Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• edhopperedhopper Member Posts: 7
    I'm in the market for a used minivan. After doing some research I think a 2002-2003 Dodge Caravan is the way to go. It seems to offer the best value for the money. (The Honda is suppose to be better, but way more $ and the T & C is nice but just seems to be an upgraded Caravan)
    It looks like I can get one in good shape with reasonable mileage for $7000 to $9000.
    Here is my question. I'm a bit confused looking at the different model info on the web. I would like a Caravan with the shorter wheelbase (89in I think) with the 6valve engine. So what model am I looking for. I only know I don't want the Grand Caravan.
    Also if anyone wants to link to any specific posts about buying a used Caravan, it would be appreciated. Thanks
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    The Caravan is the SWB model. Most have the 3.3 six cylinder engine. I believe the 2003 came with a 7 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    We have two Grand Caravans, a 1998 and a 2003, both with the 3.8 liter mill. The 1998 will flip over 111,111 miles tomorrow and the 2003 is sitting right about 62,500 miles. Since your question is regarding the 2002 and later models, I'll hit that one. To date, the unscheduled maintenance has consisted of the battery (replaced with a DieHard) and one ABS wheel sensor (replaced by the dealer, post warranty, for about $220). As far as scheduled maintenance and normal wear items, I replaced the front brakes for the first time last summer at about 47,000 miles and the original tires last fall at about 58,000 miles. All in all it has cost us almost the same amount as our 1998 did at the same point

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ricklustricklust Member Posts: 1
    I could not find the Cabin Filter on my Wifes Mazda MPV van. It was behind the Glove Compartment. Check out www.MPVClub.com

They showed where it was and step by step directions for removing.
    I have a 2003 Grand Caravan and I will be looking for my Filter behind the Glove Box.....Hope this helps.....
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Also look at the Chrysler Voyager which is the clone of the Caravan. I think you want the V6 engine and not the anemic inline 4 cyl.
    My sister just bought a nice used 2005 GC SE that had 23,000 miles and has already added another 1,000 miles.
    I just bought a used 2004 Dodge Caravan SE.
    75000 miles but it's in great shape and I love the way it drives.
    But I have two questions. Do I have to go to a dealer to get a copy of the Auto-Lock key, and how much will it cost.
    Second, on the second row sliding doors are these rubber plug in the middle front. What are these?
    Thanks, I'm sure I'll be back with more queries:-)
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Buy your key from Ebay if it is the sentry type which disables the car if it does not recognize the chip in the key. much cheaper than dealer, get it cut at hardware store. Rubber plug between front and middle seats if 6' X 12" may be covers for optional removable consoles that can mount between either seats.
  • joseluis67joseluis67 Member Posts: 1
    Please, I need Owners Manual Chrysler Voyager 2002.
    I bought my van from a reseller, so I don't have any of the original specs. How do I know if I have a Sentry Key? Is there an indication on it? Do all 2004 models have this feature?
    If not, could I just have a second key made at the hardware store?
    Check your owners manual It should show the types of keys.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Try e-bay or try a junkyard, there should be tons of simple owners manuals around. Don't limit yourself to just Chrysler Voyagers, the Dodge Caravan is essentially identical and will work.

Another choice might be to find someone who owns one and tie up a copying machine!
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    You can also try Dodge or Chrysler's web site. They have a place on there that says owner manuals.
  • webpenguinswebpenguins Member Posts: 1
    Is this code universal. I mean We have a 95 Voyager and I am getting code 32 ALSO. :surprise:
  • jasonmwcjasonmwc Member Posts: 6
    I Have a 2006 GC SXT. I was looking at the transmission and noticed 2 metal hoses that are coming out of the top of it leading to the front of the vehicle (radiator area). I can only trace them so far and then I loose them. My van didn't come with a transmission cooler, but it appears these hoses do something with cooling, anyone have any ideas as to what they are? Thanks.
    Those hoses are to cool the transmision fluid in the drivers side of the radiator. If you had a trans cooler they would go to it.
  • jingle3jingle3 Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems finding a torque converter for my 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L engine with 4 speed automatic transmission. It has been rebuilt and when we went to get a new torque converter, couldnt find one to match it. Can anyone help?
    From time to time I like to pull out all of the stops and see just how far I can coax our various cars on a tank of gas. This time it was our 3.8 liter 1998 DGC's turn, and so last Friday morning, immediately after I filled it up, I started driving uncharacteristically easy and smooth.

Over the years I've performed this test on the 1998 a number of times and the best result achieved so far was a 23.2 OBC reading done at the end of March this year. As a point of reference, this particular car has been averaging 21.259 mpg over the last year (a little over 30,000 miles), and 19.542 over its eight year 118,276 mile life.

With the above in mind, imagine my growing surprise when this particular set of 5 round trips to work (50% interstate, 40% suburban 2-Lane road, 10% urban crawl), plus a half a dozen local errands, continued to average within .5 mpg either way of 26! In fact, this evening as I was pulling off the interstate I had a solid 26.0 going, unfortunately there was a 1 mile crawl up to the intersection with the gas station, and the OBC "clicked" down to 25.9 just as I was rolling up to the pump. :-(

The particulars are as follows:
    Beginning fill up: 28-Jul
    Starting mileage: 117,852
    Ending fill up: 3-Aug
    Ending mileage: 118,271
    Trip Mileage (obc): 423.4
    Elapse Time (obc): 9:15
    Average Speed (calc): 45.77 mph
    Gallons of Fuel: 16.318
    Mileage (obc): 25.9
    Mileage (calc): 25.95

Interesting items:
    - The EPA rating for this van is 17 City & 24 Highway
    - Over the week I "Cold Started" the van 12 times. Each cold start and the subsequent driving until fully warmed up exacted a fairly significant toll in OBC mileage (.7 mpg last Friday night, .2 mpg this evening).
    - The highest number of miles ever in this van for one tank of gas prior to this tank: 407.6 (the same tank that yielded 23.2 mpg in March), however that tank took over 2 gallons more at fill up.
    - Given that there were an easy 3 gallons of gas left in the tank, had I been so inclined, I could have probably driven just over 500 miles on one tank. I know folks with the smaller/more fuel efficient engines in these vans do this all of the time, however, I think that's pretty rare for a 3.8 liter van.
    - I've been running Mobil 1 0W-40 oil in this van for some time and many folks "In the know" (think BITOG) have opined that my mileage should suffer because I am using a heavier oil than what is specified in my Owner's Manual. Hmmm, could have fooled me. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • wsolteszwsoltesz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 grand caravan sport with the 3.3 litre motor. I would like to see if anyone has suggestions on how to get some more power out of this motor. I have tried to find a "performance chip" for this motor but have failed. I tried hypertech and superchips without luck. I have also tried to find a high flow air intake also without luck. Doesn't anyone want to increase their performance/efficiency on this motor?
    Likely no one, or very few have any desire to do any performance modifications. This is, after all a minivan. Not many people have any interest in turning a minivan of any variety into a "tuner".
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Ummmmm...sir, it's a MINIVAN!

It has never occured to me to try and get more power from our van.
    We just bought a GC SE with the 3.3L engine, and while it certainly will never win a drag race, it is entirely adequate for its normal people/family/stuff hauling useage. Plus, we saved some money over the SXT with the 3.8, but still got options that included the "essential features"-Stow and Go, three zone AC, power windows and locks, remote, tinted windows, etc.

The EPA mileage is just a tidge better with the 3.3 than the 3.8, though whether better in the real world is probably questionable. Even if you could find "tuner" items for GC, these would all detract from fuel efficiency, which is more important these days than how fast you can get 0-60.
  • griff10griff10 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering going with the GC SXT and am not sure about the optional trailer tow package. I currently have a ~3000lb tent trailer to pull. The reason that I'm not sure about it is that if I demand that option it will very much limit the number of GC's that I can choose from in my area.

So, should I pass on the option and add the transmission cooler later or get the package? What are the pro's cons?

Thanks,
    Steve
    opt for the trailer package it contains a 600ah battery, load leveling rear suspension and the heavy duty engine cooling pkg, trailer wiring harness, as well as the trans cooler. The amount you pay now is a lot less than having it installed later.
  • herbbeasleyherbbeasley Member Posts: 4
    just received DTC P0303 on my 2005 Grand Caravan SXT - 36500 miles - anyone else had this or similar problem
  • miagarfuncklemiagarfunckle Member Posts: 51
    Does anybody know if the dealership will do a complete once over of my Grand Caravan before the 36k warranty is up and see if there are any warranty problems? My guess is no even though they get paid to replace anything under warranty. Do I need to take it to an independent person to look at it and if so, how much should I pay.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    I don't think they will do a complete inspection on their own. (Now they might if you ask them.) If you have no warning lights on, no rattles, no drips under the van, everything electrical is working, AC/Heat works, the motor runs smooth and the trans. shifts smooth. You have nothing to worry about. The only things that would be of concern would be the suspension parts and brakes. Have them looked at for free at CarX or Madias. Remember, if you don't have a problem already, then you don't have a problem. Make sure to have the trans. maintenance done at a Daimlerchrysler dealership. For they are the only ones that have the correct fluid for your trans. :shades:
    Does anybody know if the dealership will do a complete once over of my Grand Caravan before the 36k warranty is up and see if there are any warranty problems? My guess is no even though they get paid to replace anything under warranty. Do I need to take it to an independent person to look at it and if so, how much should I pay.

I was told to take my van in just before the warranty expires and have them check for anything that looks like it might need replacing. It might cost you an hour of labor charge, but if they find something that is about to need replacing and does it, you'll more than save money. If nothing wrong, you can feel at ease at least.
    I live in Phoenix Arizona and my wife drives my daughter to school every morning and picks her up. The mileage one way is about 3-5 miles one way. The temps here in the summer are easily above 105 so when my wife gets to the school somethimes she has to idle with the ac on for about 10-15 minutes. All other trips that she makes are less then a couple of miles each way. What gas mileage would you expect a Grand Caravan to get with this sort of driving. I am curious. Does anybody else do this sort of driving? Also I change the oil with 5w-30 every 3k but want to know if I should change the regular oil every 3k or synthetic every 7500-10000. Which is better for the type of driving that I do?
    Under the above mentioned difficult service I'd be surprised if a Caravan would even get 15 mpg (probably less). Also, even with synthetic oil I wouldn't go 7,500 when driven under the above conditions without first performing an oil analysis or two to confirm the oil is still good for that long.

Beset Regards,
    Shipo
    I also live in Phoenix and picked up my grand kids after school last year. But I always turned off my van and waited for them in the shade rather than let my van run all that time. Gas prices being what they are today, I don't think I'd want to pay for it just setting there idling. It's really not that bad in the shade.
    What is the affect of living in Arizona and having 105+ temps and having a Dodge Grand Caravan 05 and my wife drives it to and from kindergarten about 4 miles each way everyday and all other trips are about 1-2 miles in length each way. Also when she gets to the school in the afternoon she idles the car with the ac on for about 10-15 minutes. Should I just use regular oil every 3k or synthetic every 10k. Does this type of driving affect the longevity of the engine and if so should I put slick 50 or some other additive in it or just keep to the old way of changing oil and maintaining the vehicle. Any thoughts would help
    Under the above conditions I'd be inclined to use either conventional oil for maybe 2,000 miles or Synthetic oil for no more than 5,000 miles.

Yes, that type of engine operation will kill an engine before the miles on the odometer says it's time.

Slick 50 is for chumps. It is absolute 100% snake oil and designed to prolong the financial life of the folks who make and sell it and nothing else.

True story: Back when I worked for MB-USA, they had "donated" (actually they charged them $1.00 USD) a bullet proof limousine (converted from a 560SEL) to the U.N. for the purposes of carting the Secretary-General (then Boutros Boutros-Ghali) around while he was in New York. Due to the standing rules of how he was to be serviced, that car idled a lot. Guess what? After only 20,000 miles the top end of the engine was shot, forcing the car to be returned to Montvale for a rebuild of the top end of the engine.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    What do you all think about putting Resilone in a high mileage vehicle. I already put it in once and it quieted the valve lifters forever. Do you think it is beneficial to put it in. It is pretty cheap
  • furrydogsfurrydogs Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at minivans but I need one that can handle driving on snowy mountain roads. I saw a GC with a traction control option and was wondering if anybody had experience driving in the snow with this? Will it get me up a steeper snow packed road or will I still need studded tires? Any first hand experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    "Will it get me up a steeper snow packed road or will I still need studded tires?"

As the wise old sage once said, "It all depends."

Our 2003 DGC ES has traction control, we live in southern New Hampshire (fairly hilly), our street has a 7.5% grade, our driveway has a 15% grade and some driveways on our street have over a 30% grade.

With the OEM Bridgestone Turanzas that van was "okay" but nothing to write home about. Last fall I mounted Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires and it went from "okay" to "okay". That having been said, it was still no match for my RWD sedan with traction control and full-on winter tires (Michelin Arctic-Alpin).

Said another way, the 2003 has no problem with our street or our driveway with anything less than about 8" of snow, however, there ain't no way it's going to make it up any of the steeper driveways in our neighborhood (unless I go up in reverse), unlike my winter tire shod RWD car which just works its way right up the slope.

Were I in your shoes I'd either look for a used DGC with the AWD system that had to be done away with so that DC could make the Stow-n-go system, or I'd get a van with the traction control and a separate set of winter tires (along with their own set of wheels).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • furrydogsfurrydogs Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the good info on the traction control. I will be driving up to Breckenridge Colorado quite a bit this winter so I might have to invest in some snow tires. I'm not too thrilled about getting a used Dodge so I might have to look at other AWD alternatives. I really want a Subaru but I do like the space of the minivan. I don't think the road leading up to our place is more than 15% so maybe the DGC would work anyway.
    A DGC with Traction Control and a good set of winter tires will have no problem at all with 15% grades. What you might want to do is to wait for a good snow fall and arrange for an over-night test drive, and drive it home. If the van makes it with the factory rubber, then it will be child's play with winter tires.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • tattman23tattman23 Member Posts: 1
    During the warranty period, we made 4 trips to the dealer when the airbag light came on. They were great, replacing clockspring, and doing various other remedial work on the airbag system. The light would always come back on, anywhere from 6 days to 6 months later, so back to the dealer we would go...

In early '05 we came off warranty, and wouldn't you know it, the light comes on again. We go to see the dealer and (now that there's no warranty of course) they say we need to replace the airbag (shock and amazement!)..

I didn't think airbags spoiled like mayonnaise at a 4th of July picnic, number one. AND, I suppose the "Warranty Is Over Timer" worked perfectly. Cost of dealing with airbag light issues while under warranty = $0.00. Cost of replacing a suspiciously timed "bad" airbag, about $1,300.

the van's been great but for this issue - anybody feeling my pain?
    Tatt
    I would just NOT replace the airbag. As long as you and your passenger wears your seat/shoulder belts you have more than sufficient protection. :shades:
  • lar4lar4 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought an 84 caravan with a 3 liter and a 4 speed overdrive tranny. All the parts boys(Lordco, Napa, Canadian Tire, etc.) can't find that year of van with that configuration any clues please let me know what I am dealing with. Yes all numbers match.... Thanks fo the response.

Larry
    Something is very wrong with your information. In 1984 Dodge only used four cylinder engines and 3-speed transmissions. To the best of my knowledge, the 3.0 liter Mitsubishi V6 wasn't used in ANY Chrysler vehicle until 1988 and the 4-speed transmission wasn't released until 1989. As you can see, there is no way you have a "84 caravan with a 3 liter and a 4 speed overdrive tranny."

So, what do you have? My bet is that you either have a 1994 Caravan with the 3.0 liter V6 and a 4-Speed transmission OR you have a 1984 with either a 2.2 (Chrysler) or a 2.6 liter (Mitsubishi) four cylinder engine with the old 3-Speed Automatic.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • lar4lar4 Member Posts: 6
    ok I ran the numbers with dodge and the insurance company pooched there paper work and it is an 88. leave it to the government to make a mess. the funny thing is I checked the tail lights and they even said 84 on them this van is confusing...ha ha ha thanks for the help..

Larry
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    If this van is equiped with a thrid brake light (introduced in '86) then it is a '88.
    Hey gang, our much maligned (in the press and by Honda and Toyota lovers) 1998 DGC hit 125,000 miles today. Geez, when I took my current (supposedly six month) assignment in July of 2005 it only had 86,000 miles on the clock. Ouch. ;-)

The good news is that this van is still as fast and fuel efficient as it has ever been and as reliable as any car I've ever owned. Not too shabby! :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    CONGRATULATIONS. My sister's 1986 Caravan had 170,000 trouble free miles on the odometer when they sold it to get a Ford Explorer to tow the large trailer her husband's parents gave them.
    She was VERY happy when they got a nice, used 2005 GC SE in April this year.
    I doubt that I will keep my 2006 Sienna LE long enough to accumulate 125,000 miles. :shades:
    Depending upon where my next assignment turns out to be, our 1998 could see 160,000 to 170,000 by the end of 2007 and an easy 200,000 by the end of 2008. In 2009 I'll have my oldest in Driver's Education and I'm thinking that the 1998 will make a great first car for both him and his younger sister. Who knows, maybe it'll see the far side of 250,000 miles before we finally send it on to greener pastures. ;-)
    AGREE. There was a young man years ago writing in these forums who drove a Chrysler T&C to and from a private school many miles from his home. He was VERY happy to drive a T&C although many younger people prefer something more sporty. :shades:
  • buickboy92buickboy92 Member Posts: 19
    thats cool!!! :shades:
  • greencalgreencal Member Posts: 18
    I have Plymouth Grand Voyager 1999. I notice intermediate many electrical problem

1. My passenger side door's window regular stop working

2. Bigger problem is my lift gate lock remins in lock position not able to open i.e. can not close

Any advice ?

Thanks,
  • oldsalt2oldsalt2 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 1999 Dodge Grand Carvan LE 2WD with traction control. When at rest, if one wheel starts spinning, traction control does not seem to have any effect and the wheel continues to spin even though the other wheel has traction and is stopped. I am told that this is the way it is designed and that traction control only works when the vehicle is moving and both wheels are turning. IE it is a moving vehicle control device not a stuck in the snow device. Can anyone confirm this?