Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    It is my understanding that the M5 will continue for at least 2 more years (i.e. 2002 model year and 2003 model year) with the current body style (perhaps three). I am on the waiting list and have been called twice, but have decided to pass until at least October/November for various reasons (and to get a 2002 model). The dealer I am dealing with just spent three weeks in Germany and assured me that there are no plans to discontinue the current style. Recall that the old generation M3 continued another year after the new 3-series model was introduced.

My dealer also speculated that, inasmuch as the new 5-series will be a bit larger (and possibly heavier) than the current model, the M5 may keep the old style for an extra year or two to retain its sportiness.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Actually, according to "roundel" the next m5 will have a V10 derived from the BMW f1 cars.

hubba, hubba.

dave
  • croberts2croberts2 Member Posts: 3
    Have the opportunity to buy a 2001 525i, 5 speed, premium/sports, xenon, in dash cd, split rear seats and convenience package. Has 2400 miles for $39k. The car is used not a dealer demo. Previous owners decided they did not like the manual transmission. Is this a good deal or should I bargain some?
  • lgrosslgross Member Posts: 55
    Invoice is $38,085, MSRP is $42,420. Add 4% luxury tax to the amount over $38,000 for a new purchase.

You should be able to get a new 2001 or 2002 for $1500 + lux tax over invoice in many areas. Unless you live in an area with no discounts, I'd buy new and get the colors and options that you want unless you could get them to drop the price. Also consider that financing on a used car will usually cost more.
    According to my calculations, the 525i you are considering would list new for about $42,400, with an invoice of $38,085. Given that I believe you can get a brand new 525i for about $1,200 to $1,500 over invoice, the $39k price ($1k over invoice) doesn't sound that great for a "used" car with 2,400 miles.

It would seem to me that unless you could save something more substantial, i.e. like 10-15%, you would be better off buying a new 2002 model in a couple of months. If they are willing to take something in the $35k range, then you have a tough decision.
  • indylowflyerindylowflyer Member Posts: 148
    Thanks for the M5 info. Just curious, how long did the dealer tell you the delvery would take from date of order. Did they discount any? I am being told that sticker is a good price.
  • bajabillbajabill Member Posts: 60
    This almost slipped by me. I happened to drive by the location and saw signs on the
    road so I stopped in without a reservation. They said it was pretty full and to come
    back the next day. Instead I went home and registered via internet for the following
    day. Naturally, they did not have my reservation when I got there, but is was not
    crowded and I was able to enter. Lines were short and after about an hour, I was able
    to get out of one car and directly into another for some real back to back
    comparisons. I drove all of the cars, none of the trucks. Even doubled up on the BMW
    540 and Catera.

I was most interested in the 540 vs STS. I have an STS and always considered the
    540 for my next car. Still confused, STS is stronger acceleration, 540 is better
    stopping, and I cant distinguish a winner for cornering. The Jag was not that
    impressive (under steer). This track was pretty open and allowed some good speeds.

Entry level. Lincoln LS is the clear winner for me. I should have run this one again to
    confirm my initial feeling. Catera was OK, the Merc Benz C320 was OK. This track
    was tight, required large steering wheel spins.

Large Sedans, DTS is better acceleration, MB was bland performer. I was warned for
    driving too fast here with the DTS so I could not treat the Lexus equally.

Because of the light crowds, I was able to run the timed track 4 times. Times kept
    getting better with familiarity, but I missed the hat by less than a half second in the
    end. Once again, this was a tight track with lots of steering wheel action. Every drive I
    did, I used "drive", never played with any shifting. I wanted to know how these auto
    transmissions reacted. Some of them where slow to respond out of a turn and you
    had to hit the gas early to get the punch when you wanted it. All in all, the timed
    course, and entry class course were not representative of my driving at all. I am never
    interested in the fastest U-turn vehicle. On winding roads, the steering wheel rarely
    goes more than half way around. These parking lot autocrosses are designed for
    go-carts!!

However, I am very glad I stumbled on this event, I would have been kicking myself all
    year if I found out it was right by my house and I missed it. Now, even more than ever,
    I want to participate in one of the Petty NASCAR driving schools.
    Anyone that can get a Cadilac STS to outperform a BMW 540 has it all over David Cooperfield in the world of magic. Next time try sitting on some coal while you're driving the Caddy, you'll surely have a butt full of diamonds by the time you finish.

Too bad GM didn't discover you a couple of years ago, Oldsmobile would still be alive today.

Nice try with the joke.
  • cheekscheeks Member Posts: 67
    Has anyone received a letter from BMW regarding the recall for the fan switch problem? BMWNA just told me that my 01' 530 is on the list and I should contact my dealer to bring it in. My dealer is calling me back to set up an apt. once they have the part in stock.
    epn2s astute comments notwithstanding, neither outperformed on all fronts. epn2, you have a much louder calling at humor, mine is very dry.

The STS was quicker out of the sharp turns. The 540 stopped better entering the sharp turns. These turns were not representative of my wants and needs. Basically equivalent to a u-turn on a 3 lane highway. Yes, the rear wheel drive felt fun in this maneuver but I noticed no real difference in the result. There were some S turns at speed and neither suffered excessive roll or stood out above the other. The turns were not long enough to tweak anything along the way.

Just one drivers experience. Where do I fall relative to the whole gamut of drivers, dont know, just not the fastest or the slowest.
  • dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    Hey guys!
    My 528i lease is up, the dealer has a blk/blk 01 530i with 5000miles sells as brand new. Sport premium and convenience pkg, xenon, in-dash cd and steptronic. For 43,000 in So Cal. MSRP 46970.
    Good deal or just OK?? I want to do somthing since its the end of the month for them.
    1884.83 drive off. 719/mth x 36.

Dan
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    5000 miles and still selling brand new. This isn't right.
  • naimnaim Member Posts: 5
    You've got to be kidding, There is no way or any right or good drive compare a caddy with a 540 because they know which on is better. Are you retire yet? Maybe you prefer a softer and boring ride. Other drivers prefer to drive the best luxury sport in its class according to auto magazines. "ultimate driving machine". GET REAL.
  • croberts2croberts2 Member Posts: 3
    I have been reading up a little on the recall on the BMW Central site. Apparently it affects the 3, 5 and 7 series. I logged into the NHTSA site and they do show the recall for both the 3 and 7 series but not the 5. I don't know why as posts on BMW Central state the 5 series is affected. It apparently affects cars with a certain build date but I could not find that info. Hope this helps.
  • mikelltomikellto Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks,
    I just bought a '01 525 with the premium, convenience, xenon, DC, and Step. Could someone tell me if there is any way to dim the rear view mirror? My window sticker says it has auto dimming. I thought the brochure said it was not available on the 525. I assumed there would be a flip lever to adjust it, but no dice. Just the red alarm protrusion.
    Sorry if this has been covered before, I am not able to search the site right now.
    Best,
    Mikell
    Autoweek had a paragraph that stated all 5 series built between January 2001 and May 2001 were being recalled for a faulty fan blade switch. My 5 series was built in March 2001 and according to my dealer is being recalled. They said they ordered a replacement part that was being shipped from Germany and should arrive in "4 or 5 days". Well, I guess I'll see...................
  • mikelltomikellto Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks,
    I just bought a '01 525 with the premium, convenience, xenon, CD, and Step. Could someone tell me if there is any way to dim the rear view mirror? My window sticker says it has auto dimming. I thought the brochure said it was not available on the 525. I assumed there would be a flip lever to adjust it, but no dice. Just the red alarm protrusion.
    Sorry if this has been covered before, I am not able to search the site right now.
    Best,
    Mikell
  • shaker58shaker58 Member Posts: 130
    i just leased a new 530ia sport fully loaded taxes in pyt 8.5% and no sec dep because had a 528 it wa s
    695 and 1400 out of pocket so think you can do much better on 530 with 5000 miles on it
  • roc50mgroc50mg Member Posts: 102
    Anybody here put in an order for a new 5 series yet? If so, how much over invoice did you pay and in what state do you live? I'm interested in a 2002 530i. Also, what is the estimated time day of delivery?
  • lgrosslgross Member Posts: 55
    I bought a 2002 530iA at $1500 over invoice in Connecticut. Tentative delivery is Oct 25 in Munich, but that's not confirmed. First Munich delivery was October 22. It's possible that they ship to the US before that date. I don't know.
  • dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    Shaker58. Thanks for the info. How would you compare your new 530 vs your 528, was it a sports pkg too? Feels more powerful? Do you think it is would it to step up?

BMW financial is able to knock off $2000 off the res. Therefore I could buy it for $28300 in So Cal. We only have 30500 miles on it.One last pmt to go. Is it worth buying?

My wife says she thinks the 528 is slow now that we have a 2001 325 to compare it with!
    Dan
  • luxperfluxperf Member Posts: 1
    I would have to agree with bajabill on his comments. I also attended the World Challange. The 540ia and STS were both great cars. If it came down to buying one or the other though I would have taken the STS in a heart beat.

Much better value, plus it is a much better car in day to day driving. Plus it just looks sweet. Oh BTW I am 21, so in reality my next car purchase is between a CTS and 530i, not 540 and STS, but it sure is nice to dream....
  • shaker58shaker58 Member Posts: 130
    I had sport package on 528 too I even got silver again think it looks much sharper with the colored trim and tinted windows this time .The car has a smoother feel when accelaration I went down the line audi liccoln lexus nothing drove better than my 528 so ordered a 530 no test drive after getting it I made right choice also added xenon (AWESOME)an cd player
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    If you're used to driving a FWD car with most of the torque down low, the STS will feel almost as good as 540.

You have to treat the cars differently, though. With the RWD 540, in a turn, you can use the throttle to balance any oversteer very easily. That will let a 540 get through a turn much more quickly, it will feel better, and you will come out of the turn tighter and faster.

You also need to let the engine rev higher, as BMW's engine, which is a bit smaller than the caddy one, makes more of it's power higher up. It's ok--high RPM activity will not hurt this well-balanced motor.

The BMW also stops faster, particularly so after numerous fast stops, when the STS brakes will fade. If you ae really getting speed up on the straights, and braking hard and fast, this will give the 540 another edge, because you will be able to brake later than in the STS, saving more time.

dave
  • sec1sec1 Member Posts: 16
    Just a had to post something, my new 530I orient blue,premium pkg,cold weather pkg,convenience pkg,steptronic (thought about a stick but step is so much fun), in dash cd & premium sound came in Tuesday. So far, its a such a great car, more than I could ever imagine. Was nervous about the AC after reading earlier posts about AC problems, but so far mine seems fine after sitting in the 95-100 degree heat.(Could be too early to tell,but so far so good). Gotta go cruisin'.
    Oh Laddy!

Since you claim to be only 21, let me give you some fatherly advice from a old man over twice your age. Before you conclude that the STS is a better value than a 540, or that any Caddy is a better value than any BMW, or that any GM is a better value than almost any German or Japanese counterpart... check your friendly used car section for five year old versions of each. You might be pleasantly surprised to find that you could probably buy both a "CTS" and an "STS" for about the price of one 3-series. Tell you anything???

Seriously, either you're counting every third birthday and are really 63, or there is a much bigger generation gap below me than I realized.
    Ive read but 2 of your postings, the second is a marked improvement in value. So I will entertain.

What it tells me is that in the used market, I can buy a newer cadi.

Now, lets take some older, real market data and compare with current Edmunds private party used prices - at face value

spring 1998

96 sts - 28000 acutal purchase
    95 530 - 30000 light shopping price, assume 29000 actual purchase
    95 540 - 33000 light shopping price, assume 32000 actual purchase

current

96 sts - 13, loss of 5000/year
    95 530 - 16, loss of 4700/year
    95 540 - 18, loss of 4700/year

My sts probably lost 7-8k /year before I bought it. My current/future dilema is the later model 540s are sold at a very high premium and resales are real high, to get to the under 30k target, I will currently be looking at a 1997 540 and 1999 sts, I lost ground 1 year with the bmw. The 740 is a better used value. BMW is certainly working the supply/demand curve well.
    Let's face it the STS is another BMW wanna be. The 540 is a drivers car the STS is a riders car. Throw in the sport suspension on the 540 and the STS certainly would be left in the dust. I would guess 99 out of 100 people would take the 540 over the caddy, with you being the exception.
    It is of note that I entered my decision period predisposed toward BMW. I did not come out of the process against BMW by any means. Please check your ego and read carefully, and present yourselves with some semblance of an open mind.
  • hnnguyenhnnguyen Member Posts: 5
    I definitely think that we beat sts vs 540 to death already. Let's move on. I owned a 2001 540i and I never think of touching a sts but it is only my opinion. "bajabill" has his own opinion. Leave him alone. Again! move on please.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Mikellto -

Believe your window sticker. You've got the auto-dimming mirror, & there is no flip-over lever.

Some of the rest of you (& you know who you are) -

You had a chance to talk an STS buyer into a 5-series & you blew it. How can you possibly think that he'll set foot in a BMW store after you've all but told him that he's an idiot? If his next car's not a Cadillac, it'll be an E-class or an A6. Way to go, guys.

I admit it - I'm just a lowly 3-series driver - but I can recognize bad manners when I see 'em.
  • g_carg_car Member Posts: 46
    Probably best if bajabill stayed with a STS or some other AARP discounted car. He wouldn't know what to do with a 5er if he had one. Good Riddance. He's next going to be speaking to the great handling qualities of the Lincoln Town Car. Give me a break.
    Sec1: Congrats on the new 530. I have not experienced the ac problems ( now over 5,000 miles) refered to and have had some really HOT days. I noticed you have the premium sound system, what do you think? Is it worth the extra cost?

jimbres: No bad manners, just don't agree with bajabill. No such thing as a "lowly 3-series driver". They are great vehicles. The redesign a couple of years ago was very well done. I have seen several postings regarding the purchase decision of the 330 vs. 528. I have not studied the cost difference, but I think they are fairly close in price and not that much difference in interior space.

hnnguyen: I don't get it, I thought this was a forum to express opinions. I don't see more than 3 or 4 opinions on the subject-don't consider that being "beat to death". I see you have a 540, any feedback on likes/dislikes, since you have had it awhile? What options and is it auto or manual. I have had mine for 3 months and am still amazed everyday at the performance.
  • jls21jls21 Member Posts: 40
    after reading a few posts today, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the issue is with the fan blade recall.

Also, I'm curious if anyone has attempted to implement any kind of after market cupholders to improve what has to be one of the worst features on the car. Don't get me wrong, even though the cupholders are horrible, and I do experience the AC problem, I wouldn't trade this car for anything.

Anyone else out there with my color combo receiving several compliments on the color?? . . . Aspen Silver/Black
    Our first choice going to the dealer was Aspen w/Black but decided to go with Orient Blue w/Gray and the Sport package. Still think Aspen is very nice, easier on the upkeep than the Orient, both color combos are stunning.
  • trigger07trigger07 Member Posts: 2
    I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my new 530i. I chose not to upgrade to the premium sound system, but am now second guessing myself. Does anyone have any experience with after market speakers with the standard sound system?
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    If you go to "BMW 5 Series Owners:Meet the Members" town hall of Edmunds you can get great info on a cupholder and European armrest that a 5 series owner installed himself. He provides pictures and detailed instructions in messages #11 and #12.
  • camesanocamesano Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in leasing a 530 and would like to know what the best lease deals are out there. I have visited many dealerships and monthly payments vary from dealer to dealer. Could someone tell me what a good monthly payment is for a 530iA? This is my first time leasing and leasing a BMW. Please advise. Thank you!
  • rwmiirwmii Member Posts: 5
    I am very interested in purchasing a 530i. The only thing holding me back is winter handling. I live in Southern New England and drive about 20,000 miles/year. I have always owned a front wheel drive car. How is the winter driving? If I get snow tires will that help?
    Any input would be appreciated.
    According to Autoweek, "defective underhood cooling fans and switches that could overheat and catch fire". 5-series produced between 1/16/01 and 6/13/01 are affected. Mine was made in March 2001, so I called my dealer. I have an appointment Thursday 8/9/01 to replace the entire fan unit.
    Come on now, smack talk from a 525 cop-out. Room for 5, power for none.
    Good thing you got the sport package, you will need it in the mountains, but only going downhill. As a previous 300zx owner, I expected a better exhibition of class.

I certainly hope to be blessed with life long enough to join AARP, gather a little wisdom and you too may realize and understand that joy. But you are on your way, hard to get into too much trouble with an underpowed car.

Why did BMW add a 3rd (or 4th) car to the 5 line. I thought the 528/540 was sufficient, especially with the M5. And then the 528 --> 530 would only have improved the line, why bring back the too-low end again. Do they have to get rid of a few engines or something to justify the development cost.

BTW, pop into the coup section for the "What is this BMW thing" discussion. Much better place for the attitude.
  • vaarkvaark Member Posts: 7
    Our new 530 (600 miles)is a great car, but I have noticed several problems to date: cigarette lighter cover is stuck in closed position and will not open; anytime you turn the steering wheel with the engine running it makes a straining noise; film on windows that will not wash off; many, many spots (look like water spots)on paint that will not come off. Any ideas?

Thanks
  • cheekscheeks Member Posts: 67
    I had the same problem with the steering wheel noise. I took it to the dealer where they applied a lubricant. It worked for about a month until I started hearing the noise again. I took it back and they put on another lubricant that BMWNA recommended. It's been about a month and half and I haven't heard any noise. However, I still have my concerns about the noise reappearing down the road.
    Talk about lack of class, but then I see you admit to the need to gather more wisdom, so we will look the other way. I think if someone prefers a 528 or a sts or whatever, it is up to them. It their choice, so let them enjoy. Besides, gcar probably feels safer going through high speed mountain corners in a 528 since the sts only feels secure on flat and straight roads.
    I only entered the pit, I did not fill it with mud. And, only after observing the behavior did I sling it back, but that was never my intention. My first posting in this thread was complementary to both cars, which is certainly not low class. If that is not immediately obvious, I suggest AGAIN to read carefully.

jimbres, My next car decision may be made in spite of comments herein, not because of. I was not impressed with the MB S430 but have always looked long and hard when a SL500 goes by. If you have never driven one, try the STS, but watch out for the torque steer. I enjoy driving and welcome every opportunity to try a different car. If one does not fit my needs and wants, so be it. At least the decision was from my feel, and not someone else's urging.

And, to all OTHER 525 owners, my sincere apologies. I do hope you enjoy your good decision and safe motoring.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    let's just move on, folks. We need to be discussing the vehicles, not each other.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • vaarkvaark Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the advice. I'll bring it to the dealer ASAP.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I am experiencing the "film" on the windows too. I switched from a Windex product to a solution of vinegar and water which helps somewhat, at least I don't have to clean the windows as often. I heard it is due to a gas that the dashboard materials give off.(I'm not sure if that is true.) Let me know if you find a better cleaning product.
    STS is a nice car (father owns a black '97). Build quality is a little low and it has enough torque steer to rip the wheel out of your hands. When they come out with the RWD version and cut a few lbs off the weight it will be a very nice car.

Peace
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    I looked at a guy's 2000 528iT with 15K miles which was for sale the other day.....the car looked immaculate, drove really nicely..... & I made an offer on it. Seller had bought it as a CPO "program car", told me he even knew the BMW exec. who had driven it for one year.

Then as we got more into working out an agreement, it came out that the rear doors had been "damaged in transit". Then, after I asked to take it to a body shop to have it checked out, it turned out that the seller actually had a lawsuit going against BMW because the paint was so bad on one of the doors, etc. (I didn't notice this in a brief test drive/inspection). He then warned me against ever buying a BMW "program car".

This is not the first time I have gotten this advice......I am starting to wonder what happens to the Bmw's that are "damaged in transit"......or otherwise initially screwed up in some way after manufacture. Do you think maybe they are given to BMWNA execs. to drive......then later sold at auction & show up as CPO cars?

Any advice/info would be appreciated!