Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• fairwoodfairwood Posts: 91
    I'm with fwatson on this one. My dealer had inflated all four corners to about 40psi. Felt like riding on loose bricks. I now run according to the book on my 2000 MM S -- 32 in front and 29 in back PLUS one or two more at checkup time. I lose a few pounds from left rear in about a week. Nothing shows on outside of rim so I suspect a bit of a dent on inside rim. Nothing serious, "yet". That rattle in the overhead slider when opened part way might be a common problem. I get a bit of a rattle when opened part way - the piece does not have any support along front edge in this situation. I had a sunroof in an '84 Volvo but this is first car with a moon roof. Not very useful yet - either the A/C is on or window is open, don't see usefulness of hole in roof with sun beaming down, reflecting off mirror, etc. People Come In Bunches ... no postings here for days then everyone comes to the party!! Nice to see regular interest. fairwood
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    ... "and the Millenia at the recommended 31 front, 29 rear." - that's for a P I believe, S has different tires.
    There is a label on the driver's door jamb that shows recommended pressures - It is 33 front / 31 rear for my '01 S. Again, I run it 34/32, because I do tend to go 80-90 mph during my 16 mile commute to work (most of it highway "against" the traffic).

My '95 Passat GLX had 32/32 - or 40/40 which was recommended - and I quote - "if you frequently travel at speeds over 100 mph with full load". Nice thought, huh?
    Tomek
    tomekk: Interesting that your '01 S has different recommended pressures. Looks like we have the same car except mine is a '00 and yours a '01. Owner's manual and door jam figures are 32 front, 29 rear. Like everything else, we are always learning as are car manufacturers. Experience may have led to upgrading tire pressures. I will try your settings but don't expect too much difference. I had a bit of a scare yesterday pulling away from stop light in moderate traffic. Radio was louder than normal and I could not hear what was happening early on. Instead of expected pull away, transmission seemed to be erratic or jerky or slipping or something. I sure wasn't expecting that and my mind started analizing a dozen things at once. Overall symptom would be that car wasn't pulling away smoothly and not as fast as expected for position of gas pedal. I pulled over about a mile later, first oportunity to let traffic go by and pulled away normally. Will go out later today and play around a bit. Pavement was a bit wet from earlier light showers but Michelin's have always dug in without popping.
    Engine light has never come on except during startup during bulb test. I purchased extended warrenty at end of May when I bought car used so not too worried about tranny. I hear and read horror stories about cost of parts for this car, especially the supercharged models. Just read that there are no spark plug wires as such, each plug has its own coil in the lead? fairwood
  • tig2002tig2002 Posts: 81
    A several posts ago I mentioned that I took my '02 Millenia to the dealer for an entire dashboard replacement under warranty because of rattling and squeaking noise above the glove box when driving on bumpy roads. The service at D. Dahle Mazda in Murray, UT was excellent - provided rental car (a class higher than what Mazda pays), very polite and friendly. I picked up the car after it's been in the shop for 3.5 days. After checking the dash for rattling I was surprised... same exact thing. I went back to the dealer and asked if they really replaced the dash. They did(!). They showed me the old dash, plus the newer one is much cleaner (tan color). I was even more surprised when I checked another '00 Millenia that they had on the lot - same problem. The dealer said that this is the first time they hear this type of complaint, although admitted that it is an annoying noise, and was going to call Mazda and ask them if they have such complaints from other customers, and if they have fix for it. The problem is: when you press on the dash in the middle above the glove box you can hear the squeaking noise, especially at normal or cold outside temperature. You can hear this noise sometimes when you hit bumps. There is no noise when the dash is hot. May be I am too sensitive to any unusual noise and should just disregard this noise as well as others (sunroof). But check yourself and you should have the same problem with your dashboard.

Unfortunately I have never seen any tire service center that would keep the tire pressure according to what manufacturer’s sticker on the body of the vehicle says – never! They usually put too much air as well as oil change centers put too much oil. At least with my experience, even when I ask them to double-check the tire pressure or oil level. And I can feel the tire pressure on any vehicle – not only Millenia. You put 40-45 psi in any vehicle tires, and even Lexus becomes a tractor. That’s what I get after visiting service centers – 40-45 psi tire pressure or an inch higher than Max oil level. I usually adjust the tire pressure every season of the year since the outside temperature affects the pressure in the tires, and always check the pressure at morning when the tires are cold. Always follow what auto manufacturer suggests, not a tire manufacturer, and always check the pressure by yourself, do not trust the service guys. The ride on my Millenia with 32psi front and 29psi rear is perfect.
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    Finger fart. My '01 "P" also calls for 32/29, which is where I keep it. Not 31/29. By the way, at almost 12000 miles the only tire wear I can detect is that the manufacturing "[non-permissible content removed]" have worn off.

I have no dash or roof rattles. I did have a loose tire pressure gauge in the glovebox, and a cup in the right door pocket that rattled a little. Repositioned both with complete success. Now I have a box of tools in the trunk that rattle some, but that will go away when I get through helping my daughter move and remove the toolbox. :)
    tig2000: That squeaking you hear is at the joint where the right hand side of the dash meets the lower left corner of the SRS panel (Safety Restraint System or air bag). Right?? It is the rubbing of the harder plastic SRS cover and the slightly softer dash material. It drove me nuts for first few days after picking up car. It has to be quite a rough road to make it happen. I thought I could lick the problem by injecting talcum powder with a fine nozzled puff bottle but that was useless. I am surprised that your dealer went to all that trouble because this is not an unknown problem and surely they must have had one or two prior complaints. My dealer was afraid to use any pressure or force because the air bag was involved. I can live with a car if there are a lot of rattles etc but if there is only one I will go to the ends of the earth across broken glass in my bare behind to find it. This has not yet reached that stage but is fast approaching. I will take a thin sliver of hard wood or something to wedge between the surfaces. My wife cannot ride in my car - she has MS and we have a wheelchair accessible van for her. So I doubt if anyone would be sitting there when I hit that brick wall at 90mph!! Stay tuned for results. Also just back from road test after yesterday's transmission experience. Hard to tell as strange as that may sound. Maybe I am just getting used to the car - it sure was different from my old Lincoln Town Car for a few weeks. I am finding out that the electronic shifter for the auto transmission needs to go back to school for a refresher course. When it is cold it is not very friendly. I have read on other Mazda sites that this is part of the animal's behavour. As it warms up it gets smoother. That has been my experience anyway. I am dreading the coming of winter - first winter in 10 years that we will be staying home instead of going to Florida for 5 months. I will have to rely on fwatson to keep me informed of what is happening around the Tampa Bay area. My wife wants to get the NFL Sunday package so she can watch her Bucs. Sheesh. She even taped the preseason game from Japan to watch later. fairwood
    Yes, the transmission shift pattern, especially if you slow almost to a stop then accelerate is a little abrupt. In a short while you learn to usually avoid that, but not always. I believe it is programmed that way to downshift and compensate for the less than backbreaking torque Mazda designs into most of their engines. Like I said many posts back, GM especially, and other American mfg's to a lesser extent really have the autoshifting down to a science while a lot of "foreign" cars exibit more noticable shift patterns.
    fairwood: No, it is not the joint where the dash meets the SRS panel. The squeaking noise comes when you press the soft vinyl dash right in the middle between the SRS cover and the edge of the glove box. Imagine a vertical line between the center of the lower edge of SRS cover and glove box. Press right in the middle of that vertical line. It is the material behind the vinyl dash that makes that noise. When the dash is hot, it becomes very soft when you press it, but when it is at normal temperature, it makes that squeaking noise.

The transmission of my Millenia is not smooth at all compared to the Maxima or even '03 Ford Taurus that I rented while my Millenia was in the shop. After seeing many complaints about the smoothness of MM transmission I realize that this is the design of MM. But sometimes I find interesting when the transmission shifts to higher gear at low speed with no reason, especially during left turn (?). When I am at intersection not at complete stop and accelerate to make a left turn, it suddenly shifts to higher gear even when the speed of the vehicle would perfectly allow the tranny continue working on existing gear. Right turn does not change the gear though at the same speed. I always predict that change before making left turn and try not to accelerate hard to increase the lifetime of my transmission.

P.S. I always forget to try to open the trunk with remote while driving to see if it really opens the trunk
    "Imagine a vertical line between the center of the lower edge of SRS cover and glove box. Press right in the middle of that vertical line."

Not on all of them. I just pressed both softly, medium hard, and very hard over that entire area. I was met with complete silence.

"P.S. I always forget to try to open the trunk with remote while driving to see if it really opens the trunk."

Make sure it isn't full of feathers at the time. I don't think there is a lockout on the trunk latch, but I haven't tried it at speed. I do know, that unlike my Olds 88 which has to be taken out of gear for the electric release on the trunk to work, my MM will allow me to pop the trunk as I approach the garage with groceries. But it doesn't fly open like the Olds does. Just releases and the lid stays down.
    When I first tried to push in at center of "line" it was very solid behind, almost like a sheet of steel behind the padding. Then it started to give and now it squeaks across much of that panel!!! I'll get you for this!! Hope it isn't permanent. Like I need another squeak or three. I think we all need to get together at Mon Venus on Dale Mabry in Tampa and have a few Jack Daniels and compare notes. Bring your own car for road testing. And money. And a designated driver. And a list of excuses for our wives. Oh and tig, I'll need your street address so the boys in big black cars can get you for my new squeak. Yeah, right. Stay in touch. fairwood
    fairwood: you did not damage your dash. It is a problem on most MM's that I discovered, and you proved it. It may go away if you don't bother the dash with pressing on that area all the time. But the material behind the vinyl is very sensitive to outside temperature, and the squeaking noise goes away when the dash becomes hot after you leave the car outside on sunny day.

P.S. I could not sleep last night after I noticed some big black cars passed my house several times..:-)
    OK, I just got back home from an errand. While on that errand it occurred to me that the major trunk release mystery had to be solved, and right now.

At 70MPH on US 27, I finally got up the nerve (whew!) and pushed the ta-da, trunk release button on the driver's door. Click! But I see nothing in my rearview mirror. Pulled into a turn lane, made an illegal stop there, walked around and raised then closed my trunk lid.

Now the official results: Yes, on an '01 MM"P" the trunk lid can be released at highway speeds. But, the lid remains down even while braking to compensate for your stupidity of opening it while going down the highway at 70MPH. Case closed. Oh, but I guess it won't hurt to do it with a trunk full of loose feathers, because it stays closed.

I also thought of trying to induce that dashboard squeak by swiftly planting my shoe heel firmly in the center of the panel between the air bag and glove box. Thankfully I was able to control that urge in time to save myself several hundred dollars. Please don't force me to destroy my beautiful (and silent) Millenia to satisfy your sadistic curiosities.
    DEAR ALL: Having 20+ years of driving experience and owning more than dozen cars in my life I have never seen a car where you can damage any part by just gently pressing on it, or even hard pushing (not kicking). If you do not wish to check your dashboard for squeaking noise and "damage" your car - don't do it. But don't tell me that I owe you hundreds of Dollars for your dashboard because you touched that poor baby by my recommendations. And if these are my sadistic curiosities, don't touch anything but steering wheel, and don't push hard in the middle of it, otherwise it will honk. Again, I showed it to the dealer and he admitted that this is a problem, and he didn't say "Hey, don't touch it!", "Are you trying to break your car?". Please do not try to check your dashboard for squeaking on your MM as anybody can do on any car on this planet, and if you do and hear something - I owe you nothing, ask Mazda to cover the damage.
    But what if my trunk had flown open and I had had a load of feathers? Then you would have been responsible for replacement of said feathers, and a possible fine for littering! :)
    You have Michelines? - I have Dunlops SP5000.
    Tomek
    Hope your last post was in jest as were all our posts regarding the squeaks and other problems we come here to solve or help solve. fwatson has been posting here for some time and I don't think he or anyone else is out to get you. I've called off the black cars in any event. And speaking of pieces breaking easily, One of the Plymouths I owned many years ago - I'm guessing around 1957 - had a typical large diameter, thin metal or plastic horn rim. The kind you could trip with your fingers while still hanging onto the wheel. I pushed it one cold morning and the whole ring disintegrated into a dozen pieces around my feet and on my lap. 1957 wasn't my first year behind the wheel so do the math to see how long I have been driving. I have owned well over two dozen cars and not finished yet I hope. This Millenia is the most fun to drive of all those other, mostly forgotten cars and station wagons. I said it here before but worth repeating: first car in decades that I want to get in and drive just for the sheer fun of it. Now everybody relax, take two steps back and take a deep breath. It's a free bar all night for pete's sake, here's to ya. fairwood
    I'm not sure why he seems to have taken offense to my/our posts. If he knew me, he would know it was all in jest. In fact I don't see how anyone could take it otherwise.

I agree my MM is the best car of the 20 some I have had in almost 50 years of driving. The only other I wish I had back was my '68 Charger. Not an RT, just a 318, but I should have never let it go. Most seemed like a great idea at the time, but turned out to be less than desirable. This one after almost two years is like new in every way, and I feel good just driving it.

Both my wife and I really enjoy the strong air intake sound the MM has on hard acceleration. And it is truly the best highway car I have ever driven. Not a buzz or vibration at any speed. If not for a little noise from those Michelins on coarse pavement, it would be almost silent. And I do not usually have the radio on to mask noises.

Sorry tig2000 if I somehow upset you. It was not intended.
    fwatson and fairwood: you did not upset me, at all. I am just trying to find out if this is really a problem, or I am too picky. But I do hear it though.

I don't like my Millenia, I just love it! The way it looks, the way it drives, and the way it smells. In fact I noticed an interesting thing: the value of this car slightly increases. Can this be true? I check the value of the vehicle in one month increments on kbb.com, and it increases with every month I own it. Even when I change the mileage readings to the most current one (approx. 1K/month). Happy to see that my car is not only unique, but also keeps the value well. But who knows when it comes to selling or trading point...
    I hadn't paid much attention to resale value in the almost two years I've had mine. But I just ran retail on KBB, and having paid $21530 for mine in Sept '01, the $17835 is about $3700 less than I paid new. Had I had to pay the almost $30000 MSRP, that would be a major shock. Of course the huge discounts most likely account for the low value of used MM's.

I had read a lot last year from people complaining about the depreciation, and compared it to the Maximas and found little difference in residual value.

I will run mine until the wheels are worn down to the axles though, even if I get another new car. I always have two cars. So resale makes no difference to me.

KBB was also showing a trade-in at a little less than $15500 with 11500 miles in excellent condition.
    I'm with you when you say you love your Millenia. Maybe a love/hate relationship? I too hate squeaks and rattles in a car, it takes away from the pleasure of being in a great vehicle. And I also mentioned before that I look for excuses to go for a ride. My wife and I were at a MS picnic last evening and I mentioned to our little group that formed that I had sold the Town Car and bought a Mazda Millenia. Most didn't know or care about what a Millenia was but a few ears did perk up. That's when Carol said that "he seems to find all sorts of excuses to go out somewhere everyday now". So I have been found out by my wife. I don't think I ever wanted to take the other two dozen or so cars I have owned out for a spin just for the heck of it. It was always get home from work after fighting traffic and put it in the garage for the night. Off to the farmer's market for some local fresh produce but we have to take the Plymouth wheelchair van - no fun in that. fairwood
    I did not compare the value of MM to the price that I purchased for. I compared the following: The trade-in value of my MM on kbb.com with odometer reading 15,000 mi. a few months ago was $14,950. Now the same trade-in value at the same site with odometer reading of 18,500 is $15,200, although a month ago the value with reading 17,500 was $15,550. I don't know how true it can be, but it can happen to the car that has been discontinued and has good feedback from consumer. Of course, the value of this car drops dramatically when comparing MSRP of brand new one and the present value, as any other most valuable car on the market, but this is what I got when compared trade-in values.
  • tomacetomace Posts: 6
    tig2002 I think your correct with the theory of value going up because it's discontinued. I purchased my 02 MM S in April 2002. A co-worker of mine purchased an 02 G35 at the same time. Based on our purchased prices the G35 has depreciated more the the MM S. I think that is probably because there is a new Maxima and no new Millenia. I also paid $3000 less than he did. I paid $25,500 for my MM S back then with every option except 2 tone paint and that price included a rear spoiler I added. After the spoiler my car listed for $34,000. I also think more people are paying attention to the Mazda name with the new 6 and the RX8 about to come out. When I purchased my car, I considered the discontinuing of it and new 6 and had a feeling over time it could help slow the depreciation.

Heads do turn when I pull up in my car. You just don't see one every mile like Accords, Camrys, Maximas, etc. I also keep it exceptionally clean and the silver with the chrome wheels is extremely sharp looking.
    I checkout a couple of other owner sites a few times a week and I must say they are rather strange. One is called Roadrunner Mazda club and is run by www.network54.com The moderator shows up maybe once a decade, there is no search engine and you get a post asking about a 929, the next post is about a 1995 B2000 truck or somesuch and there is little response. Very strange web site. The other one is at www.mazdaworld.org and is a somewhat better site to search thru. You can go to Millenias only but about 90% of the posters there seems to be children in adult bodies. The big thing with several of them is to see who can register the most posts in a day, many posts contain one word with the rest of the screen filled with a picture of their car and all the "who cares but you" data of what they have added, etc. Informative and yet annoying, sifting thru the mindless drivel. Hope they drive better than they write. Any other sites out there worth checking into? I am taking my 2000 MM S in tomorrow for oil and filter and check out or clean the air filter. They check the fluid levels etc for around $35 Can. dollars or about $25 U.S. before taxes. I said I wanted 10w/30 because that is the range recommended for the temperatures over the next several months. I think 5w/30 is too light for summer driving. They said they always put in 5w/30 and that is what they used in May just before I took delivery on May 27. There was no indication that they had done an oil change (very glad they did however) and they also did a safety check and a "drive clean" inspection before delivery. In Ontario we have to pass pollution tests etc every two years and a safety check is mandatory when selling or buying a used vehicle, thru the dealer or privately. No certificate, no licence transfer. Eventually we will get all those oil burners off the road. What oil do you use and what is average temperature for summer and also winter driving. fwatson is exempt since I am very familiar with central Florida weather. It's sort of like New Orleans with two seasons - February and summer. fairwood
    I run 10W30 Castrol GTX Drive Hard and Supertech Filter. I change every 3000 miles or 6 months.

Our temperatures range from 20 to 97 degrees f. Not exactly Feb and summer. We have several month of GORGEOUS spring and fall weather. The hot summer months are from about mid June to mid September. I lived in Missouri until I was 18. The summers there were shorter, but every bit if not more hot and humid. Anything above Iowa I consider the Tundra. :)
    If you remember, my wife and I spent about 5 1/2 months every year in New Port Richey on the gulf coast, from late October to mid April so yes, I am very familiar with FL weather. If I were there all year I too would definitely used 10w/30. This will be the first winter in a decade that we won't be going south and I will have to learn to drive thru that white stuff all over again. We will miss Carrabbas the most plus all the other fresh seafoods, although I saw in yesterday's St. Pete Times that "fresh" grouper is not always fresh, some of it comes from as far as New Zealand and is frozen, even coming from Thailand.
    Who do you trust anymore? fairwood
    Hey, we also get California oranges. :)
  • tomacetomace Posts: 6
    Posting 2522 of mine should have said I35 NOT G35. A different co-worker of mine has a G35 and the depreciation on it is much slower. Sorry for the confusion...
  • mills01mills01 Posts: 3
    Hello All,
    With my SuperCharger gone , I am going through Four quarts every week. Any suggestions?
    Was there any discussion about replacing 'S' - Miller Cycle engine with the regular engine? Is this possible?

Thanks.
    I am sure that would be possible, but a new SC would probably be a lot cheaper.
    What do you mean "with my SuperCharger gone"? How did that happen? The car's still driveable?

"Four quarts every week" ... over how many miles?

As fwatson points out, how much you're talking for sc replacement? Have you tried getting it from a junkyard (given its decent brakes, there must be some Millenias S rear-ended out there)

Tomek