Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• mnoghostmnoghost Member Posts: 11
    the problem actually did turn out to be the parking brake heating up and rubbing on something, they filed it down or whatever the hell they did, and now its finially gone, the sound was driving me nuts and it was so annoying, but has scince then been fixed.
  • rrschlesingerrrschlesinger Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone replaced an alternator in a 2001 S model? I am thinking about doing it myself, but I don't know how hard it will be to do.
  • pharmanpharman Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Ok, I am new to the world of Miller Cycle engines. I am looking at a 99 Millenia S w/101,000. The interior is in great shape, so that leads me to believe that odds are they took care of the rest :shades: . The brake fluid and power steering were both clear and there are no leaks. They are asking $6500 for it and that seems a little on the low side :lemon: ? I did a carfax and there were no big issues reported. So....need some feedback from smarter people than I.
    Thanks
  • willopadwillopad Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know which fuse controls the courtesy lights on the doors for a 99 S model?
    Mine are all inoperative, which raises my suspicions on a fuse being out?
  • petro572petro572 Member Posts: 2
    Can't say I am any smarter but, I just bought a 98 Millenia S w/ 109000 miles. I pd $5500 which was a bit less than wholesale. I have had it for about a 2 months and have never regreted it. My Millenia also appeared well maintained upon purchase. I have never enjoyed a car so much. I have only 1 complaint. I am not particularly crazy about the sound of the Miller Cyle. (faint continuos knocking of the timing advance) However, all in all my suggestion is to get it. My research tells me that if it was well maintained and has had regular and routine oil changes, it will run for years. The Miller Cycle has a bad rap because it is very unforgiving to those who fail to maintain proper maintenance.
  • edialloediallo Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am new to this board. I have a 99 Millenia s w/40,600. It is in great shape. I drove my Nissan Sentra for years and garaged the Mazda. Now I am ill with rheumatoid arthritis and drive my car about once a week. I took it to Carmax this past Fri. and they REALLY wanted to buy it for $6000. I had checked Kelly Blue Book and it said that I could sell it privately for over $10,000. I could use it as a trade-in and get $8,000. It also said that my car was worth $13,000. What do you think the value really is?
    Thanks!
  • willopadwillopad Member Posts: 4
    I think that you can get between $8750 to $9750 if it's perfect.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can also try asking Terry (rroyce10) in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to include all the necessary information that is listed in red above the post box.

He's a very helpful member who happens to be a dealer he'll give you his straight-up assessment based on all the info you give him.

Good luck!
  • nzigmanzigma Member Posts: 13
    When closing the front door I get a hollow 'tin' sound that are more prevalent in cheaper cars, whereas the other 3 doors make that dull thud sound when shut, as is the case with more higher end cars. I have a 2001S with 26K clicks.

My OE Dunlops 5000 are nearing it's end and I'm looking at replacing with Falken 512 @ USD 463.00 all inclusive. Anyone with experience with these tires. Cheers ">
  • tmmentalitytmmentality Member Posts: 3
    MY TILT WHEEL IN MY MAZDA MILLENIA WONT MOVE UP OR DOWN CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM??
  • nzigmanzigma Member Posts: 13
    There is a little button just below the turn switch on the steering column. Try pressing that.
    are u talking about da auto button, if u are i have already tried dat.
    my 95 millenia automatic doorlocks wont work i have to opean them using my hands or da key.any help please.
  • stodiejastodieja Member Posts: 6
    try tapping on the motor sometimes they stick you may have to replace the motor
    for this concern
  • mmerchantmmerchant Member Posts: 18
    Dunlop SP5000 - I am very surprised you have to replace them after just 26k (I assume you mean kilometres and not miles). Mine lasted nearly 55K having rotated them every 8-10000 kms.

I do not have any comments on the Falkens but having tried Proxes TPT, I would not recommend them for the Millenia. They developed feathering (and hence annoying noises) after just 15000kms due to their design on the edges. The redesigned Proxes may address the feathering issue

I reverted to the Dunlop 50000.
    Silver's opinion on the 2001 S is right on. The compressor on mine went at 24,000 kms and the replacement has been fine for almost 2.5 years. I have 107,000kms now. A foreman at a Mazda dealer told me they had to replace the Lysholm compressors on 4 Millenias recently - around the 50-60K mark.

I purchased a Mazda extended warranty that covers me to 160,000 kms, so I feel quite comfortable. If you can buy one, it is peace of mind - whatever others may say about not spending money on extended warranties I believe in them. I had one on my Honda Accord and it proved to be of immense value when tere was a leak in the trasnmission at 159,000 Kms - just before the expiry.

Anyway, the MIlenia is a fantastic car to drive - as indeed are all Mazdas - provided you are well looked after by your dealer. In my case I get excellent service.
  • mm2001mm2001 Member Posts: 6
    I recently acquired a 2001 Millenia S.. just like new with only 10000 km on it (6000 miles) Occasionally, I notice a sulfur-like odor which seems to be coming from the catalytic converter area. I had it checked out at a Mazda dealer, but they didn't see any problems with the converter. They think it just may be the gas I'm using, since it doesn't occur all the time. They advise using premium gas from Shell, rather than gas from cheaper independent dealers.

I have only been using premium gas in my Millenia, but not always from a big-name dealer. I must admit that the last time I filled up at Shell, I had my best gas mileage yet and didn't notice the sulfur odor. Do the smaller gas retailers really have poorer gas quality?
    Each company varies the amount of sulfur used n the gas, and this again varies from city to city or region to region. I have been using Sunoco 94 Octane for a long time, but if I switch to its 92 Octane I get the sulfur odor. On the other hand 91 Octane from Esso works fine, but the same octane level gas from Petro Canada and sometimes Shell induces the sulfur odor.

I find that my Millenia drives best with 94 from Sunoco - it doesn't take long (for me) to realize that it suffers going dropping to a lower octane rating. If you are happy with Shell stick to it.
  • jlmalinowskijlmalinowski Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking for an independent and reliable mechanic in the Kitchener, Waterloo, Guelph, Cambridge area. I own a 2000 Millenia. Can you provide your mechanic's name, number and address?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    My experience with my 2000 Millenia S hasn't been so good. I bought the car used in 2002 with 27,000 k on it. I know have 110,000 on the odometer but have had to replace three ignighter coils ($1000 per pop, although I chewed on the dealer and he dropped the price by half. I've also had to replace the front wheel bearing, manifold gaskets, o2 sensor, fuel pump and the latest is the supercharger seal are leaking. They want $7000 for that one.

I understand Mazda has issues M-Tip on the super charger (similar to a tech service bulletin). Does anyone know where I can get a copy?
  • jynyatecjynyatec Member Posts: 1
    I recently acquired a 1995 millenia w/2.5 eng w/127k miles. Here is my issue I bought it from an auction so I did not realize that the car will not shift past 2nd gear. Also when it does shift into 2nd it is kind of a thud. Searching the web i found another place that says tranny is in some sort of lag mode and the cause some connectors to the ECM. Has anyone heard of this before. Also the CEL is on but I figure that is from the tranny acting up. Other than that car is in great shape. Runs well a few leaks but nothing major. For what I paid for the car I can not complain if I have to replace the tranny. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciate. Thanks
    Hi mm201,
    The sulphur smell is the catalytic. Mazda isn't being upfront about this. Its a very common problem - not just with Mazda. The gas you buy isn't causing the problem. The difference in regular or premium is the octane rating. Your car will run fine on regular. The compression stroke of the piston causes a shock wave in the air/fuel mixture. On high compression engines this shock wave is enough to ignite the mixture sooner than it should. Higher octane fuels will prevent this preignition.
    Hey anyone know of a good mechanic in the Kitchener, Waterloo, Guelph, Cambridge area of Ontario? I need to get the timing belt replaced - anticipated that, but I also need to replace the supercharger (leaking seals, leaks oil into cylinders and I get blue smoke on start up for about 4 seconds. Mazda wants $7000 to do the job. Thanks.
  • wwbradleywwbradley Member Posts: 25
    Hi Jeff. I've found the most amazing mechanic, Gary. He runs Gary's Automotive and his shop is in north Waterloo, sort of in behind the staples/home depot stores. His number is 747-5571. Dead honest, very skilled (rebulds Porsche engines for fun). I would trust him for any Millenia job. He looks after my 2000s and several others. My Millenia is a winter beater for my turbo Supra, and he maintains that as well. He's the corporate mechanic for a lot of guys at Research In Motion (like me). Tell him that Wayne recommended him, swing by and meet him one day.
    So my Millenia 2000s radio (in-dash player, not the trunk mounted multidisk player) began to skip while playing CDs. I asked everyone around about this and the advice was that even very skilled shops couldn't do anything with the "Mazda Diversity" system because the schematics are not available and parts are not available.

It seems that you could take it to Mazda dealer, they send it somewhere for weeks, the bill is high and then the dealer marks that up 40%. Unappealing.

Current advice is to scrap the player and install a new Alpine/ Pioneer/ whatever.

Waddya think?
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to stick with high octane premium gas from one of the major dealers for awhile, and see if that solves the problem.

That means paying a buck a litre for gas up here in Manitoba.. but if it means better performance, it's worth the few extra bucks.
    Wouldn't you know it.. I go to gas up today, and my gas door won't open! (2001 Millenia S, 10000 km) I kept pressing the gas door button, but nothing happened.. it took several tries before I finally manged to get it to pop open. Now I tried it again tonight, and it doesn't work.

I intend to bring it in as soon as I can, but it would be helpful if someone could give me some insight into what may be the problem here.. i.e. why isn't the gas door release mechanism working? The car is still practically brand new.
  • j30j30 Member Posts: 30
    That happened to me and the dealer just sprayed some silicon on the hinge and release tab where it catches on the post and it works fine, now I do it myself about once a month just to keep it slick.
  • george25george25 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my "Milli" for 5 years and she's great. New paint, 20' wheels and tires, side view mirror blinkers and custom stereo are just a few things I have done so far. My question for anyone out there is I was thinking about installing Lambo doors on the car. If anyone has attempted to do the level of custom work to their "Milli" they will know that there is not much of a market or this model car. Just wanted to know if anyone has tried it or what you think. Thank you. :shades:
    Turned out the release tab was a little too tight, and wasn't allowing the door to pop open. A simple adjustment on the tab, plus some lubricant on the hinges, and it works fine now.
  • 01_milly_s01_milly_s Member Posts: 6
    How's it going, george25? Do you have pictures of your esteemed Milly? I don't see why one can't install Lamborghini doors in the car. I remember seeing a universal kit used in MTV's "Pimp My Ride" not too long ago.
    I'd like to put sidemarkers on the side mirrors, as well. Do you have a flip trunk in your ride, as well? I bought a kit off eBay, but have yet to install it. I don't like the standard goose necks. :D
  • mazdafreakmazdafreak Member Posts: 27
    It's amazing how history repeats itself and how common Millenia owners have to face basically pretty much the same problems over and over.
    Awful to hear that a +/- 35,000.00$ cdn car has audio components issues.
    If i'm not mistaking Nagamichi manufactures(d) Millenia's head units.
    My opnion, like you say: crap the OEM & install a good aftermarket (Alpine); a little pricey but woth the money.Of course you can buy any brand you like.
    Personally i removed & replaced all OEM audio from my '00 S & built it from scratch. Apline HU, Boston Components (doors & rear deck) Cerwin-Vega sub,
    Alpine Amp. Sounds great and costed well under 2000.00$ cdn.
  • mazdafreakmazdafreak Member Posts: 27
    Hey george25, do you any pics. of your ride? Sounds like an awesome Milly!
    I got some blinkers also but i haven't done anything yet. Can you explain the procedure? on this forum or email me!
    Good luck with the Lambo doors! :shades:
  • msmilleniamsmillenia Member Posts: 1
    Hi all...
    I have a question, I have a 2001 Mazda Millenia, and just today as I was driving I noticed that the brake petal went all the way down... And the next thing I knew I couldn't stop!! So.. I let go of the break... tried it again and it worked. Decided to drive it a little bit more.. then.. my emergency break light came on.. I freaked!!! Pulled over and read the manual, it said... "You may notice that the pedal is harder to push or that it may go closer to the floor. It says to check the brake fluid... it should be at Max... after adding fluid check the light" Ok so I check... it was at Min, I added break fluid.. and decided to drive around a little bit more... And I still notice that the petal is going closer to the ground... I am calling my mechanic tomorrow.. but I just figured I would post this.. and see if this has happened to anyone else... Please let me know!! I am a little frantic!! Thanks!!!
  • hockey4lifehockey4life Member Posts: 3
    mazda 626 lx 4cylinder owns thnk you it would own the millenia
  • beano1beano1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 mazda millenia (base). I am letting a mechanic friend of mine change the timing belt for me but he doesn't have the timing specs. Mazda will not tell him or give him anything and non mazda dealers and mechanics are no help. Mazda said he could order a manual from them that will take 8-10 days to get to us. I am hoping not to wait that long. Can ANYONE help with this problem please?
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    Go to autozone.com and click on "Vehicle Repair Guide" then follow through until you get the Tune-Up Specifications for your car.

I did, and for the '98 2.5 they give a setting of 10b (the b equaling btdc). It also gives you the plug setting etc.
  • wekddswekdds Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 millenia s--a real love hate relationship for the past 8 years. Been through a lot of the stuff that has been discussed on this forum. Still find it an awesome car. I have nearly 95,000 miles on it. I would like to buy a OBD device for the car to read the codes. It seems this car is on the cusp of the OBD I and OBD II readers. Any idea where I can get a reader that works with this car. Presently, my light is on--the car doesn't want to idle very well nor accelerate without hesitation--it sometime stalls out. I thought it was a load of bad gas but gas treatment and new fuel hasn't cured the problem. Any suggestions?
    Thanksimage
  • genemo3genemo3 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 1999 2.5 L Millenia and had the "check engine" light come on at 43500 miles. My mechanic (whom I trust) cleaned the EGR passages and all is well. There is a lot of labor involved just getting to the cleaning job and the bill was $334.00. Anybody else have this EGR problem? Great car by the way. This is the first problem with the car.
    Freak, I'm going exactly the same direction. Turns out that the Mazda radios were, are, Panasonic. The BOSE option was speakers and outboard amps, over promoted and overrated. Garbage.

My Alpine deck gets installed Monday and speakers and the rest of the project are just ahead.

link title

I bought that model from an ebay seller. Sounds like your car has some issues. Check the code, turn the light off and see what happens. If it lights again immediately, or if the drivability issues remain, then it's off to the mechanic.

• kherrmannkherrmann Member Posts: 10
    One shop suggests acceleration lag is due to supercharger needing replacement ($5000). Another shop feels spercharger is fine, it's a slow response from the auto transmission. Car is strong and quick when already under even a slight load. Huge dead response however when coasting down the road and trying to accelerate. Actually dangerous lag. Suggestions or thoughts? Vaccuum problem somewhere?
    The supercharger failures are always oil leaks. Some seals fail, oil leaks into it, gets sucked into the engine and burns out the tailpipe. Clue is noticable oil smoke on startup.

If this is not happening, then I was guess not supercharger. Could be a vacuum leak - common- or a transmission problem. Find a good mechanic and get it figured out.
  • kherrmannkherrmann Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the input. Car has always had a slight, but noticeable oil smoke discharge on startup since new. Several dealers have said it's "normal for the car". Seems wierd to me. Lag problem isn't nearly as severe if I'm driving in D2 instead of D3 where the trans has to shift down. I'm suspecting vaccuum leak, but it's off to the dealer we go...
  • majostymajosty Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

Well I have a Millenia 2002 and I recently saw a strange light blinking on the dash. It looks like a red airbag sign. It's difficult to draw a picture here. I don't have the owner's manual. Anybody can help me with that ?

p.s. Sign looks a little bit like that (blinking in red) : /T O
  • claudia2claudia2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Millenia S (76,000 miles) am having the same problems as you. Although I have replaced 3 coils, spark plugs. Independent mechanic recommends compression test (?) . Check engine light blinks for a few seconds then stays on for approx 10 more starts than stays off for awhile. so far spent 1700 trying to fix this issue. Am in New Jersey if anyone can reccomend a mechanic, would appreciate it Am ready to pull my hair out..I am female and driving with CEL just makes me nervous that I will have bigger problems. Please share..
  • claudia2claudia2 Member Posts: 3
    My airbag light blinks occasionally also.. I told dealer they reset computer it stayed off for a while but still will blink a few times a month. He asked if there was a pattern to the blinks. I think this is the least of my problems though more concerned about CEL.
    Claudia, it would be really helpful if you could tell us what the code is when they read it. When the light comes on, one or more codes are stored in the computer and they look like P0420 for example. The codes tell what problem caused the light to come on.

In general, the light is telling you that "your car may (or may not) be emitting pollutants in excess of the regulations". As long as you are experiencing no drivability problems (stalls, hesitates, low power, etc.) then don't worry about it too much.

It's highly likely that the money you've spent so far has been entirely wasted because the money's gone and the problem remains. A big advantage with a MIllenia is a trusted, honest and skilled independent mechanic that will think and work with the car. I have one here, but this is Canada. Ask around..

KH, my 2000S always blows a small puff of smoke when itstarts. Seems that it is completely normal. It's been doing that since I got it 16 months ago, and the oil level is always right up.

Weird, but perhaps it's the nature of the beast.

• mnoghostmnoghost Member Posts: 11
    about 2 weeks ago, my check engine light came on, it stayed on for about 4 starts, then went off, stayed off for about a week, then came back, and then went away again after 4 or 5 starts, i disconnected the negative battery cable for a half hour, put it back on, and about a week later, the light came back, and went away after 4 starts. I had my dads friend check the code, and it was P0325 which is for the knock sensor. he turned the light off earlier today, and it hasnt come back on yet. my millenias a 02 L and it has 23,000 miles on it. someone told me this could be from a case of bad gas. the cars still under warranty, so should i wait and see if it comes back on and then take it to the dealer, or just take it in now and let them check it