Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• jbl8jbl8 Member Posts: 40
    I thought that American’s standard is to start with praises and then criticisms follow. But since I said almost perfect already, let me pick out all the problems first. Plus, criticism is for improvement and for better.

What have they done with the driver seat! It must be spies from Ford, or GM, or Toyota! I have a Honda Accord LX 1998 and Accord LX 2002, both have two large knobs to adjust the driver seat, in height and tilt, of cause, another lever for recline, which is PERFECT! Alas, on the new Accord, you only have one level to adjust the seat height, not the tilt. It is really not comfort that you are only able to adjust the seat height. STUPID, why would Honda mess up with the perfect design? How much could it save to use a single level? I bet for this stupidity, thousands of less Accord sales are ensured. I learned that only on EX models you get power adjustments on both height and tile.

Well, well, as a working man’s horse, no needs for anything fancy, but functionality. I would implore Honda to put the old driver seat design back immediately. You don’t have to change the things that work perfectly for thousands of years, put your energy of improvement somewhere else!

It is too long. After I parked my car inside my garage, I found the end of the car is too close to the garage door. Now I realized that the new Accord is at least 6 inches longer than my old 2002 Accord LX. Cars are getting longer and wider (not higher though, I did not chose EX model, because of the header room infringed by moon roof), it is just a bad fad to follow. There is a size limit to anything. Not all “up-sizing” is good, like the French Fry of MacDonald. The Accord of last centaury may be a little small, but the Accord 2002 is already fairly big after the fad of “up-sizing”. Consider that most people drive the Accord for commuting during the weekdays, what’s all the space for? Even during weekend, it’s a family car, which means only kids will seat on the back not adults. You simply don’t sacrifice the needs of 99% customers, just to cater the 1% who needs more roomy backseats. “Up-sizing” that’s the “motor trend” leads demise of American cars, Honda probably shall not follow too enthusiastically.

MPG. Finally! Honda is supposed to be a economy car, besides its reliability, its the gas mileage that put its foot in American market. I believe that Honda caught in the trap of another fad – performance. Yes, I like performance, but with sense. Plus, the gas price is rising again. With the MPG of V6 Accord dips below 20 miles per gallon, Honda is digging its own grave.

Honda should be a performance car with size and fuel economy constrains: 1) At least 25 miles per gallon at city driving, V6 or I4 for Honda Accord. 2) Not that long, the backseats are for kids! Now, work on these, and make it perfect.

Leave the fad of big, muscular and thirsty to the BIG THREE, or Toyota.

Otherwise, it is perfect. The Accord SE V6 is smooth, quick, and quite. The V6 version feels better than the I4 I used to have. Not only the sporty looks, but also the sporty performance (don’t carry away here, it is a family car still), the Accord SE V6 gets 17 inch wheels and four wheel disk breaks, plus ABS, VSC, and all the air bags, enough for a family car.

There are few minor issues that most of us can live with. The rear seats are not split seats, I wonder when Honda will do that. One of the interior plastic covers fell off for missing a fastener in my new Accord. Hello, quality control dude. Colors are very limited, only silver, blue, and black were available to me. Now, that’s need improvement, consider that Honda sells almost half million Honda Accord, even fifty colors are not too many.

For the 2007 model, the SE is the right choice, V6 or I4. The Accord SE V6 is otherwise a perfect car for around $20K except the driver seat, gas mileage, and the size.

:cry:
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    I have a V6, and it is new, averaging over 24MPG. Have not done a freeway only run, but I would imagine it will do around 29 MPG. Current miles on car = 1,400 +

The seat is adjustable for height and tilt. Very comfortable. I have the SE V6.
    The width of the car is not too wide, so driving the narrow streets is not an issue. As for length, I have no problem with that so far.
    -Loren
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Ok jbl8, I have a few comments/suggestions about your post. 1.) I agree about the seats. I wish I could have the controls for my old 92 Accord seats back (it was easy and quick) the power seat is slower, and after my wife drives the car, I have to move it back before I can even get in. 2.) I also agree about the split rear seat. 3.) All the midsize cars are getting larger. If you want a car the same size as the older Accords, the Civic may be a better choice. 4.) You say Honda is like every other car maker, going for more power, instead of fuel mileage, but you bought the V6???? What's up with that? My 03 V6 gets about the same mileage in town, and better mileage on the highway than my old 4cyl. 140hp Accord did, so I'm not complaining about that (100 more horses, and better mileage).
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    If your like me and tire of seeing "fun to drive" AWD Ford fusion commercials on tv, I think honda needs AWD.

BUT!!

Honda has two available AWD systems. The tried and true VTM-4 and Sh-awd system. The cost of adding VTM-4 is probably less than Sh-awd. You'd be able to get traction to all 4 wheels when needed which is mainly the reason for AWD.

Sh-awd is a little heavier and costly and saps the off the line performance of the Acura Rl but allows the Rl to corner better than a regular FWD car.

If you had a choice, which would you pick for the next accord?

Personally, I'd go with VTM-4 as it is cheaper ($1200 more on Cr-v and $1300 more on Element) and gets the job done well. It also comes with the ability to lock the 4 wheels for an "unstuck" mode. With it, you get the same accord with about an extra 150lbs and All weather security.

-Cj
  • saleemsaleem Member Posts: 114
    AWD would be nice, but would pump up the price.

Also, there is no way Acura will share its flagship car's SH-AWD, off a $50,000 car, with a Honda that's half the price. Doesn't make any sense.

The the fusion RWD or AWD? I don't know.

But the Accord is made to be a well-handling FWD car. Making it AWD would change the character/weight balance/everything of the car
    AWD, as an option, would probably gain some buyers from up north, with traction needs. I live in the deeeeep south (snow or ice maybe once every 20 years) so the only way I would need AWD is if I decided to go mud-riding :D .
    I agree to an extent. I'd say AWD is def necessary if you want a rear-wheel biased car (G35x, 5**xi, 3**xi, etc), but also notice those are more expensive cars. Is it economical to do it on lower-priced FWDs? FWDs are pretty decent in the snow-- its RWD that are garbage.

PS - dev costs to turn a solely FWD car to option-AWD would bump a high end AWD car into G35x territory
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I want the most simple machine I can get. That means fwd. I don't need the addl complexity,weight,reduced mileage,etc. of AWD. Just my .02.
    True...

The FWD fusion has it as an option so I think honda should just put VTM-4 on other models.

The accord -Passat, Fusion/milan, and subaru have it. An AWD beats Toyota and Nissan's New models to the point.

Odyssey- AWD sienna is the only other AWD "mini" van with it now.

Tsx - Is250, 3**xi, g35x, c300, a4 quattro, and even the Mkz/milan, volvo S40/60

Tl - 5**xi, g35, (08) Cadillac Cts, E class, A6 quattro, gs350 and others

I've heard Great reviews of the AWD pilot like the long term one that couldn't get stuck in snow even without needing to lock the wheels. Heck, VTM-4 may make it a sportier drive.

Don't Throw away AWD yet as the AWD Audi RS4 beat the bmw M5 in a comparison test...

-Cj
    I agree with the weight thing, but the AWD Cr-v gets 28 highway so the accord shouldn't be much worse. Also AWD would be an option for the people in severe rain or after a night of snow. AWD for security.

Honda could only make money as I'm sure people wo want an AWD car may not want the bland fusion, or the hit-or-miss reliability VW-passat for $35k. They just get suvs or just give in and get the fusion.

-Cj ;)
  • bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    I vote with Autoboy16 on AWD, particularly using a simpler system than SH-AWD.

I also agree with Saleem that the FWD takes care of 90% of snow belt driving.

For many customers, AWD is simply a comforting feature that ensures peace of mind. For others it is a handling feature. Both are valid reasons for having additional interest in a vehicle that has AWD as an option.

Honda currently hits a huge cross-section of the population with the FWD Accord sedan, I think there is a great opportunity to clean up in the fringe interests also. Subaru would obviously be an easy target with an AWD Accord. The Accord has more space, a stronger dealer and support network and probably better MPG.

If Honda had an AWD option, a wagon option and (in 2009) the diesel option, why would anyone even look at other car-based options- the Accord would have them all covered.

Thoughts?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    How is AWD safer in the rain than FWD with stability control and traction control?

How is AWD safer in the snow than FWD with snow tires?

Drive (by definition) only helps when you are accelerating. For all the time you accelerate, you spend an equal amount decelerating. Most of the time you are just cruising along.

Now if you are a rally drive and need full power all the way around a corner then AWD is great to have, but if you are driving to work and and go around a corner too fast, then ABS, Stability etc will do their best to help you - it is counterintuitive to most people to give a car gas if they run into trouble around a turn.

As far as snow driving goes. I think stopping is much more important than accelerating. AWD does not help you stop, and stopping is what keeps you from rear ending the guy in front of you, or sliding through an intersection.

Obviously accelerating is cooler/sexier than braking, hence the emphasis on cars that are so fast and drive so many wheels. It is a marketing thing. All cars have 4 wheel braking so that cannot be marketed.
    AWD holds the road more confidently than FWD alone. Also maneuvers such as pulling out into traffic are more consistent in difficult conditions with AWD

Stability control and traction control slow wheel spin but don't help grip other than by reducing acceleration. AWD helps grip by applying the acceleration evenly, therefore you get control and speed.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Careful on the "speed" part... AWD doesn't help you slow down with control at all, that's where stability control comes in...
    But awd does help get consistent grip so that you can accelerate more smoothly and confidently. Speed is not necessarily a bad thing in difficult conditions.
    I guess by speed I should specify confident speed. I believe that acceleration, though not as important as braking, is still an important part of vehicle safety.
    Additionally, being able to maneuver at speed is critical. Not all accidents are avoided by using the brakes.
    And thats where VTM-4 comes in. VTM-4 stands for Variable Torque Management 4 4 wheels.

I'll show you the scenario with F/AWD
    With maneuvering in the rain at speed

F
    Doing double duty of maneuvering and sending power. The extra weight on the front end gives it traction in rain. But because of the double duty, The car can't maneuver easily out of the way. Plus traction control and stability control is focused on keeping the car in a straight line anyways. Its possible to do but requires an advanced driver for that situation.

RWD requires an even more advanced driver as the rear of the car could slide out...

A-Front biased* for accord
    The front wheels get the pressure from the speed, but power is sent to the rear wheels so the fronts could turn without pressure. The car turns and avoids the thing they were maneuvering more securely than FWD.

*Front biased means that during normal conditions, power is only applied to the front wheels unless you give it extra juice. That extra juice gets sent to the rear wheels and thus little or no torque steer (engine tugging the steering wheel).

-Cj :shades:
    Talking about Honda Quality, a plastic panel in my new (bought last week) Honda Accord SE V6 fell off because of a missing clip. The parts number is 90671-SDA-003ZA, costs $1.30, in case you are wondering what it is. It wasted me gallons of gas to go to the dealer and have it fixed

What a shame!

On my new Honda Pilot, the ground clearance are not even, so the car tilted to one side.

I bought Honda cars, simply because it is relatively cheap. Do you alternative to Honda Accord, anyone?

:lemon:
    wow jbl that sucks. i'd call the manager (or manager's manager) at the dealer and complain about it. the whole point of buying a new car (a Honda at that) is quality and to know its in pristine condition...
    No way you should have to deal with that.

With the Pilot, is the suspension broken on one side? I am trying to imagine what would cause a vehicle to tilt other than busted springs.
    ... were you sitting in it? :P
    I bought an Accord SEV6 because was absolutely a best value, while providing what I was looking for in a car. Got 1,400 miles on her so far, with no problems. Where is this part located which had the missing clip?

You also have gas mileage below average for this auto - interesting.

So what is the assessment of the problem with that Honda Pilot? Assuming the air in tires is equal, what is left - suspension? One or two failed shocks, or springs? We seem to have a total puzzle here.
    -Loren
  • stevehechtstevehecht Member Posts: 96
    I am also the owner of a new SE V6. Personally I don't have a problem with the driver's seat adjustment (or lack thereof) because the steering wheel telescopes and elevates/drops--but I see your point. As for mpg I drive with a lead foot and still get 23-24 in suburban driving and 26-28 on highway trips on a new engine. I agree with you about the size but only because it affects how well the car handles.

We got a great car for $20K because the Gen7 technology was developed at the turn of the century. I bought the '07 because the '08 will have lots more bells & whistles, better mileage, and the base MSRP will be at least $1-2K more than the '07 SE--with no discounts and with bugs that haven't been identified yet. As you say no car is perfect, and I don't mind coming pretty darn close for $20K. I don't think that you do either! :)
    No car is perfect. My Toyota door locks worked with the key switch. When you turned it on, the doors would lock. So I either had to wait for everyone to get in, before I turned the key. Or start the engine, then unlock the doors so they can get in. This becomes a pain after a while. I rather the Honda approach. I'll lock the doors myself when I am ready. I Don't like the automatic crap.
  • aamixyaamixy Member Posts: 69
    This is only the 2nd tank of gas for my new SE V6.
    The gas indicator shows the tank is half-empty.
    However the trip computer says the oil life is
    still 100%. The first tank of gas had no problem
    with the trip computer. Did I miss anything here?
    Yes, the oil life may still read as 100%. I am at maybe 1,500+ miles and it went down to 80%. I think it moves in 10% intervals, and at around 2,000 miles it may still be at 80% then say around 2,100 it may change again to say 70%. Anyway, somewhere around 1,000 miles it was still at 90%, give or take a few miles. Now it is 80%. I have not seen any figure in-between. Of course I could read the manual to see how it works.

Loren
  • aamixyaamixy Member Posts: 69
    Hi Loren, thanks. I checked the manual and you are right. The indicator moves in 10% intervals. So it is still too early to show 90% at early mileage.
    Indeed, it is a puzzle to me regarding the Pilot. I know it is the ground clearnce (they are short of the manufacture spec), but have no idea what causes it. Honda refused to acknowledge the problem, let alone fix it. Maybe the details should goto the Pilot forum. I guess I will trade-in when the time is right! :lemon: :lemon:

I got the Accord SEV6, only because it is $20K. There is a small triangle plastic panel under the dash, close to front passange's feet. Ths panel is fixed by a small clip. The clip was missing, and the panel fell under vibration.

I intend not to waste a gallon of gas to fix a $1 problme. Not economical, nor eviromental.

Also, I used to have a 98 Accord. The engine jetters when it is hot. I traded in last year for the new Pilot. It turns out the pilot is a lemon. :lemon:

Of the three Honda Accord I have and had, one with engine issue - serios, one with minor cosmetic issue, the other is fine. I will live with it.
    Of the Honda Pilot I have, serios structure issue.
    The record does not look promising.

Watch out when you plan to get a Honda. :( :mad:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Get a carpenters level and see how much the car tilts from one side to the other. Place it just on top of the door (bottom of window) on one side, level it up and see how much the difference is.

Obviously you must be parked on very level ground. Inside a garage would be best.
    I would not consider the little plastic panel dropping out as a major issue. Really, think about it. Did it stop the car from operating?

As for the Pilot it should be pretty simple. Measure the car on both sides from the door sill. Show them if there is one side higher than the other. Measure those on the lot for sale. If it is only your car which is tilting, how could they deny there is a problem? Can't imagine such a problem. Shocks can compress and stop working. A spring is not likely to soon wear, as in becoming weak. Hummm?

Loren
  • panzerleaderpanzerleader Member Posts: 15
    Hi, looking to change springs to H&R to lower car 3/4" front and 1/2' rear to add stability. additionally looking at front and rear strut tower braces, as well as perhaps bigger sway bars. Waiting for Koni Reds to come out. What sequence should I follow on change outs? Should do the shocks and springs first ? Or should I add the front and rear strut tower braces to see if this will get the handling i want. Also thinking of getting rid of the Michlien factory tires. Would appreciate advice. Looking totweak car a little to improve handling.
    Tkanks,
    The Colonel
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    tires are absolutely the first step. After that, I'd go to swaybars. Then springs, then braces.

That's basically the order in which you will see the greatest improvement, meaning braces give the least improvement and tires the most.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stevehechtstevehecht Member Posts: 96
    What do you know about the Koni Reds coming out for the V6? I have heard of folks using the Yellows up front and the Reds in the rear for improved handling and a softer ride.
    I got goodyear assurance comfort treads to soften the ride on my 02 V6 which rode stiffly w/ the oem michelins. Handling is not as good but comfort was more important to me. Just my .02.
  • panzerleaderpanzerleader Member Posts: 15
    Spoke with the Koni folks, all I know is that they said that the REDS would be coming out.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    Question for the current model Accord owners:

I am thinking of taking advantage of the current incentives available for the Accord. I have a concern about the comfort of the cloth and leather seats. I had an 01 SE with cloth and the seats were horrible after a few hours on a road trip.

I know mine was the previous generation, but was looking for some real world input on the cloth and leather seats in the current model. This will be our road trip car so belive it or not it is a deal breeaker kind of thing!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Check out the ex model in each material. The EX has the lumbar support feature which makes the driver's seat much more comfortable to me. I prefer the leather here in Texas (covered parking) but that's just my .02.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I find the leather seats to be quite comfortable but others have posted that they seem too firm. I have been on several 4 hour trips and they were quite comfortable.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    Thanks all.

I think we'll look at both leather and cloth. Probably a 4cyl EX and a V6 SE as that's about the price range I'm interseted in.

Seats are such a subjective deal. Some body types and driving positions just fit into cars better than others.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I'm sure you know that you will only find leather in an EX-L, I4 or V6. The EX and SE will be cloth.
    I'm 6'4" 180lbs, and have found the seats in the Honda Civic, Accord, and Odyssey (all cloth, all EX) to be VERY comfortable over long (5+ hours)trips.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Can the A/C cool the interior well even in extremely hot days with both 4 cylinder and V6 models?
    90 degrees is not that hot. How about 110?
    Well, I've done heat indices of 110 here in Alabama (85% humidity on a 93 degree day makes breathing difficult). In my 2006 Accord (4-cylinder EX cloth) getting the temperature and humidity down quickly has never been a problem. Even with parking in the sun on a mid-90s day, I can typically turn the fan speed down after only a few minutes.

Ok, it isn't 110 degrees, but I'm confident the interior has been over 110 lots of times when I've turned on the A/C. Of course, having remote controlled windows from the key-fob helps to ventilate the car a bit before I get there, lowering the temperature to at least bearable levels before I ever crank the car!
    South Texas summer- the car (V6 Ex-l) cooled down just fine. The worst part was the metal top of the stick shift which would get extremely hot and stay extremely hot.

BTW, the ex has a nifty feature where you can roll down all the windows by keeping the unlock button down while you walk to the car. It may not seem like much but as soon as the windows open up that first blast of super heated air gets blown out- big difference.
    BTW, the ex has a nifty feature where you can roll down all the windows by keeping the unlock button down while you walk to the car. It may not seem like much but as soon as the windows open up that first blast of super heated air gets blown out- big difference.

I think this is available on all models, not just the EX. Can someone confirm? I know it is on my EX cloth. It is a VERY nice thing to have here in the south.
    It's even a nice thing to have here in the pacific NW. :shades:
    If your car sits in the sun then you need one of those folding reflective cardboard thingies to put over your dash on the inside of the windshield. Crack 1 or both rear windows at your discretion. My 02 exl V6 will not lower windows w/ the remote.
    My 02 exl V6 will not lower windows w/ the remote.

This feature debuted on the 2003 Accords. It is now available on the Odyssey (maybe others, but not Civic I know) as well. I presume the Pilot and Ridgeline would offer this, but I do not know for sure.
    Thanks. Nice "little" feature,wish I had it.
  • deekzdeekz Member Posts: 9
    "I think this is available on all models, not just the EX. Can someone confirm? I know it is on my EX cloth. It is a VERY nice thing to have here in the south."

To the graduate: My 07 V6 SE Sedan also rolls down all the windows if you hold down the unlock button. Cool feature indeed!

I like my car thus far, but don't like the slight lag in the transmission at highways speeds. It takes a bit too long to downshift when I accelerate to move into a faster lane. Maybe I am just spoiled with my previous stick shift vehicles. Yet, I can't be the only one with this minor complaint because I have been caught flatfooted before in such situations, and it is not pleasant. The V6 does accelerate quickly once the tranny downshifts though...but it just takes too long IMHO. This is not a deal breaker, however, as I now adjust my driving style to the car.
    That is very interesting, as Honda has one of the best automatics in the midsize crowd (and I've read this in enthusiast magazines reinforcing my thought). I actually feel like my transmission is too QUICK to downshift, but I'm used to the 4-speed in my 1996 Accord LX. Rather than letting torque do the pulling, it will just downshift on hills out of 5th quite readily.

I guess the tranny is a good compromise for you and me :)

Enjoy the V6, and thanks for the info about the windows on your SE!