Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• casmiras01casmiras01 Member Posts: 11
    I believe the car is not a s edition and what is the standard price for new tires? I really like this car, but if it cant make it to vegas or san francisco than maybe I should pass. Am I making a mistake if I can get this car for 3500 bucks. I only need it for some long distance trips and local driving? What are your experiences with this car getting 150000 or 200000 miles on the engine. Consumer reports recommends this car and for the price its not bad.
    I really need advice before I spend the money
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    The '95 Millenia uses a 15" wheels (I think 215/60R15), so tires that size with installation and balancing (for four of them), would run about $350 max. I do think that most Millenia (non-salvaged title) that's taken care off well, would reach 200,000miles with no problem. Off-course you'll have to shelf some big bucks for some of it's major services.
    $3500 for a salvaged titled Millenia, if it still drives fine is worth the money. Where else can you get something this nice for $3500? just my 2c
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    After 20+ years experience in the auto business I would NOT buy a salvage car for anybody in my family to ride or drive. Forget about the possible mechanical issues. The safety related items built into the structure of the car (crumple zones, safety cell, etc) have been terribly compromised...my life and my families life isnt worth saving a few thousand dollars.

You get what you pay for...remember, if the car is being offered to you its because alot of experts passed on the car already.
    I agree with audia8q, I wouldn't buy one for my family or for me, but everyon ehas different needs right. One of my co-worker has been driving his '96 Honda Civic coupe which he bought with salvaged title for a few years now with no major problems.
  • obioha1obioha1 Member Posts: 27
    I know that there have been many heated debates on the comparison of these two cars but I am thinking of trading in my '99 pearl/sand mill s with 33,000 miles and was thinking on these two cars. I know that some on this board are familiar with both cars so their input is highly welcomed. At a local dealership I found a '01 millenia s that was blk/silver,chrome wheels and 4 seasons package,6 disc changer for 23,995. I also saw in a newspaper a beige '02 maxima se with leather and roof with 13,000 miles for 25,600. Which ever car I decide I plan on keeping for at least 5 years, which brings me to why this decision is a hard one for me. I checked at my local dealer and the cost for the the timing chain replacement on the mill s is $850.00 and the cost to replace the plugs are $250.00 plus tax. These amounts don't include the costs of the 60,000 service. Nissan recomends changing the timing belt on the maxima every 105,000 miles and their double tipped platinum spark plugs require changing every 100,000 miles. I haven't had any problems with my millenia thus far but a few drivers have noted a few problems when the mileage increases. The '01 mill s drove great with great brakes and the handling was quite impressive, but with the maxima (I haven't got around to test driving) for that price I get HID lights, 255hp, memory seats, one touch sunroof,auto up/down windows (with remote control), rear spoiler,and home link. The fit and finish in the mill was better than in the maxima and the mill's suspenison is more advanced, with the ride being a little more plush. Cost of ownership/reliability is what my main areas of deciding will be based upon. Any input or suggestions in this matter will be much appreciated.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    On the Maxima:

IMO a 02 Maxima SE with 13,000 miles for $ 25K is a rip-off. Go to your Nissan dealer, drive one first, and if you like it and know how to bargain, you can get a brand new Maxima SE for invoice or below around ~$25-26K. Nissan is literally giving away Maximas right now so there is a LOT of room for negotiation.

Maxima vs. Millenia.

It's really a matter of taste here. Both very reliable cars, maintenance/cost pf ownership favors the Maxima. As you know the MM is more luxo oriented, while the Maxima has a more sporty character.

If I were you I'd drive them back to back and then pick.

Good luck

Speed
  • rzawarskirzawarski Member Posts: 47
    Test
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Your microphone is a little loud...turn it down a notch.
    CAUTION!!!! Higher wattage bulbs may cause a fire!!!!
  • kngmke1kngmke1 Member Posts: 14
    I actually had a pair in the mine. The driver's didn't catch fire, but it did melt the connector. Mazda does not sell just the connector, so I had to go a junkyard & clip one to replace the bad one. The lights only lasted 8 months & within 1 day of the 1st one burning up the passenger side failed, however it didn't melt anything. If you are looking for color, I would sylvania cool blue at standard wattage.
    I agree with speedracer3 ("IMO a 02 Maxima SE with 13,000 miles for $ 25K is
    a rip-off ") but I am certainly not an expert on "deals". Others on this
    list know much more
    about "deals" than I do.

That said I urge you not to buy any car with a timing belt, especially a
    Mazda.
    Most manufacturers have decided to eliminate timing belts by
    switching to chains, including Mazda. Old technology is better, in this
    case

The 60,000 mile timing belt change is a ripoff by Mazda!!! Read your
    "Owners Manual", "Scheduled Maintenance", "Timing belt". Specifys that
    California and Massachesettes cars the belt is warrented for 105,000 miles.
    Mazda does not have State specific belts, all cars use only one belt per
    application, regardless of the state it is sold in.

Mazda has chosen the immoral way. Nissan has chosen the moral way and
    decided if they have to warrenty the belts in CA and MA they might as well
    warrent the belts in all states.
  • saxoniisaxonii Member Posts: 31
    Everybody knows that Nissan Maxima has a much better engine than mazda millenia base or supercharged. Go with the Nissan. If you really want to get Maxima for cheap that is around 23k for brnad new 2002 Maxima Gle with everything, than go to the Nissna max forum there are guys who bought the car from Canada (brand new) and apparently the warranty and everything else is legit here in USA. The only problem is that your speedometer will show km. insted of miles - a minor inconvenience. Now you decide Mazda Millenia base with less than 18o hp and technology made circa 1994 and brand new maxima with all the goodies that will leave millenia so far back is not even funny. (unless you enjoy being beat by high school boys with their Honda Civic si's, get the Maxima). I have driven both, there is no comparison, and do not be fooled by mazda's attempts to push millenia as a luxury or even semi-luxury car - it is not. It doesn't compare with real luxury like Merc or Lexus, trust me no one under the age of 75 will confuse your new Millenia for those two brand mentioned above, and it does not have enough push and pull with its weak engine to compete with Maxima, Acura , Infinity not to mention anything that is coming from BMW.You do the math: 255 hp v. 210. Trust me, do not waste your precious dollars on the Millenia unless you enjoy being taken for a ride. Look Millenia is as luxurious as Buick, would you drive a Buick?????? OK, I ma sorry to those who drives Buicks, hey in 40 years when I am ready to move to Florida or Arizona it will probably be my choice too, but for now no buick or Millenia for me. Just my 2c Ciao! Saxon II
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    Well, the anti Millenia, horsepower is the only thing that matters troll is back.
  • nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    Please do come join us in:

www.mymillenia.com
    It would be quite something to have someone with your expertise involved in this other chat. LOL
  • mb595mb595 Member Posts: 17
    Brand New in USA Maxima SE with many options around 23k and GLE loaded for 26k are very possible. MM is good car but doesn't compare straight up with Maxima in terms of luxury, features, room and speed. Handling and front seat comfort are close. I think the MM has a better ride. You also get a better warranty with Maxima, higher CR reliability rating and more residual value. But why these two cars? Accord V6 only drawback is styling and small tires which hinder handling, they are selling at invoice. Or Altima very quick and inexpensive 4 or fast 6 which is less of a value. New Altima is more styling than the soon to be replaced Maxima.
  • kngmke1kngmke1 Member Posts: 14
    85 watt Solaris with fiberglass bulb base from Autosupermart.com Best warranty out there (90 days), & same responses to the FAQ as you outlined above. I believe the issue is wattage to wire size it was not a case of shorting out 1st. I also did a lot of driving with my lights on, but still they should last more than 8 months. I forgot to mention that my H3 55W fogs by the same company failed about 2 weeks later. So would check them on a routine basis. Awesome look while they lasted though. Good luck.
    Pat, please go ahead and remove my other post.

here's a link to the FAQ for aftermatker bulb from PIAA, CATZ and others

http://www.autobulbdepot.com/fr_bulb_faq.tpl?cart=3097247379815959

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Ok, I managed to switched one of my car's CATZ lightbulbs with the orginal bulb and take a digital shot of it. One note though, these pics doesn't do justice of how much brighter and whiter the CATZ bulbs are compared to the original ones.

I also post a pic of the Falken tires that I've been using for the past few months. These falkens are one of the cheapest replacement tires for Millenia S's 17" tires. So far I've been very happy with this set of tires. The noise level is about the same as the Dunlops and it looks good too.

Here's the link. click "My Album" when you're there to see description of each album.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/indopirate

For those potential buyers who are still thinking of getting MM here is something interesting - G35.
    Unlike Mazda, Nissan was able to introduce Infinity and its newest creation: G35. What is not to like here????? Please those who still have not decided, look this one over, it beats Millenia both base and S in any category. Yes it is a little bit more expensive but from what the folks on both Maxima and infinity are saying you can get it for about 25 - 26K from Canada with all the goodies. Apparently Nissan has no problem when Americans buying their cars from Canada and they are much cheaper up there. Also it is perfectly legal and the warranty is valid in US. Do not buy a car that was created in 1995. Ciao Saxon II
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    I've been getting better gas mileage lately, for whatever reason. Averaging around 21.5 mpg, was getting about 18.5 mpg.
    With just under 5000 miles on my '01 Millenia P, I am averaging about 22.2 overall.
    Why is it that you continue to allow posts by a certain unnamed individual when there are other Millenia comparison forums? All that tends to happen is some heated battle about what a loser this poster is.

If you are going to moderate these boards, why not be effective about it?
    We need a troll trap.
    Folks, the only effective way to deal with a troll is to ignore him. The more attention you give a troll, the more he posts. The responses are his reward and they keep him coming back.

The only time I remove posts is if they violate the Membership Agreement. All of our Town Hall members are free to post in all of our Town Hall discussions as long as they keep to the terms of that agreement.

Moderating a discussion "effectively" does not mean removing posts by one member because several other members don't like them. That's not what we do around here.

Just ignore him. He will get bored and go away. The more you strike back at him, the more encouragement you are giving him. And some of you, as you know, have violated the MA yourselves in your responses. If a post is outside of that agreement, it must be removed no matter who posted the message under what provocation.

Now this last string of messages is totally off-topic and needs to stop. If anyone wants to continue this conversation, please feel free to email me. Meanwhile, ignore, ignore, ignore.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    And his post isn't off topic?

Amazing
    Wellll, at least he was talking about the subject of the discussion, which we have not been doing.

For as much as I believe what I just posted, I also hear what you folks are saying. How about we make a new rule from this post forward:

If you want to compare the Millenia to some other vehicle, go to the Comparisons - Sedans vs. Sedans board to do so. This discussion will be reserved for those who want to focus primarily on the Millenia. We have an appropriate venue for comparisons and this is not the right place.

Deal?

Note that we cannot restrict the conversation to purely positive posts, though - that's where we need exercise restraint and refrain from encouraging those folks who annoy us.

I think there is an echo in here (not a Toyota!), but let's try to take any further conversation about this off-line, okay? And get back to the Millennia, like you all keep saying you want to do?

:-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    I do not understand why people do not want to hear the other side of the story. Millenia is not the perfect car and people should not get bent out of shape when they are told that all cars have pros and cons and Millenia is no exception. In my last post I merely stated that there is a new car on the market: G35 which in my opinion and not only mine is a very good automobile. It is not my fault that it is fast powerful, stylish, and has a good price to boot. If mazda were to come up with something similar I would also post it. As a matter of fact I am awaiting the introduction of the new RX and if the car delivers I will mention that. For what is worth RX7 was a very good car and Mazda showed that they CAN build good cars. Moreover, I also stated that that Millenia is a good solid car.
    For those who are upset about my posts, well do not read them. I am not attacking you guys, it is the car. Ciao SAxon II
    Well, saxonii, unless there are some number of objections which I have not yet heard, I think we just decided that comparisons of the Millenia to other vehicles are out of place in this particular discussion.

Please feel free to visit the Comparisons board (as linked in my previous post) to pursue your personal opinions on the vehicles that better the Millenia. And of course we have a number of discussions dedicated to many single vehicles that may interest you. If you need any help finding any of them, please let me know.

Thank you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Well, my 2000 Millenia S just passed 41000 miles today and darn it, I still love this car!. Going home during monday light traffic here in LA, I zig zag my way around traffic with ease, going from 70 to 90mph with a supercharge engine is such a pleasant experience. I love this car more and more each day.
    Just thought I share this with you all.

BTW, on the way to work this morning, I saw a dark green 2001 or 2002 Millenia S. I think the new tailights and more aggresive lic plate housing makes this car looks a lot more modern than my 2000 MM. Actually, I like the new rear end design better than any other sedan in the market right now, with an exception to Jaguar S-type and Audi A8 .

cheers
    Sounds like you guys are declaring the Millenia a Religion!!! Only Beleivers allowed in this place of Worship. Non beleivers Banned!!!
    I think the point is that there is already a Millenia comparison forum set up. If a particular poster feels the need to compare cars, do it in the appropriate place.

We all know the millenia has its flaws and I'm sure every owner wants to be aware of problems they may face. It doesn't need to be a love fest, but it also shouldn't be a bitter heated battle that goes in the same circle time and time again. Mr. S does not come in here because he feels compelled to tell the world that they need Nissan, he comes in here because this is the only place he can get a shred of attention.

And as for you Bob, you have plenty of good info to share but you tend to come across as one who hates the car he drives instead of somebody who can benefit the forum.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    Recently in our local papers I have seen new 2002 Millenias advertised for $19500-20700. If I was in the market now, even with the end of the Millenia near, I would jump at buying one! For about the price of a base Toyota Camry or Honda Accord you could own something much more! There is no comparison. Take advantage if you can. I wish I could. Enjoy. Zoom, zoom, zoom :)

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Hail to Millenia owners and potential buyers:

This is probably the only board where comparing one brand of car to others is banned. WOW!!!!
    Are you guys that scared ??? Hey, if it makes all of you happy I will refrain from comparing Millenia to other cars. It is unfair to Millenia I admit. There are very few cars that were designed in what 1993/94 that are still on sale so I should curtail my criticism a little. I respect senior citizens and I extend the same courtesy to cars that have been around unchanged this long. On a more happy note, by the next year, Millenia is going to be history and we will all be able to forget about it. I generally do not like to attend funerals but this one I will celebrate. Ciao Saxon II
    why do you celebrate it? Did the Millenia cause you some pain or sufferring?

There's a good book at B & N that you should read:

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/02022111011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/4840000/4841052.gif

• mackman1mackman1 Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone!
    I'm new to this message board and just wanted to say that i found Saxonii's mention of the Infiniti G35 very useful since i'm currently deciding whether to buy a 2002 Mazda Millenia or a similar vehicle. Since Saxonii mentioned G35 a few days ago I've been weighing the pros & cons of buying an MM vs. G35.
    Don't you think that this board deserves the same freedom of speech as granted in our constitution.

You never know when someone will benefit from any info on this board (whether related to MM or not).
    I applaude all those that stand behind their beliefs and let's all make an effort to co-exist peacefully in this board.
    I don't personally object to comparing my Millenia to any other car on earth. I know from personal experience the Millenia is an excellent car in every way, and outclasses 90% of the cars being built today, whether they were designed in 1903 or 2002. It only shows how far ahead the Millenia was in 1995 that it is still a totally modern car today.

The Millenia's only downfall is that Mazda never accomplished their goal of making it the entry level offering in a new division, called Amati, with it's own dealerships. It was always sold as the top Mazda, and received almost nothing in the way of promotion. Had it been promoted the same as Lexus or Infinity, it would have had a very different run than it has. As it is, other than the horsepower war, and lack of the totally unneeded (for most people) Navigational system, this is a far better car for the money than anything else selling for the same price. Too bad some people are on a campaign to try to destroy it's reputation.

My only problem is with people coming on a discussion board with only one agenda, and that agenda being to trash the topic of the discussion for no other reason than to start arguments.

That said, I hope that ******* is not lying when he says he will quit that practice. Thanks ******* for that, provided you live up to it.

And mackman1, you will not find a G35 at anything even remotely approaching the great price you can get on a new Millenia. When you go to the Mazda dealer, let them know you will settle for nothing less than the absolute rock bottom, out the door price, or go to another dealer. Several of us have bought "P"'s for less than $22000, and "S"'s for under $25000. It will be a long time before you get a comparable G35 for much under MSRP. The G35 is no doubt a wonderful car. So is the Millenia, and it comes as a fully loaded near luxury car, with almost no options. In other words, you don't have to pay extra for the extras. Good luck with your shopping. Some car dealers can be a real headache.
    in comparing the 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis with the 2000 Mazda Millenia S?? It sure would make for a great comparison...LOL :-)...j/k
    I wish we had 1st amendment rights here in Town Hall, instead we are subject to: http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/memberagreement.html

In light of the fact that I can't tell him what an idiot he is for not actually comparing anything, he has to stay on topic. Sounds fair eh?
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    Now you know why I've had my own Web site for nearly six years. And while it doesn't draw as much traffic as Town Hall, in its particular areas of specialization it does a wonderful job, if I say so myself. (Which I did, just now.)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We are looking for lawyers (any age, sex, kind of car) who are car nuts.

Please respond by March 9 to lordusky@aol.com

Any questions? Contact Edmunds.com PR at jfallon@edmunds.com

Thanks!
    kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• casmiras01casmiras01 Member Posts: 11
    I am going to buy a 95 millenium for about 3500 bucks that has a salvage title. I read some of the earlier posts on how expensive this car can be to fix. The car has 94k miles and had two questions. The first question: Can these cars make it to 200k no problems with regular maitenance. 2nd q: Can I bring this car to a regular mechanic and put cheap fixer parts on it so it runs ok? Thanks for any imput?
    I want to spend the least amount of money fixing this car. The radio is broke also dont know whats wrong antenae goes up but no sound to speakers and radio comes on?
    Thanks guys
    Stay away from this one. The parts are super expensive,and no it will not make to 200K. For that kind of money you can get a much better deal buying Maxima or Accord. Both offer solid peformance and last a long time. Millenias are good vehicles but the one you describe is not worth the $$$$$. Before you buy check the prices for parts and ask your mechanic what he thinks about Millenias. If I were you I would keep on looking. Ciao Saxon II
    Just curious what area you are in that they are selling new 2002 Millenias for $19.5K.
    I'd be very interested in calling the dealer and ordering the car right away.
    Thanks for any info you can provide.
    I'm close to purchasing a 2002 Millenia "P" and have a few questions that i'd like to have answered by current 2001 & 2002 Millenia owners.

1) How noisy is the ride? Any squeeks or rattles at hiway speeds?

2) Is the transmission sluggish (not smooth) or indecisive especially on downshifts between 2nd & 3rd gear?

3) Is the transmission harsh & noticeable on upshifts?

4)Is it advisable to use regular unleaded gas?
    Curious if any current owners only use regular gas and is there a noticeable difference if use only premium gas?

5) Is the radio placed too low in the dash where you notice that the gear shifter is in the way of using the radio easily?

Answers to these questions will be much appreciated.
  • mcrane1mcrane1 Member Posts: 3
    I've read mixed reviews on the 2.5L 170hp engine presently powering the 2002 Millenia.

Is it a waste of money to buy a Millenia w/ the base 2.5L engine?
    What are the engine's strengths & weaknesses?

I luv the car but not sure if i should get the base engine or perhaps consider another make & model.

I'm not interested in spending a few more thousand for the Miller cycle engine(not in my budget.

Thanks for any replys.
    To answer mackman1's questions:
    1. I have the 2000 S model and can tell you that the ride is very comfortable and quiet (even more quieter and more comfy on the "P" model as it's using a 16" wheels and thicker tires). I have test drove the 2.5V6 model and I feel that at idle it's actually a quieter and smoother engine than the "S" model.
    Rattle free car for as long as I have it; 2 years and 2 months.

2. Transmission is very smooth during regular city/highway driving, but could get undecisive while going up the mountain.

3. It's actually shifts between gear very smoothly in city/freeway driving.

4. I don't know about the "P" model's 2.5V6, but the "S"'s supercharge engine needs premium.

5. Not a problem at all, the gear lever is nowhere near in blocking the radio; only when it's in "P".
    To answer mcrane1:

You asked if it's a wate of money to get a Millenia witn 2.5V6 engine. Well, if you're planning to race an Acura TL or the likes, then this is not the engine for you. From what I heard from other owners in this forum that drives the "P" Millenia and from my own experience test dirving this model, the engine is more (I said More) than adequated for regular city/freeway driving. Put it this way, I think accelleration of this engine is equal if not better than a base 4cyl Honda Accord or Toyota Camry; so again more than enough for regular driving.

This 2.5V6 is a very quiet and smooth engine, except at high rpm where it start to get noisy. From my understanding, this engine is one of the more reliable V6 engine; it's been out since 1993, then revised and still no major problems/recalls that I know off.
    Hope this helps.