Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    Your problem is unfortunate, but most Accord owners are likely to disagree.

As for me, an 8.5 hour drive with only 3 brief stops was as comfortable as I've experienced in any car. No squirming nor readjustment needed at all.

There are people who bought the Accord because of its seat comfort......Richard
  • 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    AWD is fashion again, so will Honda follow the trend?

Subaru has reputation in AWD, but now it seems that they are going upscale. I saw some advertisements are comparing legacy with BMW 3-series. Come on, Subie!
  • nifty6nifty6 Member Posts: 21
    Have been looking for a Accord and been test driving them. Because of the posts here I made it a point to feel if the seats were comfortable. But on a short test drive, half hour, it is hard to determine the comfort level. But I noticed that the side bolster tended to rest or press on my right thigh. Other makes and models that I have test driven did not have a stiff side bolster like the Honda. I am 6'1" and 200 lbs. I am not sure on a long drive if it would become a problem. My wife, shorter than me says the seat feels ok to her. Maybe a taller person might find the seat more of a discomfort than a shorter person. Have to agree about the Toyota having a short,length, seat, test drove one few years back and after a half hour noticed my under thighs a bit sore (discomfort) because of the short seat, no support at all. Didn't buy the car for that reason. My crappy Cavalier on a 4,500 mile trip last year proved to be comfortable but not sure if the Honda would be??
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I have a 1999 LX 4-cyl......my seats are rock hard after 6 years. Even my 220 pound butt can't soften them up. Great dependable car though. Road noise is my only other gripe.
  • uncommonmanuncommonman Member Posts: 65
    Perhaps my wife and I are one of the "very few folks posting here" who are not accustomed to, nor willing to accept, mediocrity. We have 4 other vehicles which have seats which are far superior to this Honda, and one is over 2 decades old. Perhaps you have one of the 12 out of 16 vehicles plethysmo at #16995 recently checked out and had acceptable seats. Good for you. Apparently we have one of the 4 out of those 16 which are crap. Personally, I think $23,000 is a big penalty to pay for Honda's screw up, and I am not going to suck it up and play dead about this issue. If I could be on the 6:30 news with this situation, I would. A month ago at the mall here in Johnson City, NY there was a car show, and I hung around the Honda display to tell folks looking at the Accords about our experience with the dealership and the Honda company. I intend to warn as many people as I can about this problem. If you look objectively at the posts here, you will see that there are others who have issues with awful seats. If you don't have those terrible seats, good for you. We do, and the Honda factory rep knows it is a problem. Our new Honda sucks, and we're not happy about it. I'm not going away anytime soon.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Even though you appear to be in the very small minority of Accord drivers who are unhappy about their seats (none are as vociferous, or vindictive sounding) it looks like you are a candidate for a change of vehicles. Best of luck with whatever brand you next choose.
  • khissamkhissam Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

Three day ago I bought my first car, a 4 cylinder '03 Accord EX with 25K miles...It's beautiful and I love it.
    When I bought it it only came with one key fob and none of the papers indicating the key fob serial number or audio system code for anti-theft. The dealer, who is an authorized honda dealer, wasn't able to provide me with the name of the original dealer, hence I'm not sure how to go about getting another key fob or the audio system codes. Can anyone give me any suggestions about how to get these.
    Also, I would love to have an external temperature gauge on the car. I've read the two posts about installing the aftermarket gauge. I'm not very adept, mechanically speaking. Can anyone add anything else to these posts that might give me a little more info, either yea or nea.
    One last thing, has anyone installed the elctochromic rearview mirror with compass? Does it work well? Is it diffict to install?

I realize this is a lot of info I'm asking for, but I just want everything on this car to be nice...man is it an awesome car.

thanks,
    khissam
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Uncommonman:

First off, $23,000 for a base EX? I hope you have extremely high state sales tax rates wherever you are from because you got burned imho. Second, if you owned an 04 EX-L w/ NAVI, I would be willing to take it off your hands sight unseen because of your terrible seats. Of course you are going to get burned again on the sale of said Accord but you are obviously displeased enough to give someone else a great deal, right? I cannot wait to here the end of this story …

I don’t know how comfortable the 7th gen Accord seats are on a long trip but on 3 short test drives I have had in one, I thought both the drivers and passenger seats were superb.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    You are correct, in that, the Accord does have "Hard Seats". They could use some additional "padding". The 2003 is an improvement over the 1997 and the 2000 Accord. After a couple of hours behind the wheel, I need to stop and stretch. You might want to try a small pillow on the seat. I use a large pillow, on the back portion of the seat, when I drive my wife's 2004 Civic.
  • accordmqaccordmq Member Posts: 25
    One man's junk is another's treasure. I give thumbs up to Accord's seats (1996 LX coupe and 2004 EX 4Dr). The firmness and support of these seats are just fine for us (average builds). The seats in the 1996 are holding up very well after 120K miles, and are still comfortable. A few times I drove 12 hours almost non-stop and did not feel any discomfort. The ones in the 2004 feel a bit firmer, but wider and with higher backs. Comfortable just the same.
    Just wish the headrests could tilt.
    I am very happy that you like the Accord's seats. Personally, I do not like a "firm seat". I guess it is a personal issue. I will make it a point to let you know how I like the Accord's seats at 100,000 miles, (if I keep the vehicle that long). You know, us retired people have to spend our money on something, and a new vehicle every three years is a good idea. After all, you can't take the money with you, and why give it to a nursing home. If you want to experience comfortable seats try a Chevrolet Impala. The only down side to that vehicle, is that it comes with a V6 engine, and I don't want to waste fuel operating a land vehicle. So I guess I am stuck with choosing between a Honda, Toyota or Nissan. (Hyundai or Kia are not even in the running. They are junk!) I would look at Chrysler vehicles, but they have a history of problems, especially in their four cylinder engines, (head gaskets).
    "That poster should sell his Accord and buy something else". -----I don't understand this comment. This forum is for the open and free exchange of opinions about a product, in the hope, that future vehicles will be built better, (if the manufacturer reads these postings). I have owned three Accords, (1997, 2000 & 2003). The seats in the 1997 were terrible. The 2000 were a little better in terms of comfort, and the 2003 are a major improvement, but there still could be further work done on this issue. I think this Honda owner is "for real", and has voice a "real" concern.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    This fall I drove 15 hours and 900 miles in one day in my 2003 Accord EX-L. The seats were very comfortable. I do agree the right thigh side bolster can be a bit hard and compress the leg a bit.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >You know, us retired people have to spend our money on something, and a new vehicle every three years is a good idea. After all, you can't take the money with you, and why give it to a nursing home.

You had included Impala in an earlier post for your list of choices for car replacement... this time it's gone.

I figured out long ago 1-2 mpg makes little difference in total cost of driving on a trip and that's especially true when you hit 24 or so mpg.

If you're interested in spending money the most enjoyable way, you should pick the car that you feel most comfortable driving. The 4-cyl may be able to sip gasoline slightly more slowly, but I found the difference between a 4-cyl and efficient 6-cyl was a small cost during a year of our driving. My wife gets 22.5-24 mpg in her suburban 1-2 mile average trips. She is not careful about using the engine to move. I get better locally on a 3800 (an Impala weighs less so should do better in stop-n-go). The car gets 33-35 on interstate/open highway driving.

I'll pay the extra cost for the comfort level and openess in the car I chose for me. My brother passed away not having enjoyed much around him by having been very frugal. I'm enjoying the things that matter to me. BTW: my car seats are VERY comfortable bench seats with armrest and lots of room. I hate leather, but that's the only choice for the car I picked.

Just my opinion.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    differences of opinon about car seats or anything at all about the Accord are absolutely welcome here - as long as they are expressed respectfully.

Accusing someone of being a troll because they have a different experience than you do is not respectful and will not be tolerated.

Everyone is welcome here. No poster here has the right to tell someone else not to post here, nor should we be insisting that someone replace his vehicle because he has a problem with it.

Your not having the problem and also not having a suggestion for alleviating his problem (other than ditching the whole car which you KNOW would be extremely expensive) is cause for you to just keep quiet, not cause to be rude.

If anyone wants to discuss these things, email me - do not do it here.

If you have had a post removed in the last 12 hours or so, I am talking to you.

Thank you.
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    Some years ago a fellow in our area bought a high-quality Ford Fairmont and had a couple problems with it. He made a huge paper-mache lemon, put it on top of his car, and parked it on the street outside the dealer. I think they got the attention of the dealer.

If you make a model of a large rock in the shape of a Honda seat, you could do the same thing.

Remember the inspirational words of President John Kennedy, "Don't get mad. Get even." One of those caring, touchy-feely Democrats, right?
    I had a Mustang (long ago) and the seat became uncomfortable after a year of sitting. I took the seat out, unclipped the covering, placed a shaved, shaped layer of foam on top of the seat, and put it back together. A body shop deals with disconnect airbags regularly. They should be able to apply something to the seat to ameliorate the pressure you're feeling.

I recall that in the Pilot or Pilot Problems and Solutions discussions there's talk about problems with uncomfortable seats also. You might go search in those.

• gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Oh my bad. I was just going by my past experience with Accords.

I have owned 3 of this generation Accord. I initially bought a coupe but when my wife got pregnant I couldn't add two more doors to it so I had to trade it in for an automatic sedan.

I couldn't stand the way the automatic hunted going up hills with no option to lock it in fifth. Instead of complaining to Honda about this tendency that they wouldn't/couldn't change anyway, I just got rid of the automatic for a manual tranny Accord. It would have done no good to complain on Edmunds incessantly about something that is a "personal issue" I had with the car. The only real option is to take care of the issue myself and get another car.

That was why some of us mentioned that that poster should probably get another car. I know it is expensive, but there is no way I would drive a car that I can't stand to sit in. There are several places that sell aftermarket seats though.

http://www.racingseats.biz/ or
    http://www.recaro-seats.co.uk/

Probably the cheapest way to go.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    If a key component of any car [like the seats] is working as designed, and I can't stand it, the only thing to do is find another car, or replace the component. I don't consider these as either radical nor insensitive suggestions. Making a lot of noise about this to others may be personally satisfying, but it doesn't do much to make the next long trip in the car liveable.
  • kenfrombmorekenfrombmore Member Posts: 5
    I'm trying to remain optimistic about my Accord, since everything about the car is great except for the seat comfort. I can't help getting a little upset after my morning commute, when for the rest of the day my right thigh is cramped up. It's definitely the Accord because I didn't have this problem two weeks ago when I still had my Integra. But like I said I'm trying to remain optimistic. Is it normal to go through a "wear-in" period with a car in regards to the seat comfort? I mean, after I continually tweak the position, will I eventually find the perfect adjustment that doesn't hurt my back or cramp my thigh? Has anyone had a similar experience?

I've heard about the Recaro after-factory seats, but I'd be taking a chance there, too... how do I know that one of those $1k seats would show improvement?

In regards to the hard seats issue - I prefer a firm seat, as long as it comforms to my shape (6'3", 190). I think Honda design engineers are trying, by providing a multi-adjustable power seat and tilting/telescoping steering wheel, but there is room for improvement.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    The coupe EX V6's seats are not as firm as the 4-door's, and a swap could be your solution. The online store below sells parts of the seat separately; the lower cushion can be had for $225.00 plus shipping. Sit in a coupe to see if it meets your need and check if the lower cushions are interchangeable. We have both the 4-door and the coupe to be able to tell.

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/index.php?ref=1&cPath=104
  • carpartscarparts Member Posts: 4
    (Hyundai or Kia are not even in the running. They are junk!)
    Obviously gregoryc1 has not driven one of the newer offerings by Hyundai. The Sonata has been rated as the most trouble-free car after initial sale by J.D.Powers & Assoc. recently, up there with the formidable Lexus.
    Wait till you try the 2006 Sonata, which I've driven extensively while in Seoul. I currently own an 03 Accord at my home in Lansing, MI, and I can tell you from experience that the 06 Sonata will be as good, if not better, in almost every aspect as the current Accord. The quality of workmanship, panel gaps, sound-proofing, engine performance, etc. were as good as any Camry or Accord, and definitely better than the offerings by GM. And yes, the seats in the Sonata felt quite comfy and accomodating to boot.
    I've been a loyal Honda fan (I owned 2 CRX's, 2 Civics, 2 Accords since the late 80s) but after the Seoul experience, I think I will take off the Honda blinders and try other makers including the Korean brands.
    >I will take off the Honda blinders and try other makers I will take off the Honda blinders and try other makers

That statement is priceless. Great insight.

QUESTIONS: ---- Will J.D. Power & Assoc. be at the side of the road when this vehicle suffers an operational problem?-----The Chrysler dealers in my area of the country, that sell Hyundai and Kia, have VERY poor track records servicing both Chrysler, Kia and Hyundai vehicles. My Honda dealer is outstanding in that area. When it comes time to trade in the Sonata at a three year interval, are you going to get the same trade in value as the Accord, or do you have to run the vehicle into the ground to get your money back? Because J.D. Powers & Assoc makes a statement, doesn't make it TRUE! It is simply their opinion. Do the research on these vehicles! Chrysler touts the quality of owning a Jeep GC, but neglects to tell the customer that many of these vehicles have electrical, brake rotor and drive train issues at low mileage. We know this first hand, because we had a 1995 Jeep GC, on a 30 month leased that lived at the dealer's service department! But, it is your money, and you can purchase any vehicle that fits your needs.
  • snakehairsnakehair Member Posts: 120
    Just to add another 2 cents to the discussion. I am not a fan of the Accord seats. I also find the right side bolster causing a pain after a couple of hours and do a lot of squirming to get comfortable. Found if I sit somewhat "off center" to the wheel it isn't as bad. Possibly the seating position lining up to the wheel is the problem. Only know that I do not enjoy the idea of 10-12 hour runs as much as I used to eeven though the V6 is a great driving car.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Can't really compare cars made today to the ones they made back then. This Accord is eons inproved to the 1995 ones but I am disappointed with the lack of soft touch material ALL carmakers have been using these days. Hyundai has obviously gotten their act together in a hurry. I'm looking forward to seeing that new Sonata.

They still haven't gotten their photoshop program to integrate all the different aspects of the cars they copy, but it still looks to be quite a package for those that don't want to spend the money for a "premium" family sedan such aa an Accord or Camry.

http://www.hyundainews.com/presskit2005/Sonata_06Gallery.html
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Are all the 4 cy. engines in all the accord models the same? ie: does anything change, engine wise, from say a DX model compared to a EXL.Thank you........
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    A quick trip to the website reveals that the same engine is used in all Accord 4 cyl. models.
  • ashbalashbal Member Posts: 4
    I am a proud owner of a 2005 Honda Accord EX with Manual Transmission (4 DR). I heard that it is not good to drive long distances with cruise control turned ON , on a new car . I would like to confirm if that would affect engine performance.

Also , should I be driving my car on Interstates to tune the engine up ?

Ash
  • 3dd3dd Member Posts: 20
    I also had problems with the driver seat. My problem with it was that the new Accord's dash is a lot higher than my old Accord--I used to have a clear view of the hood. So I would adjust the seat upwards, and the angle of my foot and the gas paddle made it really uncomfortable. I then pushed the seat forward, but this made the break and gas paddle too sensitive to the touch. All these combinations made my leg really tire after just a short drive. I finally was able to find a suitable position with the steering wheel pulled forward. As far as the hardness of the seat, I don't think they are too bad.
    ashbal:

I've not read the 2005 one, but your Owner's Manual probably specifies that you should vary your speeds during the first 600 to 1,000 mile break-in period. That would imply that using cruise control before the break-in period is complete would not be advisable.

There is no type of driving that "tunes the engine up". Just drive you new car at moderate speeds, both local and highway.
    Blane:

I checked the manual and it says these during the break-in period (first 600 miles)

Avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration

donot change the oil until the scheduled maintainence time

avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles

donot tow a trailer

In general , I was NOT planning to take my car when I go out of town .I would prefer to use a rental car.
  • fender4645fender4645 Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys. I'm thinking of getting a V-6 sedan with Navigation and have a question: does XM Satellite Radio come standard with this model or is it an option? The Honda web site lists it as standard however Edmunds says it's an option.

Thanks!!
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Fender4645:

XM is std. on both the EX-L (I4) and the EX V6 irregardless if you order NAVI with either but to get NAVI on the I4, you have to have an EX-L. Clear as mud, right ;-)

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • carpartscarparts Member Posts: 4
    "Will J.D. Power & Assoc. be at the side of the road when this vehicle suffers an operational problem?-----"
    No, but the roadside service that Hyundai provides for free (unlike Honda) will be there, along with the 10 year warranty.

"Because J.D. Powers & Assoc makes a statement, doesn't make it TRUE!"
    What is your definition of "true"? J.D.Powers & Assoc use objective figures to assess the quality of automobiles in their first three months of operation.
    In the case of the Sonata, I believe they found only 2 flaws per 100 vehicles, which was better than the Accord.

I simply wanted to make the statement that the gap between Honda (or toyota) and other makers, especially Hyundai, has closed to the point that a potential buyer should keep an open mind rather than buying a Honda year after year just for the sake of brand loyalty. I love my Accord, but I won't feel like I'm cheating when I shop for another brand.
  • fender4645fender4645 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the response, Wayne. And yes, this is a bit confusing. This will be my first new car so it's all new to me. Thank goodness for Edmunds and this forum! :)

Thanks!
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    You said "In general , I was NOT planning to take my car when I go out of town .I would prefer to use a rental car. "

I must say that I find this to be a very strange approach to automobile ownership and usage.....
    I got the impression last week from some of the not-very-subtle posts here, that unfavorable comments from dissatisfied owners of the Honda Accord are oftentimes not welcome. Thank you to those who supported our right to complain. It wouldn't be a stretch to presume that posters here, the majority of whom seem satisfied with their purchase, are NOT a statistically significant sampling of all owners, but rather a group of particularly satisfied owners who post in a mutually friendly environment. Those of us who have significant issues with our Hondas or the Honda company, are not the enemy! We all want to be happy with our purchases, particularly depreciating assets like expensive automobiles, and if those of us who feel our complaints were disregarded by Honda can warn prospective purchasers of any problems with our car or the Honda corporation, through this thread or other ways, then new car shoppers will be better able to make an informed choice. I wish somebody had posted here about the terrible seats before we bought this lemon. I am not the only person who is unhappy with the terrible seats in their Accord, but I acknowledge I am in the minority on this issue, at least among those posting here. For those of you who are satisfied with your car, I'm glad for you. If you're currently shopping for a Honda, I'd recommend you drive around for AT LEAST 2 hours to be sure the seats are okay in your car, because once you hand over the check, the terrible seats are a non issue as far as Honda's concerned. You know, we want to be happy with our car too. Honda needs to remedy this hard seat problem for those of us who have them. It's not something you can surmise on a 30 minute test drive, so now we have an expensive car we cannot take on a trip. Maybe the seat problem is a supplier issue as someone here suggested, maybe it's a design issue, or maybe it's a production-run issue for the seat suppliers. But it is a legitimate issue if you have one of these dogs, and taking the huge depreciation hit on a new car only a few months old, as some of you have recommend, is not a solution for a lot of people. Our car is defective, plain and simple. The seats suck - they're inexcusably uncomfortable; Honda knows it's a problem for some of us, and Honda needs to remedy it. Because of our unfortunate experience, I couldn't recommend a Honda automobile or the Honda company to anybody. We won't ever buy another one, and I don't want this to happen to anybody else without being forewarned. A new Honda costs a lot of money. Caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A number of suggestions have been offered. Have you considered any of them? If we can help you, we'd sure like to try.

I hope you noticed that several people have agreed with you, although it sounds as though your problem is probably the severest reported here.

I do think you've made your point, though. If there isn't anything we can do for you, we wish you the best. But there isn't any reason to keep repeating the same things. That's where folks begin to think your purpose is to cause trouble.

Best of luck to you.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Uncommonman,

Sorry your seats are uncomfortable. The Honda seats are firm and do not have a lot of thigh support. BMW seats (98 M3 sedan) are even firmer and tend to be uncomforttable on long trips even with an extendable thigh support. Lexus (IS300 and ES300) are not as firm and more comfortable on long trips because the seat platform is longer, i.e. more thigh support. The Toyota Avalon, seeems to be the most comfortable of the cars I have. It seems to have longer thigh supprot and wider seats.

You mentioned you have more comfortable cars, what other cars do you drive?

Is you seat comfort (or discomfort due to) (1) firmness, (2)seat width, (3) side bolsters, (4) shortness of thigh platform (5) height of legs in realtionship to floor pan or (6) other.

Some of the limitiations can be overcome, others cannot.

While, you are right, the posters is not a statistcally correct sample, I think you will find both sides, those that like the car, those that don't.

Your opinions are welcome! And again, sorry you are experiencing discomfort.

If you had it all to do over again, what would you buy instead of an Accord? Do you think seat comfort shout be added to car testing and car reviews ?

YCMV, (Your Comfort May Vary)

MidCow
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...about exactly what Honda is supposed to do to solve "seat comfort" problems for a minority of owners.

Suppose the solution for "you" makes the seat unusable for "me", or the majority? Are they supposed to offer 5 different seat designs? The seat already has a myriad number of adjustments, and the wheel tilts and telescopes.

I too am empathetic, but a] these seats seem perfectly fine to me and b] I don't see how Honda the corporation is supposed to respond. If they make the seat softer, I can tell you I would be unhappy - maybe make the electric seat available across the board, which has the most adjustability, but realistically, it's hard to see the economics in that.

As I said, I would dump the car and move on. I've had to do exactly that in my 40+ years of buying new cars - sometimes you make a mistake, and the only solution is to swallow hard and get on with it. I was very unhappy with the automatic transmission in our '76 MB 300D [probably the worst of the 50+ cars I've owned], but it was working as designed, and I didn't expect MB to redesign it to suit my tastes. This is the part about the seat complaint that leaves me scratching my head...
    I'm not trying to cause trouble, nor offend anyone, although if my view of the seat situation offends readers here, I'm sorry. Several posters complained here about the seat issues again last week, and I've probably had longer experience dealing with Honda on this problem than most of the new complaintants, so I put in my $0.02. Well, maybe $0.25. I really wish I had somebody expose this problem when we were car shopping last fall. My Grandpa used to say "too soon old, too late smart". ;-).
    Somebody last week noted that they sat in 16 Accords and only 4 of the 16 had "hard" seats, suggesting that there may be a supplier or production/process problem. The hardness of the seat cushion is only part of the problem (for us) and no, I don't think they should solve my problem at the expense of you and the majority. Our seats have virtually no give in the butt area, and the seat platform drops off somewhat at it's extreme rear. This is compounded with a seat back (on both front seats) which curves back so far at it's extreme bottom, that you'd have to have a butt shaped like a "V", or lean forward and rest your head on the dashboard, to fit your body into the seat. Visualize sitting at your computer on a piece of plywood for an hour without leaning your extreme lower back/buttock into any support, and maybe this will give you an idea of what our seats are like. BTW, we did not test drive this car for any extended period of time as the dealer got it from another dealer. We thought all 2004 Honda Accord EX's would be alike. Silly us, maybe. Anyway, what needs to be done is less dense padding, but more of it, should be put in both the seat bottom and seat back so when your body is there behind the wheel, the seat touches you all over, just like every other car we have ever owned or driven. This one don't! Hopefully, yours does. The Honda rep says don't take the seats apart because of the side airbags and passenger air bag sensor, but I think this is something Honda could remedy, but not a local upholsterer. There are some other issues with the seats which I think could be solved by car owners, although Honda might not approve from a safety litigation point. And you are right, this car is going to have to go. We cannot use it for it's intended purpose.
    Bolivar,

I put quite a few miles on my car as I drive for work. The reason I would prefer to use rental car is that on long trips is that , I donot have to put more miles on my own car. Moreover, I would like to use cruise control on long drives as it is more convenient and donot want to do the same to my car.

Some would say if you love car driving so much , why dont u use your car for going on long trips. I just think different ..
    Thanks for the kind words.

All of our other 4 vehicles are American cars and trucks with good to outstanding seats. Even my beater '88 S10 Blazer has better seats than the Accord. That's really sad, and this is partly why we are so dissapointed with the Honda. At the onset, we had very high expectations of a Japanese car, and Honda in particular. But, even my 28 year old LeSabre has seats we can ride all day in without fatigue.

The seat comfort problem, on our Accord, is due to the seat platform hardness and TOTAL lack of support at the extreme lower backrest. I think others here could remedy their lack of thigh support complaints by raising the front of the seat 2 inches using a 1/4 inch thick aluminum or steel plate drilled to accept the seat mount screws in the floorpan, and with some grade 8 bolts and nuts through holes 2 inches above that, to support the seat at the metal brackets formerly attached to the floor. You may need a simple weldment to this plate with 1 inch square tube to keep the bracket from rotating in the event of a collision. Honda, I am sure, would not approve of that, but I think it would relieve a lot of thigh stress complaints. My wife and I are not having that problem, or maybe we're just not recognizing it because we have other more serious (to us) seat issues.

What would we get instead of the Accord if we could start over? I don't know, but I think we'll be finding out sooner rather than later. For sure, there won't be an "H" on the grill.
    ashbal:

Could you please clarify why you "do not want to do the same to my car? Are you concerned that your "more convenient" cruise control (or your car) may somehow become damaged if you use it?
    uncommonman:

You have finally made clear why you consider your seats too firm. Since all of your other vehicles are "American cars", I now understand your comments. You are used to a much more "cushy" ride.

Personally, I've never enjoyed the "feel" of larger domestic vehicles' handling (too "wallowy" or "mushy"). That was always accentuated (to me) by the big three manufacturers' propensity to make their seats more like living room furniture. That's a major reason that I, and apparently many other buyers, have chosen better handling and perhaps firmer, seats and suspensions only available in "imports" over the past two decades. Clearly that has been to the detriment of the "domestics". But different strokes for different folks still holds true.
    Blane:

I am concerned that using cruise control for a long period of time ( i mean long time at a stretch) during long trips , would affect the engine performance. I kind of feel that if I put the cruise control for a long time , the engine would be running with the same RPM and might damage it or not good for it
    ashbal:

You should not have those concerns about the use and funtion of cruise control once you have passed the 600 mile break-in period. As your vehicle moves up and down hills, or when you brake and accelerate, your RPMs will vary accordingly. There is no possible way that an engine, even running at constant RPM, could become damaged unless it was defective, or overheated due to lack of coolant or lubrication. Both highly unlikely with today's modern engines.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    After the inital 'breakin' period, usually 600-1,000 miles (read your owner's manual), using cruise control for extended periods will not harm an automobile.

Millions of cars use cruise control, and the rural areas of America with long streches of Interstate highway are not littered with broken down cars resulting from cruise control use.

I still don't understand your auto usage. Renting a car has to be significantly more expensive than using your personal car. It not, then noone would own a car, we would all rent.