Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• obioha1obioha1 Member Posts: 27
    the other day i was searching the web and i found a description of the millenia found in japan it had this mazda telematics dvd based navigation set up. It also had internet interface and was free for those who had this option. It seemed like an awesome thing and I just wonder why mazda didn't provide this for their north american millenias. I mean the '01 millenia is a great car and an available DVD navigation system with this internet based set up would've made it more of a contender. I think it is like the system that mercedes will employ in their upcoming vehicles.
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    I think you hit on one of Mazda's main downfalls when it comes to the Millenia.

The two gripes I see most, are, #1 it needs more power. And #2 it lacks a Nav system, or other personal favorite of the poster.

Had they offered a 3.0L, 200+ HP V-6 when Toyota, Honda and Nissan did, I think they would have had a huge market. They sure trounce the others in styling and are second to nothing in overall quality. One other complaint is due to the beautiful styling. It is very low with a lot of tumblehome on the side windows. ( compare the slab sides of the Avalon and Camry to the sides of the Millenia). This causes it to not be a great mommymobile due to the difficulty of inserting and removing kiddy seats.

Throw in the Nav as an option, and voila instant luxury car (it already is to me). I neither need nor want either of those, so I am thrilled with my '01 P.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    As we all know, the purchase price isn't all that's involved in the true cost of a vehicle. Check out the article and new tool at Edmunds.com:

True Cost to Own (TCO): Revealing the Hidden Costs of Car Ownership

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/59897/article.html

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    Has anybody checked out the "true cost of ownership" of the Millenia. Sure does better when you reflect "real world" pricing. Who has ever paid TMV for a Millenia? When was the last time they were sold without some sort of dealer incentive or rebate? I believe now the current deal is $5k back through rebates/dealer incentive. That makes the Millenia a real contender as far as value. If you reduce the total cost down to $31,528 from $36,528(over 5 yrs) the Millenia compares favorably to the Acura TL @ $33,928 and the Maxima GLE @ $33,364.
    That is my problem with the TCO too. By using the TMV rather than the price available in the real world, they are defeating the term "True Cost Of Ownership". It should instead be called "Inflated Guestimate of Ownership".

I have no problem with the current TCO program, if they would also allow you to enter the real price you can purchase the car for, in place of the TMV they are using. The TMV they use is $5000 above what I actually paid for mine. And the "Purchase Price" is over $6000 too high. My OTD price was less than $23000. Not the $29000+ that the TCO is showing.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    TMV is supposed to accurately reflect the going price of a vehicle in your area (by zip code).

If that figure is that far off, something is wrong. Please use the Help link at the top of this page and send your feedback to Edmunds.com - I'm sure they will appreciate it.

Thanks!

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • cepheuuscepheuus Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone! I have a 2000 Millenia S (the Millenium edition) with about 30k miles on it. I knew there was a scheduled maintenance coming up, so I called up the dealer & she said it would cost about $ 650!!! Is that ok? It sure sounds like a whole lotta money to me!!!
    I also looked at the TCO, and it said the average annual insurance costs are about $ 1200 here in MI. But the LOWEST I could find was 1700, & believe me I looked!!! I was wondering if anyone here got that kinda premiums? (I haven't got a ticket in my life!!!) ;-)
    What are your experiences??
  • nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    cepheuus...I have the exact same model (in silver), as far as the 30 k maintenance, I have no idea, (only have 19k), but $650 seems ridiculously high!!....as far as insurance, I am in Mass. and my ins. premium is about $1180...depending on where you live in MI I would think you could get similar rates as they are the exact same car - although, if I registered in Boston (where I work), mine would be closer to $2,000....pick your poison...good luck!
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    $650.00 does sound like a lot. Take a look in your owner's manual and see what services are needed for the 30K limit. I think most of these you could do yourself and just tell the dealer what services you actually want( trans fluid change, oil change, etc.). If you go to the service dept. and tell them to do the 30K service they will do a lot of checking which adds considerably to the labor costs. Most cars do not need that much work at 30K. Air filter is one thing that you can do for yourself, e.g.
    How do you like the M after one year of wonership? Any troubles? What kind of mpg are you getting with mostly highway driving? What engine do you have (2.3L)? Do you pay $850 for insurance every 6 months? What is your age?
  • acabral1acabral1 Member Posts: 122
    My six month premium is $245.00 for a '01 Mill S. I live in the D.C Metro area (VA)
    $1700? That's almost $1000 more than I am paying for full coverage on my P with $500 deductable in Florida. Sure am glad I don't live in Michigan. Mine is $746 per year ($373 six months) with State Farm Mutual.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    Cepheuus,

did you ask the dealer what exactly is included in 30K maintenance? I'd suspect he is trying to throw in a lot of stuff like "chassis lubrication" and such. Just ask them to price maintenance "by the book", and do only what is specifically asked for in the manual.

I had this with my old Nissan Stanza few years back - one dealer wanted $560 for 30K maintenance... but another did everything required by the manual for $170. Do your research, don't let them rip you off!

My insurance in MA for '01 Millenia S is $840 / yr with $1K deductible, and $720 for '00 Chevy Venture... full coverage on both. I live in a town with pretty good "premium zone", or whatever it is called.

Hope this helps -

Tomek
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    Cepheuus,

For my '02 S I am paying $1300 a year with full coverage and a $200 deductible in NM.
  • cepheuuscepheuus Member Posts: 6
    She did give me this whole big list of stuff to do for the 30k. I think I'll see what really is necessary, see what I can do myself and work it out with her. What in your opinion should a "regular" 30k maintenance cost (well approx at least)?
    As for the insurance, since reading your posts, I've suddenly started feeling bouts of extreme self-pity for the amount I'm paying! I'm 26, so over the "irresponsibly-rash-untrustworthy-under-25-driver" category. Still looking for some "reasonable" premiums!!!
    The car itself is great! I have the S. The power is pretty good, though a bit slow to shift up or down. I had to replace 2 of my tires after 29k miles though! Which really seemed strange, since I was of the opinion that they last about 50k miles on an average. My wallet was lighter $ 250 after that! And now the 650!!! HELPPPPPP!!!
  • nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    I'm 24, have a couple minor flaws on my driving record and am still at $1180 in Mass....hmmm???
    Shop around some more.........good luck!
    Cepheuus,
    I'm sure you were running on underinflated tires. My car came with 30psi all around - the sticker on the door frame says 34psi front, 32 psi rear. Underinflated tires will wear out very quckly, epsecially on a heavy car like the Millenia.
    What pressure are you running now?
    Tomek
    P.S. I'm tempted to call my Mazda dealer (so far pretty good, except for the underinflated tires issue!) and ask them what they charge for 30K service on '01 Millenia S...
  • crankkycrankky Member Posts: 45
    Speaking of tires, my '98 Millenia P lists pressures of 32F/29R. Are the figures different for different years? Any harm in upping the pressure, especially in the rear?

Also, I've noticed an annoying tendency for the car to hop to the right ever so slightly when going over a bump. Happens mostly on suburban roads that aren't smooth going around 25-45 mph, not over speed bumps in parking lots. Could this be an alignment problem? Tire pressure? Something loose in the suspension? I wouldn't think it's shocks/struts since the car only has 41,000 miles.

Thanks for the help!
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I would like an update on mpg for the Millenia(2.5 engine) for mostly highway driving. Thanks
    Quote by crankky : "Speaking of tires, my '98 Millenia P lists pressures of 32F/29R. Are the figures different for different years? Any harm in upping the pressure, especially in the rear?"

------------------------------------------

That is the exact specs for my "01 P. As to raising the pressure, you will wear out the middle tread faster. Also, when I picked mine up new, it's tires were overinflated by 5 lb. That caused a huge increase in tire noise from the rear. After reducing the pressure to it's proper settings, the car quieted down extremely.

My tires are Michelin MXV4 215-55-16.
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    With a 2001 P, I got 28 mpg on my trip from Atlanta to Dallas and back. I was pretty pleased with that figure!
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    In my '02 S the door sticker gives two sets of pressures depending on your tire size. For the 215/50 R17 91v; front 34, rear 31. For the P215/55 R16 91V; front 32, rear 29.
    Anyone out there like this model Millenia? I personally viewed the car and think the interior color and scheme make it appear cheap.

The center console looks very cheap, mazda definatley could have done a better job; worst part is the "metal/titanium" finish isn't around the window switches like the standard model's wood trim. The black dash also makes the SE look cheap as well; I would also dread having that ivory leather as well.

What i do like about this model is that it comes standard with the autodimming mirror and the accented front grill is subtle yet adds a nice finishing touch.

The titanium wheels are okay, a high quality machine finish would have been better!

What are your thoughts about this model Millenia?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The wheels look dirty.
    Quote acabral1: "What i do like about this model is that it comes standard with the autodimming mirror"

=======================================

I love my '01 P. But if it had an auto dimming rearview mirror, it would be instantly disabled. I have had that feature on two cars, and along with auto dimming headlights, I find it one of the most annoying features ever pushed off on the public. I suppose there are those that like both of those, but for the life of me I can't immagine why. They are both very easy to do manually, and at the proper time.

I very much dislike the titanium or aluminum consoles I have seen in any car. For me the same is true of the Millenia. It is wrong for what is basically a luxury oriented car, not a rally car.

I think the ivory is nice, especially in a black car. But I sure wouldn't want to have to keep it clean.
    Anyone out there like this model Millenia? I personally viewed the car and think the interior color and scheme make it appear cheap.

The center console looks very cheap, mazda definatley could have done a better job; worst part is the "metal/titanium" finish isn't around the window switches like the standard model's wood trim. The black dash also makes the SE look cheap as well; I would also dread having that ivory leather as well.

What i do like about this model is that it comes standard with the autodimming mirror and the accented front grill is subtle yet adds a nice finishing touch.

The titanium wheels are okay, a high quality machine finish would have been better!

What are your thoughts about this model Millenia?
    Quote fwatson: "I find it one of the most annoying fietures ever pushed off on the public. I suppose there are those that like both of those, but for the life of me I can't immagine why."

I guess it's just a "luxury" thing. I too have a second vehicle with this feature and find it quite practical; but it did take some time getting used to. It made all light reflection appear green.

I don't mind an aluminum or titanium trim on vehicles, I just think the kit on the MMSE is low quality, its finish should have been made the same quality as the Infiniti G35 (for lack of a better example)
    I am light sensitive, and the rearview mirror never dimmed automatically in time to keep me from being blinded by the glare from the following car. OTOH, the autodim headlights always caused me to get flashed by other drivers. Expecially on curves. Even a very wide median in between lanes did not seem to stop this. I replaced the mirror with a manual one, and kept the auto lights turned off. They were a waste of time and money for me, as well as being embarrasing where the headlights were concerned.
  • zfun4ne1zfun4ne1 Member Posts: 5
    Here's my story....

I was getting the itch for a new car in early '99. I really wanted a Millenia S but could not afford one. I got a good deal on a Base model (that's what they were called then) in Brilliant Black. It was a great car.

Fast forward to late 2001. I've put 60K trouble free miles (and I mean trouble free - not a single problem) on the MM, mostly in the worst kind of N. Calif rush hour traffic. Anyway, I'm starting to get the new car itch again (and I can afford a little more $$). I seriously consider both the Acura TL and Volvo S60 (both great cars) and can't decide. The itch is getting worse and worse - it's decision time... What do I end up with? A 2001 Millenia S in Millennium Red Mica. I guess it's the car I always wanted and after seeing the deals they had I just couldn't pass it up.

So here's my question. Considering you get the Miller-Cycle engine, traction control, bigger wheels and a better sound system on the S - what is the price point that with all things equal you'd be crazy not to buy the S over the P. I'd say it's something in the range of $2000 (maybe even $2500). In other words, if you can get the S for under $2K more then what you can get the P (with no options), absolutely go for the S.

I'm wondering what others think and I thought it might spark some lively discussion.
    fwatson, This may make me appear to be a layman, but what do you mean by autodimming headlights? I know of auto-leveling but never "heard" of autodimming headlights.
    I had a '90 TBird with automatic dimming headlights. They worked by use of a photocell on the instrument panel facing oncoming traffic. The idea was for them to dim the headlights by seeing oncoming vehicles headlights.

The problem with them is that you are seldom facing oncoming traffic directly head on, and at any angle they didn't operate properly. Heck, they didn't even work right when the opposing traffic was coming straignt at you. I got so tired of them flashing my lights up and down at the wrong time that I just shut them off and used the manual dimmer instead.
  • masonovichmasonovich Member Posts: 5
    This is my first post and I must say I am quite impressed with all involved. Therefore I appreciate and am confident in your responses.
    I have an opportunity to buy 98 base [but the nada book calls it a premium?]for $13k. The car is spotless and has 53k miles. It is loaded w/ all power options/roof/bose/tcs/leather etc..I drove the car and was impressed. Very smooth, quiet, pretty quick overall. I have a few questions I hope you can answer.
    First, does this car require premium fuel? According to the manual, it does not but when I opened the fuel door, it says premium is recommended? Also, I have heard of the expensive miller engine 60k maintenance. This car has the 2.5 L, is the same maintenance required for this engine? When does the timing belt typically need a replacement on this car?
    Thanks in advance for your responses!
    masonovich
    I was just wondering what everyone thinks is the absolute best color (exterior) for the 01-02 Mill S, with the chrome wheels. I saw a black/silver with chrome wheels that was absolutely gorgeous. I'm thinking of which color I should get for the '01 S that I'm considering buying. I currently have a 99 S with the white/sandstone and chrome wheels ( a real looker!) Any suggestions would help.
  • lyons4lyons4 Member Posts: 21
    I just purchased the MM SE for $22,500 from Jim Ellis Mazda in the ATL.
    I had a 1995 MM P .I love my new car.
  • zfun4ne1zfun4ne1 Member Posts: 5
    I had a '99 base model. I never used premium on a regular basis (no pun intended). I tried it a few times and did not notice a difference. I always use premium in my O1 S as it is required (vs. recommended).

I traded the '99 in with just over 60K miles and never had the service so I can't be much help there, however, I can tell you the base and the S have different engines so any "higher-level" service required for the S would only apply to it.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Stick with the Pearl White (no two tone crap)just all pearl white.Costly to repair but go for it.
    Quote masonovich: "does this car require premium fuel?" Simple answer NO. I have run 87 octane since new, 5500 miles ago. It runs perfectly, with no sign of any problem.

"which is the best color" by obioha1
    That is a totally subjective question I bought Platinum Silver, because I think it looks best. That said, red and green IMO detract from the luxury look. The other colors all look great, other than the tan interior in the silver car.

Like I say, totally subjective. You are really the only one to judge that for your personal car.
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    I'd stay with the white/sand....I've had two that color...love it
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    To me, the best color for
    '01-'02 model is silver and for
    '95-'00 white or white/sand, eventhough I have black/grey which also looks very nice when it's clean.

2000 Millenia S, 45008 miles and counting; troublefree off-course :-)
    The '01-'02 Millenia definatley wears the "Platinum" color well; especially when
    mated with the factory 17" chromes.......

There was no other choice for me.
    Quote acabral1: "The '01-'02 Millenia definatley wears the "Platinum" color well; especially when mated with the factory 17" chromes.......

There was no other choice for me."

============================================

I guess I am not young enough to agree with that. I personally do not like any chrome wheels at all (not just MM). They seem gaudy and dare I say cheap looking to me. OTOH, the stock wheels on the '01 P are nearly a color match for the Platinum Silver body of the car. This gives it a monochrome appearance I find very pleasing.

Frank
    My 2001 S had the chrome wheels...I made the dealer switch them out...I didn't care about losing $600...I wasn't going to drive a "pimped out" Millenia.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    yup, same here. When I bought my 2000 Mill S, the dealer only has it with the chrome wheels and I was able to get them switch it with the regular ones and they deduct $200; better than nothing. I'm not a big fan of chrome wheels too; you can't really see the lines/looks of the wheels itself with chrome.
    I definitely agree with the comments on the chrome wheels.I think silver/polished alloys looks much better on the luxury cars and entry level luxury.Chromes make the car look like a neighborhood boy racer car-my two cents.
    That's funny, just yesterday somebody I work with called the chrome wheels "pimp option" ... not only on Millenia, but in general (GM seems to like those).

Tomek

P.S. No, I don't have "chromes"!
    Wow! I must be really young but any millenia without chrome wheels just seems to be lacking that true beauty. Eveyone loves my car from senior citizens to middle schoolers. My white/sand stone S with the chrome wheels is absolutely spectaclar and the same S without the chrome wheels just doesn't do it for me, but then again I am only 23!
  • rzawarskirzawarski Member Posts: 47
    Wow discussing the merits of chrome wheels and paint colors! I guess thats about all you can discuss about a car that has little to recommend it in 2002.
    Quote : "Wow discussing the merits of chrome wheels and paint colors! I guess thats about all you can discuss about a car that has little to recommend it in 2002."

=============================================

Very interesting. I assume you go car shopping wearing a blindfold.

You must have a very interesting looking car. If you know what it looks like, maybe you could share that with us. It would be nice to know what a blindered person would pick out. I guess a Yugo with a 500HP V-12 and Koni shocks would fit that criteria.

I would imagine it would also need a 9800 watt stereo system with 6 24 inch woofers to qualify as great car. Oh, and of course Chinese red brake calipers.
    The chrome wheels have nothing to do with age. It's just personal taste. I'm younger than you! I'm only 22!
    Just ignore this dude.
    I remember his previous trolling here and on another forum where he claims his S will go 20 to 70 in two seconds (Yahoo).

Just having a little fun with his ignorance.