Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• reorge56reorge56 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all who responded....I am going to test the 525 - (not even going to try the 530....I dont want to upset myself....) My gut tells me to go new as I dont want anyone elses problem and I hear a better deal could be made going new than CPO (also free maintenance etc.)- I am looking to lease @ November anyway. Does anyone know...If I do decide to go new, will the car have to ordered or will the dealer be able to find one through a number of local dealers? Are their cars sitting at all on lots or do the majority of new BMW's come from orders - (seem like everyone is waiting for theirs....) Just want to know what time frame I am looking at if I decide new... Thanks to all for the advice. Will test drive and let you know.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    It depends on your flexibility. Some people (the Consumer Reports type who reads about the 530 and decides to buy it) may simply go to a large dealer and basically pick something out they can live with. This is why most of the cars on the lot typically have the premium package, with a handful of sport package models. But many options--manual tranny, xenons, premium sound, cold weather package, for example--may be much tougher to find, especially with the interior and exterior colors you prefer. That's why most people--or at least most enthusiasts on these boards--are perfectly content to wait 90-100 days to place an order for a model that suits them exactly as they choose. But if you want a car sooner and are more flexible with the colors and options, you may very well either find something close to what you want in your metro area.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    *Chuckle*

"Rag, as usual" refers to the fact that in several years of watching, my friend and I never saw a really desirable car (SL, Corvette, XKE, 911, etc…) that was driven by a woman, or had a female passenger, where said female personage was not totally desirable as well.

Now, y’all must understand, we were in our late teens then (mid 1970s), and being PC was not exactly high on our personal agendas, quite simply, we were on the lookout for beautiful cars and beautiful women (not necessarily in that order ;-)), and I must say, while I saw a few gorgeous women driving less than killer cars, I NEVER saw a really choice car being driven by a woman that was, ummm, errr, a notch or two below “Fashion Model” status.

All of this leads to the comment “Rag, as usual”, which in the 1990s could have been altered to be, “Rag, as usual, NOT!”

My how times have changed, after writing this, I feel like I have fully consumed BOTH of my feet. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • patellipatelli Member Posts: 24
    Why do our US spec cars get limited to 128 mph?

Is there a way to undo this without going to those chips that change other aspects of the car's engine?

TIA,
    Patelli
    My understanding is that the 128 is for insurance reasons. Personally, I don't have a problem with it as I seriously doubt I will ever hit the limit again (as I just did in Germany last week ;-)).

That said, if you really want to remove the limit, I believe that Dinan (among other tuners) sells a new chip for the OBC that will remove the limit.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    While I'm sure the lawyers do want it to reduce some liability, guessin' BMW also might like it to (1) hold down costs by using H-rated tires (up to 130 mph) that are less expensive than higher speed-rated tires like V or Z, and (2) differentiate the much more expensive 540i6 and 540iM Sport models. If you shell out $55,000 for you 540i Sport, bet you don't want some "lowly" 525i or 530i getting close to or near your car's top speed???

I always wonder about the liability excuse, because the after-market chip companies seem to stay in business just fine and they have a heck of a lot less capital and should be financially pressed if there really are any liability issues.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    It doesn't seem very fast on paper, but like shipo says he hit it in Germany and some cars were blowing by him. I just can't even think of when and where it would be appropriate (not to mention safe) to hit such a high speed and want to go faster for an extended peroid of time.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Those of us who are able to drive across Nevada and/or Montana (&, to a lesser extent, other Western states) are blessed with 15 - 20 mile or more straight stretches of road, with maybe a gentle turn or two, where it's possible to neither pass nor meet anyone.

Eat your hearts out.

OTOH, I only do a road trip once a year now, rather than monthly as I did in my sales days.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    The only reason to have a car here in the States that goes faster than a “Buck Thirty” is for bragging rights, given that they have no real (or even imagined) practicality in this country. In Europe, the roadways are designed and build specifically with this type of driving in mind and driver training is far more rigorous, so there is a practical application (sort of) for a car that can do 250/155 (kph/mph) or better. Even then, I was on roads that were about as open and ready for high speeds as possible in Germany, and sustaining even the modest 120 something that I was doing was difficult.

So, IMHO, if you want to go faster here in the States, buy a small plane.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Which costs more, the $12,000 car or the $15,000 car? Sounds simple, but as we all know, the purchase price isn't all that's involved in the true cost of a vehicle. Check out the article and new tool at Edmunds.com:

True Cost to Own (TCO): Revealing the Hidden Costs of Car Ownership

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/59897/article.html

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I'm not sure about either of these possibilities. As far as insurance, I'm not sure what the standard models come with, but the ContiSportContacts on the sport models (at least on the 525 and 530) are either W-, Y-, or Z- speed rated, which can handle 149+ mph). As for the intentional top-speed segregation, the 128 limit is in the US; In Germany, all these models (I think) are limited to 155 (a gentleman's agreement between German manufacturers). So in fact a 530i will keep up indeed with not only a 540i but an M5 there as well (unless they allow the precious M5 to break that rule).
    snagiel... Liability laws and tort concepts are entirely different in Germany than America. And in most of Europe. Europeans far more willing to accept personal risk. Far, far harder to sue and win suit. For example, Brits and I believe others have loser pays legal fees system. Don't think most, if any, readily allow contingency lawsuits, which are at the heart of our liability crisis in America. If you gotta pay a lawyer up front and at their hourly rate, really limits all the nuisance and frivolous lawsuits. (Remember the huge multi-multi-million dollar initial judgement against BMW in a southern State (MI? AL?) a couple years ago from the disgruntled guy who didn't like the paint job? That can only happen in America! Ain't life here grand?)

Willing to bet you that those lower speed-rated tires on the non-Sport 525i and 530i do save BMW some cash.

And for the Sport-equipped 525i and 530i, keeping them at 128 mph does help BMW justify, even if only in a small way, the price differential between them and the 540i6 and 540iA Sport models. I wouldn't pay $55,000 if my car couldn't go a heck of a lot quicker and faster than a $35-45,000 model sharing same platform. But maybe that is just me? :)
    I am aware and agree that the legal systems in most European countries certainly dissuade more frivolous lawsuits than do the US courts. But if a W-rated tire blows at 135mph, that's grounds for a rather legitimate lawsuit.

Perhaps the engine ECU (which governs top speed) isn't aware of whether the model is a sport model or not, and therefore can't enforce it differently regardless (the exception being with the 540i6sp, since they're all sport models).

As for the perceived speed "value," are you being serious? For a couple hundred dollars any 530 owner (not sure if the 525 has the power) can have their speed-limiter removed and run right up to about 155 before massive air resistance prevents any further acceleration. You really think that 155-limiter on the 540i (we're talking about a single line of software on the ECU here) is a "value-added" asset compared to the 525/530?
    snagiel... Given the prominence of the top speed limit on the tech spec page in the 5 Series brochure, BMW certainly isn't trying to hide the fact of the 128 mph vs 155 mph limiters. So they know their buyers will know. And they also know that most people won't shell out the money or time to buy the chips.

And BMW also controls whether they'll resist warranty claims if you install a chip that removes the speed limiter. Guessin' BMW's lawyers might be inclined to say that any engine or transmission problems could be linked to that significant alteration, esp. if they see you have driven the car at speeds in excess of 128 mph after having the limiter removed or altered.

How much does Dinan charge for the chip and the labor? Don't they provide their own supplemental warranty? As long as you go thru them and the BMW dealers associated with them?
  • bluewater5bluewater5 Member Posts: 55
    From the Edmund's link above, the insurance on a 530 is around $1900 vs. $1500 for an MB E320. Anybody else surprised by this difference?

-Bob D.
    I was surprised by the amount that TCO is predicting for insurance as well. However that is because I will be paying $1,100 per year for my 530i here in one of the most expensive insurance areas of the country, New Jersey.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • woobahwoobah Member Posts: 21
    Just how much do you lose if you decide to purchase a new 525 over a 530? Are the residual values in terms of percentages the same for both vehicles? Does the 525 have the same build as the 530 except for not as much power? And, is the power of the 525 adequate for most drivers? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
    Thanks. Maybe they are quoting for younger drivers :-) The higher average age for MB owners may factor into the cheaper insurance.

I'll be following your trail a bit (ED pickup June 24, Paris dropoff in early July, pickup from Mike at Park Ave. after that) so I appreciate your comments.

BTW, where is the Paris dropoff on Fock Ave? The address does not give a street number. Is it near the Arc de Triomphe or do you know a cross street?

-Bob D.
    Point by point:

Other than power and the availability of a few options, I don't think you lose anything by going with a 525i.

To the best of my knowledge, the residual percentages are identical between the 525i and the 530i.

The build quality is identical between the 525i and the 530i, they both come off the same production line, and until the drive train goes in, and the model designation is stuck to the back, there is no difference between the two I6 engined models.

Given that the 525i is still faster than the vast majority of cars on the road, I would say that its power is adequate for most drivers, and then some.

If the 525i is something you are interested in, go and drive it, I suspect that you will be glad that you did.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • rwolprwolp Member Posts: 11
    I know there were some posts on this previously, but I don't think the question was ever resolved, namely: what is the actual capacity of the fuel tank. I ran my 540i6 to where the range was 5 miles and filled up over 18 gallons. This was approx. 2 gallons of milage after the red light went on, which according to the manual is with 2.5 gallons left. The gauge was on E. So does anyone know definitively whether there is another 2.5 gallons left in the tank when I filled up? Does anyone know how to confirm this with BMW? And why does it matter? I drive a lot and generally hate filling up unless I absolutely have to, so if I have another 30 miles, that would save me a bunch of time/effort. Not to mention I'd just like to know once and for all.
    Hmmm, the Paris address for E.H. Harms is less than specific. That said, I must have driven right past it on Foch. If I remember correctly, this is a VERY wide boulevard, with what amounts to a "Service" road between the main boulevard and the building along it. Since Foch is not very long, I wouldn't suspect that it should be too hard to find, simply drive along the Service road (1 one-way lane on each side of the boulevard of relatively slow/sane traffic flow, with "Angle" parking off to the right) first in one direction, and then the other, I suspect you shouldn't have too much problem finding it. Also, while you are at the ED Center in Munich, you can ask them for VERY specific instructions on how the find E.H. Harms, Paris.

Good luck. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • indylowflyerindylowflyer Member Posts: 148
    I have a 540i 6-speed and once got caught out on low fuel and ran for several miles with the miles to empty gauge reading zero. When I filled up it took 19.3 gallons. The capacity is 18 gallons plus 2.5 gallons reserve. As has been discussed, it is hard on the fuel pump to constantly let your tank run so low. Just as a side note, last summer with premium gas at $2.09/gallon, I had a $38.00 fill up. Ouch!
    Shippo-

On your ED trip, what did you do to remain within the break-in guidelines when driving on the autobahn? I'm interested in ED delivery on my next 5er, but not at the expense of exceeding the suggested break-in period. I don't think I would be able to resist a 130 or 140 m.p.h. jaunt on the autobahn even if it wasn't for a sustained period.
    Some have said that the 525/auto. is a bit underpowered while the 525/manual was fine. The auto suffers by 0.5 seconds in 0-60 vs. the manual for the 525 (with only 0.2 sec. difference in the 530/540). Does any of this matter? Maybe not.

Note that the 530 actually gets better gas mileage than the 525 with the 5-sp, but it may take a while to make up the price difference.

Personally, I ordered the 530 but "skimped" otherwise (PP, Xenon, rear airbag, & rear shade but no premium sound nor sport package). With ED and a reasonable markup, This kept the price to just over $40k, and I get a "530" on the back.

-Bob D.
    Yes, I did in fact remain within the break-in guidelines, for the most part. I did briefly step over the 4,500 rpm limit while passing a couple of trucks on a two-lane road, I was almost past the second truck when suddenly a car coming from the other direction (and moving REAL fast) came around the curve in front of me, so I kept my foot into it a little longer than I had planned. At worst, I think I hit 4,800 for less than a second, and to my way of thinking, that is a non issue.

Also, while on the Autobahn in Switzerland, I hit 105 mph a couple of times trying to get out of the way of faster moving traffic coming up on me from behind, however, 105 does not take you over the 4,500 limit.

That said, when I crossed the magic 1,200 mile limit, I stood on it and took it all of the way to the limiter, which is 132.5 (indicated) on my car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Incidentally, a fill up in France on my 530i cost me $80! Now that is an OUCH!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    Well, I am sure shipo will put up his usual insightful answer soon, but as I did the same, I thought I'd put something up as well. I did about first 250-300 miles in city, then took a 700 mile trip. I kept the car under 4000 RPM, regardless which gear I was in. I also varied the speed by about 5 to 10 mph every 30 minutes or so, and that probably was the most difficult part. I stayed above 80 most of the time, but below 105. I think 105 is about 4000 RPM. Once I passed the 1200 miles, I accelerated past 4000, but stayed below 6000 for a few times, and cruised around 100 or 110. It helped that I had snow tires on until about 2 weeks ago, which limited my Vmax to 210 km/h, or about 130, but I gave a bit of margin and stayed below 110 during and following the break-in.

Even if you wanted to go faster than 130, your limiter would stop you cold. Your indicated speed ay say 130-something, but BMW speedos are somewhat optimistic, to the tune of 5% or so.
    Shipo/john01- Thank you for the info. How fast would the 6-speed be going if the tach read 4500 rpm, even though you would probably be exceeding the 105m.p.h limit? Just curious.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    It's worth pointing out that German law limits the speed at which trailers can be pulled. Net result is that the RH lane is full of vehicles pulling trailers, whether commercial or weekenders. It's not required to run wide open on the Autobahns. And, as has been pointed out, very often due to proximity to cities or construction, speed limits are set at 60 (100 kph) or lower. It's entirely possible to drive 60 mph (100 kph) all day on the autobahn without troubling anyone.

That said, at least on the A5 that I use to get to Switzerland and back, as well as several other SW German divided roads the "not" 130 kph sign is often in evidence, as one leaves a speed-restricted area. Traffic willing, knock yourself out.

By the way, NEVER PASS ON THE RIGHT. I wasn't born knowing that, but it's serious law in the Fatherland.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    indylowflyer

I see that shipo has already beaten me to it. I am not sure what speed the 540 would be turning, as mine is 530. I assume it is 540 you are referring to with the 6 spd?

A good road for the ED'ers to let it out is A95 from Garmish to Munich. If you happen to come back to Munich after your travel and have gone past 1200, it is a great place to let it out. Minima traffic, at least twice I was on it, and about 40 minutes of unlimited section. On top of that Garmish has some beautiful sceneries and great drive through the mountains.
    Garmisch, big time. We spent our first night there; WOW is the scenery nice (at the very foot of the Alps), with many picturesque buildings and such. Given that my 530i had something like 0 miles on it when we left Munich headed toward Garmisch, I kept it on the two-lane roads for the entire distance.

As for the RPMs of a 540i 6-Speed, according to my calculations here is what the following 5ers turn at 100 MPH:

3,508 -- 525iA
    4,315 -- 525i
    3,427 -- 530iA
    4,014 -- 530i
    3,080 -- 540iA
    3,452 -- 540iA SP
    3,195 -- 540i 6-Speed

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    As for the RPMs of a 540i 6-Speed, according to my calculations here is what the following 5ers turn at 100 MPH:

3,508 -- 525iA
    4,315 -- 525i
    3,427 -- 530iA
    4,014 -- 530i
    3,080 -- 540iA
    3,452 -- 540iA SP
    3,195 -- 540i 6-Speed
    3,581 -- M5

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    It has been a few years, but our last trip to Germany was based out of Fussen, near Garmish-Partenkirchen and other quaint towns. I remember the open drive to Munich and picturesque scenery.

I am taking the family to Munich, Salzburg, and Fussen for a week before heading to the Black Forest and Paris for a second week plus. I am looking forward to scenic drives in a new 530. I'll need to balance my interests (BMW factory tour, Bier Gartens, driving, etc.) with the family's (Munich Olympic Site, Sound of Music Tour in Salzburg, Eiffel Tower), but I am hoping we all will be happy.

-Bob D.
    shipo... Just for you, tomorrow I'll get my 540i6 up to 100 mph and write down the RPMs.

Model.. Gear Ratio x Final Drive = Overall Ratio

540iA.. 0.80 x 2.81 = 2.248
    540iASp 0.80 x 3.15 = 2.520
    540i6.. 0.83 x 2.81 = 2.332
    M5..... 0.83 x 3.15 = 2.615

The C of d for each is =.31. (All are for 2002s.)

I'm just wondering if there would be a 115 RPM difference between the non-Sport 540iA and the 540i6.
  • woobahwoobah Member Posts: 21
    Hi all, I have loved reading the posts on this board. I am posting this on the 3 series board as well. Here is the deal: I would love to purchase the new 5 Series BMW, but it looks like it will not be out until 2003, and I have been reading a lot of posts about letting the bugs be worked out of a new redesign of the first model year. So, it could be another two yeas before the new 5 Series is ready for purchase.

My question is: What is the best way to go now, in terms of buying a BMW? I want to get a BMW that will give me a good resale value in two years, so I can move up to the new 5 series. So, should I save some money over new, and buy a 2000 or 2001 3 Series, 5 Series? Or, should I buy a new 3 Series, or 5 Series, which would give the most value from the needs I have listed. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
    I did the similar route. I had some friends over from the states and took them down to Bavaria. Stayed in Garmih for 2 days, visiting Zugspitze, Neuschwanstein and then Salzburg. We did the Sound of Music tour and we had a great time. Just did not have enough time to visit all the nice place along the Deutsche Alpenstrasse route.

Have a great time, I am already thinking about driving down there again.
    Riez,

Since you decided to call my bluff ;-), I decided to make my calculations a little more accurate. So without further ado, here are the new numbers:

New# -- Old# -- Car
    4,231 -- 4,315 -- 525i
    3,439 -- 3,508 -- 525iA
    4,315 -- 4,315 -- 525i SP
    3,508 -- 3,508 -- 525iA SP
    3,936 -- 4,014 -- 530i
    3,360 -- 3,427 -- 530iA
    4,014 -- 4,014 -- 530i SP
    3,427 -- 3,427 -- 530iA SP
    3,020 -- 3,080 -- 540iA
    3,473 -- 3,452 -- 540iA SP
    3,214 -- 3,195 -- 540i 6-Speed
    3,516 -- 3,581 -- M5

Woobah,

Another possibility is to go for a two year lease on either a CPO or a new car, then, when the E60 is out and ready to rock, you simply cut your best deal on the E60, turn in the lease car, and you are good to go.

FWIW, I know folks are pretty consistently recommending that first year models are to be avoided, and in the case of the E39, that was certainly good advice, however, the 1999 E46 328i sitting in my garage that I don't officially have any more, was a first year model, and it only suffered two burned out taillight bulbs. Not too bad in my book.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    woobah... I completely concur with shipo. If you want a 1-yr-old E60 5 Series then best thing to do today might be to lease a new E39 for only a couple years or lease/buy a CPO E39. That way you'll have the lease amount of cash tied up and will be in a good position to buy an E60 or maybe lease an E60 in 2004/5.

I wholeheartedly agree about avoiding first year cars, esp. very complex ones like a 5 or 7 Series, or MB E or S Class.

shipo... I'll let you know the 540i6 100 mph RPM number when I come back from my trip to Omaha this afternoon. It's a tough assignment but someone should do it and I'm up for the task! :)
    Making choices has been tough. For example, we may skip the trip up to Berchesgarten on the travel day between Munich and Salzburg. Instead, we may stop for lunch near the Chiemsee and get to Salzburg a little earlier. Tough choice, but we want some time to relax instead of always being on the run.

We decided to make 2-3 night stands and tour from there instead of changing hotels every night. I hope this helps.

-Bob D.
    shipo... Doing my testing this morning "east of Omaha" (as Bob Seger was sang), with light wind from the northwest and 63 degrees F...

50 mph = 1,475 RPMs
    65 mph = 1,900 RPMs
    75 mph = 2,200 RPMs
    85 mph = 2,500 RPMs
    100 mph = 3,000 RPMs

Note: All windows up, no A/C or ventilation in use, and cruise control on.
    I understand what you mean. I did try to pack in a lot of stops when I was planning, but then there was no way we could have enjoyed it while running around like a chicken without a head. I would say you can spend good 4 to 5 days b/w Munich and Salzburg to make all the stops.
    Hmmm, interesting, what tires are you running on the rear of your 540i 6-Speed?

My calculations were for a car running Michelin Pilot Sport tires in the size of 255/40 YR17, with a calculated "Revs Per Mile" of 827.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    shipo... Don't forget that the 540i6 has different sized tires front and back. All four of mine are Yokohama AVS dB:

Front: P235/45ZR17 93W
    Rear.: P255/40ZR17 94W
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    Bluewater -- We dropped our 530i off at the Harms on Ave. Foch last July. It is in a large underground parking garage that it shares with a Shell station. I'm sorry, but I can't remember on which side of Ave. de Malakoff, the major cross street, it's located. As I recall, there is a Shell sign visible from the street, but not one for Harms. It was a little difficult to find -- I believe we went down a ramp off of Foch, on the right (north) side as you drive away from the Arc de Triomphe. Once inside, the Harms office itself is small and not well marked. You find it office along the side, away from the actual parking area. The only marker I can recall to give you is that it is near a reserved area at one end of the garage, where owners keep their exotics and semi-exotics (Ferraris, Astons, Masers, etc.) behind a plastic chain.

Negotiating huge traffic jams on the Friday afternoon before Bastille day, we were lucky to get there not long before they closed. We had to put the car in a parking space, where we were told it would sit until the following Monday or Tuesday. The spaces are narrow, a scary prospect if your car will sit there several days. When I picked it up stateside, however, there was no damage at all. Also, the first-aid kit, warning triangle, and Bavarian tourist plates were still with the car. Good luck.
    Thanks. I am driving in from Reims and think I'll just drop the car off the first day and use the Paris subways while there.

-Bob D.
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    We also dropped off the car first, before even stopping at our hotel. It may have been paranoid, but I just didn't want to break myself in on the notoriously bad Paris traffic in my shiny new 530i. In fact, this led to a major inconvenience -- funny in retrospect -- as we tried to get to our hotel sans car. We had planned to take a taxi. While we were underground, it started raining. The Harms attendant tried to call us a taxi, but no luck. We ended up dragging 3 weeks worth of luggage (2 females in my family -- packing light is not an option) through the maze of Metro tunnels and over several blocks at street level. When we arrived at the hotel, the doorman eyed us very suspiciously.

Your itinerary closely parallels ours -- Munich, Salzburg, Fussen, Paris, etc. Speaking of biergardens, try the one in the Englischer Garten in Munich, by the Chinese Tower. Friendly, good food, and even an ompah band playing in the tower.
    Ok, now that I know the tires, it does make a (albiet, very small) difference, according to my calculations here is how it all works out:

3,215 RPMs @ 100 MPH -- 540i 6-Speed w/Michelin Pilot Sport tires
    3,211 RPMs @ 100 MPH -- 540i 6-Speed w/Yokohama AVS dB tires

So, according to the numbers, we are about 200 RPMs off, any theorys as to why?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    After Fussen, we stay in Oberkirch in the Black Forest for 3 nights. Then we have just 1 night in Reims before Paris for 5 nights.

I wanted to see some of the Champagne district, but maybe I should leave Reims early enough to drop the luggage and family off at our hotel in the opera district and take the car back myself. By that time, I may need an extra suitcase to handle the shopping of my wife and 2 girls.

I am at the Marriott in Munich near the Englischer Garten and will check it out.

-Bob D.
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    Shipo-

Did you take into account the compression of the tire against the road and therefore smaller diameter? This should increase the number of tire revolutions per mile.

-murray
    shipo... Don't know why the disparity; however, the mathematical model only accounts for a few variables when there are a lot of variables. The real world results include all those variables.

Of course, there is variability between cars even in same marque & model! Maybe my engine is more powerful than the average 540i6's? A guy can hope, can't he??? :)

Here is more data, but this time from my wife's '00 323iA non-Sport (PP):

50 mph = 1,750 RPMs
    60 mph = 2,100 RPMs
    65 mph = 2,250 RPMs
    75 mph = 2,575 RPMs
    80 mph = 2,775 RPMs
    100 mph = 3,550 RPMs

This was with windows closed, A/C off, and cruise control on. I also had 210 pounds of small children on board but only a 1/4 tank of gasoline.