Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• guapingguaping Member Posts: 6
  • guapingguaping Member Posts: 6
    sorry, I keep hitting the enter tab to get to the body of the text. Like you I also a have a 2 month old '03 5301. But I just want to share what I read from another forum regarding this odor. This is from "Dave: Lysol fix that worked for me:
    The following Lysol fix has worked for the entire Summer and without making my car smell like Lysol. I fully expect to have to do it again in Spring.

Here is what I did two days in a row using Lysol "Country Scent":
    1. Drive around with the A/C on for a couple miles (or on your way home from work).
    2. Shut the A/C off about a minute before parking leaving the blower on. Should feel it get humid.
    3. Park the car, shut if off and leave the ignition key in a position that allows the HVAC system to work.
    4. Manually choose the middle level vents and Medium-High fan speed.
    5. Open the front doors and close the middle dash vents and the rear seat vent. This diverts all the air to the door vents, but since the doors are open, all air is diverted outside of the car.
    6. Pop the hood and open the HVAC filter housings. Spray Lysol “Country Scent” in each side for 5-10 seconds.
    7. Shut the car off and let sit overnight.
    8. Repeat this same process the next day.

My theory is that by spraying the Lysol into a humid system and giving the water from the humidity and the Lysol a chance to combine and kill the bacteria that are producing the odor over night you will have a solution that will last for a couple of months. I used the heck out of the A/C over the Summer with no odor. Don’t get me wrong, I still feel the wall of humidity come at me if I start the car after having recently shut it down, but it does not stink. I hope this solution lasts as long for you as it has for me.
    "Dave" :
  • george94george94 Member Posts: 75
    Thanks for the instructions. I believe in my case it has nothing to do with the a/c unit as the smell doesn't get in the car itself. It is just a strange odor coming from left front side of my engine block. In the last 2 days it is not as strong as before. So, I am hoping some part was simply braking in...I do use a/c regularly, I live in northeast and summers are humid. None of my previous cars had any odors like this one or mold... As this car is my first bmw, is it something I need to watch for?

People in the southern parts? Any comments?
  • warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    I'm in Charlotte, NC, with a four-month old 530iA. This is the rainiest spring and summer in recent memory and I've had no problems. People still comment that the car smells like the showroom.
  • gncgnc Member Posts: 27
    I'm a potential new BMW owner (finally got rid of the Mercedes ML 320!) and have narrowed down the options to the '03 530iA vs. 540iA. I test drove the base 530iA and was truly impressed. I have been offered the 5301A with cold weather package, premium package, sport package, and xenon headlights for $43,555 (+tax, tag, and fees) but think I can bring the price down into the $42,000 range. I haven't driven the sport package and am a little concerned about the overall experience. I also have a preliminary offer of a 540iA with the cold weather package and premium sound for $48,300 but think I may be able to bring this down to the $46,000 range. I haven't driven the 540iA and am uncertain about which vehicle I should select. Any advice?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Sounds like you are getting - and think you can get an even better deal on the 540iA than the 530ia.

The prices you have been offered appear to be $100 over invoice on the 530i, and $1,330 under invoice on the 540ia. You think you can get an additional $1,555 off the 530ia and an additional $2,300 off on the 540ia? Relative to invoice, that's about $1,500 under invoice on the 530ia, but over $3,600 under invoice on the 540ia.

Except for one thing, I'd go with the 540ia. The one thing is that it doesn't have the sport package. Adding that, along with the gas guzzler tax it requires, totals another $5,000 pushing the price well into the low $50's.

Some have claimed the 530i sport actually handles and steers slightly better than the 540i sport. Lighter weight, rack and pinion steering, etc. benefit the 530i. But without a doubt, the 530i sport will outhandle and steer a non-sport 540i. So you need to decide if handling or raw power is your priority. I haven't driven a 530ia, but the 530i 5-speed is quick enough for me.
  • cbs03cbs03 Member Posts: 9
    I was looking at a 2001 525i Automatic today. Perfect color and everything, but is the power noticably less than the 530i ? Is the 530i worth the extra $4,000 or so for more engine ?

Thanks in advance!
    I want a car I am going to love, but always nice to save some cash as well!
  • mtjohnmtjohn Member Posts: 34
    cbs03
    I recently purchased a 530iA after test driving a 525iA. The 525i was a phenominal experience coming out of my '96 Volvo 850--which I thought was a pretty decent car until driving the 525i. I saw some pretty great deals on the 525i and was close to buying one. Then I test drove a CPO 2001 530i that had 9,300 mi. on it SP, PP, PS,split folding seats, Xenons (everything but CWP & Nav). Bottom line is the 530i is noticably quicker off the line with great mid range acceleration compared to the 525. My feeling is that I am already splurging on a fine sport/luxury sedan (notice "sport" comes first)why not get the extra power? Plus, the BMW eggs you on to drive it a little harder because it is so fun to drive. After you get completely acclimated to the car, I think you will want the extra kick--especially if you have the sport package. My vote is for the 530i. Many auto reviewers and BMW owners feel that the 530 is the "sweet spot" in the 5er line up (performance vs. cost). But if you just want a terrific sedan for commuting, etc. the 525i will still excite and exceed expectations. Don't forget to consider a CPO--great deals to be had with 6 year 100,000 mi. warrantee.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    When you have BMW in your DNA and are finally ready to jump in, the decision can drive you crazy. It took me months to sort things out. In the end, bang for the buck pointed me to the 530. The 0-60 rating difference is considerably greater going from 525 to 530 than it is from 530 to 540. Paying $8K more for the 540 getting a little more power and a little less handling was not worth it to me. I would have preferred spending another $20K on the M5 for serious testosterone but the little woman can't do stick (no wisecracks please). Am I happy?

Yeah, under the circumstances I suppose so. However, when I hear stories like riez reporting 140 mph in his 540, and see the occasional sultan of speed skulking around the turnpike in an M5, I feel like a dog watching a steak on the grill.

Final thought--cars are not an investment, they're an expense, so if the checkbook is replete the heart has to rule. If ever I doubt the wisdom of this, I just ask myself why I didn't buy a Camry and somehow the truth becomes amazingly clear.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    gnc: the price you were offered for the 540iA is only $2K more than what Edmunds used car pricing is for a 2002 530iA with all the same equipment and 20K miles on it.. GRAB that deal..!!
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    cbs03 & gnc... An automatic in a 5 Series seems somewhat self defeating, but you won't go wrong with 530ia. Think only way to go is Sport Pkg. (Love my 540i6.)

gnc... I'd take a 530ia Sport over a base 540ia, but I'd take a 540ia Sport over a 530ia Sport.

cbs03... The 525ia is forced to work hard, due to car's weight. (Just look at the EPA results for 525ia and 530ia.) My wife's 323ia has to work hard, though it is fun and livable. The 525ia has to work harder.

Key is to thoroughly test drive these cars. Get what works for you and that you can afford. Don't buy a car that makes you poor. But don't compromise on a car that leaves you wanting a lot more.
    Habitat1:

Thanks for the perspective.

The numbers I have for the 530iA with premium package, sport package, cold weather package, and xenon are:
    MSRP-48,075
    Invoice-41,865
    TMV-40,987

The numbers I have for the 540iA with cold weather package and premium sound are:
    MSRP-53,600
    Invoice-48,935
    TMV-48,181

I am interested in readers perspectives on these two vehicles regardless of the asking price. Does the sport package provide a "harsh and rigid" ride compared to the standard 530iA? Has anyone driven and compared the 530iA sport to the 540iA? The 540iA has the color scheme I prefer-titanium silver and black. Thanks in advance for any responses!
    I just redid the math on the 530iA. The correct numbers are:

MSRP-48,075
    Invoice-43,960
    TMV-43,082

Latest offer from a dealer-42,300.

I understand the comment about a sport package and an automatic transmission being mutually exclusive. Unfortunately the other rare drivers of this vehicle will insist on an automatic and its been years since I drove a manual transmission.
    gnc... Sport Pkg is a wonderful option, for both manual transmission- and automatic transmission-equipped cars. Most posters here who have it, myself included, swear by it. Best single option. Too bad all BMWs didn't come standard with Sport Pkg. But more and more buyers each year are buying it. Really brings out the best in any BMW. Unlike so many other marques, it improves handling, steering, and braking without degrading ride. The cost is reasonable.
  • seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    seivwrig... Doesn't the King James version of the Bible answer this question? Spare the rod (stickshift), spoil the child? ... Minister Riez, I believe you are correct here. maybe, I should sent my daughter to England for the summer, where she will not have a choice but to drive a manual. None of my family members in Europe own automatics. Not that I am a fan of SUV or trucks but the dynamics of driving a rear wheel drive truck with a manual forces you to learn to drive. One wrong move will send the tail into a spin. If I could afford to do this, I would buy my daughter a E30 320i manual, no electronics to save you.
    I agree with riez. The sport package takes a standard 5 series (which handles a notch or two better than an E-class), and puts it it above everything else in it's class, handling wise. In my extensive test drives, I did not ever feel the ride was too harsh. But I don't think a Honda S2000 is too harsh and found the M5 to shift like butter, so perhaps I have a different yardstick.

I strongly suggest you drive both cars. I can't imagine anyone not wanting a sport package after a test drive, but I acknowledge it's a personal decision.
  • erad98erad98 Member Posts: 23
    The final pricing I have been quoted on the 530ia with sport, premium, cold, and xenon is $42,300.

The final pricing I have been quoted on the 540iA with cold and sound is $46,500.

I hope this helps anyone else actively shopping for these great vehicles. Happy hunting!
  • c341c341 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for insight into what the dealer will actually accept for a 540i I'm interested in. I saw that TMV was about $500 below invoice, is that realistic, or could I do better? The MSRP is $59,280. The dealer has 3 540's left in inventory and about 10 530's.
  • jughead5jughead5 Member Posts: 10
    I am picking up a new 530i soon and want to run synthetic oil in it. From what I have read it is better than traditional petroleum oil. I plan to do the changes myself (every 8k miles). Any comments or opinions on this?
  • jughead5jughead5 Member Posts: 10
    c341 - Based on the $4000 in incentives still available to dealers, you should START your negotiations roughly $3500 under current invoice. Most are closing deals anywhere from 3k to 1k under invoice. It does depend on what you want in it. If you're not very picky you have more leverage and more options. If you want specific options and color combos your pickings may be getting slim, so you may have to pay a bit more....Also, if a dealer has to get the car from another dealer, expect to pay at least $700 more and he may be less inclined to deal because its more work for him and it does not reduce his on site inventory. Good luck....
  • c341c341 Member Posts: 2
    Jughead5 - Thanks, I was not aware of the 4K in incentives, is that a munufacturers rebate they are not advertising. The car I will negotiate for is on his lot and fairly well loaded, Sprts package etc. Invoice is about $53,500. I probed the brand new sales rep about their level of motivation and he reported that they would not go below invoice and did not indicate any rebates. Did not sit down with the decision maker though. Your thoughts?
  • bmwgurubmwguru Member Posts: 51
    Jughead, you are required to use a synthetic in the 530i. BMW uses a 5w30 synthetic made by Castrol.
  • corkdsp1corkdsp1 Member Posts: 9
    Not sure about August but in June/July its well documented on this site dealer rebates of $4500 on 540 and $4000 on 530. I think 525 was $3500. Also heard some dealers wont reveal Mfg incentive unless you make them aware you know about it
  • 67healy67healy Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for all your advice. I picked up my new 2003 525i this weekend. I have only owned the car for 2 days and think i'm a bmw owner for life. Now if I can only get the car away from my wife. Thanks again.
  • bmwnewbie1bmwnewbie1 Member Posts: 6
    I am in the process of finalizing a deal for a new 525i (purchased for $550 below invoice--the best deal I could come up with from my local dealer after threatening to buy out-of town at the same price). While sitting down with the business manager of the dealership doing the paperwork, she presented me with a choice of 4 different optional packages that added from $1200-4800 to the negotiated price of the car. These options included an extended service contract; a paint protection contract for 5 years which covers damage from acid rain (not covered by BMW warranty); a tire and wheel guarantee which provides flat tire replacement, 24 hour road assistance and covers wheels and tires against road hazard damage, also for 5 years. The only two of these I was considering were the paint guarantee ($618) which also included a package of car-care products and the tire and wheel guarantee ($495). I figure if I have ever had a flat or blow-out and damaged a wheel, this coverage would pay for itself.
    I am interested in anyone's inputs--are these options worth it or is it just another way for the dealer to increase his profit?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    That all sounds like a dealer's way to make a nice extra profit for themselves. The wheel and tire package sounds interesting, but look at what it offers IN WRITING. There is probably some limit to what you can claim for this type of damage. I'm sure they're not going to just give you a new wheel every time you rub up against a curb.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• hoopsrefhoopsref Member Posts: 140
    First, I don't know where you live, but you should be able to get the car for at least $2,000 below the invoice if not more! You may consider driving a little to save a grand or more!
    I did not get the EXTRAS or add ons you are being thrown. I know others on this board agree that some dealers just try to stack up these charges. If you have not signed, I would consider ANY other dealer. Anyone else agree or disagree? Good luck. (I hae helped several others here who had dealers not willing to deal. You can email me if you want more details.)
  • 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    I agree with hoopsref that you should be able to get at least $2000 below invoice but even that you should watch out for junk fees that will tag on for processing the paperwork. If I were you I would not bother with paint protection and the other add-ons because most of the time it spell "rip-off" since some of them are not necessary and the mark-up is about 200-300%. Good luck and keep us posted.
    bmwnewbie1... Sounds like your dealer is trying to rip you off at the last minute by trying to sell you all these additional services. I'd say no to all of them and I'd be leery of this dealer.

Your new 525i already comes with roadside assistance, including for flat tires.

If you regularly wash and wax your car carefully you won't need any paint protection.

You should ask the parts department how much a replacement wheel costs. Unlikely you'll hurt one let alone two. (Check other BMW part suppliers for their wheel price.)

Your new 525i already comes with 4/50 b-to-b warranty plus 4/50 free maintenance. I'm not a fan of 3rd party extended warranties. BMW is not the provider. Who is the 3rd party extended warranty? What are the fine print details? Deductible? Items not covered? Can you go to any BMW dealer for repairs? How are repairs paid: directly by the insurance company or do they reimburse you?
    To add my voice to the others, you are NOT getting a good deal. Between the nomimal discount on the 525's price and the packages you are considering, you could come to Washington DC and drive away with a new 530i.

My advice would be to rip up the paperwork and start over, before it's too late.
  • hoopsrefhoopsref Member Posts: 140
    Well. it seems I am not alone. Run, Forest, run!
    Rip up the papers. You can do better. Check my prior post #299, 302, 307 & 359. Don't let this dealer trap you into thinking he is giving you a great deal.
  • diver110diver110 Member Posts: 67
    I am curious how many people have had something exotic go wrong in the first 100,000 miles they have owned their 5-series and conversely how many have not had exotic problems. By exotic I mean things like the ac failing, transmission problems, significant engine problems, but not new waterpumps and the like.
  • diver110diver110 Member Posts: 67
    Speaking of the posts on the sport package, everyone seems to agree it really helps handling. So far I have resisted adapting my 540iA because I fear the cost of bending rims on crummy Baltimore streets. If anyone has been driving the sports package on bad streets without much trouble, I would love to hear about it.
    diver110... My '98 540i6 was put in service 2/98. I bought her CPO, 11/01, at about 52,000 miles. She now has about 78,000 miles. I have NOT had any major problems (knock on wood). The LED dash computer light display module was replaced as some lights were no longer functioning in the read out. Most of my expense has been a new set of tires (ContiSportContact2s) and a Schedule 2.

Sport Pkg takes a great car and makes it even better. The average base BMW 3 or 5 Series already outhandles 90 percent of other cars. The Sport Pkg improves significantly on that already high level.
  • dixiechicken1dixiechicken1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 528 manual (another must-have, in my opinion, but I'm just a girl, so what do I know). The manual plus sport is a great combo but any 5 series BMW is going to be a great car. I've enjoyed reading this board but would like to ask 2 things- anybody know of a good tar remover? And an A/C question- my A/C (in auto mode) seems to be surging and then abruptly cutting off (the fan, that is). The fan speed indicator will be fairly low and then the fan speeds up (with the indicator staying constant and not moving at all) then slows down. Occasionally the fan will cut off very momentarily.I'm sure it's going to take a service visit but I'd like to act like I know what I'm talking about. Thanks.
  • karmikankarmikan Member Posts: 116
    Does your car have an auto-recirc? My 03 530 fan sounds as if it's varying speed sometimes but the indicator shows the same speed. This seems to happen mostly when I'm in traffic and it might be that the system is switching from outside air to recirc as the sensor detects pollution.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    It could be the final stage resistor failure. It has happened to a few people on another list.
  • bodegajoebodegajoe Member Posts: 3
    On a 2001 540i with navigation system the longitude, latitude and altitude were displayed when the new car was driven from the dealer. Some weeks later a CD changer was installed by another dealer and problems developed with noise (big noise) blasting out on occasions. Back to dealer for fix of noise problem and on return longitude, latitude, altitude are no longer displayed. Yesterday on a service call dealer changed CD changer to solve noise problem (not) and said the longitude etc. readout only worked with a car cell phone. The only cell phone I have is in my pocket. Any words of advice I can impart to the dealer's service department is appreciated.
    Karmikan, I don't think it is the recirc since it just started doing this and I've had the car 3 yrs. JB- final stage resistor failure! That sounds bad. Is that bad? What is that? Or, maybe along Kar's lines, some filter is clogged and the system thinks thee is a lot of pollution??
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    It is a little gizmo that controls the fan speed in automatic climate control system. There have been numerous cases of failures on another list. I am not sure how much it costs, but you may want to call a few places to compare.
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    67healy -- You're welcome, and congratulations! Enjoy your 5er.

diver110 -- After two years of driving my 530i SP on crummy D.C. streets, there has been absolutely no damage to the 17" rims. Granted, most of my time (including work commute) is spent in the burbs, but there are plenty of opportunities for rough roads in N VA too. Just keep your eyes open and watch your speed on really bad roads. Even if you do bend a rim, so what? You can swap it for the spare and send it out to be straightened. Small price to pay for the increased enjoyment and control of driving an SP-equipped 5 series.

Re 530ia vs. 540ia discussion -- All other things being equal, my slant is that the more torque you can put through a torque converter, the better the driving experience. This favors the 540ia. My experience with the 530ia is that low-end response through the Steptronic is not ideal (however, at higher rpm, it sings!). Also, kickdowns take forever - best mode is to keep it in Sport, then tap the lever for a demand downshift. All the foregoing can be avoided by sticking to the manual, but in my case, the wife factor prevailed.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Replacing the final stage resistor is very easy; no more than one hour, tops-and that's if you are all thumbs. Use your CCA discount, pick it up from some place like the BMW Store, Circle BMW, or Pacific BMW-and do it yourself. It's cake.
    Thanks to JB and Div1- when I called to make an appt. for the service and explained the fan prob the first thing he said was that it was the resistor. The car is still under warranty,so at least I don't have to worry about that.
  • chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    I have been driving a 02 530ia for almost 2 years. Great car that has been reliable, comfortable and fun to drive. However I did regret not ordering the Sport Pkg and manual (vs. the steptronic). I had hoped to use the ED program for my next 5-series but after seeing the pictures of the E60; I decided that this was not going to be. But there is a silver lining in the otherwise dark picture. I found one 03 530i with Sport Pkg on a dealers lot. With the aid of the current incentives, I will be taking delivery on Friday, my brand new Black Sapphire/Sand 530i with the Sport Pkg, Xenons, Premium, DSP Sound & Cold Weather Pkg.

I am curious to know if anybody has used a protective coating for the SP (style 42) rims.

Regards,
    Chris M

PS: Shipo, not sure if you are still active on the board but there will be a 2nd black sapphire sport in the southern NH area. Hope you don’t mind the company.
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    What changes have been made to the 530 between the '01 and '03 model years?

I am still stuck in my lease on my Saab and there are some amazing incentives on the few remaining 5 series. I spotted a 530iA with Sport, Premium, Winter and Xenons....AND IT IS IN THE COLOR I WANT..... But, i'll wait 'till next spring and get a used one.

What improvement, if any, is experienced with Dinan S upgrade? Does it yield a considerable increase in 0-60 time?
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    It's getting very close to your travel date, the weather has still been very good . Be sure to bring heavy sweaters for the night time, it can get pretty cool. Otherwise, have a great trip. Long trips up the coast can be spectacular and the bimmer just thrives and and it makes travelling more fun. Have a great time !
  • 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    May I ask what you are getting for the trade-in and the price of the new one? I am thinking about doing the same thing except my 02 530 is less than two years old.
  • sharrissharris Member Posts: 32
    Anyone have any experience with German Auto Body in Santa Clara? I'm considering going there for some body work on my front bumper. Any references/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Other changes may have been made, but I believe '02 was the first year they FINALLY put a CD player in the DASH (could be the first German car ever!) Now if they could only put in some decent cup holders...
  • chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    My current car is a 02 530ia w/ Premium, Xenons, Cold, DSP & the Heated Wheel. At the time of the appraisal, I had 25k miles on the odometer. The dealership gave me $34k for a trade-in price. To be more accurate I had the car for 20 months.

Regards,
    Chris M