Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Honda Accords

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Honda Accord 3
topic. Those of you joining us from that topic are
welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Thanks for the official PR stuff on the 2001 car; if there is really a noticeable difference in road noise [as they claim], then they've got me - I'll be ready to spring for a new one, probably an EXV6 sedan, though the new equipment and trim on the LXV6 means it would work for me just as well. [Problem is they seem to build 20 EXs for every 1 LX when it comes to the 6 cyl cars.] Anyway, thanks for the update.
  • howie99mnhowie99mn Member Posts: 20
    The sedan accord pictures on this site look like the 2000. Anyway, sound like accord engineers are listening to criticism on this site.
    The pictures of both the sedan and coupe clearly show the changes they describe, at least regards the front end and the wheels, which is all we can see. And the Ruby Pearl color on the sedan is new to the EX for this year, as well. You can see the changes in the sedan's grill, hood, and bumper fascia. I like what I see, and even more the description of the interior changes, including making the CD player std in the LX, and the combo cassette and 6-CD changer standard in the EX. Assuming they restrain themselves on price increases, say no more than $300-500, and there really are noticeable differences in road noise, it sounds like nothing but good news...
  • guttermouthguttermouth Member Posts: 10
    I would like a good first car under $8,000 and newer than '89. If its possible I'd like something sporty like a coupe. Please give me an idea what model year to look for and how much.
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    This is very populat topic along with several others. Because of this reason, we are always at the end of the list. We can not even get the first page easly. At the other side so many slow moving topics are occupying the front page and since I started to read this site (almost two years) they are still there like Stratus, Kia etc.
    Why Edmund's does not give first page to topics with high volume postings. Just an idea but I believe there are many others think like this.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    ...click on Last Post at the top of the column of dates. This will sort the topics by order of last post, descending, keeping the most frequented and popular topics at the top of the list. The default sort order is by topic number ascending. I've suggested that we change it. Maybe they will, some day...

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
  • reda2reda2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, I have a question for the owners of Accord with ABS ( SE, EX ), I own an SE and I hear a noise when I move the car after been parked, like a steering wheel leak or something, I took it to the dealer and they told me that it's a normal noise and that was the ABS pump pressure or module, I am no sure what he said, but he told me when I'll bring the car for the 35000 miles service, to have someone look at it, well I am asking my self if he says it's a normal noise (which I don't think it is) why would he say to have someone look at it? are they trying to save money or what??? Does any body have this problem? Any comments will be appreciate.
    Thanks

Reda
  • jthukraljthukral Member Posts: 17
    ABS works on pressure applied on brakes. When u apply pressure as in case of panic braking, ABS will come into picture and you will hear a peculiar kind of sound. If you are coming to a stop at signal and release brake slightly u can hear some sound which is of ABS. SO I guess it should be normal as ABS does makes sounds when presuure is applied and some how you seems to be doing this.
    When firing up the car after shutdown, the ABS system is "tested and cycled" by the electronics. All Honda products with ABS have this characteristic - all of the Acura boards have addressed this noise at one time or another. Sounds to me that the techs are probably right, but diagnosing noises by internet is by definition not possible...
    Thanks for the info guys, jthukral I hear the noise only when I start and accelerate and turn the wheels after been parked, the first time I thought it was the power steering but like I said it's the ABS,,,and jrt I've been driven a 2.3 acura cl ( 1999) and it has the same engine as the accord I am not sure a bout the rest of the parts but I never heard this sound.
    I am wondering...:)

Reda
    As I said, can't do these kinds of diagnoses from the keyboard. You need to try at least one more service dept, and preferably demonstrate with someone else in the car...it's just too hard to make sense of this stuff without hearing it personally...could be CVs, powersteering pump, ???
  • gwill3gwill3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar probrolem with my V6 accord 2000. I can hear a noise when I turn the steering wheel after the car been parked.
  • gwill3gwill3 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 2000 Accord Ex V6 less than a
    month ago, but I already experienced so many problems.

1. with in less than 8 days, the car's ABS fuse got blown up twice when I started the engine! The symptom is that I could not move the shifter out of the parking position. I have to use the mergency keyhole to move the shifter to Neutral, start the engine, and then shift to reverse or drive -- however, ABS won't work and the tail light is not working either when driving in this mode. I went to the dealer, and they suspect a defected brake light switch, which I strongly doubt about! Does anyone else who owns a V6 accord experiences the same problem? is this some kind of design flaw?

2. High pitch noise from passenger side when driving at speed >60m/h. During a humid and hot day, this problem goes away.

I brought the car to the service dept today, and I will see what they about the problem. If you have similar problems before, please share your experience with us ... Thanks.
    Gwill what did the dealer say about the noise you hear (ABS), they told me it was the module of the abs pump (something like that). please keep us posted with your problems.

Reda
    Actually, the diagnosis of a bad brakelight switch sounds right on, to me. It's most certainly not a "design flaw", just one of those luck-of-the-draw problems that happen with mass-produced products. Give them a chance to repair it.
    Well, as jrct said we can't really diagnose noise without driving your vehicle. I suggest u, few things, try to drive some other accord with ABS and see how they behave. Also if ur noise is reproducable u can go to some other dealer.

If case the dealer still fails to acknowledge , u can drive any of his car from the lot to prove ur point.

Hope this helps.
  • yllibyllib Member Posts: 8
    I got an email yesterday from Autobytel about a recall for the 2000 Accord. The recall is for an arm of the suspension that may be welded incorrectly and break. I haven't received anything from Honda about this recall. Has anyone heard anything about this recall? Is it affecting all 2000 Accords or only ones with a certain build date? The information I have learned is most cars are fine but they can't tell without looking at the car.
  • disp350disp350 Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone aware of why Honda seems to be giving away Accord SE's? I just got a new one myself and the lease price advertised was $225 for 39 months, 12k per year and $1500 down (I actually got a better deal than that). This special deal applied only to the Accord SE. They would not match it on any other Honda vehicle, including the CRV LX, which had a sticker price of almost $800 lower than the SE.
    Auburn63,

Where did you find that recall information? Thanks
    Thanks Auburn63,

Luckily, my Accord does not fall in that range. I'll post any other information I find out about this recall.
    As the name suggests its a sp Edition and it usually comes every 3-4 yr or so, not a regular stuff. My guess is that have an extra inventory of the SE and they want to get rid of it this year bcos next yr its not going to be there in their site or advt.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    I am a Honda tech and have been for 17years and just happened to have a copy of that bulletin at the house..Glad to pass on the info so your welcome.
  • raprider1raprider1 Member Posts: 1
    driving my new accord ex-v6 coupe home from dealer-land yesterday with a huge grin on. punching the gas and living every horse in it.
    wait, whats that rattle sound when i move right to left? i dont here it when i move left to right. huh, there it goes again.......think i need to bring it back.....damn.......go to change tunes, whhen i notice my cd's are rattled around in armrest holder. hmmmmm. problem. solved.

rap
    ride safe, y'all ;)
  • rgistrgist Member Posts: 8
    Where are pictures of the 2001 Honda Accord.
    I heard that the EXV-6 model will finally get the 4 way power passenger seat, and traction control.
    Thanks in advance.
  • mdamesmdames Member Posts: 79
    Concerning the recall, what is an Accord L4? I have a 2000 EX V6 Sedan. My VIN does fall within the range stated for EX's. My question is: is my car an L4?

Also: On my first tank of gas, some freeway, some street driving with A/C on. I got 17.7 mpg. I drove the car very conservatively. Is this the expected mpg or should it be better?

Thanks
    L4 is 4 cyl accord or one with 2.3 L engine.
    Mileage with improve once u cross the breakin period.
    http://www.vtec.net/news/items/437.html

Site wasn't up when I last looked, but this is where both the pictures and description of the changes were located...
  • broncodavebroncodave Member Posts: 26
    I am having the recall done on my Accord EX tomorrow. I will reply back on how it went and if any problem was found.
  • castagerecastagere Member Posts: 15
    I have a question for Auburn63 or anyone else in the know. My question is, are the Accord V-6 and L4 models still experiencing problems with the tranny(i.e. the clunk)? If so is there a way to tell which ones? I recently test drove an LX V-6 automatic and heard the clunk while moving in reverse. I didn't hear any wind noise and other than the tranny sound, the ride was very nice. I'm at the point where I don't know if I should choose the Solara SE V6. I love the look of the Accord coupes but after reading post after post about all of the problems the auto tranny I'm now in limbo. Do you think the tranny problem has been resolved for the 2001 Accords. I guess I can wait if I know that the defect has been fixed. Thanks.
    I'm tempted to tell you to go back and read all of the archived posts on this topic [some of us are getting really tired of how this keeps coming up], but to keep it short, the transmissions were only a problem on the V6s, and only for a short time in the latter part of 1999 and early 2000 production. Anything made after about April of this year is not a problem, and most before that weren't either, as far as that goes. Try an EX V6 - the cost isn't much more [they routinely sell for less than $23k, no matter what the sticker shows] - there are more of them out there from which to choose, as they are much more common than the LX.

Secondly, don't go to the Solara expecting to be insulated from possible problems - current hits include suspension and alignment troubles, and a pending recall on some cars for rear hub carrier assemblies...see, no manufacturer gets all of them right all of the time...

The Accord will be more responsive and better handling, the Solara a bit quieter and softer riding. The Accord is actually roomier inside and in the trunk...otherwise, there is little to choose here. Just don't deceive yourself that Toyota is somehow more bulletproof than Honda - it simply isn't the case.
    BroncoDave,

Did Honda send you a letter about the recall or did you find out about it on the internet? If you did receive word from Honda, did it come from your dealer or Honda's Corporate office? The reason I ask is my dealer thus far seems pretty incompetent so it wouldn't surprise me if they don't notify me on this either.

The dealer never called me to tell me about picking up my plates. On my third call, the woman at the dealer told me they had been there for 4 days(by now the temp tags had expired). I picked them up the next day, five days after I pick them up, my salesman calls and leaves a message on my machine telling me my plates were in! Totally clueless.
    The trans problem has for the most part been cured in most of the 2000 and for sure for the 2001.I have only heard the noise in 6 cylynders and it is very loud. It is not the very normal engagement click.We have slowed down to almost a stop with seeing the trans problem.There are probably a few still hanging around somewhere so maybe waiting for a 2001 wouldnt be a bad idea.However I think a march or later production 2000 would be ok also..But always road test for several miles and go with your gut feelings when buying... good luck
    ...all notices for recalls are computer-generated from the corporate system in Torrance, and mailed directly to the address of record for the owner. The dealers are completely uninvolved with the actual notice - but they, of course, have to have the parts and are the ones doing the work. The Tech Service Bulletin issued to the dealers that describes the work to be done can be accessed by any service dept by computer, so if you are having some kind of anxiety about this, you can ask the system if your car's VIN is included in the recall. The NHTSA's web site will also reveal both TSBs and recall notices, but sometimes with considerable time lag after the actual fact.

Anyway, dealers are frequently clueless unless you take the initiative. When it comes to recalls, however, it is Honda USA that calls the shots and manages the data, not the dealers. Whenever word hits the airwaves about any recall from any manufacturer, there seems to be a lot of useless running in circles by people whose cars are not actually involved...wait for the notice to come in the mail before doing anything else.
    The notice came directly from Honda USA. I ran into the same incompetence from the dealer we purchased my wife's Accord from. We love the car (our 2nd Accord in the past 6 months) but we wish we had pruchased from a different dealer. The good news is that I ripped the dealer in the survey. If Honda pays attention to the survey it is a very good way to express your displeasure.

Anyone know to what extent Honda pays attention to the survey's?
  • hondaaccessoryhondaaccessory Member Posts: 74
    The last dealer I worked at complained that they were getting too many of the SE's in to sell. My guess is that Honda overestimated the demand so they have a lot of them to unload.

BTW, that sounds like a great lease on one. If I didn't drive so many miles every day I'd go for a deal like that.

-Trevor
    www.Honda-Accessories.com
    I was just seeing your profile, pretty bitter about GM, uuh, what happened ?
    You bet I am. I will never own another one of their junk cars. I guess that is why we have 2 Accords in the garage now instead of a Grand Prix and a Sunfire. Not only do their cars stink but they don't know crap about customer service. If you buy a GM you better buy two--one to tear up and one to drive to the shop.

Here are some good links about my story (I have published many times):

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/gm_pontiac.html

http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/browse/view_article.gsp?c_id=119401

I also posted my complete letters to GM on the Grand Prix at: See posts 59 & 70

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=Sedans&f=0&t=3449&q=0-
    jrct9454,
    Thanks for the information. I have been reading most of the posts since early May. But I wasn't sure on the production dates of the problem cars. I had forgotten to look for the prod. date in the door jam of the car. I am just surprised at how many problems i've heard about the Accord. Currently I own a 99 Civic EX but have come to realize that's it's just too small. But it is an oustanding car otherwise and I have not had one problem since buying it back in Aug. 99. As far as roominess, the Civic interior numbers are very similar to the Accord, we're talking coupes here. The headroom in the Civic EX coupe is the only real sticking point for me. The Accord EX coupe is nice but I'm still close on the headroom department.

Going back to the dealer rant, he seemed surprised that the car had the problem. I find it hard to believe that he had never had any complaints and that the coupe I test drove was the only one he had heard of that had the problem tranny.

Auburn63,
    I think I will wait on the 2001's. I went to the vtec website and it seems like they've address at least the wind noise problems. Thanks for the help.
    Amen to GM crap. I just read your bio also. I still own, as a 2nd car/POS, a 89 Grand Prix. It is only rated as one of the worst cars you could ever own EVER!!!!! That's the reason i jumped to the Honda side of things. I refuse to buy another GM product after that experience. Everything that could fail has failed. There's a pending lawsuit on the fine brakes as well. Guess I'll recoop some of my losses.
    Those surveys are very important to Honda and to most of the dealers.They can determine how many cars are allocated to the dealer.Most dealers even pay incentives and or base your raise on them.We have to keep a 90% or higher in order to get our bonus for the month so we try about as hard as possible to make people happy..
  • vinneyvinney Member Posts: 43
    hello, I have a 2000 lx 4cyl accord automatic trans. The other day I had to floor it to pass a car with the a/c running. my question is does the compressor shut off during hard accelaration and does this hurt the a/c system at all? does the engine cut off if you reach redline? also,can you lubricate the window channels with silicone spray? some windows roll up faster than others.
    This is a great running car much better than the chevy malibu I traded in for! thanks (vinney)
    I had the recall done on the Accord yesterday. They found nothing was wrong with the welding.

Auburn63--Thanks for the info. on the survey. I think I have found another dealer other than where we purchased the 2nd Accord from to do work on our cars. Our main problem centered around our sale rep. not returning our phone calls over about a 4 day period. I finally had to call the sales manager. It was like once they got our money that was it. Thanks again.
    For me it wasn't so much about everything that went wrong with it. It was more about how GM and the dealer acted. If a car breaks I expect both the dealer and the manufacter to be fair. GM wouldn't even listen. In fact the dealer told me "well you got 52K on the car, what do you expect?" I guess that says a lot about how they build their cars.
    No, the AC does not cut off during hard acceleration - only cars I know of that are equipped to do that are police package domestics. Yes, the engine has a rev-limiter to keep it from being lunched - rather higher than 6000 rpm on a VTEC, but it is there. And yes, apply the spray to a rag or paper towel, and then use it on the rubbers - this also works on door and sunroof seals to eliminate creaking and squeaking noises. But don't try to spray it on directly - too messy - use a towel or rag.
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    I also blasted my dealer in my survey. Gave up some free oil changes in order to do this. I sent the survey in early June, no response yet.

Too bad I bought the SE in May, the price seems lower now. And the stock I sold to pay for the car has gone up 4 points.

Norm
    Having the right sales rep and dealership can make a big difference. I have a question about the design of the Accord coupes. Is there a reason why there isn't door guard strips running the side of the coupes. The car as far as appearanceis really sharp but after getting a few door dings on my Civic I realize their importance. The dealer I talked to said it was a dealer intalled option but I'm guessing it probably looks like crap. Seems like every other Honda has this incorporated into the car. I myself think it adds to the contour and shape of the car as well as protecting it.
  • hondaaccessoryhondaaccessory Member Posts: 74
    the Honda option for it looks like:

I looked for one on the lot to get a 'real' picture but didn't see one with the trim on it.

-Trevor
    www.honda-accessories.com
    Thanks for posting the pic. Any idea what the dealer asking price is for the option?
    Jrct is mostly correct about the windows but the a/c compressor will and does shut of on hard accel or atleast has in the past years. I will double check tomorrow but they have done that for a while now so I can't see them changing that option.Also, although I have been known to use a silicone based spray it is best to use Shin-Etsu greese on Honda's seals and gaskets.It comes in a tube and can be applied by acid brush and or finger/rag.Then work the window up and down to carry the lube down the track.
    Well I read all their letter etc its really bad that they hv lost a loyal GM customer, in fact more bcos now u r never going to suggest GM to any of ur friends.

No wonder GM is gradually losing its mkt share.
    And to increase their reputation now they are giving ponatic with 50K/5yr warranty.