Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• colt007colt007 Member Posts: 64
    The first car I drove (in 1980) was a 1972 Caddilac Eldorado convertible (yeah baby, crusin'!). I was almost as cool in the Eldo as anyone who drove a stick ;). I always wanted to learn stick, just never did. The Eldo may have made me lazy in that respect. I never eat, drink, read the newspaper or any of that crap when I drive automatics. With the responsive I6 in the 530i, even w/ the auto (& sport package), you feel totally attached to the car. It feels like me with wheels. Sticks to the road like nothing else. Yes, I'm probably missing alot not having the stick (my SO hates them), but I do feel like a real 'driver' in this car (& my 300M).

Colt.
    Got it. Love it. Didn't really want to do anything aftermarket. If you spend alot of time in the car & you like music, go for it! Although, someone once posted that they didn't listen to the radio alot because they loved the sound of the engine. I totally understand that also!

Colt.
    I fueled up the same way you described not to. I haven't seen the service engine soon light up yet. Won't do that again. Thanks.

Colt.
  • chpqdkchpqdk Member Posts: 7
    The lease on my 99 540 6 speed runs out in two weeks. The car has only 40,000 miles on it and a residual value of $37,500 but the dealer is willing to certify it for 100,000 miles and sell it to me for $34,500 with 3.95 financing. This is my 5th BMW (my second 5 series) and the best of them all. This seems like a good deal to me but has anyone received a better offer at the end of their lease?
    The '04 5 should be another good one. We really love the 5 just the way it is. Like shipo (I think it was you), we plan to keep this car in the family a long time (just got rid of a '91 Buick). It will look as fresh in 15 years as it does now. '04 Lex GS: I won't hate on the car (bro inlaw has a '99 GS400), its just not for me. Although one of my buddies says I have the American version of the GS in the 300M, they look like brothers to him.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Was forced to learn to drive an Automatic from the get go and here I am 10 years later wanting one each time I get a new car and haven't been able to get one for one (good) reason or another. When I turned 16 and got my license, I wanted a stick so bad. My Dad said he wasn't about to teach me how to drive stick on a brand new car (which was to be mine) and we had nothing for me to learn on (His 1987 5 speed Ford Bronco II had died 2 months before I got my permit & he wasn't going to teach me on his 1966 427 Big Block Corvette Roadster). I ended up with a 1992 Chevy Beretta GT (3 speed automatic, how ghetto is that). All through the years of driving that car I had learned how to drive a stick on friends cars & even went to a dealer and test drove cars to further my learning experience:) Time came and went, and after I replaced the camshaft at 60,000 miles on my Beretta I decided it was time for a new ride.

I was determined that this car would be a stick. I ordered at 1998 Nissan Maxima SE with a 5 speed. The car I wanted never came in (the dealer kept jerking me around) so I said forget it. My Dad suggested I get an Explorer Sport since the dealer where he bought his Ford Explorer from was running this awesome "pay $6422 and drive a loaded 1998 Ford Explorer Sport for 2 years/24,000 miles." The explorer was only available with a stick if you opted for the 160hp pushrod engine. So for 2 years I drove the truck with a 5 speed automatic and a 205 hp SOHC V6.

The lease on my truck ended and I had been living in the city and needed a car, but didn't need anything too fancy (but still wanted a stick). My Mom suggested that if I get a FWD or AWD car with an Automatic, then my parents would pay for half the lease payments. She said this so she could drive my car in the snow (as she was afraid to drive her RWD CLK in the snow). I ended up with my Saab and am happy with it.

But...I swear this time around that since I'm buying and nobody has to drive my car but me (cause my mom got an AWD A6), I'm getting a stick. I'm very close to inking a deal to get a leftover 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH (which only comes in stick).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

go get that M3!
    I live in NY, purchased the car in NJ. Dealer would not/did not get the car inspected since they're in NJ. Where would you get your new 2002 530i inspected at? We're about 2 weeks past the 20 day temporary sticker the dealer gave us.

Colt.
    Go to a gas station or tire shop (any place that still does NYS Inspection). Try Mavis Discount Tire & Auto off of Rte 59 in Nanuet.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Check out the following link:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm#safeinspect

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • mlbmwmlbmw Member Posts: 11
    when my wife and i shopped our 530i two month ago, we compared the sound with and without DSP, the premium sound let my wife could not go, she told salesman the premium sound is a necessary option, otherwise she won't buy.
    actually, the '04 lex GS look like not bad (only can look front, not rear), but it still can not compare with currently BMW 5 series, that is why CR gave 530i highest rank.
    but i am a little worry about next 5 series, the style doesn't attractive, when it release, maybe people will change idea to buy Lexus, but currently 5 series beat anyone now.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    mlbmw... Your story seems to fit some research. Latest issue of C&D has small article about a Honda (UK) survey done with Glamour (UK) magazine. 63 percent of women said the most important thing they wanted in a car was... music.
  • mlbmwmlbmw Member Posts: 11
    Riez, you are right, no only music, i found women also look and care styling of car more than handling and sport. that is why i am thinking next 5 series styling will lose some customer, specific women, because currently 5 series is invulnerable for everything.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Yikes! I must apologize for the 63% of misdirected women out there that buy a car for music! How embarrassing! Glad to be a part of the other 37%!
  • bmw5and7fanbmw5and7fan Member Posts: 5
    Hello everybody. I finally decided to ignore my friends' concerns about BMW reliability, high maintenance cost etc. and bought a BMW for the first time. It is a 2000 528i service loaner with approx. 9,000 miles about 9 months ago. The dealer provided me an extended warranty for 4 1/2 years and 55,000 miles from the dealer for no extra charge, supposedly because I traded in my LS400 (too perfect but a little boring).

I have had no problem so far whatsoever with this car (almost 20k miles now). I have neither driven nor owned before any car (including MB) with this kind of perfect balance between handling and comfort, plus the linear response from the powertrain, and the quietness. The sound system is definitely not as good as the Lexus's Nakamichi, but that's OK.

It is the Ultimate Driving Machine (for the money anyway)! Well, perhaps second to the 740i with the Sport package.

New5&7Fan.
    bmw5and7fan... Just curious. Since your '00 528i was a service loaner, I'm assuming it is an automatic. Likely has premium package but no sport package? What else? Did you get it thru a BMW dealer? CPO? Or from another dealer (Lexus)? Is the warranty from BMW or a 3rd party?

My wife bought a nicely equipped '00 323iA service loaner that had 18,000 miles. She bought it from a BMW dealer so her's is CPO to 100K. She loves it.
  • zubazuba Member Posts: 58
    Question: I currently drive a 98 Maxima GLE with the Bose Stereo. Ever since I was a kid I can always remember people saying how awesome the Bose stereo was, and now I have to admit it is all I will ever need in a car. I am sure there is better, but I don't need/want the opera in my car!!

How does the standard BMW 5-series stereo compare even to the Bose - anyone know? Is it better, the same, or a lot worse!!

All and all, at age 37 most of my Ted Nugent/AC/DC - Van Halen - days are over, so it is talk radio for me anyway - but I would like to know!

Once in awhile to relieve some anxiety I like to crank it up!
  • vishnu11vishnu11 Member Posts: 59
    ...is ok for talk radio, but if you want to crank up music where the bass is relatively low (70s classic rock eg Allman Bros or Skynyrd) and is not recorded with head-banging bass to begin with, then the weakness of the base audio will readily show through.

Besides, the upgraded audio also gives you a 5-band equalizer plus a couple of extra speakers.

Also read my earlier post on why I decided to go for the DSP audio.

And no, even the upgraded audio cannot match the Mark Levinson in the Lexus, but it is adequate.

Vishnu.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    I've heard the Bose systems and am impressed with them, but haven't done a back-to-back comparison against the 5-series DSP system. Music and sound systems are highly subjective; that's why some people swear by the DSP system, and others think its worthless. There is some science to it, but there's also an artistic component.

But if you mainly listen to talk radio, I think a $15 Radio Shack monaural handheld would be sufficient :)
  • zubazuba Member Posts: 58
    Question: I currently drive a 98 Maxima GLE with the Bose Stereo. Ever since I was a kid I can always remember people saying how awesome the Bose stereo was, and now I have to admit it is all I will ever need in a car. I am sure there is better, but I don't need/want the opera in my car!!

How does the standard BMW 5-series stereo compare even to the Bose - anyone know? Is it better, the same, or a lot worse!!

All and all, at age 37 most of my Ted Nugent/AC/DC - Van Halen - days are over, so it is talk radio for me anyway - but I would like to know!

Once in awhile to relieve some anxiety I like to crank it up!
    ship, nyc, thanks.

Wifes response: "let some stranger drive my car??!! You take it & drive it in for emmisions test!"

My response: "Yes dear". Any excuse to drive. (haha)

Colt.
    ...is ok for talk radio, but if you want to crank up music where the bass is relatively low (70s classic rock eg Allman Bros or Skynyrd) and is not recorded with head-banging bass to begin with, then the weakness of the base audio will readily show through.

Besides, the upgraded audio also gives you a 5-band equalizer plus a couple of extra speakers.

Also read my earlier post on why I decided to go for the DSP audio.

And no, even the upgraded audio cannot match the Mark Levinson in the Lexus, but it is adequate.

Vishnu.
  • mcq7159mcq7159 Member Posts: 20
    My new 530i 5-speed with premium package, cold weather package and xenons has crossed the Atlantic, passed through the New Jersey prep center, and arrived yesterday at my dealer (75 minutes away, but by far the best price). Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the trip to pick it up for 10 or 11 eleven days. This is the hardest part of the wait!

This board has been such a wonderfully useful source of information. What should this rookie know in advance about the delivery process? I will own the car, not lease, and therefore really want to get it right. Anything special I should check for? Any hiccups to address before driving off the lot? Should I be tempted by extended warranties beyond the factory standard?

Sorry to sound naive, but I want to have this car a long time and can't afford the driving time to and from the dealer if problems are discovered that could have been taken care of delivery time.

I appreciate your experience and expertise!

Thanks in advance ...
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    Congratulations on finally getting your car - almost!

Of the questions you asked, the one I'll address is extended warranty. This is based more on opinion than experience, but I'm sure others can fill in. The E39 is now a mature design and has a decent reputation for reliability. That said, however, when repairs ARE needed, they can be expensive. If you plan to keep yours a long time, that can be a factor. In the short time I've had mine, I had an entire headlamp assembly (incl xenon) replaced due to condensation under the cover. It was a warranty repair at no cost to me, but they showed it as a $2,100 job! That one job would pay for an extended warranty. Cheaper warranties are available from 3rd parties, but someone here has pointed out that they can lead to problems due to small print exclusions and the chance the insurer may go under. All in all, I would give the BMW extended warranty serious consideration. I don't know if it must be purcahsed with the new car, or if you can do it before the original warranty expires.
    Congratulations...I'm sure you'll love it. I haven't thought much (or read about) extended warranties, since my car's still new ('02 530i, 5-speed, sport, lux, cold, xenon, DSP, shades). From my understanding, though, you can certainly wait to purchase an extended warranty package until the manufacturer's period expires.

As for checklist, there's a fairly comprehensive one at http://www.fool.com/Car/Worksheets/DeliveryChecklist.htm, but it's obviously generic. I wish I could impart some personal knowledge from my delivery, but since I did it at the Spartanburg Delivery Center, it was an exhaustive and professional two-hour process that left no stone unturned.

The only recommendation I have is: Watch that tachometer needle closely. Although I knew full well about the break-in period, as soon as I left the parking lot (with 3 miles on the odometer), I accelerated out and within a second or so I had bumped up against the redline. It just raced up much faster than I expected. Boy, that was a fun day I wish I could relive...

There is a very detailed checklist specific to BMW that someone once put out, I believe on Roadfly. Sorry I can't recall how to get to it now, maybe I can dig up the link later. I believe it has been referenced a number of times on the Edmunds 3 series board -- if you ask over there, someone may be able to post it for you.
  • tigrhwktigrhwk Member Posts: 5
    Hi. New poster here ... like this board a lot. Is anyone familiar with invoice pricing and why the dealer's invoice might be different from invoice listed on a web site (Eurobuyers.com)? Am looking at either a 525 or 530, European Delivery. Eurobuyers.com shows invoice prices consistently lower than invoice prices given to me by the dealer. If timing matters, the Eurobuyers.com invoice list is states "effective Sept. 1, 2001" (for 2002 model year), while the dealer quoted me invoice prices yesterday. Do invoices change during the year? This is a bit puzzling to me, as it makes quite a bit difference in pricing the car. BTW, dealer is asking over $1,900 above "invoice" (what he calls "profit"). This seems a bit high but is better than the $2,900 above-invoice "profit" they typically seek (or so says the dealer). Can anyone shed any light on invoice pricing?
    You're looking at the wrong invoice pricing sheet off of eurobuyers.com

BMW raised the invoice prices of its cars by 1% as of January 1, 2002. Check out the pricing of the "revised 5 series invoice pricing" on the eurobuyers pricing.

$1900 over invoice sounds a bit high. Many on this board are getting Invoice plus $1500.

• rlowrierlowrie Member Posts: 30
    Tigrhwk- If you look on the Eurobuyers site you will find a Revised 2002 5 serices pricing list. This list is as of January 1, 2002. You are no doubt aware of the large invoice price difference between US and Euro Delivery. As I have been in the same process I have seen on the board deals for Euro Delivery of ~1200-1500 over Euro Invoice. Good Luck
  • mcq7159mcq7159 Member Posts: 20
    ... pap5 and snagiel ... I'll watch that redline and look on Roadfly and the 3 series board.

Appreciate your help!
  • alcardsalcards Member Posts: 10
    Man, you were a victim of misdirected parental concern (not teaching you stick and not letting you buy one). My own dad never supported me wanting to learn music because "musicians can't get away from parties and alcohol" but regarding driving, he thought I should learn on this 1953 chevy pickup that had a somewhat busted shifter with bad sincronizers (needed double clutching). So, after that, every car was easy and today I enjoy the short, precise throw of my 530i manual transmission. Although I have driven many automatics (wife's car, rentals etc) my cars have allways been manual and the BMW is the best ever. But I can't play a musical instrument.
    Appreciate the responses. Will re-check Eurobuyers for the updated list. BTW, would it be wise to ask a dealer straight-out if he/she would deal on a car at a certain amount above invoice ... suggesting, say, $1,200? Or is it better to let them talk you through pricing first, and then come back with the question?
    It's absolutely appropriate and wise to come right out and ask a dealer if they'd be willing to meet a certain price goal. Many will even be willing to do this by phone. In my experience, it's best when you--the buyer--are either in control or share control over the buying process. Aggressive dealers will prey upon shy, tentative buyers and take advantage of them. I'm not suggesting you go into the dealership with guns blazing (although I've seen guys do this), but don't be afraid to steer the conversation and bring up pricing when you feel comfortable doing so. Any dealer who gives you the runaround isn't worth your effort or time, and let them know this upfront.
    Again, thank you. This is very helpful.
    Woohoo!

Here's the calendar: Dropoff: 3/20, Bremerhaven 3/25, boat 3/28. Will post when it arrives Stateside.

By the way, you can track your car about a week after it is put on the boat by putting your VIN in www.wlna.com cargo tracking.

Snagiel - you are right - Owner's Circle still shows the dumb "produced not shipped" and an equally dumb flash animation to the same effect.
    It has Steptronic, Premium but no Sport package. I bought it from a BMW dealer, Advantage BMW - Clear Lake in Houston, Texas. The warranty is from BMW. No CPO.

It did not have a CD player. I bought a CD changer (Alpine unit, I believe) from Pacific BMW, and installed it myself. 30 minute job.
    bmw5and7fan... So essentially you got the remainder of the original 4 yr/50K new car factory bumper-to-bumper warranty?
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Congratulations!!! Your heart will forever race when in your 5er. If this is your first BMW, as it was mine, my advice to you is to keep your distance from other cars and objects until you get a feel for the length of the hood. The drop off of the hood is deceiving at first. You really can't see where you car ends from the driver's seat. It is longer than it appears. Happy motoring!
  • vanaldervanalder Member Posts: 29
    I believe I had good luck by approaching multiple dealers within my 'pickup range' by email
    and/or fax. Quoted to each one the invoice prices for USA delivery and for ED.
    Asked them first to correct any errors in the prices (there were none, as eurobuyers.com was
    corrrect). Then, simply asked for how much OVER the total invoice - for here and ED - I could drive the car out of their shop. No MACO, no 'processing' fee, no 'NUTHIN' over that fixed
    add-on to the invoice. Some dealers will tell you that ED is non-negotiable and simply is
    7% under U.S. MSRP (as I remember it). This is not true.
    I went ED. I was going to Europe anyway, and the price was right. There are other savings
    keyed to buying it in Europe - sales tax, licensing, etc. related. Good luck. Daan
    Yes. It was extended for 6 more months and 5,000 more miles by the dealer in writing as part of the sales contract.
    bmw5and7fan... Surprised you didn't have this BMW go CPO. Did you discuss CPO with dealer? Did you consider CPO? If not, how come? That would've given you an additional 50K miles and 2 years of warranty.

What, exactly, was extended by the dealer? The BMW new car factor b-to-b warranty? Thinking only BMW AG or NA could do that. Or is he giving you some coverage from a 3rd party warrantor? Or just agreeing to do parts & labor work during the period, either free or reduced prices? Is there a deductible to what the dealer extended?
  • lgrosslgross Member Posts: 55
    I have the standard 2002 radio. CD and FM quality are decent as long as boom bass isn't your forte'. However AM is distorted on speech. It is listenable, but tiring to listen to for long periods. I tried another 2002 at the dealer with the same results. BMWNA said they recognize the problem and are working on it - that was four months ago. Haven't heard from them since. I suspect the DSP radio isn't any different in that respect.
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    My new 530i now shows 3400 very enjoyable miles on the clock. The car is so much fun to drive. I have some questions:

1. I recently purchased a passport 8500 radar detector. The manual cautions again mounting it on a windshield with a soft anti-lacerative coating on the inside surface. Does my BMW have this coating? Also, where is the most effective place on the windshield to mount the detector?

2. The front seat seat-belt shoulder anchor at the center pillar of the car is adjustable, however I cannot seem to manually adjust its height. The height does change when the seat is moved forward and back, but not when the seat height is adjusted. My wife complains that the belt cuts too high across her neck and would like to lower the belt. Can the height be manually adjusted?

3. I saw the other day a new M5 driving with its fog lights on and the halo lights around the headlights on, but the headlights themselves were not on. On my car, this combination does not seem available. What gives?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
  • kidswainkidswain Member Posts: 7
    I spoke with dealers from Momentum BMW and Advantage BMW in Houston, TX. I inquired about any additional charges outside of agreed upon invoice prices. Both described a large market advertising fee in the range of $500.
    They also said there was a $160 dealer training fee assessed by BMW and a dealer prep fee of approximately $360.
    Have any of you encountered these fees?
    Also, Momentum BMW quickly balked at the idea of $1500 over invoice on a new 530.
    Any input is appreciated.
    I did not consider CPO because (1) we do not think that we'll keep the car beyond the 4 1/2 years and 55,000 miles of b to b warranty, and (2) it costs quite a bit more for a CPO, even though it should be good when resale. We would trade it for the new 5er sometimes in late 2004 hopefuly.

The BMW dealer agreed to extend the b to b warranty from 4/50 to 4.5/55. How they arrange it with BMW, or if they simply pick up labor and parts, I do not know. As far as I am concerned, there is no out of pocket expenses for me if that extended warranty is required.
    I've got just about the same mileage on my '02 530i, and have loved every minute of it. It still puts a smile on my face, and provocatively urges me to drive far faster than I need/should :)

Here's some answers:

1) I, too, have the Passport 8500. Mounting it on the windshield is fine--I haven't had any issues with it. Ideally, I think the best location would be to the left of the rear-view mirror just under the tinted part of the windshield, but placing it there restricts opening the visor. Therefore, I placed it directly below the rear-view mirror, but leaving a little bit of room just above it to ensure its viewability is clear in all directions. I hard-wired the unit with the optional ($10) wire (you can order from escortradar.com or their 800-number), following the instructions at http://www.bmwtips.org/. I went a step further and tucked the power cable between the top of the headliner and the windshield (it snakes down to the left and behind the rear-view mirror) for a very clean install.

2) Good question. In the manual it states what you discovered--that it automatically adjusts based on seat position, but there's no mention about manually overriding it. I'd ask the deal if they can adjust the passenger side to better fit your wife's preference.

3) You can have your lights behave the same way, unless you have the daytime running lights (DRL's) turned on. Simply turn the lights on to the "parking" position (one notch to the right of off), and turn on your fogs to the right of the steering wheel.

I bought a service loaner - 2000 528i - last year at Advantage BMW - CLEAR LAKE, not the one in downtown Houston. There was a charge of $387 for "Dealer Services" and $50 for "Documentary Fee". There was neither $500 for advertising nor $160 for training fees. Don't know about charges for new cars these days, however.
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    Give up on the Houston dealers entirely -- call Garlyn Shelton BMW in Temple. That dealership has no advertising fee or "training fees" or "dealer prep" fees. Every dealership in Texas is going to have a $50 doc fee though. Ask for my salesman Jef Sims -- he's young and "hungry". The phone number is 254-771-0128. You can do most stuff by phone and fax.
    Here's the link to the delivery checklist I referenced yesterday. It actually starts with a countdown of major milestones begining 10-12 weeks before delivery.

http://www.geocities.com/diver00/checklist.htm

• neuwoehnerneuwoehner Member Posts: 1
    Plan to buy either a '94: 530 or 540 today. The 540 got a new engine at 67K the car has 71K. The 530 has 84K. Do you have an opinion as to which car to buy and do you know of any particular things to look out for?
    Thanks....new to bmw
    Steve