Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    for your comments. I completely agree that cars were easier to maintain and/or live with into the six-digit range prior to 1990 or thereabouts.

I've followed your experience with your 540 with considerable interest and hope that you continue to enjoy it. Where it sings is in its home -- try to get to Germany and drive the autobahns. They're crowded now, and getting worse, but there are still stretches that allow those of us who love to drive to truly enjoy.

I did it in an Audi. You'd probably prefer the BMW. I might have as well, but it wasn't available.

Happy New Year to you and the others on the board.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    cdnpinhead... I've put about 19,000 miles on my '98 540i6 this calendar year. She has run like a trooper. Only a couple minor things (like burnt out headlights). She has about 71,500 miles. Blast to drive. Sufficiently roomy. Great fuel economy. No complaints here. (Other than wish my wife could drive a manual. Then we might have two.)
  • billytongbillytong Member Posts: 20
    It's anyone know that company in Vancouver Canada? Can I trust this company offerrd by BMW Canada? Is it necessary to buy a extended Warranty for 2000-528ai?
    billytong... Why not buy a CPO car? You'll get the remainder of all the original warranties and maintenance agreement as well as the additional CPO coverage that is honored by all BMW dealers since it comes from BMW. CPO is direct from BMW and is not from a 3rd party. (Still can't figure out why if your comparison car is an Accord V-6 coupe you aren't considering a new or CPO 3 Series coupe.)

If you go 3rd party warranty, do your research. Check with the Canadian BBB. Check out some insurance company data (e.g., AM Best). This insurance coverage is only as good as the company. If they fold, you are left with nothing. And read the contract very, very carefully to see what terms, conditions, exclusions, co-pays, limitation, etc. exist. The devil is in the details.
    Hi riez,

Thank you for your good advice. Why I still looking for a 2000-528ia because this car is belonged to my friend. I really know the car history and how much he spent on this car. The lease will be expired in the end of Jan 2003. If I take over this car I only have to pay the residue value & the transfer fee plus the 3rd party extended warranty. I'm worry about if I buy this car under BMW CPO coverage. The price will be a huge different. I'm not sure can I negotiate to get a BMW CPO coverage under the same price.
    Here is the deal if I take over my friend car.

My friend lease a 2000 528ia with Premium package, 6 CD, moon roof, tiptronic, xenon light, 17" rim & 4-16"rim & winter tires will be expired in the end of Feb 2003. The transfer ownership from him to me it costs US$400 plus extended warranty US$1800. The estimated final mileage will be around 28750 miles. Is it worth to buy this car? residue value US$23,200+15% sales taxes in canada. So the final amount that I have to pay is US$25,500+15% taxes. Remarks: Excellent conditions

I'm looking forwarding to receiving your reply.
    Thanks
  • sharrissharris Member Posts: 32
    I recently picked up my 2003 530i after doing ED in late October. Car is great, but I'm having a problem with the NAV system. I used it while in Germany (brought the German NAV CD with me) and it worked flawlessly. Now the car is in the states, and just a few days ago I received the new NAV DVD for the US. I loaded the DVD, only to find that the car still "thinks" it is in Germany! It shows the current coordinates as about 53 degrees N latitude, 8'30 degrees E longitude. That is around Bremen, in northern Germany (near the port of departure, if I'm not mistaken). I can enter a destination and it will display the correct map, so I know it is reading the DVD just fine. But when I try to get it to display directions to the destination, it shows something like ">10kmls", which I take it to mean the destination is over 10,000 miles from the current location (which would be true, if the car were still in Germany!).

Anyway, I don't see anything in the owner's manual that accounts for this. I wonder if there is a way to "reboot" the system, to get it to accurately update its position. I've got a service scheduled with my local dealer in about 10 days (it will be my first!), but meanwhile, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions on how I might correct this, please let me know. Thanks!
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    My first suggestion is to change the country on your destination screen. Your Destination is probably set to Germany. You need to change it to the United States for your new DVD to work. If this does not solve your problem, contact the dealer.
    billytong... Only you really know if you trust your friend. Have you looked over all the service and maintenance records? Talked to the dealer who has (hopefully) done all the work?

The 528ia is a great sedan. It isn't a coupe.

Will you be buying it outright (cash) or financing? Sometimes buying thru dealer can get you better financing, but then again often people can find a decent local bank or credit union offering competitive rates. (BMW FS had been offering some cheap financing rates on '00 CPO units.)

I'm not a fan of 3rd party warranties. Not saying all are bad, just that you really have to do your homework (i.e., research the company and the specific contract they are offering). I'd rather have CPO than 3rd party warranty.

Based on all you've said and what you are comparing it to, still thinking you might be better off buying a loaded 2003 Accord V6 coupe.
  • mod62mod62 Member Posts: 38
    There is quite a range in tire pressure requirements in the manual and the B-pillar of my '02 525iT 5-speed.
    I have Michelin 225/55 R16 95H M+S and Michelin Alpin Snow Tires with the same configuration as the M+S.
    1. Should the presure be different for the snows in each of the questions below? If so, please respond with both answers.
    2. The maximum psi with four people is 30psi in the front and 36psi in the rear with four occupants. 80% of my driving is just me. What is the optimal pressure for driving alone? If I do have four passengers should the pressure be at the max of 30/36?
    3. Same questions as 2, but the manual shows 36 (front) and 44 (rear) with 5 passengers and luggage. Why is their such a jump in pressure. Are the amounts in quotes pound limits. That is, 36(250).
    4. Is there a weight guideline I can go by because I also have a luggage carrier I need to factor in, especially during ski season.

Thanks
  • yadmanyadman Member Posts: 8
    I'm thinking of purchasing a 2000 528I sedan and during my research on this vehicle I could not find any information detailing what all the options were for this vehicle in 2000. Does anyone know a good place that describes all the options?

If not, can someone describe what the following packages contained:

1) Premium
    2) Sport
    3) Sport-Premium
    4) Cold Weather

Also, are their any problems or issues I should be concerned about for this year?

The Northeast dealer is asking $29,995 for a CPO with 5sp manual, premium pkg, moonroof, CD changer, 28K miles. The dealer states it has sport pkg but this car has a 4 spoke steering wheel, not a 3 spoke. It does however have the 17" sport wheels, so I'm not sure. The factory warranty expires 7/7/2003 at which time the CPO warranty will kick in.

Thanks for all the good information...great message board!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    2000 528i sedan options are listed here. I don't see descriptions of those packages though. The folks here will give you their thoughts, I'm sure.

Good luck.

:-)
  • chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    yadman, The Sport pkg includes not only the 17" wheels but also the following:

3 spoke M-steering wheel
    Sport front seats (with adjustable thigh support)
    Blackout around windows (no chrome)
    Different struts, shocks & springs

There is slight change in package content if you buy either a 525i or 540i. This is valid for either the 528i or 530i.

Just curious which Northeast dealer are you dealing with. I live in New Hampshire and purchased my 02 530i from Tulley BMW.

Chris
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    In '01 at least, the 525i and 530i SP did not include the sport seats -- they were a standalone option. This may also have been the case for the '00 528i, so you should verify through an authoritative source. The "vehicle library" at the BMWUSA.com site is no help.
    yadman... Ask the BMW dealer. They may have a copy of the MY 2000 Fast Fack Book and other sources that detail all the options and components of option packages. Covers all BMWs in magnificent detail. Hundreds of pages about options, option packages, tech specs, prices, etc. Used by salespeople for just your type query.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    your dealer is "less than totally upfront."

Let's see, the car has the wheels that make it look like a Sport Package, but the steering wheel that doesn't. The rest of the package consists of shocks, springs, sway bars and other stuff that not even most dealers, let alone you (no offense, I hope) could detect.

Hmm. . .steering wheel (and airbag) says the car isn't a Sport Package. Four wheels that could be replaced in 30 minutes by a well-trained technician says it is.

Don't you just love car dealers?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    I don't know how the system actually works, but it sure seems reasonable that the dealer should be able to run the VIN thru a BMWNA database to produce a build sheet showing how the vehicle was equipped originally. Then, as Riez says, use the fact book to determine package content for that year.
    According to it,

2001 525i Sport Package ($1,500 MSRP): M Sport Suspension, 17-inch wheels and tires. Following not available: Sport Front Seats, Shadowline Exterior Trim, or Sport Steering Wheel.

2001 530i Sport Package ($1,970): M Sport Suspension, 17-inch wheels and tires, Shadowline Exterior Trim, and 3-spoke Sport Steering Wheel. Front sport seats an available option ($475), requiring Sport Pkg and also requiring Convenience Package ($600).
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    isn't yadman requesting information regarding 2000 528i options ? I see a lot of information for other MY and E39 models, but nothing specific addressing his question. Cdpinhead is correct about the three spoke wheel - it is included in the SP.

My $.02....JL
    srfast... I don't have a ton of readily available detailed info on MY 2000 5 Series. We can only provide information that we have. It is relevant to the general discussion (e.g., what do various Sport Packages include). Yadman needs to do some of his own research. Including talking with BMW dealer, checking out various web sites (Edmunds, BMW NA, Roundel, etc.), going to the library (e.g., read back issues where '00 528i were tested), stopping by a good bookstore (e.g., Borders or Barnes & Noble). All sorts of sources are out there.
    -17" Cross Spoke Wheels
    -M Sports Steering Wheel
    -Shadowline
    -M Sport Suspension
    -Interior Uprade
  • stl540stl540 Member Posts: 67
    I put 12K miles on my 02 540iA SP over the past 7 months. It is an absolute pleasure to drive this car. I have not had any problems thus far. I had to visit the dealer one time because I ran over tire tread from a tractor trailer tire. I took my 5 to the dealer for an inspection to see if anything was damaged. The dealer had to straighten the front air spoiler. No other problems with the car.

I have the steptronic automatic. I used to use the manual shifter frequently, but now typically drive with the auto in sport mode. I find the manual mode fun to use where I can push the 5 a little harder and want to stay in a gear while going into a turn, but the sport mode is a fun way to drive the car on a daily basis.

The sport mode will shift to a lower gear with just a little throttle much quicker than the normal auto mode. This is very helpful for passing situations. No matter how fast I am going (10-20-30-70-80 MPH...etc), the car will take off very quickly with just ~50% throttle. The 5 seems to scream for more throttle.

I got to drive the 5 in the snow (with stock 9in wide perf tires) and it performed as expected. I had difficulty starting on slight grades. Once moving, the car (with the DSC enabled) kept me straight even when hitting a slick sections of the road. The DSC is very impressive technology. A rear-wheeled drive car w/o DSC would have fish-tailed quite a bit. Overall, the car handled ok. The 9" wide perf tires do not handle as well as a pair of all season tires or snow tires would handle. My neighbor has an AWD A6 and he did not like the way he tires performed either. He is looking to get a set of snow tires for better handling in the snow.

I highly recommend the 540i. The car is rock solid, quiet interior, comfortable sport seats, and is a blast to drive. The handsome looks are a plus also. This is a car that I will not get tired of.

Happy driving!
    According to my dog-earred 42-page full-color 1998 BMW 5 Series brochure, in 1998 the 528i's Sport Package provided:

-Electrically adjustable Montana leather seats and leather door trim
    -Technical Surface trim
    -Sport Suspension
    -235/45R-17 93W high performance tires
    -17-inch cross-spoke alloy wheels
    -Shadowline Exterior Trim
    -Choice of standard or metallic paint

Interestingly, the "Electrically adjustable sport seats with adjustable thigh support" were only available with the 540i. And there was no sport steering wheel for any 5 Series in 1998.

Is interesting to see how BMW has equipped the Sport Package over time and across the 6-cyl models: 525i, 528i, and 530i. I had half thought it had near universally come with the Sport Seats and Sport Steering wheel.
    stl540... What can of fuel economy have you been getting? City? Interstate? Wondering if the numerically higher final drive (3.15:1) and automatic lead to significant decrease. In my 540i6 I can get 26 mpg cruising 74 mph on interstate.
    Thanks everyone for all the information.

The dealer (New Country Motors in Hartford, CT) has confirmed that this car does NOT have the Sport Pkg, but does have the Sport Wheels.

All this information will come in handy since I don't believe this is the car for me. I'm having a hard time getting "reliable" information from this dealer. Either their hiding something about this car or they don't really care if they sell the car (could just be the salesman's style, don't know).

Does anyone have any thoughts on the following:
    1) car was CPO enrolled on 10/04/2002
    2) on 10/11/2002 the car had service done by the dealer that showed 27,308 for miles.
    3) the car now has 27,980 miles.

That's close to 700 miles in 3 months. Seems like an awful lot of test drives!

Could the dealer be using this car as a loaner or staff vehicle?

Again, thanks for all the info!
    yadman... Have you run a CarFax report on the car? Ask the dealer who the prior owner was and talk to that person. Also, ask the dealer more questions. Was this dealer the original seller? If so, get them to print out all the options or produce a copy of the original window sticker (e.g., maybe the original invoice). Can't say I'd buy from a dealer I didn't trust.

Have you run a CPO locate on BMW NA site? Is very user friendly. There might be some other cars more to your liking in a decent radius.

If the dealer has the car on his/her lot for many months, wouldn't be surprising to see other people take for test drive or for dealer staff to put some miles on it. (At least it isn't just sitting there collecting dust. I'd rather have some light use over 3 months than 3 months of complete neglect.)
    Riez... I have not run the report, the dealer ran it for me. However, the dealer only gave me the first 4 sections of the report and not the Registration Check or Veh History Details. I'll be asking for those, but this is one reason for my hesitation with this dealer.

The prior owner was from NJ and moved to CT. I'd love to talk to this person but just assumed the dealer would not release that information. I'll ask.

I'll check out the CPO locater on BMW.
    Dear All,

I'm interesting to buy my friend's 2000-528ia silver body with xeron light, 16" wheel, moonroof, 6-CD, premium upgrade plus 4 new 16" rim & new winter tires. The milage is around 28,500. Excellent conditions. The residue value is US$22,700+$320(admin fee). But I have to buy a extended warranty coverage from www.1sourceautowarranty.com it costs US$3,199 up to 100,000 or 2010. Do you think its a good deal?
    Thanks It is very very Urgent!!!!!!!
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    I wouldn't do it at 3,199. Put that money in the bank as a continguency. Since you know the history, and if you maintain it properly, you should not have repairs that match that figure.

I would self insure, but that's just MHO.

Good luck,

Jack
    billytong... I concur with joatmon.

But I am also just inherently sceptical about 3rd party car warranties. You have to research the terms and conditions and limitations carefully (e.g., is there a deductible, exactly what is not covered, can they force you to use non-BMW parts, etc.). And you have to research the company very carefully. If they fold, you have nothing.

If warranty coverage and long-term reliability is the most important issue, maybe you'd feel more comfortable with the new 2003 Accord Coupe? If pure driving excitement is most important, you won't go wrong with a 528i. Keep in mind that you have the remainder of the BMW 4yr/50K bumper-to-bumper warranty plus the remainder of the MY 2000 BMW 3yr/36K free maintenance coverage.
  • chibabechibabe Member Posts: 3
    I JUST PURCHASED A 1997 520I AUTO. DRIVE WAS BRILLIANT 1ST WEEK. THEN I WASHED THE CAR. 2 DAYS LATER IT WOULD'NT START. I THOUGHT INITIALLY IT WAS DUE TO THE RECENT COLD WEATHER IN IRELAND AND THOUGHT THE BATTERY WAS DEAD. CHARGED THE BATTERY BUT STILL THE SAME PROBLEM. ENGINE CRANKS AND CRANKS BUT DOES'NT START. I THOUGHT IT COULD BE A FUEL OVERFILL AND TRIED STARTING WITH THE FUEL PUMP FUSE OUT STILL NO LUCK. HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS? IT WAS WORKING PERFECTLY WHEN I PARKED IT. THERE ARE NO WARNING LIGHTS COMING UP AND IT STILL HAS 6000MILES TILL THE NEXT SERVICE. PLEASE KINDLY HELP WITH POSSIBLE CAUSES OF THE PROBLEM. THANKS
  • siobhanjohnsiobhanjohn Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know the best price I can expect on a loaded 540i 6 speed. MSRP is approximatey 61,500. I have heard 96 % of MSRP (59,040). I am in New Jersey. Thanks.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    In NJ, you should be able to negotiate $1000-$2000 over dealer invoice (see eurobuyers.com for invoice pricing). Forget MSRP.

To get rock bottom pricing, look into the European Delivery (ED) option.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'm not sure what you mean by a "loaded" 540i, but here's a quick rundown I did:

MSRP Base Car - $55,800
    Options: Navigation, Premium Hi-Fi, Cold Weather Package - $3,600
    Destination and Handling - $695
    Gas Guzzler Tax - $1,300
    Total MSRP = $61,395

The US invoice on this car is $56,210. I suspect you should be able to get it for no more than $1,500 to $2,000 over invoice = $57,710 to $58,210.

The European Delivery invoice price on this car is $52,495. I know that I could get it at $1,200 to $1,500 over ED invoice, or roughly $53,700 to $54,000. Add the cost of a trip to Europe and you are still way ahead.

Frankly, I would have a difficult time paying at or near $60k for a 540i 6-speed when the M5 is "only" $72k. Or, more realistically, I would have a tough time justifying paying $60k for a 540i 6-speed, when I can get a well equiped 530i Sport 5-speed through ED for about $42,500.

Check out www.eurobuyers.com for all the prices, US / ED & MSRP / Invoice (wholesale).
  • ewoqewoq Member Posts: 37
    You can also post questions on:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e39/
    habitat1... 540i6 makes a great used (CPO) car. Find one with lowish miles. Save the gas guzzler tax. Avoid unnecessary options. (For me, I can't imagine Nav system. Thankfully I don't have one. Too expensive when you compare to the original Mark 1 eyeball and some great maps. They will get you there 99.99% of time. Quicker and easier. Not sure the DSP/premium sound system is worth much. System came with my CPO unit. But I did want the rear airbags and split-fold rear seat.)

In my neck of the woods you just don't see too many M5. New or used. Very expensive to begin with. Don't think the dealers haggle much with price. Likely MSRP or up for new? And they seem to hold their value well (though that may be more a function of limited supply). But then I'd also be nervous that the prior owner might've had too much fun with it.

The more aggressive gearing and larger, higher output engine take a toll on highway economy. Love fact my '98 cruises all day at 74 mph (I travel a lot in a 65 mph max state) at about 2,100 RPMs getting 26 mpg.

But all that said, would I love an M5? Heck yes!!!
  • chibabechibabe Member Posts: 3
    thanks ewog. will check out the site.
    Looked at the January 2003 issue of Roundel magazine (BMW CCA). Noticed two 2002 540i6 and two 2002 M5 listed.

For MY 2002 540i6 (both with CWP):

1. $51,900. 3,500 miles
    2, $55,000. 10,000 miles (ski boot bag)

For MY 2002 M5:

1. $65,000. 9,800 miles. (PDC, digital phone)
    2. $72,500. 7,000 miles. (all avail. options)

Choice, choices.
  • sta2sta2 Member Posts: 19
    My wife & I are contemplating a purchase and per edmunds, we can't find any real differences between the model years as far as technology goes? It seems that certain optional items became standard, etc....Can someone list the differences between the years? Or maybe point us to a site that lists them? Tia

We're looking at a 2001>2003 530i Auto, Prem., Sport, Roof, DSP, Folding Rear Seats

Dave
  • cbgb1975cbgb1975 Member Posts: 51
    Difference in 2003 v 2002 530 is Rear Head protection System is Std in 2003, moonroof is no longer optional ,it is standard on 2003. Other changes from 2003 were for 525 and 540. Cannot comment on 2001, but maybe the bmwusa site will have it under their cpo model library...saw some news today the 2003 cd-radio in 5 series is compatible with sirius satellite radio transmissions,assume this would nort be the case with prior model years...does anyone know more about this?
    In addition, the packaging has changed some. In 2002, the Sport Package picked up the sport seats, which were previously separate options, if memory serves. Perhaps someone else has a better memory about those...

As for Sirius satellite radio, it's funny you ask. Hot off the press releases, Sirius and BMW have announced the systems will finally be offered as dealer-installed options now: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030109/nyth165_1.html.

That's great, but I'm concerned about Sirius' long-term financial health. Both XM and Sirius are struggling to enroll as many members as possible to recoup the billions invested in launching their services, but XM is far ahead of Sirius in number of subscribers (350,000 versus 25,000) and overall financial health.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    At full MSRP, the difference between a loaded 540i 6-speed and M5 ($12k+/-) makes the M5 look like a bargain. However, as has been pointed out, the 540i 6-speed is being substantially discounted and is availalbe through the ED program which makes the real world difference more like $20k.

As for used prices, someone can ask $55k or $51.9k for a 2002 540i 6-speed or $72k for an M5, but they aren't likely to get it when you can get a brand new 2003 for the same price. Anybody that would pay nearly as much for a used car as a new one either has more money or less brains than me. My rule of thumb would be a minimum of 15% savings for a mint condition used version of last year's model vs. a new version of this year's. By that measure, anything more than $45k for a 2002 540i 6-speed would be excessive. The M5 resale is helped by limited supply, but I could still not see paying more than $63-$65k for a 2002.
  • needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    Can anyone comment on the usage of winter tires versus all season tires in occasionally snowy, occasionally rainy, occasionally sunny (Chicago) conditions. Happy motoring.
  • siobhanjohnsiobhanjohn Member Posts: 3
    I test drove a 540i 6 speed today, a 2000, and I liked it. It reminded me of the 1998 e36 M3 I used to have. The ride was much more comfortable and the handling was slightly less precise. Given the discussion of price above I am having a hard time deciding which 5 series car to get. I definetly want the sport package and manual shift. If I am not doing alot of high speed highway driving will the added power of the M5 or 540i be appreciated compared to the 530i? I have several twisty roads on my way to work and I want to enjoy them. Is the handling advantage of the M5 significant compared to the other cars? The 530 comes with 17 inch tires and the 540 18's. Does this make a noticable difference. Are there suspensions the same with the sport package? I realize this is very subjective but it would be difficult to test drive the other 2 cars. I could (with a bit of a stretch) afford the M5, but would it be worth the money at the speeds I would be driving? Also it is not practical for me (unfortunatly) to do european delivery. Any advice would be appreciated.
    If I lived in Chicago, I'd definitely get winter tires on 16" wheels and swap them out during winter, unless I had a backup AWD vehicle with winter tires for snowy/icy days. The all-season tires are decent on the slick stuff, but don't achieve the kind of safe traction which dedicated snow/winter tires can. And, I'd replace the all-seasons (once they wear out) with summer/performance tires to maximize dry and wet performance during non-winter driving.
    Only you can answer questions such as what you can afford or whether a car has "enough" power. Most people who aren't rich tend to buy the best car they can afford, but there's no hard and fast rules here. I love my 530i 5-speed sport as much today as the day I bought it. I'm still amazed by the smooth power delivery, the unflappable chassis, the comfortable and functional interior, etc. I've driven a 540, and can vouch for its greater torque, but I hardly think the 530i is underpowered. The handling is very similar between the two, but when pushed to the limit the 530 will outhandle the 540 because of its lower weight, better weight distribution, and its rack and pinion steering which--in my opinion, at least--is better than the 540's recirculating ball setup.

The M5 is a different beast altogether. I haven't driven it but have ridden in one at the PDC track, and it's amazing. Its handling is probably less nimble than the others' since it's so heavy (over 4k lbs.), but its adhesion and cornering limits are extremely high, and its power is absurd. I was rather nauseous after four blindingly fast laps, but I couldn't shake a massive grin off my face. If I had $75k, the M5 would be my choice, easy.

Bottom line, drive as many models as you can and decide for yourself. Good luck.
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    I have a 530I with steptronic which I use with the sport program. I absolutely love to drive my car especially on open roads and twisty mountain roads.It certainly is not underpowered even with the Step. I have driven the 540I with 6 speed and did like it a lot but not enough IMHO to purchase it. The M5 is altogether another matter, sure I would like to have one,what a car! Do I need that much raw power for everyday, probably not !
  • stl540stl540 Member Posts: 67
    Riez - I do not get anywhere near the MPG you get. I get 18-19 MPG with my normal commute in stop-and-go traffic. I get 22-23 MPG cruising 85MPH on the interstate. The car is rated at 15MPG city and 21MPG highway on the sticker. While I look at the calculated MPG during each fill-up, I honestly would not care if it got 12 MPG. I had a V8 SUV for 5 years before my 540i and typically got 15-17MPG, so I am better off than before and the 5er is a lot more fun to drive. :)

530i vs 540i - I test drove the 530iA before buying my 2002 540iA w/SP. The 530iA had sufficient power, but the then I jumped in 540iA. It had the power that I really wanted in this type of car. The 540iA is a blast to drive. Many cars require you to get within a certain band in the RPMs in order to get sufficient passing power. Not the 540i. No matter the RPMs, the car will flat out move.

I have read that many people like the handling of the 530i better than the 540i. I have not driven the 530i recently to remember, but the 540i is a very impressive handling car. It is a heavy car, but I have not been disappointed with the handling.

For me the extra $6K or so was money well spent for the power of the 540i. I plan to keep this car for 5-7 years and it will provide a lot of smiles to make me not think twice about the extra cost. No buyer remorse here.
  • pobrianpobrian Member Posts: 9
    Any suggestions on the best place to find a good price on snow tires? It's for an '02 530i (non-sport). Also, my assumption is to purchase new steel rims as well. Anyone have any comments to the contrary?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Go to www.tirerack.com I fitted 225/60 Artic Alpins on 15" steelies(which won't fit a 530i)and BMW OEM wheel covers. It takes me less than an hour to swap them over and I don't have to worry about some moronic mimimum wage "tech" over-torqueing the lug bolts or scarring my alloy summer wheels.
    Not to belabor the power debate, but I'd concur that the 530iA felt a little lacking to me as well (compared to a 540iA). But, I'd add that with the stick, the engine seems to really liven up and pull stronger in every gear.

As for the price difference, when I priced out equivalently-equipped 530i5 and 540i6 models, the difference (after taxes) was about $9k.