Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=05022555

I saw some new spy shots that I hadn't seen before. That coupe is UGLY!

• bunkbunk Member Posts: 66
    How much are you going to pay for it? What kind of interest rate did they offer you??
    I don't know about these things, what do you do when your car is not paid off in full yet and you want to sell it? You said that you have just paid for one year so far, right?
    You are not doing a trade in?
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    at AutoWeek. Once again the subjective subject of styling comes up. I think from what I've seen both models will look good, but not so as to knock your socks off. I don't think the coupe will look so wedge shaped in the flesh. There don't seem to be any awkward angles to them like you find with the Nissan products. Guess we will see soon enough. Thanks for the link.
    to me, the wheelbase looks too short making the body look heavy on the wheels. If those are really 16 inch wheels, its a substantial body on them!
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Is it just me or are Hondas just not very photogenic? The Civic Si looks like a squat little bug-eyed toad in internet pics, but I've seen at least 2 in real life, and amazingly they look very proportionate. I mean, a hatchback is still a hatchback, but it just looked so much more coherent in the flesh than it does in the pictures.

The same goes for the RSX and the CR-V. Although the Pilot is VERY wide in real life.
  • lolaerololaero Member Posts: 3
    This is for you 2001/2 Honda Accord Auto owners. Assuming you drive close to conservative, about how many miles do you guys get with a full tank of gas while driving in the city? Highway? Do you have manual or automatic transmission? I would like to compare my gas mileage with other Honda Accord owners.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Accord coupe has a shorter wheelbase. 98-02 Coupe had 105.3" wheelbase and was an inch lower than the sedan (106.9"). CL has a shorter wheelbase (106.9") compared to TL (108.1"). It was the same when Integra came with a choice of sedan (103.1") and coupe (101.?").

The new sedan probably has 108.1" wheelbase, so the coupe may be 106.9" now.

As for styling, IMO, it is always better to see a Honda in person. Most pictures don't do justice. Take S2000 for example, even RSX. The car has enough bandages to make any sense out of the pictures, and then it could be the angle of the photographer too. Remember the first pictures of Accord sedan, and how the subsequent spy pictures subsided much of the debate?

I see some resemblance between the Accord coupe and RSX, especially the rear quarter as seen from the front-side. The rear is a revised CL styling.

And in one of the pictures, the coupe seems to wear 17" wheels. That could be the 'Si' (?) version with 6-speed manual.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    2001 Coupe w/17" rims and 5spd

City = 27-30
    Hwy = 31-35

Most of the factors depend on winter driving vs. summer driving, mountains etc. I have never had worse than 27 mpg in any condition.
    My driving now is split 70% hwy / 30% city and I avg. 31-32 mpg per each fill up. I check it every time.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    What about sales tax? Here in WA (your mileage may vary), your $28K Acura actually costs $30,465. That raises your one year depreciation $6000!

Plus sales tax and 1st year depreciation on your new acquisition...Ouch!

$300/mo in the toilet is a waste. $600/mo is a car salesman's wet dream.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The Civic Si is NOT proportionate, its just as hideous, if not worse than in its pictures.
    ~alpha
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    I knew I would be quizzed when posting my intentions. I am a car nut. First of all I have clear title on the Acura. 2nd, sales tax is only 3% here. Anyhow, I have a long term relationship with the dealer and have cut a fair deal that I will post after delivery in early September. I put down $500 deposit. Hey, I get a new car every year. I never have to buy tires. Just an expensive hobby. Sell privately and buy only high resale cars. Good luck out there.
    INKY
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Maybe you're on to something after all. These days, I don't know which is a worse investment...a new car or the S&P 500!
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    I would laugh if it ain't so painful!
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    has a lot of CL influence in its styling. I hope its exterior dimensions are smaller (and lighter) than the CL's. That would make it more of a 3-series fighter rather than a GT cruiser like the CL is.
  • lolaerololaero Member Posts: 3
    Are there any differences between the 2000, 2001, and 2002 Accords automatic trans? Like the body, or engine designs and such? Would 2000 parts work on a 2002? Would 2001 parts work on a 2002?
  • inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    Is that whatyou all understand. I heard both 4 or 5 speed auto in the I-4. If so a very efficient and performing car. May give many V-6's a run for the money.
    INKY
    are mechanically the same as far as I know. The only appearance difference is the front was revised on the '01 with a three bar grill and full width intake below the bumper and at the rear the turn signals/back up lights were moved to the bottom of the light assembly. Inside, fabric patterns may also have changed. But, that's really it.
  • cds12cds12 Member Posts: 139
    I just wish the price of Accord would drop like the S&P!
  • crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    In addition to cosmetic changes on front end and taillights, soundproofing was improved for '01. Also, 6-disc in dash cd-changer was made standard on EX models.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Wow! Since I posted the scanned pics on this board, they've really taken off! I had 26,000 new views from Friday night through yesterday morning, and today it said 53,000! Anyway, I've updated the pics a little bit for you guys. I added the page number and scanned in the magazine cover so you know what to look for if you want to buy it.

Take a look:

http://community.webshots.com/album/44150265fKlFcS

I guess I just don't know exactly what you are saying. Clear title? Did you buy the car and pay it off in full and are now selling it, or did you still owe on it? Not a big deal, just wandering.
    I was interested in what happens if you buy a car and want to trade it in before it is paid off.
    I think your question is for me. OK, I get it. This may help. Let's say you sell your car to private party for 15k, you owe 14k. Well, if new owners bank is local the new owner pays off loan and gives you 1k all with notory on the title. Some states-- you do not have title if in lien status so your buyer pays lender payoff and gives you difference and bank sends title to new owner. Simple. Done every day.
    In my case I had a loan on my Acura but with savings rates so low I just paid it off. At that point I was given "clear" title with no lien or loan. So when I sell I just get cashiers check (usally from lender of my buyer) and sign title over with a Bill of Sale saying "as is where is"-buyer beware stuff.
    Trouble occurs when you owe 15k and can only get 13k for the car. Upside down and you must come up with the difference. recommend keeping the car until selling price is greater than car payoff. Why go into debt for new car? What I mean is your car loan should always be such that you have equity in the car. That way you have a secured debt. That means buy a car like an Accord that maintains minimal depreciation and put money down.
    Now, if trading in. Very easy as dealer will pay off old car and add that to your new loan--they do all the work for a price. Of course any equity you have in your existing car comes off the price.
    Remember the Acura dealer was willing to give me 23,000 for my perfect TL only because he knew that his 03's go for 28k and that 24-25k was a sure thing on my car. I would rather sell myself that let them rob me in a trade.
    INKY
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    You're to be congratulated for having the guts to buy a new car every year and to show how much money you save by never having to buy tires.

I do the same with houses: I buy a new house every year and I never have to paint. Amazing how much money I've saved over the years.

Just kidding: all of us would like to buy a new car every year, if we could. You've taken fantasy to a new level.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Like Memory seats, autoshift?
    That is exactly what I was asking. Thank you very much!!!
    I posted something like this on one of the other threads, but I just thought I would post it hear too. I talked to a dealer and he told me the best deals on the Accord are now and that next month he really does not expect them to be as good. Does this sound like hogwash? I think so.
  • wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    I think the deals on 02 Accords are going to stay as good or get better as we get nearer to the 03 sale date. The dealer is just trying to clear out his inventory as fast as possible. He is paying interest on his inventory and wants to get rid of it asap. I would not trust any dealer to tell me the truth re pricing.
    Can anyone with knowledge of such matters tell me if there is reason to worry about the trans on a V6 Accord coupe? I want to know if the whole scare about this was just hype.
    GOOD LORD MAN, BUY A CAR ALLREADY!!!!
  • splitoesplitoe Member Posts: 19
    My Accord is 2 months old and everytime I shut off the engine I heard the radiator making funny noise, sounds like coolant is bubbling. Is this normal? Anyone has similar experience? Thanks for any comments.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    heh, cds12, this is the perfect place to examine all the details before making a decision, y'know? :)
    I couldnt agree with you more. Thats why I visit. But I think its going to take lengthy therapy sessions or a gun to the head for bunk to make a decision.
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    I've been thinking the same thing but you have to put yourself in his shoes. A car is already a poor investment and it's up to the buyer to make it less so. Bunk is just trying to find a good car to invest in and as I discovered several weeks ago, it's not an easy process especially for a first time buyer like me. The best thing we can do for bunk is be helpful and supportive by answering his questions.

bunk-I'm not sure about the transmission thing. The way people around here talk, you'd think the Accord V6 transmission was the least reliable tranny ever. In reality, I think it was just a few early '00 models that had transmission problems that have since been corrected. Good luck with your search for a new car.
  • adamr2adamr2 Member Posts: 31
    I think he owes us all a drink when he finally does buy a car!!

Bunk, on the transmission issue, don't confuse an unreliable transmission for one that is not the best performing. When we got into this discussion a little while back, I said that Honda's to not make the best PERFORMING transmissions, that is they do not shift the best, at least the one's I have driven. Someone replied and said some of the new transmissions in the CRV or Odessey are much improved. Howeve, this does NOT mean they are unreliable. With all of your concerns, keep one thing in mind, why is it one of the top selling cars? Now that I bought my accord, I notice how many of them are actually on the road. There are tons! Again, if you ever have a shot at Honda getting a car right, it is now in its 5th and final year.
  • alindaalinda Member Posts: 67
    I don't know how conditions are for Accord sales in Detroit, but where I am, the EXL6 coupes are getting scarce. At my medium sized dealership we've got 2 on the way and about 8 in stock. Thats it. Of course, we're ahead of our selldown goal (50 last weekend!).
  • qsmooth678qsmooth678 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 4 door LX, 5 speed. and i'm somewhat an import scene car enthusiast. i've added some mods done to my car already. just the basic bolt ons i've lowered the suspension by 1.75", added a GREDDY Evo cat-back exhaust, and an AEM cold air-intake and added a kenwood double-din head unit. i'm planning on supercharging it, installing a racing clutch, headers and upgrading the stereo system, etc. i was wondering when the VTEC kicks in. can anyone help me out and let me know? thanks for your help.
    I never use memory seats. Will miss heated seats-not on Accord EX v-6 correct?Tilt down mirror nice.
    never ever use the gimmicky autoshift.
    Anyhow, the basis for selling is the great deal I am getting on the 03 Accord. Plus, I do use up the best part of a car in the first year with cost of 3 oil changes I do myself. Realistically I should keep 2.5 years but hey. I do not see $4000 year cost on the 3.2 TL as a huge depreciation loss. MRSP $29500 bought $28000 est selling price $24,300 plus cost $700 for the tax component. That is $350 per month, right. So who in the heck ever leased an Acura 3.2 TL for $350 per month with zero down? Am I missing something. I have done this many times and if buy right car and keep extra clean and sell privately it is cheaper than a lease that would go 36 months. That is my rationalization--for my expensive hobby. Anyhow, my costs are not dreadful. Best thing would be to keep for 8 years but the cost per year would still be $3500 per year on a $28000 car with lots of upkeep after the warranty and tires which are $650 a set for the Acura.
    Finally saw Noble GReen Pearl. Looks fine to me but hope it looks better on 03 Accord than the 02.
    Regards
    INKY
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...there is at least one other person here who understands what Inky is doing. There are some of us for whom the cost of the car is a hobby cost just like owning horses, spending on golf clubs, buying model trains, or getting bombed in bars...whatever it is that you do in your life that other people regard as a "waste of money". For me, it has been a life-long hobby of buying and selling cars whenever something new and interesting strikes my fancy. I've owned 50 cars in the last 40 years [of course, sometimes 2 or 3 at a time during our working years]. For a hobbyist, this extra cost over "buying and wearing out" is amortized the same way everyone else justifies any expense they take that is not absolutely essential to health and well-being.

He and I both know that buying a car and running it to the end of its life is the logical and economic thing to do - but the hobby has nothing to do with logic and little to do with economics. On a board devoted to cars, there are at least two of us here, apparently...
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    I don't think the price on the '02 Accords will start going back up. If anything the deals will be the same, or get even better as we get closer to the arrival of the '03. Problem is that you might start to see the selection diminish.

I got my Accord EX V6 coupe at the beginning of this month. Price was great (21725+tax/title/doc) and I didn't have to worry about being stuck with black or dark green in NC.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    First of all cds12, if this kind of thing can get to you so that you feel this passionately upset about it, maybe you should get therapy? Hmm? Hey why don't you try skipping my posts if they cause you so much suffering?
    I more than realize that I am being somewhat neurotic about this whole thing, but like I have explained before this is a huge purchase for me and it is the first time I have bought a new car. The best decision for me will come through questioning and learning and I will not buy something of this worth until I am confident that it is the best choice for ME! If you have the money to just buy something of this magnitude on impulse then wonderful for you, but for those of us that are not so fortunate, and who prefer to make an EDUCATED decision, please try to cope!! THANK YOU, THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE MORE COMPASSION AND PATIENCE!! THANK YOU FOR THE DEFENSE ALSO.

Second, adamr2. You have assumed that I came to my question about the reliability of the auto trans on the Accord through a prior response from you and to assume makes a a#@ of you and... well you know. I had seen many posts on problems of the automatic trans of the EX V6 Accord and I guess I thought others at this site would have knowledge of this and would understand why I would ask such a question. I guess I should not have been so presumptuous. The debates, on other threads, about the trans having problems were quite heated and I thought maybe I could get some real answers here. It sounds as if "th83" has heard about this as well.
    Oh, and a car can sell on it's previous reputation and not on it's current reliability and performance adamr2. I would still like to thank for the info you gave in the past.
    Just trying to add some humor to the board. It is kind of funny to see your posts of indecision.

I wish you the best in making your fianl decision. I hope you get a good deal and have no regrets.

May you make your decision soon!
    I can take a joke, or a little humor, but it seemed you were going for the jugular!!
    I understand and my girlfriend thinks my indecision is quite humorous also, but please understand that I am trying and I would feel much better about buying a car if I had all my questions answered before hand, even if I have a ton of questions. I have been trying to keep my posts down some, but when I saw the debate about the trans having problems, it was a serious issue that I really wanted other opinions on. I was trying to find out earlier how the Accord auto trans performed, shifted, in comparison to it's competitors, and this was not exactly answered. I just got the basic answer that it is not that great, but it is not the worst. I don't mind if the auto trans does not shift seamlessly, but I do mind if it is not going to last or is going to be problematic!
    adamr2, if you get a chance go to the Honda Accord Quality Control Issues forum. I think you will see why my worries are warranted. They speak specifically about the V6 auto having problems even now. I know that with any car there will be problems and negative discussions, but I would like to know how much validity there is to these arguments before I end up one of those that is unhappy with there car purchase.
    I know that many, including adamr2, have said that the Accord auto trans did not shift smoothly. I just read this by edmunds; "Standard equipment includes a four-speed automatic transmission, with a shifter that feels comfortable in the palm of the hand. Our test SE's tranny exhibited seamless shifts and was perfectly suited to the engine."
    Do you think this would be applicable to the V6 auto also??
    Roger that!
    INKY
  • ironmanterpironmanterp Member Posts: 57
    Reading my earlier post, I want to make clear that I still feel Honda owes much more to the consumer for safety and peace of mind purposes. I do believe that folks' questions about whether there are safety implications are valid. What does Honda mean by erratic shifting? Is that the same wording they wanted to use in describing the 80 mph in second gear incident? Probably not, but there are plenty of situations where undependable and unpredictable (erratic) transmission performance can be very dangerous. I won't feed into FUD by speculating what those situations may be, but just wanted to illustrate how Honda's lack of information is feeding into this problem.

Thanks again for the exchange!
  • jjpcatjjpcat Member Posts: 124
    In both 1993 and 1997 (the years when a new Accord came out in fall), Accord price hit the bottom in July/August, at least in both LA and SF areas. After labor day, the price actually went up since dealers didn't have many old models by that time.
    thanks for the info i'm looking to get a 2002 ex sometime in august. id be happy with $1500 under invoice, but will try for 2k or 2.5k
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Everyone is welcome to ask all the ~polite~ questions he or she would like. If you don't want to read them, don't read them. If you don't want to respond to them, don't respond. There is no need to snipe at the person, however.

Let's just move on.

You too, bunk.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    I don't know how the Honda lots look in your area, but by me they are becoming pretty bare. The dealers did tell me that they would still be getting shipments in August though.
    Oh, and I know some have said the coupe V6 stick would not be out until spring, but a dealer told me he was scheduled to get them in September and told me that I could put a deposit on one. He may just not know what he is saying?