than the MPV, and my wife didn't like that the MPV rode exceptionally rough compared to the caravan. I explained that it had a more "sporting" suspension setup, but, she said that we wouldn't be racing the van, so comfort was more important :) .

As for the voyager, we looked over the options, and, aside from the rear seat and one or two other very minor differences, it was basically the same van we got with Chrysler emblems instead of dodge ones. It wasn't worth the $1000 price difference to get different emblems.
  • early74bearly74b Member Posts: 34
    I'm sure DC has done their research but can remember my sister who lived outside D.C. at the time really liked our LWB DGC but had limited space in the garage of her rented house so ended up with a SWB DC LE (had traction control and a lot of extra options). I wondered what the mix was between LWB and SWB but if its any indication the new stow n' go seats won't be available in SWB (nor will AWD be offered in either ... DC says that only 3% of the vans they sell are AWD).
    early74b, where did you find out the '05 SWB vans would not have the stow 'n go rear seat? The MPV is about the same length as the SWB DC vans and it has a stow 'n go rear seat.
  • early74bearly74b Member Posts: 34
    Got the specifics mentioned from an article in the Chicago Tribune (from this past Sunday on the front page of the Auto section). Also saw another press release that states the stow n' go seats will be standard equipment on the high end models rather than an option (again it cuts cost on having to build more varieties). I don't think its due to engineering (lack of space) but rather trying to keep the SWB price down and perhaps the volume didn't justify it although we can only speculate on the reason they're not. As DC says prod' starts Mar '04 I'm sure if they get enough interest they'll consider it. I was at a consumer mkt research event last month (see other threads) and DC is at least interested in consumer reactions and interests in the proposed changes ... they didn't have ANY SWB van's shown if that tells you anything!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    As I posted six months ago or so, Mrs. Shipo and I picked up her new, fairly loaded 2003 Grand Caravan ES, however, contrary to my earlier post, we decided to keep the old 1998 Grand Caravan Sport instead of trading it in, and as a result, I have a chance to drive each of the two vans on a fairly regular basis. Interestingly enough, I was prepared to like the new van in every way hands-down over the old one, unfortunately, this is not the case. On the whole however, I do like the new one more. The following is a subjective list of my likes and dislikes about each van:

Power – Both vans are of the GC/LWB variety, and both have the 3.8 liter mill, the ES outweighs the Sport by a little less than 300 pounds but the ES has the newer incarnation of the 3.8 which sports 215 HP and 245 lb-ft of torque (albeit at higher RPM thresholds) vs. the 180 HP and 240 lb-ft of the older model. On paper at least, the ES looks like it should be noticeably faster than the Sport, and maybe it is by a tick or two at speeds over 65, however, off the line the ES is no match for the Sport which can flat suck the doors off of the ES! Winner: 1998 Sport

Climate control – The old van has the standard manual Left/Right controls for temperature control, the new van has the Three Zone Climate control, which according to my kids is "WAY better" because they don't have to freeze in back just because I like to be cool in front. Winner: 2003 ES

Seating Position – The old van has the power adjustable drivers' seat while the new van has that as well as the adjustable pedals. Even though I am only 5'8", I have always felt that my legs were just a little too long to allow me to get completely comfortable in the old van and I was really looking forward to the adjustable pedals in the new one. The good news is that the adjustable pedals are great! The bad news is that DC has decided to raise the minimum seating position on the new van and consequently, I feel just as awkward as I do in the old van, just for different reasons. Winner: Draw

A/V System – The Sport is limited to just the "A" with its nicely done Infiniti system while the ES has the DVD Video system added to the mix. Trust me, your kids are far more tractable on long trips with the likes of Lilo and Stitch playing back there than with just Stevie Ray Vaughan on the CD player. Winner: 2003 ES

Steering Wheel Controls – The Sport is limited to just the Cruise Control, the ES has that as well as media and volume controls, which I actually like even better than the ones on the steering wheel of my 530i. Winner: 2003 ES

Rear Bench Seat – The old van has the full width bench that folds and slides forward as a unit and is removed as a unit as well. The new van has a split seat that is FAR easier to manage. Winner: 2003 ES

Gas Mileage: - Recently, we needed to drive each van to NYC and back, a trip that is roughly 500 miles. The 1998 Sport managed 23.7 while the 2003 ES was only able to post 21.9 as it pulled back into the garage, this in spite of the fact that the 2003 has a higher EPA rating. Winner: 1998 Sport

Doors – I never thought I’d say this, but I actually like the power doors and lift gate. Nuff said. Winner: 2003 ES

Door lock buttons – On the 1998, Chrysler chose a button type that, when unlocked, is flush with the top curve of the window sill. On the 2003, DC used a "PopUp" kind that, when fully depressed, still rise about 3/8" above the sill. I have a tendency to rest my left arm on that sill when I'm driving and unfortunately, the damn lock button drills into my arm whenever I'm driving the new van. Winner: 1998 Sport

Cruise Control – In hilly regions the 1998 seems to be unable to keep the van at a constant speed. Case in point, I-84 north of Hartford, CT has lots of long rolling hills, and left to its own devices, the Sport will lose eight to ten miles per hour on the way up. The ES seems to be able to hold the speed to within one mile per hour from where I set it. Winner: 2003 ES

Headlights – The headlights on the 1998 were never its strong point and DC thankfully improved them on this go around. Winner: 2003 ES

All in all, I like the 2003 ES better, however, for heavy traffic situations like driving in and around NYC, I prefer the 1998 Sport with its dramatically better low end torque.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ...for the comparison Shipo. Just one comment: Your 1998 Sport's cruise control behaviour may be due to a leaking battery vacuum tray, and may be covered by a recall. Otherwise there is a TSB out for this. After the replacement, the cruise on my GC Sport has worked within an mph or two of the set speed, as it should.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Thanks for the "Heads-Up" on the TSB. The only problem is that the 1998 has only seen the inside of a dealership for the 30K and 60K "Once-Overs". Given that I still have 10,600 miles to go before I hit 90K (assuming we keep the van that long), it could be another year before I Need to take it in. :-/

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    I'm looking to add DVD rear seat video to my 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. Have started research but am having difficulty finding answers. Can anyone comment on factory-installed or MOPAR accessory system (DVD player in-dash with 7" fold-down screen in overhead console plus wireless headphones) in a Grand Caravan, Caravan, T&C, or Voyager (maybe Durango is similar too)? Can anyone verify whether or not wiring for the overhead already exists in these vehicles? I'm in the process of ordering the factory service manual, which may (or may not) be of help.

There are several aftermarket kits available. Hard to find concrete comparisons on features and performance. One thing I'm interested to know is side-to-side viewing angle; I have read that some monitors have very narrow viewing angles.

If anyone has experience with installing (or having installed) such a system, please let us know what you found out.
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    DaimlerChrysler techauthority sells two service manuals that appear to be for my vehicle (2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT): "2004 RS Minivan Service Manual" for $150 (paper, I assume) and "2004 Town & Country / Caravan Service Manual CD" for $90. Two questions:

I have used paper factory service manuals for over 30 years, but never had experience with CD versions. How do they compare? I would expect the CD version to simply be images of what is in the paper version. But technology may have gone beyond that.

Does anyone know of better pricing? I have tried eBay and some other suppliers without success so far. I am not looking for Chilton or other non-factory manuals.
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    I recently purchased an 02 T&C Ltd. I had a 7" Myron & Davis overhead LCD monitor installed (in a dedicated factory-type pod that accommodated the rear air controls) and a Microvision DVD player installed under the front pass seat. Even with the power seat motors this unit fit fine. The disk ejects towards the front of the car. The DVD is wired into the sound system via an FM modulator (88.7 FM), which sounds fine, but the sound is usually delivered via Myron & Davis wireless headphones.

The whole setup cost $900 (including 3 sets of headphones). And no, there were no existing wires hidden in the headliner. When I stopped by to check on the install the headliner was hanging down, the driver-side light above the slider was hanging, the front console was mostly removed to get access to the radio, the front passenger seat was unbolted from the floor and tilted back and the carpet was pulled up. Not a pretty sight, but it all went back together tight and squeak-free.

We tested the system out on a ski trip to canada and learned that it was money well spent and the whole thing worked great. I had wanted an 8" screen but those were discontinued, but the 7" was completely adequate.

IMO, this is not a DIY job.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Chrysler Group says the heavily revised 2005 Dodge and Chrysler minivans, due at the Detroit auto show next week and dealers in the spring, will come equipped with more standard safety equipment than its current vans. Along with an anticipated five-star crash safety rating, Chrysler is endowing the vans with standard and optional safety features like multistage airbags, antilock brakes, seatbelt reminders, an inflatable knee blocker, three-row side curtain airbags and rear park assist. "Minivans, as a category, are already one of the safest vehicles on the road," said Mike Donoughe, vice president, Family Vehicle Product Team, Chrysler Group. "Our comprehensive safety features help our minivans perform where it matters most -- on the road in real-world driving conditions."

(source: Edmunds Vans Newsletter)

Steve, Host
  • candlemaker2candlemaker2 Member Posts: 67
    We traded our problematic 2002 Caravan for a 2003Caravan. It has under 3000 km (just over 1000 miles)now. We bought it Dec. 1/03. the other day I noticed red liquid dripping onto the snow. I had it towed in to the nearest dealer and they said it had a ruptured transmission cooling hose and that the connection to the rad was loose. They said it was a good thing I had towed it not driven it in.
    Anyone heard of this in a brand new van? It has been very cold here,but I do warm it up for 10-15 min before I drive it. Just curious.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Things do like to break in the cold.

It wasn't as consistently cold as parts of Alberta can be, but I drove a Voyager for ten years in Anchorage and never intentionally warmed it up (sometimes it got to idle a few minutes while I was scraping the windshield).

If it were really cold (0°F/-18°C or colder), I'd turn on the block heater for an hour. Otherwise I'd just put it in gear and creep out of the neighborhood and drive gently for a mile or so.

Cars don't seem to mind idling like they did in the old days (and they idle a lot cleaner these days), but my old school mentality still thinks it's better just to get in and go.

Either way, a bad hose is a bad hose and hopefully yours is not a taste of problems to come.

Steve, Host
    Sorry to hear about that. Our 2003 Voyager has not had that problem; but, in Atlanta, we don't have your temperatures! Hopefully you'll be running fine now.
  • candlemaker2candlemaker2 Member Posts: 67
    Thanks for the posts. It is fixed and is running great. We too hope there are no more problems with it. We had our share with the 02 we bought used. We like the Caravan and know tons of people who have them and Voyagers,problems are not common with them.
    We think the person who owned the 02 before us abused it. This one is new so we will know what is done to it and when. You have to admit, they are the nicest looking mini van made !
    My 2003 Voyager LX just turned 9000 miles and so far it runs just like it did the day I bought it last April. I know this is not a lot of miles; but, I feel that if there were some sort of workmanship defect that it would start showing up by now. I plan on taking it by the dealer today to get it's oil changed (they're free at the dealer for 3 years or 45,000 miles, so why not?) and have it looked over. Before this one, I had a base 2001 Voyager (but with the V6) and it ran just fine until I bought this one. So, I've had almost 3 years of experience with the current Chrysler mini vans and they've been good ones!
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    You've had a 2001 and now a 2003? You sure don't keep your vans long. Our first Caravan was a 1985. Kept 12 years and about 80K miles. Not the most trouble free van (AC and radiator were fairly pricey repairs), but never had a transmission or engine problem and we were never stranded with it.

We now have a '96 (bought new as a leftover model in April, 1997) which is now at 75K miles. This one has been very good. Only major problem so far was an expensive AC repair two years ago. Van still drives and runs like new. Very quiet and smooth, and handles decently for a minivan. Again, we have never been stranded with it. We will likely keep this one another 2-3 years.

So we have now nearly 20 years of Caravan experience, mostly positive. I will never get my wife to drive another type of vehicle, given the hauling flexibility, commanding view of the road, comfortable ride at a reasonable cost.
    Well, our 2001 was a base model. We wanted captain's chairs and anti-lock brakes, but not the extended length. The SWB is what I prefer since the van is basically just a people hauler in Atlanta. If we took road trips all the time, I would want the space, but we don't, so I don't. Anyway, in May 2001, money was a little tight, but we just had our 3rd child, so we had to get out of our mid size sedan. Since money was tight, I did not want a used van because I did not want to risk high dollar repairs. That left a few new vans to choose from. Last spring, money was much better and Chrysler was offering really good deals, so we decided to upgrade. We plan on keeping this van a very long time. It's quiet, smooth, comfortable and roomy enough for our needs.
    I understand you now.

Our '96 is a fairly loaded-sport model(SWB) which included captains chairs and ABS, alloy wheels and upgraded sound system. Normally we don't buy all these bells and whistles, but being a leftover model, we got quite a bargain. Basically got all the upgrades for the same price we would have had to pay for a base 97 model at the time. Seems most people buying the SWB Caravans don't buy them as well equipped, so the one we bought sat on the lot for a long time with no action and the dealer sharpened their pencil.
    I think the model we bought last April was kind of the same way. I think they had it on their lot a few months and were anxious to move it.
  • shulajshulaj Member Posts: 11
    I press the button on drivers door to close the rear window and it won't do it. Other window works, so it can't be the fuse. Is there a manual way??
  • freeziglandfreezigland Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Caravan with about 83,000 miles and the transmission is giving me problems. I want to know what is the average mileage (or age) Caravans go to the junk yard?
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ....of use and maintenance.
    I don't think anyone compiles that data, and even if they did, the data would be useless, as a good portion of the early retirements would be due to cars being totalled out due to accident.

I would think assuming decent maintenance, especially time oil changes were done, your vehicle should easily go 150K or more, with some maintenance costs. In your situation, unless you put an extreme value on no downtime in the future, I would get the transmission fixed, rebuilt or a swap rebuilt transmission put in.

It is premature though to assume your transmission is about to die. Get one or two opinions, it may be a minor issue, like a solenoid hanging up, low or dirty transmission fluid, etc.
    I'd appreciate the opinions of people who have the split rear seat, either in the short or Grand vans. Are you glad you got it? How easy is it to remove and replace? Is each section on rollers (I can't remember)? Does the seat recline, as the single-piece bench does? Does each piece adjust fore-and-aft? How comfortable is the center position, especially on trips of a couple hours or more?

I've been watching the prices of the '04 DC vans plummet in recent days, and in particular am seeing great prices on the Caravan SXT--as low as $16,800. But that is without ABS (which I have to have) and the package that includes the split rear seat. I think I can do without the other options in that package, but I feel the split seat would offer a lot of versatility and would be a lot easier to lug in and out of the van than the single-piece bench (which I have now in my '99 GCS).
    I can't comment on the DC vans split third row seats, but the prices are dropping on the 2004 models because the 2005 models are being introduced and they are clearing out the 2004's with enhanced rebates, and maybe some unpublished factory to dealer incentives.

If you don't know by now, on the 2005's they are introducing "stow and go" fully storable second and third row seats. Both rows fold completely to form a flat load floor. Third row will be 60/40 and separate sections can be folded into floor separately. Available only on the long wheel base versions.

If you don't need that feature, the 2004's will be a big bargain in the next few months. I would consider one myself, however I think we will hold on to our '96 Caravan a couple more years.
    The above is correct as to why the 2004 prices are dropping so fast. The 2005 models will be out very soon.

I do have the split folding/split removable 3rd row and it is a lifesaver for me. I have 3 kids, so I use my 3rd row every day. A solid bench (like my previous van had) was inconvenient for 2 reasons. First was that the bench was either in or out. If it was out, I lost a lot of storage, if it was in, I lost my seating capacity. My current split fold is great. I can remove half of the bench for storage and still have half for seating. As a matter of fact, I have to go on an overnight trip tonight and I will remove half the bench just for this reason. The second reason revolved around the solid folding bench seat--like in the Honda. It is also useless to me for the reasons listed above. As far as the seating position in the center--I've never sat there. My 7-year-old sits there sometimes and has never complained. I can not imagine it would be real comfortable for a long trip, though. If you're contemplating a 2004 for the great pricing--good luck; and, get the split folding seat!
    We have an 01 Grand with the split 3rd row and love it. We hardly ever remove any of the seats out of the van. The seats are very easy to unlatch and remove from the van and place back into place. It's as easy as 1,2,3. Takes about 30 seconds for each seat. Each section has rollers and they work very well I might add. Each section does recline just like the second row captain chairs and they also tumble forward for more storage space. Each section does not move fore-and-aft. I haven't sat in the middle for any given period of time, so that I can't really answer.
         As far as the 2005 are concerned. I saw them at the Chicago Auto Show and was very impressed with the stow and go. It is really convenient for those that don't like to lift the seats out. But there are some draw backs to them. The seat padding in the 2nd and 3rd row are not as thick as our van and they sit lower too. The seat backs are shorter as well. I would have to raise the head rest for protection (where in our van I don't). You don't have any space under the rear of both rows to slide stuff under or to place your feet. Since all the seats are fixed, you can not re configure them. What I mean by that is, with our van we can move the split bench to the second row to have seating for five passengers with lots of cargo room in back. The 2005's you would have to leave the second row captain chairs in and fold down part of the 60/40 split bench to make it a 5 passenger. For me this would be a problem because you would have to place the cargo in different places instead of one.
    For your input! FWIW, I am very aware of the '05s but I want a smaller vehicle this time around. I have a Prius on order, but it may not arrive before the lease runs out on my '99 GCS, so I need a contingency plan, and with the great deals offered now on the '04 Caravans and '03 MPVs, those are my most likely alternatives. Also once the price of these vans starts dipping below about $18k, the long-term financial advantage of the Prius begins to sway in favor of the vans. Unfortunately, adding the split-rear seat to the Caravan SXT adds over $1000 to its price (only available in a package).