Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• dgreenbudgreenbu Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Pat. That would be an invaluable upgrade
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Heh, you are absolutely right - and you know, the reason I put enhancement in quotes is because I CAN'T BELIEVE IT DOESN'T EXIST ALREADY!!

Ahem... pardon me for yelling.

:-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • ddrake30ddrake30 Member Posts: 18
    Dgreenbu, I did not have the upgraded Bose stereo in my 96 L, but would suspect that you would need to match the receiver with a Bose changer. However, Crutchfield.com and other retailers do offer some changers to match factory components, so maybe you should consult with them too. As for an aftermarket in-dash changer, most single or double DIN units should fit into the opening. As for wiring a new receiver, some on this board have suggested that changing out the Bose stereo can be difficult (it was a breeze to connect an aftermarket unit with the "standard" wiring harness.
  • obioha1obioha1 Member Posts: 27
    i test drove the new millenia and it felt more solid than my '99 with 30,000miles on it. I was wondering if there were any aftermarket parts that may give my car this more solid feeling. Maybe a strut tower brace or something. They say that mazda reinforced the sidesills but what does that exactly mean?
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    Well, I think they've 'stiffened' the car and increased torsional rigidity for 2001 by some significant percentage compared to previous model years. I wouldn't believe one can do much with after-market additions to stiffen the car's structure.
  • rzawarskirzawarski Member Posts: 47
    Congragulations the two of you have dual handidly managed to make this list into another Feel Good list. Spirited discussion NOT ALLOWED!!!!!
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    How the number of postings drops as the level of "spirited" conversation goes up. Sorry, but if I want spirit, I'll go elswhere or not go at all! We finally had our sunroof rattle corrected. They had to remove the roof liner to find the problem, but all is well now, and the new liner brought back that fabulous new car smell! All in all, our dealer experience was as good as can be expected for a hard to diagnose problem.
  • kimarij723kimarij723 Member Posts: 3
    Any chance that these wheels will fit my 98 Millenia. I know that the Mustang is rear wheel drive but I really dig those rims. Look far better than most of the rims i have seen. Thanks in advance.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I have never seen RWD rims with the proper ofset for FWD vehicles.

Although, I have seen a few Sentras that didn't seem to understand this...hehehe.
    Spirited conversation is fine, of course, and occurs throughout the Town Hall. The personal attacks that were taking place in here are not fine at all - this is a Town Hall principle that most of you already know and respect.

If anyone wants to discuss this subject any further, please address me off-line. It is not on topic here.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Bob,

can you please remind me how many stabilizer bars does a 2001 S have?
    Can you order one from Eibach?

Off topic: I think you are confused as to what "spirited" means. Go spirit ... somewhere else, or at least be helpful, and not disseminate wrong information.

Good luck-
    Tomek (censored a few times before...Pat can attest)
  • saxoniisaxonii Member Posts: 31
    Hey pal!

You must understand something folks here are little touchy when it comes to constructive criticism. Some of them even wonder about vette owners ... hoods. So bear in mind that if you do not follow party line you will be personally attacked. On the other hand, I perfectly understand them If I were to spend 25 big ones on a car that has not been significantly modified since 1995 (which is btw its first year of production) I would be pretty upset if somebody would point out how old and out of date their car is. So do not take their comments to your heart.
    FEEL THEIR PAIN! Ciao Saxon II
    Okay, now let's get back to discussing the car and stop talking about each other.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    I have posted on my website all of the differences I know about between the different model year Millenias...

www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte054i/mazda.html
  • mb595mb595 Member Posts: 17
    I am considering a 2002 Millenia P. It has been offered at 21,500 new. I am comparing to Honda Accord Sedan EX-6 at 23,200. Nobody I know drives the Millenia and the local Mazada dealer will not let me take it for more than a 5 minute spin. It seems like a very nice car for the money.

Can any owners give me an opinion on whether this is a good car for a one car couple and how they think it compares to Honda? What options are worth considering? The base engine puts out 170hp is the acceleration acceptable with the auto transmission? I would not consider spending the extra 3k for the S, so if acceleration is not acceptable I would go with the Honda which has 200hp but seems to drive faster given the smoothness of it transmission. Appreciate any thoughts, thanks.
    mb595,

1. Test drive
    I wouldn't buy from a dealer that won't let you really test drive it. I had my 01 S for half a day, ~40 miles test drive, including bringing it home so my wife could take a look at it / drive it without having to go to the dealer.

2. Power
    Base P didn't have enough "oomph" for me in city traffic (was OK at speed on the highway) but its all very relative and there is a guy here on this forum (fwatson) who is really happy with the power of his '01 P. On the other hand, 21.5 for P and 24.5 for S sound like good deals (especially the one on S - I paid 26K for my S in July 01).

Hope this helps -
    Tomek
    I got my 98 Base Millenia lowered (Eibach Pro Kit)last May and it looks great. About to put on some Chrome 16' inch wheels. It really bottoms out now when I go over bumpy surfaces other than that it is fine. Any place to shop for aftermarket struts or whatever to help reduce the "bottoming out". I would really like to keep it lowered but it is a bit too much on bumpy roads.
  • busserman2001busserman2001 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Milleniaum Edition new and love it, except for the HVAC control...it seems to have none. Most of the time the automatic control heats the cabin up too much. When on automatic, it only puts out to the feet, and they quickly bake. Selecting defrost only bakes your forehead. Selecting windshield and feet, or vent positon, gives thermostatic control.. sometimes.
    Many trips to dealer haven't fixed it; he says there are others with this problem, and Mazda can't, or won't, help. I called Mazda Canada, and basically they said the same thing. I find this unbelievable for a car just half-way through the warranty period. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you deal with it?
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    I visited your web site and found the comparison very informative. However I have one question pertaining to "revised steering for the 1997". Is it the steering wheel or the actual steering radius of the car. I always considered the mammoth turning radius of my 95S as Achille's heel. Did they improve on that for the 97+.
    Jean
    It was not the steering wheel...they did something to the actual steering. What exactly they did I'm not sure...I just remember reading it on a website somewhere when I had gathered all of this information. The steering radius on the newer Millenias is still bad...so I don't think that was changed.
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    tomekk is correct in saying that I am very satisfied with the power of my '01 P. If others want, or for some reason "need" more than the power this car provides, all I can say, is get something else.

But if you are comparing it to a Honda Accord at $21500, which is $150 less than the terrific deal I got on mine, I think you are comparing getting an excellent but dirt common car in the Honda, as compared to an excellent and beautiful one with the Millenia. They are both outstanding in the reliability department. For anyone wanting to argue that point, go to Carpoint,

http://carpoint.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.asp

or Consumer Reports and compare the charts.

And you will not spend all day in the Walmart parking lot trying to tell your car from the others identical to it.

Horsepower? "The Accord 2.3-liter 4-cylinder provides either 135 or 150 horsepower. That engine is small for a midsize car, so both versions provide just average acceleration above 65 mph. However, the 150-horsepower version allows easy cruising once up to speed."

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Jedlicka/Honda/Accord/2001.asp

For the price you are talking for a NEW car, I do not think you are going to get a V-6 in an Accord. If you did, you would have an otherwise stripper car. The Millenia has almost no options to consider, as it is already a complete near luxury car including slide/tilt sun roof, leather interior and an excellent sound system. There is a Bose system available with a 6 changer. That is a personal decision. Other than that I see nothing the car lacks, especially at that price.

The 170HP in my Millenia has never left me in a bind, and I am generally the first away at a traffic light. That is not to say it is a drag racer, because it is not, and was never intended to be one. All in all, I would say if you opt for the Accord over the Millenia for the same price, you have made a very unwise decision. Now for a question. Why would you pay more for an Accord to get the 200 HP engine, and refuse to pay more for the 210 HP engine in the Millenia? That seems like strange logic to me.

As for depreciation, that depends on how long you keep the car. After about four years it is a totally moot point.

Oh, one minor point. The first comment from my 39 year old son when he first saw it was, "wow, what a sweet ride, expecially for a 4 door sedan". I doubt he would have had that reaction to an Accord.

• mb595mb595 Member Posts: 17
    Features: The Accord EX-6 has an in dash CD changer standard, no Bose is availible, no heated seats / mirrors. TCS is standard. It is quite loaded for a family sedan lacking only driver memory. The lumbar support is a rather questionable system consisting of an inflatable bladder that releases when pumped too stiff passenger power seat is only 4 ways which would be find except the seat is low slung and can't be adjusted, kind of lounge postition for the passenger.

The Millenia doesn't have a lot in extra features and lacks a fold down rear seat.

As far as engines: Honda 4 on LX and EX models is 150hp, I didn't test it so I have no idea what the acceleration is like, several professional reviews have commented they prefer the 6. When I test drove Honda 6 it was smooth and quick, not a street racier by any means but it felt quicker than the much higher rated maxima/I35 engine. This could be do to the transmission on them which was not a smooth. Cost was a factor but it was a comparison between a 4 and a 6 rather than a choice between 6's with modifications.

I have not had any experience comparing engines from the same manufacturer but have found that 6's give a nicer feel than 4's even if the hp to weight ratio is similar. In the Millenia the basic 6 is low HP but this seems to be because they choose to go with natural aspiration and didn't try to tweak it. Instead they decided to trick up the Miller, which while a fantastic technical feat leaves me a little skeptical as most turbo / supercharging tricks are prone to lag depending on RPM's and inconsistant performance depending on weather conditions heat, humidity etc. No doubt on a cool, dry day a properly adjusted turbo feels awesome.

Deciding to go with a 6 over a 4 for a 33% increase in HP for about $1500 difference versus a 6 natural v a 6 tricked with 22% increase in HP for about $2000 is not equivelent. These prices are adjusted to roughly account for other increased features that come with the models for instance in the Honda the upgrade includes ABS, TCS and Leather for 3k. On the Mazada you add TCS, Bose and a rear anti-rollbar for 3k.

The comparison is between 200hp Honda for 23,200, 170hp Mazada for 21,500 and 210 Mazada for 24,500.

Over course this is moot if the 170hp provides enough zip to make merging, passing and steep uphills not a problem, this is the sort of functional analysis that only someone who has driven the car can attest too. The actual performance of a car varies a ton from what the stat books say even before after market tweaking and age are factored in. And the actual performance in traffic has as much to do with the driver.
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    We too were looking at the MP and Accord ES-V6. It is my wife's car so she did most of the test drives. Her opinion on the Accord V6 is that she really had to put her foot into it to get it to go to the more aggressive timing setting I guess. She actually likes the MP better in that regard. That said, I think the engine in the Honda is probably a better engine all around, especially on gas mileage, but the MP is just fine for us.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    You made a really brilliant choice.
  • jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    I own the MM - P and the basic accelaration is very good I have had no problems passing, starting or going up a hill. The power is fine for me (my other car now is a Jeep with V6).

However, my understanding of the Miller Engine is that it does not suffer from the lag proplem nor being prone to change due to the weather -

I would diffently find another dealer who will let you drive the car a little longer or if that is the only dealership - tell them that you want to take the car out for a while and if you like it your going to buy it - if they won't let you do this - you may need to drive a bit to find a better dealer -

This is a great car and I think that by the posting you can see that the owners really like thier car - except for one person who doesn't even own the car.
    Pat is going back, removing a lot of messages (i.e. my message to SaxonII enumerating the changes in Millenia for 2001) very selectively and in general making this disussion overcensored and much useless. I don't think it is worth my time to continue visting this forum because of Pat (nedrani, not that your message to saxonii is gone, too).

I'm moving to yahoo Mazda board - maybe we'll get some real discussion going there...:

just search Yahoo for Mazda Millenia and go to community message boards for Mazda

http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?action=topics&board=yahoo.30.13.8313861&type=r

Bye.

Tomek

• jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    Nice website - One thing the replacement for the Millenia will be the RX8 when it is introduced as either a 2003 or 2004 model (can't rember which).
    I don't know what you meant by that. Explain further. Can you help me on the suspension??? Make suggestion or anything????
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    As you all know this is the last year of Millenia as we know it...But Mazda has informed me that they have a team working on a possible Millenia replacement but don't expect anything for a few years.
    I have removed some messages that contain personal attacks in accordance with your Membership Agreement.

I will be happy to discuss the issues off-line if anyone wishes to email me - pat@edmunds.com. Also, you are welcome to get in touch with our Consumer Services Manager, Jonah Brown, who is ultimately the person in charge of the Town Hall. You can email him here: jbrown@edmunds.com.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    You won't find much on the Yahoo boards unless you are interested in body kits, red painted brake calipers and 20 inch wheels. I have followed all the Mazda and Millenia boards for 4 months, and this is the only one that I generally bother to respond to. The others seldom have any mature discussion.

I'm just not interested in their attempts to change their cars with custom parts etc. If that is your thing, good luck.

This is the best moderated forum I have ever been a part of.
    You're right about the Miller Cycle not having any lag like the base engine. After having driven a 99 base for 2 years...I can tell a major difference in having the S model. Eventhough I'm not getting great gas mileage...I'm having a lot more fun driving the S, then I did the 2.5L.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Come on Tommek dont let the host get to you, actually i think you and fwatson give the best advise on this board.Stick around and enlighten folks more about the great Millenia.

As for me I gave back my Millenia to the bank- lease expired.I am test driving a lot of goodies out there just having fun until the bonus check arrives in late March.

One point I have to make regarding the Acura 3.2 TL, this car has a lot of horses,but it labors at high RPM'S I crossed it off my list.Give me some feedback on this TL issue
  • nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    He is not relaying any informative help - he is just being a jerk. Call Eibach and ask them for recomendations - also check
    www.sounddomain.com
    Search "member pages" for Mazda Millenia (there are like 15 or so listed) a few people there have lowered their Millenia's and may have more advice for you and their emails are usually listed unlike here. The Millenia (IMHO) is already too low.
    Hence the old saying "if it's not broken don't fix it". Good luck!
    Your mechanic may be correct. Carbon buildup is usually caused by leakey valve seals, cylinder blowby, but in the case of the 95S by worn (mechanical) seals on the Lysholm Compressor (S/C). This last one can easily be checked by removing the front intercooler (only four bolts to remove). Mazda has an M-tip on this situation. If you wish I will email it to you,
    It is definitely not a sticking hydraulic lifter because the S has solid lifters.
    Your slight smoking after startup will most assuredly become a hugh cloud in the not too distant future (20,000 miles or so)
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Any comments on Mazda dropping the Millenia for 2003?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    near certain...
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    tomcat...

the primary reason for dropping the Millenia is due to emmissions regulations. The current car does not come close to the latest EPA requirements.
  • doepeldoepel Member Posts: 20
    Please email me this M-tip as well. Thanks...
    I have done extensive research on this Miller Cycle, Five SAE papers written by Mazda and IHI.
    ----- Original Message -----
    To:
    Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 9:40 PM
    Subject: [mazda]

This is a M-tip for the compressor...there is no TSB....
    Doug Auchey
    Mazda Master Tech
    Mazda South
    Austin Texas
    www.mazdastuff.com
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: M-tip Lysholm Compressor
    Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 1:51 PM
    Text Editor COL 1 TO 72 OF
    72 BRWS
    ....+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5....+....6....+....7..
    TOP 0002547 Dealer Repair Information
    *==* Excessive oil consumption under normal engine running conditions.
    *==**==* Disconnect air intake pipe from the front charge air cooler and
    inspect
    *==* for excessive oil in the pipe and cooler. If excessive oil is found
    *==* replace the lysholm compressor*==**==* Parts Information:
    *==* The lyshom compressor was modified to reduce this concern starting
    with*==* part number KJ01-20-7AXC*==**==* Production Information:
    *==* The modified compressor has been installed at production since
    January 1, 1995. Starting with Vin No. JM1TA222*S1381777 BOT

Text is inquiry mode only. F3=Exit.
    1-Hlp 2-Can 3-End 4-F/C 5-RFd 6-RCh 7-Up 8-Dwn 9-Top 10-Lft 11-Rt
    12-Btm
    Replacing the seals is not an option. I don't know what comes first but there is a twofold problem which will make repair of the Lysholm prohibitively expensive. The seals and the timing gear on the L/C seem to wear quickly (between 60,000 and 90,000 miles). The L/C B rotor spins at ~6 times engine rpm, when new the rotors do not touch each other or the case, the timing gear keeps them in exact sync. As the timing gear wears the rotors rub against each other creating great friction and heat as the
    b rotor spins to it's max of 37,000 rpm.
  • busserman2001busserman2001 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced problems with the electronic heater controls on these cars, as described in my message #1219, Jan. 30, 2002?
    Mine regulates the AC ok in summer, but in the winter it really overheats the car on defrost, and doesn't work very well at all when on automatic. Is it just mine? My dealer hasn't been able to fix it so far, and I would like to know how many others have had this, and were they able to get it fixed.
    Those who are looking for a good deal on MM -S. It can be bought for 22.5K in NYC Long Island - Great Neck area. it seems like a good price even if it is 2001(brand new left over). The ad comes from Friday's Newsday. Ciao ! SAXON II
    To Rzawarski: I am glad that you post on this board unlike other people you seem to tell it like it is and as much as I enjoy heated debate and exchange of ideas, having my address posted on this board (as done by Tomekk and then being upset with Pat for taking it down and leaving this forum) is not something that I seek. Be that as it may my question is:
    What is your honest and unbiased opinion on
    Mazda Millenia S specifically its compressor?
    Thanx and keep the spicy posts going!
    Ciao SAXON II
  • acabral1acabral1 Member Posts: 122
    rzawarski, Everything you stated is completley inaccurate! The 01/02 MM-S has front and rears sway-bars, you can clearly see them! (I own one) That is if you know what they are. Furthermore, the Miller Cycle is a Centrifugal Supercharger! I have a detailed comparative analysis on each major supercharger and turbocharger, detailing the pros/cons of each!

It's obvious (I hope!) your intentions were to purposely miscomprehend my comments of the Manumatic transmissions as being a selling "gimmick". Bye the way, the 01/02 Millenia's does have a more refined suspsension, and chassis, improving handling. (owned a predecessor too).
    My friend, to much of your imformation referencing the Millenia and my previous post is INACCURATE. The MM-S uses a L-Compressor YES! But the engine is a Centrifugal Supercharger.

I always welcome educated comments toward my posts, but spare the snide remarks! Let's keep the forum as civilized & professional as possible.

Regards,
    rzawarski, I had to quote your comments below! Oh Boy! C'mon dude, try again! Your comments below aren't simply subjective thier (expletive) Factory equipped brakes are always mediocore, unless they're slotted or crossed-drilled and EOM. Please note that I am not arguing the facts, just your $0.02 (where did you'll find this guy)

Written by: rzawarski

"The Only important change to the Millenia since it's debut in 95 was the front brake change to ~1" larger disc's. This made a vast improvement in stopping distance (from 144' to 122' from 60mph). Aparently few people in this group consider better brakes important>"
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    How good is the base 2.5-liter DOHC V-6 engine when it comes to overall reliability and durability?