Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• bmwdougbmwdoug Posts: 248
    I am looking at a 2001 530i with sport package and premimum package, but NO xenon lights. Are no xenon lights a deal breaker? The price of the car is $38500 and it is a CPO from a dealer with 20,000 miles. What do you think?
  • blueox2blueox2 Posts: 19
    bmwdoug,

The Edmunds TMV for a CPO 530i with sport premium is $38,673. If you believe, the Edmund's data you'd be paying less than the average price actually paid by other consumers if you pay $38500.

blueox
    Shipo,

Thanks for stumping for me to check your tires. I see that there is much to learn about these complex vehicles. Who would have imagined that tire selection and rotation would be so complicated. Anyhow, thanks for the insights.

BlueOx2
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,903
    I had a misfortunate mishap with a 3/4" thick steel plate in the middle of the road covering an open manhole in The Bronx a few months ago that resulted in a cracked rim, popped tire, a bent rear stabalizer bar, bent right rear ball joint, and bent right rear lower control arm on my 2001 Prelude Type SH. What does this have to do with the tire rack on a BMW 5 series board you ask? The Prelude's 205/50 VR16 Bridegestone Potenza RE-92s (a rare size) were selling at local tire shops for anywhere between $185 & $258. The Tire Rack shipped me the same tire for $140 right to my store. Very painless. The sales people are not pushy and are extremely knowledgeable (think a company full of Shipos) and courteous. A very pleasant experience (buying a new tire that is).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    No problem, the closest I get to a BMW these days is looking at mine in the garage, and reading and writing about them here in the TownHall. I should be able to start driving mine when I get back from Taipei on the 17th, assuming that is, that I keep progressing over there (without the benefit of PT) like I am now.

In the meantime, I will have to enjoy all things BMW vicariously through y'all. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Dude! I'm blushing again. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    So, are you saying, in your opinion, the 2001 530i is the better deal? What about no Xenon lights? Not that big of deal?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    ..I'm no going to resurect the whole ED debate again.

But, bmwdoug, I sure hope there are lot more potential used car buyers like you around in around 2005/6 if I decide to buy a fully loaded (Xenon included) brand new 2003 530i for about $43k. Even if I wouldn't get the "CPO" price, the thought that there are buyers out there (as evidenced by Edmund's TMV) willing to pay only $5-6k less for a two year old car than a new one is comforting. I wouldn't buy the 530i with the idea of selling it in 2 years, but it's nice to know that it could be done at minimal depreciation.

As for the lack of Xenon's being a deal killer, I would say that if you are prepared to pay that much for a used car, it should have exactly what you think is the essential equipment. Personally, I'd rather have a BMW 530i without Xenon's (without headlights, for that matter) than most other sedans with Xenon's.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,600
    Personally I've owned xenons and non-xenons and I'm not sure they're worth all the extra bucks. Yes they are better especially if you drive in/& around a lot of country or rural roads. Yes they are worth more, but the question is, will one recoup the premium one invests when it comes time to resale with their impending replacement. I think much of their hype has become a status symbol. Bottom line: I'd buy the car first and foremost based on the car itself. If it has the xenons, it's a bonus.
  • pap5pap5 Posts: 144
    Yesterday, I finally got around to bringing my '01 530ia to the dealer for the software update that some have discussed here. The shop foreman said there were no bulletins that seemed to apply, but hooked it up to the computer anyway. Sure enough, there was new code to download. FWIW and for those who can make use of it, here are the part #s:

-Basic control module, old 7511570, new 7519308
    -Programmed control module, old 7512670, new 7522354

The throttle response seems noticeably improved; the car seems livelier. Slowly, after a slipping transmission repair, faulty throttle module replacement, and now this upgrade, the drivetrain quality is catching up with the outstanding handling, steering, braking, etc. that the 530 SP offers.

Tires/Tire Rack -- To add my $.02 belatedly - When I removed the Pilot Primacies for the winter last December, they had about 17,000 miles on them. When I remount them next weekend (please, Lord!), I expect they'll be good for another 8K or so. They seem ideally suited to the character of the 530 SP - not ultimate performance tires by any means, but a fine 3-season balance of wet/dry performance, ride, noise, wear, etc.

bmwdoug/habitat - Agree with habitat that a new car bought through ED is the best overall value. You don't have to convince me, since I did it almost 2 years ago. However, for some, it just may not work. And a CPO 2001 has one very attractive advantage that even a new BMW can't match: Warranty coverage (after deductible) until 100,000 miles.
    What do you folks think the best way to go on a 03 530i: Lease or Buy? With the new 04 coming out in about a year, depending on the source, is buying or leasing a 03 530i the better way to go?
    You state the price of new 2003 530i fully loaded is $43K. Actually, dealer invoice on an '03 530i with premium, sport, steptronic, and xenon is $44,110. MSRP is $48,170.

In regards to expected depreciation, check out the "True Cost to Own" feature on the Edmund's website after you price out a new vehicle. I found it very informative. You can see over a 5 year span how much a car will cost you in terms of depreciation, fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc.
    Personally, I love the look of the E39, the jury is still out regarding the E60. I would lease the 2003, and give your eyes a chance to get used to the E60 AND for BMW to work the bugs out of the new car. Then you can decide down the road if you want to keep the E39, or go for the newer design.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I have not seen any price close to $43,000 for a fully loaded new 03 530i. Where did you find that deal? I would jump all over that. And, Shipo thanks for your opinion on the current 5 series style.
    I am looking for a 530i, sport package, premium package, XENON lights, in black with gray interior, would consider black interior, but prefer gray. I am looking for a 2001 or 2002 with low miles. I am ready and able to buy, just need to find the car. Thanks.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I promised I wasn't going to start another ED (European Delivery) debate. It's not for everybody. But it is for me. Blueox: the car you specified with the MSRP of $48,170 and US invoice of $44,110 has an ED invoice of $41,335. I would pay exactly $42,835 ($1,500) over invoice to order that car from a local DC area dealer and pick it up in Munich.

That's not the car I would get, however. Mine will be a 5-speed with the premium hi-fi stereo, plus Xenon's, sport & premium packages. MSRP $48,095, US invoice $44,000, ED invoice $41,225, my price $42,725 ($42,425 if I'm lucky) + $1,000 trip budget going alone for 3 days 2 nights (unless I use frequent flier points).

Again, my point is not to ressurect the ED debate. I'm simply stating what I will be paying for the car and why it's nice to see that 2 year old ones are still worth over $35k.

On the "true cost to own", I find the calculations very "gross" approximations that really don't match my experience. My actual cost of ownership for an 8 year old Nissan Maxima with 135k miles has been significantly less than Edmunds estimate.
  • george94george94 Posts: 75
    BMWDoug, I was able to negotiate $1,500 over invoice here in boston area for 530, 5spd, SP and PP with Xenon. I am not going thru ED. My car is actually already made and on its way to boston. I heard about the advantages and savings via ED but decided to go locally. My dealer is 10 miles from my house. I believe you get your car faster this way - I custom ordered it and should have it within 6 weeks from the order date. So far, nothing has gone wrong yet..
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    bmwdoug... Before you go salivating about ED, you might want to take the time to cost out all the time, effort, hassles, expenses, etc. that ED has over a regular purchase. There are those who remain unconvinced that ED is a real savings. Get what you want & can afford. Negotiate hard. Look around at as many dealers as you can.
  • m1fullerm1fuller Posts: 9
    hey,

I'm interested if anyone has installed an amplifier in a bmw with stock radio and DSP.

How does it sound?

Is it really worth it?

Thanks,
    I own a 2003 BMW 530i with prem. sound/DSP
    Hmmm, 530i 5-Speed (Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leather), PP, SP, Xenon and Premium Audio, sounds familiar. Oh yeah! That exact car is sitting in my garage right now. I guess great minds think along similar patterns. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I had a good PT session yesterday, and literally overnight, my range of motion had improved so much that today, I squeezed into a large bedroom slipper and took my 530i for a ride to the office. Wow, when my hand finished its first gear change, it became all tingly, and I swear it had a "Handgasm"! ;-) What a pleasure to drive a real car for a change. Needless to say, I am taking it REAL EASY.

Hmmm, Mrs. Shipo put over 3,000 miles on it in the last eight weeks! I wonder if she has been taking the LOOONG way to work. ;-) No wonder why she keeps threatening to break my other leg when this one is fully healed. ;-)

I will get one more chance to drive it tomorrow, and then I will be out of town until the 17th, so, hopefully I won't regress too much (no PT in Taipei), as I am hoping to start driving it full time when I get back.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    Hey, great to hear you were able to drive and your account is priceless ! Have a good trip, negotiate a lot of business and let us know when you get back.....glad to hear you are ahead of schedule in your recovery.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Congrats on your speedy recovery and let's hope you keep in a "BREAK FREE ZONE" !:). I thought I saw Mrs. Shipo a few times in NJ. That would explain the looong routes to the office. :)
    Thanks Guys! ;-)

I think I am going to hide the key while I am in Taipei, that will allow her to re-adjust to the Caravan while I am out of town. ;-)

Best Regards
    Shipo
    What do people think of 330i vs. 530i? I have driven the 330i in 5-spd (a real rocket!) but thus far only driven the 530i with Steptronic. Do you lose a lot of "sports car feel" by going with the larger, heavier 530i? Is that more than made up for by the advantages of a larger cabin, trunk, and more amenities in the 5-series? I can afford either and we plan to get a wagon or small SUV as our second car so the cargo space is not a major consideration for me in deciding 330 vs 530. One downside, of course, is that if I do get a 330 I'll have to change discussion groups! ;)
  • ryokenryoken Posts: 291
    Why change? Shipo posts in both groups. :)
    Hmmm, first off, there is only a 209 pound difference between the 330i and the 530i, so any performance difference will be undetectable by your "Butt Dyno". ;-)

Regarding other 3-Series vs. 5-Series issues, I posted the following on 5-Mar over on the "European Delivery" board:

As you might know, I turned in my perfectly good 1999 328i with only 40K miles on it last year. I did in fact consider staying in the E46 body style (either by keeping my 328i, or by moving up to a 330i), however, my growing children were complaining about their "Foot Room" in the back of my 328i, and I knew that the 330i would be no better. Given that I have always liked the look of the E39 5-Series, especially since the 2001 facelift, I decided to "Test fit" my kids in the back of a 5er. Even though the official specifications show it as having only 0.1" more leg room than the E46, my kids fit a lot better. The other issue I had with the 5-Series was performance, back in 1998 when I ordered my 328i, I drove a 528i, and found its performance to be just a little lacking. Now however, with the 3.0 liter engine in the 530i, I found that the car was transformed from a marginal performer to a car that could easily dust my 328i (which could in turn, easily dust a 325i). I was sold.

The only remaining issue was which body style, I was tempted to keep the 328i for a year or two longer and upgrade to the E60 5-Series (which was then thought to have a debut date in late 2002 or very early 2003), however, I REALLY did not like the look of the Spy Photos available at the time. In fact, I am still not too fond of the (now softened) look, and much prefer the classic lines of the E39. So I decided to order my 530i to coincide with a trip to Europe that my wife and I were planning.

As for specific likes when compared to the E46. Other than the performance, looks and extra back seat room already mentioned, I have compiled a list of items and how they compare, in my subjective opinion:

I like the steering in the 530i better, that said, I did not have the SP on the 328i
    I like the 5-Series Premium Audio a lot better than the 3-Series Harman Kardon system
    My wife LOVES the dual climate control that does not exist in the 3-Series
    The 5-Series has a FAR more comprehensive "Trip Computer"
    The seats in the 530i are far better than the comparable 3-Series SP seats

Then there are the little things, like when driving the E46, and you cross the temperature threshold south of 38 degrees, the car "Dings" you to let you know of that fact, and then (unless you catch it in time), it changes your dash display to show you the OAT. Grrrr. On the 5-Series, there is MUCH more display area, which is split between the Speedo area and the top of the Audio Panel display, so, when you cross that magic threshold, you are "Dinged" once, and no displays change. I know that this is a stupid little issue, but I cannot tell you how much aggravation that it caused me, and how GLAD I am that my 530i does not do that.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bimmer12bimmer12 Posts: 72
    Good afternoon:

Been a long time since I've visited this board and glad to see it's still going strong. I was skimming some of the 500 posts I've missed and shipo, sorry to hear about your leg-hopefully PT will get you up and about soon- Any attempts to get your therapist to let you do a little PT reacquanting yourslef with the clutch of your 5'er?

Anyways, quick question for all on this board. Usually, when new models are introduced, there are little quirks in the first year of production (see E65 7 series).. Was curious if such problems exits in the first year of a new engine. I have a colleague looking into a 2001 530i- being the first year of the 3.0 litre engine, are there any mechanical issues that he should be aware of? Also, in 2001, BMW played arouns with the sterring of the 3-series introducing a "park-friendly" version that was a little soft. Was this also built into the 5-series? I don't think it was but just want to confirm.. Anyting else that he should look into with a 2001 model?

Thanks in Advance
    Welcome back. ;-)

The good news is that my clutch foot is in perfect shape, it is my gas and brake foot/leg that got itself dislocated/broken. I started driving with my right foot again yesterday (first time in my car in over two months), and so far I have driven about 20 pain free miles, including testing (on an empty side street) to see if I would have any pain during a panic stop. Needless to say, I haven't told my therapist that I am using it yet as I am still supposed to be in my "Clamshell" walking cast for most of the day. ;-) Fortunately (or otherwise) I will be out of town from early tomorrow until the 17th, at which point I have my Sturgeons' [sic] approval to start using the foot.

Regarding the 3.0 engine and steering of the 2001 5er: Good news, the engine is simply a bored out version of the venerable 2.8, with some computer tweeks and such, so no worries there. Good news also on the steering front, BMW played no such games with the 525i/530i Rack and Pinion steering like they did on the 325i/330i.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo,

Thanks for the feedback. I've been shopping late model used 330i and 530i. I guess the main issue I will have to consider is whether the 530i is worth the extra 4-5K and whether I can find a private party selling a 5-spd 530i near me.

Best of luck on your continued rehab. As an avid athlete who gets the occasional injury, the thought has occurred to me that one potential downside to the 5-spd is that it does require fully functioning right arm and both legs! Have a safe trip to Tapei.

BlueOx