Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    So it's official that they're going to change DST? (Why not just get rid of it all together?)
  • isabelleisabelle Member Posts: 3
    ...has anyone ordered a 2006 550i in the Texas area?
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Because that would be too easy!
  • gohorns1gohorns1 Member Posts: 53
    Not trying to get (too) political, but isn't it amazing that the government is so powerful it can actually change time (i thought only superman could do that)
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Kiplinger Auto Issue came yesterday. Their listings for 5 year service costs were just under $3000 for 5 Series, just over $3000 for 3 Series and the 3 Series iX was over $5000. Another consideration for those that have to have AWD.
  • juniorbmwjuniorbmw Member Posts: 29
    For a 530 that is still under warranty, how often is the user entitled to an updated navigation DVD?

I'm in an area where new builds are going up & the NAV doesn't reflect them 'cause the DVD is not up to date.

Does one have to pay for an updated DVD or simply request one from BMW or service?
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    You actually have to pay Navteq. No freebies, I believe.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    That's interesting... Considering the only out-of-pocket expenses for BMWs for the first 4 years is tires, it seems like it'd be tough to get to $5000 in that one remaining year.
  • joewagon06joewagon06 Member Posts: 2
    :) Sapphire Black, Black Leather with Black anthracite trim, Premium package, Winter package, Auto., Satellite radio, Sun Shades, IPod hard wired to radio, Push Button Start.
    Now to get the keys from my wife :confuse:
    You have to realize that anything BMW covers was prepaid when you bought or leased the car. The main point I want to make is that maintenance on an AWD BMW is approximately 67% more than a RWD BMW.

Another thing, when BMW went to "free" maintenance they lengthened their maintenance intervals. Most recommendations I've read exceed BMW's recommendations.
  • cpanagcpanag Member Posts: 8
    shipo or hpowders....
    Bought the 03 540i Sport 18'' rims. Winter is coming here in Chicago. What do you recommend for winter tires?
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Problem is, with a BMW if something serious goes, i.e., the automatic tranny, your goose is cooked. With my 4runner, I self insure. With a BMW I would pass off the risk.
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    While you did not ask me, with mine I went to a different set of wheels/tires for a few reasons: First, I really, really like the M Sport wheels, so wanted them off the car for winters, second, the 18" low profile tire does not really lend itself to a good snow tire, and third, bolt on/bolt off is a whole lot easier than dismount/remount.

All that said, I use a 16" wheel with Bridgestone Blizzaks. I used the LM22s for two winters, and they have been fine, and they look like I can use them one more season, however I might change to something else, just to see what else is out there.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Which winter tires? Depends on the wheels. Which winter wheels & tires? The best bet would be something as close as possible to the set that I got for my 2002 530i SP (which has the exact same suspension as the 2003 540i SP), a copy of the TireRack order confirmation follows:

Listed below are the items you ordered and other details of your order.

Qty Size and Description Availability Price Each
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -
    4 16x7.5 Borbet Type H Silver Back Ordered $134.00
    20 Required lugbolt for vehicle In Stock N/C
    4 225/55QR-16 Michelin Arctic-Alpin In Stock $104.00
    1 Tire warranty packet In Stock N/C
    4 Mount and balance - no charge

Shipping Method: UPS HUNDRED WT
    Shipping Out of: Delaware

Order Total: $1,007.11

Vehicle: 02 BMW 530i Sedan Sport Pkg

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    HEY!

Those are MY five spoke Borbets!

;)
    Hey, I resemble that remark! ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    First, my 530i is a 5 speed.

You know BMW makes money selling extended maintenance agreements and extended warranties. I think the original post quoted $3400 for both. I'm sure 30% to 50% is profit, commissions and overhead for the programs. That leaves approximately $2000 for covered services and repairs.

I'm sure some transmissions fail before 100,000 miles, but I am also sure that most fail after 100,000 miles. Extended maintenace and warranties are basically pay me now instead of pay me later and are based on averages. Some people will come out ahead, most people will lose money; but BMW will always comes out ahead.
  • rainmaker2rainmaker2 Member Posts: 14
    I'm trying to decide between buying a 2005 530 which I could potentially get at invoice, versus going for a new 2006. Do all the 2006's have the new 3.0 L engine with 255 horsepower? Somebody has told me that the new engine won't be going into the car until the second half of 2006, but I don't see how half of a model year has the old engine and half has the more powerful engine. Can somebody please clarify?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    All 2006 models have the new 255 hp engine... I would be hard-pressed to buy the '05, considering the horsepower difference..

In my opinion, there will be a sharp demarcation in resale values between the two models, in a few more years...

That didn't make the '05 a bad buy last year... but, it would at this time, I think..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    I think Kyfdx makes a very valid point. Also, in my humble opinion, the 2006 525 is a better buy than a 05 530, since the 2006 525 gets the NEW engine and additional horsepower. I believe the 06 525 is at 215 horsepower compared with 225 on the 05 530. But, I bet the new engine design makes up the slight difference.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Get the '06. The money you save up front buying the '05 will be well offset by the depreciation gap between the two model years going forward - so TCO should be better on the '06 and you will smiling broadly every time you hit the accelerator!
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I just replaced my aging Michelin Pilot Alpins with Dunlop Winter Sport M3s. I have not had any snow experience with them but overall they ride better, are quieter, handle wet better, and handle well even at high speeds. I will see when the white stuff lands.
  • ktranktran Member Posts: 10
    I am looking into leasing a 2006 530i in the SoCal area for my wife. I would like your feedback on whether I should get the Sport Package option for her. She is not an aggressive driver. Other than the Lexus SUV that we have, she has never driven any car more than 200 hp. Please help me understand if we would be missing something critical if we do not get the Sport package.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    Given her history I'm thinking that the 530i with the standard suspension will be more than enough car for her. What she will be lacking will be the sport seats with the bolstered sides, lower suspension, more aggressive summer/performance tires and a few other trim goodies and such. In exchange she will get a car that is easier to enter and exit (for some), a slightly more compliant ride and tires that last more than twice as long.

I say save your money and don't get the SP. Considering that I'm a fan of BMW's SP setup and would never order a BMW without it, these are strong words indeed. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • yurygyuryg Member Posts: 15
    I'm about to purchase 530xi, and have a question to which no dealer has been able to provide a definite answer - does the car have a speed sensitive stereo volume? Some of the answers I got were "No", "Only with moonroof open", "I think so".

While we're on the stereo topic, is there much difference in sound quality between stock stereo and optional logic7?
    Thanks
    I am curious about opinions on these two choices. A New 05 525i and a used 05 530i with equal options are pretty close in price. The New 06 525 has the New engine and now has 214 horsepower. The 05 530i has the previous engine and 225 horsepower. Which one would you choose and why?
    The 2005 530i may only have 10 more horsepower (225 vs. 215), however, said horsepower comes at a significantly lower RPM threshold (4900 vs. 6250), making the power much more usable. As if to underscore the above, the older engine also produces 29 more lb-ft of torque (214 vs. 185), so my bet it that the 2005 530i will be a noticeable better performer.

I suggest that you drive both cars and see which motor you like the best.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    Yes, if you go into iDrive to the entertainment settings there is a menu option for the level of speed volume adjustment you want. I have mine set to the minimum which is enough for me. I haven't listened to stock vs. Logic7, but my car has Logic7 and I like it a lot. I know others here don't think much of it, but I can't complain. I'm not much of an audiophile though!
    I would like opinions on what options you would choose for a New 5 Series BMW. Here are the list of of options: Automatic, Sport Package, Premium package, Premium Sound Package, Navigation, Dynamic Cruise Control, Active Steering, Comfort Access (Keyless Entry), HUD (Heads Up Display), Xeons (standard on 530), Premium Sound, Rear Side Air Bags, Rear Seat Fold down, Cold Weather Package (heated front seats, steering wheel, head lamp washers), rear heated seats, comfort seats, power rear sun shade, parking sensors.

I think I would get the following options:

Automatic
    Sport Package
    Premium Package
    Navigation
    HUD
    Xeons (If I got 525, they are standard on 530)
    Rear Seat Fold Down
    Rear Side Airbags? (toss up, I want information as to pros and cons of these)

I would pass on the following:

Cold Weather Package and Heated Rear Seats ( I live in California)
    Premium Sound, I don't think it is worth the $1800 upgrade price, stock stereo system sounds fine to me
    Dynamic Cruise Control (regular Cruise Control is just fine)
    Active Steering ( to much computer control of driving)
    Comfort Access ( no big deal)
    Rear Side Airbags (this one is a toss up, I would take them if they are very beneficial)
    Comfort seats (already have sports seats)
    Power Rear Sun Shade (not that big of deal)
    Parking Sensors (not that big of deal)
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I would not want the automatic and I will keep any further comments (save one) to myself on that option -- it seems to start too many arguments. The one comment, if you are getting a BMW for pity's sake, its ONE main differentiator, and the biggest one, the unsubtle one, is that it can be had with a stick, while other cars in this "class" cannot.

OK, having that off my chest, we have the parking sensors and they CAN BE a big deal.

I cannot tell you how many times my parking sensors have saved me a $300 "polishing fee" on my Audi A6. Our X3 has the front and rear sensors and they are great for pulling into your garage (front) and for the other reasons that are obvious for the rear.

Other than the latter "big" one and the former personal preference, I would agree with your comments.

One question: does the 5 come with servotronic steering if you don't get "active steering?"
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    -... -- .--

In general I’m not a fan of options. In my opinion they are little more than a profit center that offer limited value. Yuryg… I haven’t tested the sound systems on recent BMWs but have tested plenty of others including older BMWs. To me, the costlier sound systems do not justify the price. But sound is easy enough to test. Just bring your CDs and trust what you hear. You don’t need butt-kickin’ bass in a car and you don’t need overly crisp tweeters since most sound is in the mid range anyway and should be balanced accordingly.

As far as options affecting resale, it has been pretty much acknowledged by most people that you don’t recover what you pay for them when selling your car. Yet people think they are missing out on something if they don’t indulge. A base BMW has everything you need and I think it will sell just as fast as a highly-option version after it has been used.

Too much tech in cars. Have we forgotten about the great simple pleasures, like just getting up on a horse and riding without a friggin’ iPod or cell phone connected to your head, like knowing where you are by way of the Big Dipper and location of moss on a tree, like the feel of road grip and lateral g forces on the bimmer?

Just 2 cents worth of perspective from an old Boy Scout.

Oh and yes, a gold star for the first person to translate the Morse Code at the top of this post.

;-)
    Mark, thank you for your reply. I understand and respect your desire for a stick. :) I do a lot of city driving, so an automatic is the right choice for me. But, for pure driving pleasure, no question about it, a stick is the best option. Thank you for the comment on the parking sensors. You make a good point.
    Morse Code: -... -- .-- = BMW

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Power Rear Sun Shade (not that big of deal)

This option is key for states with lots of sun.

It will keep your car cooler and protect the back seat area from the sun.

I use mine everyday.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129

Yes, of course, of course. Our class valedictorian does it again!

(Now come clean Shipo. Did you know this or look it up on the web like I did? Actually, there was a time when I knew it by heart.)

;-)
    Seloo, thanks for the suggestion. Your point is well taken. What about the other options I had listed. Do you agree, disagree, would you add anything or delete anything? Thanks.
    "(Now come clean Shipo. Did you know this or look it up on the web like I did? Actually, there was a time when I knew it by heart.)"

Teehee... I used to know them as well, and still recognised "B" and since memory didn't tell me that the other two weren't "M" & "W", I guessed.

Just after I made my post it occured to me to look them up (and edit my post if I had been wrong). ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Our X3 has the servotronic steering option (and on an X3 it is $250); my 2005 A6 has it too.

I can't find (but have only looked casually) the information about this technology on the 5's -- do you need to buy the active steering to get servotronic?

Servotronic is (or should be) standard on this class of cars -- it is worth extra. I can't comment with respect to its possible value at a couple of thousand dollars, though.

Subsequent to our order of an X3 with this option, the purchasing manager at our local BMW store claimed that all stock BMW X3's would be ordered with this option.

Several reviews of the X3 have mentioned the servotronic steering as have many articles about "cars in general."

It would seem that ALL BMW's should come with servotronic if it can be had at full list price of $250 (and one must assume that includes profit and is at that price point, in part, due to its cost to manufacture.) Further, it would seem "logical" to assume that if they all came with servotronic, the price per would drop due to a certain economy of scale.

One last ?, how do you get 18" wheels and tires on a 5 without forking over more than $3,000? At least the sport package option on the X3 upsizes the wheels and tires at what would seem to be an almost bargain price and the sport wheels that come with this package are quite attractive.

I configured a 525xi today and short of clicking an over $3000 option box, it seems that a $55K 5 will come with 17" wheels and tires? Can this be so?
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I have found that I get use to what ever I have for the radio...At first though, I find the extra for the upgraded stereo does make quite an improvement...If you don`t get it you`l be happy, but if you do you`l be happier...Further I have gotten along without the parking sensor, but once you have it, you`l really miss it if you don`t..Tony
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    I also agree with the Parking Sensor System, once you have it you cannot never go back to a car without it.
  • turnbowmturnbowm Member Posts: 76
    Do yourself a favor and take some of your favorite CDs to the dealer and listen to them with the stock sound system and with the Premium (Logic 7) Sound system. I think that you will be suitably impressed by the audible difference.

FWIW, the Premium Sound option buys you a 7-band equalizer, 13 speakers (including two subwoofers), simulated surround sound and a 6-CD changer. IMHO, money well spent!
    The dealer sales folks are getting better all the time. I took a new Acura out for a test drive (the TL); and, the sales rep sent the lot-"boy" (college student or intern might be a more apt name, but they called him a lot boy so who am I?) to get the car we asked for.

The car was "warmed up and cooled down." The engine was allowed to reach proper operating temp and the interior was allowed to reach a comfortable temp too.

But, cleverly (?), the car had been set to play the DVD-audio demo disk (and it was playing when we opened the door.) To this day I have not heard a better sounding system and only the Infiniti M that I nearly bought also had DVD-audio. If I bought cars based significantly on their sound systems this DVD-audio system in the Acura would have clinched the deal.

A great sound system in a car significantly "improves the performance" (in every way) of a car -- perception IS reality.

Now, in the case of the Acura TL, it was a rainy day and we had asked for a lux and sported up version with a stick shift and even the fantastic sound system could not mask the incredible, disconcerting and frankly dangerous torque steer this car "offers" -- especially on a slick, rain-covered street in suburban Cincinnati.

Even then, we had three "regular" CD's with us, however -- but wow that DVD-audio demo disk was an audio spectacular.

Now, here is what we do: We bring 3 CD's and 2 DVD-audio disks with us when we take cars out for a test drive.

Today, however, I would also think it would behoove the auto retailers to encourage their cars to be tested with sat radio active. In the Audi audio premium version of the sound system, only in CD and sat radio can "surround sound and 'Audio Pilot'" (a Bose technology) be turned on -- regular AM and FM need not apply for the full-on aural experience.

Also, with all the sound contouring software these high-zoot systems afford, it is important to set the sound's parameters between the various cars you test (even those from the same mfg) as close as possible to the same.

In the case of our new BMW X3, the "normal sound system" is not merely lame it is inadequate and disappointing in a car that can easily be optioned to over $50,000.

At least for the test drives if not the actual ownership, the customer should be allowed to take a "blind taste test." The standard systems even at this price level generally suck from a little to a lot, while even the first upgraded system offered (sometimes for less than $1,000 MSRP) is a huge improvement.

All of these comments, of course, are totally personal and personality based.

If you listen 90% or more to talk radio, some of these comments, well, apply not so much. If you listen to books on CD with little background music or few sound effects, ditto.

If you listen to classical, jazz, rock, country, new age or blues (or, like us, all of the above) a $675 sound system upgrade (or even a $2,000 upgrade) are worth every last penny.

You can discern the difference between a system that "has no highs, has no lows" and one that provides clean deep bass and crystal clear (non-blurry) highs in addition to a strong mid-range.

I am convinced the only place most folks listen to music critically is in their cars -- long gone are the days when folks (most folks) buy a new CD, sit in the sweet spot of their home sound system and listen for 45 minutes, doing nothing else. A car generally requires that the driver sit in "the sweet spot" for the duration -- what better way, what better place to hear, really hear and appreciate the new ColdPlay album or LedZep Unplugged or The Boston or Cincinnati Pop's rendition of the 1812?

Not including my high def TV, my home sound system and speaker arrays exceed $40,000 in cost; and, I rarely "sit still" long enough to appreciate a new (or old) album.

My Audi A6 with the premium sound and my wife's X3 also with the upgraded system clearly are the best places to listen to Dire Straits, U2, Mozart or Marc Antoine.

And, all things considered, at a fraction of the cost.

Do take your favorite CD's along for test drives -- and, increasingly, spring for a couple of DVD-audio discs "just in case."

:shades:
    I want to thank everyone for their great replies. I would love to hear additional comments, or replies from others as well. So, please fee free to chime in. I will test out the standard audio system against the Logic 7 upgrade with a couple of CD's. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I got my car back today with the second new bumper cover and the darn thing still doesn't fit right. It has a "dip" in it under the license plate area and another slight one to the right of that spot. What is the chance that the bumper itself was damaged in such a manner that the cover doesn't fit and that the adjuster can't see the damage? I am thinking that maybe an entirely new bumper is the issue. Then maybe the cover will fit. What are your thoughts? (The body shop doesn't want to put anything foreign into the bumper when I told them about your high density foam fix.) I will be stopping by the shop on Monday to ask for the receipts on the two covers to be sure they are genuine BMW parts. I also contacted the insurance co to let them know that the issue remains.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The problem IS the cover-not the underlying impact bar. If the shop doesn't want to go the foam route, calmly inform them that they'll be ordering, painting, and installing new rear covers until they get one that fits perfectly. I think my shop ordered three from BMW and none of them were right.
  • pat1122pat1122 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 BMW 530i and had battery replace and eversince than, my car won't start in the morning. I had the battery replace and wehn that did not fix the problem, I took it to the dealer and had them check out./ They did not find anything wrong, but the car still will not start it is left overnight. Any idea why I am having this proble,?
  • mahoganymahogany Member Posts: 2
    IT'S OFFICIAL, I PURCHASED A LEMON :cry::cry:
    Once again while driving along in my new 2006 525XI it began to shake violently and cut off. How embarassing, here I am in the middle of the street in this beautiful looking car and cannot get to my destination. What An Experience! I'm furious this is the third time that this particular problem has occurred each time I left the dealership I was assured that the car was repaired. This is their final try and I will be demanding my money back to go purchase something a little more reliable. Three months of ownership, this car definitely is not fit for the purpose intended. :mad:
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    As this is the third time, `what was the diagnosis for the first time and was the same diagnosis for the second time`?? Before you put yourself through an ordeal, possibly a highly qualified `different` mechanic would see the problem from a different angle....You have a wonderful car--much desired by many people--so you have to believe that the car can be fixed....One human to another I am sorry this is happening to you, with a brand new car...Tony
    One of my wife's colleagues had a similar issue with a new 2005 A6 3.2.

Deal: we take your 2005 A6 back and offer you a new A6 and if we can't find one, we'll order you one (a 2006) and in the meantime you can use a SWB A8.

This person is now a walking advertisement for Audi and someone, somehow at Audi was able to "eventually" diagnose and repair the ailing Audi.

I would suspect BMW will at least equal this kind of treatment.

On the other hand, you could try "four strikes and you're out!" as long as this is the agreed upon approach.

BTW, it probably should be noted that my wife's colleague is a lawyer and although he never did anything that would threaten the dealership or the company, it probably didn't hurt with respect to his ability to "argue" his position.

He actually got a bit more car (content) by taking this approach.

His frustration was temporary and high, but his compensation was more than adequate to make him quickly forget his ordeal.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Thanks for your reply. I'll keep pressing on until I am satisfied.