Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    As a confirmed (& documented) Luddite, I have shunned almost all options offered for cars in this class. I enjoy the base-level amenities & have no use for much of the rest.

That said, I enjoy listening to music of all types while I drive. The car I'm in today has only audio options. Otherwise, it's a rubber floor mat special.

The fact that BMW offers a-la-carte options (including a manual transmission) is why I continue to follow this and the 3 board.

Reliability issues continue to concern the miniscule shred of us who actually buy cars and keep them a long time, however.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • yurygyuryg Member Posts: 15
    Thank you. I tried both the stock and the logic7 system, and the premium is noticeably better, especially if set to "Concert Hall" setting. Surprisingly, premium stereo is rather rare even though it adds only about $20/month on a lease.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    What are the opinions on Active Steering? Do you guys recommend getting this option, or skipping this option? Isn't the regular BMW steering pretty darn good?
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    That's more difficult for me to answer than I would think it would be. I loved the steering on the 330xi I used to have (no AS obviously), and AS took a little while to get used to. Now that I am used to it though I have to say I really like it. In fact, cars without it feel sluggish with their steering response now (especially at low speeds). At higher speeds I feel no difference between it and standard steering. I guess if I had to pay for it I would pass (it came with my 545 with SP), but since I didn't have to I like it just fine.
  • ktranktran Member Posts: 10
    Thanks Shipo. We went back and test drove the 530i with and without the Sport package and decided that we like the non-sport better. Your observations about the Sport package were pretty on target. We are picking up the car later today since the dealer had to swap the car with another dealer to get us the color/option we wanted.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I drove a couple of 6ers with and without AS. While the AS did help on low speed turns, I also noticed less steering feel in the AS car. There's a reason the M5 and M6 don't use AS.
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Doug, my 2¢ on your option list (I've got an '02 530, stick, non-sport, with PP).

Much as I like driving these cars with a stick shift, the new six-speed autos are quite comparable, performance-wise, and I've become a little more concerned about getting killed at trade time for having a stick (just bear in mind that something like only 15% of drivers can handle one, and that really cuts down the potential resale audience for these expensive cars.) I know, I know, I'm buying the car for me, not the next guy, but it makes the car somehow feel "ill-liquid". And maybe I'm just getting lazier.

I'm long on record saying don't spring for the Sport package, since I think these cars are sporty enough without it. But I'm in the midwest where I'm not interested in bi-annual wheel/tire changes, and our roads are crappy, so stiffer suspension/tires are not so great. But it's not exactly like the sport package is free, either, and ride quality is, uhhh, stiffer.

Xenons and fold-down rear seats both worthwhile. So is Cold Weather, but that's in the midwest. PP gives you some things (leather, sunroof) you might get anyway. Navigation is a lot of fun, but I think you get gouged to have it. HUD seems unnecessary, but if you've got the $$ burning a hole in your pocket...

While some like Active Steering, plenty of testers seem satisfied without it, many reports that it diminishes "feel", and it is not offered on the M5, which must say something.

I think you're right to skip the "comfort" features, and almost $2k for a better sound system is money I'd put right back in the money market fund, but I admit I'm no audiophile. I skipped the rear air bags, I rarely have rear seat passengers, and I question whether this would be important at resale time.

All in all, I think you're on the right track, although as somebody observed, a "stripped" 5-series is a damn fine car that offers 90%+ of the driving experience of one that's been optioned-out. In this spirit, I think it makes sense to show some restraint with the options on any car, lest you add $10,000 to the price of a car that inherently is worth about the same as one without all those options.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Somebody mentioned the Mark Levinson system people rave about. I spent some time with it this past weekend. Big ripoff in my opinion. I find the stock system on my E39 530 to be better with more clarity. Bass dominates on the Levinson. No matter which adjustments I made, everything sounded like James Earl Jones with a pillow over his mouth. I specifically asked the dealer, are you SURE that car has the Levinson? He said yes, all of our LSs do, we rarely stock them without it because everyone wants it. I’m thinking, sure, follow the crowd down to the bottom of the Poseidon.

I also had a Carrera loaner for five days. It had the optioned Bose system. It also sucks. The optioned system I kind of liked was the McIntosh on the Subies. However the tweeters were so-o in your face, but they were very adjustable as was the entire system.

Will try to get to the systems on the new 5s this weekend. Been wanting to drive the 6 and 7 anyway.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I tried the Levinson when I drove the GS430 6 months ago. It was no big deal.
    I also tried the upgraded Bose sound system on the 2006 330i and found it was no big deal either.
    To be fair, you probably have to put in the time to set the equalizers just right which neither dealer obviously did.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I found the ML system to be cristal clear but lacking in the base--the 530xi with premium to be much better than it and the bose in the Audi..Tony
    Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I appreciate it very much. I think you made some great suggestions. I have decided to eliminate HUD. It is just not needed. I have been reading as much as I can about options, and the HUD is cool, but it is not something that is needed.

In regards to rear side airbags, I am still on the fence with this option. I am trying to find some definitive source as to their safety benefits. But, I know BMW has you sign a liability waiver if they are installed and activated, so maybe there are some dangers with them.

Active Steering is something I considered, but as of right now, I am not opting for it. Opinions run in both directions on this issue. But, the 530 and 525 I test drove were not equipped with active steering, and the steering felt great. You make a good point about the M5 not having active steering.

Premium Audio, wow, it is a $1800 upgrade price. I just did not hear an $1800 difference with my ears. Maybe, it is just me. But, I agree with you. The $1800 can be used elsewhere.

The sport package, well I live in California, and I love the look of the sport package, and the Active Roll Stabilization of the Sport package.

You are also right about the price of options. They can ZOOM up fast. So, I am trying to be smart about what I choose. Thus, I am asking for opinions from BMW people such as yourself, and doing research. Thanks again
  • turnbowmturnbowm Member Posts: 76
    The Mark Levinson system in the GS300 and LS430 was a BIG disappointment to me and the wife. Sounded anemic and lifeless compared to the Logic 7 system in my 530i.

FWIW, the Nakamichi system in my wife's '98 Lexus even sounded better than the ML systems. This pleases me no end, as she is no longer talking about a new car.
    To be fair, you probably have to put in the time to set the equalizers just right which neither dealer obviously did.

Dealer? I’m not following you. Who needs them to set the sound system? I spend more than enough time with it. My routine is to first set the speaker balance and fade, then go to the equalizer, or simple treble and bass in the case of the basic systems. Then I plug in some differential calculus, quantum physics equations, light the rocket fuse and voila… music! The LS has bass, midrange and treble controls. It really is quite simple, especially with that delightful touch screen. But it’s all in the quality of the speakers. Didn’t like them. They’re raking in the bucks with that system. I am quite happy with the basic low-rent setup in my 530. BMW did a good job with it. I hope it is still good in the newer models.
    A-ha. I'm not nuts after all!

;-)
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    I have a 2003 530SP with the DSP upgraded system. I found some discussion boards some time back where some audiophile types posted equalizer settings for the 3 programmable programs that deliver the best performance. Believe one had actually used some sound testing equipment in the car to measure frequency performance. I wrote down the settings and can post them for each of the equalizer frequency settings if anyone desires...
    By all means, and thanks. Do these also apply to my 03 without the upgraded system?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . . that many options will be 100% personal and emotional, are in the previous few posts.

I have found that the upgraded sound systems are substantially better than the base-level systems. And, I cannot dtermine their value, but I know their costs.

The upgrade on my wife's 2005 X3 was MSRP $675 and the differences are huge. My last 27 Audis all had the upgraded sound systems, but on my most recent A6, there were no non-premium system cars to compare, they ALL had premium sound.

I liked the Infiniti M35x's system and the Acura's system (both "premium and upgrades") over the Audi system. Those companies that elect to partner with Bose have 3 versions (at least) that they can opt -- Infiniti went with the best of Bose (and you may think this statement is proof that their systems are crap, generally I would agree that the phrase "no highs, no lows, must be Bose" is apt -- but NOT in this case.)

The BMW X's or at least the X3 may use something totally different, beats me -- I can just tell you that the basic sound system in this BMW is "fair" -- probably fine for AM mono radio and marginal for AM stereo.

One of my former business associates bought his BMW solely for the upgraded sound system he could get (and it was over a $1500 upgrade.) He, at the time, liked the SAAB offering better as a car but went with the BMW because of the "great bass" the upgraded system offered.

It takes all kinds.

Servotronic as a technology is a great improvement over non-servotronic steering and it is worth additional cost; you, can determine if this technology is part of BMW's normal steering or not, I don't know.

If it is not, then whatever option offers it IS worth it.

Rear park sensors are worthwhile especially at their price point.

But, with full disclosure: I am in favor of most technology package-type offerings. And, I usually find most comfort offerings add complexity but not comfort.

Conversely, I find that most sport options improve almost everything.

Our X3 has the sport package, my new Audi has the upgraded wheels and tires but the normal suspension -- my only regret.

Personal pref rules.
  • freddybbfreddybb Member Posts: 95
    I got the software recall/update on my 2006 530xi last week and it has the following benefits:

1. Got rid of the annoying "High Battery Drain" message that a number of us got used to seeing every morning! Now I hope that it was not really a battery drain problem that is simply being ignored :-)

2. RDS on the radio works fine now, even with Navigation, premium CD changer, etc. I really had no idea what RDS was until now -- shows the call signs, station name, and in some cases even the song or program title and song lyrics (or am I misreading the lyrics?).

3. Before the update two "@" symbols were showing up on my Bluetooth phone list after each and ever entry (e.g., John Smith@@ are gone now (at least I haven't seen them yet!).

I also had them put in an AUX audio input in the glovebox for my iPod. Not ideal, because the tracks don't show up on the iDrive display, but it will have to do for now until they bring out full iPod integration for the new 5 series.
  • swlswl Member Posts: 5
    I am considering a 530xi sedan w/cold wea,premium pkg, nav,park distance, sat radio, rear sunshade. I am in Ohio so I like the idea of AWD, currently have an Audi A6 4.2. Can you let me know how you like yours and what kind of lease deal you may know about. Thanks, swl.
  • freddybbfreddybb Member Posts: 95
    My 530xi is very similarly equipped and I got the manual transmission. I absolutely love the car and enjoy driving it every single day. Makes me want to find excuses to drive around. I purchased mine and therefore have no idea about lease deals.
  • jo2jo2 Member Posts: 41
    Just picked up my 2006 530i with premium/sport/nav and noticed the other morning that there was a build up of condensation on the fog lights in the air dam. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also has anyone had any problems with IDRIVE freezing up when going to your phone book to make a phone call? If so is there any way to restart the IDRIVE? Or do you just have to turn off the car?

Finally I screwed up and didn't get the premium sound but has anyone noticed that their radio doesn't get all that great reception?

Any info would be greatly appreciated....
  • swlswl Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the input.
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    I don't think you screwed up by not getting the premium sound, since I don't think it has a receiver that is any more sensitive than stock--just amps/speakers/etc. that have more juice. To be fair, I think the culprit is the elegant, inconspicuous attenna-in-the-glass--I just don't think they get as good of reception as the old "mast" style attennas (but they sure look better--let's hear it for style over substance!)
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    The antenna in the glass also cannot be broken by (sour-grapes wielding?) vandals, nor is there any motor to break down. Let's hear it for practicality! ;)
  • rainmaker2rainmaker2 Member Posts: 14
    I'm about to go into a dealer to purchase a 530, and I've been told by several friends that they will try to sell me a lot of extras. I'm not sure of the exact names of the packages, but does anyone have thoughts on...

1. Extended Warranty
    2. "Dent Protection" (I think they repair 7 dents within five years or something like that)
    3. Tire Replacement
    4. Lo-Jack

I'm not sure I'd be interested in getting any of these. Aren't they just a waste of money?
    Don't get the Lo-Jack for sure. BMW comes standard now with BMW assist most of the time which includes a vehicle recovery system if I am not mistaken.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    How long are you planning to keep the car? IMO, if you are going to keep the car for, say, 100k miles, then the extended maintenance plan is a deal. I think the 530i is something like $1200-$1400, and it cover all oil changes, scheduled maintenance, brakes & rotors, belts, hoses, etc.... When you figure that you'll probably replace all the stuff (at least $1000 worth of parts/labor), and you'll have to do a #2 maintenance (I think around $700), plus oil changes every 15k at $100 a pop... you'll easily recoup your money and then some.
    The tire replacement if it includes wheels MAY be worthwhile -- pot holes kill these car's wheels and they are expensive.
    Hi everyone. I love this Forum! I am purchasing a 06 530i. I am having a heck of a time choosing the exterior color, which will dictate interior color. I am torn and I mean torn between Black Sapphire Metallic, Silver Grey Metallic, and Grey Titanium Metallic. I keep going back and forth between all three of these colors. I would really appreciate some honest opinions from you good folks. Thank you.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    The dark colors are difficult to keep clean looking, so I would stay away from the black..The black looks great when it has been freshly washed, but usually only last a day or so..Tony
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Extended maintenance is not the extended warranty. You can check your owners manual for scheduled maintenance from 50000 miles to 100000 miles, it is not as much as you think. There is also a time factor, I believe 6 years. I think this is the third time I've said this, but most people will not come out ahead. Some will, but BMW has a profit % and there is a commission % built in. BMW will not maintain your car out of kindness.
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    I have a Silver Grey Metallic 545i and I love the color. It's a really good balance between light and dark colors. It doesn't show dirt like black cars, but it looks really sharp when it's spotless.
    Does anyone out there know of a side window sunscreen custom built for the 5 series? My son is always in the sun in his car seat and I am struggling to find something that covers both the main side window and the smaller triangle shaped window.

Any info would be great....
    Hello there - I might be a good peron to ask about this becuase I have an x5 in saphire black and I have a 530i in silver gray metallic.

The saphire black is absolutely stunning when its clean - but it is almost always dirty the next day after a wash. Silver Gray Metallic is gorgeous and stays clean for quite a while. The question you have to ask yourself is:

Is your car parked in a garage at home and at work?

If so go with the black saphire, otherwise I definately recommend either the Silver Gray Metallic or even the Titanium Silver - both colors stay clean for a while and look impeccable after a wash.

My wife drives the saphire black BMW and it is garaged in both places. FYI - after a while swirl marks really suck!

The Gray Titanium Metallic is not that easy to keep clean in my opinion as the lighter metallic colors.

Hope this helps!
    Speaking as someone who actually has a 2005 BMW product in my garage, and speaking as someone who has found most BMW's as they are shipped for inventory to US dealer's lots -- drab (there I said it):

I wonder if it is BMW that attracts folks who like Black, Gray, Silver and all the shades that seem to lack any primary color or if it is the customers who drive the inventory?

I have seen beautiful White BMW 5's with the Auburn leather. There is a pearl effect green that I have seen equipped with light gray leather seats. Of course there are red ones and blue ones too.

Yet the one or two of these colorful versions are usually floating on a sea of black, titanium, silver, or even a pleasant but still drab combo of gun metal gray and bronze "flecks" out in the lot.

And, boy, BMW must've got a deal on black leather and black vinyl -- no wonder even BMW fans and editors often proclaim BMW's great driving and performing cars as "stoic" in terms of their interiors.

Now, you may hate or love Bangle's styling influence -- this is NOT what I am talking about. I am talking about the color combinations.

Aside from the cosmetic virtues or lack thereof, black interiors do contribute to a sense of confinement -- a black interior shrinks the size (the psychological size) of a car's passenger compartment. Further, black interiors show dust so easily, the inevitable wear lines of any fine leather make a black interior age years sooner than a lighter dyed leather.

I have not done any scientific study of cars, at all; and, certainly I do not have the sales stats pertaining to my BMW dealer's sales by color, etc.

It just looks, to me, when I pull into the lot at the largest BMW dealer in the state of Ohio, that someone turned the color control off -- heck even the building looks like it was made for black and white TV.

Oh, BTW, my wife's 2005 X3 is BLACK -- but she did get the terracotta leather, at least.

And, if metallic paint is more profitable (I assume it is), don't bother with the pearl effect black upcharge -- for once you get more than 10 feet away from the car even you will have a hard time noticing the effect.

I didn't believe that would be the case until there were two, otherwise identical, Black Bimmers parked in the dealer's lot side by side (on a sunny day). Only when I got up close and personal, really personal could I discern a $500 difference between BMW's excellent Gloss and Pearl effect Black paint.

Hey, in all seriousness, get the color you want, even if it is dark, darker, darkest -- it is your money after all.

At least pause and consider white, green, blue or red for a moment or two. If nothing else you will have a BMW that won't get lost in the lot when it is in for service.

And, since you asked (for input) -- a black interior with black shiny wood seems destined to depress even the most optimistic folks once in a while.
    My salesperson told me that his dealership has a really tough time moving anything other than black or silver BMWs. Yawn. I can't understand it. My M6 was black and-since I live at the end of a 2700' gravel driveway-it was pristine for only about 20 minutes out of the three years I owned it. OTOH, my 645Ci press loaner was Mystic Blue and everyone told me how much they loved the color. Our CPO 5er was Aspen Silver/black and it seemed that we always saw ourselves coming and going. The upside is that those of us who don't confine our choices to the "BMW Default" colors can find some great deals-such as the 2004 Flamenco Red X3 we picked up last week. :)
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    The side window sunshades that come with the rear window sunshade are manual. Surely they can be retrofited.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    black interiors do contribute to a sense of confinement -- a black interior shrinks the size (the psychological size) of a car's passenger compartment. Further, black interiors show dust so easily, the inevitable wear lines of any fine leather make a black interior age years sooner than a lighter dyed leather.

I don't know about that. The first thing my daughter said when she slid into the back of my 530i with the black interior was how open it feels. And as far as black leather showing dirt, it certainly does not show grime the way light colors do. Nor does the carpet show stains the way light colors do. My soon-to-be (but not soon enough) ex-husband's car has beige leather and carpet and it's awful. It didn't take very long to get that way, either.
    Key point: if it is your car, purchased with your money, there is no wrong choice.

Black cars (inside or outside) can be -- often are -- very attractive. Dark colors tend to show dirt quickly. That is not a slam against them -- heck I have had cars of all colors and usually I enjoy the color for the duration of my ownership period.

I have never had a bright red car -- I have had burgundy pearl and although it is dark-er, it generally did remain relatively clean looking for a few days at a time.

With respect to interiors or color combinations in general, again it is your money, no problem what you get that is.

I had the Ecru (read beige) "cricket" leather interior in my last Audi -- at over 45K miles I got rid of the car and the seats, while NOT new, were in very good shape. The driver's seat could be cleaned with a damp cloth with a little bit of leather cleaner. I wiped the seats perhaps 3 times per year to maintain the "nearly new" look.

Some folks may find an all black interior "open" -- some folks love black interiors. I am not suggesting they are bad or evil or even will for certain require high maintenance (although my black dashboard requires at least a monthly wipe with a damp cloth to get rid of the visible dust.) Black interiors are also certainly not technically smaller than lighter colored interiors.

Dark browns, dark grays and black interiors are psychologically smaller -- for most people. When the color black is used for walls, floors and ceilings in commercial buildings, for instance, the purpose is often to make a large area seem more intimate, less expansive.

These are generalizations.

Try this -- if you have an all black interior and have a sun roof, open the roof so at least the glass is exposed. The car seems more open instantly. Conversely, pull the privacy shield closed on a sun roof so equipped and in a car with either a black or a light interior, the effect is to make the interior "feel" smaller.

This is neither a positive or a negative -- unless you think it is.

The request was for some suggestions and input -- delivered. Spend your money on the color you want both inside and out.

I still wonder why these German cars offer so many colors (in their native land) but so limited (at least on the lot) here in America.

I hope our proclivity to order or buy or whatever black, gray and silver derivatives is not due to some feeling of depression or lack of creativity.

It can be a colorful world.

Of course I do draw the line at that color Audi offers called Imola Yellow Pearl. Where are my shades? :shades:
    The upside is that those of us who don't confine our choices to the "BMW Default" colors can find some great deals-such as the 2004 Flamenco Red X3 we picked up last week.

A-ha! I was wondering why you were skulking around the X3 thread. Tell me more about your choice please, perhaps over there where we won’t get out hands slapped for digression. I’ve had my eye on it for a while because I think it’s the best handling SUV around by far, but I can’t seem to want to go for the extra bucks for a workhorse as it will dig into the sports-car fund. Wear it well!
    I'll see you over on the X3 thread in a bit. So far the X3 has proven to be a very pleasant surprise.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    The only custom made sunshades for the side windows that I know of are the ones that come with the rear sunshade option which you obviously didn't order. As these side sunshades manually pull up out of a slit inside the side door panels, I would think you would need to get entirely new inside side panels if you want a custom fit. I wonder if these can be ordered. It would be worth asking about. I know that I use mine daily and it was an option worth the money. The after market sunshades don't fit well and usually fall off from what I see in cars on the road.
  • hullhull Member Posts: 10
    I choose a very different set of options:

Cold Weather package is a best buy if you live north of the 40th parallel. Here in Portland, it is so nice to have the warm seats and heated steering wheel. Even good for Northern California, though it would be of only marginal value for SoCal (I have lived in both places for many years)

Leather: Instead of premium package, as the other add-ons in the premium package are silly (like automatic dimming mirror and built-in garage door opener)

Comfort Seats: Much more comfortable than sports seats, but probably makes more sense if you delete the sports package.

Xenons: Nice for winding roads that are not well lit up in the hills.

Skip the Sport package (regular is sporty enough and has a better ride) unless you really want to the rough ride, Definitely skip the NAV & HUD(way too much money for toys).
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    "Skip the Sport package (regular is sporty enough and has a better ride) unless you really want to the rough ride"

Well, let's say the SP pkg has a "well-controlled" ride :) I love the taut handling that is just a bit better than the non-SP, but that is just me talking...

I also like the auto-dimming mirror and homelink buttons for the garage door, exterior lights, etc. Agree that the Comfort Seats are wonderful - will probably order on my next 5er.
    Thank you for the suggestions. I think the sport package makes the car more sporty, but it may just be me. And, the ARS is GREAT! Also, I have looked at resale, and the sport package does hold value very well. As for making the ride rough. Hmmm, I hope not. I have only test driven a sports package, I hope I will like it on a day to day basis. Premium Package, I agree with Lovemyclk, I like the Premium Package. Navigation for me is useful, plus I like way it integrates with IDrive. But, it does not give much back on resale. Comfort seats, well I have never sat in them, so I wont know what I am missing. Getting close to buying!
    :)
    Is is just me? Or, is anyone else impressed with the 06 525? I test drove one last night, and i was blown away by the power, pickup , and handling. I thought it was just as powerful as my buddy's 2004 530. I was going to go with a 530, but now I may be going with the 525i. I can save $4500 with the same options. $4500 is $4500!

I am glad I went for a test drive last night. The 2006 is now a strong contender on my list!
  • gocart2gocart2 Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking about getting a 530xi. Just curious if anyone out there has had any quality issues or has owned and xi series BMW and used it in the snow; are they good in ice and snow? I think the car looks fantastic but would love any and all random feedback on quality and performance. Have read a lot of good stuff here already.

Thanks!
    We have a 2005 X3 3.0. It now has 11,000 trouble-free miles on it.

It has virtually every option except automatic.

None of the mechanical, electronic or cosmetic bits have been any problem. At ~10,000 miles we had all 3 wiper blades replaced for free under the BMW maint plan.

I have test driven the 530xi twice (unfortunately both times with an automatic.) One of the test drives was in a car that had been ordered and had been cancelled. The sales rep, said "I apologize for this car is has a $1200 option that we call "Discomfort" seats -- they add adjustments and motors, but we've never been able to get comfortable in them, and we have had only regrets from customers who buy them."

The car, otherwise was very competent in every way, but it seemed a little "underpowered."

I say this since I had expectations that I would feel the 530xi would be more urgent than my Audi A6 3.2.

It wasn't.

This, however, is NOT a bad thing. Since its quickness is improved with the 6spd manual.

The engine was "like butta" -- soooo smooth.

Very nice car indeed.

IMHO the comfort seats are NOT more comfortable -- indeed they do not hold you in as well as the standard seats.

I am 6' and 185 pounds.

Test each before you plunk your money down.

Reliability based on our German car experience is a red herring -- these cars, like most, feel bullet proof.
  • ecloudecloud Member Posts: 4
    I had an '01 330xi and never had any problems with it, driving in the eastern part of PA.
    Now, I have an '06 530xi. I have had this car since June and so far no problems with it. Now I am living in NC and so we have not had any snow yet this year. I love the Comfort Seats, the Navigation and HUD.
  • jeffwilsonjeffwilson Member Posts: 45
    OK, I just got back from my first trip out in the snow in my recently purchased 2002 530i. And man, oh man, this thing just died out there! I almost got stuck on a major highway (Rt. 17 in Northern NJ) because of an incline that I was sliding back on. And I ended up giving up when I could not get up a 30 degree hill near my work. I was sliding backwards and sideways, so went back down and came home. 4 hours to make a 40 mile round trip./ So, who can tlel me the best snows for this car? My last car was a MB CLK320 and I had Blizzaks, which seemed great, but were a fortune. Any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any knowledge that you can pass on to me. Thanks in advance!

Jeff Wilson