Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    Thanks for the advice. $25k is what I am shooting for but would like it lower (they really want to unload this car, it's been on the lot for 4 months). The salesman is supposed to call me tomorow or Tues (to see about an "end of the month" deal). If they don't give me a good deal I'll wait for the end of next month (they'll be more desperate then because of he upcoming 6). The millenia sounds good because I can trade in (13-14k) and either finance (0% and no payments 'til 1/03) or pay the balance n cash.

The only big concern I have about the millenia over the TL Type S is depreciation and resale value. Although I can write off part of the depreciation (business), I do not want to lose my shirt on this car if I decide to sell or rade-in in three years. However, I do not want to have a lease payment on an Acura of $400-500 and have the headaches of leasing (wear and tear, mileage, etc.) The TL may cost more but have more of a return.

Guess I'll have to run the numbers again.
  • fosterphxfosterphx Member Posts: 9
    Jeze, there is an on/off switch in the glove box that disables the trunk opening solenoid. (It is mentioned in the owner's manual.) You probably hit it accidently. Most people have no idea it's there because it is almost invisible.

Dunlop tire wear- my experience with the 215/50-17 Dunlop is that they loose air and need to be "topped off" regularly. Low air = excessive outside tread wear, probability of blow out at high temperatures and high speeds, or hitting a bump and having the rim puncture the side wall when it flexes. I also used these tires on a 1986 300ZX and had the same experience. If you get 30K out of them you are doing very well.
  • jezejeze Member Posts: 15
    Hey,

Thanks for your help, but I did try that, no luck. The problem is that it is both the gas lid and trunk that won't open.

Thanks.
  • djsg143djsg143 Member Posts: 20
    I am in the market for a millenia, but all i've gotten so far are mixed reviews in terms of quality, value, dependability, and performance. Has the 2002 been changed in any way to address any past faults? Also would you recommend the car to your closest friends? are there any faults i shoul be aware of?

thanks
  • maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    I am in the same boat. I got a written offer of 25086 plus T&t for a loaded '02 S. I then went comparison shopping and the sales manager at another dealer brought up the following issues with the future of the millenia:

Resale value: supposedly the resale value and these will be nothing because of thir extinction.

Parts: supposedly mazda is going to pull the plug on replacement parts for the miller cycle engine and possibly the 2.5 V6(and not telling anyone about it

I don't know whether or not to trust what this guy said. He was very pushy and found faults with every single competing vehicle (he was trying to sell me a camry even though I told him I did not like the camry) AUGH that was two hours down the drain. I left the dealer disgusted. The salesman was audacious enough to say that if I didn't buy the car he was going to bing me bclients for my product (for my business). They even pulled the trick of "appraising" my trade. i.e. they kept the keys while pressuring me for a sale. Never going back there again. Sorry for ranbling, needed to vent.
  • jmadamsjmadams Member Posts: 3
    In reference to #1855 and #1856: In terms of quality, the Millenia fairs rather well, just check out Consumer Reports. I have a 2000S with 45K, besides oil changes, I've replaced the air filter at 30K as the owners manual suggests and that's it. Original Dunlops tires still going strong - no mechanical problems.

Believe it or not, there are a fair number of Millenias in the field and Mazda will make a significant money selling parts for them for years to come. Besides, it's a law that parts need to be available for at least five years after production.

As far as resale value, it's not the best.

BTW, just did a 2300 mile road trip. Even in really hot weather (Death Valley and Las Vegas) the air conditioning kept myself and passenger very comfortable.

Someone mentioned that they were surprised that the 2.3L was a noninterference engine since it's a high revving engine. I never considered the 2.3L engine a high revving engine. Is it?

John
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    Well, it looks like the anti-Millenia propaganda machine has been functioning rather well where you two have been lately. Unfortunately all brands and models have their detractors. Many are called salesmen for competing cars.

Now to the questions.

Consumer reports in the April '02 issue calls the Millenia "outstanding" for reliability, which is borne out by all previous April CR editions. Carpoint also shows the frequency of repair for both models of Millenia to be excellent.

Resale value myth. Check this out for yourself by going to KBB.com. Any resale difference between Millenia and other competing cars is minor, and more than offset by the extremely low prices Millenia can be bought for (ie, it is a moot point), in comparison to those same competing cars.

As for parts, the previous post pointed out the 5 year law. Add to that the fact that these engines have been used for many years in the Ford Probe, Mazda 626, Mazda MX6 and others, and there is a thriving aftermarket for parts and performance parts for those engines.

Now for a couple of personal observations. Never trust negative sales pitches. They are for one, and ONLY ONE purpose. To sell you THEIR car.

And in answer to:

"Also would you recommend the car to your closest friends? are there any faults i shoul be aware of?".

I am sure as an extremely complicated mechanical device the MM, as all cars, has a failing of some kind. To some it is that they don't have the largest engine available in the auto industry. That is nonsense to me, and the P, which I have is more than powerful enough to keep up with any and all normal traffic, as well as a pleasure to drive. And I would heartily recommend either MM to anyone who is looking for a very beautiful, reliable and immaculately assembled and finished car.

Unless you are one of the hot rodding young men who frequent this board, you will find the Millenia a great choice. And for me, at the price, the only choice in a new car.

One more point. Mazda is not going out of business, it is simply discontinuing a model, as all manufacturers do constantly. Check the record of ALL car companies and you will find this is as common as bugs on your windshield in the spring. It does not mean they are burying all referrence to the discontinued car, and abandoning support for it.

That was a problem with "captive imports", especially by GM and Chrysler for years, but has no bearing whatsoever on the discontinuance of the Millenia, anymore than Chevelle, Fairlane, Dart, Charger, Impala, Comet, Falcon or dozens of other cars that were eliminated by their builders.
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    The quality, value, and dependability have always been good in Mazda's products. As for performance, I have to agree with fwatson, if you plan on racing this car it is not for you. I would not hesitate a second to recommend this car to anybody.

As far as the loaded '02 S goes, what options does it have on it? I bought my '02 S with the 17" chrome alloy wheels, 4-seasons package, and 6 disc cd for $25,000. As for parts I have an '85 626, pre FI, that I can still get parts for. Now for the sales manager, when was the last time you could believe what any sales manager told you when it came down to them selling you a car? By what you are saying about this dealer I do not see were you can put too much trust in anything they tell you. I would not walk from that dealer I would run.
  • w4vicw4vic Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know how to program the remote controls for the Mazda Millenia 01-02? I got a used 01 and the sales person only had one remote. Got an extra off an auction - but they want to 'sell' the instructions for another fee!

Has anyone had a similar experience and just go the dealer for programming? I'm assuming they wouldn't charge for a simple procedure - but that's wishful thinking. Thanks!

-Vick
  • lyons4lyons4 Member Posts: 21
    Could someone tell me what is meant by the 4-season pkg. ?
    Quote:"Deal with Old Man Winter on a regular basis? Fight back with the 4-Seasons Option Package. You get a Traction Control System (already standard on the Millenia S); plus a heavy-duty battery and wiper motor; large-capacity washer-fluid tank with low-level indicator; heated outside mirrors and front seats; and rear-seat heater ducts."

http://www.mazdausa.com/millenia/default.asp?vehicle=millenia&zip=33614&did=23799&state=MA

• lyons4lyons4 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks fwatson.
  • VolareVolare Member Posts: 15
    I"m looking at cars for my brother who is 6'3". There is a deal in the local paper for a 97 millenia S with 54k for 8 grand. From what I"ve gathered that sounds like a good price. What do you guys think? Any thing that I would want to look out for in the this car? thanks. dan
    My car is a P, so I can't say much about the S.

But definitely have your brother drive that car. Millenia seating is very low, and the Moonroof cuts into headroom. I am 5'10" and love my driving position with one reservation. I have mild arthritis in my knees, and when driving on cruise control, there is not a really good place to rest the right knee. The left leg is fine. This is all due to the low seating, with little rise from the floor to the seating surface.

That said, the supercharged engine has a lot of required maintenance as opposed to the P, including a much earlier timing belt change. You only have 6k miles before that is due. If it has not been done yet you will be in for a little bit of a shock at the price of the 60000 mile required service for that car. If you can get the seller to pay for the 60000 mile service, I think the price is good for the car in very good condition.

Good luck.
  • smtsoismtsoi Member Posts: 1
    I have a '95 Millenia, and the hubcaps fell off at the rate of about one a year. I was able to get replacements at the dealership below. Now the most annoying thing about this is that I am now told that Mazda doesn't make the hubcups anymore.

Does anyone know a source either in Southern Cal or online that sell the hubcups (chrome)?

Thanks in advance.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I'm assiming that you have the Millenia S (chrome wheels).

If so, the center caps are still available as P/N TA04-37-190. That cap measures 7 3/4". The non-S is a bit smaller. I'm not sure what your dealer told you but there are plenty out there. If you have trouble finding them, e-mail me at maltbarley@yahoo.com.
  • amatiamati Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2002 S Platinum Silver with all the trimmings (4 season, cd changer, chrome wheels) around the end up May for a little less than $25k before TT&L. So far my wife and I love the car! She had a 929 before, so we have always had a soft spot for Mazda. Everything has been great except for one thing: the gas mileage. When I drive, I usually get around 17/18 (mixed city/highway/traffic), and my wife usually get around 20. I thought maybe changing the oil to synthetic might help a little, but so far there hasn't been a difference. I am hoping as we drive the car more (almost 6000 miles now) the mileage might improve.

BTW, if you can't tell, I'm very lead-footed :) We have a Mazda B3000, which is a little sluggish, so we call the truck 'zoom' and the millenia 'zoom-zoom' :)
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    Don't expect more than 21-22 mpg in city & mixed traffic; on highway you can get over 28mpg if you are steady and stay below 75mph... I'm getting about 22 now on '01 S wirh 16k miles (my record was 28 on an extended trip with 3 people on board, not bad).
    To get 17-18 mpg you must be redlining it all the time... I know, this supercharger song is additcive.
    Tomek
  • wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    What's the future hold for the Millenia? Is a new design coming soon? I see there are rebates up to $5000 being offered on 2002 models. With $5000 off it seems like a great deal, but I would like to know if a major redesign is coming or if the current model is being dropped.
    2002 is the last year for Millenia. If you want one better get it now. It won't be available next year.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Am taking delivery later this week and will be changing to aftermarket wheels. Would appreciate any ideas on disposition of OEM wheels.
  • hojlhojl Member Posts: 1
    Hey all I want to buy a MM and need advice. I think I will get a P rather then a S since I heard the S costs more to maintain. Also, does anybody have the PS or SS. I heard of these but haven't been able to see one in person. You guys have pictures I can see on some website? Also, you guys recommend buying a PS rather then a P? what is the added bonus of a special edition PS?
  • phatpatphatpat Member Posts: 22
    I have a 95S with about 72,000 miles on it. This has been a great car so far with minimal problems. Last Thursday I go to start the car and nothing happens, lights in/out are okay so I knew the battery was okay. I took it in and it was found that the starter went out as well as the relay. All that has been replaced and my mechanic said it's trying to turn over but still will not start. He thinks there is a problem with the signal coming from the computer and is now checking that out. Has anyone out there dealt with any computer problems with the Millenia S? I do have an extended warranty, thank GOD, so the work should be covered. I'm just not sure what to think now and I just got word that he may need to refer my car to someone else. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Sounds like your mechanic was just changing parts without figuring out what the problem is. It kinda sounds like he needs to be replaced.
  • masonovichmasonovich Member Posts: 5
    My 98 Millenia Premium (not the S) has a check engine light issue! The car is in great shape, runs fantastic and is mechanically sound with 59K miles on it. The only thing I have done to the car is add a K@N filter (that fit perfectly!)

Two weeks ago, my sister in law drove the car and mistakenly left the lights on (I was not too upset after all as it was my wives and her grandmothers funeral!) Two hours later, the vehicle would not start. After a jump, they were on their way. While my sister in law had the car, she also put gas in it.

Three days later, I start the car and the check engine light comes on. I call the local Mazda dealer and tell them the story. They get me in right away so I drop off the car and the dealer does the diagnostic test and it reads (I was told) low battery, and a misfire with the plugs/wires. He also asked me if I tightened the gas cap, in which I replied yes, (after reading these posts to find out that can trigger the ck engine light). The dealer replaces the spark plugs and wires, the battery, and puts some fuel injector cleaner in the tank for a mere $387.00 (yikes). They also reset the ck engine light.

Today (64 miles later) the check engine light came on again. I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in for the diagnostic test, which I have not yet done. They will charge me $65.00 unless it relates to something they did last week. The $65.00 charge thing kind of irritated me...

I would truly like to reslove this check engine light thing but I need some help. Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this before and what else may be the cause? Could it be the K@N filter? Also, would you pay the $65.00 again for the diagnostic test?

Thanks and regards!
    Well thanks for the info. From what I understand the starter and the relay did need to be replaced and the car now starts. The problem now is that the engine doesn't want to engage, like the computer isn't talking to the fuel injection and will not accelerate. As you probably can tell I'm not very knowledgeable about cars so I can only rely on what I read and some of what I hear. So again I ask, anyone besides maltb, if they've dealt with any computer malfunctions with the Millenia S. Thanks in advance.
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    Hey everybody...what would be a good replacement tire for a 2001 Millenia S? Price isn't a big issue. I'm mainly concerned with ride, quality, and want something that looks nice.
  • crankkycrankky Member Posts: 45
    If you have an Autozone parts store nearby, they will check the codes for free. I've done this several times with my '98 P trying to pinpoint what is causing my engine light to come on.

So far it's been either a 305 (cylider misfire) or a 324/325 (knock sensor/knock sensor circuit). I've replaced the cap but that didn't help. Plug wires were replaced about 18 months ago because of a 306 code (misfire cylider 6). That worked for about a year. Anyone think that maybe this car just eats plug wires? I don't mind changing them again, but don't want to throw money away. Knock sensor is about $100 plus labor. Don't know if I can do that one myself or not.
  • masonovichmasonovich Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Crankky!
    I did visit my local Autozone when the light came on the first time. They brought the diagnostic tool out to the car and tried to hook it into the mechanism under the hood. It did not fit. He then said the car may have a mechanism under the steering wheel on the drivers side where he could do the test on. That did not work either! He told me I had to take it to our local Mazda dealer, and that is what I did...Is it possible the diagnostic tool is unique to certain vehicles or is it a universal unit?
    Funny thing is, I had the oil changed in the car as it was due and I put a fresh tank of gas in it and on the way home today, the check engine light turned off!!! I shut off the car and started it up again and the light was still off.
    Thanks,
    ~Miffed in Michigan
    Sounds like it had air in the tank from leaving the lid loose or off. Air gone, light gone. If that is the case, your problem is solved.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall Membership Agreement forbids using these boards to sell or buy things. Sorry.
    Test post. I get "Connction Dropped" when trying to post an answer in the maintenance section "Oil Filters, Whose is best and why" thread.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Just took delivery of 2002 Millenium. Noticed that daytime running lights are in the headlight assembly and come on with headlights. How can they be activated as daytime running lights only?
  • doepeldoepel Member Posts: 20
    Have any 99 MM owners experienced a ringing, whinning noise coming into the cabin when the car is going up-hill between 40-70 mph?

Mine has done this since new. I just discovered that there is a TSB out on this (at NHTSA web site), which involves replacing the transmission shifter cable with a re-design having an integrated vibration dampener.

The replacement procedure requires 4 hours of labor, with most of the time spent removing/re-installling the dash.

Has anybody had this TSB applied and if so how much of an improvement did it make? Did the dealer have any problems getting the dash back together (i.e., no resulting damage/scratches and no rattles).

I'm wondering if the benefit of having this done out-weighs the risk of damage to the dash. The work will be done under warranty.
    Does anyone know how much the new M6 is going for? I looked at it on the website and kinda like it. I can't really tell how long it is but it looks to have a millenia style rear. We all know how good that looks. 220 hp isn't bad either.
  • skspghskspgh Member Posts: 28
    Hello,

I have a 2001, Millenia S that is just about finishing 1 year since I bought it. However, for the past several months, I have noticed a distinct rust formation on the caliper (near the brakes/tyres). Is the NE weather an issue? How do I remove the rust. The wheels look unsightly since the rusty caliper is clearly visible. Do others face this problem?

Please offer any advise that might help...
    I've got the same thing, but I don't worry about it...
    Just go to WalMart or HomeDepot and get the High Heat Rustoleum spray paint in the color you like best.

Jack up one corner, remove the wheel and support the car with a jack stand.

Lightly wire brush the surface rust off the casting, but don't brush the rotor. Blow the rust dust off, then using a solvent such as lacquer thinner, damp clean the casting to finish removing the dust and any oil products. Now cover anything you don't want painted and spray paint the caliper. Repeat on all four corners. There is no harm in painting them, but keep solvents and paint off any rubber parts and the rotor.

Yes, the road slush and salts etc are causing the harmless surface rust. But like you I wouldn't be able to look at it. I live in Florida, and my 2001 P is one year old this month. Not a speck of rust anywhere. It is garaged when not in use, and I do not live on the rust coasts. Enjoy the "new" calipers, it will be well worth the time and very minor expense. Less than $10.
  • steevo2steevo2 Member Posts: 33
    I start the car in the morning (cold), and begin the trip to work. At a steady 55mph, and about 3 minutes after starting the car, the engine seems to miss out and runs rough for maybe 30 seconds, then it clears up. It does this without fail, everyday, at the same time. Could there be something that happens in the fuel mixture or timing that is triggered at a certain time after startup? I don't believe it is relative to speed, but to the time the car has been running. I love the car, and this isn't really a big deal, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their Millenia.
    Mine is an '01 P.Symptoms slightly diferent. Upon first starting mine in the morning and driving away (I don't warm a car up before driving)it does not totally smooth out for a period of something less than a minute. In my case at least I don't think it is anything wrong, just the time it takes for the ECM to adjust. After that everything is silky smooth and quiet.
  • excessnoiseexcessnoise Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Mill S with 60K miles. For the most part is has been trouble free. I've only changed the battery, tires w/slightly oversized (Michelins), and I replaced the steering-tilt relay which caused an engine light and tilt was stuck in the up position. Overall a fun car to drive and own.

Pros:
    Fast (after superchargers kick in). Too bad they didn't up the engine to a 3.0L

Looks: Still think it is one of the best looking cars.

Cons: Only one cup holder, what's up with that? Did they correct this in the newer models?

Front wheel drive

Suspension has sagged somewhat(springs in struts have sprung). Happened after carring 4/5 adults around for awhile.

Windnoise is excesssive for a car of this caliber

Ready for a new car....thinking of the new G35 Infiniti. My wife is happy with her Millenia.
    Hi ExcessNoise,

Several members of this forum have mentioned a sluggish or inoperable tilt away steering. How did you replace the relay? Was this easily done? Expensive?

I have currently turned off my steering tilt because I'm afraid it will get stuck in the top position.

More info on this relay replacement please!!!

Steve
  • excessnoiseexcessnoise Member Posts: 2
    The relay is up above the steering column. If it is bad as mine was (my s/wheel was stuck in full upright postion), when you try and move the S/Wheel with switch, it will click which helps to locate it. It is a little difficult to get to but no too hard to replace. It is held by a rubber sleeve which made it hard to remove.
    Price $$$, expensive for a relay. I don't remember but I think it was approx. $85-100. It worked for a few weeks and then started acting up again for a few days but then it cleared up and has been fine for 6 months now.

PS: how do you turn it off other than removing a relay or fuse. I don't drive mine much anymore, my wife does. I didn't see any on/off switch when I worked on it.
  • w4vicw4vic Member Posts: 3
    FYI- For those looking for an excellent used vehicle -Consumer Reports 2002 gave the Mazda Millenia a 'CR Best Bet' approval. Lexus and Acura were the other alternate CR endorsements (for luxury cars).
    Those looking at Maximas, etc. should really do the research AND drive them. I'm more than happy with my '01 P two-tone with 24K (flawless) and after 3 family Maximas (and continous repairs).
    On my '97 S, there is a push button switch on the left side of the steering column, next to the paddle switch for raising and lowering the steering wheel. This button turns the auto tilt feature on and off. I have mine turned off at the moment.
  • nhinmannhinman Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Millenia S overheats when I take it on a long (2+ hours) trip and go up a long hill. This has happened three times this summer, even at fairly mild temperatures. The issue seems to be having the car loaded with people and luggage and pulling a long hill. It has happened on hills that are 5+ miles long in temperatures in the upper 70s and on hills less than a mile long in temperatures in the 100s. In order to prevent the engine going into meltdown, I have to turn off the AC, turn on the heater to the highest temp (95) and open all the windows. Then the temperature inches back down to near normal.

The dealer is no help. They can't duplicate it because the car was not heavily loaded and/or there are no hills around here that are long enough to cause the problem at the temperatures during their tests. The service consultant acted as if I was delirious and the car really didn't overheat, which really ticks me off. The guy was a real a**h*le. They said Mazda won't authorize any part replacements unless the problem is duplicated. They expect ME to pay for the parts. (AutoWest Mazda, Roseville, CA).

Mazda has so far been no help either. They have also walked away from the problem saying, and I quote, "Driving up a long hill with the air conditioning causing the car to overheat could be considered a normal condition". I just sent a letter to the president of Mazda North American Operations. It's the last recourse I have other than to file a lawsuit.

I KNOW this problem will surface again and again until something gets fixed. And since the warranty period is ticking away and fall is approaching (cooler weather), I will lose the ability to verify the problem has been fixed, until next summer.

I have told Mazda that it's time for them to start replacing parts at their expense and I will commit the hours it takes to determine whether the problem has been fixed.

After all, this is the mighty Millenia S, the flagship of the Mazdas, the 'Amati'; competitor to the baby Lexus. Somehow I think I would have been treated differently by a Lexus or Infiniti dealer!

If this happened to you or if you have any ideas as to what the most likely cause might be, please post.

Thanks
    Hello nhinman. Did the dealer suggest *any* possibilities .... water pump, thermostat? Did they hook it up to their electronic engine do-dad, the one that checks engine error codes. If they didn't, some on this forum have stated that AutoZone has the equipment to check for these error codes and will do it for free. Maybe during the overheating something got flagged in the memory that could help you.

Or, you could schedule a service appointment with a dealer that is close to those hilly areas and try to recreate the problem. A little more hassle that way but might get you closer to a solution. Let us know how it goes.
  • nhinmannhinman Member Posts: 2
    Hi Steevo2,

The dealer was no help. They said there were no overheats stored in the ECU. The reason why there weren't any is because I used the heater to add the additional cooling necessary to prevent the engine from going critical. They are a big city dealership and have little or no customer advocacy. Hence, they offered no possible causes. The attitude was 'we can't duplicate it so go pound sand, buddy...'.

It must be something just out of tolerance, though, because I can drive the car around here (Sacramento, CA, area) on the flat and up small to medium hills and it never overheats. Even when it's over 100 degrees out (which happens all too often around this place!!). It only happens when I am driving in the most demanding situations. Quite an annoying quandry.

As far as dealers near one of the 'hills of death', even the dealer in Redding, CA, (closest to one of the hills where it happened), is an hour from the hill. The other hills are in the middle of nowhere, at least two hours from a dealer (exactly the kind of place where you DON'T want to break down). My guess is that if this car 'lived' east of the Mississippi, the problem would never surface.

I am going to take it to another dealer around here in hopes they'll work a little harder to diagnose the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    My '01 Millenia S overheated twice - once it was very small cooling system leak (caused air pockets), fixed under warranty in 1/2 day; second time it was thermostat "showing signs of sticking" - also promptly fixed under warranty. Both times they gave me free loaner. I was not charged for diagnostics, but they did take some time on the thermostat to duplicate the problem and show Mazda that it was, in fact, malfunctioning.
    Good luck -
    Tomek
    Is there still a mazda dealer in shingle springs on the way to Tahoe? They might be the ones to see it happen.

Also, what happens if you just blow the thing up? new engine?