Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    I think one sits higher in the new Accord, so there might actually be more usable leg room in the rear, even though the specs may say less. I remember an article about the new Corolla that said rear leg room had been reduced; in reality, it was a big increase from the older Corolla because of the higher seating position.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Isn't the new one due in the beginning of next year? Also, from my own observations, many people STILL do not realize that Acura and Honda are related!!!! I was up my aunt's house the other day, and a friend pulled up in her Acura TL (The first Gen model.) My aunt goes on and on about how luxurious the car is, how nice it rides, how smooth it feels. I then tell her, it's just a Honda with a Acura badge on it. The woman didn't even know they were associated with one another. Most people looking for Acuras anyway don't care about outright performance, unless they get the Type-S models. The Acura TL is more luxury oriented with a sporty ride, people who mostly consider the Accord have already brought one before, or just want a nice overall family car, the Acura crowd want a little more luxury. The TL will still probably hold more luxury than even the EXV6.

BTW, I love the way the sides of the new Accord look, I can deal with the rear end I guess.

Also, just so everyone knows. MY mother is a BIG fan of Honda. She has had 2 Honda Accords, 1 Honda Civic, and 1 Honda Passport(I tried to keep her from getting it) This new Accord does not impress her for some reason. She, like my late Grandmother LOVED the 1990-1993 4th generation design. It was timeless and still looks good today. My grandmother did like the current generation though, and she owned MY 1985 and 1991 Accords. I own bought of them now.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Has been back to the dealer 3x over the last 2 years otherwise its been ok. Took it on a long road trip into a warm region and with A/C running achieved 38MPG!@ no joke. Cruising at 75mph. The only complaint I have is there is no "fun factor" in driving this car. The Accord is reliable/solid but also boring.. Would I buy another one or recommend it to another person? Sure. But next time its going to be an EX-V6..
  • wolverine_xwolverine_x Member Posts: 54
    By what I am seeing so far of what's posted, I think the 2003 accord will be a winner as usual. I like the posted pics of the interior though incomplete. Thanks to beach for sharing.

I am smelling record-high sales for the accord. It may not be on the first year but on the following years. I am almost confident to say that it will definitely be a bestseller.

Enjoy!
  • wolverine_xwolverine_x Member Posts: 54
    Guys who need to upgrade the Audio system on the new accord I think will have a difficult time on doing it. Take notice that the fascia of the audio system is integrated with the whole stack. Much like the Mazda6.
  • vwmonsoonvwmonsoon Member Posts: 16
    I think the center stack of the 2003 Accord will be rather confusing to use because the controls for the audio and climate control are very close and similar. It looks very nice and hi-tech, but we'll have to see if it's user-friendly like previous Accords.
  • brillo_adbrillo_ad Member Posts: 8
    I decided to check back with the dealers who told me that the Accord 4 cyl would have 175 HP and they reiterated that’s what they were told by their respective Honda Reps. I did sort of an informal poll of all the Houston Honda dealers, and those that seemed (for what its worth) to know some info all agreed it would be in the approx. 180 HP range +/- 5. For [non-permissible content removed] and grins, I also called the closest dealer in Ohio to the Honda manufacturing facility in Marysville, and they also stated that it would be in the 180 HP range. The more I think about it, it seems kinda funny that Honda would have a 80 HP difference between the 4 and 6 cyl. currently there is 50, but 80 seems to high. I think the numbers in this mag are more conjecture than fact. if it is 160 for the 4 cyl, I'm thinking the v6 will be more in the 215 range. there may be a 240 HP version for the 2 door later on. Again, I'm obviously speculating, but since there seems to be some honest disagreement I think there’s still hope that the 4 cyl will put out a little more power. Anyone who works for a Honda dealership on this board, what have your guys heard?
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    but it's too late, I already bought a '02. Oh well, maybe I'll trade mine in a few years. One good thing about the rear is that when you park a '02 next to a '03, you'll know they're related. The '03's taillights look like cropped '02 tails, so the resemblance is definitely there but the rest of the car looks quite different.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    Honda had to increase the HP with the V6 to keep up with the Altima. I don't think the magazine is wrong with the HP number. The 4 cylinder number could be higher , we'll have to wait for the big 3 car magazines in the first week of August to confirm the HP number for the 4.

The new Accord looks good from the side, the rear could be a little better but I have a feeling that it will grow on most of us. I think that the interior will look even better than the exterior. I wonder if Toyota will respond with changes to the 03 Camry ( 5 speed auto, more HP with the V6, etc. )
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    maxamillion- I don't remember where I heard this, but supposedly 80% of the people do not now that Honda and Acura are related. Even worse, they thought that Honda and Hyundai were the same company.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    I thought your aunt is a car salesperson. She doesn't know Honda and Acura are related!?!?
    Honda seems to want to differentiate the coupe as a performance model, so it wouldn't be surprising that the coupe, but only the coupe, will have 240 hp. The sedan may have 215 - 220, and the 4 around 160 +/- 5. This way the accord would not overlap the TL/CL in power. And I would tend to believe 160 for the 4 rather than 180. Honda traditionally does not bump up power by that much. And if the new CR-V only has 160, how likely would the Accord to have 180.
    If you look closely at the picture of the center stack, you can see a button marked "DUAL" next to the "OFF" button on the climate control panel right underneath the nav system. Above that there are also two temperature knobs. It seems that the Accord will be the only foreign car in its class to have it. I say foreign because some domestics already have it.
    It's possible for the Accord to have 160hp for the DX model and 180 for the LX.

And I still haven't forgotten that Honda guy saying "240 isn't enough"...I think the Accord coupe will be even stronger.
    I am thinking the way Diploid is thinking. Honda has always had different power ratings for certain models. The 4th gen. Accord DX and LX has less power than the EX. Same with the 5th gen models. In the 6th gen. Accord, the DX had 135 and the LX and EX had 150, that's a 15 horsepower difference. 20 hp wouldn't be much of a difference. So I could see Honda offering the DX with 160 hp, while the EX and LX get 180.

Bodydouble,

I forgot to mention that this particular aunt is my great aunt, she is 68 years old! Go figure!

Also I have had many many people tell me that Hyundai and Honda are related. My slow Grandfather is quick to argue that they are related because the names sound so similar. That old man thinks that the Accord has an optional V8!!! Now that is FUNNY! And Accord EXV8! He claims that only a few of them are made, and this fool has stocks and bonds!

I am going to go to the Honda dealership on Monday after I get off work. I will talk with my aunt and the GM at the Honda Store where she works, I will try to get ANY info I can on the new Accord, he might not show me any info though. I hope he does. I am interested in either the Accord EX or EX with Leather. The EXV6's rims look nice, I probably make them switch the rims. The White Accord is the EXI4, and those rims are ugly to me.
    While I think 180 sounds high, 170/175 seems reasonable, since the current model DX is 135 and the LX/EX is 150. I didn’t think it would take much to bump the horse power up 10-15 HP. The K series is a very tunable engine. I've heard that with minimal moding (i.e. Exhaust and Air Intake) people have been able to do some ECU tuning to the RSX that is incredible. Granted they aren't the same engine, but they are in the same family. I just have a hard time believing they would just slap the CRV engine in and call it a day. Any like I said earlier, my sources seem pretty adamant that the I-4 is 175
  • ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    The artical notes that the wheelbase was streched about an inch, with additional legroom in front. The new car is only 0.2 of an inch taller than the current car, so its not Focus or Corolla like. Trunk room didn't grow either(which means the reuse of elbow hinges really bites), so that inch of space is in the passenger compartment somewhere. This is probably aimed at compaints of taller people who can't get behind the wheel. The telescoping wheel will also help this. For us average sized people, it probably means more room for the rear seat rider. The extra inch of width will also help a situation like ours with a child seat in the center rear position, which cramps the outboard passenger...

The specs in the magazine are identified as being for the DX model. Lets hope the LX and EX get 170-180hp...

As for Acura/Honda, one needs only look at the window glass on your Acura to know the parent company is Honda. Its labeled on EVERY window!
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    About asking dealers and salesmen about the forthcoming Accord:

My experience is that salesmen know less than most people who are even remotely interested in cars, and are usually full of no information or misinformation. All they want to do is move the product on the showroom floor. I think manufacturers play a part in keeping salesmen uninformed about future products so they'll just concentrate on what they've got right now.

Of course, with the new product right around the corner, salesmen may be slightly less ignorant than usual, but I wouldn't put much faith in the accuracy of their predictions.
    You make a good point, which is why I always take what dealers say with a grain of salt. Most dealers in Houston actually admitted to me that they had no info on the 2003 Accord, and were honest about being kept in the dark.The few that had info only had bits and pieces, but seemed pretty confident about there source. Given were only a few weeks away from launch, I don't thin its unreasonable that they would know a little. Thats why I also called a dealer near the Marysville Ohio production plant, figured there were probably Honda production personal that know the dealer personal as they are such a large employer in the area, thus a good source for leaks. Vtec.net has some interesting photoshops of the front end of the most recent white body spy pics that are suppose to be very accurate is anyone wants to see the front sans bra.
  • jjmanjjman Member Posts: 77
    no one seems to want to talk about this!! this is probably why it gets such better gas mileage. Too bad it probably won't have any manual capabilities, but just 5 speeds alone should make the car much smoother. Say hi to more sales records and wins
  • minesquireminesquire Member Posts: 5
    I know this sounds a silly question but is it common for the accord to roll down a 25% grade when you put your foot off the gas in the drive gear? i have another car and it doesn't do that.
  • jjmanjjman Member Posts: 77
    my 98 accord does it all the time, you just have to keep your foot on the brakes
    thanks jjman - is your 98 accord an automatic?
    its a bit disconcerting because i thought only stick shifts acted like that....
    Every automatic I've driven does that on an incline. Especially with deeper inclines, I find myself tapping the gas to stay in place.
    its a completely new experience for me because my car (a V6) doesn't do that. it rocks back a few inches and then stops. but my wife's new accord literally rolls back if you take your foot off the brake. does anyone know if that's related to the horsepower?
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    No AT transmissions should do that. Neither my V6 (not a Honda) does that nor my previous AT cars.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    ...car with an automatic that could defy the laws of gravity.

If the hill is steep enough, it will roll back.

Only so much power gets through to the drive wheels, and if that isn't more power than gravity is exerting, the car will roll back.

And how much power gets to the drive wheels varies, for different cars - different transmission setup, different motors, different rolling resistance.

I've seen this question on these boards several times. Most of the times noone answers, because the answer is so obvious.
    bolivar, thanks for the response. i know its a bit of a silly question but i only asked because the difference between my car and my wife's car was so startling. is it that honda's are particularly bad with "rolling resistance"? i just wanted to make sure it wasn't an "issue" with the car that needed to be fixed because it could roll back into the car behind you if you weren't careful (you would expect a manual transi to have such a roll but not an automatic)
    I have a '02 V6. Mine rolls forward, actually, when I'm backing out of my driveway (which is probably a 25 degree incline)and I let off the gas. This is new to me because my last car, a '91 Acura Legend, had so much torque at 1000rpm(warm-up revs)that it could easily back itself out of my driveway at nearly 5mph. IIRC, the Legend's 3.2 made more than 160lb.ft. at 1k rpm and topped 200 before 3k rpm. I miss the Legend's torque but, I do like the Accords gas mileage a lot better.
    Both of my Honda Accords, the 1991 EX and the 1992 DX both roll back on steep hills. They have always done that. I do find that the Accord EX rolls less than the DX though. Both are unfortunately automatics
    well, congratulations on winning the British Open. I guess you can now afford something a whole lot better than the Accord. :)
  • crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    My rotors were turned at 33k on my '01 Accord EX
  • inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    The 5 speed LX for $15,600 sounds right. I have seen lots of LX autos in the $16,300 to $16,500 range. Good deals.
    INKY
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I wonder if ABS will be available on the LX 5-speed for 2003. Right now you have to buy an EX if you want ABS. Don't want an EX because the sunroof takes up too much headroom.

Any speculation or knowledge on the subject.
  • crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    I've got an 01 Accord EX sedan with the sunroof, and it has plenty of headroom. I'm 6'4" tall. The seat has a power height adjustment - with it cranked up, your head might touch, but otherwise it's fine!
  • splitoesplitoe Member Posts: 19
    It takes torque to fight the roll-back, not the horsepower. V6 has more torque than 4-bangers, and American cars normally have more torque to stop the roll-back when park in the driveway than Hondas, which engines are tuned for more horsepower than torque. My 4-cynlinder Accord rolls back on the driveway, but not my Chevy Blazer and MB E320.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Just to let you know, those are my pics and I already posted the links here on Friday when I put them up.

Good try, anyway!
    I would sue for copyright infringement! :)
    beach- Your page is being linked where there's talk of the Accord!
    Be prepared to see all kinds of info on the Accord this comming Monday. Autoweek will probably post a review or short drive of the car on their website, which is updated every Monday morning. Also, Motortrend, Car and Driver and Road and Track will probably all have a short review on the new Accord. Should be VERY interesting to see what happens.

Also I didn't get to go over to the Honda store where my aunt works today. I will try again tommorrow. Hopefully when my mom gets back from Mexico we can go over and talk with the GM, hopefully he will have just a little info on the car. I am definately interested in another Accord, they are good cars. I washed my 1992 Accord up Saturday morning, and the car looks just as good today as it did in May of 1992 when my mother brought it. Hondas styling may be bland, but it is timeless, unlike some cars. My 1991 Accord EX has lost it's transmission, so I might be in the market for a 2003 model, if I don't get the new 6 or Altima 2.5S. Hopefully by the time I am ready to put the 1992 DX in the shop Dick Brooks Honda in Greer, South Carolina will give us a 2003 Accord LX or EX as a rental. They usually always give us either an Accord or Civic to drive for the weekend. The service guy named Tom is one of the coolest service people my family has dealt with. ANY honda we buy will come from Dick Brooks Honda in Greer, SC. I love that dealership! Unlike the one my aunt works for, but I won't mention it's name. Maybe I'll just drive to Greer one afternoon when I am off, and then I'll check up with Tom and see if he knows anything new about the Accord.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I didn't expect Honda to bump up the V6 power to 240 HP! This is definitely the most aggressive engine in an American Accord yet. How did they do it?
    Well, Honda had a 2.5 liter V6 (de-stroked version of the Accord 3.0/V6) back in 1999 delivering 200 HP. Next debut of the architecture was in the form of 3.2 liter V6 (260 HP) with CL-S launch. With MDX, the engine was slightly detuned with lower compression and to develop power at low rpm, but displacing 3.5 liters to get 240 HP.
    Odyssey (and most recently, Pilot) got a another version of the MDX 3.5 to deliver same, 240 HP, but using regular gasoline.

It was a matter of time Accord got that architecture, hence 240 HP. I can bet it is also optimized to deliver 240 HP using regular gasoline.

240 HP is probably more than I would ever need, I would be about as happy with the car as it looks, even with 200 HP. The center console looks inviting, and quite a departure from older Hondas. I hope that does not translate into poorer layout, just like many European cars end up having. I love the symmetry and simplicity in my '98 EX. Everything is in the right place.

Interesting touches that I gather from the AutoWorld article,
    * 5-speed auto for both I4 and V6. I4 also gets 5-speed manual. 5-speed auto, if the same transmission used in TL/MDX/Odyssey/Pilot, is a nice move. Also, it is shorter than the current 4-speed auto in first two gears, and has a taller final gear, meaning, adding to the punch that the engine already has on top of last gen. If the K24A (the I4) is mated to the same 5-speed auto as in base RSX, it is even shorter (12.25:1 first gear overall drive ratio).
    * 6-speed manual for V6, possibly only with coupe. This 6-speed could be the same transmission that Honda offered in CL-S. Now, this could be the Prelude replacement Honda promised in 2003. 17" wheels on an American Honda may be the beginning of good things. I've driven an Accord with stock with 17" wheels before, and if it is anything like it, be prepared to take a long drive. Yes, I'm talking about Accord Type-R (Europe).
    * Continues to have in-dash CD changer/Cassette.
    * The inside fold over the hood ending up as a wide grill reminds me of my 1999 Prelude, except that the shape is now five-pointed instead of being recangular. Honda seems to have been reviving its inside-fold on hood styling from late 80s lately. It started with last Prelude, and continued into S2000 and RSX. This also means the car maintains its low and wide profile, unlike bulky looking front end on many of its competitors.
    * The side crease now does not run through the door locks or parallel to it, but slides down to the front to give a wedgier accent (similar to IS300 which looked like Accord sedan to me in the first place).
    * The aggressiveness from the side sill is gone. It is plain and simple, but an S2000 like cutout appears where the door meets the side sill.
    * The rear is a revival of early 90s Civic sedan (93-95?). Another interesting point I noted is that Honda has been alternating between full width tail lamp and those at the ends.
    89-91; 98-02: Have had full width taillamp
    92-93; 94-97: At the ends
    What about 03? It is almost full width, so it is possible that the next Accord will have it at the ends only. Interesting to see how Honda fiddles with its basic styling theme.
    * Gain in wheelbase by an inch. It might be 108.1" now (same as current TL). And overall length, and width and front profile has not changed (it does not look like Honda has used cab-forward theme of Civic/RSX in Accord). And with a platform to support 240 HP (260 HP or more for next TL), it is likely that Honda has continued the use of doublewishbones upfront. I would be curious to see if Honda has retained its unique 5-link rear suspension. They added the fifth link with 1998 redesign compared to 4-link double wishbones of the past (89-97 Accord).
    And also curious to see if the new Accord also boasts flat floor. That would be nice.

And for those looking for a smaller, narrower sedan, Acura might still bring over the Euro/JDM Accord as TSX. Makes sense because Honda will probably not offer a sportier trim on American Accord, but only in coupe. TSX might fill the gap. That may be a smart marketing move.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    The received wisdom here is that the embargo ends on July 29. How do we know that? Is it rumor that gradually got accepted as fact? We also expected complete info on the day when the car debuted for the press--June 17 or thereabouts, and look what happened then--nothing, and everyone was shocked, shocked.
    Based on Accords reputation and the 240 hp engine I placed my order today for a new Accord (Noble Green). Not thrilled about that but an interesting color to say the least. Expected delivery is early September. Interesting, 4 of the first allocation have been sold to others (all V-6's).
    I think it will be a great car as usual.
    Now I will sell my 02 Acura 3.2 TL before I get hosed.
    INKY
  • 2003carz2003carz Member Posts: 13
    My bad, I found on it another web site, sorry about that.... I did not go through all of the postings....
    What's wrong with your TL? It's a 2002? You're going take a whooping on the depreciation if you sell it now.
    Nice car, but last model year and less HP then new accord. Had for 12 months now. MSRP $29360, Dealer wholesale offer last week was $23000. I will sell for $24,500 or so since new 03's go for average of $27,900 now.
    I paid $28k. $3500 for 12 months is not bad. that is only $300 per month. Not bad. So depreciation worse on domestic models. New Accord will be $25k or so.
    INKY
    But somewhere on one of these websites I read that the new Accord's embargo date was set to end on July 29. CollegehillsHonda.com states that the new Accord's full press release would be held at the end of this month. Also, it's somewhat apparent now that the Accord will debut to the public by this month's end because Autoword Magazine already has an article out about the car. I imagine if AutoWorld can have an article for the Sept. Edition of its magazine, Motortrend, Car and Driver and Road and Track could also.
  • ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    Beach15: I posted your site all over Temple of VTEC, giving due credit.

The embargo date has to be at the end of the month so that info on the new car can appear in the September new car issues for C/D, MT, R&T, and Automobile.

First signs of more info will be at:

www.auto.com
    www.thecarconnection.com
    www.automotivenews.com
    www.detroitnews.com

Jerry Flint from Forbes may even mention how much better a car it is than any Detroit product in his weekly column...