Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Unless my thinking is off from too much coffee, rpms with a manual are not effected, by load of car, a/c on or off, windows open or closed etc. Your gas mileage would be. Since there is no slippage due to a torque converter there is always a direct formula between gear, speed and rpms.

With a manual for example, in 3rd gear going 50, your engine should always register the same number of rpms.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    kdshapiro... Is not my forte. Nor am I an engineer. So if I add 2,000 pounds of weight to the car, the engine won't have to rev higher to produce a desired speed in a chosen gear to offset the extra weight? Like Mario Andretti, I love to drive cars and leave the mechanical work and physics concepts to those more intelligent than I am! :)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    On a car equipped with a manual transmission, the only reason why the RPMs would fluctuate due to load, would be if the clutch was slipping. If you add 2000 pounds of weight, you will have a more open throttle setting, allowing more air/fuel into the cylinder, causing more power, however, the RPMs would remain the same as if the car was going down hill with the wind fully aft.

The same cannot be said for a car equipped with an automatic transmission, unless said transmission has a “Fully Locking” torque converter, which most higher end cars have these days (like all BMW automatic transmissions). Hence the fact that the 323iA driven (primarily) by Mr. Riezs’ wife indicates nearly the same RPMs as my formula would calculate, 3,550 (posted by Riez) and 3,508 (calculated by my formula).

One of the “Givens” that I have programmed into my spreadsheet is the “Revs Per Mile” for each tire as posted on the TireRack.com web site. The tire that I am using for said “Given” is the Michelin Pilot Sport, which seems to be a tire which would generate one of the highest speeds at any given RPM of the tires of any given size. My rational for using that specific tire, is that I see it on most of the recent 5-Series cars that I have looked at (including my 530i SP). I am using this “Revs Per Mile” number because it takes into account the differences between tires of any given size, regardless of manufacturer, model, rolling resistance or compression. As a “For Instance”, consider the following chart of tires, all of which match the “Spec” for the rear tires that are currently mounted on the Riezmobile (540i 6-Speed), which is 255/40 ZR17:

Dia. – Revs. – Tire
    24.9 – 833 – Yokohama AVS Sport
    25.0 – 825 – Kumho ECSTA Supra 712
    25.0 – 829 – Yokohama A520
    25.0 – 833 – Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22
    25.0 – 833 – Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP
    25.0 – 834 – Sumitomo HTR Z
    25.0 – 839 – Dunlop SP Sport 9000
    25.1 – 823 – Sumitomo HTR Z II
    25.1 – 827 – Michelin Pilot Sport
    25.1 – 830 – Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position
    25.1 – 845 – Bridgestone Potenza RE020
    25.2 – 824 – Pirelli P6000
    25.2 – 826 – Yokohama AVS dB
    25.2 – 827 – Bridgestone Potenza RE730
    25.2 – 830 – Pirelli P7000 SUPERSPORT

Interesting the differences, now, according to the math, ALL 255/40 R17 tires SHOULD have the following Diameter and Revs/Mile:

25.0 – 806 – What the math shows

Hmmm, something else is going on with our tires, most likely the “Compression” thing that Mschukar spoke of a few posts ago. It would seem that all tires are not made equal, even in size and the speed they yield.

This brings me to another issue; I have heard repeatedly that “BMWs have a large speedometer error”. Interesting, I checked my 328i one time against the mile markers along the side of the highway one time, and I found virtually no error in either the Odometer or the Speedometer. Maybe the 3-Series does not have the same level of error, as does the 5-Series. Current anecdotal evidence would seem to support that, given that my 328i seems to agree with the road signs, and Mr. Riezs’ wifes’ 323i seems to agree with my calculations for a non-SP 325i (which has the same gearing as did the 323i), however, it would seem that Mr. Riezs’ 540i 6-Speed (with the Yokohama AVS dB tires) indicates 100 mph about 211 RPMs early.

There, that should be enough fat to chew on for a while. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bluewater5bluewater5 Member Posts: 55
    Here is an article on speedometer error:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2002/april/200204_feature_speedometer.xml

BMWs are off by the most, reporting 73.18 when doing "true" 70 mph. European laws are more strict than US, requiring speedometers never to underreport speed, even with oversized tires. Their theory is that since people are more likely to put oversized tires on BMWs and Porsches, they have to have the most overhead.

Beyond that, the article lists various reasons for speedometer error. Riez's tests compare speedometer and tachometer readings. The speedometer is definitely not a direct measurement. I am not sure what errors might impact the tachometer. There could just be numerous small errors that impact 2 indirect measurements that result in the disparity with Shipo's theorectical results.

-Bob D.

• gak48gak48 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if a Z3 Hardtop has a workable rear window defogger? My wife got a hardtop installed at the dealership last fall and there supposedly is a switch on the console to turn the defogger on and off. However, when we removed the hardtop in the spring, I never found any wiring harness. Can't figure out how a defogger would operate without one. My wife said the rear window never seemed to clear up very well during the winter. Maybe the console control is just for decoration.

Anybody have any info on this?
  • polo2928bpolo2928b Member Posts: 21
    I have a 528 2000 which I love but is lease so i have to turn it in in summer 2003, I would like to buy the new 5 series model but it will probably not be comming out in the States until beginning of 2004, does anyone know if I can order this model directly from Europe and where I could?
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no way you can order a U.S. Spec E60 5-Series until it starts its U.S. production (which will probably be late 2003 or early 2004). That said, once again, to the best of my knowledge, BMW only has one method for ordering U.S. Spec cars from Europe, and that is via the military.

My suggestion to you would be to extend the lease on your 528i for six months to a year, and then order your new E60 5er through normal channels.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    As shipo said, "via military" or the diplomat sales program.
    If you get the Speed channel (150 on Dish Network), check out Autoweek (today at 5:30pm EDT is one of multiple airings). It is supposed to have a preview of 2004 5-series.

Polo2929b: I find it hard to believe that BMW would plan on not having any 5 series available in the US for many months. If E60 production starts July 2003, there _might_ be a few US spec models available by Sept. If you want one of the first, try your dealer in late spring to see when they might start taking orders. Even German-spec cars may not be available in your time frame, though.

-Bob D.
    Cool, given I too have a Dish system, I will tape the segment as I won't be here at the time.

Thanks for the "Heads Up".

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    shipo... Interesting and informative post at #3502. I need to take some aspirin and Tums to digest it all! :)
    shipo... Had wife's 323iA on cruise control at 100 mph, 84 deg F w/add. 100 pounds. 3,475 RPMs. Does that agree with your calculations?
    Sorry about #3502, sometimes, when I start thinking out loud (or on the keyboard, as may be the case), I get a little too verbose. ;-)

According to my calculations, a 323iA with 205/65 VR16 tires should turn 3546 RPMs, and yesterday, you posted 3550, so, that is pretty close. Today's figure of 3475 is a little low, however, not outside the bounds of a standard margin of error.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I watched it but did not see any mention of the new 5. Maybe it got moved to another show. I got the info from:

http://www.peachtreebmwcca.org/bmw_tv.asp

which includes a list of BMW sightings on TV.
    Well, in that case, I will just have to re-use the tape for something like "Joe Dirt" tonight at 9:15. NOT!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Dale if all that thought is in the production of your mouse your gonna be one wealthy guy and im gonna bum some asprin from Riez.... :)

DL
  • mcq7159mcq7159 Member Posts: 20
    I'm absolutely loving my new baby: 530 manual, premium, cold, xenons, Blue Water and Gray. Have more than 500 miles toward the magic 1,200 break-in; can't wait to really put her through her paces soon.

Quick computer question: when you reset OBC for such data as MPG, MPH, etc., is the displayed information an average since the last reset? Or is it based on a shorter time or distance period? Seems like I remember that Saabs base their data on something like the most recent twenty minutes of driving. Has anyone else heard that?

Thanks in advance!
  • topazbluetopazblue Member Posts: 4
    The good news is that my dealer called this past Friday to advise me that my 530 (sp, xenons, premium sound) was ready for pick-up. The bad news is that it came with an automatic, not the manual tranny I ordered 2 months ago. The screw-up was the dealer's doing and they accept responsiblity (apparently the salesman didn't realize that when you order a 530A, it comes with automatic even if that option is not specifically selected).

Now I am faced with the following decision. I can accept the automatic today with no additional charge for the automatic transmission. This is very convenient because the lease on my current car (Saab 9-3) is up in two weeks. I drove the car on Saturday--the car was sweet and the automatic acceptable...I think. Alternatively, I can reorder the manual and take delivery in July. The dealer will deduct $500 from my original price, but this is equal or less than the cost to extend my current lease or rent a car until July.

It's a real close call for me between the manual and automatic--I like driving manuals and the extra power they provide. On the other hand, where I live (S. Florida) is not conducive to real serious motoring. I would love to hear from others that similarly wrestled with the automatic/manual decision and opted for the automatic. Any second thoughts or regrets?
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Hmm...that's a tough call. If I were you, I'd be fuming over the dealer's screw-up and their paltry $500 token offer.

I'd demand that the dealer:
    1) Start calling other area dealers and find your combination either available now or very soon;
    2) Finance the extended lease on your Saab; or
    3) Provide you with a loaner car until the new one shows up.

If necessary, speak with the owner/manager and/or BMWNA.

If you're honestly indifferent about manual-versus-auto, then you might want to consider their offer (I've driven in Florida and know what you're talking about). But if you've had your mind and heart set on a slick-shifting manual, you'll probably end up kicking yourself if you give in now. Personally, I wouldn't see the point in buying/owning an automatic BMW. (No offense to auto owners out there, but it just seems contrary to the essence of the car and the brand, and the driving experience--while still sporty--is certainly less thrilling and compelling.)
    Ohhh, ouch! Given that I too am in the "Any day now" phase of taking (U.S.) delivery of my new 530i, I can understand how it might be difficult to make the decision to wait. That said, I have driven a fair few number of cars with a very nice automatic transmission (I used to work for MBUSA), and even then, given the (then) choice of taking home a nice new E320 or my Passat GLX 5-Speed, I would choose the Passat.

Obviously, were I in your shoes, I would either wait, or do as Snagiel suggested, and press your dealer to find a trade that meets with your requirements. Who knows, maybe you will have to change your user ID to "Sapphire Black". ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    If you ordered a manual, that's what you really want, than don't settle. I have a feeling you'll enjoy a 530iA as well, but not as much as if you were to buy a manual. I'd see if the dealer can do a "swap" for you or order a new one. Ask them to give you a service loaner until your car comes in.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

topazblue... Only your heart and brains know what you want and can live with. Like others here, I couldn't imagine owning an automatic. I get to drive my wife's 323iA. Nice car. Great for an automatic. But just loses too much. The control and fun factor. But I really like driving and want to be in control. That is why I have a 540i6.

If I was you, I'd be mad, but not show it much, and see what more you can get from dealer. Their screw up. They should make you whole and do right by you! Maybe you could get them to throw in for "free" the additional maintenance schedule program??? Worth a try. And a hard one at that. They owe you.
    The good news is that my dealer called this past Friday to advise me that my 530 (sp, xenons, premium sound) was ready for pick-up. The bad news is that it came with an automatic, not the manual tranny I ordered 2 months ago. The screw-up was the dealer's doing and they accept responsiblity (apparently the salesman didn't realize that when you order a 530A, it comes with automatic even if that option is not specifically selected).

Now I am faced with the following decision. I can accept the automatic today with no additional charge for the automatic transmission. This is very convenient because the lease on my current car (Saab 9-3) is up in two weeks. I drove the car on Saturday--the car was sweet and the automatic acceptable...I think. Alternatively, I can reorder the manual and take delivery in July. The dealer will deduct $500 from my original price, but this is equal or less than the cost to extend my current lease or rent a car until July.

It's a real close call for me between the manual and automatic--I like driving manuals and the extra power they provide. On the other hand, where I live (S. Florida) is not conducive to real serious motoring. I would love to hear from others that similarly wrestled with the automatic/manual decision and opted for the automatic. Any second thoughts or regrets?
  • colt007colt007 Member Posts: 64
    You wanted the manual, you ordered the manual, you should get the manual. That said, I'm up to 2200 miles in a 530ia loaded sans the electric shade, park distance & nav. The Steptronic is good, I think it works better when your "shifting" yourself. I find the best times to use it are when you're on the roads with the best curves & you want to run through them without much hard braking. Make the dealer make you whole. In my case, the auto is great & I have no remorse over owning it.

Colt.
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    I can add little to the preceeding responses. You've already gone through a decisionmaking process regarding the type of transmission you want, one of the more fundamental choices in equipping your car. Your reasons for wanting the manual are no less valid now. Snagiel is right in stating that the dealer has creative options available to make you whole -- he just needs the will to pursue them. This is too big a purchase to get less than what you want. Stick to your guns. After all, you've already made an excellent color choice!
  • derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    I'd tell 'em that you'll take the 530iA for $1 below their invoice price and that otherwise, they can keep the car and you'll take your current and future business elsewhere. Don't settle for less than you originally wanted.
    They can take their Topaz Blue BMW 530iA, shine it up real nice and pretty, turn that some b*&%# side ways, and stick it straight up their rooty poo candy [non-permissible content removed]!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    even better!
  • a10drivera10driver Member Posts: 8
    I just got a production number and I went to BMWUSA.com to check my order. It is correct except it does not mention the steptronic transmission I ordered. I called the dealer to confirm and he assured me it was a 525iA and came with the automatic transmission. Did everyone else who ordered a step not see it on the bmwusa website. Thoughts?

Shipo, are you a military type? I am also staying in Garmisch for my ED pickup. Awesome town.
    If you want the manual, push the dealer to try to "trade up" with other dealers to get you a slot ASAP.
    This story made me double check my order, which does say 530i, not 530iA. It went from Schedule for production on May 3 to Awaiting Transport since the last time I checked.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    If memory serves, the Owner's Circle indeed doesn't list all the options you select. If you want to confirm, call either your dealer or BMWNA at 800-831-1117, option #3.
    Thanks for all the input on my "dilemma"--I am still sorting out my decision on the auto v. manual. In the meantime,I went back to the dealer last night, let him know that I wasn't happy with their offer (free step or $500 off the reordered manual) and asked them to come back to me with something more fair. I will keep the board posted. For now, I remain, TopazBlue.
    Ummm, well, not any more, that is, unless you subscribe to the "Once a Marine, always a Marine" saying. I entered the Corps in the mid 1970s, and decided that I wanted to fly, so I managed to work my way into the PLC program as an Aviation Candidate, did the first half of OCS in the summer of 1977 (piece of cake after MCRD San Diego), and then headed back to college. I then managed to get myself "dis-enrolled" in 1978 because I took a new job that required me to miss a semester of college (I had to move from SD to LA). :-(

Even now, 25 years later, I still want to fly, so, I am currently taking sporadic flying lessons (time and family issues). Unfortunately, given some new business opportunities, I may have to lay off the lessons again, this time for another year or so. In the meantime, I am looking for a nice "Cherry" Cessna 170 "Taildragger" (A or B model) from the early 1950s. Which, when I find it, will give me LOTS of incentive to finish the lessons, get checked out in a conventional gear aircraft, and find ways of spending $100 on a hamburger. ;-)

As for Garmisch, I must say, I was really surprised, I had never even heard of the town before I left Munich on the first day of our ED trip. When we entered the town, there was no question in our minds, we said to each other "We are staying here tonight!" And we did.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    After fighting with my router and Apache (both of which I was sure were set up correctly), I discovered that my ISP is now blocking all HTTP access to my house! Needless to say, my initial plan of putting up the photos and dialog of our ED adventure on to my linux box is not going to happen anytime soon.

Time for Plan B. I just posted a few pictures of our trip on Yahoo! Photos so that y’all can see some of the cool stuff we did. I will post more pictures as time permits over the next week or so.

You can see said pictures by clicking on the following link:

http://photos.yahoo.com/shipo

Notes:

The only album that I currently have is called “ED 530i”, click on it to gain access to the photos.

All of the color photos (all but one), can be viewed in full 1280x960 resolution if you wish by clicking on the “Full Size” link above the “Screen Size” shot.

Let me know what y’all think.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Your Saphire Black 530i is gorgeous! I'll bet you can't wait to get that baby stateside!

That 325ti is really nice too especially with those big (17") wheels! I wish they'd bring it here!

If that's you by the memorial, nice legs;) LOL!

I have been driving the Caravan for a week now, and I can tell you that I am REALLY ready for my car to get here.

Like you, I'd bet that BMW would not be able to keep the 325ti on the lots here in the States, alas, I have not even heard a rumor of it coming here. :-(

Ummm, thanks, like we said in the Corps, "If you got it, flaunt it. If you don't got it, flaunt it anyway!" ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    they'd have a hard time with a Mini Cooper S (even though it is FWD), 1 series (Sedan & hatchback), & 325ti in the same showroom!

• jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    I think it's absolutely amazing -- tho I shouldn't be surprised -- that a BMW salesman wouldn't know that BMWiA meant automatic. Doh.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • indylowflyerindylowflyer Member Posts: 148
    Shipo- Beautiful Black Baby. I love the wheels, wish my 5er had that style. Great pictures, thanks for sharing!
    Ain't technology grand? Pics are nice tho I'm sure they don't do the scenery justice. Car looks great (of course)! If you don't already, get yourself a good brush for the sport wheels. I can't seem to clean one in under 10 minutes.

Colt.
    I had similar wheels (Style 42 Cross Spoke) on my 328i PP, and I have the "Cross Spoke Composite Wheel II, Style 42" on the 530i SP. Kind of ironic. Anyway, they were a bit of a &~$@#&&^%@#! to clean, and I'm sure the new ones will be no less of a challenge.

To that end, I have found a few ways to cheat. First, make sure that the wheels are well polished (I use Klasse All-In-One on them), that makes the wheels generally easier to clean. If I happen to go too long between cleanings (read, winter time), I have found that the hand cleaner stuff called GOOP makes wheel cleaning fairly easy. Simply spread the stuff all over the wheel, let it sit for a few minutes, and then wash it off with regular car washing detergent and a wheel brush. I make sure that after each time I use the GOOP, I have time to re-polish the wheels, so that whatever polish the GOOP took off, is then replaced.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Glad you suggested the Klasse...I just did that this weekend (under water restriction = wash in the garage with door closed). I'll have to remember the Goop.

Colt.
    I love those wheels on your 530i SP! They (along with the sport susoension) make the car look so aggressive.

• indylowflyerindylowflyer Member Posts: 148
    Shipo- Did you order that style of wheels? Are those standard wheels for a sport suspension equiped 5-series? Again, they are different from mine, and I prefer you're style over what came on my 5er.

Thanks-Indy
    I cannot remember what car you have, is it a 530i SP as well? I am also curious as to which wheels you have on your car.

According to the BMWUSA web site, if you order a 530i with the SP option it comes with "17 x 8.0 Cross Spoke II wheels, 235/45R-17 performance tires". I know that the 540i SP and the 525i SP both have different wheels than my car, in addition, each of the different 5ers have different wheels in their non SP incarnations as well.

As near as I can tell, the following list shows the default wheel for each of the listed cars:

525i -- Cross Spoke, style 29 (16 x 7.0)
    530i -- Parallel Spoke, style 82 (16 x 7.0)
    540i -- Radial Spoke, style 48 (16 x 7.0)
    525i SP -- Star Spoke, Style 81 (17 x 8.0)
    530i SP -- Cross spoke composite wheel II, style 42 (17 x 8.0)
    540i SP -- Radial Spoke, style 32 (17 x 8.0 Front & 17 x 9.0 Rear)
    540i SP -- M Parallel Spoke, style 66 (17 x 8.0 Front & 17 x 9.0 Rear) Optional
    540i 6S -- Radial Spoke, style 32 (17 x 8.0 Front & 17 x 9.0 Rear)
    540i 6S -- M Parallel Spoke, style 66 (17 x 8.0 Front & 17 x 9.0 Rear) Optional

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Thanks for sharing your great pictures! Your 5er looks incredible! (I also have the same wheels on my 530i with sport/premium pkg.) Did you wife get to drive it in Europe? If so, what is her opinion of your new joy?
    Thanks!

Yes, my wife (who actually prefers stick shifts herself) drove it too. She really liked driving at speed, until we got into some heavy traffic, where we were passing some cars with over a 20 mph cushion, while at the same time, being passed by other cars with yet another 20 mph cushion. Until that point, she said that the 530i was easier to drive at 100 mph than most cars she had ever driven at 55, however, once she started noticing the traffic, she tensed up and started gripping the wheel so hard, that her arms got tired. In the end, she drove maybe 100 miles in eastern France where the speed limit (130 kph/80 mph) kept the top end cars at around 120 mph (we were still under the 1,200 limit, so, 100 was our self imposed top end).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Thanks for sharing the new 5er pictures, I also have the same wheels on my
    01 530I. The sports package with those wheels and 17 inch low profile tires
    gives the bimmer a classy,aggressive stance that is difficult not to like. At
    speed it drives and handles like no other car, thus the raves on this board.
    I use a brush and lots of elbow grease to keep my wheels clean, and when clean
    they sparkle and makes the effort well worth it, I get a lot of comments about
    the wheels. Thanks again for sharing.
    I am awake due to a repeating series of nuisance FAX calls to my home phone. Grrrrr!

Anyway, I took the time to see if I could find the shipping status of my car, and actually found it.

By checking the http://www.wlna.com/ web site, I was able to determine that my car has been “On the water” since 2-May, and is due here in New York harbor next Wednesday 15-May. Cool. ;-)

I then checked the “Owners Circle” to see if it had been updated yet. Gee, what a surprise, it still shows “Awaiting Transport”. That said, I then clicked on the “Review Order Detail”, which is either a new link, or one that I have never seen before, and it shows that the “Xenon Headlights” that I ordered are actually “Bi-xenon Headlights”. Could this be correct? I thought that the Bi-xenons went into production sometime in the second half of April, however, my car was produced in mid-March. Very curious.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    Good job on the pics. Was it that warm while you were there or you just pretended that it was? Anyway, I have the same wheel that you have and it is a bear to clean them. I normally use a rag to clean them, the brush does not work too well for me.