Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    Your questions sound slightly leading, as if you are expecting problems.

I have owned an '01 P for six months. It now has about 4700 miles on it.

1-The only time it seemed less than quiet was when I took it home from the dealer, about a 90 mile drive. There was quite a bit of tire noise on that trip. The next morning, after it had had a chance for the tires to cool down, I checked the tire pressure. They are supposed to be at 32lb front, 29lb rear. I found 35 to 36 lbs in all four tires. That means the rear were overinflated by 6 to seven lb. I removed the excess air. Instant relief. Absolutely no body noises at highway speeds, and only minor motion sound when crossing railroad tracks at very slow speed, something found in virtually all cars.

2-Transmission seemed a little indecisive when new. Now it is excellent. I think it reprograms electronically as you drive it. Of course it WILL downshift on mountain roads. It has to to keep the engine in proper range. That can be easily locked out if it bothers you.

3-Absolute no sound from the transmission, except the normal turbo whine which you hear only if you are not running the sound system. After all, it is an automatic, and my Olds 88 has more of this sound than the Millenia.

4-I have run 87 octane gasoline since new, with absolutely no degradation in performance from the original 93 octane the dealer had put in it. The owners manual recommends premium, but says it is permissable to run as low as 87 octane. On the other hand, the S "Requires" 93 octane or higher. There also is no ping etc from the use of 87. The EEC Module automatically adjusts for the octane change.

5-The placement of the radio, is not even close to the shift lever. Plus you have volume/station change controls on the steering wheel.

Next post:

Unless you are a member of the Stop Light Grand Prix Association, the car has great, and extremely quiet and smooth performance. That it does not is a figment of the imagination of those members of the racing and hot rod set. If you want a drag racer buy something else. If you want very satisfactory performance for normal street car use, buy this beautiful and great driving car for a givaway price that won't even get you a mediocre equipped CamCord.

I have never experienced the high speed engine noise referred to by csuftitans. But on the other hand, the fastest I have driven the car, is about 105 to 110 MPH, where it was butter smooth in all respects. It is a great highway cruiser.
  • stbissstbiss Member Posts: 10
    I have to agree that the 2.5V6 is more than adequate for this car for normal driving...it wil not win any drag races, but has plenty of pull at higher rpm's..I have driven thie engine since 1994 (6 years in a '94 Probe GT and now my 2000 Millenia) and have had nothing but good service...very reliable engine...early versions (93/94) had some O2 sensor problems and leaky valve cover gaskets, but later versions appear to have solved these problems according to most websites on reliability...frankly, the volume of supercharged engines in Millenias makes parts and labor expensive since this is only used in this low volume car...the 2.5V6 was/is used in Probe GT's, MX6's, 626's and Millenias so parts and experience are abundant ...hope this helps...
    Please allow me to add that this is a Mazda engine. It was only used by Ford, because they own a big share of Mazda. There is a very good WebPage at

http://www.bradbury.cwc.net/probemx/

that tells you about this great engine.

• csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    fwatson, dude, I said engine is a bit noisy at HIGH RPM, not at high speed. I know it's pretty quiet at high speed, I know this since I've also owned a '93 626 ES with same engine.
  • saxoniisaxonii Member Posts: 31
    One learns new things every day. So Ford Probe has the same V6 as Mazda Millenia. Wow now I know that Millenia is it. No wonder Asanti never materialized, with the same engine as in Ford Probe there would be no limit to where this car could go. I wonder how would owners of Lexus or Infinity feel if they were to find out that their beloved engine comes from Chevy Cavalier. Thanx for the info. I really needed something to make my day. In all seriousness I am seriously contemplating getting a Millenia now. Ciao SAxon II
  • saxoniisaxonii Member Posts: 31
    Are there any other cars that are using Millenia'a engine aside from Probe and 626?? Just wnat to know amd btw, when an engine is very loud at high rpm, what does it mean ????? Is that an indication of a inperfect consruction or other defect???? Please enlight me. Cioa Saxon II
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    It means you don't have as much sound insulation as you'd have in, say, an '86 Grand Marquis.
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    when the sarcasm is too high? Saxonii, we know how you feel about the Millenia. Spare us your dry wit, please.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Careful folks - if you have nothing helpful to say, just don't say anything, please.

(If I were a so-called "troll" I would delight in posting on this board, because I would get *so* much attention. Think about it.)

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • stbissstbiss Member Posts: 10
    it should be no revelation that Ford and Mazda share items among cars...Ford owns close to 1/2 of Mazda...it's all about money is the reason why engines are shared..Is a Lexus E300 less vehicle because it shares a Camry platform and V6 with the Camry, Avalon, and Sienna minivan? Absolutely not! It's because development costs are extremely high for new engines to have a unique one per vehicle...I bet SOME people would be highly disappointed to know that Nissan has used the same engine in the Maxima and InfinitiI30...if anyone has doubts about the 2.5V6, see the website mentioned in previous message - it has an excellent track record - another reason why it is used in so many models....
  • mackman1mackman1 Member Posts: 6
    SDA you claimed in your 2/26/02 message that you can buy an '02 Millenia for as low as $19.5K.
    Please be kind enough to share those details w/ the rest of us looking to buy a Millenia now.

Can anyone else shed some light on this topic.
    Where can a serious MIllenia buyer get the best deal on an '02 Millenia "P"?
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    mackman1, I don't know where you live, but a weeks ago, I saw an ad on Los Angeles times for 2002 Millenia P for $20.5K; this is in Mazda dealer in City of Redlands, about 60 miles east of LA

http://www.redlandsautocenter.com/

At other dealerships, I think the price is no less than $22K

Before buying my "01 P for well under $22000, I went to a Clearwater Florida Mazda dealer who was running one of these ads for Millenia's under $20000. I believe his advertised price was about $19500. I looked briefly around the lot before being tackled by a high pressure salesman who informed me that particular car was long gone, but they had plenty more Millenia's in stock. When asked what their lowest out the door price would be for a Premium model, he started quoting MSRP's. I objected to the use of this fairy tale price, and was told unless I showed a commitment to buy, they would not talk price reduction.

I then walked away with him objecting, and went to Courtesy Mazda in Tampa, where I was immediately given an out the door price of $23000 by a very courteous salesman, after he contacted the sales manager with my request. That took about ten minutes. After a test drive, and a lot of discussion, I purchased a Platinum Silver "P" with 3 miles showing on the odometer for that price, which ammounts to about $21680 plus tax, tag etc.

In other words, those absurd low prices, under $20000, appear to be outright lies by high pressure dealers to get you onto the lot and sell you something else as close to MSRP as they can sucker you into.

When you walk onto their lot watch out for the bear trap. Or better yet, just go to a good dealer to start with.
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    have caught my attention lately,$21680 for a brand new 01? I'm just wondering what a used 01 with a few thousand miles would sell for,$17k+?
    Although the Millenia never made it to my top 5 sedan list,that's heck of a deal for a car that is supposed to be competing with the likes of Acura TL and BMW 3s.
    Also,having read some of the posts on this board,I noticed the P is more popular than the S model,just curious why?
    Millenia does have a high depreciation compared to the CamCords. Search "Mazda Millenia" on EBay, and there are a couple of '01 Millenias in the price range you suggest. I would guess that means you could also get that price locally with a little work.

I personally rejected the "S" because of the added maintenance and complexity of the supercharger. Plus, I simply didn't need the extra power that provides. The "P" has very satisfactory power for normal use, and the 2.5 V-6 is much smoother than the I-4 engines in the other cars sold in the low $20000 range.

If you plan to keep a car for several years, the depreciation becomes a moot point, and the Millenia is a very highly rated car for reliability by both Consumer Reports and Carpoint online.

http://carpoint.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.asp

• otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    Do you own a Millenia? If so what are your thoughts in general?+s and -s,I think my wife likes the car and I definitely believe the price is right,she thinks it's time to replace her 93 Subaru Legacy(still rock solid at 115k miles,but you know image is important to most women!)
    Any input from Millenia owners is appreciated.
  • ddrake30ddrake30 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 96 millenia L with 75,000 miles that I bought almost 3 years ago. I agree with other owners that the 2.5L engine is plenty adequate for everyday driving. However, if you're a lead foot or like more spirited driving (like myself), then you might think the P is lacking a bit in power. I sometimes think the suspension could be a little tighter (too much body roll), but otherwise the car drives very nice and is exceptionally quiet. As others here have indicated, the major downfall of the millenia is its high depreciation. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, though, this is inconsequential.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    As you know my Millenia went back to bank but I still keep up with the post here.Just one quick question for you- From what I have been reading here, are you guys implying that a the Millenia P cannot outrun or keep up with a Toyota Camry v6 or Honda Accord V6, but it is more suited to go up against the 4cylinders Accord and Camrys?

Fwatson when I get my new ride I will enlighten you.

CALLING TOMEKK ARE YOU OUT THERE!!!!!!
    GET BACK ON THE BOARD PLEASE.
    Despite the fact I subscribe to Motor Trend, Car and Driver and Consumer Reports, as well as having read everything I can find on the Internet concerning the Millenia, I still do not know what the 0-60 ET is for a P Millenia. All the tests I can find report on the S. And those tests are rare.

That puts me in the position of not being able to directly answer the question of whether the P is able to compete with the CamCords as a drag racer.

I am old enough that I no longer personally compete in the Stop Light Grand Prix. So I also can't answer that from personal experience.

If you have read my previous posts, you know I have repeatedly said that my P has plenty of power under all normal conditions, and I am very satisfied with it. You can also tell from those posts that I am very fond of this car in all respects. After having owned at least twenty cars in my life, I can honestly say I find my Millenia superior to any I have owned. Admittedly most were Big 3 cars, but they also included Toyota and Renault (don't ask).

My reason for mentioning the 4 cylinder CamCords in a recent post, is not to compare acceleration, but rather that it is all you can get in them for the price I paid for the Millenia P, not that I consider them at all competitive with it. From what I have read, the Mazda 2.5 V-6 is one of the best engines ever built, capable of holding up to professional racing. If it said 3.2L 240HP on it, the Millenia detractors would melt into the woodwork. That is the only place I can see Mazda has failed to please the Boy Racer crowd.

I test drove Camry, Maxima and others, all V-6's, before buying my new Millenia, and did not find any of them super powered. I found the Millenia more pleasant than any of the others, including the new '01 Avalon that I was offered for just $3000 more.

What more can I say? I believe the Millenia is the best kept secret in automobiledom (is that a word?). But that worked to great advantage for me, in being able to almost steal a super fine automobile, for the price of a stripper CamCord or similar appliance.

I might add for those who might be curious. I have no connection to Mazda or it's dealers, except for being the proud owner of a car that makes you feel special just to be seen in it, and to drive it.

I very highly recommend the Millenia to anyone looking for the biggest bargain available in a great car. Your chance is running out fast, as they will no longer be made after the 2002's are sold out.

Frank Watson
  • marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    Car point has the time for the 0-60 for both S and P models, check it out

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Heraud/Mazda/Millenia/2002S.asp

for the Carpoint information. I don't know why I hadn't found that with all the research I have done on the Millenia.
  • marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    According to carpoint the Millenia S 210 HP is actually faster than 225 HP Acura TL but not faster than 260 HP Type S, I Think that this is v.good that the Millenia S beats the 225 HP TL

( the TL also has more Torque 216 fp), but the millenia still beats it not only in 0-60 but also in the top speed and the braking distance as well, I guess the millenia S performance is not bad at all after all, :)

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Heraud/Acura/TL/2002S.asp

• protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    I always find this particular reviewer's times to be on the slow side when compared to other publications and reviews. Seems like I saw where the "P" 0-60 times were in the 9.4 to 9.5 range. Not great, but certainly acceptable for most of our driving needs.
  • jaycee4jaycee4 Member Posts: 1
    I read all 50 reviews on carpoint for the '01 Millenia.
    Seems like alot of Millenia owners are disappointed in the lack of engine power both on the "P" & "S" models.
    In addition, it appears that many owners complain about the sluggish,indecisive & not smooth transmission on the '01 model.

Did Mazda correct the transmission problems for the '02 model or is it the same as in '01?

After reading these owner reviews on CArpoint it's hard to be excited about buying an '02 Millenia.

I'm interested in knowing what kind of experience '02 Millenia owners have had.
    I guess it's a matter of interpretation. I also read the 2001 and 2002 Millenia, as well as Camry, Accord, Acura TL and several others. Both '01 and '02 Millenia owners rated the cars 8.4 overall and 7.2 on performance, which is higher than most of the others I read.

A sampling:
    Acura TL======8.7 overall - - 8.7 performance,
    Accord========6.8 overall - - 6.8 performance,
    Lexus ES300===7.0 overall - - 6.9 performance,
    Millenia=======8.4 overall - - 7.2 performance,
    Camry========6.4 overall - - 6.3 performance.

I'm not a professional statistics analyzer, but either I am missing something here, or the Millenia owners as a group aren't as disgruntled as your post would indicate.

You might try reading reviews of other similar cars. Every brand and model has it's lovers and detractors. I have read a lot of reviews, and the Millenia fares very well.
    saxonii, please check your email
  • obioha1obioha1 Member Posts: 27
    I actually had a chance of test driving both today because I wanted to see if the price difference was worth it and there is a noticable difference in the acceleration between the S and the P. I currently own a '99 S and I never thought that it was that fast but it feels like a vette compared to the P model. Another thing which I noticed was that the shifting from like 2nd to 3rd was extremely jerky and a little scary, because I would hit the gas and nothing would happen and then suddenly the car would jerk forward and start accelarating. This hesistation could lead to disaster merging onto the freeway. The interior layout of both cars is truly impeccable putting to shame the cheap looking interior of the '02 maxima a friend of mine has. In fact the millenia's interior is on par with higher end luxury cars. I just love those optitron gauges. The brakes on both cars were truly outstanding, and I couldn't tell which one had better stopping distances as both stopped short and surely. The radio in the P(non bose) isn't that bad, in fact it is a lot better than the bose in my '99 S. I guess the addition of a mid control helps. The bose in the S is pretty nice with good bass extension and is actually better than the bose radio in the I35 that journalist seem to love. (my mom has a I35, so I'm speaking from exprience). I just wish that mazda had contracted a different audio supplier, because bose radios seem to not have enough highs and the lows aren't as smooth sounding as in other systems. Finally the handling in the S was phenomenal to me. I was taking curves at high speeds and the car felt very planted. The addition of the rear antiroll bar makes a significant difference. The P wasn't as confidence inspiring. All this said the P is an exceptional car but wouldn't be for me because of the lack of power. It takes to long to do what my S seems to do without sweating and the transmission just plain scared me. The 2.5LV-6 was a lot smoother reving than the miller cycle but looked like it was working too hard to accelarate. In the 626 this might be adequate power but in a 3400 lb car, it just isn't enough. Other posts have said that the transmission "re-adjusts" itself after sometime, so if this is the case then you can't go wrong with either car. For me its "miller time"

P was 23000
    S was 25500
  • juliziojulizio Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone experienced any problems with the front end alignment?

I just had my oil changed and tires rotated at the local shop and it turns out the inside shoulder of both front tires is almost down to belt.

The car is a 2000 ME with only 21,000 miles on it. As far as I know, the front end hasn't had contact with any curbs or large potholes. The rim is fine, only the tires are really worn on the shoulder. It almost looks like someone cut it with a knife.

Is something like this covered under the warranty?

I started shopping for new tires online and noticed www.tires.com lists the 235/45/17 as a plus zero upgrade for the car.

I called them and asked if the tire would fit on a stock rim and the guy said yes. He also said the stock rims on the S is 17x7.5, I thought it was 17x7. The rim has 17x7jj stamped on it. Does the jj denote 1/2"?

I may try these tires once I get the alignment issue straigtened out.

Anybody put this size tire on the stock 17" rims?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    Hi Billy...
    you know, it just isn't worth my time.

But to stay on topic: for me Millenia S was the right balance of luxury / sportiness / size (although I'm 6'3!) and PRICE. IMHO everybody should look at it that way and not take religious stands against or for; unbiased and _common sense_ based intelligent hosting would help, too.

I think obioha1's comments are right on the money - for $26K (in my case) you get a car with great interior (yes, those optitron gauges!), great roadholding, more than decent power (and the more you drive it, the more you learn how to utilize this power - 210HP is quite enough for me). Acura TL-S for 8K more wasn't _worth_ those 8 large more....

Now, you need to look at what is important to you - price? power? reliability? that's why there are different cars out there - Kia, Bentley, Mercury Grand Marquis... I am perfectly happy with my 01 S with two anti-roll bars and ski pass-through (BTW, what's going on with winter this year???), Frank is perfectly happy with his 01'P because it suits him just fine. End of story.

Take it easy,

Tomek (who wouldn't buy a car without ski pass-through, because it is important for him) :-)

P.S. Glad to see this place somewhat de-trollized and kept free from irrational rants.
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    I traded my 1999 P in for a 2001 S in October. I absolutely love the S. I'm glad I upgraded! Besides the increased power, I have enjoyed all the other new upgrades too...gauges, lumbar support, steering wheel radio controls....

Taking a trip on wed...driving from Atlanta to Orlando...can't wait to get out on the road...

zoom zoom zoom
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I did call the dealer locally to get the details on the advertised '02 Millenia P. The price is $19682, but you have to qualify for the $400 college rebate. Also, add $595 for their protection package (notated in the advertisement) and doc fees ($395). All totaled $21072 plus tax and tag. I think it's still a great buy, but I'm turned off by all the mandatory sticker padding. Instead, give me the true price up front without all the games. It's no wonder some find car shopping a hassle instead of fun as it should be.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    For those of you thinking about buying a new or used Millenia, you are looking at a wonderful car. I have had the pleasure of leasing a '96 and buying a '98 2.5 v-6. Both had the Bose, the '96 also had the 4 seasons package. I would have bought the '96 after the 24 mo lease expired, except Mazda would not negotiate on the final buy out price (residual). The residual was set at $21000+, while true market value was much less. I bought the '98 in 8/98 as I turned in the '96. They heavily discounted the price on the '98, so any other cars I was seriously considering at the time (I really like the Olds Intrigue, in black like my '96 Millenia), there was just no comparison. The Millenia is like a good loafer. The more you wear it (drive it), the more comfortable it becomes. Sometimes you don't realize just how good it is until you have to drive a different car. Then you get back to your Millenia, and after the first block of driving you have a smile on your face!:) About power: the 2.5 v-6 is fine. It will run without protest on regular while getting 21mpg city and 27-30mpg highway. Don't be shy in being aggressive with the gas pedal when you need to accelerate briskly. Let the engine get into higher revs or even let it shift at red-line. It sounds sweet and will surprise you with its willingness. My wife always commented she loved to hear the car shift down a gear and the engine would sing it's pretty song. I never had a single problem out of either car and I regret trading the '98 on a used '98 Catera. I thought I was tired of the Millenia and wanted something the same size, but different. I kept the Catera for less than a year as it was in the shop 11 times in 8 months! I say that I'm not in the market now, but having owned more than two dozen cars since 1984, you never know...

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• rob133rob133 Member Posts: 24
    What was the sticker price of the Millenia that they'll sell for $19682 + extras?
    That may well apply to the 2.3 S also. But you are right on with that comment. It has the sound of a race engine on hard acceleraion. Nice.

by rob133
    "What was the sticker price of the Millenia that they'll sell for $19682 + extras?"

I paid $21680 for my "P". It was stickered at over $28500, and had a funny paper stuck on it for a $945 wax and stripe job. that took it to over $29500 bottom line DSRP (dealer suggested ripoff price). It took about ten minutes to get that reduced to the price I paid. I had to go to a second dealer to accomplish that because the first dealer was out for every penny he could get.

Good luck with your car shopping. But do yourself a favor and hit several dealers if possible. It saved me and others here thousands.

Welcome back tomekk, don't be a stranger. Hope I haven't run you off with my enthusiasm for my car. Even at my slightly advanced age, I felt like I had found the pot of gold when I came across the huge discounts on the Millenia, and so far I have had no reason to feel differently about it. But if it should let me down in some way I WILL say so. I have no reason to push the car to others, just my own great experience with both the car and the dealer.
    Now that's new addition to my vocabulary: "DSRP" - Dealer Suggested Ripoff Price. Perfect!

When talking about letdowns: I think the fan in my climate control system is getting noisier, makes kind of a ticking noise. Noticed it today - at idle it is the loudest thing in the car. I think I'll have it checked out when I go for an oil change (yep, 10K miles coming up already).

And for those shopping: carsdirect.com quotes for S with Bose, 6CD changer and cold weather package the following:

CarsDirect.com Price $25,294
    MSRP $32,395
    Invoice $29,894

with a disclaimer:

Customer Rebate: ($5000) Customers must take delivery by 4/1/02. Please read for important information.

Good luck, it's good bang for the buck.

Tomek
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Glad that you came out of hibernation, please keep up the good work you are doing on this board.

To get back to this horsepower issue.
    The horsepower of a car does not make it faster than another car with less horsepower.The speed of the car is determine by the gear ratios.So all you horsepower hunger drivers, please go back to the drawing board and do your research before bragging about my car has 20000 horsepower so it must be faster than yours.
    The BMW 528 is a perfect example of less horsepower, but its 0-60 time will beat most of those heavily equipped horses out there.
    I think horsepower is for maintaining speed, tourqe is ability to accelerate. High horsepower, lower torque engines (like Toyota small displacement VVTi, most Hondas) don't give you much off the line.
    There are also other factors - as you mention, Billy, gear ratios - but also transmissions (manual, auto, CVT), sensitivity of turbos and superchargers to heat (Millenia S is affected), and engines's ability to gain revs (my VW VR6 was great in that respect, it spun up immediately, in-line 6s in BMWs are also eager "spinners"). I think BMWs are so good off the line because they combine a lot of those factors: manual tranny with the right gearing and eager to rev angine... Hm, I'm thinking after warranty is over on my Millenia I'll lease myself a 330i :-)

Anyway, for me the biggest problem in acceleration is TRAFFIC!!! It can get pretty bad in and around Boston.

Tomek
    I live about an hour SW of Orlando, and make that run fairly often. The last time was in my new Millenia in traffic running way above the speed limit on I-75 at about 85 to 95 mph, almost bumper to bumper, with what seemed like half semi's. It was a little intimidating with a brand new car in those conditions, and I escaped with only a light scuff on the hood from a piece of drywall that flew up off the highway when a pickup in front of me went over it, and two tiny rock chips. Fortunately, the scuff compounded out and the chips are almost invisable. Trying the touch up paint on them only looked worse, so I immediately removed it.

Watch out for those Georgia Cracker cowboys in their pickumups zipping up behind you with lights flashing to force you to the next lane so they can get by. South Georgia is the only place I have run into so many of those. And have a fun trip in your new car.

tomekk, it sounds like your car might have sucked a piece of a leaf or paper into the blower to me. Which brings up a point. Is there a cabin air filter somewhere on the Millenia?

billyperks,
    "The BMW 528 is a perfect example of less horsepower, but its 0-60 time will beat most of those heavily equipped horses out there."

European cars have typically had very high performance small engines as you suggest. So did the Japanese cars until this recent horsepower war started. It reminds me of the 60's and 70's American muscle car horsepower shootout like the '68 Charger I had. New cars with less than half the displacement of those huge engines can run circles around many of them literally, with the vastly improved handling and tires. Not to suggest my P could compete with a 383 Charger in straight line acceleration, but it sure out handles it.
  • nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    That (Boston traffic) is exactly why I opted for an auto tranny in the Millenia I have owned several other cars in a 5 speed manual, but living in downtown Boston for a few years will certainly alter ones appreciation for the auto. When I move next (probably Ft Lauderdale area) I'll definitely opt for the 6 speed 540i Sport (I'm 6'4" so 330i wouldn't cut it for me size wise). If you can afford it, you simply can't beat the big Germans in terms of performance luxury. I wish the Millenia S had a 5 or 6 speed still though...just to feel the Miller get a chance off the line....IMHO
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Don't be fooled, Ft. Lauderdale traffic is no picnic either, especially if you have to drive down to Miami like I do. I spend 3 hours in traffic everyday going to work and back home every day. It's bad enough to deal with traffic with an automagic, a manual would be murder.
    Not to mention that high dollar cars are extremely common there. When I go down there I feel like a pauper driving my Millenia. I have to come back to central Fl to get my pride back.
  • rbrubakerrbrubaker Member Posts: 54
    tomekk, welcome back.

When I was first test driving Millenias, I noticed a ticking noise from the fan on a used '95. I purchaced a new Millenia in '99, and noticed a ticking noise from my fan last fall. I played with the fan speed (back and forth from high to low) for a couple of minutes and it went away. I then realized that I was parking under trees, and there were alot of leaves under the hood. I think that it might be possible for a leaf, or other small object to get caught on the climet control system. I cleaned out all the leaves, and it's been silent ever since.

Bob
    Could this possibly be the "infamous" HLA ticking noise on start up?? Just a thought?? When's the last time you had your oil changed?
  • mcrane1mcrane1 Member Posts: 3
    I live in lauderdale and am in the process of purchasing '02 Millenia "P".

Do you guys have any recommendations on which dealers in south florida I should buy the car from to get the best price?
    Also which south florida Mazda dealers have honest & reasonably priced service depts.

Do you guys have an idea of how much it will cost me to dark tint the windows on the millenia?

Thanks for any feedback.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    I got mine at Gunther Mazda in Ft. Lauderdale (954) 797-1600, they were the only dealer that I went to that was willing to negotiate. Then again, you never know with car dealers. I can't tell you about their servc. dept because I haven't gone to it yet. I dunno if he still works there but my salesperson was Chet Hernandez, he is a good guy.

Good luck

Speed
    Well, I in one of the vents in the center of the dashboard there seems to be a big piece of tape (looks like electrical insulation tape), I'll have to get some tweezers to remove it... thanks Bob B for the suggestion. I'll see if that was it.

Nvedrani, what is ""infamous" HLA ticking noise on start up". HLA?

Tomek
    I imagine my dealer is a little out of range for you. Mine came from Courtesy Mazda in Tampa. It was a totally hassle free, no pressure experience. I was also on their Toyota and Mazda lots in Brandon, and they have the same no pressure, courteous sales staff I found in Tampa. Their name apparently means what it says. The sales people told me they are salaried, not on commission.

After two weekends on Mazda, Toyota, and Nissan lots in Orlando, Brandon, Sebring and Tampa, they were a breath of fresh air. I had told my wife I was done looking because I was totally po'ed with most of the dealers, when we decided to make one last try. Bingo. Sure glad I did.

I also have not gone back for anything, but have received a kit with touchup paint and other goodies in the mail from them.

Good luck down there. My daughter lives in Margate, and had a rotten experience with one of the Maroony (sp?) lots. That is about all I can tell you about your area.
    If anyone has ever noticed a funny sound upon start-up...it is like a ticking, tapping type noise and seems like it is coming from the air vents or dashboard area.

Tomek; HLA is an abbre. for Hydraulic Lifter Arms (I beieve?!),...this VERY informative website gives a ton of info regarding the 2.5 V6 and the 2.3 Miller Cycle. The site further explains why these HLA's make the noise and how to stop it. Hope this helps someone!

http://www.bradbury.cwc.net/probemx/probefaq.htm

Nat, close but no cigar: HLA = Hydraulic Lash Adjusters (for lifters).

My ticking noise changes with climate control fan speed, so it's definitely no engine problem. I'll drop it off on Thursday for oil change (10K miles!) and have them check it out.

Tomek

P.S. Hi, Pat. Are you? :-)