Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    My business partner had a 1994 Intrepid that had the problem. His dealership said that it was cheaper for them (I'm not sure if the "them" was ChryCo or the dealership) to charge the system (and maybe change a hose or two) for free each year. Either way, he never paid a dime to keep the A/C running on the '94.

Since he upgraded to a 1998 Intrepid (and since to a 2001 Intrepid), he hasn't had a bit of trouble.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    ok, I am being offered a 2003 Grand Caravan Sport w/19K miles for $15K...extras look like a v6 (might be standard anyway) keyless entry and privacy glass. $15 sounds like a good price, maybe $500 - $700 less than what you'd expect to pay. The owner was a smoker and all this is contingent on them getting the smoke odor out of the van; I have my doubts they will be able to but told them to give it a try.
    WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK--A Good Price?

The extended warranty directly thru Chysler (over the phone) would be $1700 for a zero deductible maximum care package or $1275 for xero deductible Added care Package. (A $50 deductible only brings the price down a bit and a $100 surcharge is included since it is a 2003 model w/19K miles.) DOES THIS ALL SOUND CORRECT?

To me it seems crazy to pay $1200 - $1700 for extended care when the vehicle already comes with a 7/70 Powetrain warranty? I could see maybe if 3/36 was all the car came with. IS THE EXTENDED CARE WORTH IT? Am I better off just banking the $$$$ and drawing on it for repairs as needed?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    andrelaplume, it would seem from your post that you are unsure if you need the extended warranty or not. My advice again is to shop around for one that suits your needs and what your willing to pay. Some places will charge more then others, but offer less services and cover less. Some will have a deductible and others will have no deductible. You have a lot of research to do on extended warranties. Here's something to think about. All of us have some type of auto insurance. All of them cover different things and some cost more than others. Sit down and see how much you are going to be paying every year for the insurance on the 2003 GC Sport. The point I'm trying to make is that some peoples auto insurance will cost more then the extended warranty. You have a higher chance of using that extended warranty then you would a claim on your auto insurance. It's really funny how people complain about how much an extended warranty that is about 3yrs or more, but don't even realize that they might be paying about the same if not more for one year of coverage on auto insurance every year.
    The 2003 Grand Caravan is actuall $15.9K...I meant to round up to $16K!

Also, regarding the warranty...any time I have had non-OEM warranties I have ended up getting jerked around and feeling as though I was ripped off. I have found the OEM warranties thru Chrysler, Ford, Toyota etc offer few hassles.

I just find it incredible that I can buy a new Camry with a 3/36K warranty and extend it to 7/75K bumper to bumper with a $0 deductible for $650. Yet the Chrysler that comes with the same 3/36K PLUS an additional 7/70 powertrain charges $1600 for the bumper to bumper plan. It is almost as though Chrysler knows there will be a major repair and I am prepaying for it. Am I just panicking on this van's reliability?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Yes, in my opinion you are panicking. If I were you I would skip the added extended warranty. You are getting a 7/70K engine and drive train warranty, so the major items are mostly covered. Bank the savings on not buying the extended warranty and use that for any repairs. Thus you are putting the money into your own warranty account, and if you don't need any repairs, you are way ahead. I have never bought an extended vehicle warranty, and despite the expense I put into AC repairs on our 96 Caravan, I still will not buy an extended warranty next time.
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    Here's the big picture on extended warranties: they pay for repairs, administration and profit(for both sellers and the warranty company). Therefore there are buyers who receive a modest repair benefit, those who come out near even and a few who come out substantially ahead. I have never purchased an extended warranty (for a car) and have never had half the repair costs a warranty would cost. If I were to have a vehicle in the third category I would much prefer to get rid of it than suffer the hassles of excess repair regardless of how readily the company paid the bill. In my opinion these contracts are an example of lose-lose proposition with few exceptions. Roy
  • stainedglassstainedglass Member Posts: 2
    just did a complete tune up and now the service engine soon light is on any one know how to turn it off?
    Problem is if you are in the 3rd category you must first fix it then get rid of it. A new tranny is the same cost as the contract. A new agrument was presented to me today. Take the $1700 and put it towards a van with a much better repair record which is less likely to have an expensive failure. Something to think about I guess. Besides, so far they can not get the smoke smell out of the van I was to get so the point may soon be moot.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    I was told by my Chrysler dealer in 2003 that the 7/70 warranty is not as complete as it sounds. I know he was wanting to sell an extended warranty--which he did--but he told me that the warranty only covers items touched by lubricant. Or something like that. In other words, if it's a mechanical or electrical piece that is not lubricated, the 7/70 does not cover it after the 36,000 basic warranty is over. You might want to check out the fine print of all the warranties.
    FYI:
    There is a Maximum Care and Added Care. The specifics are supposedly on the cHrysler Web Site.
  • giangian Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2001 Chrysler Voyager Van. It has 33000 miles on it. 3,000 of which I put on in the last 2 months. I love it. What type of oil and grade does anyone recommend for this van?
    Well, if it uses the same as my 96 Caravan, you can use SAE 5-W-30 grade year round. I change my oil and filter myself and since it is so inexpensive to do myself, I change every 3000 miles as it is cheap insurance. Check your owners manual, it will tell you what grade.

It really doesn't matter much which brand, they all have to meet minimum industry established standards, I believe the rating is SJ now, or have they gotten to another level?

I tend to buy whatever name brand is on sale, Shell Mobil, Quakes State, whatever. With the mail in rebates that always seem to be available from the large chain auto parts stores included, I rarely spend more than 69 cents a quart.

You can buy oil filters typically for no more than $4-$5 per filter.

I don't bother with synthetic oils, I would rather change the oil oftener with inexpensive conventional oil so that I get all contamination out every oil change, rather than try to stretch my oil changes because of the expensive cost of synthetic oils.

You can buy oil change containers that make it easy to catch and take the used oil to your local recycling location. That and a few wrenches, ramps, and and oil filter wrench is all you need.

If you don't want to do it yourself you could probably easily go 5,000 miles between changes but I would still stick with non synthetic oil. Synyhetics are just too expensive for the marginal benefits, in my opinion.
  • giangian Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, so much badgerfan for your quick response. It confirmed some things, Have a great day!!!
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    >>>I don't bother with synthetic oils, I would rather change the oil oftener with inexpensive conventional oil so that I get all contamination out every oil change, rather than try to stretch my oil changes because of the expensive cost of synthetic oils.<<<

Badger,

Of course, because there are many who believe in synthetic motor oil like a religion, you're going to be considered a heretic. However, as a synthetic oil user myself I think you are unequivocally correct.

There is a point at which it is not cost effective nor the best for the engine to use synthetic motor oil for long durations. There are a number of factors to be considered, it is not a black-and-white issue as some would like to believe.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • btyson2003btyson2003 Member Posts: 1
    My wife drives a 93 Grand Caravan that been a great van, other than a needed transmission replacement. The van just broke 100,000 miles (she drive less than 10,000 miles per year) and is going strong. I hate to replace the van if while it's been so trouble free.
    Anyway, the door open chime recently stayed on even with all doors properly closed and I can't seem to figure how to get it to shut off. Can I remove a fuse or just cut the wire? With the van as old as it is, I hate to bring it to the dealer for this service. What's the best way to fix this??
    It is likely one of the door switches gone bad. If the design is similar to my 1996 Caravan, I had one of these switches on my driver side door go bad. It is literally a 5 minute job to remove one screw, take the switch off, pull off the wire connector and put it on the new switch and screw it back into place on the door frame.

All of the above applies to the 1996 generation, but assuming they carried over the door switch, it may be the same procedure.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Quiet in here; guess everyone's Caravan is running great.

Steve, Host
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    I have a 2002 Chrysler T&C LX (that would in earlier days wear the Plymouth Grand Voyager SE). Wonderful minivan except for the uncomfortable driver's seat that has insufficient lower back support for me.
         I would prefer a 2005 Odyssey EX but $28,510 is about twice what I paid a few months ago for my T&C that had less than 27,000 one-owner miles.
         Edmunds Town Hall information gave me the courage to buy another Chrysler product after my 1970 Dodge van was the worst vehicle I ever owned.
  • smmhcsmmhc Member Posts: 10
    Have a dead 94 base model caravan. Dead due to transmission. Had an aftermarket tranny put in at 125K which only lasted to 140K. Other than that I have had to replace 2 batteries, have had one brake job, 2 sets of shocks/struts, and 2 sets of tires. Overall I believe the swb with a few added options (tilt/cruise, 3.0 engine, sunscreen glass, a/c, pwr locks/mirrors, rack) had better reliablility that the lwb loaded with goodies that seem to give many problems. Have just bought an 04 swb again with a few options. Hopefully this one will last as long and with as few problems as the 94. Thanks
    I drove a base 4 banger '89 Voyager for ten years. I had 3 head gaskets (all under warranty) and too many o2 sensors go out. Otherwise it was pretty good.

Was your replacement tranny covered by a warranty? 15,000 miles on it is pretty bad.

Steve, Host
    And the '93 Taurus purchased after the '86 Caravan was sold had transmission failure at 135,000 miles. Taurus transmission failure rates exceed that of any other vehicle.
         Only complaint with 4 cyl '86 Caravan was lack of power. An '01 Camry replaced the '93 Taurus.
    DaimlerChrysler has a nasty habit of dropping models and entire lines. (Remember DeSoto, Imperial, and Plymouth?)

The model names within a brand change so often a person needs a computer to be able to list all the models dropped.
    hmmm, Daimler isn't even an option in the category list at the top of the page or on the New Cars pages. That could bite us one of these days, I suppose, but no one is searching for Mercedes-Benz either by hunting for DaimlerChrysler first.

Trying to keep up with all the current models, much less the retired names, is a real handful, and that's just in North America.

Steve, Host
    Clarification: My post was to ridicule Chrysler for now calling the former Plymouth Voyager a Chrysler Town & Country.

I am disgusted with DaimlerChrysler and Chrysler for dropping entire lines of vehicles and for changing the names on vehicles currently in production.

When they dropped Plymouth and placed the name Chrysler on former Plymouth vehicles they effectively downgraded the Chrysler label.

In the olden days, a Chrysler was a luxury car like Cadillac or Lincoln and a Plymouth was an entry level like Ford or Chevrolet. A Chrysler Town & Country used to considered a luxury minivan.

Does anyone now think of Chrysler as a luxury vehicle? Calling the former Plymouth Voyager a Chrysler T&C has many people thinking a Town & Country is no more luxurious than a Kia Sedona.
    Ah, well, that just falls under marketing to me. Maybe there's a North American Mercedes minivan in DC's future?

Steve, Host

(former owner of a Plymouth Voyager)
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Have you ever heard of LaSalle (GM) Oldsmobile or Edsel (Ford) ?
    YES...but Edsel never had the number of customers that Plymouth had.

Just as stupid for GM to drop Oldsmobile as for Chrysler to drop Plymouth. GM's decision was more heinous because GM created Saturn and then dropped Oldsmobile. LaSalle was before my time.
    My 2003 Chrysler Voyager LX is still as smooth and quiet as they day I bought it (knock wood). I have absolutely no complaints with the van and am making no plans to replace it. It's my third DC van after a 1993 Dodge Caravan SE and a 2001 Chrysler Voyager (base model). Very pleased. BTW, hansiena, FWIW, I have only been in a couple of Sedonas, but I would say my Voyager LX with Quad Captain's Chairs is more luxurious than a Sedona. And I'm not bashing the Sedona--I bought a new Sephia in 1995 and drove it for 6.5 trouble free years, so I'm not anti-Kia when I say that about the Sedona.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    We have a 2001 GC ES with about 55,000 miles on it. Anytime we hit even a modest bump, there is a very noticeable clunk coming from the front end.

I went under there today and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I also tried jacking on the tires to see if there is any looseness and didn't find anything.

Any ideas?
    I think we had the same problem. We have a 2001 GC EX with close to 55K. In Nov. we had the same problem. When going over bumps I could feel in the brake and accelerator paddle a slight vibration and heard the clunk. I checked all of the steering equipment too for any loose bolts or worn parts and found nothing. Took it in for the oil change and transmission flush and they replaced a part of the front suspension, I forgot the technical name but will post after looking at receipt. The ride is very smooth now, even over bumpy roads and very quite too.
    A Voyager is a nice vehicle but never had the "luxury" (or snob?) appeal of Town & Country just as Plymouth was never perceived to be an upscale sedan like Chrysler was for decades before the K cars were introduced.

When I looked at the 2002 Kia Sedona EX it appeared on the surface as luxurious and about the size of the 2002 Chrysler Voyager. However, a closer comparison showed that the Sedona EX lacked many of the nice features of the Chrysler Voyager.

I am very pleased with my 2002 Chrysler T&C LX but realize it is the re-incarnation of what was known for years as the Plymouth Grand Voyager SE. A 2000 Chrysler T&C LX was a MUCH nicer minivan than the 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE that sold as a Plymouth in late 1999 and was re-labeled the Chrysler Grand Voyager SE in January 2000.

None of the NEW 2005 Chrysler SWB T&C (that I have looked at)have a tachometer although the tachometer is standard on the Caravan SXT and not available on the Caravan SE.
    I agree with what you are saying. IMO, Chrysler's decision to: first, do away with the Plymouth name; and, then, second, to drop the Plymouth model names and turn them into versions of "Chrysler" versions was a bad decision all the way around. The "Town and Country" name was meant to separate them as being "nicer" than others of similar appearance. Now, with the old Voyager now called a Town and Country, I feel it is another step backward for the brand. I'm not saying that the vans are not good--I would not have bought 2 in the last 4 years if I thought that--I'm just saying that it takes the luster off the higher end vans when they have the same name as the low end vans.
    My local Dodge dealer is advertising a 2005 Caravan SXT with air, V6 and CD for $14,900. How can that be? A base model, maybe; but, don't SXT versions sticker around $22k? I wonder if it's a demo?
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    Did you read the fine print? Dealer loyalty, armed svcs., realtor among many "discounts"

You won't have to pay sticker, but probably about halfway between $15k and $22k
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    Did you ever get a chance to check out the service receipt? My wife is taking the van on a trip to see family and I was hoping to fix whatever it is before she goes.
    Aw man. I forgot to check the receipt. Thanks for reminding me. I will check it tonight and get back to you. (Got side tracked with Christmas)
    I'm sure it's some deal like that. They say "Price after all rebates." I'm sure that means with college grad, active duty military, senior citizen, whatever Chrysler Financial offers. They also have a Grand Caravan SXT with the 3.8 V6 and rear entertainment for $22,500 "after all rebates." I'm sure very few customers will qualify for all rebates.
    2005 Caravan SXT MSRP is $ 22,287 (including $665 Destination).

But, it is a very nicely equipped minivan with the 3.3L V6, 2nd row bucket seats, Dual-Zone temperature (driver and front passenger separate controls), cast wheels, and Speed Control.

The $1400 Option Group includes the complete overhead console with compass/outside temp and trip computer, 8 way power driver seat, 50/50 split folding rear seat, roof rack, and illuminated visor vanity mirrors for MSRP $23,685.

The Caravan SXT is a much nicer vehicle than the Chrysler SWB clone...and it is impossible to get exactly the same optional equipment on the 2.

The GC SXT is a less expensive clone of the Chrysler T&C Touring while the GC SE Plus is a clone of the T&C LX .

SXT in Caravan or Grand Caravan is THE BEST BUY in minivans although the Ody EX with a $3100 discount is a close 2nd to the GC SXT with a $1500 discount. A GC SE Plus with 8 way power seat and Equipment Group II costs almost as much as the GC SXT but lacks power sliding doors both sides, cast wheels, the 3.8L V6, and more nice features. No one would buy either a GC SE Plus or a T&C LX if they closely compared pricing on all DC models.
    My acquaintance bought a well equipped new 1999 GC SE in 1999 and got $4900 discount and rebates when the advertisement read "$6,000 Discount all Grand Caravans".

He did not get the recent college graduate or small business rebates that added up $1100 of the total $6,000 in the ad.

DaimlerChrysler advertising is very misleading.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    It has nothing to do with DC being misleading. In my Sunday paper there are "screamer" ads from dealerships that insult your intelligence, and other ads from dealers selling the same product, that are realistic with their prices and availability. (no bait and switch) Unfortunately, DC (and other makes) have no control on how their dealers sell and service the vehicles they manufacture, other than the useless 5-Star designation in Chrysler's case.
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    "I suspect that if you ask for the after rebate price at a Chrysler dealer, they'll figure out a way to get you the price whether you qualify for the rebates or not."

Steve, I am surprised and disappointed that a Host would post such a view. You should realize that rebates are disclosed to the consumer and to the manufacturer. Proof of qualification for rebates has to be included in the deal (i.e. a copy of degree for college grad program) &#150; for audit purposes. Negotiation on price is one thing &#150; suggesting illegalities to your readers is entirely another. Please consider deleting your post. Thanks.
    Not all rebates are disclosed to the consumer. We know about consumer rebates and often know about dealer cash. There's more going on between the manufacturer and the dealer that we don't know about (incentives for moving certain models, or for meeting a sales quota, bonus Caribbean cruises, etc.).

If the dealer sells a van to my neighbor after rebates for $20k, why should I buy the same van for $22k? I don't care if I'm not eligible for the listed rebates or incentives and I don't expect the dealer to try any shenanigans with the manufacturer, but I do care that I'm buying a car that's going to be worth less because the incentives have lowered the market value (now and in the future).

I don't think I suggested lying about being qualified for a specific incentive - there's nothing illegal about asking for the same price that the next person got. I just think there's room on the table for the dealer to give me the same deal as he gave the neighbor, even though I may not qualify for the posted incentives.

If the deal doesn't make financial sense for the dealer, they'll let me walk down the road to the next showroom.

Gotta add a link <g>:

Wall Street Journal

Steve, Host
    no Steve, you suggested that the dealership would lie for you if you walked out "once or twice".
    Well, I suppose you could read it that way. Not my intent though. I'm always harping on focusing on your out the door price and equated the after rebate price my neighbor got as being my out the door target.

Maybe Terry will stop in with the dealer's viewpoint and tell me I'm out to lunch. At which point Bobst can do his "tell them your number" spiel.

For info on other incentives that don't get a lot of press, check out the Rebates, Incentives, APRs - Questions & Comments discussion.

Steve, Host
    I'm sure very few customers will qualify for all rebates

Yes but people don't like paying more for the same item than the next person.

Even if you don't qualify for the offered rebates, my feeling is that you should still be able to negotiate a price that approaches the price another person may get with the rebates.

To me, if the dealer/manufacturer is offering a van for $4,000 under MSRP after rebates, then that's what the van is worth.

Sales, meanwhile, must be ok:

" The Chrysler side of DaimlerChrysler ... is expected to continue its string of seven straight months of stronger results, some analysts said"

Reuters

Steve, Host
    Good summary. I would be very upset if I had purchased a new vehicle for $23,999 and then my neighbor got an identically equiped vehicle for $19,999.

Ford, GM, and Chrysler have been the worst offenders for having rebates to move vehicles. The consumer has benefitted greatly by Edmunds publishing the information on wholesale, retail, rebates, and incentives to dealers on new vehicles.
    we have a retailer here whose slogan is 'an educated consumer is our best customer'. Nobody wants to feel like they got robbed, but some people will always make a purchase w/o research. I'll bet that none of the readers here will pay more than their proverbial neighbor for the identical car. It will likely be the other way around - and, as long as the neighbor felt like they got a good deal they don't have much to complain about. The onus is always on the consumer to be educated/prepared.
    It was the 1) Front link, sway bar; 2) Link-sway eliminator; 3) Bushing-sway eliminator and 4) Cushion, front sway bar that needed to be replaced. Cost $173.12 in parts. Our mileage was 52K. Hope this helps.
  • paulnpauln Member Posts: 1
    In 2001 we bought a new Grand Caravan ES with with all the bells and whistles. What we've found out is that the quality of the bells and whistles is pretty poor. So far with only 68K miles we've had to replace a power window motor for $250 and a whole power seat assembly. for $465. Note the power seat assembly is all one part with 3 motors and all the operating hardware. Our power seat motors were fine, but something was jammed causing the seat to only move 2 notches. The dealer says they can only replace the whole thing.

When I communicated with Dodge they sent a kiss off letter. Both things occurred just after warranty. I kept the seat assembly to find out what really went wrong and to remind me to avoid Chrysler products in the future.

Buyer beware.
    Excellent post. That is why I have avoided power windows, power seats, NAV, etc. as long as I could.

Same with high tech OHC engines.