Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    Obviously this kind of [non-permissible content removed] for tat one upmanship could go on indefinitely, so I will not persue that course.

My point was to someone coming onto a forum such as this, with a blunt and untrue statement that one of these cars is clearly better in every way than another, is pure bunk.

They are both excellent cars, with most of the differences due to very different customer demographics.

The Max is a family four door hot rod, while the MM is an elegant family four door cruiser. Overall I find the Millenia much more pleasant to drive, because I am not a hot rodder anymore.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, we've mentioned this previously - extensive comparisons between the Millenia and another specific vehicle are out of place here.

It stands to reason that most of the people who have purchased a Millenia and are happy with it are not interested in hearing from folks who found what they believe to be a better choice. If any of you folks who want to explain why any other vehicle is better than the Milennia, you are invited to create such a discussion on the Sedans comparisons board.

Let's let this discussion focus primarily on its topic.

Thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    It's not upmanship. Since own both cars I am a little more opinionated about each car's pros and cons. No doubt they are both fine cars for different tastes.
  • maximase2002maximase2002 Member Posts: 11
    I am not tring to say that my Maxima is better than the Millenia. My reply was taken out of context. I love a lot of Japanese cars the MM is one of those cars but the car that I own and drive is a 2002 Maxima. Why because it is the best overall value IMO out of the cars I am a fan of. Guys I am not tring to come over to your forum and start flames. There is nothing wrong with liking a car that you don't own.
    We are glad to have you as a new member in our Town Hall. Why don't you come over to the Maxima discussion and talk about the great value you have found in your vehicle with folks who are of like mind?

Feel free to let me know if you need any help finding your way around.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • speed33speed33 Member Posts: 17
    Why don't you let people express their opinions on this board. You have no problem when someone positively compares Millenia to another car . Yet when a person does the same and Millenia does not come ahead, you disinvite people from this board or worse. This is still America and people should be allowed to express their opinions. Nobody is using vulgar language, so what is your problem? The last time I checked Edmund's.com was incorporated In good old USA not Afganistan!
    I am aware of the Maxima discussion i am a member of Maxima. org acura-tl.com and Acura-cl.com, Freshalloy.com and Honda -Acura.net. Altimas.net etc... Again the point I am tring to make is that I am a car fan. I don't feel that I should stick with my own kind for lack of better words,since I own a Maxima. Do you feel I should buy all of the cars I mentioned previously just to join their forums. I like the MM, and I think I will continue to post here as well. Thanks for the welcome
    Quote: "Why don't you let people express their opinions on this board"

You have obviously been reading this MM forum for awhile, so you are aware of the problem with a couple of trolls who have frequented it. And while maximase2002 professes not to be flaming MM, his posts come out as if he is. I have no problem with honest disagreement on a given car. But I can understand trying to stop the "my car is great, yours can't even come close to it" type posts. They seem aimed at starting arguments, and succeed at that goal.

I don't go to the Max or Camry boards etc and tell them how much better my MM is than their given ride. And really don't understand the need of some people to do that. It just stirs up resentment.
    is not whether folks can express their opinions, nor is it whether you must own the vehicle to do so.

This is a dedicated vehicle discussion (is there an echo in here??).

Comparisons are simply out of place here. We have the perfect place for those conversations. Please take them to the Sedans Comparisons board.

Of course I realize that some comparisons will come up in any dedicated vehicle discussion. If we have one or two comments positive or negative comparing some other vehicle, it's no big deal.

The problem here is that for what seems like months now, a couple of people --- or is it just one?? --- have come here to say over and over again why xxx vehicle is better than the Millenia.

I am saying those statements belong on the Comparisons board and if they continue in this discussion, I will remove them.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, please address me off-line.

Now, let's talk about the Millenia.

Thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    I started a new "Maxima v Millenia" thread in the "Sedans vs. Sedans" section. Please feel free to express your opinions there comparing Maxima to Millenia.

Thanks
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Thanks for starting the Max vs. Mil board. I will be watching. I have not made up my mind yet on the Max, Mil, ES300, Accord, I35, TL, or Camry.
    I even might wait to see what the new 2003 Accord looks like.
    Admin changed the name of the "Maxima v Millenia" thread to "Nissan Maxima v. Mazda Millenia". It is still in the "Sedans vs. Sedans" section.

Frank
    For information debunking the often repeated myth that Millenia has a horrible resale value, check "Nissan Maxima v. Mazda Millenia" in the "Comparisons - Sedans vs. Sedans" section.
  • jayhawk96jayhawk96 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had any problems with their super charger going out? I have a 97 S with 59,000 miles and the super charger began leaking oil. Supposedly Mazda does not rebuild the units. New one is $4,000. My extended warranty company (another nightmare in itself) found a used one and had it installed, now it is going bad also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    I have a '01 S . . . so, no problems so far and anyway it's still under warranty. Did you try to talk Mazda into covering part of the replacement cost, since you have low miles (their factory warranty is 50,000 miles!)?

Who is your extended warranty provider? I was thinking of buying extended warranty, but decided to defer until I'm sure I'll keep the car beyond factory warranty.

Thanks,

Tomek
    The warranty company I use is Phoenix American. I don't suggest using them. They wouldn't purchase a new or rebuilt super charger for my Millenia. They found a used one somewhere (I have no history for this part)and it only last 6 weeks. Now I am back to fighting with them to get the part replaced. Mazda supposedly does not have a rebuild kit for their super charger. The dealership explained to me that Mazda doesn't even offer rebuilt units. Needless to say I have a beautiful car that is going no where. Good luck on your extended warranty search.
    Thanks for the info on warranty...

Again, did you try to talk Mazda into covering part of the replacement cost, since you have low miles vehicle? Worth a try...

Tomek
    I have a call into the district service manager to discuss the issue. It's hard to image that two units would go bad, let alone one, especially after only 59,000 miles. I'll keep you updated.
    Jayhawk
  • nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    you could also consider, if there are no other alternatives, a S/C from www.knightturbos.com
    -the owner there (Geoff Knight) is VERY knowledgable when it comes to the Millenia S. He has a few options you may want to talk with him about.
    It appears to me that I am being grouped with people "trolls" that join forums and have nothing to contribute to the topic. Let me state again that I am not a troll and I plan to offer positive contributions to this forum. I have not made any statement that can be seen as flaming the MM, and if you all feel that way that wasn't the intention. If I didn't like the car I wouldn't bother to comment on it positively or negatively. If I didn't include the car I drove in my screen name I wouldn't get this type of welcome. Am I right or wrong? By the way I haven't posted in the comparison forum because I'm not trying to compare the car I own to anybody else car. like I said I like a lot of cars I just so happen to drive a Maxima. Is that a crime?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Nothing against you or your posts, but you have to wonder about a person with a screen name such as yours that only posts in the Millenia topic. I'm not saying it's a crime, but it tends to make one suspicious.

Post on...
    Quote maximase2002: "I'm new to this board,
    Someone asked why did I chose the Max over the MM, I don't want to flame anyone but the Maxima just excelled in every area over the MM and the resale value on the MM is a shame."

===================================
    You may not, but I consider the blunt statement "the Maxima just excelled in every area over the MM and the resale value on the MM is a shame." to be not only flaming, but also an attempt at a direct and highly biased comparison.

That post is one of the major reasons I started the Nissan Maxima v. Mazda Millenia thread. It is still open for that type of discussion.

I also proved your false allegation about the MM resale value to be pure bunk in that thread, by doing a direct Kelly Blue Book comparison between both models of the MM, and the Max GLE.

If you are not intentionally "flaming" the MM, you are certainly accidentally accomplishing that deed.
    lets not turn this into a shouting match. We are getting off topic here with taking posts out of context. People choose the car that suits their needs if I could afford multiple cars the MM would be one of them, since I can not I chose the car that suited my needs nothing more nothing less. Can we talk about something else besides why I chose the Max over the MM.
    Um, I don't think anyone is shouting.

I do think that folks' questions about your intent here are legitimate. You say you are interested in lots of vehicles, but still this remains the only discussion in which you have posted.

That's fine, nothing says you cannot do that. But I must say that I've never seen anyone post only in one dedicated-vehicle discussion when that person does not care for that car ... except when the person has set out to disrupt.

I am not accusing you of that. Your posts have not been disrupting. I'm just saying I understand why the folks here are looking at you skeptically.

The way to get the focus off of why you chose the Maxima over the Millennia (which does indeed belong in the discussion fwatson created, not here) is to post a message that doesn't talk about that. Join us and go with the flow. You are - and everyone else is - welcome here as long as you wish to contribute to the conversation in a manner consistent with your Membership Agreement.

Feel free to drop me an email if you have any questions whatsoever.

Thanks!

Pat
    Sedans Host
    How does the oil leak in the supercharger manifest itself? Just curious...
    Thanks,
    Tomek
    Here is an article I came across while researching the supercharger oil use problem. I find it interesting, especially the quote I have inserted below. Take the (REMOVE THIS) out of the link along with the spaces before and after it. The link is over 115 characters, and they won't let me post it.

====================================

Quote from: http://www.superchargersonline.com (REMOVE THIS) techarticles_detail.asp?RecordID=11

"Can the Kenne Bell supercharger damage my engine or shorten my engine life?

The new car manufacturers don't seem to think so and neither do we. The Mazda Millenia was judged a better car than the Lexus and it has a twin-screw supercharger that is very similar to the Kenne Bell. Then there's the Ford Super Coupe, Jaguar, Buick V6, Mercedes, etc. - all factory equipped with superchargers. Incidentally, NONE are centrifugals."

======================================

I will continue to see what I can find out about the oil problem. I have read that complaint in other forums too.

Check this out to see if it will help you: pat "Lost in the Town Hall? Ask the Sedans Host for directions!" Apr 13, 2002 10:25am.

You may want to back up a few posts from there to get the whole conversation, but that link will take you to a message explaining how to get around that limit.

:-)

Pat
    Sedans Host
    I didn't know it worked with the reference.
    I'll check that link.
    Thanks. That has been my point since I've joined I'm tring to take the focus off of me owning a maxima and being treated as if I'm here to cause trouble. The reason I am posting in the MM forum is because this is the most active MM forum I have found. There are some MM sites just starting up, but there isn't to much posting going on there as of yet. I hope i have explained why I haven't posted in the other town hall forums. Again thanks for the welcome!
    Apparently some oil gets by the seal in the supercharger unit, only in this case the second supercharger evidently had a major leak. It went through about 4 quarts of oil in about 5 weeks. There was no evidence on the garage floor, but the dipstick was showing low. The car would blow blue smoke upon start-up and again after a few hours of sitting. It appears Mazda is aware of the problem but doesn't seem to want to rectify the problem. Probably because it will cost them a fortune to replace/repair cars in the field. Needless to say I am disappointed.
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    I went to the Atlanta Auto Show yesterday. I sat in the Special Edition Millenia. I was not impressed. I didn't like the fake carbon fiber trim. Also saw the Mazda 6...not for me.
    Is Mzda going to stop production on the MM when the Mazda 6 debuts? Any plans for a limited edition MM before that. Is the RX8 the MM replacement? Any word on the MM after 2003?
    The 2002 is the last Millenia.
  • shoronshoron Member Posts: 1
    I have a '95 Millenia that I am the only owner (leased new). Purchased extended warranty with the original lease (extended it when I extended the lease) and they have paid major bucks over the past three years (transmission, a/c, rear end, couple of water pumps).
    Now, after the dealer replaced the water pump (under warranty) and did an oil change, 3000 miles later all the oil was gone and the engine is shot. The warranty company first said that they wanted all records of service (6-1/2 years, right), then said that they do not cover anything caused by loss of fluids.
    Dealer (who performed oil change) said there was a sludge build up and that it was not unusual to burn off all the oil in 3000 miles, and that he had even seen it happen in 1000 miles.
    I think that they did not fill it up full when making the oil change and that, in combination with the sludge, caused the problem.
    Now, no one wants to take responsibility, and the car sits at the dealership waiting for some resolve.
    I am at a loss as to my possible recourse.
    Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated.
  • chesterzchesterz Member Posts: 11
    The best advice I can give you is to contact Mazda zone manager and the general manager of the dealership, not the service manager. Start yelling long and hard to get this resolved. Sludge burning off, give me a break. They just don't want to admit that they screwed up royally on this one. They owe you at least a rebuild on the engine, if not dropping a new one in the vehicle. You may have to take it to Mazda corporate HQ if the regional/zone manager balks. Don't back down at all, you want a replacement engine or fair market "retail" value of the vehicle. Tell them you will work with them on a replacement vehicle and you don't want to have to take this to your local news media with what they have done.

You need to stand firm on what you want from them. If you have prior service records of work done there, indicate that vehicle not serviced at other places.

Good luck.
  • dkrabdkrab Member Posts: 77
    I am new to Mazda and need a quick lesson, if you fine folks don't mind. I am looking a buying a used 95 Millenia (non -S). It has leather, moon roof, both front seats have power adjustments. Drives good, but drifts right a bit and front tires worn a bit more on the insides, but not bad. It'll need new tires in a year. It has 64K miles, and recently had the 60K service done, including timing belt. It has had a few oil leaks fixed, particularly the cam caps. New plug wires and plugs, and a few service calls for rough running. It runs smooth right now, and I am having a Mazda dealership look it over for anything I might have missed. It has had some body work done on the right rear fender. I spoke to the original owner (1 owner car) and he said it was a parking lot fender-bender.

What else should I look for on this car? How solid is the transmission? I see a couple of posts up someone who has had A/c, trans, water pump trouble. What can I expect, and is this sort of trouble typical? Lastly, assuming it passes mechanical inspection, what's it really worth? Car lot is asking about $9000, which is high. How do Mazda's compare with Honda? I have owned Honda's for the last 8 years with good results.

Many thanks!
    for a 95 Mill 2.5 seems very high to me. What is attractive about the deal to you?
  • dkrabdkrab Member Posts: 77
    What's attractive about it is that I can't find anything this nice and this clean for that price. What's unattractive is that it is too much above trade-in value. Another negative is this car seems to have had repetitive problems with valve cover gaskets leaking oil. Is this a common complaint with the 2.5 V6? They use this engine in almost everything they make. It seems to have a good reputation as far as reliability goes. It isn't the most powerful V6, though.

You say $9000 seems very high to you. What would you consider to be a good price? Car has 64K miles, has service records, recenty 60K service including timing belt. Needs tires within a year. Needs front end alignment. Needs valve cover gaskets again (I think they used an RTV sealant and did not clean the seal surface properly). Needs a rear main oil seal, which the car lot would have to fix before I'd buy. Has had the oil seals at the cam shafts replaced recently. Man, that's a lot of oil leak problems. Is this typical of Mazda 2.5? Interior is virtually new. Exterior suffers from parking lot accident repair, but it's not obvious. Structurally it's perfect. Had it inspected at Mazda dealer, and they found nothing wrong except for what I mention above. Engine runs great, trans shifts flawlessly. Trans fluid looked perfect. No sludge in engine. Brakes and all other fluids are good. You can tell it has not been abused.
  • obioha1obioha1 Member Posts: 27
    I was wondering if going over by 10,000 miles for the changing of the timing belt is a safe thing. 70,000 miles as opposed to 60,000 miles. Any input would be greatly appreciated
    The suggested change is at 60,000 miles. Going to 70,000 miles should not be a problem. I have seen timing belts go over 100,000 miles. It's not a good idea to go that far, but an extra 10,000 miles shouldn't cause a problem. If you have an extended warranty the warranty company may give you a hard time about covering certain repairs if the maintenance schedule is not followed according to the manual. Hope this helps.
  • carhunting3carhunting3 Member Posts: 2
    I did like the Millenia S. Taking all things into consideration I ended up purchasing a VW Passatt. The Millenia had more luxury features and a more powerfull engine however the deals were identical in terms of dollars and the Passatt had that european driving experience, superior safety and airbags and it was newly designed last year not in the last year of production.
    Good luck with your Millenia's!
    "and the Passatt had that european driving experience,"

Interesting. You seem to put all Eurpean cars in one group, and any others as inferior to drive.

Does a Yugo possess that "European driving experience"? How about a Citroen 2CV?
    The guy had a reasonable post. I may not agree with his choice, but geez, give him some room. The Passat is a nice car, but I don't think it's a direct competitor to the Mill.
    I ask what I would consider a reasonable question, and in a polite manner. I really am curious why someone would consider all cars from a given country or region best in any catagory. I believe if you reread my post, I made no reference to anything other than why he considers all European cars superior to drive, as compared to cars from Japan or USA, or anyplace else.

I agree the Passat is a nice car, and I hope he enjoys it. But being from Europe gives it no monopoly on being a good car to drive.
    is a term coined by the auto mags. I think it's generally used to describe BMW's handling characteristics: tight (but not bouncy) and a good road feel (but not jarring).
    "tight (but not bouncy) and a good road feel (but not jarring)."

Interestingly, that describes the handling characteristics of my Millenia to a T.