Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Awww... you MISS me!!! :)

though my memory differs a bit from yours, imagine that...
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Don't know what your purchase timeline is - BUT - since 2010 is the last model year for the E60, and since the new 5 series F10 will be available by March or so next year, expect dealers to start whacking prices very soon fueled by factory incentives to get rid of the 10's. If I were you I would tell your dealer to stuff the 48700 price and get back to you when he can do MUCH better. Believe me, that price won't hold for long.
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Guys
    I had an experience today. I got into the vehicle (2007 530i) and all of a sudden as I start the engine, I see this big Red symbol on the dash. I never saw it before, and got out the manual. It turns out to be the Tire Pressure Monitor warning. It was telling me that the passenger rear tire needed pressure. I got out and looked at the tire, which seemed totally normal. I drove the car to a tire repair place and they checked the tire pressure as being normal (35psi). They checked the other tires as well, also normal. So, I read the manual, and it said to "reset" what to do, which I did. Sure enough, the TPM warning disappeared.

What does this mean, if anything, and do I need to contact the dealer about it?
    It just seemed weird the TPM would go off, when the tire was fine. I believe the tires are run flats also.

Thanks Guys.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    Why don't you get your own cheap simple tire gauge for about ten bucks and check the tire pressures yourself rather than using unreliable electronic frippery to tell you if your tires are OK?

Check 'em once per week and you're unlikely to experience problems unless there's a trauma to the tire.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• kevin530kevin530 Member Posts: 25
    Hey Gardis, I would let the dealer know, if for no other reason than just to go on the record, about the tire pressure warning. It may be that the computer may need to be reset at some point and at least you can say that you brought it to the dealer's attention. I had a meltdown of some of the electrical, power seats, mirrors, steering wheel electrical just stopped and then started up like nothing happened a few hours later. Dealer checked and said that sometimes the computer systems need to be checked and reset, and while mine didn't based on their check, if it happens again or after warranty I have an argument if it's an issue.
    I am averaging about 30 mpg for sure, to answer your other post, with a mix of 75% highway and 25% in town. I use 91 or 93 gas.
    Finally, a BMW should not go through a car wash, in my opinion. Only time I did this past winter I got a scratch on the rim, no more ever again. Not sure I understand why you leave the keys in the car when you get out at a car wash?
    You leave the car running?
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    The BMW TPM goes off when the pressure decreases so if it was higher and dropped to 35 that would do it.

If that didn't happen it's possible the TPM went haywire.
    Guys
    thanks for that advice.
    Kevin, that's what I'm going to do is call the dealer just to let them know. At least I'm covered if I have a problem later on.

Re the car wash, yes, at the car washes down here, you leave the car running, they drive the car onto a device that moves the vehicle through the wash while it's getting washed. Anyway, I figured out how to change the locking system to my liking. During the winter, what do you do to wash your car? My water is all shut down where I live. I have no choice.

MPG - that explains it. I'm driving the exact opposite of you. I'm doing maybe 25% highway, 75% local. That's my problem.

Thanks again for your great advice guys.
  • pcmanpcman Member Posts: 8
    I'm shoppiing for an off-lease 2008 535i. My question is whether or not to purchase one w/ Sport Pkg. I love the look of the Sport wheels but I dont want a bone-jarring ride. Ive even considered buying a non-sport model and buying a set of BMW sport wheels off ebay or something. I drove a 550i w/ sport and upgraded 19" wheels and it seemed pretty rough-riding.

I'd appreciate any opinion on how harsh the ride is on a Sport Package 535 vs non Sport.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    If you drove a 2008 or newer 550i Sport, the 535i Sport is not nearly as firm as that. I've driven an '08 535i Sport and own an '08 550i Sport.
  • wantabmwwantabmw Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where to buy a brand new 2006, 2007, or 2008 BMW 530?
    What happens to the cars that do not get sold?
  • bmwgal3bmwgal3 Member Posts: 15
    I have the 2008 535i with sport package. I love it. It is a smooth ride. If you change out the run-flats, it's even smoother. I test drove the 550i, it was really too rumbley for me. I felt like I was sitting on top of a jet engine. I am pretty sensitive to comfort. I also have the comfort seats, which are great as well.
    You can't. The ones the dealers can't sell get sent to auction. If they don't sell there, which is highly unlikely, they are sent back to the manufacturer and then to the crusher.
  • loupaloupa Member Posts: 7
    I am looking for advanced info on the new 2011, BMW 5 series?

All info is appreciated :)
    This is a good place to start. Or you could just Google "2011 BMW 5 Series"

• njdriver1njdriver1 Member Posts: 97
    Not sure where to post this, but...when the car started rough and every red light on the dash came on I rumbled down to the dealer and stank the area up with gas odor. Had to have the fuel injectors replaced at 24,000m. That was last month. Now I've been to the dealer twice when the "check brake fluid" note came on. It was only on for a minute or 2 then went off. Comes on every morning after driving for about 10 minutes. The dealer claims it's "software". Has anyone come across this or seen a TSB for this? The vehicle was pretty good for the first 2 years but now I don't know.
  • wedgemanwedgeman Member Posts: 3
    I have had this car for a week, and in the rain, with driver's window open slightly, water drips in onto the arm rest and window controls (and on my arm). It is not rain coming in, but a drip from the top of the widnow frame. Anyone else notice this?
    Update:

I bought my 2008 535 and feel guilty for being so in love with a car. I actually got one that had been upfitted w/ 19" M6 wheels and tires. My previous concerns about a Sport Pkg 5 series having a rough ride are completely unfounded. Its as smooth as a baby's behind.

New question: These 19" tires are pretty worn in the back and pretty good shape in the front. They are General Exclaim UHP's. Everythings fine except they're loud. Are all 19" low pro tires this loud?
    Any size worn, low profile tire is loud. And why didn't you have the dealership replace the tires before you bought it? :confuse:
    I bought this car from an individual is why the worn tires. I knew what i was getting into in regards to the tires. i just didnt want to buy new tires if they were going to be just as loud as what's on there now. My plan is to switch the General Exclaims with some Michelin Pilos AS Plus. Any opinion there?
    The Michelins will be quiet for about 5000 miles. I had a set on a previous car. Great tires in wet and dry, but they get quite noisy once they begin to wear.
    Now that's the trouble with modern cars, the tires are louder than the motor, another advantage for old-fashioned skinny tires which are way more fun to drive on because they'll let go if you lean on 'em. ;)

Yes, I have a 2007 530i, and I don't believe it's a fault. I have the same problem. The window design is such that if it's raining and you use the wipers especially, that water sloshes over the left side of the windshield and drips into the window controls. Nothing can be done I don't think. I simply keep the windows closed when it's raining, or I keep them open just slightly so no water comes in. I hope that's my biggest problem with the car, which I love.
  • bmwforeverbmwforever Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 535i and was stunned to find out that somehow, my rear door had been cracked - a big crack from font to back. Evidently the door isn't metal - it's plastic. What the heck? Not sure what to do with it. I called a body shop and they didn't believe me. Do they sell replacement plastic "shells"? :mad:
  • smartcpasmartcpa Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone tell me what came on their 2009 / 2010 5 series as an OEM tire?
    Thanks
    I'm surprised to hear that but they need to take the weight out of cars so we'll likely seemore plastic body components. The good news is that it's probably easier and cheaper to replace than a steel part, I'm sure you can get a replacement from a dealer or independent supplier.

I was recently surprised when I knocked off the outer housing of my right side mirror. It's metal, I expected plastic! ('00 528iA).

• sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    POS Continentals. Have not seen such hard and noisy tires ever. Thorougly enjoing my winter Michelin Alpine 3s now.
    Some have goodyears
  • bmwforeverbmwforever Member Posts: 2
    I was completely wrong about the doors being plastic. Took it in to a body shop to have it looked at and they said that it was putty that had cracked. It must have had some prior damage. I bought it Certified Pre-Owned from a dealership, and the BMW dealership took responsibility for the whole repair for me. Now that's service! And that's why I'm BMW Forever!
  • blue530iblue530i Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2003 530i in for service regarding a random flashing oil pressure indicator light. On two occassions a message was flashed to the message center on the instrument panel; STOP: Low Oil Pressure: Add Oil Immediately (or to that effect). BMW service has replaced a sending sensor and a receiving sensor, but the problem persists. I have spent $500 plus so far ... I am not sure that the dealer service advisor wants to fix this problem or knows what to do. The service advisor has assured me there is no 'real' oil pressure problem, but my concern is how would they know. Does anyone in this forum have any advice or suggestions? I want to sell the vehicle, but how do I do that with this kind or indicator.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    It is hard to tell from reading your message what is really going on with your car. FWIW, there are TWO oil related messages that your car can generated, 1) Low Oil Level, and 2) Low Oil Pressure. If you have a low level message, add oil, if you have a low pressure message, adding oil will not help at all (unless of course you're getting the low level message as well).
    I think that is the problem, the computer is generating two different messages. one to add oil (oil is at the appropriate level) and the other is low oil pressure. BMW service has replaced two sensors (sending and receiving), but the problem persists. Assuming that was done correctly, any other ideas that would create an error message of that nature?
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    Well, the oil pump could just be bad, and not the sensor. Or, if you are really driving hard, all the oil is pooling outside of the oil pickup and starving it on a really high-g turn. Or, the line to the sensor is plugged with crud (shouldn't happen, but you never know). The OBD connector probably can provide the oil pressure reading, which may be a good place to start, or for test purposes, install a calibrated meter to verify what the pressure really is.
  • twisty1twisty1 Member Posts: 3
    Can someone offer advice? My car is at the dealer and was informed that I need to change my front brakes and front left caliper (causing vibration at any speed). Total cost is around $1500! I have an 2003 E39 with 102K miles. I know this is an expensive service, but is this usually this high? Can I only change the left caliper instead of both as dealer is recommending?
    That's why they say BMW stands for "Bring my wallet"
    Can someone offer advice?

Do not go to the dealer for service! There are good independent BMW repair shops all over America that will do good work on your car for a fraction of dealer rates.

Go to www.bimrs.org to find one near you.
    There's no way I could afford to run an old E39 paying dealer repair costs. They're sturdy cars but repairs aren't cheap.

Thanks andys120!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    A few points:

- Why are they recommending the caliper? The only reason I can think of is if it is leaking or if you've failed to have the brake fluid flushed every 24 months and rust had formed on the inner side of the piston.

- Servicing the brakes (i.e. new pads, rotors and sensors) on the E39 is one of the easiest brake jobs on the planet to perform.

- New pads, rotors and sensors shouldn't run more than $150 per axle for premium quality parts, and depending upon where you buy them, I've seen that price down near $100.

- As has already been mentioned, lose the dealer and find yourself a good independent, errr, that is if you aren't inclined to do the job yourself (see my second point).

Keep us posted.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    the dealer says he will make it good, but still no answers as to what the real problem is... the car is not driven hard, but the indicator light tends to come on when the car is braked to a stop... I suppose the g-force of the stop could pull any 'pooled' oil away from the pump and or sensors. But I would think that would be a conditioni in all cars. I think all sensors are new at this point, but the condition persists. We'l see what the developments are with Wednesday's appt. Dealer has been great, but we are both losing our patience! Thanks of the ideas, I'll pass them on.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    Unless your oil level is quite low, it takes a lot of high-G maneuvers to starve the engine of oil. Race cars often use a dry sump oil system to preclude that from happening, and it is a rare street car that uses that technology or needs it. The low oil pressure sensor could be blocked up with crud, but that rarely happens if you follow the manufacturer's change and quality guidelines. On many cars, you can get an actual real-time oil pressure reading with an OBD test tool. Good luck, hopefully, it is a simple fix, and is in the montoring circuit, and not an engine fault. A bad ground or electrical connection could cause this, either in the dash, or in the engine compartment. They can sometimes be a pain to isolate. Corrosion on a connector or a connector that is not fully seated could do it too.
    Shipo - Thanks for the advice. Apparently the caliper was "wrapped"(?) and was causing my steering to vibrated a lot. I just moved here (MA) from the west coast and didn't really have time to search for a good shop... In any case, I got it fix now, but certainly will not go back specially to this dealer - Gallery BMW of Norwood MA. Not to mention poor service.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Apparently the caliper was "wrapped"(?) and was causing my steering to vibrated a lot.

Do you mean warped? I've owned, wrenched on, and tracked Bimmers since 1983 and you almost never see a warped caliper on a track toy, never mind a 100% street driven car. I guess that anything is possible, but it sounds to me like the dealer's primary goal was to flush a large sum of money out of your wallet. A fair price for BMW rotors, pads, and one caliper shouldn't exceed $830- and that's for a 540i. OEM quality aftermarket equivalents would run around $355-$600, tops.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• milner007milner007 Member Posts: 20
    I was just an an indy shop yesterday and they told me I will need front brakes soon- said it would be about $300. I had the front brakes replaced at the dealer in 2006 and it was $435. (I have a 2000 528i.)
  • chinchubbychinchubby Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me which are the best low profile tires to put on my 2002 525i ?
    Right now I have nexen 235/45ZR17 radial N3000 94W, it also has the steptronic,,which I use alot, and sport pkg,,My tires are ready to be changed asap...so a quick response would be much appreciated,,,thank you
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Michelin PS2s
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    It has been a while since I have posted data; currently I have 154,900 miles on my 2002 530i Sport 5 speed, 26.6 MPG at an average speed of 50.5 mph. Total maintenance costs are $13,159.22, $0.105 per mile.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I just replaced front pads on my 2000 528iT with Stoptech pads, which was less than $100 shipped. It took about 1 hr taking my time. If you can do oil change on your car, then you can change pads. It was the first brake job on this car (~52,000 miles) so I left the rotors alone for now.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Even though Munich wouldn't approve, you can almost always go through two sets of pads before you need to change the rotors- on a 100% street driven car, anyway...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• loupaloupa Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know the website where I might obtain 2011 BMW 535i prices and spec information addition to Edmunds?
    Loupa
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Well, you've basically done the equivalent of walking into McDonald's and asking where else you can buy a hamburger. :)

Instead, you might try one of the popular search engines.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews