Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• tigertowntigertown Member Posts: 3
    Snagie & div2 . . thanks for the input!!

What is an ECM?

Interesting. . none of you mentioned Lexol and/or Zymol? Why?
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    ECM is the engine control module, aka ECU (engine control unit). The Shark Injector--available for the 328/528 but not 330/530--is a $350 (usually) simple ECM "bolt-on" that marginally increases engine output (<10 hp), raises the rev limiter (which I think is unsafe), and removes the top-speed governor.

I do use Lexol products for the interior: the leather cleaner and conditioner, as well as their vinylex vinyl cleaner/polisher. And, while Zymol makes some excellent products, they're extremely overpriced. Check out http://www.carcareonline.com. They're a very knowledgable group, and sell all this stuff. They know the products well, and from my experience--and others' opinions I've read--their recommendations are right on. They have good how-to articles, and their product descriptions are candid about which products they like the best. You can get as good--or better--than Zymol results, while spending a fraction.

• dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    3 Questions:

On a new 530 using US Pricing - what discounts below MSRP are people seeing? Is $1500 below MSRP crazy to expect? It may be, as I paid MSRP for my Honda Minivan a year ago!

Purchasing a new BMW - anyone know what it would cost to extend the warranty to 100K miles, or after lets say the first yr, can an extended warranty be purchased?

Because these cars hold their value so well (as people are actually paying 40-44K for a 2001/2002 530), it only makes sense to buy new - finance over 5 or maybe even 6 yrs to keep the payment down (can you finance over 6 yrs)and sell them in 2 yrs. I already did the amoritization figuring, and after 24 months of payments - with $600 (minimum)of each payment going to interst = 15,000 in principal paid. So the car you paid 45K for, and now owe 30K for, could be sold for a conservative 38K and may be even 42K in two years!

Anyone see any mistake in that angle? Think I am buying new, and planning to hold for 2 years, maybe 3 - and then getting a new one. I am not interested in leasing!!
  • gorrilla800lbsgorrilla800lbs Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the opinions guys. I feel a 95 540/530 is a better drive and I would love the car (always been a 5 series fan) but maybe a fully loaded 98 Accord/Maxima SE or 97 ES 300 would fit my criteria better (~$10K, reasonable maintenance cost, get another 100k+ miles, good perf and lux goodies). Darn it, I hate it when she's right. I've seen some old 5's that look and run great but they have been regularly maintained and that isn't cheap. I guess that's the key.
    Prices vary, but $1000-$2000 over dealer invoice (which is more than $1500 under MSRP) is considered a good deal in most parts of the country. Some dealers are notoriously greedy and will demand MSRP with a straight face. But look at other dealers (you may have to travel some to get a really good deal), and you shouldn't have much trouble reaching the aforementioned markups.

As for the used car pricing, many dealers' used inventories are misleading. It's not reasonable to buy a $45k car and expect to sell it in 2 years for $42k. (Only high-end, rare cars enjoy that sort of resale value.) When you see an '01 or used '02 530i on the lot for, say, $42k, realize that 1) the original owner was given far less for the trade-in, and 2) the dealer is inflating their asking price. My guess is, a dealer will probably buy a 10k mile '02 530i (originally sold for $45k) for about $38k, and a 20k mile '01 530i for maybe $34-35. You could, of course, probably do better selling privately.

You can extend the BMW service plan (the 3/36 plan which covers pretty much everything but tires) to 4/48 or 4/50 (can't remember which) for either $400 or $800 (sorry, I can't recall which it is). And there are dozens of places that sell extended warranties, but it's a waste of money to buy one until you need it; i.e. you should wait until the factory warranty nearly expires (same goes for the extended BMW service plan).
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    will you take your 5 series into the body shop to remove paint chips, nicks, scuffs, etc? I can live with the few chips on the hood that my 2001 has sustained (only noticeable to me when I wash the car),but today's freak incident takes the cake. My 5 was hit in the driver's side door by a broken beer bottle! I could see it coming from my peripheral vision on the left, but I couldn't tell if it was thrown by someone or if it shot out from the tire of oncoming traffic hitting it. Anyway, it left a few scuffs and a few deep cuts into the side guard paint along with some fine scratches in the door paint. I'm floored that there were no dents. I will get an estimate on the damage, but was wondering if I should just wait until more such events happen or just fix them as they come along. What have other owners done in the past? I'd like to keep my 5 a good long time and want it to look new all the time. All opinions are most appreciated.
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    IMHO, you should have the damaged door repaired. Chipped paint resulting from stones and other "natural" debris is a way of life, but the damage you sustained should be repaired. Go to a reputable BMW body shop and get their opinion. Make your final decision on their input and your personal feelings.

Good luck....JL
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    First, I agree with snagiel and think you need to recheck your resale value assumptions. I think they are exceptionally optimistic. The 5 series does hold its value reasonably well, but not nearly as good as your estimates suggest, unless you are extremely lucky in a private sale. Even the BMW 3-series has better resale than the 5-series, from what I can tell in the DC area. For example, I recently called on a 2001 530i 5-speed, SP,PP,CWP & Xenons with 18k miles advertised in the Washington Post for $34,900. By the time I called, the car was sold at $33,500 cash. The owner was a relocating diplomat, but that is a common source for good luxury used cars in our area. And, when you think about it, that's roughly 20-25% less than a brand new 2003. That's the minimal about of discount I would look for to justify going used, with a 2 year old car.

I did buy a Honda S2000 last fall with the intent of keeping it 2+/- years. However, even with it's exceptional resale value as a limited production car, I expect a 15-20% hit after two years.

On your payment mathematics, I'm not sure how $600 per month adds up to $15k in principal after 2 years unless you have a 0% interest rate loan. I've always paid cash for my cars so as to avoid the mental anguish of writing checks month after month. It's not the wisest thing to do, but given how my stock portfolio has done over the last year, my S2000 was my best performing asset.

Bottom line - I do not think it is financially prudent to buy a 5-series with the idea of selling it in 2-3 years. I believe a 330i, M3 or even, heaven forbid, Mercedes E320, will net you a better resale in 2-3 years. If I go with a 5-series as my next sedan, it will be with a "buy and hold" strategy. And there is almost nothing out there that I would rather "hold" than a 530i.
    You both good points!

My thought process was this: Rather than put 5-10K down on the car, why not put that money in the market (as we are coming back right?) -so I then figured a 45k loan over 5 years at 5-6% - about 600.00 of every payment goes to principal. Give or take, after 2 years the pricnipal paid off will be 15K. So even keeping the car, it is nice to know your car is worth more than you owe owe on it, albeit for a short time.

Regarding resale value - I agree - you are both correct!

Thanks for the input.

Habitat - find me a Diplomat and I'll fly to DC to pick up a car at that price!! I'll buy you a beer on the way as well.
    I agree with srfast: If you encounter any deep cuts to the paint, holding off may hasten chipping and/or rusting.

For small parking-lot dings to the doors, however, waiting usually is more cost-beneficial, even if it is painful to hold off and look at those unsighly blemishes. Most ding-repair shops (like Dent Wizards) either charge a fee for up to several dings, or offer discounts for dings subsequent to the first one.

srfast: I disagree--to an extent--that chipping stones are a way of life. True, you can't prevent all damage, but you can go a long way by protecting your car with either a traditional fabric bra or an "invisible" one like Xpel or Stongard (which can protect the headlights, foglamps, hood, bumper, lower and side fender, and other forward-facing parts). I've been extremely pleased with my XPel system since I've installed it.
    didn't say it was beyond your control to minimize (eliminate ?) the damage. I am expecting delivery of a 530i in December and I am going with Xpel on the lamps and seriously considering their paint protection.

JL
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Have the damage repaired for piece of mind and to retard the rusting process. Glad to
    hear you weren't hurt. Sometime ago I was driving on 101 in San Mateo County with the
    drivers window open on a warm day when an object hurled through the open window
    grazing the very top of my hair, not my head ! It was a 3 inch diameter ROCK either thrown or
    sent through the air from the tire of another car. If it had been just 4 inches lower it would have killed me. Needless to say, I never drive with that window open ever. Windows are always closed. The car was not my bimmer and there wasn't any damage except some plastic that was broken.
    I was just using your post as an opportunity to bring up the paint protection system, which some may not know about. The lamp kits are a no-brainer: they're cheap and fairly easy to install. I'm surprised so many people don't even know about them, or don't bother. It's certainly cheap insurance.
    I am glad we got this Xpel dialog going. What color is your car ? Mine will be Sterling Gray and I'm concerned about how noticeable (detracting ?) the Xpel protector will be on the hood.

Thanks for your input....JL
  • sundvlsundvl Member Posts: 3
    The local BMW dealer has a '95 525 w/lux pkg on the lot, showing less than 54K miles. The paint is in pretty bad shape, lots of parking lot damage, and misc. scratches. Interior & trunk is excellent, except cushion of driver's seat has dried and cracked leather. Unfortunately the previous owner was a smoker, also. Underhood is extremely clean, not just sprayed with detail oil. My concern is that with the pkg lot damage and low miles, it appears it was used daily for short commutes. This is really tough on an engine, of course. In addition, the front end seems to need new struts - harsh over bumps, and uncontrolled bouncing after dips.
    Questions: Is my concern over the commuter-car use well founded? New paint is no big deal, but what about getting smoke smell out of leather? Are original struts normally gone by 50K miles or 7 years? Would you pay 11K for this car?
    When Pricing through Eurobuyers.com - should I look at Base Price US - MSRP or "Confidential Wholoesale Price - Munich Pickup" Obviously, Confidential Wholesale etc....cost less, but a dealer treid to quote me off the US - MSRP?

Just checking
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    Work off the "Confidential Wholesale Price - Munich Pickup" pricelist. The target selling price that many have gotten is $1,500 (more or less)above the cost of the car and options from that list. Not all dealers will work such a deal or even acknowledge that it's possible, but it is. Just keep looking, and be willing to go out of town/state if necessary. If you post your location, other members may be able to give you good leads in your region.
    Mine is a Toledo Blue. The film is most apparent on darker colors, but here's my take on the appearance:

1) Like most things, you--the obsessive and enthusiast owner--will be most likely to notice it, since you know it's there.

2) Considering the alternatives--a big fabric bra with the "Toblerone" triangles or an unprotected front-end with lots of stone chips--a clear bra isn't that bad.

To keep the film as invisible as possible, be sure to curtail wax build-up. When you wax, it'll accumulate up alongside the edge of the hood and fender. If left to dry, it forms a distinct white/yellow line along the edge which is annoying. So, after waxing, use a Q-tip to run alongside the edge and clean up excess wax, or later do the same with a good wax removal agent.
    Frankly, that sounds like a money pit, and you haven't even bought the car, which of course is when you start to really see a car's problems! :)

I wouldn't discount the extent of the car's injuries. A new quality paint job runs $2000-3000, including some minor bodywork sanding and ding removal. And if the leather is cracked, dried out, and smells of cigarettes, it may be time for a re-upholstering the seats, which will probably cost $1000-1500. If you're still seriously interested in it, take it to a good BMW mechanic and have them check out the fluids, the suspension, brakes, belts and hoses, and anything else they might think of. That $11k--while tempting now--will be a distant memory once expensive repairs start to add up.
    Anyone out there have this color, and have any regrets?

Interior options are Black or Gray - think I like black!
    Thanks snagiel for your input. I wouldn't have any real heartburn if I had to spend $4 - 5K on it if I knew I had a solid car when I was done. Of course having a competent tech look at it would be a forgone conclusion; I was also looking for feedback regarding common big-buck problems with cars of that vintage (such as the engine block issue with the V-8's), and whether low miles is really a major consideration.

You're right tho, the price is the temptation, and I have to keep that from clouding my judgement.
  • cbgb1975cbgb1975 Member Posts: 51
    I agree with snagiel of pricing 1-2k over invoice. I paid 3% over invoice and took delivery in spartanburg as I live in North Carolina. I wanted to deal locally but was getting hardballed. The Performance Center Delivery option gave me some leverage as I could contact dealers up and down East Coast for pricing...In the end, I dealt with my local dealer as they came down to price I was willing to pay. I still went to Perf Center because I thought it would be fun...and it was. This may help you negotiate if you can go to SC for pickup,or at least make your dealer think that's a viable option for you.
  • rick530rick530 Member Posts: 3
    The 530i uses the rack and pinion steering, but the 540i uses the recirculation ball type. Why? What is the difference? Is this partly why the 540i is nearly $10K more?
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Thank you for your opinions on the damage to my door. I agree that it should be repaired to prevent any rust problems and to satisfy my need to have my 5 look as near perfect as possible. I got an estimate today of $588.42 from a shop recommended by my local BMW dealer. (One heck of an expensive bottle of beer!) They will need to repaint the entire door because of the scratches in the paint.
    dabimmer: Sounds like you experienced an equally freakish event with that rock. This sure has made me think twice about having the window down completely. I am also very thankful it didn't hit the window. Good to hear you only had singed hair. ;-)
    Rack & Pinion steering is more "direct" than recirculating ball, making the 530i more responsive to steering input. I believe the 540i uses RB steering because the V-8 and R&P components cannot both fit into the available space.

The 540i is more expensive than the 530i because of the V-8 and in the case of the 540i/6spd., the "standard" Sport Package.

Hope this helps...JL
  • msealsmseals Member Posts: 257
    I have been reading that you are looking at a mid 90's 5 series for around $11k? Just to let you know, I just recently bought a 1998 528i CPO 80k miles, 5sp, PP, lthr, wood trim, htd seats, htd steering wheel, power moonroof, jet black on black leather for $16500. I know the mileage is high, but the guy was commuting from Novi to Lansing for work. That is about a 60-65 mile drive one way. When he bought the car it has 25k miles on it, and it was 2 years old. So he put about 55k miles on it in two years and it was pretty much all freeway. He got it serviced locally at a dearlership right near my job. I work near where he lives fortunately. And I have put just over 1000 miles on the car and I couldn't be happier. It is the best car I have ever owned. It just took me some time to get use to buying a used car again, but the fact that it is CPO'd is helping me out since I have 2 years and 20k miles left on the warranty.
    A quick definition:

Rack-and-pinion employs a pinion gear at the lower end of the steering column that engages a rack or a toothed rod that connects to the steering arms. When the gear is rotated by the steering wheel/shaft, it moves the rack from side to side: turning the wheels.

With recirculating-ball, the steering shaft turns a worm gear that, in turn, causes a toothed metal block to move back and forth. Ball bearings in a recirculating track reduce friction between the worm gear and the block. As the block moves, its teeth rotate a gear connected to a steering arm, which then moves the steering linkage and turns the wheels.

srfast is right: R&P is inherently a simpler and more direct system, which is why many think it offers better road feel/feedback. RB systems are mainly found in trucks and in heavier cars. I read an explanation somewhere that RB is better suited for heavier cars/trucks because it's a more sturdy mechanism by design. I'm not sure about that, but most of the discussions I've read about it in the 5-series have indicated that the 540's and M5's larger engines prohibit the use of a R&P system.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The E34 5ers are darn near bulletproof-assuming you find one that was well maintained. The 525i you are considering doesn't appear to meet that criteria. A well-kept 525i or 535i(even better) can often go 200K+ miles before any major engine work is required. I'd wan't to see a full service history- Was the coolant changed every 2-3 years? How about the brake, transmission, and final drive fluids? Take your time; there are a lot of E34s out there. Find a good one.
  • mod62mod62 Member Posts: 38
    Washer fluid - In the main reservoir, the manual says to just use water or dilute the solution. i bought some Rain-X winter stuff. Can I just pour it in?
    Also, what is the concentrated reservoir for?
    Yes, you can use the Rain-X fluid straight.

The concentrate bottle is for "extra strength" fluids. The following excerpt is from the 2002 5 series owner's manual:

Fill with intensive-cleaning washer fluid.
    It resists freezing to approx. &#150;177
    (&#150;276) and is available from your BMW
    center.

Hope this helps...JL
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    Help,

Wife's car, '98 528ia sport, stock stereo, with 52,000 miles, out of warranty. Wife came back today saying the car is possessed. She started the car and the airbag light remained on, she noticed that as she tried to control the radio from the steering wheel controls, nothing happened, however, the indash radio controls worked fine. Stereo wouldn't raise/lower volume, wouldn't change radio station from the steering wheel. She turned the car off then moved the steering wheel up/down, telescope in/out, then started the car again, this time the airbag light went off, steering wheel radio controls worked. She repeated the process, turn car off, play with steering wheel, turn car back on, notice that sometimes the airbag light remains on, sometimes it's off. When airbag remains lit, the radio controls on the steering wheel do NOT work. When the airbag light turns off, the radio controls on steering wheel work fine. Does this sound like a short? Airbag sensor? Any help would be appreciated before I take it to the dealer.

TIA,

Hayawan
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    Sounds like the "clock spring". That's the wire connection in the steering wheel housing, under/behind the airbag, connecting the airbag to the computer and the other steering wheel controls to their respective components. It could be a loose or broken connection. I would have this checked out IMMEDIATELY as when the airbag light is on, the airbag won't deploy in an accident.
  • msealsmseals Member Posts: 257
    You definitely want to have this checked out. There is a topic in the www.roadfly.org web site under the e39 message board that shows how to replace the standard steering wheel with the sport stearing wheel. It shows in detail all the wiring that is behind the airbag. There really isn't much, I think 2 or 3 wires. It seems really simple to take the airbag off. I believe that is like 2 or 3 screws also. Just an FYI if you are a DIYer adn want to save some cash. It it doesn't work, then just take it in.
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    I am not much of DIYer. I get very nervous in general working on cars yet along BMW's. Not to mention SRS (Airbags) systems. I just wanted to get an idea of what may be the problem this way I can be somewhat educated before I take it in to the dealer. I played with the steering wheel last night for about half an hour and the airbag light would remain on only about the half number of attempts. When the airbag light stayed on, the radio controls on the steering wheel wouldn't function till you turn the car off then back on. Sometimes it took a few attempts to get the light to turn off. It sounds like it could be a short somewhere in the steering wheel or may be a part that could be starting to fail.
    More to come I guess,

Spyderred,
    srfast is right, but dealers do NOT carry the "concentrated windshield washer fluid" for the separate tank. After I tried unsuccessfully to find some at a couple of dealers, I finally heard an explanation: Apparently the fluid BMW intends to put in there doesn't meet some EPA standard, since it's very potent stuff and can be dangerous, so it's illegal in the US. Hence, just use nondiluted windshield washer fluid there.
    Congratulations to you and your wife.

Mechanically, I believe very little--if anything--changed between those two model years. The 5-series did receive a minor facelift for the 2001 MY, however, with the "angel eye" headlights and clear tails that, in my opinion, are certainly sharper than the now-antiquated look of the pre-2001's.

But either way you'll enjoy the car. I recently drove a 540iT, and it was awesome for a wagon. (It really made me wonder why anyone would consider the X5, or any other SUV for that matter.)
  • johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    According to Alldata, there are a couple of TSBs (service bulletins) for airbags on the '98 528. One is #720200 and its description is "Airbag Control Module - Warning Light ON/Codes Set". The other is #610200 and its description is "Airbag Systems - Wiring Repair Procedure". There's no way to know ahead of time whether these apply to your car, but at least there is something that MIGHT be related. Since your car isn't far out of warranty and this is a safety item, maybe the dealer will fix it without cost to you. Good luck.
    Thanks for your feedback. I am drawn to the E34s mainly because a well-maintained example is more unusual on the street than the later models. Of course there are added safety, power, and convenience considerations from '97-up, but since I restore vintage Mustangs, the "classics" obviously always get my attention by default. You are probably right, div2, I need to keep looking for a somewhat better-maintained car, but I'll probably have this one checked out anyway.
  • oski55oski55 Member Posts: 1
    I'm seriously looking into buying either a '95 or '97 540- there's so much I like about the car and it's making me crazy with my wife being the only Bimmer owner in the family (she refuses to acknowledge my 1/2 interest in the Z3). I've seen lots of 540's that look to be right in the price range I'm looking for, but I have a couple of basic questions: Are there inherent problems/issues which might differentiate the model year to buy? (engine block problems, recurring exhaust or electrical things, etc...that would steer me either toward or away from one year or the other?) Second question- those that have owned a 540 for a while- how do you find the interior space (driver's as well as rear seating)? Is it OK or just something you've learned to live with or adapt to over time? I'm 6'2" so obviously it's an issue with me. I realize these are pretty broad and vague questions but I'd really appreciate any input.
    Thanks.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    This is purely "anecdotal" but in my perusal of the used car ads in the Washington Post, I've noticed several 1994/5 BMW 540i's advertised with "engine replased at XX k miles". As though that's supposed to make me feel good??

I had considered a new BMW 5-series last fall and several dealers I talked to said that the "new" 540i (i.e. 1997 on) was a more reliable V8 than in the previous generation.

You may want to look into the reliability and maintenance costs of the previous 4.0 liter V8 vs. the current 4.4 liter. I didn't pursue it because I postponed the purchase and likely would have gone with the 530i anyway. BMW's 2.8/3.0 liter I6's were almost universally praised (even by a competitive MB dealer) as highly reliable and sturdy.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    habitat1... Aren't the mid-1990 V-8 engine replacements normally tied to the Nikelsil (sp?) debacle? Didn't BMW use a new alloy in these blocks which then didn't last? Was it something tied to high sulphur in American fuel?
  • tigertowntigertown Member Posts: 3
    I might be posting a question that has been answered?

Q: How do you adjust the Low Beam?? vertical?
  • musher2musher2 Member Posts: 23
    Hi all -- haven't posted for awhile. Been busy putting ~7000 miles on the 530i (5sp/SP/PP/DSP/X-HID/CWP/shades) that arrived in July. Thought I'd pass on a few impressions now that the car and I have gotten better acquainted.

As this car replaced a two-year-old 323i without SP, the sport package and larger engine were the most compelling reasons for the upgrade. The SP is fantastic...the best feature of the car, without a doubt. I can't imagine owning a Bimmer without it. My wife has finally stopped asking why I select hilly, twisting back roads when there are perfectly serviceable freeway alternatives. She's gotten pretty good at reaching up and grabbing the little handle above the door, too, as soon as she sees that 'look' in my eyes, as I bear down in anticipation of an upcoming set of curves. She's even stopped asking why I won't buy a car with an automatic transmission!

I'm happy to report that there have been no problems with the car so far. No defects or breakdowns, and everything works as it should. At ~6K miles, the OBC told me I was low on oil. I ended up adding 1/2 quart of Castrol all-synthetic. This didn't happen during the 27K miles I put on the 323i, but no matter. If adding a little oil is the extent of my unplanned service, I can live with it.

Mileage, both mean and peak, has been a pleasant surprise. I'm averaging 21 mpg and can get ~28 on freeway trips, even when cruising at 90 mph. This is about what I got with the 3er and it's 2.5l engine (also a 5sp), and I'm certainly not holding back when it comes to acceleration.

My only complaint (and the 323i suffered from this, too) is an irritating resonance when the rear windows are down at any speed higher than 20 mph. In fact, the front passenger window exhibits this tendency on the 530i, although it's not as bad as the rears. Friends with Audi's and Lexus' have told me they've got the same problem. I haven't asked the dealer about it, but assuming it's a known issue, I'm surprised that BMW hasn't been able/willing to fix it.

In conclusion, this is a car that I expect to own for a long time. With a 9-year-old son, perhaps I'll consider turning it over to him in eight or nine years and checking out the '11 or '12 models. In the meantime, though, I've got a smile on my face every time I grab my keys. I just installed winter wheels (Blizzak LM-22s on alloy rims), so I'm ready for the first big dump of the season and a work-out for the DSC system!
    because it reinforces my decision. I am replacing a 1993 325i/E36 with a soon to be delivered 2003 530i (5spd/SP/PP/CWP/Xenons/PDC/RAB). The 325i was picked up new in 12/92 and has performed flawlessly. I am hoping for a similar experience with my 530i. I am selling (giving ?) the E36 to my nephew for $6,500, so I will see it often. If you're interested, here are the specs:

http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=10209

I wish you continued good luck with your 530i and hoping I am as lucky.

JL

• bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    tigertown - on the 3 series the headlights can be adjusted vertically with adjustment knobs (little wheels) under the hood and above the headlights. A few rounds of a screwdriver in the middle of the wheel does the trick. When I bought my car the headlights were pointed wayyyy too low so I had to raise them. Perhaps the 5 has the same adjustments.
  • idletaskidletask Member Posts: 171
    go for the xenon headlights. They have an automatic height adjustment system.
    Good review. Regarding the wind buffeting, it's an effect that's found in practically all cars. It's not an "issue," but a natural phenomenon that results from the spiralling and inefficient windflow through the car.
  • musher2musher2 Member Posts: 23
    An effect that's found in practically all cars? If that's so, I've defied the odds over the past 30 years with all the cars I've owned (an eclectic collection of ~16 American, Japanese and European vehicles), as I never encountered the phenomenon until the two BMWs I've had most recently. An interesting theory, though, and one that should be easy enough to examine simply by polling various friends who own a broad sampling of car makes and styles. I'll report back later. Regards...
    Perhaps the body, window, and interior shapes and sizes of some cars mask the effect better on some cars, but it's definitely not unique to BMW's, nor is it a symptom of some problem that can be corrected. I find it's most noticeable when opening just one of the rear windows; I've noticed this phenomenon in all the cars I've owned (my 530i, a '98 Passat, an '88 Accord, and an '87 Taurus), as well multiple other cars I've ridden in or driven.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I've had it in a number of cars, definitely not unique to BMW.