Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• meteoritemeteorite Member Posts: 3
    I am buying an EX-L Accord and I can't for the life of me understand why only one of the two "wood" trims are designated as standard on all colors not using the brushed metal trim. The Honda web site shows both the light-colored Birdseye and the dark-colored Burlwood as a $250 value... so why not offer both as options? I really think the light-colored "wood" is ugly, so I'll have to spend extra for the dark "wood". What a rip.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    moonkat: In my SI once the gas light comes on (depending on how long I drive without filling up) I put between 10-11.5 gallons in a 13.X gallon tank so it seems to be about the same percentage wise for the Accord.

talon95 .. I think he meant that the 03 Accord's ride is better than his 99 EX. And I agree, I also had a 99 EX 5-speed and test drove a 03 EX 5-speed and the 03 is quieter, rides better, and has what is now a more modern interior.

bodydouble: Invoice for a CL-S is $28,600 (in the Atlanta area you can get one for invoice with enough determination) and from what I hear the Accord 6-speed will be sold at sticker or above for a while. So if MSRP for a 03 EX V6 6-speed is close to $27,000 then the CL is only $2000 more. But for that $2000 you get a better warranty, BOSE stereo, HIDS, 20 more HP, driving lights, memory seating, etc. Only downside is that the CL is based off of the 98-02 Accord so you are riding on an older platform.
  • crashnburn2crashnburn2 Member Posts: 23
    Oops. I meant the Accords ride was better than the Altimas ride
  • dhk1dhk1 Member Posts: 2
    In answer to a previous question, I have an EXV6 with both fog lights and the temperature sensor and both appear to be in working order. The temp sensor indicates the temperature of the front bumper until the auto has been running for a few minutes when it begins to report on the temperature of the outside air. My wife has a 2002 Camry XKE V6 and the major difference is that the Camry trunk is larger, and it has instruments to report on such items as miles to empty, current miles/gallon, etc (as options to the outside temperature reading). The 2002 Camry cannot separately control the driver & passenger's air temperature, but the radio is simpler to operate. I have still not worked out to deal with all those little black buttons relating to the radio/CD/clock/fan while driving the Accord. And what I really miss is the built-in car phone on the 1994 Accord I traded in. That was a nice piece of work.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    The Camry has the larger trunk and it has those excellent hidden goosenecks that I've been praising about. Honda should have incorporated them into this redesigned Accord. Instead, they saved it for the Acura TSX (AKA Euro Accord).
  • ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    Is it a 2003? Apparently it's totally different from the 2002's. Also, check out the integrated car phone kit for 2003 at: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/parts/extension/accord/03accord.htm

This kit looks like just the ticket as it is integrated and works with most popular phones.

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    In my 98 Accord, the warning light goes off at aboout 13.5-14.0 gallon mark, that means just over 3 gallon is in the reserve.

Now, I had a rental Sonata and managed to skim through the owner's manual and noticed something very interesting being mentioned. It recommends staying away from nearly empty gas tank, as it could damage the engine and/or sensors or cause the check-engine light to come up.

Could this be the reason why almost all automakers prefer to light up the warning light early?
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    If the difference is less than 2 grand, I think the CL-S merits serious consideration. The Accord is a great car but the CL-S is really in a different class. Just the VSA and the HID by themselves would justify the price difference, IMO. And even though the CL-S is based on the '02 Accord platform, I'm not sure if that is a significant factor. In fact, I'm not sure if the '03 Accord is based on a new platform.
  • ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    I know people have posted similar comments, but there have been more Accord-bashers around recently, so I want to chime in...

Specifically, I'm addressing the people who say the Accord has gotten bigger and less sporty. Have you looked at a 98-02 Accord recently? Do you own one? Don't worry, nobody thinks you're sporty looking in that car. The Accord was already a solid looking automobile... Honda isn't trying to dupe anybody. Yeah, style is a matter of preference, but Accord buyers have had years to figure out what the car is about.
    2003 Accord is not based on a new platform, it is using a revised chassis, but the same platform. The suspension geometry has been tweaked a little (especially in the rear where it may have cost some trunk space), but it is still the same unequal length double wishbone front and 5-link (double wishbone) rear suspension.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Thanks for the information on the new Accord platform. The question now is "Is this a bad thing or should it have been improved"? Is the current design superior in and of itself? It was my impression from automobile articles that the 98-02 design was a very good design.
    I don't think the current platform is outdated or has been found lacking by any means.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Just test drove the Accord with 4-cyl and stick. Very impressed with the engine and tranny. Fast and easy to shift - smooth clutch. It was considerably faster than my Integra, and the clutch/shifter was much better. I see no need for the V-6. The 4 was smoother and quieter than most sixes.

Handling is in the same class as the Camry (sorry) which is to say safe and controlled but not sporty, no where close to Integra. I was expecting the rear seat to be smaller than Camry, but to me it weemed larger. The trunk is smaller than Camry, and has bad hinges.

Noise and ride are close to Camry, but not quite there. Engine was at 2400 rpm at 60 and Camry is more relaxed at about 2100 rpm. For some reason the Automatic Accord is closer to 2100.

I liked the seats. They are larger and the seatback is taller. In most cars my shoulders are above the seatback, but not in the Accord.

Still a toss up for me between the two. I would really like a lumbar support, but can't get that unless I get an EX, which is out of the question, because it has two inches less headroom, and headroom was just adequate in the LX. I can get a Camry more to my liking - in theory, but nobody seems to carry the manual tranny with ABS. Camry also has outside temp gauge and CD/Cassette standard (both features I like, but not deal breakers), and you can get a power seat with lumbar support as a stand alone option.

If I could delete the sunroof from an EX with leather, the car would be perfect - especially since that would take about a grand off the price.
  • seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    How is a platform defined then? Just because the accord has kept its double wishbone suspensions does not mean the body structure has not changed. I thought I read that the accord will be the first to use the new honda's midsize platform that will later also be used in Acura midsize cars. Just like how the 01 civic was a new platform to base the CRV & acura RSX on, the new accord platform will be how the new Acura TSX and even future TL/CL will be based on.

Manufacturers are trying to cut costs more by basing a a lot of models on a few platforms so the internals are switchable and tunable rather than start from scratch on every model. I think the 03 accord is based on a NEW honda midsize platform. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    yes, they are covered! check out pics from a few days ago (this topic) of Accord Wagon in Japan.
    One cheapo deapo thing about the US Accord.
    INKY
    I'd rather have uncovered cupholders than have the generally cheap interior of some cars in it's class.
  • ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    Japanese and European people must not drink 20oz. sodas, which don't fit well in the cup holders in our '01 Accord. Neither does a 16oz. coffee.

My understanding is that the chassis of the new Accord is basically a significanly revised structure that dates all the way back to the '90 model. In fact, the trunk stamping is supposed to be the same in the new car as the '98-'02.
    My 99/01 Accords both had pretty large cupholders if my memory serves me correctly. They were big enough to hold a Xtra Large drink from McDonalds .. those were some big cups...
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    Sorry, you are wrong. The 2003 Accord is based on a modified version of the previous generation platform. There have been many changes made but it still has the same basic foundation.

Frankly, Honda had little reason to consider a complete redesign. The previous gen platform was all new, and remained extremely competitive through that generation's entire life cycle, despite new designs from major competitors (Camry, Altima) in its final year. With the improvements made for 2003, the platform has everything it needs to remain among the top designs among mainstream midsized cars.

This information was mentioned in several of the early press previews of the 2003 Accord.

This is not uncommon... for example, the two generations of Camrys prior to the current generation shared a common basic platform. The 2002 Camry was all new from the ground up.

You are correct regarding the Accord and Acura relationship... the global midsized platform is the basis for both the Accord and the Acura CL/TL.
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    I use the rear cupholder in the console of my 2000 Accord to hold 20 oz. soft drinks all the time... fits perfectly.
    2003 Accord has improved rigidity, probably a sub-frame, and similar subtle changes to the platform used in 98-02 Accord. Apparently, the rear suspension geometry has been reworked too (and may account for the 0.1 cu. feet loss in trunk space). 98-02 Accord's rear suspension was probably a more space efficient design, and now it may be more sport oriented.

I have not driven the new Accord yet, but my 98 Accord seems to have 'passive steering' ability via the rear suspension. Going around a corner, steering and throttle input can be manipulated to bring the rear around. During 2003 road test, C&D pointed its absence in the new Accord. I have not driven the new Accord yet to see if that aspect of Accord's handling has changed. and it may have to do with the changes Honda incorporated in the 2003.

Acura TL/CL were already using stiffened up chassis compared to 98-02 Accord to the extent that neither has a folding rear seat and used sub-frames.
  • cohenmrcohenmr Member Posts: 7
    I use my cupholders to hold my garage door openener and my cellphone! They fit perfectly in there! :)
  • machead91machead91 Member Posts: 6
    This is picky, I know, but w/ less than 200 interstate commuting miles, I'm seeing a lot of brake dust on the front wheels. My 92 4cyl and my 98 V6 left brake dust, but not THAT much that QUICKLY.

Is it my left-foot driving or has anyone else noticed 'more than usual" amounts of dust on the wheels?

Plus my car tends to pull to the right-- anyone else having that issue?
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Someone on the Accord redesign board said that he/she quickly fixed the pulling to the right phenomena simply by changing the two front tires.

I find that a bit too simple, but truth is often stranger than fiction.
  • machead91machead91 Member Posts: 6
    This is picky, I know, but w/ less than 200 interstate commuting miles, I'm seeing a lot of brake dust on the front wheels. My 92 4cyl and my 98 V6 left brake dust, but not THAT much that QUICKLY.

Is it my left-foot driving or has anyone else noticed 'more than usual" amounts of dust on the wheels?

Plus my car tends to pull to the right-- anyone else having that issue?
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    I saw my second accord yesterday ( white ) on a highway near my home. When will XM Radio become available ? I think I will call Honda to find out.
  • inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    EX V-6 pulled on highway and when braking. had alignment check. In spec!!!. They switched front tires and perfect. I am very suspect of this in that something must be wrong with the tires surely will show up again when moved. This is common fix for radial tire pull. It means tires are defective in my book. This is a new tire design (MXV energy been around long time) but mean new sub model for Accord. Not like the same size tire on my 02 3.2 TL (I suspect cheaper version). Anyway it really fixed it (for now anyhow)
    Leather really smells good in this car. Much better than 02 and earlier "pleather"

Funny I remember I had shocking problems that were widespread in my early production 94 Accord EX. These were Michelin tires. It was so bad, toll booth operators (15 toll roads in OK) refused to take my money hand to hand! I about knocked one down once. Anyhow these tires were eventually recalled and new ones given to all.
    INKY
  • darmarmdarmarm Member Posts: 14
    I purchased this Accord two days ago and have diven it about 100 miles. It's a very well-
    running car, plenty of pickup and energy for city streets and handles great at 70-80 mphr.
    In comparing it with the Camry or Avalon, I find
    it to be a rougher ride. You feel the bumps in the streets. With the seats being firm, you no-tice it. Also, when stopping at a stop-sign, there is a slight vibration in the steering wheel

Has anyone found the same to be true?
    The fact that switching the tires fixed the problem is proof that one of the front tires is defective. Have the dealer replace them on their dime. If you have any doubts call any tire store and ask them.

You can figure out which tire is bad, by switching them back so that the car pulls right again, and then moving front to back on one side at a time, the side that fixes the problem is the side with the bad tire. It is easier for them to just replace both tires and be done with it though.
  • jbg12jbg12 Member Posts: 7
    I have about 300 miles on my EXV6 and also experienced pulling - immediately after delivery - but to the left. Related to this (according to the service mgr.) was a steering wheel off center about 7 degrees to the right. After the second appointment for this (the first time they did not have the "codes" for alignment), they did a re-alignment today. Although it was raining today, it still seems not to center like it should. I'll have to try it again tomorrow on dry pavement, but not very happy with this. I'll try switching the front tires next. I also find the ride to be crude on poor pavement. There is so much to like about this car. I hope I did not get a bad example.
  • adamr2adamr2 Member Posts: 31
    A general question on the climate control system on a 2002 Ex V6. Is there any way to get the heat to come on without having the air conditioning compressor kick on. Even if I have the dial set all the way on the highest heat setting, then hit "auto" for the climate control system, the compressor kicks on. It works fine, plenty of heat, I just find it odd that the compressor would go on. I have not figured out if it stays on or not. This would hurt gas mileage and performance as the compressor takes away some power.
    You can turn the A/C off. This way the heat will still come on when temperature drops below the specified temperature but the compressor will not come on.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Without the A/C being on in conjunction with the heater, you inside windows won't defog very well.

What little effect a modern A/C unit has on mileage and performance, you probably wouldn't even notice.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    I had the same problem with me wife cr-v the dealer did a four wheel aliment and it cure the problem. I hear people talking about shifting the front tires, Are they unidirectional?any one?
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
    Actually modern A/C still takes about 1 or 2 mpg, but it is true that most people would not notice this.
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    Darmarm: Those are the 2 reasons i did not purchase the 03 Accord.I did not like the rough ride and when stopped at a traffic light and the car was in drive, the steering wheel vibrated. I hate those 2 things in a car. I bought the Atima and it's much better and doesn't vibrate. You hear some wind noise in the car though. I thought it was just me being fussy but I 'm glad you mentioned it because folks are raving about this car on this board.
    On a 4-cylinder there is a noticeable drop in performance when the compressor kicks in. Also, I don't like the extra bit of noise that the compressor makes when it's on.
  • amingaming Member Posts: 119
    I've driven both the accords V4 and V6 (EX) and found the ride quiet and smooooooth. The V6 being slightly better. No vibration noticed at stops.

darmarm: test drive another v4 and see if it happens on that also. Get the tire presures checked out.

ahossa: Maybe IYO "the Atima is much better". You didn't clarify in what way but the interior of the Accord is much better then the Altima's IMO and from the sounds of it...almost everyone on this board. Did you ask the dealership why the steering vibrated as such? Did you take another V4 for a test drive just in case? I would hope when making such an important decision a little more time and testing would be worth it.
  • frankbailiefrankbailie Member Posts: 26
    O'k Canuck brethren here's the thing. I am dickering on a 2003 accord ex 4 automatic. I have a 1998 crv ex with 90'000 kilometers and the dealer is offering 16,000 in trade.This leaves about 14,000 out the door plus taxes He is not budging from list on the accord which is 30,3.00 but claims he is giving me more on the trade than usual. (I don't know about that). I also requested a remote starter installed at cost and winter floor mats also at cost. What do you think of this deal? Am I on the righttrack. I like my crv but on long trips prefer the comfort of a sedan like the accord.
    When did Honda start making a V4. Are they going after former SAAB Sonnet owners? ; ^ )
  • dfong87dfong87 Member Posts: 171
    we bought an EX I4 this past weekend and i find the the cabin to be extremely quiet. i notice no vibrations in the steering wheel at idle, and very little on the highway [no more than i've experienced with any other car]. as for roughness, i would comment that i find the ride smooth; nevertheless, i do feel some bumps on a rough road, but again, this muted compared to most cars i've driven/ridden in. i would say its about as quiet as my friend's Passat, but not quite as quiet as the latest generation Camry's or Lexus ES300.

my guess is that the two people who experience roughness/vibration had defective tires or the alignment may be off.

my only complaint of our car, a sporadic rattle on my driver's side. only audible with the radio off, but annoying to this picky owner. i think the car being quiet accentuates things like rattles. the problem seems to come and go. my guess now is that it is somehow related to the window sitting in the door channel since i seemed to get rid of it this morning bringing the driver's window up and down...

overall, the ride of this Accord is a significant step up from previous generations. i still think the Toyota Camry wins in terms of quietness and isolation (wind noise, road noise, etc), but the Accord has better driver feel IMHO.

to each his own, i guess.
  • mdx_kidmdx_kid Member Posts: 33
    Go to Cars4u.com and get the pricing for 2003 accord and they are giving it $1200 off the MSRP. If you live in Ontario then you can get the delivery from them. Show the Quote to local dealer and get him to come down but if you want to trade the vehicle in then they won't come down from MSRP. Actual value of your trade will be (16000-the discount amount+gst saving). We have a 93 lumina and are in the same boat. I am trying to sell it myself then buy the EX V6.
  • maltbiemaltbie Member Posts: 31
    My 2003 EX-V6, with 800 miles, vibrates when stopped at a light. The steering wheel sometimes vibrates when stopped. The vibration has not decreased since I acquired the car one month ago. There is no problem with pulling to the left or right, however. If I let go of the steering wheel, the car goes perfectly straight. My 2000 EX-V6 never vibrated - you could not tell the car was running when stopped. The ride on my 2003 V6 is rougher than the 2000 V6. I can feel every crack in the road. I am curious as to why some 2003s vibrate and others do not. Could the idle be set too low? My car idles at 600 RPM.
    You have to keep in mind on a trade-in you're also saving GST + PST on the value of the trade. What part of the country are you from because I think east coast used cars have lower resale values? My guess is that a '98 CR-V with 90K on the clock probably would fetch about $18,500 -$19,000 on the west coast if sold privately. If you can get another grand on the trade from the dealer, then I think you've got a fairly decent deal. Also keep in mind that you will never do as well on a trade as if you had walked in with cash. But you avoid the hassle and expense of selling privately. How much is that worth? Personally, for an Accord, I'd be willing to take a hit of about $500 for the convenience of a trade.
    I think your idle is a little low -- hence the vibration. Is 600rpm in Park or the stall speed (idling in gear)? If in Park then I think it's way low.
  • amingaming Member Posts: 119
    Totally agree with you. I've talked to many a dealer and they have always said "sell your own car and you will get more for it."

I have 2 cars that I will sell next year (lexus es 300 and a 2000 corolla) privately. I will then take the cash and buy the new EX-V6 accord.

I've recently looked at 97-99 Crv at the dealerships and they want $17.5K to $21K (canadian). I live in Calgary.

Hope that helps.
    Go to Real World Trade in Values over in the Smart Shopper forum. Those guys are pretty accurate and will give you an idea of where your CR-V should be. As for the dealer not budging off MSRP you can get one off carsdirect for invoice + a couple hundred bucks. So maybe you can sell your car privately then buy the Accord that way.
  • gotribegotribe Member Posts: 101
    Just got my 2003 Accord EX V-6 sedan and agree with prior posts that it rides rougher than my 2000 Accord EX V-6. One reason could be 60 series tires vs. 65 series on prior years--shorter sidewalls are stiffer and tend to be rougher riding. Probably other suspension mods in '03 as well. Interestingly, we have a 2002 Odyssey minivan, that replaced a 1999 Odyssey and we have the same issue--the '02 rides harder I think. There again, they switched 65 series tires to 60. It seems like Honda miscalibrated both cars' suspenisons a bit--rougher ride with little to no improvement in steering feel or overall handling. In fact, to me, the 99 Ody and 2000 Accord feel better all around in handling. Acceleration is sure better with the newer ones though!!
  • yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    Dont waste your time and money trading it in, it might take a little time but you will get way more for your crv if you sell it yourself, and tell that damn honda salesman that he can come down, it's not like there is only one dealership in town and i dont think the 03 accord will be low in supply either!!!!
  • toneman2toneman2 Member Posts: 19
    black book on a 98CRV ex auto. is between 13352 and 15677. 16000 sounds ok for a trade value, but msrp is out of line. There are lots of them on the lots in the London Ont area and have been since they hit the market. Curiously I have not seen a single one on the road.