Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    Incentives change, and when I bought, there were two of them in effect on '01 Millenias. One was a $4000 factory to dealer incentive. The other a $1500 customer cash back. Both were applied to my purchase, as well as the dealer making additional concessions.

I found information on rebates and incentives online, but can't remember all the locations.
    You need to enter your zip code in them to get information that applies to you. Good luck with that, as it takes a fair amount of searching.

Also, you can't get both the rebates, and zero interest, so you will have to know which way you want to go. My dealer was honest upfront, and I did not have to pry information out of him. Other dealers had acted like I was trying to steal from them, or cheat them by demanding all the incentives.

My wife and I took a two week vacation with our new "P", and took our 37 pound dog with us. She (the dog) got all the back seat, except for about 10 items of clothing on clotheshangers on a bar across the back seat. They took about 1 1/2 feet of the right side of the seat. The trunk accomodated all our needs for the trip, but maybe you have kids or just need to take more with you. All in all, it carried all we had previously carried in a '95 Olds 88, which has about 2 additional cubic feet. I just had to arrange it slightly differently. The trunk is very well shaped, and easy to pack. Just look out for the trunk lid hinges, as they lower into the trunk. The Olds hinges do the same thing, so I was used to that. Of course it depends on your luggage as compared to ours. I really have no idea how much luggage your airport visitors bring, so you are on your own there.

It is a wonderful car, but if you need a UHaul truck, it certainly won't work for you.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    I know dealerships is SoCal area are offering $6000 off MSRP for all Millenias with the 1.9%APr up to 3 years and 4.9%APR up to 6 years.

As for Millenia's trunk, my Mom always carries the biggest luggage you can find anywhere and it fits fine in my Millenia. I was able to fit two medium size ones in the trunk too, so trunk space is never a problem for me.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    snaab93se,
    the trunk is very long and fairly shallow - but somehow it 'takes' luggage very well. My Passat statio wagon was just the other way around - very short and tall luggage space, so you had to pack vertically... But if your main concer is comfort with 4 people and 5 suitcases, get Chrysler LHS :-) or BMW 740iL :-))))
    I bought Millenia as a personal car - for the family, trips to the airport etc. we have long wheelbase Chevy Venture (not so mini) van.

When it comes to rebates, I got 6.5K off of sticker in June. I don't know what they are now, but it is kind of hard to get each and every one of them. I felt I got good enough of a deal, and so far I'm very happy with the car although I would prefer a stickshift . . . it would be fantastic with this engine.
    Good luck -

Tomek
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    The Millenia's truck can fit all kinds of stuff...you just have to be creative. This past May, when I was moving out of my dorm room, I didn't want to put much inside the car, because I was afraid to mess up the leather. I fit everything from my dorm room in the Millenia's trunk, except for my refrigerator and linens. I had the trunk filled to full capacity.

The dealer has had my new 2001 Millenia S since Tuesday :( and I won't get it back till this coming Tuesday. They spoiled me with 5 days of my new car...then stuck me in a 2001 Protege. What was only suppose to take one day turned into a whole week....switch out chrome wheels to regular, remove pinstripe, add cargo net, fix paint chip on hood, fix ding on rear passenger side door, and THE BIG ITEM that cause this long wait...fix large holes from the license plate holder on front bumper. When they put the plate on the front (WHICH I DID NOT WANT!!!) they did not predrill the holes...leaving a big mess. Now the car is in the body shop. I miss my supercharger!!
  • janeokjaneok Member Posts: 4
    Hello. Four weeks ago I purchased a used 98 MIllenia L w/ 28000 miles. Love the looks and feel of this car!
    Two weeks ago check engine light came on, stayed on for a few startups, went off and stayed off for two weeks. This past weekend, light came on again, so I took car into dealership this morning to check it out. I was told that only code that came up was something to do with fuel evaporation; their translation: "make sure fuel cap is tightened well after filling with gas". Well, I already know about this and am always very careful to hear it click several times. I left skeptical about their explanation. Sure enough, check engine light is back on a few hours later. I know very little about cars! Could it be as simple as needing a new fuel cap? What are other possibilities if it's not O2 sensors, which they say all checked out fine??? thanks!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    It very well could be a bad gas cap. Here in CA, all smog test stations have equipment to test gas caps. If yours don't, you may try a new cap or "borrow" the neighbors. Ok, maybe not the second choice. If it's not that, it could be a loose or cracked vent hose which is more difficult to find/replace.

It looks like your biggest problem however, will be getting the dealer to believe that you turn the cap until it clicks.
    janeok, my 2001 Millenia S has the gas cap attached to the car . . . if yours is not, you probably have an aftermarket cap that doesn't fit well. If this is the case, get an original one from the dealer.
    Just my $0.02...
    thanks for the suggestions. I don't believe that the gas caps were ever attached in the 98 model, which is what I own. It appears to be the original. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

There are no emissions inspections in the state where I live, in the south. I intend to take it in to the dealership again and suggest trying a new gas cap. You're right, maltb, convincing them that I am indeed tightening the cap sufficiently may be my first hurdle. I just hope this does not turn out to be one of those nagging recurring mysterious problems with my car. BTW, what's a vent hose? Sorry if that's a dumb question.
    After over a week...I finally got my Millenia back from the dealer. They had spent all that time fixing a paint chip on the hood...which caused the entire hood to have to be repainted...$800(not out of my pocket though). They didn't even touch the holes on my bumper...I have to bring it back on tuesday for that...they will most likely have to switch out my bumper. This has turned into a nightmare. I'll probably be without my car for another week while they fix the bumper...hopefully this time I'll get something nicer than the Protege they stuck me in last week.
    On Thursday I brought my Millenia S in for oil change - and I've complained casually that
    - brakes are a little noisy when used hard from 65mph+
    - the car seems to pull right, but it's not too bad
    - windhield washer nozzle on driver's side sprays too low

Well, they did 4 wheel alignment, kept the car until Friday to change front rotors (had to wait for them). I also got a free loaner for the second day (626 LX with sunroof, but 4 cyl) and they washed my car.
    Brakes are now perfect, and there is no more pull to the right (barely noticable before), windshield washer nozzle has been adjusted..
    All that was $24.56 - for the oil & filter change...
    I have to say that after dealing with VW (where almost every time I had to PROVE to them that yes, there is a problem and I'm not making it up for my own amusement) that was pretty refreshing...
    Just wanted to share nice experience.
    Tomek

P.S. I was also told by service manager, that when reserve light comes on, there should be 3.5 gallons left, at E only 2.
    Ok, it's definitely time for me to change my 2000 Millenia tires. My S already got 34000 miles now, still with original tires .
    If I go with the same tires,
    -215/50/VR17
    Dunlop SP Sport 4000, it would cost me $156 each
    If I go with what's on 2001 Millenia S, Dunlop SP Sport 5000, then it would cost $186 each; better than the SP4000 I think. Same size.
    I'm actually thinking about moving to different tire size 235/45/ZR17. Falken Azenis ST155, a new performance tires that's supposed to be very quiet (road noise wise). This one is only $116 each.

Have anyone use this tire size on their Millenia yet. I know the Australian Millenia SP uses this tires size. How does it feel.
  • isaaclisaacl Member Posts: 7
    Good morning all. I am looking at a 1995
    Millenia S w/ the 2.3l V-6 and 129k miles.
    The car is for my 20 year-old bro in the
    Air Force. He needs a car for extensive
    highway travel. Somehow the little Eclipses
    and Civics around aren't doing it for him.
    We saw this MilleniaS and he is in love. I really like that he is showing class in a used car
    choice. I am the devils advocate here and wondering if any of you ladies and gents would post back to this message with your gut feeling
    about this car (for 7,000 but I will talk it down a bit...) As always I respect the opinions and experience of actual owners of a respective car in my interest and ANY response would be GREATLY
    APPRECIATED.....Isaac Ludwig. (car is in PA)
    I wouldn't buy it, as service can be expensive on S - Lysholm supercharger seals etc.
    If you buy a used car w/high miles, you'd want probably something that is easy and cheap to fix in an independent service station . . . 3 yr old Chevy Impala? Chrysler LHS?
    1995 was the first year for Millenia - another reason to pass.

Hope my $0.02 help -
    Tomek
  • nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    isaacl, read back a few hundred posts and you'll see that the '95 S has had more than it's fair share of problems...more so than any other year, If it was me I'd search out a '96 or '97 with fewer miles, for probably the same ball park figure -I cannot give any real world experience with these years as I have a 2000 S, but I would say that '95 is the worst (and first) year of the Millenia S and have read here on these posts to stay away from it. Years '96 and up look solid though....Good luck.
    I agree with both tomekk and nvedrani that the '95 models have more problems than not. Get a '96 or newer and you'll be very happy with the car. You'll probably looking at a grand more for the '96 but it will be worth it.
  • isaaclisaacl Member Posts: 7
    To everyone who responded to my request, thank
    you very much. The 95 Millenia S was gone when I
    called Monday morning. Dealer said some guy in Jersey saw it on internet and picked it up ASAP.
    I however was made both smart and wary by your advice. I usually steer away from the (1st) generation of a particular model and had no idea that the Millenia was introduced in 1995. Thanks for the heads up. I'll tell you what, the looks of that S are definitely on the jazz. I will never
    overlook another Millenia when in the search for a used car. Thanks everyone.
    Thanks everybody
  • jawhnjawhn Member Posts: 15
    What do you guys think of starting an owners club for Millenia's here on Edmunds? There are already clubs for the Protege, Miata, and MPV. These clubs are more organized and have sub categories which would make information easier to find.
    Let's do it; how do we get one and join one?

BTW, please ignore my previous post #962; I don't think a 234/45/17 will fit right on the '99-'02 Millenia S. Since the wheel size is only 17x7, while the minimum requirement for 234/45/17 is wheel with width of at least 7.5. Some tire shops that I went to kept saying it will fit; yes, it will fit, but barely and probably not safe. so I'm sticking with 215/50/17 tires. I'm getting a set of four Falken Azenis ST155 for $500 including tax and balancing and installation. This Falken tire supposed to be a good one; I'll let you all know how it performs later.
  • marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    Hello to all millenia owners/fan

Do any of you have any opinion on extended warrenty, I was looking on the net and came across Warrenty Gold, I was wondering if any of you heard or bought the warrenty from WWW.WARRENTYGOLD.COM, if so what do you think of there service, and if not do you suggest any other places that you have experienced to buy an extended warrenty from.

any input are much appreciated.

regards,
  • juliziojulizio Member Posts: 18
    Thanks csuftitans for the update. I was going to ask how the 235/45/17 fit on the 17x7 rim. I saw the manufacture's site, Falken, recommends a minimum 7.5 rim width. The diameter was close to the stock tire, I think < 1/2" smaller.

Thanks for pointing out the Flaken tire, it looks awesome. I don't know why TireRack doesn't sell them.

Let us know when you put them on and how they ride, I'm mostly concerned about the ride noise. Granted, I like a sticky tire, but I spend a whole lot more time just at cruising on the highway than I do throwing it through a few corners.

Thanks again.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    My 95 Millenia S has 77K km (48k miles), the extended warranty expired last year on the date and not on milage since it is due at 120k km. It has always been serviced at a qualified Mazda dealer and still looks like new inside and out. Few weeks ago, the transmission started to knock hard at low street speeds and hesitate between 4th and 3rd at highway speed. After two days of diagnosis and tests at the dealer the verdict was that some debris from the differential must have sneaked to the transmission which is damaged. The only recommendation from the dealer was to replace the transmission with a re conditioned one at a cost of several $k's. He stressed that we should not expect any help, consideration or simple courtesy from Mazda for the fact of low milage. I have not decided about the fix yet. This dealer sold close the 100 Millenias and it is the first of such problem.
    Jean
    Ouch.
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    I feel for you. My first car I purchased was a '75 Firebird. A year after graduating high school, I took it to a shop and found out I had to replace the transmission (this was like in 1981). Ouch! Talk about welcome to the real world. Of course I didn't make squat back then, so my $600 transmission seemed like the end of the world to me since I had to go running to mama for the repairs. I don't think I got over that shock until I purchased my first home years later, which was an altogether new shocking experience!
    Ok, so finally replaced all of my 2000 Millenia S tires with Falken Azenis ST115, same size 215/50/17, for $500; including install & balancing. this tire is one of the cheapest of all, there's one or two cheaper one with brnad that I don't even know; like Nanjing?? . Anyway, the tires looks pretty good, noise level is about the same as the original dunlop SP4000, but then again I've only driven it for about 10 miles today. I'll let you all know if this is a good tires in about a week; I'm going to Vegas for Comdex show next week and lets see how this tires perform; hope it rains or snow on the way there :-).

BTW, for those who live in Southern California, I have a Hyper Xenon lookalike bulb for '97-'00 Millenia that I will give to fellow millenia owners for free. this bulb is definitely brighter than the original bulb, have light bluish color. I also have the original if someone wants it.

email me at [email protected]
    Marty: Thanks. It is not about the money only as much as about sharing this experience and warn fellow Millenia owners about this problem, so they take better care of their transmission.
    Transmission update: I replaced the transmission fluid. the rough kicking diminished drastically and happens seldom at low speeds when shifting to second gear. At higher speeds 60-70mph the transmission shifts from 4th to 3rd then back to 4th, also occasionally. Besides that the transmission now works nicely most of the time. Anybody seen such problem before? Thanks.
    Jean
    Anybody know the best place to put jack stands on the Millenia (front & rear)? Also what's the best place to to jack up the car with a floor jack? Please be as specific as possible.
    After I changed all of my Millenia's tires with a new set, now the car vibrates if I drive over 60mph. Can someone please help me and tell me what the heck happened?. Is it whell balancing or alignment that needs to be done. Do you think this is the tires shop's fault?

HELPPPP
    Of course, you need both. They didn't do it after putting new tires on??? In addition, usually rebalancing is needed after 200 miles or so after new tires settle on the rims.

Also tires could be out of round, or "cupped"m if they've been in storage for too long. You can find out what year and week they were produced in by some code on the sidewall (don't remember details).

Good luck -
    Tomek
    Andy: Either your tires are not well balanced or simply the lead fell off. Ask them to re balance all the wheel properly. Make sure they balance them for high speed. Bad alignment will not cause such vibrations but can pull you easy to the wrong lane.
    Jean
    Thanks to both Thomasz and jean for the quick reply. I will take it back to the shop and have them re-balance the tires. as for the date of manufacture, I'm pretty sure it's in the past six months, as it's a very new model from falken.
    Thanks again, I'll let you guys know how it feels after the balancing.

cheers
  • milleniabasemilleniabase Member Posts: 11
    I have a 97 Millenia(2.5) with 60k. The check engine light went on about 5 times during last four years but i didn't worry too much since it's a known Millenia problem. Last time it went on 2-3 weeks ago and then off in about 4 days. Today my fuel gauge went from half of tank to less than empty and then back up to quater of tank. Then the check engine light went on. Anyone seen anything like that before? Is the check engine light suppose to tell you when you need maintnance done or not?
    I finally got my Millenia back from the dealership. They did an excellent job patching the holes in the bumper. :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Last week a couple of folks expressed interest in a Millenia Owners Club. I can pursue getting one set up if you folks would like me to do so.

For those who might not know, the Owners Club is a dedicated folder where you can have as many discussions as you would like. Take a look at some of them here to get an idea of the possibilities. You will see that the various clubs have separate discussions for things like introducing yourselves, posting pictures, maintenance issues and whatever other related topics the groups may find of interest.

This discussion will remain here on the Sedans board, but will be linked to the Owners Club folder as well, making it accessible from either place. So far in the Mazda folder we have Protege, Miata and MPV clubs - don't you think a Millenia club should be there also?

You can "subscribe" to the entire owners folder, which makes reading all the posts in the various discussions very easy to do. You will also eventually have the opportunity to have regularly scheduled owners' chats if you are interested in doing so.

Let me know if you have any questions. If this sounds like a good idea, speak up and and I'll get the ball rolling.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • nyatlantannyatlantan Member Posts: 4
    Hi folks, I'm new. I am a potential buyer of a 95 Millenia L with the works. Leather, CD changer, S/R etc. The only heart burn about it that I have is 167,000 of them. For 3500 bucks, is it worth it? I drives pretty good. A little front end simmy at about 80mph. I figured that may be a out of balance tire or worse case tie rod ends. Everything electrically on the car works. Oh, one last thing. I see everyone is talking about getting the timming belt changed. This car unfortunately does not have good records with it. Is there any way to check it, or should I get it changed on G.P. I'm like you all, I like the looks, I drove it and for the mileage, it was a darn good ride.
    Read posts 963 - 967.
    Tomek
    Thanks Tomek. It sounds like the 95 L.'s were dogs as well as the 95 S's. I just hope I can find a 96 L. with the same amenities.
    I think a Millenia owners club would be GREAT, sign me up!
    BTW - Although I would not buy a 95 Millenia with 167,000 miles on it not all 95's are bad. I have a 95 L with 73,000 miles that I love and that has given me NO problems at all.
    My parents use to have a 95 Millenia L...they loved it (but it was a company car...when they quit...they lost it). I missed it so much I went out and got my own 99 Millenia...and now of course I have my 2001 Millenia S. All three Millenias were Pearl White...the last two with two-tone paint. They never had any problems with their 95...it had close to 50K miles when they got rid of it.
    Ok, I really like the Millenia's. With my budget, I can afford up to a '97.(Baby on the way) I plan on keeping the car for awhile like, 5 to 6 years. So, my question is, is this a car that I can take into the 100+ thousand mile range? I have only owned German cars and I have an Audi now that is 2k away from the 300,000. It was a high mileage car when I bought it and I had to put a clutch, radiator, cv joint, and brake pads since I have had it. I am going with a Japanese car because I will not have time to tinker as much as I used to have. I need to be able to get in drive and not worry. So are the Millenia's worth it?
  • taitinlrtaitinlr Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 black millenia with 33,000 miles. It needs new tires. I am wondering what you think is the best tire for my car. I have looked at tirerack.com and they have lots of tires there for my car. The one that I like the most is a bridgestone potenza re950. Any input is appreciated.
    Also, I have a rattle in my dash. I believe it is coming from the passenger side airbag. Does anyone else have this rattle. It does it only when going over pavement cracks or big bumps. It is rather loud and annoying. I have had a 96 millenia previously and it made the same noise. If anyone knows how to fix it - I would really appreciate it.
    I had the same rattle in my old 99 Millenia. It was covered under warranty. The dealership added padding under the airbag cover and around the glove box areas...never had the problem again.
    Ok, I just got back from Vegas early this week, driving my Millenia S with a set of new Falken Azenis ST115 tires; same size as original Dunlops 215/50/17. Here're my experience with it:
    1) Bought a set of 4 new Falkens, have them balance and install it for $500. Tires looks much better than the Dunlops, but while driving on the freeway I felt like the car is wiggling side to side. Took it back to the shop, they re-balance the wheel (put more weight on it) and also told me that his guy put too much air on it when they first install it, so he re-adjust to Mazda's setting 32Front/29rear. Drive it out of the shop, into the freeway and the wiggling is still there, even though it's a bit better now, but still annoying. So thinking that these guys are not very good at balancing a wheel, I took it to another shop which is recommened by my co-worker; re-balance and all is good.
    2)LA to Vegas, 260miles. I noticed that this falkens are much quiter compared to other performace tires, but still a tad noisier compared to the original Dunlop SP4000, which is not a performance tires. On asphalt, it's very quiet, maybe quiter than the dunlops, but on concrete, it's a bit noisier. Four adults and my 1-yr old baby was in the car, so I cant really try it at high speed; the fastest was at 120mph, which is very stable and no vibrations at all; just like driving at 80mph. BTW, Fwy 15 to vegas is consistently at 4000ft above sea level and Millenia's supercharger really helps the engine to maintain it's power at that altitude; naturally aspirated cars would've lost some of it's power at this altitude. So reaching 120mph is an easy task for Millenia's engine.

That's All Folks.

zoom-zoom
  • jdigeorgiojdigeorgio Member Posts: 11
    Unless you just love the body styling, I don't know why someone would pick the Millenia S over the base Acura TL. I looked at both of them recently and bought the TL. The TL is cheaper, faster, bigger, more reliable (my opinion), and has similar if not more features. Sure you can get a deal on a Millenia S that puts it about the same price as the base TL but the Millenia came in 9th in Edmunds test and the TL came in 1st. My only concession is that the Millenia is better looking - but if you haven't see the newest TL you should take a look. The 2002 TL is a big improvement over last years model even though the changes are modest.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    I got my Millenia P for $22K. I could have picked up a Millenia S for about $25K. I saved almost $7K getting the Millenia vs. the TL. Bang for the buck is important to me and the Millenia cannot be beat is this department, it is an awesome car for the money.
    In my opinion the TL looks too much like an Accord. I like the Millenia b/c it doesn't have any cheaper cousins.
    Millenia is cheaper and not smaller than TL. do not compare MSRP, compare how much dealers are selling these two cars for. Millenia S for about $25.5K and TL for about $27.5K. Also, they're about the same size, with TL bigger in front shoulder and knee room and Millenia bigger in the rear head and knee room. I'm 6" and I barely clear the TL's rear headliner; not in the Millenia; front head room about the same. TL is smoother/quiter on the road; while Millenia is more sporty and fun to drive.
    BTW, most edmunds's car comparison review almost never favor's Mazdas car anyway. Please take a look at other reviews also; Car&Driver did similar comparison last year and TL is 1st, Millenia 4th (and this is the 2000 Model Millenia without all the improvements they made to the 2001 model while the TL is basically the same except for the exterior design) - Go figure!!!!.
    Quote jdigeorgio--"Millenia doesn't make sense over TL"?

Like speedracer3 says--Quote ,"I got my Millenia P for $22K. I could have picked up a Millenia S for about $25K".

As a matter of fact I bought my "01 P for $21680, and the S, which I didn't want because of the supercharger, which adds a lot of mechanical complexity for a gain in power I do not need, would have added about $2500 to that, or about $24200. I doubt you could find a TL anywhere near those ACTUAL REAL WORLD prices.

I now have almost 4000 flawless miles on a great "made in Japan" with almost 100% Japanese content automobile, that rivals any car within $10000 of it's MSRP, both inside and out. The styling has to be as good as any car, bar none. The 626 does have a strong frontal resemblance to it, but the Millenia still comes out on top.

Unless you are planning to drag race and need a hot rod engine, I see no drawback to the 2.5L V-6 at all. It has performed flawlessly, and has all the power needed for anyone not interested in racing it.

Contrary to some posts I have seen, the reliability rating both in Consumer Reports and all online sites, shows the Millenia to be as reliable, or more so than the Camcords. The only exception being the spark plug wires on the '95 model, a $100 item.

I like the TL, but I love my Millenia.

That said, enjoy your wonderful new TL.
    Quote: csuftitans--"they're about the same size, with TL bigger in front shoulder and knee room and Millenia bigger in the rear head and knee room. I'm 6' and I barely clear the TL's rear headliner; not in the Millenia; front head room about the same."

My other car is a '95 Olds 88. And while the Olds measures a little larger inside, the Millenia has a far superior open and airy feeling. After driving my Millenia, the Olds makes me feel like I am sitting in an overly upholstered hole. I always avoid the Olds in favor of the Millenia, unless going to a mall or some such place where the car is apt to get door dings etc. The Olds does have a little more rear knee room.

I guess my point is that the measurements don't tell the whole story. The Millenia is simply a joy to drive and to be seen in.