Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• bajanjackbajanjack Member Posts: 15
    I just picked up my 2008 535xi.....it is an awesome car!!...I can't find any central location for the many voice command options, not in the owner's manual or the internet. Can anybody help?
  • gohorns1gohorns1 Member Posts: 53
    The i-drive on my 535i decided to quit working last evening. The car is only 2+months old. Needless to say I'm a tad frustruated. I'm bringing it to the dealer Thursday and am hoping for a quick fix...
    Anyone have a similar problem on a new 5?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Did you try saying "Help?" That gets an audible listing of available commands on some cars with voice command.
  • wolfer2wolfer2 Member Posts: 10
    I had a similar problem on my two month old 535xi. One out of every 10 times or so the I-drive would not come on when I started the car. Then it would suddenly come on after about 15 minutes (apparently it was rebooting or something). I took it in. They said there is a Service Bulletin out on the issue and reloaded all the software. So far, it seems to be working.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386
    The mirror was the switch.

Good, it's kind of a strange way to engineer the thing but that's how they do it. It's funny how useful that little curtesy is when you're parking.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Thanks, that gives me hope for an easy fix.
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    Issue with the HVAC was solved... as Roadburner suggested, it was a part called the final stage unit.
    "Help" provides some commands, as does the owner's manual, but not all...thanks.....
  • jhammelljhammell Member Posts: 38
    After less than 20 months and 14k miles on the third manual transmission, this one is popping out of second gear just like the original (lasted 22k) and the second one (remanufactured- lasted 14k) all replaced under factory warranty. I have an appointment to have this looked at and appreciate that the dealership sounds interested in having this fixed under warranty. I am wondering though if this is what I have to look forward to every couple of years ?

I have posted this situation every time this failure has occurred but no one else seems to have experienced this problem. We really like this car and have not had any other problems in 5 plus years of ownership and the plan is to keep it many many more years and miles.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Can't say that I've ever heard of this problem. My 2002 530i 5-Speed was completely solid for the three years that I had it, ditto the 1999 328i (with the identical 5-Speed that's in your 530i) that I had before it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    well, it sounds like something is wrong other than the transmission itself. something about the vehicle is putting undo stress on the tranny somehow and wearing it out prematurely. They may never figure it out.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Well the diagnosis is in. The iDrive has to be replaced. The dealer had to first get permission from BMW to replace the unit. Then, of course, they have to order the part and have it shipped (at least over-night). They should get the unit tomorrow and maybe I'll have the car back tomorrow evening or Tuesday. Currently I'm driving a 328 loaner. I'm not the least impressed. The engine is nothing to write home about. It also has the standard radio, makes my decision to get the Logic 7 stereo look all the better (that is if I could be listening to it!)
    I just spoke with a CRM at BMW and she said I should have received a "bluetooth manual" when I bought my 535xi last week...I never did....she said the manual includes all of the voice commands for the car(not just the phone)....is anybody aware of a website that would have this?
  • kamdogkamdog Member Posts: 28
    I never heard of a 'bluetooth manual', and I picked up my 535i back from ED a week ago. Never heard reference to it on either bimmerfest or e60 Forums either. It sounds like she may have made it up.
  • wolfer2wolfer2 Member Posts: 10
    Interesting. They told me it was a software problem but I had to leave mine over the weekend. I got a 528 as a loaner. Huge difference on the engine. I noticed the difference in the radio too. Whatever they did to the IDrive, it seems to be working fine now.
    Hmm...I'm going to check with the BMW Center where I purchased the car to see if it even exists.....thanks.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    Picked up my 535i last night - no Bluetooth manual. I'm sure there is something either in the normal manual or online that gives all the commands.

If all else fails, try Google.
    If you find anything online that contains all the voice commands for our cars, please let me know....the normal manual is missing many of them......
    The saga continues. So they replaced the computer but were not able to reload the software. It seems that a VIN specific code is now needed to do this. For some reason the dealer did not known this when the new computer was ordered. Equally, BMW did not sent this info to the dealer (at least BMWUSA should have known to send it with the new computer). So, it took another day for the code to be sent via email. Why it took a day I have no idea. Now the car is being programmed, at least so I am told. I am very skeptical that I will have the car this weekend.
    It has taken BMW over a week to fix an iDrive problem. This is crazy. I like the car, but they should be better equipped to handle problems when they arise.
  • tx_buzzardtx_buzzard Member Posts: 130
    I am looking at both the 535i & 550i. The stats for the new 353i are impressive, but am wondering at what point will the turbos need work... and what kind of $ that might be. I have also heard maintainence on the V8 can get pretty steep after 100K. Anyone have experience with high milage on the V8 and required maintainence? What are your thoughts on the twin turbo... would you invest before thay are proven? I never really cared for the 3ers, as I felt they where a bit plain and too small... but this new 335i convertible is absolutly beattiful and is dressed up more than the other 3s!
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386
    I wouldn't be overly concerned w maintainence because of the Turbo. I myself have gone over 100K on a couple of Saabs with no engine or Turbo breakdowns, it is important to adhere to the mfr's. maintainence intervals.

I dislike the new 3er convertible because it is too big and heavy, plus the extra weight of the hardtop is way above the cg. I'm more interested in the 135i (soft top) which could be 3 or 400 lbs lighter and have better weight distribution. It'll be a pocket rocket. :shades:

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I have just been through the same decision process on the 5 series and extensively tested both. I ordered the 550i. The 535 will be close in objective performance but in my subjective tests, I preferred the way the 550 drove. I like the 8 and the smooth torque it delivers. I also liked the sport package which is unique to the 550i in terms of look and M tuned suspension. It felt like a more tame M car to me whereas the 535 felt like a bigger version of my old 3, in which I mean, it is lighter and more "toss-able". To many, that's a benefit. The 535 is also less expensive.
    Drive them both and go with your own subjective opinion.
    Neither is a "wrong" choice.
    Good luck.
    2008 550i
    6-speed manual
    Carbon Black Metallic
    Sport
    Shades
    Heated seats
    USB/iPod
    Nav
    Satellite
    Logic7

Sticker $69,045

Thinking to offer $64,500. Quick and abundant advice, guys, please!!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Sticker $69,045

Thinking to offer $64,500. Quick and abundant advice, guys, please!!

How much is your entertained offer over invoice?
    Same here. I literally just drove both w/ Sport package. I'm still at the dealership. I prefer the 550i. It may only be a tenth or two quicker than the 535i, but it feels much faster than that; granted, the 550i is equipped with a manual and the 535i is an automatic. I guess it just comes down to, no matter what you do to a 6, it's still not an 8. :) The 550i felt better, and it's even quieter; engine and road noise.
    It's $1,015 over invoice.
    It's $1,015 over invoice

Your offer, if accepted would be a great deal. Are the color and options your choice?

If so, and you're sure about MT and the 550, go for it.
    It's neither my color nor my options, but I could live with it.

What I want is
    550i
    Jet Black
    6-speed manual
    Sport
    Nav
    Satellite
    Heated seats
    tayl0rd: I could live with it is not a rousing endorsement.

I had a 540 and am familiar with the exhilaration of the 8, but I'm REAL happy with the 535, and the gas mileage, with the increasing barrel of oil price, is phenomenal. Therefore, consider your options and don't necessarily rush into the decision.
    It's not a bad looking color combination at all, the Carbon Black and Cream Beige. I'm just saying I don't cringe when I look at it. And it's more options than I actually want. I probably should just order one, just don't want to wait for it. Stupid me! :)

I have a V6 equipped car now that gets, IMO, lowsy gas mileage. So I don't think I'd be too disappointed with the 550i's mileage. My other car is equipped with a V8 and manual and gets better mileage than my V6.
    I don't cringe when I look at it.

Still not a rousing endorcement. I just don't want you to have buyer's remorse.
    I don't think buyer's remorse would be an issue; not until the first payment came due, anyway. :P But you're right. I probably should just order one, huh?
    don't think buyers remorse would be an issue.

Black is real hard to keep clean, but looks great when clean. Also consider future resale because you're buying not leasimg, right?
    This would be my FIFTH black car, so I think I have that base covered. :P I know, I'm a glutton for punishment.

And yes, I'd be looking to buy.
    Well then, go for it. I personally like the 5's size and comfort and ergonics and iDrive are good.

Keep us all here on the "boards" informed.
    Yeah, I think I've left the guy waiting long enough. I'm about to go for the plunge and see what happens.
    Good luck....you'll LOVE the car.
    Well, I've left the dealership 550i-free (for now.) They countered with $66K for that particular car and are offering me $28,500 for my two trades, but one of them has a payoff. Gonna take the second one in for them to low-ba... er... "appraise" on Monday. For now, looking at OTD of $53,079 including payoff. Will see if I'm happy with financing on Monday.

I still would love some more advice from everybody!
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    Well.....

I would order a car. I ordered my 540I, even though there were a couple cars that were close, however I wanted blk sapphire/blk, and would not settle for jet blk. I wanted fold down rear seats, and no airbags in the rear doors, etc.

I still wonder about the E39 530 with manual tranny, however I was so blown away by the 540.... and after 133K I am still happy, and I've even made some Dinan mods that increased power, and responsiveness somewhat.

Bottom line is that I usually find that I'm happiest if I don't settle.
    That makes sense. Now that I'm coming down out of the ether, I might just have to pass on this one and try again. I was this close to "settling" for a jet black on black 535i Sport w/ automatic that they have there. If the salesman had been a little more aggressive (thank goodness he wasn't) he might've been able to talk me into that one. But for sure, I'd have buyer's remorse on that one. The 535i just does NOT feel like a 550i, and I was once one of the ones who figured a 535i Sport would be just as good as a 550i Sport. It's not. Trust me.

That's not to say the 535i is bad. That's not the case in the slightest. But the 535i just didn't feel as good to me as the 550i; power, ride, drive, etc.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    What kind of advice are you looking for? It seems you know what you want. Are you seeking how to get the best price on purchase and trade-in?
    No. I'm looking for more of a WWYD?: What Would You Do? And do you think I'm being reasonable with my offer?

And, of course, I got the usual salesman tapdance that the Edmunds invoice isn't true invoice jargon. He offered to show me their actual invoice, but it somehow slipped his mind in the span of 3 minutes. He never produced an invoice sheet. Probably saw that they would still be turning profit with my offer even though he said it wouldn't be doable. I'll have to remember to ask for their invoice sheet when/if I return on Monday.

I really want a 550i, but I'm not willing to have my pockets rabbit-eared just to get one. :(
  • 29572957 Member Posts: 2
    idrive a 01 5301 SP 65k miles need rear rotor and ceramic pads. need to know the mfg name for the rotors
  • 29572957 Member Posts: 2
    yes
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Steve at the Ultimate Garage will sell you OEM stuff at a very good price:

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/index.php?cPath=34_267

Best Regards,
    Shipo

Edit: Oops, it seems that he's stopped carrying brake parts for the 530i and 540i. :( I've also bought E39 530i brake components from:

http://www.importrp.com/home.php

Personally I'm a fan of the PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus pads as they have about the identical stopping power as the factory pads, however, they create virtually no dust.

As for rotors, the Import Replacement parts carry Brembo rotors which as a rule are equal or superior to OEM rotors.

A full set of rotors, sensors and pads will run you $355.92 plus shipping and taxes. Not too shabby.
    I ordered the exact 550i that I wanted for 1450 over invoice inclusive of all fees, Macco, training etc (this is Edmunds invoice plus 1K plus 450 fees). You should be able to do the same and get the exact color and options you want. I didn't find that the "in stock" cars were so much of a bargaining point for them as they had allocation cars on the way and needed to sell those as well. Mine is due into port on Tues. 550i sport, sport auto trans, HUD, and lots of other stuff too. I went with Carbon black, with black interior.(It's really a blue car). I also almost jumped at an in stock car but in retrospect, I'm happy that I got to choose the exact options I wanted.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    Congrats topspin! The 550i's a sweet ride. When you are paying that kind of dough for a car, you should get what you want and not have to compromise (unless the compromise involves a SERIOUS amount of money less).

While the only E60 I've driven is my Mom's '05 530iA (the 225 hp), I'm sure if I were in the market for such a vehicle the Twin Turbo 535i would more than suit my needs. But there's something seductive about a V8. If I had the extra cash, I'd definitely go for a 550i!

Best of luck to you!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Thanks. Once you are at this level of car, it's not really about "needs" anymore. It's what you want for what you want to pay. It's a luxury item so no rationalization is possible nor warranted. Just get it because you like it (and can afford it). I am really looking forward to this one. I toyed with the M but it was just too much beast for an everyday commuter car and at 12 miles per gallon, my conscious would bother me a bit.
    Now if I can convince my wife to get a hybrid then I could justify the other car..... :)
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I presently have a 535xi on order to be here in less than 30 days now. However, I have been wondering over the past several weeks if the 550i would not be the "better" car for me (there really is no "better", they are both excellant sports sedans, but they are different). I have driven both back to back and prefer the 550i feel over the 535. However, the xi feature is also appealling to me here in southern BC as we do get winter.

I can exit the 535xi deal and the dealer will take the car into his inventory for sale. I would have to re-order and wait again.....blah. Plus, the 550 is more bucks.

I do love the V8 feel and the MSport package tho; even if I trade away some all-weather capability. Four snow tires will go on either car I get.

Still wrestling with my decision. Fun but not fun.
    I've still been thinking about it, and I'm starting to warm up to that particular car. I detailed my current black car last night in the garage, and the gleam and sparkle of black just can't be touched by ANY other color. I was just squatting next to it thinking, "Can I really settle for something other than black? That Carbon Black Metallic (which is really just Navy Blue metallic) just won't look as good." But as I said, I'm starting to warm up to that particular car.

But get this! When the deal was going sour Saturday, I mentioned that I probably should just order one to get exactly what I want and not have to pay for a bunch of stuff I don't want (as on this car), the salesman actually got upset about it! :confuse: He starts lying about how I'd have to pay full sticker if I ordered one because I'd be taking one out of their allocation; with a snotty attitude, might I add. I won't even get into how he basically insulted me with one of his comments. And then he just leaves. Some other guy comes out to try to recover that guy's fumble and starts talking more sense. It basically boiled down to that guy not wanting to take a mini deal. Mind you, I had been at the dealership most of the day dealing with ANOTHER salesman who actually did all the work; took me on two test drives, let me take it out by myself, AND answered my questions. If anything the guy that actually did the work should be getting the commission, not this guy! :mad: Quite really! For the amount of work and time spent, a mini is more than this guy deserves.

But if the numbers look how I want them today, I'd be willing to overlook all that and still give a good CSI. Or should I use that as a bargaining tool today as others have mentioned before?