Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I appreciate the fact that you are connected with Honda via the service dept, but it is my observation from my 98 LX 4 cyl CA-emission VTEC automatic that there is no special provision for the AC to do anything but cool the car, no matter how hard I use the right pedal. Maybe the issue is how hard is "hard", and how long you have to sustain full throttle for the effect to be felt...I've rarely kept the pedal truly buried for more than the five seconds or so it takes to get up to speed at an onramp, or accomplish a successful rural-road passing maneuever...

Incidentally, once broken in, this engine is surprisingly lively and never feels seriously out of it, the way a Camry 4 can often do. But of course the noise it makes in the process can never be compared to the easy power produced by the V6, which is why I'm leaning toward a 2001 EX V6 or an Acura CL/TL. Got to say that overall, this has been the best car for the money we've ever owned, and we've had nearly 50 cars over the past 38 years, including everything German and Japanese several times over.
  • Options
    hondaaccessoryhondaaccessory Member Posts: 74
    Honda's list price is $130.29 but dealers can charge more if they want to. And that doesn't include installation (which should run between $30-$50)

-Trevor
    http://www.honda-accessories.com
  • Options
    "Option OEM Pricing - My dealer quotes me a spoiler and fog light options would be $1,000.00 (out the door). I thought this was a bit high, would $600.00 be reasonable?"

Hi,

First off: welcome to Edmunds! I'm not sure why you hid your post, usually people hide them if they are posting pictures or wandering off topic and yours was definatly on topic.

Anyways. $1000 wouldn't be completely out of line. List price for the items alone is $768.00 so install on top of that would probably take it up close to the $1000. If you can get them installed for the $600 you mentioned then by all means do! I'd think closer to $750-800 would be a good/fair deal, but that's no reason not to start at $600.

-Trevor
  • Options
    davidengdavideng Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response. I agree with what you stated. Sorry, I hide it by mistake. I should be more careful next time.

Anyway, I am pretty happy with the car so far. Although I have not driven much; have not "broken in" yet.
  • Options
    also, congrats on the car purchase! No problem on the hidden post, just thought some might overlook it since it was hidden, I think if you click on the post number again you can unhide it (which will then make me look insane to anyone reading my comments on it being hidden :)
  • Options
    davidengdavideng Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. I unhided post #54, it's hided by mistake.

Anyway, looking forward to drive the car more often on weekend. I wanted to see if fuel mileage improve past the "break in" period, or first oil change. So far, I think my average mpg is probably in the high 16-18 mpg range. Of course, this is strictly city driving. I try not to treat the car too harsh before the first 600 miles, that means avoid freeway driving during this time.
  • Options
    mpruittmpruitt Member Posts: 18
    I traded my '98 EX 4-cyl, 5 speed, cloth, for a '00 EX-L, V6, auto. Biggest difference: the weight (and handling) of the heavier car makes it feel more stable (not that the other wasn't). We like it. Do notice wind noise on highway, though, seemingly from the driver side "A" pillar.
    Out the door price for the new car (trade not involved) was $22,026, including moonroof visor and floor mats. Traded the visor for chrome tips on the dual exhausts. Looks great.
    What changes are in stock for the '01 's which will be available in a month or so?
  • Options
    There are a surprisingly large number of changes to the 2001s, led by the assertion that they are actually trying to do something about the wind and road noise issues. Let me see if I can copy the URL for all to see here:

http://www.vtec.net/news/items/437.html

The EXV6 also gets a 6-CD changer in the dash, traction control, and power passenger seat. There now is not much to close the gap to an Acura TL except the 5-spd automatic and the memory seats [which the TL will get for 2001]. Makes it even harder to justify the price difference in my mind...
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    If you have your A/C on and go under the hood and watch the compressor clutch as you accelerate quickly(in neutral for this test)you can watch your compressor shut itself off on accel.The way they are set up and have been set up for several years is that on accel from a stop the compressor shuts down for extra power on initial take off and then around 20mph the compressor kicks back on.Now I dont know if you can tell or not but it does do it I checked today..Could not tell and the manual was not clear on if it does it on passing gear down shift but the civic does because I have fixed chirps on accel caused by the compressor kicking off then on durring hard accel..
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I have never heard of such a "smart" AC compressor. In every car I have driven, I have had to turn the AC off manually in order to give me that extra oomph for hard acceleration from a standstill. This includes my Mom's 92 Accord, sister's 94 Accord and 2000 Odyssey, brother's 95 Intregra, and my own 2000 Hyundai Accent. The AC clutch is turned on and off based solely on the temperature of the freon. When you accelerate hard, it turns the compressor at a faster pace, thus pumping the freon faster through the system and cooling it faster as a result. The sudden coolness will trip the AC temp switch located in one of the AC lines and thus switch the compressor off. It is pure coincidence that you noticed what you did. All you did was cool the freon to the threshold of the switch by accelerating the engine, thus shutting off the compressor.
    I will give you an example. My Hyundai only has 92 hp and accelerates slowly with the AC engaged. I have tried to pull out fast from a dead stop and the car just bogs down and accelerates like it has an anchor attached to it. As soon as I shut off the AC switch, it's like a turbo kicks in and the engine revs with much less restriction. If what you are saying is true, I should not experience this bogging because the AC compressor should know I'm asking for more power and shut itself off. Like I said, there is no way for it to know you are asking for more power, because it does not have a computer chip talking with the rest of the car's engine control unit. It is controlled solely by a temperature switch. Hope this helps the confusion surrounding this topic.
  • Options
    castagerecastagere Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know if you can get more than once choice for optional alloy rims on the '01 Accord LX V-6's? I wasn't sure if the wheels are 15 or 16 inches for the LX's. According to Hondaaccessory's link, you can only get one choice for optional rims, and it's 16". I thought only the EX's had 16's. Any info people?
  • Options
    Well if you guys arent going to believe me then oh well there is nothing I can do, but I can tell you that it does shut off.I dont know when they started it but I will check.It may have been 92 or 94, so yes the accord(atleast one of them does) and definitly the Odyysey.The ECU has a A/C input and output going to it and controls the A/C compressor through the A/C thermostat in the evaporator.Before they made the change the thermostat used to be a 2 wire and is now a 3 wire due to the change.I am very aware of the high pressure switch in the high side line and I do know what it does as well as the rise in pressure due to accel.However this compressor shut down happens from 0-20mph on fast accel to quick for the pressures to go high enough for the pressure switch.I have tested what I am talking about and have seen it work, but if you dont believe it no big deal after all what do I know after 17 years of working on Hondas
  • Options
    Than how do you explain the example of my 2000 Hyundai Accent? Is this a Honda only thing? How does it determine how much acceleration you are asking for and thus decide whether to turn it off or not, or are you saying it occurs everytime you accelerate between 0-20 mph? I am real curious as to how this works, so I will ask my brother-in-law, who is a mechanic on all sorts of cars, whether this is true of all cars or just Honda's.
  • Options
    I have only worked on Honda and Subaru in the past 17 years so I don't know about Hyundai systems except for the basics.Have been exclusive Honda tech for the last 12 years so I loose touch with other brands of cars. For an exact 100% true statement I would have to check a manual but as for what I remember, the throttle position sensor has to show rapid accel wanted and the speed sensor signal has to be under 20mph.If these are satisfied then the ECU(computer)will shut the power to the compressor clutch.It does not shut of the light on the dash only the clutch power.It does this in much the same way as the high presure switch or the thermostat. It will not shut down the compressor on moderate or normal accel. As far as the other cars go your brother in law would be the man to ask. See ya
  • Options
    Auburn, thanks for the details, and I for one never said I didn't believe you. What I did say, and will say again, is that I interpreted the original question to mean, "does the AC shut down when rapid acceleration is called for at highway speeds", to free up a couple of hp for faster accel.? I said in my original response that this feature is one I have only heard about on police package cars [to help in pursuit situations], and you have confirmed that Honda's switch only works at low speeds. And what this has to do with the way Hyundai does things, I have no idea, either...

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to explain the details.
  • Options
    Both the LX and EX, both 4 and 6 cyl cars, have 15" wheels as original equipment. Most Honda dealers feature alloy wheels for these cars in both 15" and 16" sizes....I've certainly seen both in brochures and in the parts dept at my local, as well as available online from the big dealers who maintain web sites. If you go with 16s, though, remember to get the right size tires or prepare for some odo error. For example, the 6cyl cars' OEM size is 205/65x15 - which means you have to go with 205/60 or 205/55 if you use a 16" wheel. Same sort of calculation for the 195/65x15 used on the 4 cyl cars....
  • Options
    I haven't had time to check any further on the highway speed kick down. I know the mid 90's Civics did but they really needed it to.Anyhow if I find out more info I will pass it on.
    Jrct9454 the only exception to the wheels is on the Coupe V6 which comes with a 16 inch wheel and uses a P205/60 R16 91V. Always glad to try and help answer questions.Have a good day....see ya
  • Options
    mpruittmpruitt Member Posts: 18
    Thanks to jrct9454 (post #60)answering my questions about changes for '01. A couple of the changes interest me, especially the front/rear appearance mods (although they don't seem very significant in the picture) and the "20 engineering enhancements...contributing to better ride and wind noise..." Oh well, my salesman told me very emphatically that Honda was on a 5-year cycle and assured me there were no changes for next month, I mean, year. My car is so new (2 weeks), I've not received that "oh-so-important" survey...any opinions on how I might handle this?
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. I remember asking the dealer about optional rims and he said only the 16" were available and in only one style. After we looked in the accessory book did he realize he was wrong. I went to the link hondaaccessory posted and it had what looked like the same rims but said only for the L4's and not V-6's. That confused me a bit. I would be happy with 15" tires. At the vtec.net site it said there were new rims for both LX and EX models. Hopefully they will look as sharp as the current choices.
  • Options
    dc18dc18 Member Posts: 6
    I had an '88 Ford Taurus (v6-auto) where the a/c comp. would shut off on hard acceleration. My 2k 4cyl accord does the same thing, which is ok by me. BTW, my '99 Expedition does not have this feature.
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    What ever happened to the navigation system that was supposed to be coming?

http://www.vtec.net/news/items/155.html

The 6 disc cd-changer and power passenger seat is realy nice, but the Navigation system would be great also.

Even with this, a TL is still worth buying since a TL has a bigger and more powerful engine, better transmission with 5 speeds and sport shift, 4 year warranty, Acura service and prestige and heated seats.
  • Options
    tu4tu4 Member Posts: 4
    When does the 2001 model come out? I don't know whether I should go ahead and buy the 2000 model(I need a car in a month).
  • Options
    terminalisterminalis Member Posts: 40
    If I were you, I would wait a bit and see. The new one may come out on September, just my guess though.

One change that's appealing is the noise reduction. If you're a type who likes quiete ride, then it may worth it, although the supposed change may just be a marketing hype. When I first bought mine, I thought the noise was excessive (hey I used to drive a buick), but now I actually began to enjoy its more aggressive ride.

On the negative aspect of the change: I saw the picture of it, and I thought it wasn't better looking. It looks more like camry (sedan) or pontiac sunbird or something (coupe). I like the face of the current accord a lot more. Those added two lines on the face make the car look cheap. What were they thinking? Anyway, what do you guys think of the new look?

--terminalis

BTW, any info on the possible price increase?
  • Options
    markz2kmarkz2k Member Posts: 112
    I bought an '00 EXV6 a little less than 2 months ago. If I had known there would have been that many changes for the '01, I might have waited. I don't care about the power pass. seat, but the noise reduction and the 6-disc/cassete would have been nice. I still want to see a pic of the rear styling, I kind of like the rear styling on mine, hope they didn't change it too much on the sedan. I don't see a lot of difference in the front. I suspect the price will be going up some with all the new equipment being added.
  • Options
    The dealer I spoke to said Honda usually brings out the new models in late September. Not sure if that's true or not. I think the front facia does look like a Camry. I can't believe they went that route. The rear tailight design on the current coupes is definitely unique and aggresively styled. Not quite the NSX but it still is nice. Anyone have a guess at how much an LX V-6 with factory options might run. Hopefully they won't jack it up too high.
  • Options
    First, the styling changes are actually pretty subtle [they didn't want to spend real money here - the new hood, etc costs very little for new stampings]. Second, given the kinds of new equipment and details of the changes, AND the extremely competitive market out there, I would predict price increases of less than $500, and that would be for a top-line EX V6 - my guess is the average would be in the order of $300 or so. Third, the really significant change would be any noticeable decrease in road noise, the only real Achilles heel with the current car. They don't need to make it as quiet as a Camry [though that would be nice], but the 4-cyl car in its current form can wear you out on a long trip simply because there is too much noise coming through the floorboards...any improvement here would be welcome, and my guess is that this is not a huge engineering challenge.

The local dealer is clueless, as always - most of his sales people hadn't even seen the official press release that we all have access to. And of course, they want to sell what they have, so all questions about timing are answered vaguely and pessimistically. My prediction: look for the first shipment of 2001s in early September, right after Labor Day [or maybe even sooner].

I think the volume of changes caught the dealers a bit by surprise - as mid-life fresheners go, the 2001 Accord is fairly unusual for Honda...I think everyone expected the usual flurry of new colors and wheels, and not much else. But the new Camry will be out in 12 months, and with the next generation Accord more than 24 months away, they apparently felt the need to do a bit more this time. I'm looking forward to an early test...
  • Options
    This may have been beaten to death already but a company truck I drove that was an 87 Ford Ranger had a vacuum switch that would kick the A/C off when the vacuum dropped to a certain point (meaning the throttle was wide open) I found out about it after complaining to my boss that the A/C often didn't seem to work... his answer was for me to stop flooring it all the time. I stopped and the A/C cooled better :)

-Trevor
  • Options
    mdamesmdames Member Posts: 79
    I bought a 2000 Ex V6 a few weeks ago, and I love it. My only concern is with the transmission shifting. It seems to me that the car stays a long time and winds pretty high in first gear before shifting to second. This is the case even if I am fairly conservative with acceleration. Is this typical or will it change as it passes the break-in period, or do you think there is a problem? I'd appreciate any feedback. Other than that, this is a great car.
  • Options
    Don't be surprised if the transmission gradually changes in response to your driving style - the software is designed to make that happen. I wouldn't raise a hand on this for at least a couple of thousand miles...
  • Options
    fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    Hey, that's normal for a Honda. Just ask auburn 63. Let's all be happy with a [non-permissible content removed] shift, cause that's "normal".
  • Options
    baker16baker16 Member Posts: 45
    I'm a happy owner of an Accord sedan LX-V6. I bought it in April (manufacture date 2/00) and I have 5k miles on it now. I've had ZERO problems and I have NO complaints BUT I do have a question.

I noticed a lot of little marks (like made from various color magic markers) on nuts, bolts, etc.
    There is even a red mark on the yellow foam oil dipstick handle. Does everyone have these marks? Any idea what they're for? Maybe some kind of quality control thing? Like maybe some quality control guy checks all these nuts/bolts/etc and puts a little mark on them. That would be pretty impressive!

On the other hand maybe they're for the assembly guys ... insert bolt with red mark into hole with yellow mark!

Just curious.
  • Options
    broncodavebroncodave Member Posts: 26
    I just got back from a long trip in my 4cyl Accord EX. Here is the gas mileage I got on the trip:
    Averaging 75MPH on freeway: 34MPG
    Freeway and city driving: 30.7MPG
    Averaging 75MPH on freeway (with head wind): 33MPG
  • Options
    When the assembly line folk use their power tools on the various connections, bolts, fasteners, etc., they often have a device that adds the color when the correct torque values have been reached. That's where most of the colored marks come from - there are others that are indeed added by inspectors to indicate that a particular connection that they want to watch is tight and correct. Mostly it's the former: an automated way to say "that's tight enough, you can stop now", and a quick visual to assure that nothing was left loose.

This is pretty common across all car makers these days. What is less common is the fanatical attention to detail that Honda and Toyota [in particular] lavish on the whole "production engineering" question. They correctly recognize that real, repeatable, quality is much more a function of thoughtful details on the assembly line than grand design or PhD level workers. One of the reasons they are more reliable, for example, is the progress they've made over the years in designing electrical connectors that snap together easily on the line, don't corrode, and don't come apart in service. These days, with computer-aided design tools, there is no excuse for designing a car that is a bear to assemble, and thus a bear to get right - yet the domestic makers are still doing this regularly. The other big factor in assembly quality is carefully choosing your suppliers and helping THEM with their quality and processes, again an area where Honda and Toyota have it all over everyone else in the business.
  • Options
    gsnc4gsnc4 Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to this board and hoping I might find an answer to my question out here from some other Accord owners.......Back in June, I purchased a 2000 Accord EX 4 cyl. I currently have 2100 miles on it. I'm primarily doing city driving (stop & go--heavy traffic) and have been averaging 19 mpg--I somehow expected better?? After a highway trip, I got 28 mpg. I've checked tire pressure--all at 30 psi if not slightly higher--according to owner's manual. Can anyone tell me if my car is still in the "break-in" phase and gas mileage will improve or is this the best it's going to do given my driving conditions? Any and all ideas/responses are appreciated. This is my first Honda, and I love this car-had absolutely no problems--drives great.
    Thanks Again!!
  • Options
    baker16baker16 Member Posts: 45
    Thank you very much for the information!
  • Options
    frag235frag235 Member Posts: 81
    You'll probably need a couple thousand more miles or so for optimal mpg, though 19 isn't that far away from the EPA ratings. I drive mostly highway in my Accord SE and I get 29-33 mpg....glad you enjoy you car!
  • Options
    I agree with Frag - ours didn't fully loosen up until well past 5000 miles. That said, given your driving "environment", I would look for no more than about a 1 to 1.5 mpg improvement. You're at the far end of the least desireable part of the driving envelope, if you're constantly in stop-and-go situations. Best combo for this would be a good diesel engine, all too rare in the US with our crappy diesel fuel that discourages the car makers from giving us the choices enjoyed in Europe.

My experience is that the EPA ratings are very close to the real world range for most people - but it will take awhile for your car to be returning the optimum in both power and economy.
  • Options
    patd4patd4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I'm considering purchasing an Accord 4dr EX-V6 in Canada and have the following questions:

1) Any recent prices paid by fellow Canadians for same model?

2) Stereo seems a bit sub-par. In old posts, I noticed talk of changing speakers to improve. Has anybody changed just the rear speakers and if so did it help? If it helped, what did you put in? What about putting in a new stereo, has anyone done that on a 98-00 model?

3) I find the leather driver's seat a bit stiff (especially on the sides). I'm 6' and 250lbs so not the smallest driver out there. Will the seats "break in"? Did anyone else start off feeling this way but find they are happy now?

The build date on this car is 05/00 so I'm hoping I'm clear of the tranny issues!

Thanks for any answers you might provide.

Looking forward to your comments.
  • Options
    cyberjaycyberjay Member Posts: 7
    Hi

Is the Price of 19,338 excluding tax a good deal on Greenlight.com for a 2000 LX V6 Auto?

Also does anyone know where I can see a picture of the 2001.

thanks a lot
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    With all this automatic transmission talk, I sure hope Honda doesn't bag its 5spd Accord in coming years.. This is the reason I chose a Honda!
  • Options
    Yes, that is an excellent price for an LX V6. Second, the URL for the 2001 press release can be found in post #60, above. You will have to click on the pictures to enlarge.

And finally, Honda will not be abandoning manual transmissions for the 4s any time soon; in fact, as the decade wears on, look for 6 spds to become the norm. However, the CVT will gradually become available as an automatic option [the latest CVT designs are really excellent - Audi will be releasing one on the next A6 model, and Nissan is doing a lot of work here too...every manufacturer is involved], with 5-spd automatics becoming universal by mid-decade on any car that doesn't use a CVT.

Frankly, the 5-spd, shiftable automatics offered in Lexus, Acura, BMW, MB, etc. are much more useable and are so robust that they really obviate the need for a clutch pedal. On top of that, Toyota will be bringing 6-spd sequential shifting to the MR2 shortly [paddle shift, no clutch, similar to Ferrari, F1 racing designs, etc], and I expect this approach to become universal over time. If you really think you need a clutch pedal to be happy, you may have to search far and wide to find one in another 10 years. There is just no need for a third pedal to control gear shifting...
  • Options
    joe111joe111 Member Posts: 28
    I recently test drove a new Civic with the CVT trans. What an experience, that transmission is really a work of art. The power flow was as smooth as silk, just one long smooth steady surge of forward motion. I am really impressed with the CVT, too bad it's not yet available on the Accord as well. I just bought a 2000 v6 three months ago and I am very happy with the car and transmission, however it's no match for the smoothness of the CVT. If Honda has perfected the CVT it will undoubtly be the wave of the future.
  • Options
    The whole point behind a manual tranny is being able to shift for yourself and have fun while doing it. There is absolutely no fun in pressing a switch or a paddle. That adds about as much fun as pressin the defroster button. It is a pointless exercise that adds nothing to the driving experience. You don't get the same thrill nor form the same kind of intimate relationship that you would if you shifted the car yourself. Than there is the question of durability and cost. Can you imagine how expensive it would be to fix a malfuntioning switch and all the other complex components used in this setup? I sincerely hope they don't replace a real manual tranny with these boring expensive options.
  • Options
    ...I got all the shifting thrills I needed out of my system after, oh, about 30 years of driving manuals. I'm completely converted to the new generation of automatics...to each his own...

And I categorically reject any argument that this preference is some kind of litmus test for either car enthusiasm or for that matter, driving skill. Having done more than my share of competitive driving, I don't have anything to prove there, either. I respect the opinions of those for whom this is really important - it's just not that important to me these days, because the alternatives are so reliable and easy to live with. I'm about as "intimate" with the occupants of my garage as my spouse can stand, as it is...
  • Options
    clboiclboi Member Posts: 2
    is the 01' Accord suppose to have a nav system?
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Does anyone have the fender trim on their Accord? Did you install it yourself? How does it look?
    I am a manual transmission lover. I personally feel you have more control over the car.
  • Options
    No, there is no offering of a factory nav system for the Accord. They need to keep some features exclusive to Acura, for reasons that I hope are obvious....
  • Options
    silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    My coupe has aftermarket fender trim that the dealer had added. It looks okay, but more importantly, it protects that area from dings.
  • Options
    clboiclboi Member Posts: 2
    jrct9454, thanks for the info, I had read in another post that it was gonna have a nav system.

But I have a Question, I am thinking of getting an 01' Accord Coupe EX-6 to replace my currant 97' Accord SE. The 01' Accords have color keyed grills, I wonder how it would look if I cromed the top og the grill, I have seen another 6th gen Accord around town with this, it looks good, what do you guys think?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It would look like crap but what do I know?

I don't like gold kits either but some people do!