Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• cooksiecooksie Member Posts: 13
    I actually drove 2 of the EX without leather. First one had not been checked before places on the lot so the salesman said that the tire pressure may have been overinflated for delivery. I went back the next day and drove a different one and it did feel a bit better, but still much rougher than the V6.... I don't know why leather would make a difference either, but thought maybe with the leather package there was more padding or insulation or something. I will see what I can find out tomorrow and hopefully drive an EX-L. Thanks.
  • richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    My car (EX-L AT 4 cyl. sedan) seemed to ride harder when it was new and, indeed, the tires were over-inflated by a couple of pounds. The car rides a bit smoother now after 8.5 months. Tires lose pressure slowly and they're properly inflated now, I think.

Also, tires have a break-in period as do other moving parts, and after a couple of thousand miles, the car's ride will soften a bit--the firm ride is preferable to the floaty ride of the Camry I tested, so I like the way the Accord rides.

If you get the EX with leather (EX-L) there is more than just the leather to consider: standard side curtain airbags (an absolute must!!!!!!) and the superb, power driver's seat, XM radio, and automatic climate control--all desirable features that are part of the leather package. Go for it!.....Richard
    I actually drove 2 of the EX without leather. First one had not been checked before places on the lot so the salesman said that the tire pressure may have been overinflated for delivery. I went back the next day and drove a different one and it did feel a bit better, but still much rougher than the V6.... I don't know why leather would make a difference either, but thought maybe with the leather package there was more padding or insulation or something. I will see what I can find out tomorrow and hopefully drive an EX-L. Thanks.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    thanks, glad to be around still..
  • whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    I don't know why the dealer says you can't switch back and forth between synth and dino oils. The industry already markets mixes of the two. I like synthetics, but I also use the longer change intervals. If I were going with 3-4K miles I would use the dino type. I've switched back and forth several times with different vehicles. All the cars run good and don't use oil.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i have the EX V6, but i also test drove the EX-L. the EX-L was far from rough, but it is an inline 4 cylinder. only so much can be done about that. i thought it was smooth though. of course, in my V6 i barely press the gas and i am at a smooth 60mph in seconds. the four cylinder just needed a little more prodding. perhaps you are hearing more noise in the 4 cylinder, and that gives the impression that it isn't "smooth"? there really isn't a "rough" Honda engine out there...
  • whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    I have a '98 Accord 4 cyl (manual trans) and an '03 6 cyl. The 4 cyl. gets better as time goes on. It is louder when accellerating to highway speeds than the 6 but cruises just as well. It will take more time to get to speed but is just as solid when at speed. For a 4 cyl. it is really quite smooth and powerful. After several minutes of driving, the engine in the 4 cyl has a smooth idle. Mine is usually smooth from starup with 77K miles on it. You will see the engine in the 4 working harder at 90 mph than the 6 does, but the 4 does not seem to falter at all.
    Ok, I drove the EX L today. LOVE it. It is not 'rough' at all. I dont know what the difference is, although the salesman said there is probably a bit more insulation in the leather package... It was wonderful. I will probably buy it :)
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    2003 Accord EX-L (Manual Transmission)
    7300 miles on odo

Going to Destination (300+ miles)
    30% stop & go city
    70% highway at 80+ mph
    Average MPG = 30

Coming from Destination (300+Miles)
    100% highway at 85+mph
    Average MPG = 32

Both directions had 300+ lbs of passengers and 100+ lbs of luggage.

This car performs flawlessly at highway speeds.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter is looking for someone who has financed a new car for longer than 60 months and is still paying for it. Please send your daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, May 19, 2004.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    For a Toyota Highlander. We looked at the Pilot, but it was a bit more than what we needed and could afford, gets much better gas mileage too. So I won't be browsing the Accord fora much, but I'll stop by once in awhile. Thx to everyone here.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    How has the mileage on the 4 cyl been, anything close to 24/34 ?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    So far with 16,500 miles on the odometer we are averaging 31 MPG with our Accord. No highway trips yet and we don't really do alot of stop and go for any extended period of time.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    you have had your accord for a while now, but it's still sort of a shock for me to read your positive comments on the car.
  • rcc8179rcc8179 Member Posts: 131
    My 2003 4-cyl Accord has 35k miles now and has averaged 29+ mpg since new. On the long (500+ miles) highway trips I have taken, I have gotten 35, 33, 31, and 35 mpg. My best tank was 37 mpg.
    In a 500 mile trip last December (San Francisco to Palm Springs) my 4 cyl EX-L sedan with AT averaged 33.2 MPG during highway-only driving and 22.6 in and around Palm Springs.

The car had under 2000 miles on it at the time, so mileage is likely to improve as the car breaks in.

I'm pleased by the excellent mileage considering that the Accord is a 3200 pound car with plenty of power........Richard
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Wake up everyone, the Accord rides rough. I know this upsets the die-hard Accord owners and dealers on this forum. But I would like to inform future Accord owners that reducing the tire pressure has a minimal effect on the overall ride. A lot of future owners visit this site before buying a car. When I bought my Accord in Oct '03 the tires were 32psi.

Has anyone read the latest issue of C&D? The Honda Odyssey took first place, however, one of the complaints was the rough "sporty" ride. This is usually the only complaint Honda ever gets about their cars. Why wont they listen to the consumer and work on the ride quality.
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    "Why wont they listen to the consumer and work on the ride quality."

For one, many consumers don't automatically equate a "firm and sporty" ride with a "rough" ride. There is definitely a difference. Second, because the car that provides this soft ride that you clearly treasure so much already exists. It's called the Camry. A softer ride is part of the Camry's personality. A firmer, sportier ride is part of the Accord's personality. Some people prefer one, some prefer the other. Leave a choice out there for those of us who don't want the soft ride.

As for me, I don't want a car that rides like a Camry... I prefer the firmer, more controlled ride provided by the Accord. I'm sure that many Accord owners agree with me. I strongly disagree with your suggestion that Honda is failing to "listen to the consumer"... they probably are, but Honda's target consumer doesn't want a softer ride.

Your statement doesn't "upset" the die-hard Accord fans... we simply don't agree with your assessment. Keep in mind that the "standard of excellence" for ride differs widely depending on your preferences. That's why there are so many cars on the market, with so many different levels of suspension tuning for ride and handling. And personally, I don't want to sacrifice what I consider a near perfect ride on the Accord to satisfy someone who's looking for a soft ride in all the wrong places. ;) Other choices are available that should meet your standards for a softer ride.

And finally, if the Accord's ride is SO rough, why is it given the same score for ride as the softer riding Camry by those mavens of automotive comfort, Consumer Reports? They do mention that the Accord's ride is firmer, but they don't consider that to be a disadvantage. They use words like "absorbent" and "supple" to describe the ride... these are hardly words that indicate a rough ride.

So the Accord may have a "rough" ride based on your standards, but many other consumers have different standards than you do.
    ya lost me there. what do you mean?
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    "A firmer, sportier ride is part of the Accord's personality."

I agree and like the sportiness of the Accord, however, Honda sacrifices the cars ability to handle potholes, expansion joints, etc. The Accord's suspension cannot handle Eastern Pennsylvania's rough roads (potholes)from harsh winters & salt. My Accord is awesome on freshly paved highways, very quiet and excellent handling. Take the car through the city where roads are in poor shape and you'll see. I guess if you live in a warm climate with smooth roads than the choppy ride is a moot point.

"Second, because the car that provides this soft ride that you clearly treasure so much already exists. It's called the Camry."

Contrary to what you think, I prefer the Accord's styling, 240HP V6, and interior over the Camry. I am not interested in a pillowy soft ride...just a car that can absorb rumble strips, grooves in the road, etc. The Accord is a great car overall but for every day usage & 4 hour trips the ride needs to be more accomodating.

"That's why there are so many cars on the market, with so many different levels of suspension tuning for ride and handling."

I disagree. For under 25k, the Accord is the only sedan option out there with an excellent reliability record & resale value.
    "I guess if you live in a warm climate with smooth roads than the choppy ride is a moot point."

You assume incorrectly, my friend. I hail from Wisconsin, with harsh winters and potholes galore. I live in the Milwaukee area and work in Milwaukee, as well as having friends and relatives there, so I have plenty of city experience. And based on this experience, I continue to stand by my earlier comments. Again, our difference are a matter of our perceptions. Im my opinion, my Accord is fine for everyday use and for 4 hour trips.

Again, I think the results from Consumer Reports speak volumes. They even specifically praise the Accord's ride on bumpy roads. What you call a rough ride is not viewed that way by me (again, NOT from a warm climate with smooth roads) nor by those testers who tend to favor ride.

"I disagree. For under 25k, the Accord is the only sedan option out there with an excellent reliability record & resale value."

Well, there are few cars that are perfect for everyone... every car presents some compromises based on your preferences. I guess you've found the Accord's compromises for you.

Sorry that I don't agree with you, but I simply don't. That's the bottom line.
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    You said that "reducing the tire pressure has a minimal effect on the overall ride". So let me share my experience with you.

Honda recommends 26psiF/26psiR for my 89 Accord. I tried to increase the pressure to 30psi to see if I can get a better gas milage out of it. The first thing I noticed right away was the ride was rough and stiff. So I keep 26F/26R for now.

Honda recommends 32psiF/30psiR for my 03EXV6. I keep it that way.
    The other day when the outside temp soared to 90F, I noticed the ride a bit rougher than normal on a 50 mile trip. I checked the front tire pressure. It was 38 psi on both tires. The heat increased the pressure by 6 psi. That's probably why I felt the ride rougher.
    I am experimenting 30F/30R for the hot months.
    While I admit the Accord has a firm ride for a family sedan I don't think it is absurdly rough. Although we also have a 03 Civic SI with 17" wheels and Eibachs and a 04 Odyssey so obviously we prefer a firmer riding vehicle to start with.

Someone who feels the Accord is just "a bit firm" might find they like it more with a slight adjustment of the tire pressure. However, you are correct when you say someone who wants a softer ride will not be happy with the Accord even if they do check/adjust the tire pressure.
    BUT, what Accord owner can complain? the easiest way to prevent not being happy with the Accord ride is to test drive BEFORE you buy it.

not sure why Honda should change its designs to meet NON-Honda buyers....does that make good business sense?
  • accord7accord7 Member Posts: 96
    Why is it that Honda does not, or cannot fix their headliner problems? My 1990 Accord rattled constantly in the moonroof area. My brothers Accords (1995 and 1999) rattle on a regular basis in the headliner and moonroof area. Many posters are complaining about this problem in the 03 and 04 Accord. I say again, why is it that Honda can't solve this problem? They carry it forward with each new generation. I figure they either don't care, or it's above their engineers capabilities.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    We've owned 6 Accords total ranging from 1990 to 2004. No headliner rattles.
    it has something to do with sunroofs. my 97 Civic had no sunroof, and no headliner rattle. my 01 Civic rattled, and my 03 Accord does too.

the dealer fixed my Civic though. i haven't had the Accord in to the shop for rattles yet, that is why i was hoping to see a TSB i could take TO THEM so they can't act all stupid like service departments often do with regard to rattles.
    i'm referring to the good ole days when we were both driving our jettas. i remember reading some not too flattering comments about accords. sorry for not being clear.
    go to the problem boards, i still rant about my issues with Accords.

but yes, when i was driving a Jetta, the Accords that were out (98-02) were, in my opinion, overpriced Corollas from the outside and overpriced Civics on the inside.

that changed in 03 when they gave it some STYLE :)

i just drove the Accord about 50 miles this morning. coming from my Miata, it is FAST! (i have the V6)
    agreed - i could never bring myself to get an accord sedan from that generation. i did get a coupe though.
    I still miss looking at my 2001 Accord EX V6 coupe in Nighthawk Black with a set of 17" Konig Tantrums on it. Still kinda miss looking at my 03 Accord EX-L coupe in Nighthawk Black with spoiler, fog lights, body-side molding, and tinted windows too.

But I have faith that once I get around to tinting my windows and I find a suitable set of 17" wheels for my Satin Silver 04 sedan (fog lights, front chin spoiler, and rear decklid spoiler) I will enjoy looking at it just as much.
  • cottongincottongin Member Posts: 10
    I'm trying to decide between an Accord and a Camry. The Toyota dealer told me that the Accords need Valve Adjustments every 7,500 miles. He said the maintenance issues on the Accords is much higher than on the Camrys. True?? We're going to be buying a car by Memorial Day. Please help.
    I just checked my 2003 owners manual and the maintenance item "inspect valve clearance" is recommended as follows:

4-cylinder - 110,000 miles
    6-cylinder - 105,000 miles

This is for both the normal and severe schedules... it's one item that doesn't change. And that's the only recommended maintenance item for valves.

There are probably minor differences here and there, but I believe it's safe to say that the Camry and Accord are in the same general area regarding maintenance intervals and costs.

I guess my bigger concern would be... if the dealer is lying to you about this, what else is he lying to you about? Or if he's not "lying" but just misinformed, what else is he misinformed about?

It's hard to go wrong with either car. However, if you decide to go with a Camry, I might consider a different dealer if I were you.
    Both Accord and Camry are low-maintenance cars. Note that the Accord 4 cyl. has a timing chain not a belt that must be replaced at some point.

In choosing between the Accord and Camry, the biggest issue will be the ride--these cars are quite different (LX or EX Accord vs LE Camry). The Camry is very soft-riding and the Accord is much firmer.

I prefer a tighter ride, so bought the Accord. But if you like a floaty ride, go with the Camry........Richard
  • slawendaslawenda Member Posts: 101
    Has anyone actually purchased/installed the optional metal trim for their Accord interior? I can only find one picture of it on the internet, and unfortunately the only picture is on an otherwise beige interior--a poor combination in my opinion. I was wondering what it would look like with the black interior, especially the EX models. If anyone has it or especially if you have a picture of it, please share your comments and/or photos! Thanks.
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    if you are interested in preventing the rise in pressure due to heat, consider checking local tire shops for a Nitrogen Filler. Costs here for me was $10. Benefits are no rise in pressure due to heat and pressure loss over time....pretty much non-existant.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    This was discussed in tires, tires, tires and the nitrogen, like other gases, has an expansion following Boyle's (?) Law. Since the air you already have in your tire is 78% Nitrogen, I can't see how it could have no expansion nor can I see any advantage to paying to have nitrogen put into your tire. Also since they probably don't suction down the air in the tire after it's installed on the wheel to a vacuum, there's air already in the tire/wheel assembly. They just add nitrogen only after that, leaving the oxygen and CO2 and other minor gases in there.

I'll have to check my chem books on this one. We have a local (Cincy) tire francise touting nitrogen for the cars. They wore out advertising free alignment so they switched to free nitrogen,but only for customers.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Is it true that the front air bag on the passenger side will auto turn off if there the person in the front does not weigh enough? There isn't a manual switch, correct? I have an 11 yr old child (86lbs) and I'm wondering how this will work with him if he happens to be riding in the front.
  • ebart1ebart1 Member Posts: 12
    I insisted that the silver-coloured 'metal trim' be installed in my silver/black cloth interior '03 LX-4 Accord as it offers a great contrast to the all-black interior---and complements the exterior silver just fine.
    Sorry---I don't have a photo to submit. And yes, I recommend this accessory; it is a dealer-installed feature---at a price. However I negotiated mine as a 'loyalty-discount'---having bought a '95 Civic from the same dealer---as well as having had my car serviced exclusively by the same dealer. Best of luck.
  • ken972ken972 Member Posts: 162
    Yes you are correct. The owners manual talks a little about it. There is a sensor in the seat that will turn the passenger side off when it senses someone who is small or not sitting correctly. The light comes on right away when it happens to me.
    when i was looking at Accords (03 models), they came standard with either faux-metal (black and gray interiors) or faux-wood (ivory interior). is that not standard anymore?
  • ironmanterpironmanterp Member Posts: 57
    My suggestion would be for you to take advantage of Edmunds wonderful Total Cost to Own (affectionately known as TCO) feature. TCO is Edmunds analysis of ownership costs over the first 5 years of ownership. You can access it by going to the New Car section, pick out the Toyota and Honda model you are interested in, and clicking on TCO on the left. You will find a quick breakdown and explanation of the factors Edmunds analyzed, which include maintenance and repairs.

Good luck!
    Is it true that the front air bag on the passenger side will auto turn off if there the person in the front does not weigh enough? There isn't a manual switch, correct? I have an 11 yr old child (86lbs) and I'm wondering how this will work with him if he happens to be riding in the front.
    "Yes you are correct. The owners manual talks a little about it. There is a sensor in the seat that will turn the passenger side off when it senses someone who is small or not sitting correctly. The light comes on right away when it happens to me."

I think this applies only to the passenger's side air bag. I don't believe that the front air bag on the passenger side turns off, although being dual stage, it can sense a smaller person and/or a lower speed crash and deploy at a reduced setting.

So I'd just make sure that your son is properly belted at all times, and the front air bags should adjust accordingly in the hopefully unlikely event of a crash.
  • abpelch1abpelch1 Member Posts: 48
    LX & DX Accords do not come with the faux-metal or faux-wood trim. The trim on those models are black.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    I bought an 04 EX-l 2 weeeks ago, with the metal trim interior. I actually think it is polished alluminum. I like the look alot, it is very clean, my wife loves it. Don't have any pics, but I'd be supprised if your local dealer doesn't have one on the lot.
  • browningmbrowningm Member Posts: 6
    There are two sensors sensing different things. The first senses weight. If whatever in the seat is light enough, the airbag off in the center of the dash turns on and the passenger airbag turns off. If the seats occupant is leaning to the right in the path of the side airbag, then a light in the gauge cluster turns on saying the side airbag is off. So... both airbags have sensors and turn on and off automatically.
    Thanks for those of you who replied about the metal trim. As a follow-up, do you know if the trim is "removable", if for some reason you are not happy with it (or are you stuck with it)? I know it is applied by some fancy 3M tape/adhesive, and I imagine there must be a way to remove it? Also, for "catam" -- what color interior is your car? Anyone else who would like to comment on the metal trim--I would appreciate it. And if anyone has any pictures of it, please share! Thanks.
    I forgot to add--for those of you who paid for the metal trim, how much did you pay for it? Thanks.