Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    My thoughts: yes and yes. But don't take my word for it; go test drive a 525 sport and/or 530 sport, and make up your own mind.
  • jarbitaljarbital Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1990 535i. Really great car. But, one of the rear door lock actuators fused and won't work properly. I'd like to replace it but want to be careful taking the rear door panel off. Can anyone tell me how to take that panel off without damaging anything. It's the left side if that matters. Thanks a lot.
    Sorry, I have no idea, but you may want to post on the forums at http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e34/

I think you'd have more luck there.
  • rgwlrgwl Member Posts: 9
    I own a 2002 530I. I noticed a little nick on my plastic lens cover for the lights. Can the plastic Cover be eventually replaced by itself ? I've heard you may have to replace the entire headlight assembly. That would be $$$.
    I believe you would indeed have to replace the entire assembly, unfortunately. To prevent further such problems, I recommend XPel (www.xpel.com); the headlight protection kit is only $60 (far less than a new headlight unit) and relatively easy to apply; they also have kits for the hood, bumper, and fenders (harder to apply, but doable if you're patient and careful). Many on the bimmer.org forums have used them and like them.
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Hi,

Does anyone know if the current 5-Series uses a window grid antenna or the old power antenna rod?

I'm looking for a luxury car that still uses the power antenna rod. I have a window grid antenna and reception is nowhere near as good at the rod in my previous auto.

thanks,
  • mcq7159mcq7159 Member Posts: 20
    Hello all. I have a price quote of $43,150 for a new 2002 530i, 5-speed manual, premium package, cold weather package and xenon lights. Can anyone comment on this "deal" being offered to me in Connecticut?

Thanks in advance for any insights ... I'm a BMW rookie (or at least, a wanabee!).
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    To the best of my knowledge, all BMWs use a window grid. That said, the system in my 3-Series has superior reception to my previous car with a rod, and our other car, which also has a rod.

My suggestion, go for a test drive and test the radio reception during the drive.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Head over to www.eurobuyers.com, which has the list and (updated) invoice pricing for all the options. If the offer is roughly 4-7% above invoice, it's reasonable.
    You're picking your next car based on radio reception?! Granted, it's a luxury car as much as it is a sports sedan, but I suggest you go test drive one, and I would wager the radio reception is probably the last thing you'll notice (or care about).

But to answer your question, yes, BMW uses a window grid (they probably wanted to avoid any unnecessary antenna appendages), but FM reception is fairly good (AM blows, but then again it seems to blow on every radio--car or otherwise--I ever try).
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    The AM reception on my '98 540iM is poor but it is downright atrocious on my wife's '00 323iA. And I love listening to talk radio and NPR on AM! The FM reception in both is acceptable but not great. I prefer a rod. I actually like having both. Infiniti used to have a grid one for when you first turned it on but then it switched to the rod one as the power antenna rose. Think they called it something like dual diversity. Might have even switched signals while in use depending upon which brought in better signal strength.
  • jim52jim52 Member Posts: 161
    I believe Edmunds also has the updated invoice pricing.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    1943473, if I can save you some big bux, will you split with me? Try this: buy a Bose Wave radio, $600 or so, add the CD ... what the heck, go all out. Buy a Hyundai Optima (luxury car), plug the Bose into the power outlet, send me a check.

You're welcome!

Take care.
    Joe W.
    jwilson1... an inexpensive car like a Kia Optima or Honda Civic gets better radio reception than a loaded $50,000 530iA or $60,000 540iM? Ya gotta love all the speakers, DSP, etc. that are there to make your listening a true pleasure, and then what comes out when you listen to the radio??? Poor reception. BMW can and should do better with their sound systems. Don't think that is asking too much in this price range. Esp. if you have the optional premium sound system. Do you?
  • razteorazteo Member Posts: 38
    I don't want the CD-changer in the trunk!
    What I found out is that I have to pay over $1,100 for a "in dash single CD player" at any BMW dealer. Plus tax. Plus labor(labor at BMW is $90/hour, same as brain surgery!) The price is beyond ridicule, in my opinion, but I don't see any other solution..
    I went to "The Good Guys" and other places like that, and they told me is nothing after market compatible for my car.
    The only solution is to get a CD changer in the trunk for over $750(!), and I don't want the thing in the back! I want it in the dash!

What can I do? Did somebody know a solution for this? I got the feeling that I'm not the only one unhappy to spend over $1,100 for a $150 CD player, or to lisen to radio/books on tape...
    Thank you in advance for any kind of help.
    razteo
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The BMW Changer can be had for $400, and installation is very easy. Yeah, it's not in the dash, but for $800 less than an in- dash player I think I could live with it...
    I believe I've read the in-dash CD player can be had for roughly $500 from Pacific BMW, and installation is relatively easy (plug and play job). Perhaps there's an article on bmwtips.com about it...
  • compwhizcompwhiz Member Posts: 46
    $43k even sounds like a pretty decent price after the 1% invoice price increase. I picked up my exactly the same 530 sans Xenons for $42k before the price increase.
    I enjoy the sound of the engine. And I often enjoy, when I'm not on the xway beating heck out of the road, the sound of the wind when it rises and falls with speed on a winding road. And the engine when it winds up in second gear, and down in second gear, with the wind washing in.

I play the radio when I need to hear a traffic report. I've been known to listen to a CD or two once in awhile on a long trip across NY state. But ...

I like to imagine that the BMW engineers sort of feel like me, that the radio is a necessary and unpleasant intrusion on the wind and -- did I mention the engine. Especially with a BMW, I wonder if there is any music as sweet. Maybe, sure, but who cares in second gear?

My thought, and I'm not being sarcastic, is that people who think so much of sound should actually do like the kids on the strip; get an econocar and fill it full of wonderful speakers. Maybe a Lexus or a Lexus wannabe, something cushy that doesn't really care about second gear, or the wind, or the sound of the engine.

It's time for my treatment now.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    I totally agree with what you posted, I read in these posts about the poor sound system
    in the Bimmer. I have the standard 10 speaker set up and I am thoroughly content with
    it. It's the best sound system I've had in any car . My home system is probably superior
    but I don't hear the difference. I'm more interested in the wonderful growl of the engine
    and the sounds coming at you as you slice through space at 70 or 80 mph. Don't need to travel any faster than that either. Am thoroughly satisfied with Steptronic also, manual
    would be great but wifey can't negotiate a stick shift. Love, love this car( 530IA, step,
    xenons,fold down seats, alloys, sport and luxury pkg, and the wonderful Anthracite
    color and black leather). Couldn't possibly enjoy any car any more than this one. Gotta
    go now for an exhilarating ride down the coast. Best regards.
    I am debating between the Sterling Grey and Steel blue metalic. I'd like to see the color on a car before choosing but unfortunetly I have not been able to find a steel blue car on the lot. Has anyone seen one and if so what is your opinion on the color. I'd probably choose the sand interior to go with it. Again, any opinions. Also, the brochure lists black interior as the only one going with sterling grey. The dealers I've talked to said I could get it with any color interior. Has anyone seen a sterling grey with grey leather and if so how did it look.
    I saw steel blue on a 3-series when deciding on color (they didn't have a 5-series in that color), and it seemed too soft and, well, feminine. Just my opinion. I would pick the Grey, no doubt, between the two--much sharper (yet hotter in summer and more difficult to keep looking clean).
    FWIW, I chose Toledo Blue, and I'm very happy with it (especially with the Sand leather and Vavona wood interior).
    Thanks for your advice ... I'll follow your leads!
    I saw both the Steel Blue and the Sterling Gray in my "local" (45 minutes away) dealer's lot. Twice, in fact. The first day was overcast, the second day with bright sun.

I liked both colors a lot the first day. In fact, the word "regal" quickly came to mind when I first saw the Sterling Gray. The Steel Blue looked like a bold medium blue.

On the sunny day, the Steel Blue appeared almost purple from some angles (like those pearl-colored Revo sunglasses). As for the Sterling Gray, on the sunny day, every single speck of dust and road dirt (parked right next to a major street) showed very clearly. Almost as though the car was one of the two shades of black. I was very disappointed. The sales manager did say that the best color combination with the Sterling Gray was "without question" the sand interior.

The car that really impressed me on the sunny day was the Water Blue. Different enough in color so as not to be easily confused with the ubiquitous Titanium/Silver but also light enough in color not to show all the dust and dirt. A true character all of its own!

Are there any Water Blue owners/leasers out there that could comment? Any remorse or is everyone still pleased? Also, gray interior?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and good luck jim52!
  • chrism123chrism123 Member Posts: 47
    I went with the Sterling Gray w/ Black interior for my 02 530ia. Before ordering, the dealer had a Sterling/black and Sterling/gray 5-series on their lot. The gray interior did look nice but I thought the black looked better. I know that color selection can be very subjective. mcq7159 stated that his sale mgr felt the sand was the best interior color when ordering the Sterling Gray. My sales manager made the same statement. I would have been more comfortable making that decision if there was one on the lot. Otherwise I am very happy with my decision. For the moment there are very few Sterling Gray 5's on the road.

Chris
    530ia w/ PP, Step, DSP, Xenon's, Cold & Heated Wheel
  • razteorazteo Member Posts: 38
    Please tell me where to look, or give me the web address for that Pacific BMW, I will like to contact them regard my wish to change the tape with a in dash CD player.
    You know what? I asked all over, at all dealers around me, and they charge $515 +tax for the unit, and another $400 for "core", or something similar, is no way to get it witout that $400 tax!
    Please let me know how to contact that Pacific BMW.
    Thanks a lot. razteo
    I have no idea what that "core" is. Here are a couple dealers I've heard offer good deals on parts and accessories:

http://www.pacificbmw.com/

http://www.circlebmw.com/

As far as installation goes, like I said try posting on the bimmer.org forums, and someone will probably point you in the right direction.

• cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I love my 530i with Premium Sport in it's "ubiquitous" Titanium Silver for these reasons: a. it turns heads including mine on a daily basis b. it turns heads including mine on a daily basis c. it turns heads including mine on a daily basis.
    I could mention more, but why? (Just had to express myself!)
    What other costs, in addition to those listed on Edmunds, can legitimately be included in the calculation of dealer invoice? A dealer I recently spoke with had the invoice price around 400-500 higher than what I calculated. I think most of the difference was some advertising cost that they get hit with. How much is this? Through others on this board I have heard that a good deal is 1500 to 2000 over invoice. Are they talking about base invoice or "invoice" including all of the other costs? Do the dealerships get additional profit from other sources (i.e. holdback, etc.)
  • musafirmusafir Member Posts: 27
    I looked at three different colors Sterling Gray, Steel Blue and Slate Green or is it stone green. All 3 were good colors but I liked grey the most. I have ordered ST. Gray, black leather, steptronic, pre.pk., pr. sound, lubar and xenon. Would have liked to go with Sports and stick but wife didn't like it.
  • 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    I own a sterling grey with grey leather and I think it looks nice with a slight contrast. Initially, I wanted a siver/black combination but they did not have it on the lot. It is subjective when come to color choices, it comes down to what looks best for you since you are the one that is paying for the car. Personally, I like black/sand, silver/black, grey/black and of course grey/grey combination.

As for the invoice price, you add up base plus options and tag on mark-up on top of that( I paid 1700 over invoice for 530IA with SP,PP,CP). Additionally, they will also add advertising fee(200-400) as a separate cost on top of the mark up, make sure that they provide you with itemized costs that add up to the total quoted price. This way they cannot try to sneak in any hidden items that can surprise you later on. Just make sure you do your homework before you go in so you know what the invoice price is for your car. Good luck with your purchase.
    Thanks for the thoughts on colors. I'm starting to move away from the steel blue based on some comments I've heard and the fact that I can't find one to look at. If I get the sterling grey, I'm debating between grey and sand interior. Black scares me because of it showing dirt - I will occasionally have my kids in the car.

Did they add the 200-400 to your 1700 over invoice price or did you really get it for 1300-1500 over the "marked up invoice"? The dealer I spoke with considers the advertising fee as part of the invoice and seems to want to negotiate from there. Is that common? If so, should I still target 1500-2000 over or 1200 to 1700 over?
    To cmr530i: oops -- please take no offense!

I didn't mean to suggest your favorite color is now cliche. Rather, the "ubiquity" observation comes from noticing that every car in my 5-series brochure is Titanium Silver. There's obviously a very good reason they picked it, and I'm glad you love it. I'm looking forward to turning a few heads myself, starting in late May!
    For the record, my 1999 328i is Titanium Silver and I love the color. Just looking for a change of pace. If I do go with grey, I will no doubt have to get the car washed more frequently.
    Why worry about what others think? Buy what you like and want, both interior and exterior, taking into account the conditions in your area. I wouldn't recommend black/black in places like Arizona or Texas, but if that is what you like and are prepared to experience it, then buy it! If you like silver, buy it. Blue? Buy it. Pink or plaid? Pay someone to paint it for you!

Just go to some dealers to see the various combinations, check out the paint and seat samples in the books & brochures, etc. Have fun finding what you like and works for you.
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Thanks for all the input. Its not that I don't like the engine sound, its just that a luxury car shouldn't skimp on anything including radio quality. If its as easy to install a motorized antenna rod, why not do it. Sometimes while in traffic, a radio is better than listening to an idle engine.

I had a power antenna rod on my last auto and it never broke down for 7+ years before I sold the car. So having a window antenna to help the consumer isn't a good reason. Its more like cost cutting in my opinion.

Telling me that the engine sounds better and I probably won't care about the radio just confirms that the reception must be at best barely acceptable.

I like listening to a good sounding engine as well as the next guy. I have a weekend car that I use for that, but on regular traffic commutes its different.

So far it seems all newer models from Brand X is using a window antenna.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Hey everyone, if you get a chance pick up the latest copy of Auto Express. They have pics of the redesigned 5 series testing in the arctic. YES it does like the new 7 series and will include the i-drive like all future models...Check it out!
    Thanks for the replys, snagiel. I'm gonna put the headlamp protection (xpel) , but am going to hold off on the hood/fender invisible 'bra' seal. Not sure about something touching the paint on the car. What's your take on that ?
    I saw one today .... absolutely stunning.

193etc. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the reception was inadequate. No matter the reception, I'd rather listen to the revs, and my implication was that perhaps that was what the BMW engineers had in mind.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Does anybody know if tinting the back windows and back windshield of the 530i will affect the FM/AM reception. I've heard rumors that it could. Thanks.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    If you use a tint with a metallic base (charcoal eg), you will lose all AM reception. Stick with a black tint.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    is applied to the inside of the window. There is nothing changed between the antenna & the outside. I live in Arizona and can assure you that even the darkest metallic tints don't affect radio reception (including AM).

On the other hand, I have to lower my window when my garage door opener battery is low. It would otherwise have to transmit through the tint. Not the case with the radio antenna.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • vishnu11vishnu11 Member Posts: 59
    Can somebody scan and send me the new 5-er photos from the latest Auto Express mag. The photos are not on the website. Thanks!!
    Can anyone who's purchased a car from a dealer that may be some distance away share their experiences getting the car serviced at a local dealership. Is it harder to get appointments or loaner cars? Is the service as good? That's the only thing that makes me hesitant to expand my search beyond dealerships within 15-20 miles.
  • 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    When you look at an invoice you will notice that advertising fee is never part of that. Because it varies from area to area, I would not consider it as mark up and it is up to you how you want to negotiate with the dealer. I know some people refuse to pay for this but that does not always work. You can call up a dealer,before you go in, and ask them how much the advertising fee they will pass along to you, then it is up to you to decide how much you willing to pay for the combined mark-up and adv fee. You can also try to play dumb or tough(does not always work either) with them. Say, your target is to give them $1700 max for combined mark-up and adv fee and you know from calling them before hand that they will levy $200 for adv fee.

When you start negotiating, pretend that you know nothing about the adv fee and offer the dealer $1500 and if he accepts the offer then ask about adv fee(which you already know it is $200), he will then say $200 and you end up with your targeted price. Or if you want to play tough you can get up and walk but be prepared to sit back down it you think that he won't play since you know that is what you plan to pay anyway. If your dealer is honest(this is an oxymoron) he can show the real invoice for your car with VIN which includes adv fee amount in it.

On the other hand, some dealers will not negotiate with you this way. They will only use the sticker price as a starting point, that way they feel that they are in control because you are not supposed to know the invoice price. Like I said as long as you know what you are willing to pay for the car based on invoice plus mark-up and adv fee, you should not have any problem dealing with them this way at all.

When I bought my car, the mark-up was $1700 and $200 on top for adv fee which amounted to $2900 less than the sticker price. I personally hate the process for buying a car, especially, the negotiation step. The key here is you have to be realistic and do your homework before you start looking. If you are an educated buyer, you will know what you are willing to pay for a car that you want before you walk into a dealership. Some dealer will try to rip you off as much as they can with no shame.

I live in VA near DC, in VA all dealers will charge you up to $400-500 for what is called "processing fee" allowed but not mandated by law for processing the paper work, to me it is "rip off" fees. In MD, the maximum amount allowed is $25. All I am trying to say here is unless you know what you are doing they will prey on you. Just keep in mind, everything is negotiable but you have to be realistic and reasonable. You should stay away from any dealer that does not treat you with respect.

As for servicing, you can take your car to any dealership but loaner car will depend on each dealer. Some will let you have a loaner car only if you bought a car from them.

Again, good luck and keep us posted. Sorry for the long posting, I am not working today, that's why I have more time for doing this.
  • indylowflyerindylowflyer Member Posts: 148
    No experience with another dealer, but they can make more profit servicing a car than selling one over the life of the vehicle. You would think they would roll out the red carpet, regardless of where you purchased.

I service mine at the same dealer I purchased, and so far have been very satisfied.
    Nah...Applying XPel to the hood/fenders/bumper isn't a concern because of the direct contact with the paint. The film is transparent to virtually all light waves, so the paint won't fade. And even though it's stuck on pretty tightly, you can remove it (permanently) by warming it up and pulling back slowly, without any damage to the paint.

The concern is the manner in which you'll apply it. It's conceivably a do-it-yourself job (which I did), but I suspect if you shelled out the $250 or so for an experienced shop to do it the results would be cleaner and more professional. It's just that applying the material around curves and edges takes some practice to get right and prevent air bubbles and wrinkles.

If you're interested in going forth and doing it yourself, I'd be happy to give out some pointers based on my experience.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The smart dealers treat you just as well as their regular customers, hoping that you will buy from them next time. That said, many dealers "punish" those who don't buy from them.
  • seqedgseqedg Member Posts: 11
    How do you know when the redesigned 5 series will avail in the US. My dealer says it will be avail Jan of 2003 and you say not until 2004 - which is it and how do you know?
    Dealers, I'm afraid to inform you, are usually among the last people in the world to find out about new models and details. Some stay on top of things and listen to the industry news/gossip, but many others just hear things thirdhand during coffee breaks and have no clue about these things.

Numerous magazines and publications--including the latest Roundel magazine (published by BMWCCA, through well-placed sources)--indicate the new model will appear at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September 2003, debut in Europe shortly thereafter, in North America early 2004.

For it to arrive here by next winter, far more details and pictures would inevitably have leaked out by now.