Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    "A 530i 5-Speed should be nearly as quick as a 540iA, with less maintenance (in theory) and much better gas mileage (in reality)."

That is, as long as it's not mine we're talking about.

"I'd hold out for a 530i SP 5-Speed (like maybe the one that's going to show up at Tulley tomorrow night)"

I guess this means you didn't win the lottery.

Does anyone besides me hear that music playing in the background? Sounds like..."Funeral for a Friend"...
  • Shipo (or others with opinions on the matter),

I want to buy a new car in the next 6 months. I have been doing my research (have considered BMW 3 and 5 series, Infiniti M and several others such as Acura RL which I felt was disappointing and ruled out). I might even consider TL especially if they added AWD.

However, I think for discussion purposes I have narrowed it to BMW 330 or BMW 530 or the Infiniti M (probably the M35). Several questions:

1. The 2006 BMW 330 seems like a great package in terms of acceleration, handling but also has a bit more backseat and trunk space. I am not in love with the styling but still prefer it to the 5. Do you think the 5 is really worth the preumium in the 2006 models.

2. The SP 530 will get a new engine (255 horses). What is the SP designation you mention and what would be the principal advantage -- will it be able to out accelerate the 3? Also, you mention that the 530 is more nimble than the 540 -- why is this and will it outhandle the new 3 based upon what we know (or your educated guess).

3. Not really a question but a comment -- I was getting excited about the M35/M45 (and still am). However, I don't like the fuel efficiency (I know the additional cost is not that great but the idea of high efficiency and also environmentally sensitive v6's which Mercedes, BMW and Acura have been able to produce (TL) really appeal to me.

What would you buy and if I lean towards the new 3 or 5 do you think I can buy 2,000-3,000 off MSRP by the end of the summer.

Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Hmmm, lots of ground to cover here:

1) Personally, unless you need the extra space and/or love the look of the 5er, then I personally don't think that the E60 (latest generation 5-Series) is worth the premium over the E90 (soon to be released 3-Series).

2) Pretty much as of now, all six cylinder engines that BMW will be sending to the U.S.A. will have two different designations x25 and x30 (as in 325i, 525i, 330i and 530i). The 3.0 liter engine in all of the x25 cars will produce 215 hp at 6,250 rpms and 185 lb-ft of torque at 2,750 rpms. The same displacement engine in the x30 cars will produce 255 hp at 6,600 rpms and 220 lb-ft of torque at 2,750. Basically that means that the nominally lighter 3-Series should out-accelerate a 5-Series with the same engine, but not by much. The SP that people refer to means Sport Package, a factory package that usually means nicer seats with better bolsters to keep you in place during aggressive cornering, a nicer grippier steering wheel, and larger/wider wheels shod with lower profile/wider/stickier summer tires (as opposed to the All-Season rubber that the non-SP cars are equipped with from the factory). Regarding the 530i being more nimble that the 540i, I was discussing the previous generation 5-Series dubbed the E39, which was imported to the U.S.A. from the spring of 1996 through about September of 2003. The new E60 5-Series is now able to be built with both the V8 engine and Rack and Pinion steering, so my comment doesn't apply in this case. As for the 5-Series out handling the 3-Series, hmmm, I doubt it. My guess is that in every case except the M5, a 3-Series equipped with the SP will out handle a similarly equipped 5-Series car.

3) Unlike virtually every other manufacturer around the world, BMW does not produce a V6 engine. All of the six cylinder mills that BMW produces are of the inline variety, hence their designation of "I6". The main advantage if the I6 is that it is naturally mechanically balanced with all reciprocating forces perfectly offsetting themselves. The only other engines that I am aware of that share that property are V12s and even cylinder count horizontally (boxer type) opposed engines with four or more cylinders (although a four cycle four cylinder boxer engine still feels rough due to torque reversals).

Personally, I'm most likely getting an E90 330i as my next BMW due to the fact that (as many folks around here know) I'm not really a fan of the 5-Series (to put it mildly). Regarding getting $2,000 to $3,000 off MSRP on either the E60 or the E90; I don't think that it's very likely that you will find that kind of a discount unless you wait until either of those two are no longer in production and there are just the cars in the pipeline remaining to be sold (as with the previous generation E46 3-Series right now). If you REALLY want to take $3,000 or more off the MSRP on a BMW, then you need to consider a trip to Munich to pick up a car via the European Delivery (ED) program.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    see if I got this right please,

Msrp $43345.00
    sales $40740
    sec dep$450.00
    o down
    36/15k 60% residual.
    .00125 MF
    Payment $505.75 pre tax

Thanks,
    DL
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Posts: 284
    The issue is whether you need the extra back seat space of the 5. The 3 is, and will always be, more tossable.
  • Close... but if none of the below numbers are included in your sales price then...

True $0 down would result in a much, much higher payment. At delivery, you'll need to cut a check to include:

(using my state as an example)

- 1st month's payment ($505 + tax 6% = $535)
    - lease aquisition fee ($625)
    - dealer's conveyance fee ($199)
    - state reg ($200)
    - security deposit rounded up to the next $50 increment over your monthly ($550.)

So your likely writing a check for around $2,100
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Posts: 263
    The second tank is Elizabethtown to Nashville to Georgetown. The last leg is 225 miles +/- and I wanted to see the UK game on something besides my wife's 2" portable TV. It took around 3 hours, including getting out of Nashville (I-65 is always under construction) and the last 35 minutes is not Interstate.

Half the first leg (it felt) was behind a tractor trailer passing a U-Haul. I have the speed warning set on 90 and my wife can discern 90 MPH from 37 degrees from 31 miles to empty.
    Thanks, Tx charges :
    2 years reg $125.55
    document fee $50.00
    and the aformentioned sec deposit.
    They charge sales tax on the trade difference as well at 6.25%, if your trading.

DL
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,885
    1) We'll add in an acq.fee of $625, instead of the security deposit.. CAP cost of $41,365

Payment $511/mo. + tax

Due at signing: 1st payment (approx.$570/mo.,TX right?), Security deposit ($600), title/registration fees. ($1400-$1500 total?).

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

That sound you hear is me scratching my head. Everything I read posted here might contradict what the so-called experts tell me, but you have the actual numbers and they don't. Consequently, I have to believe that there's something screwy about my mileage. (Or do I have to get it up to 90 to achieve good numbers? I thought 80 was enough.)

ABTW, to clarify about my tires, the deep treads are still deep; it's the shallow ones which are gone. I compared them to the ones on my Lexus, which are not Pilots but are MXV4 Plus, and the MXV4s look brand new. I check the pressure level about as often in the bimmer as I do in the Lexus.

It was not fun to skid around a right turn yesterday at all of 15-20 mph.
    "It was not fun to skid around a right turn yesterday at all of 15-20 mph."

Yikes, unless you were on snow or some other slippery surface, something is seriously wrong. To get my car to skid at 15 mph on a clean dry surface, I practically have to have the wheel at full lock and them mash the throttle. Me, I'd drop the car off at the dealership and tell them you won't be back until it's fixed.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Posts: 284
    WOW! It's tough to get my 3 to skid at 60 in the rain.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    If anything my BMW handles better in the rain then on dry roads.
    Have had 2 BMW's since 1993-same for both.
    What tires did/do you have? Michelins aren't great when it's wet, and I did skid once on a hard turn on slightly wet pavement before this whole mess began (I didn't think I was going all that fast, but whatever). But lately I have no confidence at all in my ability to stay where I belong on turns (and I'm not particularly interested in finding out the hard way where perception ends and reality begins). And when I go over unavoidable bumps, the car jumps around; it just doesn't feel sure-footed anymore.

Thursday can't come fast enough.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I have Continental ContiTouring Contact Ecoplus tires. They are fantastic. They came with the vehicle.
    Good luck!
    hpowders
    ..., and not a very good one at that.

I just posted my last picture of my soon to be turned in 2002 530i on my Yahoo! photos page.

http://photos.yahoo.com/shipo

It is in the "Last Pic" album.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I did the deed tonight, I turned in my wonderful 2002 530i. I am now officially BMWless for the first time since January of 1999. :-(

Hmmm, let's see, according to my calculations, my two children have their Spring Break for 2006 starting on Friday afternoon the 21st of April next year. If we take them out of school a day early so that we can all fly to Munich, I can fetch a new 330i from the ED center during the afternoon of 21-Apr-2006, that means that I only have to wait 12 months and 30 days from now until I get my next BMW. The clock is ticking. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Ops, I meant to post on prices paid. Anyways I was offered that payment with 5k down,,,,Hello So I made them share their numbers MSRP and MF .00180. I thought my previous deal was bad..

Whats the point of BMW advertising a price and Center's marking it up 6 ways from Sunday.

DL(all hope lost in TX)
  • juniorbmwjuniorbmw Posts: 29
    I didn't learn about the benefits of the Heads Up Display 'til after I brought my 530i; is it possible to have this HUD installed after market?

Would any recommend this installation?

Or is it be discouraged and just wait for the next BMW purchase in about 5 years?
    It would be cheaper to trade your car in.. Just wait five years..

I've made it 30 year without HUD.. ;-)

• jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    I have not kept as detailed record of the car's fuel consumption as shipo did but my 2002 530i gets about what shipo was getting. I have been driving the car for about 12,000 miles over the past year in the DC area traffic and the average is 24.5 mpg. I have gotten about 22-23 in Europe over the 3 years or 16,000 miles. Most of those miles were on autobahn where I averaged about 70 to 80 mph (counting the drive through congestions, sections with 75 mph or slower speed limit, etc.) At 120, OBC showed about 24 or slightly less.

By the way, I have also just sold it and will be BMW-less unless I can find a replacement in the next week or so. :-(
    Hmmm, maybe these cars need to be flogged on the Autobahns in order to break them in properly. ;-)

My condolences on being BMW-less, I feel your pain. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I'm starting to think I'm sorry I ever brought up the subject. Ignorance is bliss, but nooooo, I just *had* to know.

And if one more person tells me you guys all are lying about your mileage, I think I am going to scream.

BTW, shipo, I wore black yesterday in your honor.
    Have faith my friend. I'm betting that your suspension woes that you are addressing with your dealer tomorrow have a lot to do with your crummy mileage. Keep us posted on what they find.

Best Regards,
    Shipo

P.S.
    Thanks for the thought. ;-)
    "I'm betting that your suspension woes that you are addressing with your dealer tomorrow have a lot to do with your crummy mileage."

Me too. I have my fingers crossed...and my ankles...and my toes...
  • george94george94 Posts: 75
    I certainly hope wou will keep hanging around these boards even w/o your beloved e39. Best luck to you.
    Thanks to our fellow TownHall member PJT I've been alerted to the fact that my 530i is already CPOed and up on the BMW-USA web site used car locater.

Hmmm, the MSRP on my car was $47,395 (I’m looking at the window sticker right now), I leased it for something just north of $42,000, and they are asking $36,995 for it. Wow! When I turned it in they took one look at it and said, "Yup, we're keeping that one, 5-Speed 530i's with the Sport Package are very hard to come by." Jeez, I think they are actually asking MORE for it than a comparable 530iA. So much for the old adage, "Manual transmissions destroy resale value." ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    My local dealer has two CPO '02 530i... with sport package.. and automatic..

They just lowered the price to $29,900 and $30,900 respectively.. (about a $4K price drop from before).

However, I think both have more miles than yours.. 45K and 39K mileage...

I'd buy yours, but I'd have to give it a $5K deduction for the lack of heated seats.. ;-)

regards,
    kyfdx

And no heated steering wheel, And no heated side bolsters :)

Ill be the 1st one in TX with CWP....

DL
    Yikes! Does that make me the first one in New England without the CWP? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo