Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    Can you explain the problem a little more? When you say "flat spot" do you mean lack of power, hestitation or what? How much load makes it go away? How long has it been noticed? Did it just start to occur or worsen with time? I am guessing the dealer has witnessed your symptoms. Did he actually measure a lean condition?
  • nzigmanzigma Member Posts: 13
    My 2001 S failed a carbon monoxide test today with a reading of 9.15...normal being 6.21 g/km. It is rather surprising given the 30,000 miles on it. Any suggestions as to a quickfix. Having no knowledge about cars chances are that I'll be 'overdiagnosed' and 'overcharged' by the dealership. What could be the source of this problem ?? Thanks
  • millenia2001millenia2001 Member Posts: 1
    I don't have an answer for the squeaking noise but the airbag light on our 2001 Millenia was due to a white connector under the drivers seat. You may notice a pattern to the blinking of 2 long blinks followed by 6 short blinks. At least this was the pattern for our particular case. The pattern gives an indication as to the possible problem. I was able to stop the blinking temporarily by pushing the connector together. After 3 trips to the dealership they finally fixed the problem.

Good luck.
  • 1999milliman1999milliman Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same or similar issue as well, sluggish off the line but exceptional power at passing speeds. I've noticed that when the vehicle is cold the performance is better, but as it warms up is when I notice the issue. I also will be running at a continuous speed (have felt it at high and low speeds) and I can feel somewhat of a surge. It is hardly noticeable, but it IS there. I have replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injection flush, decarbon, throttle body cleaned... I think that is everything.... The problem still exists and have not seen any improvements with any of the actions I've taken. If anyone has seen similar issues and found a fix, please post.
  • rmexkcrmexkc Member Posts: 7
    Khermann, I have the same problem too. When I'm at a stoplight, it turns green, I hit the throttle, and it's flat - no response for a second. Feels weird. I've noticed during the humid weather we have in Kansas City, my '98 S runs rough - such as when it idles, it seems like something's clogged, same thing when I accelerate it seems like it's trying cough something up. It sometimes does this after it rains. The CEL starts blinking when all this happens. After I drive it for a few minutes, whatever's giving it trouble subsides, then the CEL will continue to blink for a day or two, then just stay on like it usually does.
  • bschroed37bschroed37 Member Posts: 1
    Hi -

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you at this point. I am, however, thinking about buying a 2000 Millenia S for myself and wanted to know a few things about yours before I do so I can try to avoid the same things happening to me.

Did you have a mechanic (Mazda dealership or otherwise) look at the car before you bought it? Did they check the seals? Did the seals look ok at the time of purchase and develop this problem within a year? I love so much about this car, but I'm starting to get a bit wary after reading about some of the engine issues. I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice you might have.

Thanks,

Barry
  • hecklerheckler Member Posts: 3
    I have a 97 2.5 l Millenia, I replaced the All front Oxygen sensors with Generic
    sensors. The same product as the originals. You only need to strip the wire and
    apply the factory plug.. easy...

The generic plugs go for about 50.00 bucks here in Miami. Try finding those plugs
    in your local professional parts store or send me a email (umy304@hotmail.com)
    and I give you the name of the store in Miami. I'm sure you can work something out with them.
    I have a 97 2.5 L and I have done a complete tune up. I notice that I have been
    burning alot of fuel lately. Did I miss anything ? Pls help Im avrg. 16 mpg :cry:

The tune up includes:
    Plugs
    wire
    rotor and cap
    fuel and air filter
    oxygen sensors.
    Sorry, its not 16 mpg its 13 ....

Let me also mention that I had my throttle body cleaned.. can that have something to do with it ? :cry:
  • carchick2carchick2 Member Posts: 1
    I recently took my 1999 Mazda Millenia S (65,000 miles)into the dealership where I purchased my car for a routine check-up and asked them to replace the timing belt and other belts. They charged $794.00 to change the belts, rotate the tires, and replace the oil and filter. I felt this was pricey, but I was willing to pay it because I love my car and it rides/drives like a dream. However, I received a call from the dealership saying that when they test drove my car, the tranmission was sputtering and slipping , something that had never happened while I drove the car. They say that I must have a new transmission ($3600) but fortunately I have an extended warranty that will cover all but a $50.00 deductible. My question is could the mechanic possibly have messed up the transmission during the test drive? Could changing the timing belts have caused transmission damage? They also said that one of my catalytic converters went bad and they replaced it for free. Is it possible that my car just happened to start falling apart during preventitive maintainence, or am I just being taken for a ride? Please help!
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    I don't see how any of us could answer whether you have run into a dishonest dealer.

Why not check with the BBB in their area. You could also take the car to a known honest dealer for a second opinion. But from the prices I have seen on servicing the S, the $794 is in line with others I've seen on this forum. And if you don't feel any "sputtering and slipping" it probably doesn't exist. If you do, $50 for a new transmission is a great use for that extended warranty that usually doesn't pay off.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - sorry to hear of all this happening to you. You can follow up on fwatson's suggestions, but you might also want to post this in our Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion to see what the resident gearheads think.

Good luck - let us know what happens.
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    I am assuming that your poor mpg started after the tune-up and the oxygen sensors were replaced. A couple of suggestions: replace your PCV valve and also check to make sure that your generic sensors are the correct size and that the are not restricting the exhaust system. I also am assuming that your acceleration is fine and that you do not have a compression problem.
    Have you actually driven your car since the work has been done? If the timing belt was installed wrong you would have low engine compression which will cause a lack of horsepower. I agree with Frank and take the extended warranty option and pay the $50 for a NEW transmission, and not a rebuilt one. I would also give them an ear full about how they screwed up your car for just doing some routine maintence on it and see how they react to that. I also find it strange that one of your catalytic converters went bad and that they found this out, considering they should not have even been looking at that in the first place.
  • rmexkcrmexkc Member Posts: 7
    Getting mine replaced on 98 S, both sides totaling $270 for re-manufactured, around $300 labor. Not bad?
  • enigma02enigma02 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2002 Millenia a year ago w/32k miles I thought it was a good vehicle(I now have 63k), I was wrong. The CEL comes on and off whenever it feels like it. Brought it in to the stealership and they can’t duplicate problem. The airbag light likes to come on only when it’s snowing, and most recently the car is just sluggish and the trans feel funny at take off. To add insult to injury the stealership where I purchased the vehicle (Sam Leman Mazda) has a terrible service department. Of course they were unable to duplicate any of the problems, all the while wanting to charge 70per diagnostic per problem. Well I have gotten rid of the Mazda and purchased a 2005 3.5 V6 Nissan Altima and I’m glad I did, I love it, simply put I will NEVER purchase a Mazda again.
  • j30j30 Member Posts: 30
    I love my 02 and will have it for a long time, thanks for letting us know you sold it, have fun in the Nissan boards. Remember no car is perfect...
  • 1999milliman1999milliman Member Posts: 2
    What are the typical indications that an O2 sensor may be going out? My 1999 Milli has excellent performance when it is cold, but once it warms up it is sluggish and feels that it surges a bit. Off of the line it actually has a hesitation at times once it is warmed up. But as I said, the first few minutes of driving in the morning are a blast as the car has an excellent amount of power. Has anyone else had a similar issue?
  • schaseschase Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 Millenia 2.5, with 134K runs great. The problem is, when I turn off the key, the engine continues to run. This only happens if he engine is warmed up. If it's cold, it will turn back off. I changed the ignition relay and the ignition switch (electronic part). The way I turn the motor off is to pull out either the "engine" fuse or the "IIA" fuse. When the key is off and the motor is running, the "key in ignition" bell doesn't sound when the door is opened, the turn signals work, and the cruise control light turns on. The A/C, radio, and other key on accessories don't work. I had the after market alarmsystem removed, and that didn't solve the problem, so I had it reinstalled. Does anyone have an idea?
  • fuzz44fuzz44 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of performance upgrades( computor ect.) I have an 2001 s, and really enjoy it, thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to stop by our Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board.
    I am no engineer, but in my experience I have seen cars "diesel" after being shut down hot. It is at least sometimes caused by severe carboning of the pistons and heads. I would have a mechanic take a look into the upper cylinders with the spark plugs removed.

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion. But the fact it shuts down cold suggests to me it isn't an electrical problem.

Good luck.
  • shovelheadshovelhead Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Millenia S and it stalled today. When I try and restart it, it acts like a fuel injected car that has ran out of gas. It cranks and idles low, then when I put it in gear to go, it either dies as soon as I depress the accelerator, or will idle along slowly with no power. However, I have a 1/4 tank of gas. Can anyone help?
  • wgirishwgirish Member Posts: 3
    :sick: Can't Belive it. Just got a used Milly this weekend. Come monday morning CEL comes on. Dang it.

Well. I plan to keep this baby, Maintain it and enjoy the Drive. Its 1995 Millenia (Regular not the S one). Will take it to autozone. See what they say is going on.
    Will keep you guys posted.

Got a amazing :) deal on it.. Or maybe a Crappy Deal :cry: .. guess we will find out after a visit to Autozone. This puppy is 82200 Miles. And runs great,

regards

Girish
  • felixc1976felixc1976 Member Posts: 31
    Folks
    I'm looking to buy '01 Millenia with 2.5L engine and 43k mi. A couple of questions:

1) Is $14k a good price?
    2) Does 2.5L uses regular and Miller cycle 2.3L uses Premium fuel?
    3) What kind of MPG you get for 2.5L and Miller cycle engine?
  • glvhglvh Member Posts: 3
    My son is looking at a 1995 Millenia S, 63,000 miles. He's car faxed it and it comes up clean. Only 13,000 miles put on it the first five years. Besides the cost of the 60,000 mile service (not sure if this was done) is there anything he should be careful of?
    :cry: Dang it !! AutoZone Refused to Check out the CEL :sick: .. They say that they can only do it for 1996+ Models.. Mine is 1995

Any Suggestions ?

Looks like a trip to Dealership or Midas .. Any recommendations ? Their Goes 80 Bucks.

Regards

Girish
    How much is he asking ?
    I just brought mine over the weekend. 1995 Milli. 82 K..2400 AND the CEL light just came on !! Damn.

But the Car is SWEEET.. if i have to maintain it, i will ... since i paid 2400 buck only.. Rides very well. has all the elements of luxary sedan..

hey comfort does not come cheap. - u know

Girish
    Asking $4,900. I'm hoping that if the 60,000 mile service isn't done they'll still come down a little more, but from what I'm seeing it looks like a good price.
    I saw you picked yours up at auction. Thought about him looking that direction too. Can definitely save many $$ that way.
  • jerryf12jerryf12 Member Posts: 2
    Shovelhead you may want to check the cat-converter, fuel pump, ignition advance also the intake. The oxy2 sensor may be sending info to the computer that is having it shut the fuel down to the "limp home mode." Maybe don't know for sure but these have been causes of your problem.

Aloha
  • jerryf12jerryf12 Member Posts: 2
    felixc 1976...I use to work for a dealership (not in maintainence) and was stung by the Millenia. It is a super car and I would have on along side or instead of my BMW. 14k for a 4 year old car with 43k miles on it doesn't sound too bad if it is in great shape and you have checked with Kelly Blue Book (.com) on retail, wholesale, etc. It's free!
    I believe that both of the engines were unleaded regular and that the Miller cycle gave more power on better economy. That was one of it's selling points. I cannot remember what the actual numbers were but they we very good for a sedan that size and that year. Today of course is another thing and your results will be dependant on how heavy your foot is. This is a great cruiser and good looking at that with lots and lots of toots and whistles.

Good Luck...Aloha
    The 2.5L engine does use regular unleaded and the 2.3L does use premium unleaded. FWATSON would be the best one to answer the question on the '01 2.5L, because I am sure that that is the model that he has. I believe that at the time the window stickers on both were saying that in town mileage should be about 20 - 21 mpg. I have an '02 S, with the 2.3L, and I am getting 23 mpg in town but I have a very light foot on the gas. My parents also have an '02 S and they get about 19.5 mpg in town. Highway mileage averages out to be 27 mpg and that is what epa said it should be. I have had a range on the highway mpg from 25 - 31 mpg, but it has averaged 27mpg. It appears that I am getting better then normal mileage in town as compared to most people who have stated their mileage here in the past.
  • j30j30 Member Posts: 30
    I have an 02 2.5L and have put regular in since day one and my average mileage is 26 here in flat Florida. Love the car.

One thing that really bugs me though is the defroster is not on a timer and will even stay on when you cycle the car on and off, so I find that I am constantly looking at the indicator to make sure I remembered to turn the darn thing off. Why it is not on a timer like every other car I have owned is anyone's guess. If that is all I can complain about after three years ownership, it must be a pretty good car.

I will be looking at replacing the original tires in the next year, I thought the OEM Michelin tires were good with grip and noise levels and will definitely consider them. What have you others been replacing yours with?
    I had missed that when it was posted.

I'd refer you to KBB.com for the price information, because there are variables that might affect the price of the one you are looking at. But in my area, here is the retail according to Kelly. "Retail Value-$13,690"

As for milage, the worse I have gotten on my '01P is 20mpg, and I get 26 to 27 on a trip. I run only regular unleaded, although I did try a couple of tanks of 93 octane and couldn't see any difference at all, either in performance or milage. With only 43 thousand on it the car is or should be the same as new. It is the most pleasant car I have ever owned, about 20 of them total.
    Quote: "I will be looking at replacing the original tires in the next year, I thought the OEM Michelin tires were good with grip and noise levels and will definitely consider them. What have you others been replacing yours with?"

I only have 16000 on mine, so am quite aways from needing new ones. I may replace them next year just because they will be 5 years old and rubber starts deteriorating. I don't have an answer for you, but I am going to look for the smoothest, quietest R,S or T rated tire available, because there is no way I need a V rated tire when I will never be going over 100 mph, and the luxury aspect of the car is best upheld from the quiet and smooth standpoint.

I am fairly satisfied with the OEM's, but I do think I can find an even quieter tire, especially on a ribbed or coarse surface. I will gladly sacrifice the high speed ability for the more luxurious quietness.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    I have 01S, it needs premium (pretty much like everything with a supercharger or turbo), I'm getting 22MPG city, 27+ highway (less when going over 80mph).

The best tires I've ever had were the OEM Dunlop SP5000 that came on my S, replaced them after 46K miles with identical set from Tire Rack ($98 per tire).

Knock on wood after some early issues with coolant leaks fixed under warranty by VERY good service dept at Mazda Gallery in Norwood MA I had absolutely 0 issues in the last couple of years. Nothing went wrong (except for right front parking light bulb that went out) ... I hope I didn't jinx it.

Hope this helps,
    Tomek
    We have had a '95 S in our family since it was new. Our son has it now with 106,000 on the odometer. The 60k service is important. Back in '98, the 60k service on it was around $800. which included timing belt and spark plugs. Surely much higher now. Since then the only major thing he had to service was both new CV shafts at about $400. Check the rubber boots for cracks or tears.

Now the water pump is leaking and needs replaced. It is costly because of the labor time to get it out.

The Millenia has been a good car for him but the repair costs are considerably higher than other cars. Be sure the supercharger is good and that the valve cover seals are not leaking. If the 60k service can't be verified, offer wholesale regardless of low miles. Age is the main issue here as time can be as detrimental as mileage.
  • heybradyheybrady Member Posts: 75
    I replaced the OEMs back in 03 with a set of Continental ContiContact. I was looking for a nice H rated tire (115 or 120mph I think) that would give me long tread life since I drive 20k miles per year. Those tires were average, nothing special, but lasted a good 45k miles. At the time I think it was about $118 per tire. A few months ago I was looking for tires again and after searching around I was impressed with Michelin, but could not justify spending $150+ per tire. Ended up getting Goodyear Comfortreds for $108 per tire, plus 10 for all the roadhazard protection, etc. Actually printed out Walmart.com price and took it to NTB (a real tire shop) to match prices. I couldnt be happier with the Goodyears. They are 80k mile tires and while not the highest performance, they definitely are quiet and have a great ride.
  • kherrmannkherrmann Member Posts: 10
    Been away from the board awhile...sorry. The "flat spot" is best described as absolutely no repsonse for 1-2 seconds after trying to accelerate. It is most noticeable - and dangerous - when the engine is going from a no load situation (ie coasting or neutral throttle) to acceleration(ie passing). If I jump on it right off the line, it will actually make a big cough then I have full power. The dealer here in Vancouver has had it for 5 days in the shop with no answers. Somebody out there has got to have seen this problem before... New fuel filter. New plugs. Checked timing belt. Checked O2 sensor. Mine also has that very subtle surge when simply traveling along. It failed air care so now I'm in a pickle. The shop indicated that it runs very lean right off idle and reading whatever guage he was using he could predict when it would "go flat" on him. Seems to have worsened over time.

thoughts?

K
    All that I can give you is a laundry list of potential causes for this problem, they may or may not fit for you, this is according to the '02 workshop manual.

1. Improper A/C system operation.
    2. Air leakage from intake-air system parts.
    3. Improper operation of IAC valve.
    4. Erratic signal from CKP sensor.
    5. Vacuum leakage.
    6. Spark leakage from high-tension leads.
    7. PCV valve malfunction.
    8. Restriction in exhaust system.
    9. Improper fuel pressure.
    10. Fuel leakage from injector.
    11. Intermittent open or short of MAF sensor, TP sensor and VSS.
    12. ATX malfunction.
    13. Erratic signal from CMP sensor.
    14. Purge solenoid valve malfunction.
    15. EGR system malfunction.
    16. Low engine compression.
    17. Poor fuel quality.
    18. Air cleaner restriction.
    19. Improper valve timing due to jumping out of timing belt.
    20. Intermittent open/short in fuel pump circuit.
    21. Fuel pump mechanical malfunction.
    22. Clogged injector.

I hope this list can give some help or at least something new to look at, or something new for your dealer to look at.
    Check fuel filter and fuel pressure.
  • cusi1cusi1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I have a '99 Millenia S with 83,000 km and just recently the car has started acting up. When I am travelling at a constant speed, the RPM's will suddenly increase by 500-1000 then return to normal and sometimes the car will stay in too low of a gear for a few seconds too long. Secondly, the car will jerk after accelerating from a stop. These problems will happen a few times in a day, then I won't see it again for a few days.

The CEL has never come on in my car and my Mazda mechanic doesn't know what it is either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael
  • kherrmannkherrmann Member Posts: 10
    I've just tried the car when it's cold and indeed we are having the same problem. I also have the very subtle surge you mentioned. Any luck yet with yours? My Mazda dealer is stumped and indicates that since the car is out of warranty Mazda won't do much about it.
    Our '95 S did this a while ago (transmission shifted to lower gear at constant highway speed). Mazda dealer really didn't know for certain what was causing it. They thought it was an engine vacuum problem. They wanted us to spend money for them to tear the engine apart and try to find the problem. We did not. After about a year it just went away and runs normal now. It seems to have cured itself.
  • aginsegnanteaginsegnante Member Posts: 4
    Hey, my auto mechanic (local Exxon) told me he would not charge me after the first time of checking that infernal Check Engine Light! So, I paid the initial fee, and he has not charged me again for all the times he has checked it. Try finding someone who might do that.
  • aginsegnanteaginsegnante Member Posts: 4
    After spending $563 to get the infernal engine light off at a dealer (yes, that is ridiculous, but I am sick of dealing with it!), a week later a storm blew throught NC and a branch blew from quite a ways and knocked out my back window! Of course, the 99 Millenia is one of two model years where they do not keep the glass in stock, so it is coming from Atlanta to Charlotte today (Sun, July 31.) From what I can tell, there is not other external damage, which I cannot believe. As it has rained continuously, I have not been able to remove the tarp to check it carefully. What I do know is this: the brake light located at the back window is broken loose and cracked, so it will have to be replaced. (Thank goodness the dealer inspected the car when they finally finished repairing it.) Now, I think I can find someone locally to do this,but a couple questions for you experts....In the back (on either side of brake light) are some speakers for the radio/stereo system as well as some vents. I do not know the purpose of the vents; assume they are with the defrost system, even though there are lots of little wires running through the window. My concern is this---are these speakers and vents water tight? Do I need to have someone check these? And, if there is a problem, do I need to see a dealer? The insurance company said to get the window fixed so I could drive the car, then we would see if there was anything else to do. ADVICE IS NEEDED AND WELCOMED.....THANKS!!!!
  • chulo002chulo002 Member Posts: 1
    Hows it going??? Well I am helping my brother find a solution to his
    problem with the Millenia. Well the millenia is a Miller Cycle
    Supercharged engine. He got it for a good deal. The car was actually for the
    dealers GM but they forgot about it in the warehouse so it was sitting for
    about 2 years or more. My brother bought it in 2002 for about 22K, so
    he got a good deal. But now.....

It started about a year ago that the motor began to tremble. But by
    then the warranty was gone so he is trying to fix it. But he told me that
    added those oil/engine additives and the trembling began later that
    month or so. well hes done it before and there was no problem. he left for
    a while not running it because financial problems but would turn it on
    so the battery would not die.

But now if he leaves the motor running for a while the trembling stops.
    He then changed the oil and filter again and the trembling stopped but
    its back again. He recently changed the spark plugs and thought it was
    that because they were out...but he turned it on and still trembled??

MY question is does anyone have any advice??????? We would appreciate
    it. Thanks
  • ckv2002ckv2002 Member Posts: 1
    I just got an oil change 2 days ago and just today the malfuction indicator light came on. I have standard v6 motor w 59000 miles. I owned this car less than two months. The car has gas and the gas cap is on tightly. The manual says that I have electrical engine system problem. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone no whats causing it or how to fix it? The car runs fine! How many miles per gallon should this car get seems like I'm getting about 15-18 mpg.
  • mazdafreakmazdafreak Member Posts: 27
    Hi guys, It's been a while since i last posted here, my MillyS '00 with 82,000 km (51,000 mi.) No major
    issues with it apart from installing a new supercharger! Actually it's a rebuilt done by PSE.
    It is actually better than the original IHI, what i mean is that its not as "sluggish". I was able to notice the difference.
    However, it is a fact that it doesn't like hot & humid air. All in all it is a great car and very good performer on highway driving,
    just came back from a 1600km (1000 mi.) trip and was able to achieve 8.3 L/100km or 33 mi./gal ( US converted to 29 mi/gal),
    Although i must admit that these numbers drop by half on city driving!
    I wonder why? Technically from what i read in different forums, i should be doing between 19/21 mi/gal.
    Tire pressure is CRUCIAL so i check it every week.
    Any thoughts?

Tony