Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• cpanagcpanag Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,
    Opened-ended question, but I am new to the BMW market and looking at 02 or 03 540s. I know this is a price discussion, but first question is good call? I would look for a certified pre-owned. My preference is sport package, cold weather package, 17 or 18 in rims (02 or 03), black/black.
    Second question is indeed price. 02s with low to mid mileage are going for high 30s certified. 03s are in the low to mid 40s. Is this appropriate? Seems a bit high to me. Do you think there is a lot of wiggle room in this shopping arena?
    Thanks in advance. Any and all feedback is helpful, this site looks like a great forum for discussion.
  • n1danieln1daniel Member Posts: 27
    When are the changes for the 5 series scheduled? For example the last generation changes were from 528 to 530 along with different wheel combinations and clear signal lights changes in the rear. :confuse:
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    I assume you're asking about a facelift for theE60 because the 530 and 550 just got new engines for '06 models (I'm not sure if the 525 did though). I would guess that a facelift is at least a year away if not two.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    E60 facelift? You're talking my language. Get it on with Regis and Kelly as soon as possible. I say those headlamps are gone.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    The only thing needed to be changed in the E60 is having the clock automatically adjust for standard time/daylight savings time.
    The fact that it doesn't is the only detectable flaw in an almost perfect car inside and out.
  • tcoztcoz Member Posts: 16
    My dealer gave me a 525xi as a loaner while doing the most current software update on my 530xiT. For anyone considering the 525 vs the 530, I have to say the 40 HP difference feels much greater (even with the heavier wagon) and after driving both, I'd definitely pony up the extra dollars for the 530 if at all possible. On thing to keep in mind though, is that I drive somewhat aggressively and the "adaptive" nature of these cars may have an effect on how strong my 530 feels compared to a brand new (31 miles) 525.

Also, the Service Manager told me that these cars are all meant to be driven aggressively for best performance and he actually sees more problems with the ones that are babied (or thrashed).
  • hullhull Member Posts: 10
    The mid-cycle "face-lift" for the 5 series is supposed to be for the model year 2008. The changes are reported to be minor (similar to what the 7 series changes were this year).
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Great news, it's good to hear about "bad" things that turn out right. We were down in the southland around Lakewood and Long Beach for 10 days so hadn't had a chance to
    respond to your posts. Continued good luck with your 5er. I will post some more news
    in a week or so. :)
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Thanks. Now I just need to take it back to the shop. Maybe in a few days. I have family in Lakewood. Hope you enjoyed your stay. Long Beach has really gotten a new face lift in the last few years which makes it a nice place to visit. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. Did you take the 5er?
  • rabih_yassinerabih_yassine Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Please does anyone know where i can find a user guide or manual for BMW 528IA 1997? Also for the radio guide.
    Also, does anyone know how to change the language from German to English?

Thanks in adavnce,
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    There are no good sources for BMW owner's documentation. BMW started putting the manuals online beginning with MY 2000. This is from the BMW Owner's Circle website:

"On-line Owners Manuals are currently available for vehicles of model year 2000 and greater only. If you would like to order an Owners' Manual for your vehicle, please contact your preferred BMW center:"

Other than BMW, eBay is a good place to look.

Good luck....JL
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    eBay
  • freddybbfreddybb Member Posts: 95
    Right on, hpowders. I am in complete with this and your other posts appreciating the new 5 series.

As a first time BMW owner, I LOVE the way the headlights look. In the sea of nondescript copy-cat designs out there, the 5 stands out like a shining light. Now I am definitely getting carried away :-)!
    Thanks freddybb! A lot of hostile( read envious) posters out there! They are really after us!
    I was out there today on the interstate. What stability! What a great ride!
    Hairpin turns just effortless at 70!
    Even the flatbed truckers are getting out of my way! Must be the daytime running xenon head lights!
    Thankfully in Florida the speed limit is 70 but 85 is more like it.
    I passed someone at 99. Felt like I was hardly moving. What smooth power!
    Not the autobahn but better than NYC where I came from.
    Every time I go back there and rent a car, people are afraid to do 70 on the highways.
    That close monitoring has got to stop!

The other day my non car-person wife finally noticed the headlight shape after only 3 months. She said "wow it looks like a cat's eye."
    I said "YEAH BABY!

I wish I had the DST/ST setting in iDrive like your 2006 has. Mine is a 2005. At least iDrive makes it very easy to re-set the clock.
    Enjoy your E60. You and I both know we got the best. The others are merely pretenders.
    They can criticize, but you and I will be laughing all the way to the interstate!
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Why not bring your E60 to a CCA drivers school? It's almost as much fun as driving 99 mph in a straight line.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    So all of a sudden you're looking at the prospect of spending the winter (a good 4 or 5 months, starting probably after the new year) in beautiful, sunny, downtown Rochester, instead of where you belong (Maryland). Which do you choose?

Door #1: Take the 02 530i 5spd spt (60K miles, extended warranty) with its A/S tires and hope for the best.

Door #2: Put snow tires on the 530. (wincing at the expense)

Door #3: Leave the bimmer home and take the 92 ES 300 5 spd with 80K miles (no warranty) and A/S (it's better in light snow than the bimmer with A/S tires; haven't ever driven it in heavy snow).

I'm not kidding about this; I might really have to do it. The only part that's a lie is the beautiful, sunny, downtown part. The rest of it is all too true.
    Thanks. That sounds like fun. I will keep that in mind.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    E-Mail me with your E-Mail address, I have a few things that I can send you that might help make your mind up. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    No matter which car you take, I'd put winter tires on it..

Rochester? Heavy, heavy snow... Go for the most aggressive winter tires you can get.. Q-rated..

And, if it were me, I'd take the old Lexus.. (winter tires should be cheaper for that one, as well).

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386
    What he said. RWD Bimmers work fine in snow if they are properly tired but if you have the choice take the Lexus. I'd put snows on that too, Lake-effect snow is not to be trifled with.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    While at the car wash in The Bronx this morning, I saw a beautiful E39 Wagon (couldn't tell if it was a 525i or 540i) that looked like it had the Sport Suspension (or the guy lowered it) with a set of E60 530i Sp wheels. Looked sharp!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    ' "wow it looks like a cat's eye." '

How interesting… I have always thought that the headlights of my E60 looked like a pair of eagle eyes! :shades:

I like it, anyway. ;)

Regards,
    José
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Has anyone else seen the article on the new Lexus. My first thought was they finally cleaned up the 5 Series before I realized it was a Lexus.

What scares me now is that current BMW design themes will be copied. What really scares me is I like the Lexus and hate the new BMWs.
    Whatever you and I perceive the headlights to look like, they are a unique design and will probably be copied by other automakers.
    The ultimate compliment.
    Right on again, hpowders!

For the record, NOT ONE person who has seen my 530xi (that I have owned now for over 3 months) has said that they don't like the way it looks. EVERYBODY has gushed about how unique, agile, and feline the car looks.

When I was a kid I once read a review of a Jaguar that said "the car looks like it is in motion even when it is standing perfectly still". That's exactly how I feel whenever I walk up to my 530xi.

The M35x may be the more practical, cheaper alternative to the 530xi, but it does not come close to the excitement I feel when I walk up to the car. That, and the lack of a Manual Transmission, did it for me!
    You've got that right freddybb.

"Feline" is an excellent word to describe the E60.
    Some folks (nobody I know) may criticize the front or the rear design but I can't see anybody saying anything negative when you view the car from the side. Breathtaking! Like a sleek, aggressive cat about to pounce on its prey. IMHO.

What did it for me was driving and comparing both the 545 and the M45 about 6 months ago. The 545 handled a bit better.
    The M is a fine vehicle but you are spoiled for life after getting your first Bimmer.
    I've had 3 of them now since 1993(2 325i's and now the 545).

I started testing the Lexus GS300, 430 and LS430 in addition to both M's and narrowed it down to the M45 vs the 545. I am very satisfied in deciding on my third consecutive BMW.

Yeah. Feline! ;)
  • flatout18flatout18 Member Posts: 9
    I am thinking about buying a 530. I talked to the dealer and he mentioned that manuals were not very common for this car. I was just wondering how many of you out there have a manual 530. Will this be a problem for resale down the road?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Will this be a problem for resale down the road?"

Not likely. When my dealer took my 530i 5-Speed, PP SP, Xenon, Premium Audio back at lease end this year, my dealer couldn't wait to put it on his lot. Why? Because of "How rare Sport Package equipped 530i 5-Speeds are."

Sure enough, he put my three year old car on the lot for only $5,000 less than I paid for it and sold it for a thousand less than that. Talk about a premium, it was the most expensive 2002 530i on his lot by about $3,000, including cars that had a higher MSRP!

The other way to look at this kind of a purchase is, "Just who are you buying this car for? You, or the guy or gal that comes after you?" Personally couldn't give one rip what folks down the road think about my choice of transmission, I'm ordering the car for ME and only ME. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • turnbowmturnbowm Member Posts: 76
    ".... you are spoiled for life after getting your first Bimmer."

As a first time BMW owner (2005 530i), that pretty well sums up my feelings. The fresh, bold design (E60) caught my eye and, after one test drive, I was hooked big time! I can only hope that others get as much enjoyment driving their car as I get driving mine.

Martin
    Nothing in this price range drives like the E60.
    Add the fresh, bold and aggressively feline design and you have an irresistible package.
    Judging from the impressive E60 October sales figures, plenty of people agree.
  • warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    And how often do your friends tell you your new suit/wife/house is UGLY?
  • hullhull Member Posts: 10
    Manual is the main reason to buy a 5 series. The 5-series is the only mid-size 4-door luxury car to offer a manual transmission at this time (unless you count the Cadalac CTS). I wouldn't worry to much about re-sale. If you like manuals and want a car with room for 4 adults and a well balanced ride, this is the car to get.
    Trust me, warthog, I have friends who are defined by the cliche "with friends like these, who needs enemies". I know when I gain weight because they tell me, I know when I look like a geek because they tell me, and if they did not like the way the 530xi looks, they sure as heck would tell me! I love them all!
    Three words for you, flatout18, GET THE MANUAL!

I have a 2006 530xi Manual Transmission (my first every BMW), and I am in heaven every time I get to drive the car. I got away from driving a manual for a few years, and I am delighted to be back. AWD and Manual Transmission in a car that looks and drive as well as the 530xi -- what more could I want?!

And, like Shipo said, I don't anticipate any resale problems down the road (although I don't care too much about that because I plan on keeping this baby for a while). By the way, Shipo was a great help while I was making my decision. I trust his judgement.
    You like "Feline", eh?! I always wanted to own a Jaguar as a kid because of the cat-like stance, and I am glad that BMW has come up with the current 5 design.

When I first bought the car I sent an email to my buddies with the Subject Message: "Warning: Black Panther sighted in MA". As you can imagine, the body of the message was a shot of my black 530xi! Three buddies came over the next weekend to check it out.

BTW, I have three young kids, and their favorite features are the sunshades in the rear windows (including the auto one in the back), and the auto up-and-down for all four windows. Go figure! Where does that innocence go?!
    I agree. My friends never hesistate to tell me exactly how they feel. In fact, my best friend is the only one that has any reservations about my car. He doesn't mind how it looks, but he's not in love with how hi-tech it is. He's what I would call technically challenged so iDrive is scary to him. Otherwise though, everyone loves, not just likes, the way my 545 looks. The funny thing is, I think my wife's new A6 Avant has a much nicer looking interior, but she thinks my car has a nicer interior. Goes to show that different strokes for different folks is the rule of the day when it comes to cars.
  • shescomeundoneshescomeundone Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced any issues with the new body style 5 series (2004-2006). I'm hearing that this particular redesign is littered with issues. My car has 6800 miles and has been in for repair on several occasions - window malfunction, steering wheel vibration, and now a complete iDrive failure. The screen went completely blank. Dealer told me that BMW is coming out with a new replacement part for the iDrive screen since it's been a consistent issues across the board. Dealer has no idea how long it will take to get in the part since it hasn't yet been released. I've been in a loaner vehicle for 10 days now and getting more and more frustrated by the day. Any advice? Any similar experiences? I'd really appreciate the feedback...

Thanks.
    Yeah. So high-tech I have to change the clock manually for DST/ST.
    Thankfully, iDrive makes the adjustment simple in just a matter of seconds.
    Got my 545 on August 1, 2005.
    No problems.
  • flatout18flatout18 Member Posts: 9
    Manual it is. Now the question is lease or buy. I generally buy my cars because I keep them for a long time. However, I am a little more concerned with purchasing the BMW b/c of the cost of repairs. I understand there is an extended warranty available but I am not sure how much that would be. Just want to get some thoughts. Anybody know what the extended warranty program would cost? How about the extended maintenance program.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Anybody know what the extended warranty program would cost? How about the extended maintenance program.

The extended warranty is in the neighborhood of $2200+... The maintenance is around $1200 or so. The latter is a deal, IMO, if you keep the car up to 100k miles. Between brakes/rotors and multiple service intervals, that $1200 is easily obtained.
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    They definitely need to come out with more exterior colors. I really like the Kahala offered in the X,6,and 7-series. I am quite tire of looking at silver, grey, black or white color 5's.

Anyone know if BMW has a history of adding new colors during the mid to latter years of a production cycle (every 8 years before new style) for a particular vehicle?
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Yes, we did take the 5er and enjoyed every one of the 10 days down there. Had exceptionally good food down in the south bay. I hadn't replied because I wanted to wait till I got my new Michelin PS2's on my car which I did today. I drove a few miles just to see how they handled and I'm here to say that they are a very good choice for the 5er. It is a very " happy cooker ". Nice quiet ride with great performance. Hope you've gotten your new bumper all squared away and all is well. Life is good. :)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    My Mom has an '05 530iA that she's had since last December (almost a year now). She's got close to 14K miles on the car and it hasn't seen the inside of the service department yet.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Excellent!

The car has made it past, oh, I don't know, 5-10% of its life without ending up beside the road dead.

Alert the media.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Extended warranties and maintenance programs are based on averages with profit and commissions added. Most people will save money not buying either. The advantage is you know what your costs will be, like leasing, for a certain term. The disadvantage is you may have discussions concerning normal wear and tear versus abuse.

Using your estimates, it costs $3400 for an additional 50,000 miles; 6.8 cents per mile. Kiplinger estimates for BMWs are around this figure, but include tires.

My 2002 530i has 60,000 miles, no warranty or maintenance issues to date and I estimate covered services would have cost less than $1000. I'm self insuring.
    I've had my 545 since July, 2004 with no problems. Just a couple of recalls which are typical when any car gets redesigned. My only complaint is the crappy tires which are so loud now I'm changing them next spring regardless of tread depth. Other than that though it's been a great car.
    Wow, this really bothers you doesn't it? As you said, it's easy to adjust the time in iDrive anyway (took a grand total of about 5 seconds), and in newer 5's it does adjust for DST automatically. So it seems like a non-issue to me. Check out my previous post for a real problem. I hope you don't have Dunlop run-flats on your 545 like I do on mine. Not fun to pay for new tires when these only have about 12,000 miles on them (an estimate because the car has 16,000 miles on it, but I have winter tires too).
    What bothers me is in a car where I can press a button to contact BMW and they can instantly locate my car, I still have to manually change the clock.
    Even my crappy, old VCR changed the time back to ST.
    It's just the idea that they didn't think to do that by 2005 E60's. It would have been nice.
    I don't really mind doing it, but....

No Dunlops. I have the non-sport package Continentals. They are not run-flats.
    Same brand as I had on my last 325i.
    They were excellent on my 325i and expect them to be very good on my E60 as well.
    No problems with the tires after almost 3.5 months.
    Next year it will be interesting to find out how the clock changes automatically. I suspect it is a computer program with a calendar, but does it know that DST will last till the 3rd weekend in November instead of the last weekend in October.