Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    There were two advantages to long distance remote transmitters. If it was dark you could hit the unlock, and it would turn on your headlights for you. If you forgot exactly where you parked, you could push the remote, and the car would say "Here I am". But every car has it's good points and bad points. The same car with the long distance remote (it was really a truck) also had the doors that locked automatically when you turned the key, so if you were waiting for someone (usually my brother) you would have to unlock the door again (can become a pain sometimes). I'll lock the door when I'm ready, OK Toyota.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I can see some people liking the advantage of a long remote (letting kids get into the car while you're still walking to it, etc...). I dont think I really use the full range of my car's remote though, usually opening it when I'm only a few steps from getting in the car. I park in a parking deck in downtown Birmingham, often getting in the car at night, and don't want the car open well in advance. I like to unlock it when I'm right at the door, then lock the doors back before I do anything else once I get in.

I do like having the lights on as I approach the car, but they turn off after 10 seconds, so unlocking the doors too far away will get you put in the dark by the time you get to it! :)
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Stick the remote under your chin, open your mouth and activate it. It will work.

As for the Big Key, my VW key is one of the switch blade style. I carry it all alone and the rest of my keys are on their own ring.
    Stick the remote under your chin, open your mouth and activate it. It will work.

I took your advice, and now my jaws are locked.

:)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    > now my jaws are locked.

Push the trunk button and your jaws will open. Just don't push the remote start button; we can't be responsible.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Just push the unlock button twice with your chin and hold it down the second time. Everything will open.... eyes, jaw, nostrils (great for congestion). You may want to deactivate your fly though.
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    My accord key:

Still waiting for my dealer to get their key cutting machine fixed so they can cut this key for me though. :shades:
    Is that an actual Honda key? with the immobilizer chip inside?
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    "Honda" as a company...not honda as the brand...it's a key for the 07 TL, but the immobilizer chip is the same as the 03-05 accord. I can't remember if its the same chip as the 06-07 accord though. The functionality of this key is exactly the same as that of the actual oem key(lock, unlock+window, trunk), except this one is wayyyy cooler and flips out.
  • saleemsaleem Member Posts: 114
    thats pretty sweet, i wish i had that instead of the standard one. does this have a longer range?
  • redsfan1redsfan1 Member Posts: 58
    Is 20,600 with tax and title?
    Would you buy a used honda accord ex 2004 that is in really good condition from an indepenent seller OR would you buy a new SE Accord 2007 from a dealer? Both of the cars are graphite pearl. THe used one has 35,000 miles on it. The used one would be cheaper and have the leather seats and Xm radio. The list price is 18,500 and the new 07 price is 20,600. I would for sure get the guy down on the 18,500 w/the indep. seller.

Does anyone know the safety features on the 04? Would it have traction control etc.? OR do you think the 07 would be more safe with the VSC?

For some reason I think the old ones don't look as "family sedan like" for some reason. Maybe because I have seen more on the road. This one actually has a wing.

One of my friend's said you can always save money buying private.
  • deekzdeekz Member Posts: 9
    Why would you want to buy a used one with all that wear and tear for the same price as a new one. Is the leather worth that much to you? Seems like a no brainer to me. Also, as you mentioned it has VSC and other updates.

Plus, you'll probably get cheaper financing on the newer one if you are going that route.

Just my $.02

:shades:
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Buy the new one. Don't buy used. Higher chance of getting a bad car w/ no remedies available.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Bought an SE V6 and it has the VSC. Car is awesome! Stability control is only on the V6, I do believe. Anyway, the price is so close, even if you go with the V6 for a few thousand more, the used deal makes little sense. If you go to Intellichoice, you will see figures on five year ownership of cars, and the SE deal is better than the EX package deal as total cost to own. As for the wing, the trunk latch seems to work, so the trunk lid down-force is not a requirement. :D Ya know, I never owned a winged car - that should be on my someday list. Maybe a classic car, or something.

As for looks, that is subjective, but I sure like my Royal Blue, with some fine rims. I kinda prefer simple lines to cars. That said, the CTS is odd enough to be very interesting. Personally, I think the Accord designs hold up well over time, as they are classy and smooth.

As for saving money buying used, I believe it to be so true of American makes of cars, as depreciation simply hammers the price down. Buy Japan makes new, and domestics used, and ya pretty much have it made. And you will have a warranty.
    -Loren
  • bodybuiltbrockbodybuiltbrock Member Posts: 13
    They certainly seem to be the screaming bargain of the Accord lineup, both 4-cylinder and V6 SEs will sell well I bet!

Brock
    dunno why you would buy the used one. You should really refer to the prices paid forum for the SE pricing. Assuming its a 4cyl, you can get it for like $18500 plus destination, plus doc fee, plus everything. I was OTD with 7% tax at like $20,500 i think? Not sure if you were referring to OTD.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The poster failed to be very clear about the models they were specifying, however since the person mentioned leather on the used Accord EX and stability control being on new Accord, I decoded that riddle to probably mean they were comparing V6, not 4 cyl models.
    ah, thats true.
    sorry, i meant 6 cylinder of course on both.
    They will sell you an SE V6 for 20,600 and you are thinking about it??? Personally, I would have had the checkbook out in a flash. That is a $23,945 car ! I got a deal, with a good trade-in price, but not a low 20,600 for an Accord. Yes, I know, there are lower prices posted on boards. Basically, it all boils down to good or excellent prices on Accords, which is not the norm. They are dealing now, and I assume through the year up to selling all of the '07 models before the '08 redesign comes out. I like the current one, and it won't have the first year problems of most redesigned cars. I jumped in this year. As for used Accords -- oh my, they are expensive. That's my view; other may see it differently.
    -Loren
  • glennglennglennglenn Member Posts: 55
    I paid $20,600 OTD including tax title and license and the [non-permissible content removed] paperwork fee that dealers charge (another form of profit). I stated that I paid separately for the wing and the mud flaps which added $450.00 to the total. Its a great car, black with V-6, VSC which is amazing in the snow. Why buy a used Accord when you can get the new V-6 (which is much faster than my old 2003 V-6 model)for just a few grand more??? Problems with Honda's are that they hold their value so well (this is actually a good thing) that it does not pay to buy a used one when you can get a new one with warranty for just a lil more.
    I wouldn't complain about paperwork fees, if the OTD price is $20,600. That is way lower than most people would pay -- heck pay for a used one. Have no idea why they sold it so cheap. That is a low price if it was a four cylinder. Heck a low price if it was a Ford Fusion. For a six cylinder, that price is a steal!

I too am impressed with the power, and smoothness. When looking at cars, it came down to getting a price on the Aura and the Accord. Now, I am glad I got the Accord SE V6. The Aura XE is not a bad car, but the deal would have been a bad one. It would have cost more, and I would not have the resale value and the smooth Accord six. The Aura XR engine is pretty good, but the price jumps quite a bit. The bang for the buck is in the Accord V6 deals these days.
    -Loren
    My car key range seems to be more than double that of yours. Seems to unlock the doors from a good long range.
    -Loren
    I'm not sure how $20,600 is your OTD price on a V6 at all, either... please clarify.
    I bet you pay little for transportation of the new car. We here in California get hit with the transport costs and the license fees, so that adjusts us up a bit over the mid-west price. I guess you could drive on over to the plant from where you live??? In California, we add around 9.5% in license and tax fees. And the delv. is $595. Things are sure less expensive in other states, though I do not envy the snow and cold, of which I would not wish on anyone.
    -Loren
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I bet you pay little for transportation of the new car.

Actually everyone pays the same destination charge on new cars whether you live 10 miles or 1000 miles from the factory.

IMHO, OTD prices are worthless because taxes and registration prices vary from state to state.
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    IMHO, OTD prices are worthless because taxes and registration prices vary from state to state.

Absolutely worthless.

The best way to show the price so as to make it meaningful to others is:

Negotiated price for car...
    Delivery cost..............
    Plus options...............
    Sub Total..................
    Doc fees...................
    Tags.......................
    Sales Tax..................
    Grand total................
    Less rebates (if any)......
    OTD price..................
    Hey guys... just had a fun experience with one of my broadcast copywriting classes. I had to write, script, and produce a national television commercial (not on the air for real, of course) advertising any product or service we wanted to. I opted to do the Honda Accord Sedan (using my 2006 Accord EX as the filmed vehicle, since it is identical to the 2007 I was supposed to be portraying).

To get the right pictures I needed, I had a friend drive the car while I stood in different places and filmed it. (I'll post pictures on carspace later). He then drove some more to take us back to my house, since I had camera equipment to deal with and work to do. He got out of the car talking about how "incredibly solid" it felt. This coming from the driver of a GM truck in the past, and currently, a newish Nissan Maxima. He liked the weighty steering, and just seemed generally impressed with the quality. He had never before driven a Honda, only Nissan cars and GM full-size trucks.

Just thought I'd post these rather unbiased remarks about the Accord. It's not a lot of info, but I thought it would be nice to share.
    Thanks for the post... that had to make you feel great.
    Well, he just said what I felt after the first test drive. There's something different about the Accord; a certain quality that I didn't find among the other contenders.
  • bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    I've had my 07 Accord SE I4 for almost two weeks now. I've been alternating between my 2000 Malibu and the Accord to drive to work. (Just trying to keep the BU running some). Even though I do 'feel the road' more in the Accord, I just love the handling and turning radius.

Last weekend, I had to go to a retreat and my wife TOLD ME that she wanted to drive the Accord, and I could take the 'old' car. "Yes Dear!". This is a woman that could care less what she drives, so long as it gets her from A to B.

When I got home from the retreat, she didn't comment on the car to me, but I asked my son 'what Mom thought'. He replied, "Mom Loved the car. She wants to drive it on days that you don't take it to work". She thought it handled very nice, the seats felt firm and comfortable (cloth seats), and she really likes having the audio controls on the steering wheel. My daughter felt the rear seating was roomy and comfortable.

I'll post my gas mileage figures the end of next week, in the Gas Mileage thread.
    Not even an Accord should be expected to take this kind of abuse for long. And the guy who took this video wants to know why his clutch is slipping. There should be a LAW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duNIOvauSVc
  • wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    What speeds should I drive at in my new SE Accord for this trip? Use the CC and vary the speed often?? Mostly interstate some rural and some city, will be required. The good thing is I'm heading south so that should help. The car has 778 miles on the odo and will have probably over 1000 when I leave at the end of the month. What has been your experience on a long trip with your new car?? What gas mileage have you gotten?? :) :shades:
    I heard that the 08 Accord Sedan will be fully english/metric. For instance, right now the speedometer has mph and km/h. In the 08 model, the tachometer will also show radians per second (rad/s). Any confirmation?

... /sarcasm
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    What is he doing, powershifting? (Keeping throttle wide open while changing gears)?
    What is he doing, powershifting? (Keeping throttle wide open while changing gears)?

Exactly. Poor Accord. :sick:
    1989 Honda Accord Acceleration

This is how our speed-shifting friend's Accord will likely be running in a couple of years, at that rate. Take note, the car in the video is 18 years old (probably 17 when the video was shot).
    Then these idiots come on forums like this one, and want to know why their clutch (or whatever) has gone out after only 35k miles. Then others on the forum think the car is to blame.

One young punk (on another forum) was revving his automatic, then dropping it in drive (trying to destroy it), so his parents would pay for a manual swap. This was an 04 Accord less than one year old at the time. Then the parents are upset because Honda will not cover the transmission under warranty, and tell everyone they know Honda makes crappy transmissions.
    That's pitiful. And here I am nervous about changing from reverse to drive without coming to a full and complete stop!
    Does he want to kill his car or is he just so stupid that he doesnt know how to drive a stick
    What speeds should I drive at in my new SE Accord for this trip?

I believe the manual says that you should be okay after 600 miles.
    I think he thinks he's a race car driver. Problem is race cars only have to last as long as the race (500 miles, at the most). His car may last more than 500 miles, but at this rate, it won't be breaking any longevity records.
  • neteng101neteng101 Member Posts: 176
    Drive it and enjoy it... I wouldn't worry too much about speeds and such at that point. The engine will continue to loosen up for the first couple of thousand miles.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    did anyone else notice the genius's seatbelt light is on. :0

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Ha, good catch! And not the least bit surprising, eh?
    I guess the only thing worse than not caring about your car, is not caring about your own life (or probably anyone else's life).
  • ichpokhudezhichpokhudezh Member Posts: 12
    Both seatbelt and SRS light are on so no airbags as well.
    I am finally going to get my new accord, v6, se version tomorrow. Do you think this is a good price below? Any tips on if you think I can negotiate more. I was thinking maybe seeing if I could get 500 off the vehicle price? What do you think.

Thanks!

Here is what I was quoted below from the internet department of a Honda dealership in Ohio.--
    Our Out the Door Price (OTD) with all taxes and fees is below.

Vehicle Price = $20,628
    Lien, Title, Reg., Doc. Fees = $275.50
    6.5% Sales Tax = $1,357.07
    OTD Price = "$22,260.57
    Hey redsfan. Please review SE V6 prices on http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef7c304.ef006d2 the prices paid forum.

Though I'm no expert on the V6's, people were saying $20,500 was good, but IDK if it was with destination (20.5 falls in a gray area). Invoice on that car (auto i assume?) is $21,043, so I thought you'd find $750 off if you pushed ($20,300). Not sure. My advice is to review the posts in that forum, search recently for SE V6's, and see what's been thrown around as a good price.

Good luck with your soon-to-be new car!