Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• bscbluebscblue Posts: 103
    Uh, Spridle. Check that. The 2002 Mazda Millenias all come with the old S versions engine.
  • spridledogspridledog Posts: 63
    I didn't realize you were talking about 2002 models! I didn't even think those were available yet. I was referring to the 2001 cars. I stand corrected, and will now insert my foot firmly into my mouth....THERE! I'm glad that I'm typing this, because I can't speak too clearly right now! Yuck..this tastes terrible! Happy 4th to all...
  • stbissstbiss Posts: 10
    There seems to be alot of criticism of the 2.5L base engine in the Millenia... I previously had a 94 Probe GT w/same engine and found out one important aspect of this engine...the power is at higher rpm's...very little grunt on the low end. The 2.5L is known for its robust design and longevity...its only weak spots were valve cover gaskets and O2 sensors in the 94 and 95 versions.

I now have a 2000 Millenia w/2.5L and I am extremely happy with it...it will not win any drag races, but it can get you where you want to go, and in style to boot.

I looked at Accord v6's and camry v6's, and chose the Millenia for its superior price ($19,900 after $5600 dollar reduction) and fit and finish over the other two.
    That's okat, Spridle. At least you can admit it. I myself would find it hard to even type anywhere I was wrong. Although, everyone would know it. LOL

I personally don't think the 2.5 engine is a slouch. I just can't understand what people are griping about. if you want out and out speed, you buy a Porsche or Viper or what-have-you. If you want to get something to haul friends and family in in style, luxury, and relatively quickly, you get almost anything else.
  • daysailerdaysailer Posts: 711
    bscblue:
    Yes, the car that I drove was a 2001 with the 2.5L, 170hp engine and I stand by my conclusion that it does not offer performance comparable to any number of vehicles in its price range, even with the price reduction. It IS a comfortable, well appointed car but so is the Accord and if I can have that AND a better engine then the choice is obvious.

As for transmissions, the Acura "sportshift" is not a "fake manual transmission" but rather an automatic transmission that is more versatile and allows the driver to PARTIALLY compensate for SOME of the disadvantages of ALL automatic transmissions. "Sportshift" aside, the fact that the Acura transmission is a 5 speed rather than 4 as in the Millenia is sufficient to brand it as superior.
  • kngmke1kngmke1 Posts: 14
    Well that is interesting, any special tools required to change the rear plugs? What if anything does need to be removed? The information, I reported came directly from a dealer's shop foreman. I will file a complaint with them about this misinformation. Thanks for clearing it up.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    Where have you heard that all 2002 Millenia's will be powered by the 2.3L Miller-Cycle engine? The would be an interesting move for Mazda considering that engine only powers less than 20% of Millenia's sold and already exceeds consumer demand.

I don't where you are, but here in San Diego, you can easily buy a Millenia S for less than an Accord EX-V6. Honda dealers here are demanding $2000 over MSRP for the EX-V6 and call you stupid for even thinking about looking at another vehicle! I was looking at them and was totally turned off when they told me I would have to pay them money to tow my RX-7 off their lot and I should get my @#% in the office to sign the contract! This is the general treatment of most of the Honda dealerships here... and I'm sorry, but the RX-7 will blow the doors off any Honda ever built!

Anyways, even without the $2k mark-up on the Accord EX-V6, you can pick up a Millenia S for about the same price ($4k rebate plus at least $1,500 additional reduction). The Millenia S comes with a lot more than the Accord and offers similar performance around town and superior performance on the freeway. However, to each their own. Buy the car you feel is best for you. BTW, why didn't you like the 626? You can pick one up fully loaded for under $23k.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Edmunds.com includes the Millenia S in its just published Entry Level Luxury Sport Sedans Comparison Test. Check it out by following the link in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page.

(Small note - you might not like the last-place results, but no need to shoot the messenger, okay? :-))

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    It is my experience that Edmunds does not like anything that wears the Mazda badge. Car and Driver rated the same sedans last year and rated the Millenia S in fourth place. That magazine got almost identical performance figures with the Millenia S rating last or second to last in all acceleration figures. However, they rated it 4th place because of the overall balance of the vehicle. That was before the significant redesign.

The Protege ES has been rated by many, many magazines and other car-related sources as being number one in its class. However, Edmunds rated it fifth place in its comparison test. The funny thing is that the Protege ES Edmunds used in their comparison test was fully-loaded and equipped with an automatic while most of the competitors were equipped with manual transmissions and very few options. Then they go and blast the Protege for it's higher price and mediocre performance against the manual transmission cars.
    Uh, I have found since tracking all car news from middle childhood until now that magazines like "Motor Trend" and Edmunds.com are a bit jaded about cars for some reason. They have been in seat-of-the-pants rides like 911 Carrera4s and Vipers and then wonder why a Millenia won't handle like that or speed out to 60 in under 5 seconds.

Take everything they say with a grain of salt. I have found that people who have certain cars, no matter if these car critics like them or not, love'em. They could care less that anyone else hates them. I find that a wonderful thing. That just shows that fat, bald guys with wide bodies who claim that they don't get enough lateral support in a Miata aren't given too much creedance. If I was a 40 year-old fat guy, I would hate getting ina Miata too!

I have driven my friend's Millenia and I liked it a lot; it doesn't compare to my gorgeous J30t but what does? Every other friend who's seen it of late likes it and it even got them thinking they should get one too. But who wants to be a copycat?

This may sound ridiculous but I would sooner have a Millenia than a new 911 any day. The Porsche redesign of their cars has given all their cars an ugly face. Now a late model 911 and a Millenia . . . I dunno . . . It would be hard to choose . . .
  • acabral1acabral1 Posts: 122
    Sup folks,. It's been a long time since I have visited this forum; I see that a lot of people still have mixed-emotions regarding the Millenia.

Well anyhow I have a '00 Mill_S and have had a wonderful ownership experience since day one; not one problem to date! The Mill_S,s performance capabilities are phenomenal in comparison to its competing models, it also exceeds in this arena as well.

The only performance oriented improvement that I am trying to make at this moment is reducing the S,s 0-60 time; it's "deficiency" in this respect is the simple result of the Miller Cycle being a centrifugal supercharger; but even though, I still managed to easily spank every light-weight import that invited me to a "stop-light" duo.

Well, enough about that; let me keep everyone abreast of the performance upgrade progress that has materialized on my end thus far:

Currently, I have teamed up with a VA/MD based auto-performance and tuning group that is assisting me in fabricating/tuning a cold-air intake. The prototype that was fabricated was causing the factory air-meter to go hay-wire, at times not allowing my Millenia's engine to start; and when it did work, there was a severe loss of power. Once the CAI is perfected, it will be complimented by a custom heat-shield as well.

Phase 2 will be to install a completley revamped and tuned exhaust system...........

Phase 3 will be to locate a set of compatible aftermarket H/P shocks/struts.......... to compliment my lowering springs

I order a aero-kit for my Millenia a few days ago, it should be arriving sometime soon. Once I get it painted and installed I will try to post some pics on this forum.

With the country's economy performing so poorly right now; chances are all of my performance goals may not be completley finalized until mid to late fall...........!

Regards,
  • acabral1acabral1 Posts: 122
    BSCBLUE, were might I ask did you obtain information regarding all '02 Millenia's being equipped with the 2.3L S/C as a standard engine?

According to a dealer "friend" of mine, the 626's revamp will utilize the 2.3L S/C in thier top-of-the-line model; and the Millenia will be phased out permanently after '02.

Here's my personal opinion, the sales staff at mazda are as in much of the dark as we are! If you know otherwise and can furnish evidence please share; this would be very informative.

Regards,
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    ... I think that'll happen in Canada, not in the US - but I'm not 100% sure. Wait and see, September is not that far off.

BMW, I just got 2001 Millenia I for USD26.5K (came with CD changer and all season pkg). I love the car - I LIKED it better than the TL-S that I test drove, better than a loaded Maxima... I think it is great bang for the buck. Discounts on Millenias (e.g. "True Market Value") is something Edmunds should take into consideration when evaluating cars, and not compare them based on MSRP, which is kind of an abstract concept in today's market.
    Ok... I've been keeping my mouth shut, but now the rumors are really getting out-of-hand.

The Millenia will be phased out completely by the 2003 model year. The reasons for this are three:

1) Mazda's new flagship will be the 2003 RX-8. The RX-8 will be a "four door sports car" powered by Mazda's legendary rotary engine with an output of 250hp naturally aspirated and the possibility of a super-performance turbo model. The RX-8 will have a "front mid-engine" powering the rear wheels and offer more room. Goals for Mazda were 0-60mph times between 5 and 6 seconds and the best handling of any Mazda ever built. I don't know if those goals have changed...

2) The Miller-Cycle engine CANNOT pass 2003 emissions. The Miller-Cycle is extremely dirty on cold start-up and revamping the engine to pass would be entirely too expensive and the market has shown no demand.

3) Millenia sales would make a small-volume manufacturer such as Lamborghini pack-up and leave the business (ok, that's an exaggeration, but any other company would have discontinued the car years ago).

The new upcoming mid-size sedan, which may or may not wear the 626 nameplate, will be powered by a 2.3L DOHC 4cyl, or a 3.0L DOHC V6 with sequential valve timing (SVT) that will easily outpower the Miller-Cycle and get better fuel mileage. This new sedan will take the place of the 626 in the line-up. This is another reason the Millenia will go away... the new sedan will be larger than the Millenia and offer better performance and more luxury (the Millenia offers the LEAST amount of interior space of any current Mazda sedan, including the Protege).

I have not heard that all 2002 Millenia's will be powered by the Miller-Cycle. Where have you heard/read that? It would be a terrible decision on Mazda's part. The Miller-Cycle engine is extremely expensive to build and the S model only accounts for a small fraction of Millenia sales. The sooner Mazda can move the Millenia off the market, the better it will be for Mazda. I love the Millenia, but this is the best financial move for Mazda. The Millenia was a great car in 1995, but where the competition has revamped their cars not once, but twice, Mazda has only done small revisions here and there. IMO, the 929 would have been the better choice to keep around...
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    Well, I've read this at http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/01millenia.htm

They say "New features for 2001: Until this year, the Miller Cycle engine was available only on the top-of-the-line 'S' model, but it is now standard on all Millenias. The base 170 horsepower 2.5 litre V6 engine has been discontinued. "

Again, that's in Canada.

They also say "This engine has been rated more than once as one of Ward's Auto Reports '10 Best Engines', a prestigious award given annually by a U.S. trade publication". Not bad.

When it comes to interior space - I am 6'3 and do fit comfortably in the Millenia, do not fit in 626 (center console keeps my right leg at very odd angle). In this case I guess size does not matter :-) sure I have less room around me than in my (already sold) 1995 Passat GLX, but I bought a Chevy Venture van for the wife and kids, and Millenia for myself!

I test drove Acura TL (including S), VW Passat (maintenance is $$$$$$$ after 2 yrs), Infiniti J30, Maxima, ... etc. - and for me only the Lexus GS300 was better than Millenia, but also out of my price range ($40K+). Of course BMWs are better - if money (to buy AND maintain in the long run) is no object.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying my little :-) new toy...

tomekk

I checked out Mazda's Canadian site. It seems they have dropped all models of the Millenia except the "S". I guess the 2.3L Miller-Cycle is the only available engine in Canada. In the US, we still get a choice of the 2.5L DOHC V6 or the Miller-Cycle.
    I don't remember where I heard it but it seems to be happening regardless. Maybe I came up with it . . .

Phasing out the Millenia will put the car in the Cult Car status with my J30. Hopefully, it will give as much reliability and head-turning as my J has.
  • abowen568abowen568 Posts: 3
    Hi everybody. I purchased a 1998 Millenia w/26000 miles last week and promptly left on vacation (without the Millenia). After reading some of the comments in this bulletin board I felt very comfortable going ahead with the purchase. I should have bought this car two years ago instead of opting for a new Protege.

Anyway, I have a question. I'm thinking my Millenia had its windshield replaced. There's a blue tinted stripe at the very top of the windshield. Is this standard? Thanks.

Alan in NJ
  • yhippayhippa Posts: 10
    Hello all,

I am a college grad looking for a new car. I have been studying a wide variety of cars, anything from 2-door sport coupes to 4-door luxury sedans. I almost settled for an Accord EX when I noticed an ad in the paper advertising a base Milennia for $23,199. With the new grad $400 rebate, that puts it under $23k, which made me think that this might be worth looking at. I drove my dad's 95 Milennia for a while and I enjoyed the ride and acceleration, as well as the auto-tilt steering wheel. Alas, I have never purchased a car before and would love some advice on the 2001 Milennias. I've been hearing about a lot of problems, most stemming from the 95 production run. How do the newer ones hold up? Thanks for all your help.

Richard in VA
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Posts: 215
    abowen568, my 2000 Millenia S does have that blue tinted stripe at the very top of the windshield, so the windshiled on that Millenia might be the original one.

Richard, most of the problems people have are with the 95 Millenia, especially the S model, not the base model with the 2.5V6. After that first year of productions, it seems like Mazda fix all the bugs on the car and I don't see many compaint/problems with the '96 and up Millenia. I personally would love to swap my black on grey 2000 Millenia S with a 2001 Millenia. Actually we almost bought a 2001 Millenia Premium last month to replace my wife's '95 beemer. We ended up getting a 2002 Protege5 for $20500 beacuse it's cheaper; what a fun car to drive. If I'm comparing a Millenia to an Accord, here's my take:
    -Millenia is a class above the Accord (more in the Acura TL class)
    -Millenia looks classier and sportier
    -Cool looking interior, especially with the new instrumentation.
    -More standard features for your money
    -Easier to find in Malls parking lot, where you probably see Accords left and right

cheers