Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• mabodmabod Member Posts: 11
    cass, thanks for the response ! I did love the drive of the 545i and now am ready for skip the 530XI. Give me power and response (as well as snow tires). The only stone unturned is driving the new 530i with 255 hp vs the 545i. I thought the 530i 225 hp was underpowered. Realize I live in Santa Fe NM at 7500 elevation so we need more horses in the the corral. Yup the 545 was nice indeed. thanks for the help.
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    My pleasure. I took a 530 out for an extended test drive back in August and was thinking seriously of getting one when I asked my wife what she thought. Her response was, "It's a lovely car, just lovely except it's not fast enough". That was all I needed to hear

But try the 255 hp. That may be a decent compromise.

I got SP, CWP (don't not get this), NAV, HUD and SAT Radio. Would do exactly the same thing were I to do it over. Also got it in Olivene Green and have had numerous people compliment the color; one actually pulling up next to me at a light demanding to know what color that was and, when I told him, he said that was his next...
  • mabodmabod Member Posts: 11
    whoa! Are you saying no Cold Weather Package? My wifes X5 has the CWP and I love the heated steering wheel. Gotta have it. I've had heated seats in my Saabs since the 80's. A warm butt on a cold morning's drive to work sooths the soul. All right maybe not big a deal but I do like heated seats. Are you saying no sport package as well ? I haven't seen a HUD and don't understand the benefit. We are a small town in a remote area so I see no need for NAV.

What size winter rims did you get ?
    mabod, what I said regarding the CWP was "don't not get this". In other words, don't fail to get it. It is an absolute must. The heated seats are to die for and I especially like the heated steering wheel. Plus, on the 5er, via iDrive, you can adjust the ratio of heat between back and butt. My wife, for example, sets her seat so she gets no heat in the butt but max in the back. In the winter I do 50:50 but in warm weather I'll set it with all the heat in the back so that, if my back is aching, I can give it a shot of heat.

I also very much like the Sports Package. I like the controversial Adaptive Steering because I live in a metropolitan area (DC) and find it very useful for maneuvering around parking garages and the like. Given you more rural locale, you may not need this or find it useful. Test drive one with and one without and see what you think.

I really like the HUD which I got as a sort of free bonus from the dealer. It projects your speed (in digits) on the windshield right in front of you. It appears to be floating a few inches above the hood so you can check your speed by without taking your eyes mush off the road. It also projects the arrow direction for the NAV system which for finding my way around the ridiculous tangle of streets that make up this area is damn useful.

I don't use the NAV day-to-day as I know my way around here pretty well but it is damn handy when I have go somewhere new. And you can store addresses in its memory which is very handy. But, if 90% of your driving is in your own small town, then it does become an expensive toy.

I felt that way about the upgraded stereo. I listened to it and couldn't $1800 better sound and, for that price, you can put a hell of a lot better system in your house.

I got 17 inch rims from TireRack and was very pleased with their service
  • big_jimbig_jim Member Posts: 27
    For a guy living in the land of 10,000 potholes, is the optional road hazard program a no brainer? I have driven in 20 MN winters now without a tire incident attributable to a pothole, but I know nothing about the additional hazards due to having the sport suspension with the slightly lowered ride. $75.00 is cheap insurance I suppose, but thought you may have some insight.

Thanks again for your help. My 06 530i Sport now has a VIN and is scheduled to be completed on April 18th. The dealer said I should expect delivery in mid May. Needless to say I am very excited.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    "Plus, on the 5er, via iDrive, you can adjust the ratio of heat between back and butt. My wife, for example, sets her seat so she gets no heat in the butt but max in the back. In the winter I do 50:50 but in warm weather I'll set it with all the heat in the back so that, if my back is aching, I can give it a shot of heat".

Thats pretty cool.I like how some people own their BMW's for years and just find new toys, the flashlight in glovebox ect...

DL
    We get potholes here that are visible from space and I whacked into a few of them this year but, so far, there hasn't been any noticable problems. On my old Bimmer, I smacked into one and left about half my air dam scattered around the Beltway.
  • jim53jim53 Member Posts: 118
    As far as lease payments vs MSRP, I priced out a 545, E500, and RL. The RL had a sticker (and assumed purchase price) of roughly 10K less than the 545 but the monthly lease payment was roughly $100 more per month. The E500 was priced comparably to the 545 but the lease payment would have been roughly $150 more per month. It all comes down to the money factor (i.e. interest rate) and residual value. BMWFS blows the other two captive finance companies (and probably any 3rd party finance company) away when it comes to current lease deals.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    1) If your budget is $4K upfront and $500/mo. or less, you should be looking at '05 530i on the lot right now.. The lease deals are very aggressive right now.

2) Even though cars on the lot may have options you don't want or need, the lease price will probably be less than the new '06 models that are just coming out.

3) I wouldn't want to come up with $4K to start a lease... Shoot for about $1500 in drive-off costs, and then up your monthly budget to $575/mo.

4) If you would be happy with a 525i, then so much the better.. Especially if you are only looking for an automatic transmission... Your budget will definitely cover that, but I doubt you'll get an '06 for that price..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• damienwgdamienwg Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

What is the formula you guys use to calculate monthly lease payments? And how can dealers alter that formula (add cost here, take them away there) to make more money or to cut me a deal?
  • hihomikehihomike Member Posts: 111
    Would like some feedback on the Premium Sound Package in the 5 series BMW. Is it significantly better than the standard system - in other words, is it worth the 1500-1700 investment?
    545i Step 3814lbs 0-60 5.8 18/26 mpg
    530i Step 3494lbs 0-60 6.6 19/29mpg
    525i Step 3450lbs 0-60 7.6 18/28 mpg

Kind of disappointing the lightweight 525 isnt rated any higher mpg. Some mentioned the 545i has being horrible mileage. It's quite better than most suv/trucks on the road. And basically the same as the New 525i.

DL
    hihomike, I sure donlt think so. I bought a 2005 545 last October without it. I listened to both the basic and the upgrade in numerous demo cars and I couldn't hear much of a difference, certainly not $1800 worth. The salesmen really tried hard to sell this option so much so that quickly got the impression it was a big profit maker for the dealership.

Finally, I decided I could buy a hell of a nice sound system for my house for a lot less than BMW was charging.

Bottom line: listen to both and decide whether it's worth it
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Mike, guess I would hesitate to use the word "investment" with respect to something like the premium sound system, since I remain of the view that there are many options (on all cars) that you you'll spend money for, and for which you'll get back precious little at resale time. For my untrained ears, the standard 10-speaker system sounds great, and is good enough, for others the upgrade may seem like money well-spent. As long as you feel that you will personally derive benefit commensurate with the extra cost, great, because I just don't think you'll get too much of that money back again. After all, it will still be the same chassis/drive-train underneath.
  • turnbowmturnbowm Member Posts: 76
    hihomike,

Whether or not the Premium Sound Package is worth the extra money depends on your listening requirements. If you don't mind loading/listening to one CD at a time and find the sound quality of the standard sound system to be acceptable, then the PSP is probably NOT worth it to you.

For me, however, I want the convenience of a 6-disc changer and the audible benefits of a 7-octave equalizer with DSP sound effects (Concert Hall, etc.) in the PSP. Must admit that I'm spoiled by a high-end audio system at home and a Nakamichi sound system in the wife's Lexus.

Martin
    Thanks, turnbowm, for the insight. I do like the equalizers and quality sound. I have satellite radio, so I don't have much need for multi-disc changer, however I now it is standard.

But if the sound system is significantly better than the standard system, I definitly am going to get it. I love great sound, sometimes even more important than other features in a new car.
    Thanks, sdg380. I did listen to both systems finally, and noticed more of a difference when listening to CD's and Satellite radio than on standard FM.

Since I listen to Satellite more than anything else, I think I'm going to take the plunge and get it in my new 06 530i. It's due in next week to the dealer and will update forum on my evaluation when I finally hear it in the 06.

Thanks, again
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    and cost effective...install an AudioBahn powered subwoofer for less than $500 installed on top of the standard audio system. Go with a 10" sub (I have had both and the 8" and the 10") since it is needed to get through the sound insulation on the 5-series.

I have had high-end aftermarket ADS systems installed on Porsches in the past so my taste is more on the champagne side of audio...

And I do have BMW Sirius satellite radio in my '03 530.
    '06 525 and 530 use the same 3 liter engine. So less torque dragging around (nearly) the same weight = less gas mileage?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I'm thinking that the most likely reason that the E60 530i has a higher EPA mileage rating (per the BMWUSA web site) is that they are still posting 2005 numbers where the E60 used the previous generation if I6 engine. What that means is that the 525i did in fact have the smaller 2.5 liter mill coupled with shorter gearing (at least for the manual gearbox). To confirm that, I just checked the numbers posted on the BMWUSA site against the numbers that the EPA has published on their fueleconomy.gov site for 2005, and they match exactly. By the way, the above posted numbers are slightly off, according to both BMW and the EPA, the 525iA numbers should be 19/28, not 18/28.

Having said all of that, I would still not be surprised to find that the 2006 x30i (as in 330i and 530i) will yield higher EPA numbers than the equivalent x25i. Why? Because the x30i versions have a three stage intake manifold as opposed to a two stage version on the x25i models. Said three stage manifold should allow for better fuel atomization at all speeds, and as a result be able to deliver more miles to the gallon. Time will tell on this one. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • fm1fm1 Member Posts: 20
    The car has following options:
    Premium pkg.
    Auto.
    Xenon
    Sat. prep.
    MSRP is $50045
    Dealer is willing to give $3000 discount. With no money down the lease payment should be $707/36mon/12k residual is 62%. If I put Tax and title down then monthly payment is $610. This is a onwer's choice lease.

I would really appreciate if someone can tell me if this is a good deal or not. Do you think I should by 05 or wait for 06? I am not in a hurry.
    Thanks in advance.

fm1
    Looks like the BMWUSA site has mileage figures for the 2005 and 2006 5 Series.

The 06 3 Series has TBDs so I don't think that BMW would post the wrong mileage numbers for the 5 Series and more likely would show TBDs if they didn't have them.

Warmest Regards,
    Manybmws :shades:
    I'm thinking that when they updated the web site with the 2006 5-Series engine specs, that they forgot to "TBD" the mileage numbers. The reason I think this is that the new motors are supposed to be something like 12% more fuel efficient when compared to the 2005 mill, and as such, most (if not all) of the numbers for the 2006 525i and 530i should have changed (for the better), and of course, none of them did. What the BMW USA web site has posted for the entire 5-Series line up is exactly what the EPA has posted for the 2005 model year.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    http://www.e60.net/information/2006_5_Series_Brochure.pdf

525i M 19/28
    530i M 20/30

525i A 19/28
    530i A 19/29

Gotta love the Interent!

Warmest Regards,
    Manybmws
    Hmmm, well, so much for the hype about the 12% improvement in fuel economy. I was really hoping that the new mills would carry EPA highway ratings up in the low to mid 30s. No joy! :cry:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Recently purchased a new 2005 530i and am enjoying the car very much. Do have a couple of questions, however, as follows:

1. After the car is shut off, hear a low-level buzzing sound coming from the engine compartment. The buzzing stops after approximately one minute. Is this normal and, if so, what is going on?

2. When stopped, hear a "grunching" sound when the brake pedal is slightly released to move forward. Dealer says that this will disappear after the pads get seated in. Is this true or is he just putting me off?

3. Tried to set up "roadside Assistance" using the iDrive several times and keep getting "data transmission" failure. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong:?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Martin
    Regarding item number 1: While it may not be the same, my 2002 530i would reset the various Heating and Cooling vents whenever the car was turned off. My understanding was that it was to preserve the temperature as much as was possible inside the car, for as long as was possible. The noise of the vents re-positioning sounded very much like "low-level buzzing".

Regarding item number 2: Well, maybe. How many miles do you have on the car? Under normal circumstances, pads should be "Bedded" within the first 10 miles, and fully broken in within 200 miles.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Um, other than the fact the E60 weigh's roughly 200lbs? more than an E90, where did the 12% fuel improvement go ?

DL
    1) Owner's choice really isn't a lease, it is a balloon payment program..

2) Any reason why you can't do a regular lease? Are you in Illinois or Texas?

3) On a regular 3yr/36K lease, the payment should be about $561/mo. + tax with only first payment and security deposit upfront..

4) The lease deals should be much better on the '05s, unless of course, the dealer is giving you a bad deal.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• fm1fm1 Member Posts: 20
    Yes, I live in TX. And this is a lease unfriendly state. The sales person was telling me that in both cases(regular lease or owners choice) I will be paying full state sales tax upfront. In case of owner's choice, if I decide to keep the car after 36 mon., I can keep the car without paying sales tax again. The rates he qouted me for regular lease were $605/mon. Not a big difference. In case of regular lease I pay security deposit but in owner's choice I don't pay security deposite.
    Could you please tell me what is the money factor BMW is offering. One more thing, is this wise to purchase the vehicle at the end of owner's choice? Thanks for you help.

Regards,
    fm1
    .00125 is the money factor on a regular lease.. Chances are good that they were marking that up.. Also, I assumed the base acquisition fee of $625, but they were probably marking that up by $200 also..

Your own personal situation should determine whether you want to buy the car or not at lease end.. If you are certain that you are going to turn it in, then I don't see any advantage in doing owner's choice, unless you get a trade-in credit on your sales tax for the next car..

If they are marking up the lease money factor, then I'm sure they are also marking up the rate on the owner's choice.. That might be costing you as much as $25-$40 per month more, just in finance charges..

You are correct.. TX is unfriendly to leasers..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    First tank of gas post-flash: 370.0 miles; 15.735 gallons (@$2.619 ouch!); 23.514 mpg.

That's an improvement right there.

The tech said something about maybe putting in a can of fuel injector cleaner; not sure whether he did it, but the hesitation I had been seeing in first and second gears when stepping on the gas seems to have disappeared.
    "...but the hesitation I had been seeing in first and second gears when stepping on the gas..."

Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember you posting anything about that symptom prior to now. It was that hesitation that caused me to seek out the new software. When I had my car in Germany, it ran flawlessly, however, once it got over here to the States, it ran like crap. It turned out that my dealership had "upgraded" the code in the car once it got States side, and that was what screwed it up. It was the final round of software that cleared it up for me as well. I'm still dubious about your needing to pay nearly a 'C' note to get the latest code, however, you should make that up on fuel costs alone, assuming of course this works out like we are all hoping it does. ;-)

Keep us posted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    I don't remember you posting anything about that symptom prior to now.

That's because I didn't say anything about it. It wasn't there when I bought the car, and by the time I noticed it, I was so busy wondering about skidding on dry pavement that I was driving more like my gramma. At first I thought it was something I was doing, but then I remembered having read something about it here so I decided to mention it to the tech.

The other thing I didn't mention was the four occasions (all within a ten day span which didn't start until two months after I bought the car) on which the transmission kicked out of second gear when I was shifting. They replaced the buffer stop, but it has happened twice since then. Next week I'll have to address that again.
  • jim53jim53 Member Posts: 118
    Just picked up my new 545i. Can someone remind me what the break in period is and what I should and should not do?
    Just picked up a new 2005 530i (non-SP) eight days ago and noticed that it is equipped with Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. Any opinions or comparisons with other factory tires (Continential, etc.)?

Martin
    In answer to you 3rd comment, the dealer is supposed to set up BMW assist for you. They either set it up on the internet or fax the information to BMW assist. You should not have to set it up yourself.

If you're getting a "data transmisson failure notice", then the connection is not established
    Turnbowm - I have a new 06 530i with Continentals. My 05 525i had Continentals as well. I understand most cars come in from Germany with these.

I am a sales manager at an Infiniti dealership - and most G sedans come with Goodyear RS-A's. We haven't had any complaints from our customers, thus far, with these tires. G's also come equipped, at times, with Bridgstones.

It is my own personal opinion that "most", not all, tires are fairly equivalent as they must meet manufacturer's specifications. The only problem I have encountered with tires on new cars is that some of them are out of round if they have been sitting on the lot for some time without moving. This happened with my 05 525i, where the dealer had to replace all four tires.

I was told that on the trip over from Germany, they sit on a ship with varying temperatures - and are usually "overinflated" until they hit the port, where the pressure is brought down.

I'd be interested to know if you have encountered any problems with the Goodyears. I think Goodyear tires are great tires, at least from my experiences. On the other hand, I've heard some horror stories about Continentals.

I guess it's six of one, half dozen of another, if you know what I mean.

Good luck with your new 530i and just enjoy.
    Mike,

Was able to link up with BMW Assist AFTER I pulled the car out of the garage! The Sales Advisor had already set up the account and it was only necessary for me to verify the info with BMW Assist personnel. I'm now "good to go", if and when the need arises.

As for the tires, my wife's '98 Lexus ES300 came with Goodyear Eagles from the factory and I couldn't wait to get rid of them.... had to get them re-balanced every 7000-8000 miles! Not sure what model of Eagles they were. What I DO know is that the ride and handling improved significantly when I replaced them with Michelin MXV4s.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Martin
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    A sales manager for Infiniti driving a BMW. I love it.
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    "2. When stopped, hear a "grunching" sound when the brake pedal is slightly released to move forward. Dealer says that this will disappear after the pads get seated in. Is this true or is he just putting me off?"

Martin, is that 'grunching' still there?

José
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Because he knows, despite what the autorags would have you believe, nothing in the luxury performance category drives like a BMW. NOTHING!
    Jose,

Yes, the "grunching" noise (brakes) is still there at 200 miles. Talked to the Service Department several days ago and they said that if it doesn't go away in another week to schedule an appointment and they will take a look at it.

I suspect that in an attempt to cut down on their costs for replacing pads during the 4-year free maintenance/warranty period, BMW has gone to pads with a harder material.

Don't like the noise and I will keep after them until it's fixed!

Martin
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    I think brake pads are considered a wear item and not covered by "free" maintenance. On the other hand, my 2002 530i had 85% of pad remaining at 45,000 miles, but I'm not hard on brakes.
    Brake pads and rotors are covered.... virtually the only thing not covered is tires or maintenance more often than called for..

I really doubt they are using cheaper or harder pads... The problem is likely something else.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

That's amazing. I do lots of highway driving, and even still, the brakes on my 328i were completely gone, as in down to the metal backing on the pads, after 38,000 miles. I took the OEM pads off of my 530i at about 20,000 miles, and they were easily half gone by that time. Geez, 15% gone at 45K miles? That equates to somethink like 300,000 miles on a set of pads. What do you do, fill the car with gas, drive 500 miles non-stop, hit a gas station, pee, fill it up again and drive another 500 miles? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I got over 80,000 on my 325's factory pads before replacing em back in September with the PBR/Axxis brake pads. :) 62 mile each way to work will rack up miles fast, esp with no traffic (80+ mph).

-Paul
    Yeah, I can believe that given where you used to live and work. ;-) Your 325i has the exact same braking system that my 328i had, however, that car spent three years driving between Bergen County New Jersey and Westchester County New York. Yes, it was freeway (errr, tollway) virtually the entire distance, however, that's not to say that I didn't touch the brakes enroute. :surprise:

While 80,000 miles is certainly within the realm of understandable, 300,000 miles on a set of pads is so far beyond my comprehension that I am kind of dumb struck.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    You have to remember.. He has averaged over 50 MPH since his car was new... I doubt he has to brake very often in relation to the miles he drives..

In contrast, our 3-series has a lifetime average speed of 34.5 MPH. A lot more in-town and suburban stop and go traffic in our case..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    Will BMW dealers use customer-supplied pads (e.g., Axxis pads) for the replacement or do they insist on OEM?