Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    Thanks. It goes in tomorrow so we'll see what the mechanic says. They are very competent and most of all, honest, so if they say something needs to be replaced, I believe them.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    I know what you mean. We bought our 2001 GC EX in Sep. 2003. In a few days after purchase, both front power windows regulators went. It only cost us $100 since we purchased the MaxiumCare Warranty. I can't really comment on this to much since we are not the original owners, but I will be able to in five or so years from now. All other bells and whistles still work. As far as your power seat is concerned, make sure to not put anything under the seat in the future, since this can cause a problem. We have a 98 Pontiac Sunfire with no power anything. (My wife is the primary driver) The front passengers seat could no longer be moved forward or backwards. After looking underneath the seat, I found a bunch of stuff my Wife had placed there that interfered with the cable/spring mechanism that allowed you to adjust the seat forward and backwards. I fixed it, but only after three different tries. I prefer to have power and manual. But I know that with certain things, you can't have both power and manual for that item if it brakes.
    Ours wound up being the sway bar links and the sway bar bushings. The mechanic said that he is seeing a lot of these on the 1996+ Caravans. Since ours spends the summers in rural Maine on what could barely be called roads in most areas of the country, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that these parts wore out. The total for parts and labor was $198.

He also showed me where the front rotors were starting to spall and flake off. He said that as a general rule, the Chrysler rotors aren't even worth trying to turn and that for no more than they cost(get what you pay for?), you just replace them.
    I'm glad you got your van fixed. You bring up a good point about what kind of roads you drive on. We live in Chicago and for the most part the roads are decent. But Chicago has it's share of pot holes and rough roads from the different weather conditions all year around.
  • jtheronjtheron Member Posts: 24
    When we bought our 2004 T&C van we received about $12,000 off of a $36,000 MSRP van. We saw all kinds of incentives or discounts or bonuses advertised for loyalty and conquest and farm bureau and military and college grad and mail certificate and national and TDM (whatever that is)and trade-in allowance and such, but the dealer didn't ask us what rebates applied and didn't seem to care which ones we may have qualified for or not.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I just noticed the other day ( I've had it almost two weeks now) that the face on the AM/FM radio, CD/cassett, not only tells you the station it's on, but also the song being played and the person singing it.

I have a 2004 Honda Civic and had a 2001 Dodge P/U and they never did that. Is this something new they just came out with, or is it that I just have a better radio in this van?
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Its called RDS. It's been around for a few years now. My 2003 Chrysler has it. It only shows up on stations that transmit such information. I used to live in metro Atlanta and almost all radio stations there broadcast the name of the station along with the name of the artist and title of the song. I moved down to Columbus, GA (100 mi southwest of Atlanta on the AL state line) last Spring and none of the stations here do it. It is a neat feature.
    It is a neat feature. I usually listen to talk radio on AM as the speakers were not all that great on the truck and Civic for music. But the six speakers on the mini van are very nice, so I have been listening to music much more. Wonder what it would sound like with the eight speakers instead of the six I have now?

I have noticed radios don't sound half as nice as they use to, since they took the speakers out of the dash and put them all in the doors, on the two and four speaker systems. I think they sound much better in the dash and on the rear deck then in the doors.
    My '03 has 2 speakers on the dash--have they been removed for 2005?
  • obrien040362obrien040362 Member Posts: 134
    when do the 2006 get released
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    I am completely satisfied with the sound quality of the standard 6 speaker sound system in my 2002 T&C LX.

Compared to my son's 2001 Ody EX sound system, my T&C LX sound system sounds like a concert hall.
    It does sound nice. I went out to look at the wife's Honda Civic. The two back speakers are on the rear deck where they should be. The front ones are in the doors. None on the dash where I like them.
    Does anyone know just how the over head computer should work as far as telling you what the van is getting in MPG?

Drivng strickly freeway to my daughter's house, about 25 miles away. On the way there, the computer said the van was getting up to 31.1 MPG. It got up to that in about 5 miles or less.

I reset it on the way back and it finally got up to 24.1 by the time I was leaving the freeway. Now the road is pretty flat so it wasn't like I was doing more climbing one way and not the other.

I doubt very much if I was getting 31 MPG, but I also wonder why it took almost 25 miles to show I was getting 24.1 It climbed very slowly. I used the cruise control both times at 60 MPH.

Is there something I should have done, the owner's manual does not explain it too well.
    There's nothing that you did or didn't do correctly. The reading is what it is. You could have been going with the wind during the first set of readings and against on the way back. The 6 mpg difference between the two could easily have been explained by the wind.

You can also double check by advancing to the instantaneous readout(I believe it is labeled "eco")..
    I'm taking my 2003 Voyager LX (with the 3.3l V6) in for service and to get the power steering fluid line checked for a recall. They say the hose can leak and cause an engine fire. Has anyone heard of this happening? It seems to me that when the CR-Vs were catching fire after their first oil change, it made the news. When the Sienna engines were catching fire, it made the news. I have not heard about the DC vans catching fire. It must be more of a precaution than a reaction. Has anyone else had theirs checked out?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Twenty-three fires have been reported in recent months in the minivans, mostly in Canada, but none have led to injuries or accidents." Apparently the hose doesn't like cold weather.

Chrysler recalls minivans, pickups (Autonet)

Steve, Host
    I guess I was out of the news loop when this was going on. Maybe cold weather has something to do with it. It does not get real cold here in Georgia.
    There were actually 2 power steering hose recalls. One for upper hose and another for lower hose.

I just ignored the recall until it was time for an oil and oil filter change and had them all done at the same time.
    I wonder if they replaced them both, or just one? I'll need to follow up.
  • pappy1pappy1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2005 Caravan SXT and cannot locate the AC cabin filter, reportedly located under the passenger side dash area. Does anyone have experience with this? Pappy 1
  • bcolemanbcoleman Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a used 2004 Grand Caravan and had it to the dealer today to fix a few problems...sway bar bushings were bad, which apparently (by reading some posts) is a common problem. Actually though, my question is concerning the bulbs that should illuminate (or so I thought) the head lamp switch and the control for the side-view mirrors. The dealer told me that there is NOT a bulb that illuminates those controls...which I find pretty odd, considering every other control lights up?? Can anyone please confirm this for me? Thank you ...
    "Actually though, my question is concerning the bulbs that should illuminate (or so I thought) the head lamp switch and the control for the side-view mirrors. The dealer told me that there is NOT a bulb that illuminates those controls...which I find pretty odd, considering every other control lights up?? Can anyone please confirm this for me? Thank you ... "

I have a 2005 Dodge GC and none of those switches light up either. As a matter of fact, only the driver's window switch is lighted. The other three window switches are not.
  • dymusdymus Member Posts: 1
    Does 2001 Grand Caravan Sport AWD have 3.3 V6 or it always comes with 3.8 V6 only? Or is there an option?

Does that compilation exist at all? - I mean 3.3 +AWD

Thanks,

the question may seem a bit strange but I'm not in US
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    You almost have to lay on the floor to look up under the glove box to see a plastic cover, held in place by a sliding clamp/clip. It's not that large, because the (large) filter installs vertically up into the dash. It's hard to explain, but easy to do.
    that have bought used Dodge/Chrysler vans with no owner's manual. I came across this site at Chrysler. Seems like you maybe able to get one from the factory. Might also be able to get some tech answers to your problems.Check it out.

https://techauthority.gltghosting.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/C- - ustomerHome?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10051
  • huskerdoo1huskerdoo1 Member Posts: 13
    Hi, has anyone had this problem with their 2000 or newer Grand Caravan. I have had the transmission not lock into the drive position 2 x now. Once at a stop sign, I just tried to start moving again and the vehicle didn't go anywhere. I checked to see if it was in drive and it felt as if it was not or would not lock into place. My wife was backing out of the drive-way and she could not get it into drive. Both times resulted in eventual placement into drive after a few attempts. The only other issue is a leaky master cylinder, of which the dealer said was not uncommon and should need to be replaced. Any problems or advice here? Linkage or trainy problem, 51,000 miles scheduled for a trainy service this Friday the 11th.
  • dave26dave26 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Caravan with a rated tow capacity of 1800 (no tow package). Is it ok to use this vehicle to tow a trailer that weighs 3000 for short distances or will I stress the frame too much.

Thanks

Dave
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    I think you answered your own question. 3000 lbs without the tow package is asking for trouble.
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    It's not just about the frame. It's about the tires, axel, brakes, etc. Most importantly to you, if you get into some sort of accident while you are driving with a trailer that exceeds the maximum capacity, you will be at fault. Even in short distances, there are stop sign in your neighborhood and children that could jump out into your way. It's REALLY a bad idea.
    That was one of those cost cutting deals Chrysler did a few years ago. They have taken many little things off over the years. I had a 2001 Voyager that I traded for a new 2003 Voyager LX and I found several things that my 2001 had that my 2003 did not have. Others did the same. BTW, I bought a 2005 Saturn VUE last month and the switches for the windows and seat warmers light up at night! We were very happy to have that!
  • joe34joe34 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan (3.3 liter, no towing package) that I used to tow my 10 foot pop-up camper around to various Wisconsin campgrounds.

We're going to Yellowstone park this summer, and I'm not confident about my van's ability to handle the trip while towing the pop-up.

What are my options? Can I get a towing package installed? How much would it cost?
    From what I remember you would need the bigger 3.8L engine, 160 amp alternator, transmission cooler, heavy duty radiator and the 600 CCA battery.
  • soccerhorsesoccerhorse Member Posts: 10
    Beware of expensive repairs to your 96-01 Dodge Caravan power windows. My drivers door power window motor quit working. The dealer with a straight face quoted me $360 to replace the motor. The parts dept quoted $192 for the motor with regulator (can't just buy the motor alone) anyway, after unsuccessfully trying to get the old regulator and motor out, I took off the motor case and sprayed QRC contact cleaner (available at auto parts stores) and guess what - all that built up black gunk was gone and the power window worked again. Amazing what a little tinkering will do! I am sure Chrysler doesn't offer this type of repair! Or want folks to start tinkering on their own. Hope this helps others.
    How difficult is it to access the motor? What has to be removed? How long did it take you to do the repair?
    My driver's power door window sometimes does not work. It will work once in awhile by just flipping the switch a few times and if not, just open and slam the door and it works.
    Did yours have this symptom before it just quit working?
    Yes - you have the same symptoms as described by my wife. Basically the contacts in the motor or brushes are all gunked up with black [non-permissible content removed]. To get the panel off, do the following: remove 2 screws holding the window switches in place, unhook the switches and remove it. Note: 1 screw is behind cover about size of a dime, remove screw by handle you grab when you close the door, remove 2 long screws under the map side pocket, then all that is holding the door on is the plastic tabs which will break off and cost $2.25 to replace (takes 5). Then remove the door handle and the courtesy lamp swithch and now you have access to the motor.

Next to clean the motor, remove the cover motor (about 2"x4" black vertical case)with a phillips screw driver and then I sprayed contact cleaner on the whole setup. I also pulled the motor up so I could spray the part that the 2 brushes are touching and to make sure the brushes are clean. I also sprayed the inside of the case to clean it out. QRC contact cleaner works great.

It should take you no time at all to do as you now know the secret. You can probably do it in less than an hour. Basically when you slam the door, the motor is now making contact with the brushes and it temporarily works again. It seems like a poor design as the motor is housed vertically pooling all the black gunk on the brushes which are located at the bottom of the setup.

Hope this helps and keeps $360 in your pocket.
    Enjoy!
    THANKS...My 2002 T&C LX is a clone of the 01-04 GC Sport and they are not much changed from the 96-00 GC SE or GV SE.
    I have copied your information for reference when the weather stays nice and warmer here in the Rocky Mountains where it can be nice one day but cold the next.
  • terrymterrym Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Caravan has a brack in the front brake rotor(disc) Mechanic says: 10% left on disc.
    Also own 1988 Dodge Aries with new brakes on front.
    Question: Can I use the new discs, rotors, pads etc from the 88 Aries on the 95 Caravan?
    We're travelling to California Friday and do't want to risk brake failure. Thanks for your help.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Wouldn't do it, Aries is much lighter than Caravan. Even if parts fit, rotors from Aries are likely designed for the lighter car and would likely be stressed from stopping the Caravan and would likely overheat and warp.
  • chromedougchromedoug Member Posts: 1
    I didn't receive an Owner's manual with my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan & I need to know how to set the radio preset buttons. Does anyone know how PLEASE??
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Well, if it's like my 1996, you just tune to the station you want, then press and hold the button down until it displays that same frequency and it is set.
  • djmcl05djmcl05 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for these tips. We recently bought an 01 Dodge Caravan and first the passenger power window stopped going up or down at all.
    The drivers side goes down fine but will not go up. I actually just tried slamming the door, and it went up a little. It seems after the car is off for a few minutes, and then the power is turned back on it goes up a little bit. Then we try the same process. Turn the car off, then wait a while and try again. Do you think I should try cleaning the brushes as you suggest.
  • ntbillntbill Member Posts: 20
    I have a Dodge Caravan 2005, instructions for the radio where in the owner manual (of the van). They explain all the models you can find in a Caravan 2005. If you don't find those instructions in your owner manual (maybe they were not putting then in the owner manual in 2003), here's how I program my radio:

I press on button "Set", then I press on a number (1-5).

Hope this helps you.
    DJMC105,
    I do recommend trying the QRC contact cleaner first. Actually, try this, use jumper cables to get power to your door. Do this carefully, so the two ends don't touch(wrap one end in a ball glove with duct tape so the two ends can't touch each other) Then take another wire with an alligator clip on each end to make the final connection. Use the two wires from each contact (+ and -) and just touch it to the two contacts on the power motor. This bypasses the door switch and tells you if it is the motor. If the motor does not work, then it is the motor. I then removed the black case and sprayed the contact cleaner all over the motor and pulled the motor up so as to get the brushes clean too. Then my motor worked. If you just pull into your dealer and tell him a power window quit working you will pick your van up later after spending $360 or $720 for both front doors. Quite a pricy repair when all I really needed was to remove the door panel, power window motor case and spray in some contact cleaner.
    Hope this helps,
    SoccerHorse
  • qc1qc1 Member Posts: 1
    A 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan equipped with an electric Driver's seat. Only 66000 k. The seat rail is completely rusted .

1) Is this a common problem?
    2) What is the best solution: a) replace by a new rail or b) try to fix it, or c) any other valid proposition.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
  • kat8kat8 Member Posts: 1
    Do I HAVE to replace the AC compressor in my 1997 van or can I bypass the compressor with a shorter serpintine belt. don't want to spend to much on this as it has 150K miles.
    ANd this is happening right now up in Mammoth Lakes where they want to charge me 2-3 times the amount in L.A. Son needs to get down the hill safely. Please advise.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    This question is probably beyond what most owners can answer, so I'd suggest you visit our Maintenance & Repair forum. You might try posting in our Technical Questions discussion to see if any of the expert members who hang out there can advise you.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kwagner88kwagner88 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2003 Caravan and one thing I wish I had with is is the drawn that fits under the passenger's seat. There are screw holes that I assume are for this drawer, so I figure that I can install it myself. However, I can't seem to locate one at any of the online accessory dealers. Do any of you know where I may find this? THANKS! (this would really help clear out my glove compartment!)
  • ntbillntbill Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan SE. When I open a sliding door, hazard lights flash for about 10 seconds. Is there a way to deactivate this feature?
    I have a 2003 Caravan and one thing I wish I had with is is the drawn that fits under the passenger's seat. There are screw holes that I assume are for this drawer, so I figure that I can install it myself. However, I can't seem to locate one at any of the online accessory dealers. Do any of you know where I may find this? THANKS! (this would really help clear out my glove compartment!)

If it were me, I would go to a salvage yard and get one. That should be one piece not damaged in a wreck. :sick: