Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    Took a 1300 mile trip down to Bavaria and Salzburg last week while friends were visiting from the states. Stayed in Garmish and took the cable car ride up to the top of Zugspitze (Germany's higest peak), and went to Salzburg for one night. Of course the ladies insisted on the Sound of Music tour.

If you are picking up your car in Munich, Zugspitze is worth the 45 minute drive. The cable car ride is 33 euros, but if you are a skier, that also takes you to the slopes, and a lot of people were on the slopes last week. Should be good for another couple of weeks or so, I think.
  • TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    My dealer had no problem at all in getting me a 530 with only the options that I wanted , and it came in $10K less than the 540. I had to wait a few weeks, but most people spending $40K+ on a car are going to take their time getting what they want anyway, not just take what the dealer has to offer them on the lot.
  • joseph40joseph40 Member Posts: 17
    postoak - Seems like you got a better deal than I did. Based on information I had at the time, $2000 over invoice was the lowest I had seen so I went with that price as my offer price. All the dealers in Houston either would not discount ED (Advantage Downtown and BMW North), or wanted more money (Advantage Clear Lake +400; Momentum +900; and Garlyn Shelton initially +500). Garlyn Shelton eventually came back and said they would do the +2000 so that is what I ended up with. When are you going to pick up your car? My delivery date is May 7.

kidswain - Good luck and I know you will enjoy your car.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Is there anything left out of the CPO warranty that is included in the bought-new warranty?

Thanks.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    The CPO warranty doesn't cover as much as the bumper to bumper like the original manufacturer's warranty. If you check out BMWUSA.COM, there's a section of what's covered and what's not covered under the CPO warranty.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    I posted yesterday asking anyone out there how long it usually takes from build date to dealer. By coincidence, my dealer called to say my sterling gray on black 5-sp/PP/CWP/Xenon arrived today! (It took 30 days). Should be ready Friday. I may have to visit it on the way home today :)
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    While the CPO coverage is pretty comprehensive, it is still less than the original factory new car bumper-to-bumper warranty. Plus there is a $50 deductible per visit. Still, if you get a used BMW, going CPO is a pretty smart way to do it.
  • rwolprwolp Member Posts: 11
    I drove 530ia and 540i6sp and while the 530 drove great, I opted for the 540. Call it status, power, or a macho thing, but I wanted the V8 and the car is absolutely amazing. That said, I could afford it, but if I couldn't I would have gone with a loaded 530. I have 1800 miles and I always get a smile on my face when I get in. FYI, I cannot imagine the car w/o premium sound. It isn't that great, but I can only imagine what the stock stereo sounds like.
  • taylorttaylort Member Posts: 31
    Has anyone experience excess tire noise after around 10k miles?
    I have a 2001 530 with Sports Package(Michelin 235-45-17Y) I have noticed that I am hearing more road noise now. I currently have 12K miles on the car but I started to notice this around 8k or 9k and it seems to have gotten worst.

Anyone out there experience this?
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    At my local dealers lot, almost all the 530s I see on the lot have Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Xenon, Cold Weather. Just over $45K on the sticker. I don't see them loaded to the max with options.

When will the 2002 model year end for this car? Its clear now that the new E60 will be a 2004, how many more 2002 E39 allocations will dealers get?
    nyca... Just the 4 options you mention puts the MSRP at $45,770. But that car lacks the premium sound system ($1,200) and Comfort Seat ($1,200) I often see on 530iAs. Add those and you're looking at $48,170. And there are still plenty of other options one could add (PDC, Nav, split-fold rear seat, rear airbags, etc.)
  • tigger33tigger33 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know when the redesign of the 5-Series is due out? I've heard both 2003 and 2004.
  • boxsterboxster Member Posts: 28
    2001 540iA, sports package. 4000 miles, CPOed. 3+ years left on factory warranty. Florida car.
    does $49000 sound good price? I have to spend another $1K for shipping, plus tax.
    It's hard to find a 01' model now.
    boxster... Probably is just me, but I can't see spending that much on even the nicest used 540iA SP. Price seems a bit too close to what you could get after negotiating really hard on a brand new '02 540iA w/SP.

What was the original MSRP of this car? What other options does it have in addition to Sport Pkg?

Who was the original owner? Why did the original owner sell it off so soon? Make sure to run a CarFax Report. Pore over the service records. Have a mechanic familiar with BMWs look it over carefully. (I'm too suspicious when it comes to nearly new low mile cars being sold. Makes me wonder if it was in an accident, water damage, lemon, etc.)
  • zubazuba Member Posts: 58
    Friend "snuck" me into an auto auction last week. This auction had 3 2001 530's, all with Premium Package, Sport Package, Cold Weather, and Xenon - they were all BMW Execu cars - all coming to the auction directly from BMW. In other words, they were not dealers unloading suspicious BMW's!!

2001 Black/Black 3,000 miles $39,500
    2001 Maroon 12,000 miles $38,000
    2001 Black 11,000 miles $41,000

Food for thought - not bad prices if you ask me! I just wish you could CPO a car being purchased at an auction!

Add $500.00 to the guy bringing me to the auction, $100.00 for detail, and some paperwork!
    How many of you would this scare???
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Even though the car wouldn'r be CPO's, you still have Free Maintenence for the duration of 3 years and the balance of the factory warranty for 3 years/50,000 miles.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• rlowrierlowrie Member Posts: 30
    I looked at a calendar and realized that if I order my car in the next couple of weeks for ED it won't be ready till August. If I pick it up in late August (or amybe early Sept due to personal schedule) I may not have it back here until late Oct or early Nov! What a depressing thought! Couple of questions regarding Europe. I have been told that Europe essentially shuts down in August- is this true for Germany as well and what implications does this have for traveling there at that time. Also, if I get the car back here (Wash DC area) in Oct, are the tires that come with the 540i SP okay for our resonably mild winters or will I need to swap them right away? ANy thoughts would be appreciated.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    You can order a car in a shorter time frame than you are looking at. I ordered with only a 6-week gap from ordering date to ED pickup (next week), my dealer just did an "Allocation Swap" where he took a car from his allocation and gave it to the ED program, which gave him a car for the following month. Essentially, if you order by 1-May, you could be taking delivery by mid June.

As for float time, given that you are on the east coast, you could easily have to only wait between three and five weeks for your US delivery, not too bad.

With all of that said, if you do decide to take delivery in August, you will have lots of company on the roads. I have done bicycle tours and driven around Europe during "Holiday" time, and it can get very busy, which means full hotels, eating places and of course, heavy traffic. I found that if I kept off the major motorways, I was able to avoid most of the crush, and find a place to sleep as well.

On the topic of tires, well, that seems to be more of a "Religious" thing. I live in Northern New Jersey, and I do not drive with winter tires, however, if I do wind up moving my family to New Hampshire, you can "Bet your Sweet Bippy" that I am going to mount winter tires on my 530i SP.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    I'm in D.C. area also, and sprung for a set of winter tires on aftermarket alloys for my '01 530i with SP. Never mounted them - they sat in my shed all winter. I think of them as an insurance policy. Even though our winters have been mild lately, there have been exceptions - remember '93 and '96? When the weather finally does turn nasty, I don't think you want to trust the fat summer tires on the back of a 540i SP. Even though you won't need winter tires in Oct/Nov, I recommend not waiting too long into winter to buy them, since Tirerack's inventory thins out.
  • compwhizcompwhiz Member Posts: 46
    I've owned 5 cars in Chicago, and my '02 530 is the best of them all, especially in terms of handling. If you don't get a sport package(which I don't recommend for Chicago unless you really want performance and the hassle of switching tires twice a year), stock tires are just fine, and DSC will set you straight on ANY surface. :) If you decided to do new 530 or do an ED, I'll be happy to connect you with the guy I bought my 530 from. After my research, it was definitely the best price in the Chicagoland, and the service is awesome, too.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    The '02 model year will end production in August, and the '03 will start appearing on lots in October, give or take. Allocations should be steady until the new E60 (which will probably start production fall 2003), and arrive in the US in early 2004.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I know of at least three peple with 540i-sports in the DC area that do not switch to winter tires. However, they all have at least one alternative vehicle - SUV or other - in the household.

Also - I have heard mixed reviews about Tire Rack. Forgot which forum, but some "out of round" tires were shipped and the return process was a real hassle. I just checked in with Radial Tire Company in Silver Spring for replacement tires on my Honda S2000. Their quote was within $10 per tire ($155 vs $165) of Tire Rack and, from my past experience, they are very reputable. Check them out.
    Yes, I understand there are other options. All I am saying is that when I've cruised through a few lots in New Jersey, I see the configuration I mentioned on many 530iAs that are in stock on the lots. Last time I was at Circle BMW, they had 6+ cars like that. I don't know if those just happened to all be identically equipped cars that people had actually ordered that way, or the dealer had just ordered them for stock (do they do that with this car, or are they all essentially built to customer order?) with this same "package". I don't know the answer to that.
  • tigger33tigger33 Member Posts: 14
    So when you mention the E60 for '04, I assume that is the redesign and '03 will be like '02?
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Sounds as if the current E39 production will end in August of 2003, with the new E60 production to start in Sept. of 2003. Does this sound right?
  • tiger8tiger8 Member Posts: 120
    I'm in the market for a 525i or 530. What dealer (and salesman) do you recommend in Chicagoland? Thanks for your help. (P.S. What do you think of the 525? Underpowered?)
    Correct to both: the '03 5-series will be virtually the same, and production should continue until roughly August-September '03. This is what I've gathered from multiple publications.
    Did y' notice that in Edmund's list of the 10 vehicles with the most insurance claims, the 5 "made it"?

At last: something not to like!

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Due to recent discussion about fuel tank capacity, range, and reserve I paid more attention than I normally do. Kept the range reading on the entire time. Had to take some business trips and didn't fill up as often as I would. In my '98 540i6 the yellow low fuel warning light came on with 75 miles range showing. I filled it up late Tuesday with 45 mile range showing on the computer read out. She had gone about 449 miles. She took 18.01 gallons.

Owner's manual shows 70 liter capacity (or about 18.5 gallons). And it also mentions having a 10 liter reserve (or about 2.6 gallons). But it is completely unclear to me if the reserve is part of the total 18.5 or is in addition to it. With the yellow warning light coming on with a healthy 75 mile range remaining showing, has me wondering if the reserve isn't part of the 18.5 capacity.
    I'm 95% certain the "reserve" is in addition (i.e. your tank is about 21.1 gallons). Here's why: I recently filled up just as the the needle pointed at the "E" (at which point logic would dictate it starts drawing from the "reserve"). According to the pump, I squirted in 18.67 gallons; unless the pump or the manual are inaccurate, my tank is larger than 18.5 gallons, and therefore is most likely 20.5 gallons (530's reserve is 2 gallons).
    Inquiring minds want to know but I'm too cheap (or too smart?) to test the discussion in the real world. Run the tank bone dry, running out of fuel and then seeing exactly how much fuel it takes? Maybe someone could run it really far down next to Empty then just let it idle at gasoline pump island until it sputters out of fuel??? Seems like one way to get the information! :)
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The fuel pumps on BMWs do not like to be run dry. Premature failure often results.
    Had my CPO '98 540i6 in shop yesterday for couple items.

The airbag warning light is now off. They replaced the "sensor mat for passenger recognition" and "electronic control unit for passenger recognition". They also replaced the "idle speed control valve". Total cost for both was only the $50 CPO deductible.

I've driven her about 7,000 miles since last oil change and still have a couple more green lights indicating till next service interval. So I asked them to change just the oil filter and top her off with the recommended synthetic oil. Cost me only $11.00.

To ensure great tire wear and best driving experience possible, I also asked for 4-wheel alignment ($98.50) and 4-wheel computer balance ($39.50).

And kids broke the rear cupholder ($34.15).

All in all, pretty reasonable and not the fleecing horror story many are afraid of.
    Some of this "lists" don't make much sense to me. Honda Accords are always on the top stolen list, which is a big payout for an insurer. Yet, its listed as one of the least expensive cars to insure. You can't steal a BMW unless you carjack it or tow it. I think many insurers see a client with a "high end" car, and just milk them for extra $$$s.
    I don't think anyone swipes an Accord (or CAmry, another one high on the list) for a ride. They're used for parts on used cars and will be stolen even if they're ten years old.

The list was for new cars.
  • jim52jim52 Member Posts: 161
    I pick up my 2002 530 tomorrow. Just called my insurance company to get the price. I believe its cheaper (maybe the same) to insure per year than my 1993 honda accord was before I got rid of it last year.
  • ttc136ttc136 Member Posts: 17
    To bimmer owners, which car will be your choice when you consider to purchase your next one? go for another make or still bimmer?
  • gearmangearman Member Posts: 30
    While it's an interesting test of a new car to judge when the low fuel warning light comes on relative to remaining driving range, BMW-NA, and most manufacturers, recommend generally refilling the tank at around the 1/4 level during mild or warm weather if you plan to keep the car past the mechanical warranty period.

Repeated operation of the car with the tank at very low levels, can cause the submerged electric fuel pump to operate at somewhat higher temperatures due to the fuel in the tank acting as a 'heat sink' to absorb and radiate thermal energy from the pump.

Repeated operation of the fuel pump at higher temperatures will shorten the fuel pump life.

In the same manner, it's advantageous to keep the fuel tank relatively full in cool damp weather if the car is not going to be used for extended periods. Over time, atmospheric moisture can condensate onto the interior surface of the fuel take, resulting in a water build up in the tank. use of a hydrosorbic fuel additive will mitigate this problem.

Fuel system moisture can cause problems over time, and some bmw stores will debate whether the repairs are covered under the warranty.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Have a 323i now. Will buy a 330i or 530i next. Problem with the 530 is that I must have sport package, but don't want/need leather (which is required on the 530). The price difference of the cars equipped the way I would buy them is $9,000. I'm having a hard time justifying the extra money for the 530.
    I have a 328i which I will be returning to the leasing company on 30-April. I am taking delivery of a new 2002 530i next Wednesday in Munich. As for what I will drive after the 5er, that is a hard call, if the new E60 looks anything like the spy photos, I may be forced by Chris Bangle to leave the BMW camp.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Even though I have a 330i I just couldn't resist jumping in. When I got the Bimmer and got rid of my other car I was expecting more insruance sticker shock. In fact I nearly fell on the floor when the insurance company mailed me an overpayment of $12.00. In New Jersey 99 Jeep GC Limited and 2002 330i - $2500 yearly premium. Just the wife and I with clean records. Very reasonable or so I thought.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    These are the reasons I came to own a 530 BMW:
    safety, performance, reliability and style. As long as BMW continues to uphold the highest standard to these issues, I will continue to buy BMW.
  • musafirmusafir Member Posts: 27
    I purchased an X5 last year, and am in the process of leasing a 530. I am taking ED. Can anyone suggest a hotel in Munich and how is the parking situation there. Thanks.
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    This fuel capacity thing is just a fun theoretical discussion because I'm sure no one wants to cause premature wear to the fuel pump per gearman's warning. However, as I posted the other day, I am not proud to report that 18.825 gallons went into the tank with the computer still indicating that there was another 12 miles to empty. The owner's manual is a little confusing, but on page 173, it provides the fuel capacity on two lines. Line one at 18.5 and on line two, the reserve at 2.0 or 2.5 gallons. Therefore, my guess is that capacity is 20.5 or 21.0 gallons.

As for riez's latest fuel fill up, going 449 miles on 18.01 gallons is 24.9 miles per gallon. I looked at my 2002MY brochure and the rated MPG for a 540-6 is 15 city, 23 highway (I am assuming your 1998 is rated the same). riez, you beat the offical highway mileage rating on the car by almost 2 mpg. And I'm sure you were not going the speed limit all the time nor were all the miles highway miles. How can this be? Does this mean I can get over 30 mpg highway on my 530 5-sp? It is rated at 30 mpg highway. I'm going to test it tomorrow using the car's consumption computer at various speeds and see what mpg's I get. All of this is just for fun, I guess. Does not matter one way or another. But just curious.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Not to answer on behalf of riez, but I don't think it is uncommon to exceed the highway EPA rating for a pure highway trip.

I have a 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed rated at 27 mpg highway. On trips from DC to Pittsburgh and back, I generally average at least 27-28 and have gotten as high as 30.5 mpg on a tankful, setting the cruise at 70mph +/-. The car now has 124k miles and on the last pure highway trip, I got 283.2 miles out of 10.01 gallons, for 28.3 mpg.

Relative to the 5-series, I have a business associate with a 2000 540iA sport and his brother has a 2000 M5. They went from DC to Wilmington NC last year on a golf trip and, on the trip down, got 25.5 and 24.0 mpg respectively (ratings 23, 21). They were going a steady 85-90 mph on I-95. The winner of that contest was my buddy with a 1999 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel, who averaged over 35 mpg for the whole trip, including a bit of in town driving!

I suspect that cars with 6-speeds, including my Honda S2000, will actually get better milage at 70-75 mph than the EPA rating, which I believe is based upon an assumed 55 mph.
  • vishnu11vishnu11 Member Posts: 59
    Country Inn by Carlson on Frankfurter Ring, right opposite the Niederlassung dealer and about 15 min from the Munich drop-off. I believe that the parking is 8 Euro/night, though I did not have a car to park (picked it up and dropped it off right away due to lousy weather). If you are in the mood for something more fancy, try the Bayerische Hof and the Kempinski.

Vishnu
    My 1999 328i has a rating of 19/27, however, on my trips to New Hampshire and West Virginia (each of which have been driven at least three times), I have averaged over 34 MPG with an average speed of something over 70mph.

As for what the EPA does in testing, I remember reading somewhere (like 20 years ago) that the EPA calculates the highway mileage at something just above 45 MPH! What's up with that?

Given the gearing that most cars from Germany come with, 45 MPH in top gear is seriously lugging the engine, and that cannot be good for a mileage rating.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    1. I'm hoping all of us are aware that allowing your BMW to run out of gasoline--no matter what the reason, and even if for our little research project on fuel tank size--is NOT good. My research suggestion was in jest.

2. I'd like to think that someone somewhere can find the definitive answer to whether the stated 18.5 gallong fuel tank does or does not include the extra reserve gallons. Is almost embarrasing that we can discuss so much about our cars and yet we don't know for sure exactly how many gallon of gasoline they hold.

3. Most of my driving is either interstate, 2-lane State Highway, or 2-lane county roads. My small town has 2 stop lights and I don't drive my 540i6 around town much except to get on a highway going out. The 540i6 is an efficient highway cruiser. Though I do try to get her into 6th gear as quickly as I can, set cruise control at 64 mph (2-lane) or 74 mph (interstate), and just enjoy the drive on business trips. She turns over about 2,100 RPMs at 74 mph.
  • duckdoggerduckdogger Member Posts: 6
    What was the issue on the mid-90's 3 litre V-8? Bad block casting? Was it widespread or smaller? By 77,000 miles, would the problem be expected to have surfaced?

Thanks, Paul, pvg6372@msn.com
  • needluxurycarneedluxurycar Member Posts: 3
    I will be reading old posts as I am trying to decide whether I should buy/lease a new BMW, Lincoln LS or and Audi. Have a nice day.