Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Since I wanted to get the free Palm 100 that Infiniti was giving away I went to drive the new I35. I was VERY impressed with the "I" (my wife kept eyeing the Q45...told her to dream on), the car is comfortable, roomy, luxurious and a rocket, even the Millenia S is no match. The tranny is smooth as silk and the ride is much smoother than the Millenia (I drove the sport setup). We are VERY happy with our MM, but I just gained some respect for the Infiniti.

So many cars, so little time

Speed
  • saxoniisaxonii Member Posts: 31
    I cannot believe that you are saying that I35 is better than MM base or S. HERESY!!!!!!!! I think you are pushing the envelope. I35 isn't it built by the same folks who put together Nissan Maxima??? Just my 2 c Saxon II
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    I didn't drive it, but sure, it can be better. It is also $8-$10K more expensive than MM S in the real world. BMW 330i is also better - but one will set you back $40K+.
    For me it's all about value for you buck.
    Tomek
    In the real world, thanks to the deep discounts by Mazda, but a if you are going by MSRPs alone the Millenia is more expensive.

Millenia S $31,505 MSRP
    Infinti I35 $29,295 MSRP

Again, the MM is an awesome deal for the buck and that's why I am here.
    Yep, you're right - I35 with sunroof and heated seats is

Invoice:$26,589
    MSRP:$31,375
    TMV:$30,122

I thought it was more... A lot of car for the money!
    Tomek
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    I saw an ad on LA Times today for a 2002 Millenia S, white/sand two tone color for $25,888, which is a $7007 discount. This one is at Alhambra Mazda.
    Hey folks let's not go there. You cannot compare those two cars and not sound illogical. FRD v RWD, horspower, engine, the list go on and on and on. Granted the car is not available yet but on the paper it is a rocket. As for the price, eventually it will be discounted and the price will be within range of Millenia S. On the other note, to dispell any forthcoming criticism toward me, my wife spotted the new 2002 Millenia and heresy !!!!! she liked it. Thank heavens it is not up to her to purchase our next vehicle or I would be in trouble. Ciao SAXON II
  • nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    "Alas, in the Infiniti only a four-speed automatic transmission is available, transferring power to the front wheels."!! This is a quote from Edmunds. You obviously have absolutely NO IDEA that the Infiniti engine is anything different than the Maxima engine (exact replica!!)... You REALLY REALLY need to brush up on your car bashing stats before you make a fool of yourself AGAIN, and learn that the Q45 is "REAR WHEEL DRIVE" not the I35. Besides, anyone who drives a 1986 Mercury should definitely NOT be posting in any Edmunds forum......also, while driving that, how could you claim to know ANYTHING about a real car let alone be allowed to test drive one????
  • rbrubakerrbrubaker Member Posts: 54
    Saxon is talking about the G35, not the I35. They are going to be two totally different cars. Saxon is right about not being able to compare the cars because of the FWD/RWD issue.

Keep the peace,
    Bob
    Ah ha....I stand corrected. But who ever mentioned the "G35" previously in this Millenia forum??...We were talking about the I35 not the 2003 G35?? Anyways, what a gorgeous car the G35 is..(but too much like Max's rear). Saxonii that is the only valid argument you have poised here...congrats!!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Come on, people -- leave the personal comments and attacks out of this, please.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    That should be an awesome ride...I am going to test drive one when they come out this summer.
    To envedrani: I ma going to be civilized here since Pat our King ups!!! moderator will once again wipe my response from this board ( and I had a nice one written, too bad Pat did not think so). Mercury is a nice car and it allows me to get to and from work. I drive it not because I cannot afford anything better, granted, recently, I had to fork a lot of $$$ for downpayment which in other parts of the country would probably be enough to buy a house outright(Boston included), but I still have some left,( enough to get Millenia S or base). Like I mentioned before, I once was a proud owner of a wonderful vette but life had pushed me to sell it. (no it was not the m... hood) I also used to be a yellow taxi cab driver here in NYC and trust me what I have been able to do in and to cars you will only see in the movies. If you have never been to NYC and see the cabs in action come down and check it for yourself. As for me not being able to post on edmunds.com yea right dream on buddy!!! I am here to stay! However, I must add that your statement sound very stalinist like, you would fit vey well in a country where Gulags are the norm (go check what gulag is before you make another mistake like the one with G35). Ciao SAXON II
  • ddrake30ddrake30 Member Posts: 18
    On a long drive the other day in my 96 L (approx. 2 hrs at 80 mph) I noticed substantial heat developing around the gear shift area on the center console. It was right around where the gear numbers and letters are located, and was too hot to even touch it. I know that on manual transmissions the gear shifter itself can become quite hot, however, I've never noticed this in the two years I've owned the Millenia. Anybody noticed this before?
  • rzawarskirzawarski Member Posts: 47
    The improvements in the '01/'02 Millenias were on key, the front & rear sway bars reduce body roll tremendosouly. The '01/'02 literally drive like an entirely different car. FALSE
    There have been no changes since 95 intro, only Eunos and Xedos with four wheel steering have rear sway bars.

A five speed automatic (manumatic) is purely a selling gimmick; Patently untrue; if this were so automatics would still be 2 speed.

The Millenia S use what is called a Centrifugal Supercharger. Did you get this from, your car salesperson? False!
    The S uses a "Lysholm Compressor" which will give 14 PSI boost at WOT and all rpms, i.e. instant boost. The S Miller Cycle Engine was a horrible mistake by egotisticle Japanese engineers that instead of comitting Hari-Kari said "Look what we did".
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    You might want to get under it or have a muffler shop check your exhaust system for a missing heat shield or an exhaust leak.

2 hours at 80 should be nothing for almost any vehicle.
    The Only important change to the Millenia since it's debut in 95 was the front brake change to ~1" larger disc's. This made a vast improvement in stopping distance (from 144' to 122' from 60mph). Aparently few people in this group consider better brakes important>
    ""...rear sway bars reduce body roll tremendosouly. The '01/'02 literally drive like an entirely different car." FALSE"

The Millenia S does have a rear sway bar.

There have been numerous suspension tweeks to the Mill over the years too.

And why is the miller cycle such a bad engine?
  • jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    I have noticed a couple of times when I pull out the key that my steering wheel does not move - is there something that will keep it in place or do I need to take it to the dealer -

Thanks
  • 9sunset9sunset Member Posts: 23
    Time to say goodbye!
    Returned my 01 MMs to the dealer outlining all service had been performed on this car since
    Dec 18,01 to Jan 21, 02. In return I got my 99 maxima back; at the end of the day, I have lost $2000 Cdn.
    I appreciated all the feed backs from the member of this board.
    Good luck on your MM's
  • obioha1obioha1 Member Posts: 27
    hey guys, i've always read this board, but never suscribed, anyways. I love my '99 white/sand S and I think that it is one of the best kept secrets of the auto world. i was wondering if anyone has tried the antiroll kit offered by eibach from the tirerack. I like the handling of my car but it seems to roll in corners more than i would like.
    I would take it to the dealer, since yours is 2002 on warranty...
    The Millenia S does have a rear sway bar. No it does not!!!! If you know it does post a Mazda part number.

There have been numerous suspension tweeks to the Mill over the years too.
    Enumirate the "tweeks"

And to new to board obioha1 message 1137 the Millenia rolls horribly in corners, much more than my 02 Ford Ranger p/u and Eibach does NOT have an antiroll bar kit for the Millenia.

And why is the miller cycle such a bad engine?
    Other Automakers using the Otto Cycle have forged far ahead of the Mazda Miller cycle in both power and economy at a much lower cost.
  • obioha1obioha1 Member Posts: 27
    at tirerack, it says that there is an antirollkit for the millenia s as well as their prokit for lowering the vehicle. I don't know if this piece is vehicle specific or universal,but there is a kit for the car according to tirerack. rzawarski what's got you, these are just questions and comments, nothing personal. relax. I think that mazda should have over the years increased the horsepower of the miller cycle to stay ahead of the competition, like it started off with in '95 when it finished second only to the much lauded bmw 325i. since then it has steadily fallen behind the competition, finishing last in edmund's much biased comparison test.
    I definitely agree with obioha1....there certainly is an antiroll kit for the Millenia S (at least I KNOW there is for the 2000 S), also BOTH Eibach and HR make a lowering kit for the S.

I have spoken with one other Millenia owner who has the anti-roll and he said it is now a *much* better handling car (he also had the HR springs).

Here is the "tirerack" url. Goodluck!

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=Millenia+S&autoYear=2000

My 2001 Millenia S with 17 inch wheels corners very flat and has almost no roll, certainly much less than the Passat GLX I used to have. I see absolutely no problem with roll.

Tomek
    Bob,
    don't be so arrogant, know it all, and down-putting other people. If you go to Mazda Millenia standard features & warranties here on Edmunds under new cars, you'll see in the suspension section:
    - four-wheel independent suspension
    - front and rear stabilizer bar
    2001 had it, too. Any questions???
    Tomek
    Eibach says they don't have swaybars for the Millenia. Mazdausa does not mention a rear swaybar in their specs. Stop trying to shoot the messenger.
  • jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    I'm very happy with the cornering of my 2002 MM - I love taking it on winding roads - while yes there is a little roll it is a lot less than my Mustang. I did check the tire rack website and sure enough - you can order a swaybar kit for a MM.

Why does are board pick up so many trolls - I guess they are jealous of or great cars!
    Now we're getting somewhere... you're mis-informed, not well informed. On WWW.MAZDAUSA.COM click on Millenia and look for specs/features (the link is http://www.mazdausa.com/millenia/specs/default.asp?vehicle=millenia&zip=02081&did=51027&state=MA)

Prem S Model
    Front stabilizer bar S S
    Rear stabilizer bar --- S
    So the S has both stabilizer bars, the P only front. Edmunds is wrong in saying that P has both.

Does this little 10-second fact finding convince you?

Tomek
    T061-28-15X STABILIZER,RR - I welcome you on my turf anytime Bob.

I never said the miller cycle was the answer to engine design woes, I only asked what was wrong with it. In boost applications, it seems to be a smart way of eliminating various deficiencies. I am not a engine designer, so I ask for your input on this.
    First off- tommek, the reason you have no body roll is obviously because the suspension (ie. anti-sway bars) were utilized on the NEW 2001 S - and NOT on any previous model (ie. 2000 S which I own) nuff said....besides that, I have talked with reps from both Eibach and Tirerack today and the reason (rzawarski) that Eibach doesn't list them (I assume you merely checked the website!!) is because they are a NEW item for the Millenia S (only) and will be shipped out this February 2002 - tirerack has chosen to include them on their suspension parts list now - the anti-roll kit (both front and rear included) will be available in roughly 1 week. I hope this helps the present situation. BELIEVE NONE OF WHAT YOU HEAR AND HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE! ciao
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Thank you...I was about to correct this mis-informed missle myself....

Rich
    I hope it's true about the roll bars from Eibach.
    I have chased down rumors and offers to no avail for 3 years trying to find heavier sway bars for my S. 2 years ago I managed to get a rear sway bar from Japan thru Corksport.
    Mazda has spent very little money in upgrading the Millenia and none on the Miller Cycle. I don't know but I'm willing to bet that the front sway bar has remained unchanged and the rear sway bar is the same as I have on my S.
    You confirmed that I was right about Eibach Not offering sway bars for the Millenia which means I was wrong? Huh, Duh?
    Jeez,guys, take it easy, everybody is right, OK?

Tomek
    (happy he has both stabilizer bars on his flat-cornering 2001 Mill S)
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    One thing that stands out to me with my '01 Millenia P, is how well it handles, and how flat it corners. I am an average driver, not a road racer, but it really is a very good handling car. And fun.

As a matter of fact, except for nitpicking I have found nothing in the first 4400 miles to fault it for. My '95 Olds 88 is off my driving list except for trips to parking lots where some clod might do the door ding trick on my Millenia if I took it.

From the Mazda site:

http://www.mazdausa.com/millenia/specs/default.asp?vehicle=millenia&zip=02081&did=51027&state=MA)#4

"Front Suspension Independent multi-link, strut type w/coil springs & stabilizer bar

Rear Suspension Independent multi-link w/3 lateral + 2 longitudinal links & toe control; strut-type w/coil springs".

That is under "Specifications" for both the P and S.

From the 2001 Millenia Brochure:

"Fully independent multilink suspension with gas-filled shock absorbers and front stabilizer bar".

So where's the argument?
    Well I guess if you have your Phd in Philosophy there would be many different angles to make your self LOOK correct in the eyes of others, but alas you are still quite wrong....Eibach has simply not released it to the public yet, (ie. It has been planned and manufactured already) SO smartie pants - they do in fact OFFER the product and you can order one now if you like...Huh, duh? Besides you silly little boy, this forum is not about who's right and who's wrong it's about dispelling rumors and misinformation that some ignorant people (trolls or what-have-you) offer here. Rzarski PLEASE stop trying to "save face" and let's move on to a more intriguing topic...On that note has anyone tried the K & N air filter (#33-2672) for their S?...any difference and or problems?? Using it doesn't void the factory warranty does it???
    Several people have pointed out the error of my ways on the 01-02 Millenia factory swaybars.
    no need to repeat.

I'm willing to bet that no one on this list can find Mazda specs on the outside diameters of the 01-02 Millenia S front and rear swaybars.
    Good question about the filter. Other than anecdotal and "I really noticed a difference", is there any real, hard, measured evidence that K&N filters improve performance?

sceptical, Tomek
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Who cares?
    What do you not understand about "Available" and "Not Available"?
    The swaybars for the Millenia have been listed for well over a year at Tirerack. They are trolling to see if they can get enough customers
    to get Eibach to invest the money to produce swaybars for the Millenia. At $291 for the pair
    I don't "Beleive" Eibach can sell enough to recoup their investment.
    The K&N people Have done a terrific job in selling a product that the Mazda filter does just as well. It reminds me of what I read on other lists about merchants selling smaller pulleys for your supercharger (GM and MM S) to make them run at a higher speed for more boost. The boost is controled by the computer.
    Rzawarski, So basically what you are saying is that no matter how free the Mill S' engine breathes - it won't impact the car's "power" or gas mileage as they are both controlled via internal computers - and as I understand that; the supercharger crams the maximum amount of air in anyways??..Is this correct because if so, I will just use the OEM air filter for a quarter of the cost. With 15,000 miles I should probably change it now right?? Any help??
    No I did not say that at all!!!!!!!
    I said Mazda has done a fine job in selecting the filter for thier engines. In the case of the smaller pulleys, people said the car definitely had more power with the smaller pulley and of course it did not.

Don't spin my words or try to read things into what I wrote that is not there.
    Why not just get under a Millenia with a caliper or micrometer and measure them? You might even be able to use your charm to get a dealership technician to do it for you.

I must comment that you seem to have a pretty good knowledge base, but your confrontational attitude won't allow others to hear your points. It's a shame.

BTW, thanks for the miller cycle info...good stuff.
    There are seem to be a couple of them happening in here. Let's everyone please calm down and keep in mind that it is entirely possible to disagree in a civil and respectful manner.

In fact, your Membership Agreement requires it.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • dgreenbudgreenbu Member Posts: 3
    I am the proud new owner of a 1997 Millenia L with the Bose CD player.

1. I am having a problem with no sound coming from the door or dash speakers. When I turn the fader to front only and volume up as high as it will go I can just barely hear a little sound from the driver's door speaker. Any ideas? Is this a wiring problem or blown speakers or what?

2. To get a cd changer do I have to buy one from Bose? Has anyone experienced the new 6 CD in dash changer and is it compatible with this '97 car?

TIA
  • dgreenbudgreenbu Member Posts: 3
    Is there a way to search specific topics on this board without reading the messages one by one.
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    If it is possible to switch your unit out with the 6-disc in-dash cd changer, I highly recommend it. I had a cd changer in the trunk of my 626...the in-dash is so much nicer. It's easy to switch one or two cds while you are driving...and great for trips.
    You are asking if you can search within this discussion, right? Not yet. That is an "enhancement" that Web Crossing is supposed to be providing to us.

The Search feature on the left sidebar will search discussion titles. For instance, you could put Millenia in the box, and it will find all of the discussions with Millenia in the title.

But we are still waiting for a way to search for specific words within a single discussion.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board