Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• coderedcodered Member Posts: 43
    i am looking at a 99 Millenia....timing belt should be done when????are they overall good cars???? thanks :shades:
  • cbdesiletscbdesilets Member Posts: 7
    Timing Belt probably should be changed every 60-75K. The owners manual says 100K I believe. Millenia's are great cars, but steer clea of the S model as it does have more problens apparently.
  • wrd88wrd88 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem with the check engine light, replaced 02 sensors, the works. I did find however, if you disconnect the battery and then reconnect it the light should go off upon startup. In my Mellinia it usually takes a few days to a month for the light to come back on and then I do the battery thing again. It might not really fix the problem but it turns off that annoying "Check Engine" light at least for a while that is.
  • stayjiggstayjigg Member Posts: 1
    I just left the mazda shop for the second time and I'm spending alot of money to try and solve my problem. My TCS and TCS off lights came on at the same time and that makes my car buck at about 2500rpm.I just had solenoid valve and vac line installed with a tube in the vac line. on the way home lights came on and car started bucking. I turned the car off and back on while driving to reset the computer and it helps for a while, can anyone help me?
  • mgillmgill Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys ijust change my distributor on my 95 millenia because it sluggest and not advancing,change the distributor it runs much better,still when i try advancing it,it would not move engine would remain the same,idle speed would not change.has any one ever had that problem.
  • saffire277saffire277 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 and the trunk will not open with the key the front release or the inside emergency release (we have a coat hanger attached to it) Is there anyway to fix this myself?
  • bbrown4bbrown4 Member Posts: 2
    just got a 99 millenia. love the looks and every thing but the gas gage will not read. the manual reads that if the gage reads empty the check engine light will come on.all looks good under the car, does any one know if any relay on the back of the back seat in the trunk has any thing to do with this problem .there is 4 or 5 relays under the cover on the back seat. also the power mirrows will not work. had the light read at auto zone there was a control modual malfuntion only. thanks bill
  • grandcgrandc Member Posts: 1
    When I put the heat on, it starts smoking from he passenger side floor. No air comes out whatsoever. I cannot defrost my windows either. Anyone know how much this will cost to fix and what is wrong with it? A/C blows warm air. It just started a month ago with the heat, and the A/C broke before summer. Thanks for all your help.
  • atlantamazdamaatlantamazdama Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Millenia 2.5 L, and need to replace the Idler
    Bearing Pulley located external to the engine, Not the timing belt pulley, It is the serpintine belt adjusting pulley. I need advise on removing it for replacement.
    Can I just romve the lock nut and lift it off or do I have to remove the adjusting screw to romove it ?

atlantaMazdaman
  • shubedo44shubedo44 Member Posts: 6
    I am on my second CRACKED wheel.....and thinking I am going on my third. I have been having problems with my air depleting from my tires since Jan 06 due to corrosion/rusting on my wheels. NTB has been very good to me and taking off the tire and sanding down the corrosion of the wheels....at least 7 times...I contacted my Mazda dealership as well as Mazda and ask about the cracked wheels....they said due to it being a 2000 w/62000 miles on it..there is nothing they can do!!!! And they have no records of any other cracked wheels....they also stated it was due to hitting a pot hole....I told them I might be on my third....then they said to call them back if I do...

I already replaced ALL tires 3 times/ all rotors twice with all brakes twice and now 2 cracked wheels....along with 2 sensors

I see a tech bulletin #020001R....what does this mean to me and how do I find out if these wheels have any warrant to a recall?

If anyone can help.....
    Thanks
    Shubedo
    does any one has a vaccum diagram for the 2.5 millie engine
    I replyed to a posting and thought I would try a "new" posting.

My tires have been going low for quite some time.....NTB always took care of me and sanded down the corrosion on my chrome wheel...while doing this they found my first cracked wheel Sept 06....I replaced the wheel....in Oct 06...while on vacation...I came home to a completely flat tire....again NTB looked at my rims and once again sanded down the corrosion....which is was only 1 month prior..and found another cracked wheel......I called the dealership as well as Mazda...no luck at this point..

Any suggestion out there?
    Thanks
  • willopadwillopad Member Posts: 4
    I think that you are out of luck, my friend, when it comes to asking Mazda to give you any hope of replacing your wheels. I talked to them about their bogus 17 inch chromes with their persistent leaking of air. Got nowhere. I believe that the only way that you are going to solve the problem is to have your friendly neighborhood tire dealer dismount, apply a glue/sealant to the bead of your tires and remount them.
    Mazda won't replace cracked wheels unless you can convince the government to issue a recall on them. Fat chance of that, eh?
    How long ago did you talk to Mazda? Seems weird to me, that if these 17 inch chrome wheels are having such a problem...then why aren't they doing something about it??? I know what the answer is.....all about money....

I have had my tires dismounted and sanded down.....I don't remember them ever putting a glue or sealant on them...I might have to check with them...because my tires are going low again and they just did it 3 weeks ago!!!

Thanks for your input
  • jariacjariac Member Posts: 4
    I've been having the same problem with a 2003. Within one week of driving it out of the showroom, I hit a pothole and blew out a tire. That also bent the wheel (17" chrome alloy). Since then, all of my tires have constantly been running low. I believe that the constant slow leaks cause the low tires to be more likely to get damaged from potholes which in turn causes the slow leaks to worsen. I had to replave all four tires after only 35,000 miles and that cost me over $700. Just got a new tire last week and it is clearly leaking around the rim. The "chrome" is flaking off all around all four wheels and one tire dealer has sugested that this flaking is the problem.

What do we do to get a recall on these crappy wheels?
    I've been having a most annoying problem with a 2003 Millenia. Within one week of driving it out of the showroom, I hit a pothole and blew out a tire. That also bent the wheel (17" chrome alloy). Since then, all of my tires have constantly been running low. I constantly put air in but within a short time, the tires are low again and even the smallest potholes cause a bone jarring jolt. I believe that the constant slow leaks cause the low tires to be more likely to get damaged from potholes which in turn causes the slow leaks to worsen. I had to replace all four tires after only 35,000 miles and that cost me over $700. Just got a new tire last week and it is clearly leaking around the rim. The "chrome" is flaking off all around all four wheels and one tire dealer has sugested that this flaking is the problem.

What do we do to get a recall on these crappy wheels?
  • mazdamilleniamazdamillenia Member Posts: 2
    What's the MPG on 2001/2002 Millenia 2.5 V6? :lemon:
    You lucked out....I replaced all 4 tires @ 16000 again around 38000 and again around 55000.......now as you know having problems with air leaking and 2 cracked wheels....I am thinking about just replacing all the wheels with ones that are not CHROME!!!!!! These ones are driving me crazy.....
  • sellstar1sellstar1 Member Posts: 19
    Consistently get 27-28mpg on highway on my 2002 with 115K miles on it. Seems like the car is always packed, too, with my wife and six year old!
  • cbdesiletscbdesilets Member Posts: 7
    My 95 Millenia L has 175k and gets 28mpg combined. I'd say I'm 75% Highway, 25% city. Awesome for a V6!
  • 95neonsport95neonsport Member Posts: 7
    My local Mazda dealer found a fuel leak in the fuel line from the tank where it snakes behind the engine up to the injection system. It had a 'bad' flexible connector and gasket. Replacing this component solved the gas fume problem. They couldn't explain why the fuel vapor release problem that entered the cabin and surrounded the car didn't happen all the time. It typically only occurred after driving for a few miles after a cold start and then stopping. Didn't seem to be a function of how full the gas tank was either. I happy, but $350 poorer.
    So what do we do about it? I already spent big bucks on new tires and I'm wasting huge amounts of time going back to the tire dealer (they've been very accommodating but that has to wear thin soon). Am I just supposed to roll over and pay another $1,500 for new wheels?
  • ausmarkausmark Member Posts: 1
    I have same prob with australian model (eunos 800). I have been searching but noone seems to have posted a fix. And member sooner3 has withheld his email. Climate control just pumps out hot air regardless of A/C on off. Poss jamed heater coil water flow tap?????
    If you decide to change your wheels...don't use Mazda @ 750 a piece.....when I had to replace the one that was cracked...I find one for 350...now I am having a problem finding another one to replace the second cracked wheel....they have some refinished one...but they take a while to get in.....NTB told me just to change all wheels with ones that don't cost too much...I haven't gone there yet....thinking about just selling the car!!! Any offers ;)
  • slingshot80slingshot80 Member Posts: 55
    Reached this milestone last week after 4 years and three months. Had to buy new wheels at $150 a piece which were not chrome. 3 of them were cracked. Very few problems except for the tires. Average 25 mpg. :D
  • mommapeamommapea Member Posts: 1
    We have a 17" wheel on our 2000 Millenia that's bent. I'm assuming it's from hitting a pothole, but has been recommended that it get replaced. I certainly don't want to spend the money for a brand new one. Other than Ebay, does anyone have any other good possibilities? How much should we expect to spend on a used wheel?
    has any one ever change out a millenia from automatic to stickshift using a 626 gearbox or probe a ford gear box.can you used the 626 computer or aftermarket one.
    I went with Blackburn Wheel and Hubs in Ohio.....1-800-981-8321.....I bought one for 350.00...still a little pricey but better then 750.00 from Mazda. I am not sure if they would have anymore...because I called them in Nov/Dec time frame...because I needed another one and they did not have one......give them a call though.....
  • wrd88wrd88 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem. Check to see if the switch in the glove box is turned off, which would lock the trunk even after you push the side door button. That did the trick for me.
  • meanmechmeanmech Member Posts: 1
    THIS is what my car is doing. My 2000 Milley will lock/unlock the doors at random. It does it so frequently that it will drain the battery. Since I do not own a remote for this car, is there anyway to bypass/defeat the power lock feature of this car? Has anyone ever fixed this type of problem? What was the solution?
  • 2002mazda2002mazda Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Millenia S with 93k miles. This car has been great and I really enjoy driving it. Recently however it started blowing a significant amount of smoke and burning oil. The smoke is especially noticeable on start-up. I brought it into Mazda to have it checked and they advised me that the supercharger needs to be replaced. I also need to change the timing belt and the total cost for Mazda to perform this work is over $5k.
    I would hope to get another 75k - 100k out out this car however am concerned about this being the begining of ongoing costly repairs. Does anyone have experience with a similar problem and have there been problems beyond the supercharger?
  • mazdamilleniamazdamillenia Member Posts: 2
    Did you see any diference on power?
  • 2002mazda2002mazda Member Posts: 2
    No. Other than the smoke and having to add oil there has been no noticable performance differnce.
  • cliffordransomcliffordransom Member Posts: 6
    This is a very good question and I would like to know peoples impression of the reliability of the Supercharger.

I have a 2000 S and had the supercharger go out at about 60000 miles. It was paid for with an extended warrantee I had bought when I got the car used at 25000. I don't usually get extended warrantees but I did this time for some reason and I'm glad I did.

the Supercharger was about $4,000 to replace including labor.

Now, is it going to go out in another 60000 or do they typically last much longer?

Maybe I should keep it another 50000 and get rid of it or take a chance and keep it.

tough decision.
    I keep procrastinating but I'm going to try going to the extended warranty I paid for. The dealer wouldn't do anything for me. I doubt they'll do anything and they'll try to say it's my fault but I'll try to remember to post whatever result I do get.
  • oastleroastler Member Posts: 4
    I am the original owner of a 1995 Millenia S, bought in Nov of 1995. It has been a good car with the exception of one time when it conked out on me by blowing out the radiator with 95k on it. For several years the supercharger has supposedly been leaking oil into the engine where it has been burned up, a little at first but now at 155K it is starting to worry me as I put maybe 2 quarts in every 2 or 3 fillups. I took it into the shop that I have used before, it seems okay, and they tell me that the valve covers are leaking badly. I haven't seen much oil on my garage floor at all though. I wonder if the supercharger's condition is related to it. Do I spend the $1500 to fix the valve covers? Do I get a used supercharger to get me another 50k if its cheap? Kind of a tough question....
    I like the car though so I figure if it will buy me another 2 years or so it might be worth it...

On another note, can anyone confirm if the timing belt goes out it will not screw up the engine? It has been about 60k since my last replacement.

Also, can anyone point me to a good Atlanta Mazda shop? Any help is appreciated.

Tom

Tom
  • rc21839rc21839 Member Posts: 3
    First let me preface this post by saying, I know nothing about cars. I just purchased a 2002 Mazda Millenia from a reputable used car dealer (if there's still such a thing) and want to get it completely checked out to make sure its not a lemon. My question is..what exactly do I say when I take it to the mechanic? Do i explain to him that I just purchased this car and want to check it out? Additionally, how much should this cost me?
  • silversilver Member Posts: 10
    I have had wheel problems also, they have had to grind down the chrome on the wheels that keeps flaking off and tires don't seat well and the bead breaks. I have lost a couple of tires because of this, have just been real careful checking the pressure, have had to add quite a bit, a real headache for sure. Seems that Mazda won't do anything about it as I have complained to them about it also.,
  • silversilver Member Posts: 10
    My 2001 Millenia S had the Lysholm Compressor go out at 32,000 miles under warranty, this another area that they should do something about, yes it would have been over $4000 to replace it. I figured that it may run for quite a while with a new one but have been worried that it may happen again, I wonder how many this has happened too. I called them about it once and they said nationally that it was not a problem.
  • lthomas110lthomas110 Member Posts: 4
    you have a little black box that should be under the seat whick controls the lock system. they sometime go bad and malfunction that way. You have a few options...go to the dealer and buy the control box take it somewhere and have them replace it or go to the dealer.
    i have a 99 Mellina and I bought the base model for a reason....Their are three motors for this car the miller cycle, super charger and base. I bought base and MADE SURE the engine was built in Japan and not US. The miller cycle has a issue with the oil compression system which blows out. it cost $5000 just to fix that...so i stayed away. The supercharger is nice but it goes out around 35 to 55K miles. So think about it for the cost of a charger you can buy a base engine and put it in if the charger goes up for about $1000. So have fun and save a thousand and if the charger goes up again replace the engine with a base engine but make sure the serial number starts with a J. Keep in mind that the base engine is not as powerful but it wont break on you
    Dude...$1500 to replace valve cover gasket's. Who are you taking your car too...rip off amaerica? I replace mine and I bought the gaskets from the dealer for $40.00 it took me two hour to replace them. If i took it to a shop they wanted to charge me $200.00. If you pay $1500 for that you are seriously getting ripped. You can keep the car if nothing is wrong with the charger. But please dont pay that much for such a small job...you may want to really reconsider who is working on your car. I have a 99 with 172,000 it's purring like a kitten. change your oil to fully synthetic and never go back to regular oil. and get your valve covers changed..it can cause other issues and if you have to add 2 quarts every twoo or three fillups..you are having bigger issues than gaskets
    find a shop that specializes in repairing bent rims. it should cost no more than $150
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    What are you talking about?

There were only two engines in the Millenia: a 2.3L Miller Cycle engine with a Lysolm compressor and a 2.5L normally aspirated engine. Both engines in the Millenia were only produced in Japan.

You cannot simply swap engines if you have one and would like the other.
  • tommyquatommyqua Member Posts: 10
    I have the same problem in the morning too, mine is a 99' S
    with 109K and loving it. I haven't notice any degrade in engine performace - the spped of this car just amazing!
    how much does it cost to fix the supercharge without timing belt?
  • tommyquatommyqua Member Posts: 10
    take it to your local Firestone and tell them you want a safety check on the car. they charge $21 yes $21 out the door. you going to love this car especially a S model.
    they are very hard to come by these day.
  • rc21839rc21839 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the recommendation..went to the firestone, sure enough 19.99 for the inspection. All's good with the car, he just recommended new wipers and a fuel system cleaner...
  • koolhammerkoolhammer Member Posts: 1
    I once had this problem and replaced all the T's under the supercharger and the TCS PROBLEM WENT AWAY.
    Please if you had another fix to this let me know for the future.
    Koolhammer
  • oastleroastler Member Posts: 4
    The shop said something about how you had to take the
    Supercharger off and it would be like a bunch of hours
    labor to fix the valve cover gaskets, I dunno. I have
    thought now that maybe if you do have to take the supercharger off to fix them, why not replace the
    supercharger too? I might be able to get a good deal
    on a used one. Another question I have though, when
    you people say your supercharger has "gone out" do
    you mean it starts blowing oil into the engine (my
    problem I think) or it just stops running totally?
    Does the car run if it stops running?

Still looking for Atlanta Mazda shop also....

Tom
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I believe you do have to move quite a few items to get the valve covers off. I think the SC stays in place but the plenum is removed. Book rate is around 2.5 hours.