Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Thanks for that tidbit of info. I've been wondering what the "MSport" package is and its difference from the normal Sport package. :confuse: Now I know. And knowing's half the battle. Yoooo, Joe! :P
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    BMW NA has a penchant for adding the M Sport trim to the Sport packages of their older platforms. This was the case with the 1999 E36 328is Sport Package coupes, the last E39 540i Sports, and the E46 330i ZHP. Late last year my dealer took a gorgeous 2003 Topaz Blue 540i Sport in trade. I would have bought it but unfortunately it was a slushbox... :(

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

While we're sort of on the M subject, why doesn't the e60 M5 have foglights?
  • jamesgjamesg Member Posts: 19
    do you know if the m535i can be imported from canada to the US? the sport package is a great visual addition if nothing else.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I cannot answer that query, I know that US cars can be imported into Canada; but BMWCanada does not make it easy to do. You might not like Canadian pricing either, as it is higher than US pricing. You would be better to add an MSport kit to a US 535i I would think. They are available, not from BMW, but from aftermarket suppliers, and sorry, I don't know exactly who they are. Some searching might lead to an answer tho, as I don't think Edmunds allows posting of other websites on here.
  • kev_e39kev_e39 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there. I have the same problem with my '02 525. Did u solve the problem replacing the sensor?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Do any of you have experience with the iPhone (AT&T) with your BMW's Bluetooth?

If so, does the phone work well and does the phone book download to your car?

Thanks, in advance.
  • tx_buzzardtx_buzzard Member Posts: 130
    Do any of you have experience with the iPhone (AT&T) with your BMW's Bluetooth?

The iPhone works seamlessly in the '08 5 Series... the trouble is, you still have AT&T as your carrier. So you have to deal with that. :lemon:
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    The iPhone works seamlessly in the '08 5 Series... the trouble is, you still have AT&T as your carrier. So you have to deal with that.

So.......the car's Bluetooth WILL download your phone book?

BTW, I agree with you on the AT&T's cell phone service.
  • tx_buzzardtx_buzzard Member Posts: 130
    Yes it will download the phone book, again... it works seamlessly.
  • cars_sportcars_sport Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to buy a car this week, and am considering the BMW 528i.Should I be considering the BMW 535i. The 528i fits the budget better, but I don't want to make a mistake. Any guidance would be helpful
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    What would you classify as a mistake? Having very decent acceleration but losing at the stoplight drag races when up against Corvettes and stuff?

FWIW, the power to weight ratio of the current 528i is not too much lower than my old 2002 530i, and yet that car was more than fast enough for virtually every driving regimen imaginable. FWIW, my 530i had no problem accelerating to and maintaining triple digit speeds while I had it in Germany, and still held its own in the heavy NYC metro area (where I lived when I got the car) as well as wide open roads of New Hampshire (where I lived when I turned it in).

All this is to say that even though it is often nice to have more juice under the hood, the 528i is certainly no slouch and should prove to be more than satisfying to drive on a daily basis.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    I just test drove a 528xi and felt it needed a little more umph. I also felt it was compromised when trying to pass at higher speeds. This car only had 1400 miles on it. I'm coming from an Audi 3.2 and my car feels stronger when accelerating onto a highway and just stronger in general. I have to add that for the 1st 10,000 miles my car was a dog. Weird thing is the engine kept getting progressively faster every 10,000 miles. At 30,000 miles it felt like a rocket. Is that the same for the 528 engine as well?

BTW, I like the handling, feel and balance of the 528xi better than my car but I just don't think I'd be happy with the engine. I plan on driving the 535xi and hope to make a decision soon.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Be prepared to really like the 535xi. Other than the sound of that terrific BMW straight 6, it will "feel" like you are driving a V8. The 528 is still going to provide much enjoyment... like Shipo, my 2003 530SP leaves little to be desired. It took the new TT engine to make me consider replacing my current 5! Still have not done so, as I truly enjoy my car... and nothing drives as good as a "paid for" car ;)
    Still have not done so, as I truly enjoy my car... and nothing drives as good as a "paid for" car

Especially a paid for E39. I still prefer it to the E60, though I will admit that the 535d I drove was pretty nice.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I keep my '03 e39 with Sport Pkg in great condition by staying on top of all maintenance matters. Just by-the-book service visits, a proper break-in process and miles of rewarding DRIVING! I have yet to spend a dime on anything other than tires... and periodic detailing!

Has been a fantastic ownership experience... and anybody who rides in it asks "is this new?" Still solid as any new car after 50K miles and 5 years this Jan. It goes down the road unlike anything in its price range and comports itself quite well in the twisties.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I have a 2003 530i (still love it also with 53K on it) and it is rated at 6.9 seconds with auto for 0 - 60. When comparing to the performance of an '08 model the 528 auto is spec'd at 7.1 seconds. Not much of a difference but not parity.

I am also in the process of choosing between a 528xi and 535xi. Well the 528xi is in fact 7.6 seconds 0 - 60. This is about the performance of my '99 528i. And I did notice a big difference when going from my '99 to '03, so .7 of second is noticable.

I did drive the 535xi and it put a big smile on my face. Solves the self questioning about spending upper 50s for a sports sedan :-) Of course MPG suffers but it is a heck of a ride. With option parity you are talking a < $7K difference versus the 528xi. So just cut out those Starbuck mornings...

The only cure to getting performance and MPG IMO are the diesel engines that BMW will release in 2008. I hear though that the 5-sedans may not get the engines - only the X5 - that would be a shame. Especially if they produce 400 lb ft of torque - 40 more than a 550!

Decisions decisions...but never buy a smaller TV or slower car than what you have... ;)
    "I have a 2003 530i and that is rated at 6.9 seconds with auto for 0 - 60. When comparing to the performance of an '08 model the 528 is spec'd at 7.1 seconds. Not much of a difference but not parity."

Hmmm, 6.9 seconds to sixty? Ummm, that sounds awfully slow. Off the top of my head I'm kind of remembering that my 2002 530i SP was somewhere between 6.3 and 6.5 seconds, and the 2008 528i is right bang on 6.5 seconds itself. As for comparing the E39 530i to the E39 528i, yeah, I agree, my Butt-O-Meter was easily able to tell the difference between the two cars. In fact, I found that the 1999 528i that I drove as a loaner when my 1999 328i was being serviced was noticeably slower than my 3er, and my 530i was faster still.

As for my previous post, what I was trying to convey was that the new E60 528i is a very competent car, clearly not as fast and entertaining as the 535i, but clearly not as expensive either. It's funny, the E39 525i was so anemic in its power delivery that it was a car that I would never even remotely consider, while the 530i was quite wonderful, and the 540i of the era was an absolute blast. That said, I chose to get the 530i and save the $8,500 that was the cost of a like-for-like 540i. Here we are again just a few years later and the new 535i should easily be able to give the E39 540i a run for its money and the new 528i can give the E39 530i a run for its money. I'm thinking that I might well make the same decision as I made last time and opt for the 528i, were it that I was shopping today and not in a position to be using rolled up C-Notes as tooth picks. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I have an auto - 6.9 is the number in the BMW brochure I have from 2003.

You had a manual - don't you remember? :P

All numbers I quoted were for auto trannys.
    Ahhh, silly me, I never even think in the terms of an automatic transmission on any 3-Series or 5-Series. :blush:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Another consideration: twin turbos are a maintenace nightmare waiting to happen.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    bah. there is no proof of that.
    there are plenty of turbos that have been on the road for decades with no extra maintenance problems.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• cars_sportcars_sport Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the comments. I gave BMW a rest yesterday and test drove a Mercedes E320 Bluetec diesel. It was really super, more impressive than the 528i.
    I was almost sold and then re-read the Mercedes reliability ratings in CR. They terrified me.
    Today I'll go back to a BMW dealer and take another look. I see a low mileage 2007 530i that I should perhaps consider, but it is in an inconvenient location.
    "bah. there is no proof of that.
    there are plenty of turbos that have been on the road for decades with no extra maintenance problems."

Agreed, I've got nearly 200,000 miles of turbo driving under my belt and never had any kind of a problem with them. Simple rule: Use the best (in spec) oil available and change it frequently.

FWIW, there have been some interesting UOAs published over on BITOG for 335i engines that have shown that the factory oil as well as Mobil 1 0W-40 get used up pretty quickly. Were it that I had a 335i or a 535i (with three pedals under the dash of course), I'd be changing the oil at 5,000 miles and then sending the oil off for analysis, just to be on the safe side.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    My 2 cents (and my obvious bias shows in my tag) would be go for the 535.... I have always found that "going backwards" in HP usually feels wrong....

On another note, my E39 540 is still rolling right along, with 136000 or so on the odo - The hiccups are rare, and I plan keeping it until at least 250K. If I do anything more to it it will be cosmetic - the front end of this car gets sandblasted over time. I'm pretty happy with the Dinan mods, including clutch, cold air intake, exhaust etc... and not sure if I want to make any suspension changes... I'm happy with the ride/handling balance, really love the look of the 18" M sport parallel spoke wheels, etc etc. Ironically, I find myself looking backward with BMW for my next car... either add another E39, or find an older E34...
    With the launch (2005) and subsequent failure (2007) of our new business, my financial situation isn't what it was a few years ago. That said, I'm anticipating "rounding the bend" so to speak from a financial perspective in the next year or so, and will be hopefully able to get back into a BMW, albeit a slightly used one.

With the above in mind, I occasionally browse through the used car ads to see what's currently available, and I've been noticing that finding a 2001-2003 530i 5-Speed with the options that I want is difficult at best. On the other hand, since the 2001-2002 540i 6-Speed has all of the goodies I want and is only fetching a couple of thousand more than the tarted up 530i SP 5-Speeds, I may join you in E39 540i-dom. ;-)

I know what you're going to say, "Hey, what about the 2003 540i?" I'm actually not a fan of that garish (IMHO) nose treatment that BMW put on the 2003 540i 6-Speed models, so they're not under consideration. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    I know what you're going to say, "Hey, what about the 2003 540i?" I'm actually not a fan of that garish (IMHO) nose treatment that BMW put on the 2003 540i 6-Speed models, so they're not under consideration.

WRONG!!! LOLOL

You ALMOST knew what I was about to say.... actually my comment was going to be that I bet the rather overdone nose of the '03 would be an issue... I know it is the least favorite view of my car for me. It is also a bit of a pain - fortunately for my wallet my corporate driver training (from years ago) mandated backing in to parking spaces, so I have done that for years, otherwise that low front clip would be toast 10 times over!
    Great minds, it seems, think along similar patterns. :D

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    Shipo if you are looking for some good E39s, go see my friends in Chichester.

Concord Motorsport

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Yeah, I browse their site on a fairly regular basis as they always seem to have a number of 540i 6-Speeds in stock. When the time comes, if they've got what I want, I'll be giving them a visit as they aren't even an hour away. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    If you don't mind traveling or shipping, you can also try
    these guys as well as these guys.
    Thanks! ;)
    Fascinating that neither carry a single '03 530SP - e39's are out there, but guess owners like me aren't too rushed to sell!
    Yeah, and a "well equipped" second-hand 335i Sport is impossible to come by as well. :( I did notice that Auto Sports by the Lake has an '06 550i and an '07 335i Sport for the exact same price! Who in their right mind would choose a 335i over a 550i for the same money? :confuse:
  • saintfromnjsaintfromnj Member Posts: 1
    Well I always wanted a 5 series but I couldn't pull the trigger on a 08. I also needed the Xi.

2006 CPO 530xi Sedan
    24,500 Miles
    Black/Auburn Interior
    Every Single Option available (some not needed like motorized rear shade)
    Only missing piece is Satellite receiver but it is wired for it

The car was owned by a dealer, it has a small blemish on carfax...it hit a garbage can and needed cosmetic repair. I saw the repair bill to confirm it was cosmetic only.

$41,475

I am ecstatic, pick up tomorrow...
    Congratulations. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Two questions separate our comments:

What percent of BMWs are leased?

What percent of leasers exceed BMW's maintenance schedule?
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    Tomorrow marks 6 years since I purchased my 02 530i, SP, PP, 5-speed. It now has 67,850 miles on it. Just for fun, I checked my expense records to see what my cost per mile was for 2007. Here is what I found:

2007 miles driven: 9,651

Total auto related expenditures: $11,657

Cost per Mile: $1.21 (see below for details)

MPG = 23.3 (9,651 miles / 414 gallons)

My cost breakdown is as follows:

Payments to BMW Financial: $609.81 x $7,318 (will own outright after 12/28/2008)
    Fuel: $3.284/gallon average x 414 gallons = $1,360
    Repairs: $2,127 (includes Inspection II at $919, 3 new PS-2 tires at $628 (bought other in 2006 after flat on freeway), oil change and brake flush, extra oil, fog light bulb replacement, smog check, details and car washes)
    Insurance: $852

This was a more expensive year than most for repairs because of the tire purchase and the Inspection II cost. Also, after 12/28/2008 my cost per mile drops significantly once my finance payments end. I had leased the car for 3 years then purchased it.

Are these costs consistent with other owners?
    Are these costs consistent with other owners?

The costs to run my wife's 528iA were a bit lower, the primary differences being due to the fact that I bought the big sled used and paid it off in 3 years, I used an independent BMW tech for major services(my cost for an Inspection II was @$450), and I bought Kumho tires from Tire Rack.

• richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    We havent heard from you in 2 mos. You were getting a 550 in Nov or early Dec. How about a review. Any regrets? Be hard on the review telling bad points. We are aware of the good ones. You said the 535 was more "tossable". Isnt it a good thing? Was the 550 quieter, how does it ride and handle now compared to the 535?
    I really like the 535xi but this is why I won' t get one. Check out the video.

http://community.myride.com/kickapps/service/displayMediaPlayPage.kickAction?med- iaType=VIDEO&mediaId=72510&as=3898
  • og_oggilbyog_oggilby Member Posts: 27
    I have driven 14 different cars over the last over the last 36 years and have never been in an accident where I was hit from the side. Sure, it could happen, but if you are aware of your surroundings it is the least likely way to get hit. Not buying a car because of that video is just being paranoid. On the other hand, I have been hit from behind while stopped at a light 3 different times :(
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    I'm still not sure what to make of the side crash test results.

However, I remember reading about a long distance drive BMW hosted when the 2008 5 series were released, providing a set of all the 5 series models for the press to take turns driving from Nevada to California I think. Anyway, one of the drivers wrote about going too fast around a corner, losing control, going off the road, and rolling the car where it came to rest upside down. He said he opened the door easily (with the car resting on it's roof) and he climbed out without major injuries.

Bruce
    "Not buying a car because of that video is just being paranoid."

I'm not paranoid at all. Please read this.

Side impacts are the second most common fatal crash type after frontal crashes. About 9,200 people in passenger vehicles were killed in side impacts in 2005. In crashes with other passenger vehicles during 2004-05, 49 percent of driver deaths in 1-3-year-old cars and minivans occurred in side impacts, up from 31 percent in 1980-81. During the same time, the proportion of driver deaths in frontal crashes declined from 61 to 46 percent.

"These changes are attributable to two effects," says Institute president Adrian Lund. "There have been significant improvements in frontal crash protection &#151; standard airbags, improved structural designs, and increased use of safety belts, for example. At the same time, growing sales of SUVs and pickups have exacerbated height mismatches among passenger vehicles, thereby increasing the risks to occupants of many vehicles struck in the side."

Here's the full article:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr081607.html
    I know one of those drivers who witnessed that accident. The passenger was okay, the driver had injuries. I'm not sure to what extent but he did have to be hospitalized. Yes, the integrity of the car looked fine after the roll over. The BMW 5 series scored well on front and rear impacts and obviously rollovers but failed on side impact. Something you should consider IMHO.

BTW, if not for that I would probably get one. The ride and handling are the best I've driven.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >" I'm not sure to what extent but he did have to be hospitalized."

If it is the press event drive, the driver was only held for observation relating to back injuries.

One other thing to note: immediately after the crash the car called BMW Assist and reported it. Emergency services were dispatched without anyone having to do anything.

Well... other than roll the car. ;)
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Yesterday afternoon I had a serious accident with my 2004 BMW 530d. I was the driver, my 28-year-old daughter sat on the front passenger seat and my wife on the rear right one. Everyone had the safe belts fasted.

We were crossing from celebrating Christmas at my brother's to our place at a ski & mountaining resort for a ten-day-holiday. As a consequence, the car was heavily loaded, it even holding one of my daughter's pair of snow skis inside the cabin. We were cruising on a two-lane highway at about 75 miles per hour.

We were in the left lane of the two lanes, speeding in order to taking over other car that was in front of us on the right lane. Then our front left tyre burst out. We collided laterally against the left highway security rail and got rejected spinning round towards the (empty) right lane; I tried to regain the car control by counter steering, but eventually the car hit, this time with its right side, the right rail. Next we hit frontally the left rail and then&#151;again after making a spin or two (who knows?)&#151;did it frontally against the right rail to eventually coming to a stop.

(I have mentally passed the film of the accident to myself quite a few times last night.)

Nobody was injured. My family and I are safe at home now. Not even a neck pain nor a muscle contracture.

All airbags came out in turn: laterals first, frontals last. (I could see the road after the lateral collisions until the first frontal one happened.) The car is now a mere ruin but for the rear end. Yet all four doors and trunk can be opened as usual. It must be said that the car did not roll over its roof.

Hoping next year be at least as fortunate as this one :surprise: ,

Regards,
    Jose
    You are reading too much into those statistics. Those tests are done in a controlled environment with a controlled setup (31 mph, etc.). Life is random. If an SUV hits you from the side going... say 45 mph, you are probably going to be in trouble no matter what car you are driving.

Since 9,200 people in passenger vehicles were killed in side impacts in 2005 and 18,807 people died from accidental falls in 2004 - I guess you shouldn't stand up and walk around, since the odds are better that you might fall and die than by getting killed in a side impact collision. Also, 59,664 died from Influenza/Pneumonia - you might want to wear a mask if you are brave enough to stand up and walk around.

BTW, I am not making fun of you. I am trying to show that buying or not buying a car that you like because of a so-so grade on one specific test should not influence your decision that much. The odds of you being in a side impact collision with an SUV going 31 mph while you are stopped in a BMW (or any car) are not that high.
    Wow, glad to hear that you and your family are OK Jose.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    It is so great to hear that you and your family are healthy after your experience. I was wondering what brand of tire was on your car and how many miles were on the one that blew.