Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• ddrake30ddrake30 Member Posts: 18
    Or you can try a citrate-based product called "Goo Gone".
  • billkingiibillkingii Member Posts: 1
    Two quick questions. I purchased a Millenia 2000 and right out of the chute it pulled to the left. Dealer realigned the front end, but the problem is still noticeable on the highway. Thought anyone?

Should I consider an extended warranty. Dealer has a program through Fireman's Fund. Runs in the $1,100 to $1,200 range for 5 years/100,000 miles. Haven't asked if this covers the expensive 60,000 supercharger mandatory service mentioned here.

Any input would be appreciated.
  • natevnatev Member Posts: 10
    I am interested in researching what can be done to safely "tweak" out the Miller Cycle Engine, while keeping the factory warranty intact. Possible air filters, exhaust, engine chips???, anything that will squeeze a little more power without too much mpg sacrifice. Can anyone tell me where to look or has anyone attempted anything like this????
  • rbrubakerrbrubaker Member Posts: 54
    Hi,

I had a pulling problem (to the right) with mine from day one. The problem was with the tires. Try cross rotating the front tires, and check if it still pulls to the left. If it does not, you have a tire problem, and then you need to find out which tire it is. If it continues to pull to the left, be persistant with the dealership and Mazda to try to fix your problem.

If it is a tire problem, they will probably send you to a tire store.

Good luck,
    Bob
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I have researched Millenia S performance in the past for some other posters in another site. Aside from the usual air filter and exhaust upgrades, I had no luck in finding any other performance tweaks for the Miller Cycle engine. There are plenty of upgrades for the 2.5L.

The only real way to improve the performance of the Millenia S is removing the terrible 4-spd automatic and replacing it with a 5-spd or 6-spd manual transaxle. Or, perhaps, by changing the gear ratios on the auto. Either way, it is not easy and I have not heard of anyone that has undergone this type of change.

There is no "chip" available for this engine either. What these "chips" do is remap the engine computer's fuel/air mapping (the fuel/air ratio for different rpm's) to maximize engine power using 91 or 92 octane gasoline. However, the Miller Cycle is already optimized to run on 91 or 92 octane (you are doing that, right?).
  • rzawarskirzawarski Member Posts: 47
    The only way to significantly increase performance on the Miller Cycle is to change the intake cam profile to close the intake valves about 10 degrees sooner.

Experimentation would cost in excess of $20,000 by a qualified expert.
    Problem is not enough units sold to benefit aftermarket people.
    Would anyone be kind enough to provide me with a correct stock # for the S aftermarket air filter or would I just ask at a shop....ps...is this even worth the trouble?? and thanks rzawarski and jstandefer for the info...ppreciate it!!
  • kngmke1kngmke1 Member Posts: 14
    K&N 33-2672 is for the "S" model. Seems to have a little better throttle response. If the car has low mileage, & you plan to keep it for at least 4 air filter changes, then the payback vs paper is achieved. The best price I found was at Discount Auto Parts for $39.99 + tax.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    Hi everyone I am a Regal GS owner but was seriously considering the Melenia S. It proved to be a little small for my needs but I still love the looks of the car. It is one of the best looking sedans out there. What kind of 0 to 60 times have you been able to get? Just curious.
    hey there dan...first of all if you're considering a new car you should know how to spell it...MILLENIA....(kidding).....anyways the 0-60 are mixed times depending upon how you engage the engine...the fastest means possible I'd have to say is to disengage the TCS and manually shift from (L) or 1st gear up into 2....times will probably average low to mid 7's...but who really cares about that...if all you want is speed go get used 911 Turbo....the S has all the power a street driver needs in a luxury-sport sedan....unless you want to drop $50k on a 540i, the Mil S kicks [non-permissible content removed].....especially on the highway (ie. 70-120mph will smoke most competitors and then some).....

and a previous note about the GTP or Pontiac whatever car this guy boasts about...Pontiac is JUNK.....cheap cheap JUNK.....I ve driven this so-called GTP and granted it has torque but the interior in most falls apart within a year and they are ugly as sin.....(just needed to share that as I hate American boats ahh I meant cars)....happy driving
    this question is aimed primarily at techies:
    I have the Millenium Edition with the chrome 17's, they are quite widely spaced and there is almost full view of the rotors and calipers.....now, would it be OK to paint the calipers with like,say Rustoleum high gloss and temperature paint with a small paintbrush..say red or black, whatever...but would there be any problems with this idea....my Autobhand installer, advised me that is what he was doing on his GS300....just a thopught...thanks for any advice
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    In a casual conversation, my dealer told me that Mazda will be replacing the Millenia next year with a newly designed sedan and under a new name for 2003, to be released late 2002. Millenia production will be superseded by the new sedan. Present Millenia design is frozen and will not be updated. Had any one heard a similar statement yet?
    I have not heard much about it, but I do know that the Miller Cycle engine will NOT pass 2003 emissions standards and there are no plans to produce the Miller Cycle beyond 2002. However, it sounds as if the dealer may be talking about the 626, which is slated for an entire redesign and a new name for 2003. Perhaps both vehicles will be replaced in the same year.

The Millenia, as nice as it is, really needs to be dropped in favor of a larger vehicle with a larger engine and perhaps rear wheel drive. The Millenia has never made much of an impact on the entry-level luxury market and I don't think it ever will. The entry-level (and extremely competent) Protege has more interior room! And at $31k, the Millenia S cannot compare to other vehicles in the price range on paper. On the road, it is quite a nice vehicle, but most people look at its feature content in the brochure and/or online and immediately delete it from their list. :-(
  • bscbluebscblue Member Posts: 103
    I'm not a Millenia owner myself but a good friend of mine just purchased a '97 Millenia today with 46,000 miles for $13.9. I think he got an excellent deal on it. He was going to buy one that didn't have nearly the same amount of feaures for 2 grand more. With cloth seats for God's sake! But that's a different story!

I though a pair of those faux HIDs they sell on Ebay might be a nice car warming gift but I'm not quite sure about them being safe for his car. I read about half of this forum and saw that someone bought them and they gave that look and seemed okay. He also stated that the driver's side didn't work after a time. I don't know what to do. Should I forgo the lights because they'll harm his car? Or are they safe gift that'll add a little pizzaz to his ride?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    Repeat after me: "RX-8".

Everything you ever wanted in a $30,000-plus Mazda, unusual engine included.
    at windowphobe6!!!!! ROTFL!!!

I just can't believe how true your statement is!!
  • lyons4lyons4 Member Posts: 21
    Good evening everyone.I'm in the market for a L model 2001 Millenia and I just need a little help.I'm looking for a gray (platinum) color with gray interior and mag rims. What do you suggest would be an acceptable offer? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    I don't know which Faux HID you're talking about, there's the $600/pair ones or $60/pair. The $600/pair is actually a real HID, but installation might be tricky; nice bright white bluish color.
    the $60 ones is just a higer wattage, brighter and whiter bulbs. Both shouldn't cause any problem with the headlight assembly. Either way it's a nice gift fr your friend.

lyons4, I saw an add here in Los Angeles for a 2001 Millenia Premium, with Bose and 4 season-pckg for $23K before tax and lic. Rebates is about $5000 to $6000 depending on dealers.

cheers
    No, Titan! LOL I did mean the $60 dollar value pair, like on Ebay. Although, I don't mean to say our friendship isn't worth a $600 pair; I just don't have that kind of money.

With the Millenia, would you have to buy just one pair or do you need two pair? I would also assume that on the '97 Millenia you have the reflection necessary to pull off a good little act. Right?
  • stragfstragf Member Posts: 15
    Hi All,

I just purchased a '98 Millenia S. I love the car, and in spite of only having had 14000 miles, I mady need new skins. It currently has the stock (I believe) Michelin 215/55-16's. What is anyones experience with tires? What has really impressed you? If I run with a new set of 4 skins (no pun intended!!), I want to ensure I'm making a good decision. Has anyone run with different tire or wheel sizes? Thanks for assistance.
    Grant in Alberta Canada
  • spridledogspridledog Member Posts: 63
    stragf - I have a 1996 Millenia S, which also came with those Michelins. My original set lasted about 25,000 miles. I now have 53,000 miles on the car, and am on my third set of those same tires. The last time I was ready to replace them, I tried to find something else, because those Michelins are really expensive! According to the Tire Rack, there are only three other manufacturers that make this relatively rare size, and they are Michelin, Yokohama, and Bridgestone. The Yokohama tire is less expensive, but it less of a performance tire, and would compromise the handling a bit. Whether you car about that enough to pay for more expensive tires, is up to you. The Bridgestone tire is about the same price as the Michelin, so I stuck with the Michelin. Apparently, Michelin actually worked with Mazda and designed this tire specifically for the Millenia. Very few other cars (if any) use this same size/speed rating. Thus, they are expensive. If ultimate handling is not critical for you, go with the Yoko's. They will last much longer - about 40-45,000 miles! Good luck...
  • stragfstragf Member Posts: 15
    Can I change from 215's to 225's? More selection in this size.
  • ddrake30ddrake30 Member Posts: 18
    My understanding is that 225 series tires fit just fine on the 16" factory rim. I have 225/45-17 tires on aftermarket rims on my car.
    I have read numerous posts that suggest using the Dunlop DS5000 235/45 R17....all have said this a "zero-fit" package for the 17's on a 2000 Mill S....so with that in mind I would assume it's OK also to use a 225/50 on a 16" wheel.....have you looked in to Dunlop cause those are the factory rims that now come with Millenia S's...oh yeah...forgot, I used to use 225/50 on 16's ( they were Goodyear Eagle 1's I believe)...but there are many more than that to choose from...
  • acabral1acabral1 Member Posts: 122
    I am using the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 (215/50/17) and they are phenomenal, a definate improvement over the factory installed SP Sport 4000's total price came out to $718.00 Consider them for your Mill-S; they're an excellent Ultra Performance All-Season tire and significantly cheaper than the other higher-end brands tire too!

Regards,
    The Mill-S is truly a 3000+ RPM performer; it's greatest attribute is that its supercharger is centrifugally based, which enables it to out perform many comparable vehicles with 10 to 25 more horse power while running at high RPMS.

A prime yet, controversial example of this is that, yesterday I raced a Mitsu 3000 GT "SL" from a standstill, (manual) and spanked the hell out of him. He was approximatley 4.5 car lengths behind me. My speedometer was reading 140mph; and my Mill-S was handling with ease! It is truly amazing to actually experience how well this vehicle can handle and accelerate with such ease at these suicidal speeds!

During my brief "NASCAR" episode there was a slight curve in the road, so all I did was hit the "Hold" button, and holy $hit, it was like my Millenia was running on rail road tracks! This was a completely phenomenal first and last time event!

Hey, guys/gals...... no hazardous driving lectures please! I know, I know..............

Regards,
  • eddie1337eddie1337 Member Posts: 8
    Hello everyone. I have been very attentive on this site since I have been considering buying a 2001 *ignore* P. Now the price I was quoted here in Virginia Beach is at about 24,500. Does that sound reasonable? I fell in love with that car the minute I walked on the lot. I was looking at a Maxima and ended up with the Millennia on my mind. The S-series I just a little too steep for my wallet right now. I would very much appreciate your input on this car. Thank You.
    Hi Eddie. You know, if you'd really like the S edition you could go with the 2000 model, which some feel looks better than the 2001 models. But if you must have a 2001, wait a little bit. They will be discounting them because a lot of 2002s are coming out now. You could even stalwart with the dealer.

You wouldn't believe the mark-up on cars; I promise you you could get out of there with an S at about that same price you're paying for your 2001 base. You have all the power. They want your money, not those cars. So, go in there and make it plain that you can go anywhere you want. You don't have to have a Millenia (even though that's a bald face lie). Good luck!
    just wonderin if you have any aftermarket parts on your S....thanx
  • imaginary24imaginary24 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking into buying 1998 milli s and seen a few in the range 14k - 16k dollars. with about 44,000 - 50,000 miles. What is a good target price for me to take to these dealers? Assuming the vehicle is clean. All advice helps... Also is there any truth that the Miller engine will be discontinued in the near future? Why?
    Unfortunatley not, due to the nil aftermarket availability. The only aftermarket equipment that I have is the Philips HID Conversion Kit.......

If my memory serves me right H&R has lowering springs for the Mil-S, but I don't like lowering cars without complementary Performance Shocks....

Weapon*R will fabricate a custom Cold Air Intake or Ram Air Intake for Millenia's but, the process and information they need to begin development is to time consuming to gather in my opinion.....

If you are located in the Cal. area, go to their facility and let them obtain all the information needed for development/design themselves.

Regards,
    Aftermarket performance mods for the Miller Cycle are far and few between. However, there are plenty of performance mods for the 2.5L. Plus, there are some brake and suspension mods for all Millenia's...

Check out the Millenia page at Corksport.com.

• mantagmantag Member Posts: 47
    I have to agree w/ you acabral1. I bought the Dunlop 5000's for for wifes car 93 acura legend coupe ls. they are great. 225-55-16. i stepped up from the crappy michelins 225-50-16. to harsh a ride. the 55 series smooths out the bumps. definately rec. them for price/value/all-season high perfromance.

not sure if i want to get them for my 95 mill s. may go with original continentalch95 conti-touring. really enjoyed those tires for value/price/all weather. not sure i want to spend the extra $ for the dunlops since i will keep car maybe one more year.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    Again, I saw some ad here in LA for 2001 Millenia Premium, they ranges from $23K to $24K. I personally would love to trade in my 2000 Millenia S for a 2001 Millenia S. It looks a lot more modern and sleek, not to say that my 2000 Mill is not sleek. I just love the improvement they made on those 2001.

cheers
  • emeraldcityemeraldcity Member Posts: 19
    HI,
    I own the Goodyear 265-40-20 inch rims on my 95 Millenia!!!! Only teasing. 225-55-16 with chrome. It's hot enough for me. I really want the 2001! It's time for a trade on my low resale value of a car. Millenias are hot but have worse residual value than most KIA's or "HYundais...." Check the Consumer Guides...more later.
    Agreed, but that is why late model used is the only way to go with this great car.
    I am searching for an exhaust system for a 2000 S....if anyone has had any experience finding these, I could really use some help....most companies don't make them for Millenia Ss only RX-7 and Miata....I would like a more tuned exhaust sound and also any HP gains.....is it possible to use a Cat-back system with the Miller engine???? Thanks for any help.....
  • gtspecgtspec Member Posts: 55
    Hi natev, I had installed a custom made "Apexi N1" exhaust on my 95S the second week I got the car (back in Oct. 1999). It's great, not too loud on the idle, but DEEP sound when RAV-up! As far as HP gain goes, I only notice the gain on the highway when the rpm is high, since Apexi N1 has a straight through design which is meant for any forced induction vehicles (like the Millenia S). The exact model is "Apexi N1 Universal" exhaust, and it costed me $180 plus custom piping installation $70, so total is only $250 which is not bad for a "Made in Japan" exhaust. The installation work is just one easy straight pipe connecting the cat (or muffler, I'm not sure what's the THING that's before the end exhaust) and the Apexi N1. Hope this will help you!

***Does any one know if it's normal for the "CHECK ENGINE" light to come ON for 5~6 days and then goes Off for another 4~5 days, then comes back again...etc. Was it design to go On for a few days and went Off by itself? By the way my check engine light code is P0170 & 173 - Fuel trim malfunction Bank 1 & 2 (NO idea what that meant). Any help is appreciated!!!***
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, that is an unattributed page that discusses PIAA "Superwhites" - the page appears to have links to discussions on HIDs as well as other light types, but none of the links work.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Yes, I should have said "Faux" HID lighting, but I did find the article interesting.
  • ae86ae86 Member Posts: 6
    hi
    have anyone seen a body kit for millenia s??
    i saw one in the may 2001 issue of SCC magazine...
    the ad is located on the side of the miata vs mr-s article. i had e-mailed the company about info about 3 weeks ago, however, there's no response..thx
  • luv94rx7luv94rx7 Member Posts: 11
    If I turn off TCS(Traction Control System) will this improve my MPG??? It seems to improve take off performance on dry roads.

Ken
  • gtspecgtspec Member Posts: 55
    Hi ae86, the body kit is by "SARONA DESIGN", and it'll cost you $1,390 (4 pieces). This store is near my house in Queens, New York. I went to the store and looked at the kit installed on a Millenia, WOW! It looks PHAT!!! However, I think the price is kindda HIGH, a normal 4 piece body kit cost around $900. I think the reason is because not many people buy them, so the price needs to be higher in order to compensate the developement cost of the kit. Hope this helps you!

Andy
    The TCS (Traction Control System) is automatically engaged when front wheel spin is detected. It reduces torque to the front wheels by retarding engine timing and reducing fuel flow to bring the torque down. It is a transparent action and most drivers will not notice it happening.

If your take-off performance is improving on dry roads with TCS turned off, then you are spinning the front tires slightly. With TCS turned off, the engine computer is not reducing torque to counteract wheel spin, thus the better take-off performance. If anything, turning TCS off will decrease your gas mileage, but it would hardly be noticable. I have always found that the best way to "take-off" in a Millenia (particularly the S) is to gradually apply throttle, keeping wheelspin to a bare minimum and not activating the TCS, while giving you great performance once you are moving.
    ?. I have a 2000 ME with 5K on it. I notice a strong convertor smell when parking in the garage at night. It does dissipate as it cools off. Is there a break in period associated with that or is it time to visit the dealer?
  • viking13viking13 Member Posts: 4
    I am very close to buying a 2001 Millenia P - non-supercharged. Three dealers have given me different stories on the grade of gas required - everything from "using regular grade is OK" and will not void a warranty to "you must use premium" for the car to run properly. What's the real story. With the current incentives offered by Mazda, this could be a great buy ($23K) but I don't want to be filling up with $2.00+ a gallon premium gas. What's the real story on the grade of fuel to use in a "P" Millenia??
    The 2000 manual says you can use 87 octane.
  • mantagmantag Member Posts: 47
    i hate to run this prem gas thing into the ground, but if the 2000 manual says you can use 87 regular, and the engines have not changed since 95, can you use 87 for all model years? i am assuming this is ok for the non-S version